ONGOING: Terrorist Attack on Hindon Airbase, Ghaziabad, UP

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

ONGOING: Terrorist Attack on Hindon Airbase, Ghaziabad, UP

Post by Rudradev »

http://www.republicworld.com/s/12287/at ... on-airbase

Firing has been reported in the outer perimeter of the Hindon airbase in Uttar Pradesh's Ghaziabad district late Tuesday evening.

As per reports, the security cordon has fired upon an intruder who was trying to jump a wall and enter into the Hindon airbase.

The intruder, whose identity is currently unknown, was injured on the leg and was handed over to the police after being given first aid.

The Hindon airbase has been on high alert over the past few days after an input by central security agencies of it being a target for terrorists.

More details are awaited.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Re: ONGOING: Terrorist Attack on Hindon Airbase, Ghaziabad, UP

Post by Rudradev »

Maybe just an attempt to breach by a single terrorist...

Man shot at high security Hindon airbase, was trying to enter IAF station

Sources said it is being ascertained whether the man has links with terrorist outfit

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/man- ... 89752.html
A man was shot at and injured, while attempting to scale the wall of high-security Hindon airbase on the outskirts of the national capital close to midnight today, police said.

Sujeet, a 25-year-old man from Pratapgarh in Uttar Pradesh tried to enter the air force station at around 11 pm last night.

As he ignored the warnings by security personnel to stop, he was shot in the left leg in order to immobilise him, SHO of Sahibabad police station Rakesh Kumar Singh said.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, an official said there was an IB alert about a possible attack by some terrorist outfits on the airbase.

Sources said it is being ascertained whether the man has links with terrorist outfits.

The security has been beefed up at the airbase.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

From yesterday... the airbase had received an alert that it was an LeT target.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/ ... 00255.html

NEW DELHI: The intelligence agencies have issued an alert warning that a group of six-seven Lashkar-e-Tayyaba (LeT) terrorists might hit the Indian Air Force bases in Uttar Pradesh, particularly the IAF base at Hindon in Ghaziabad.

According to the detailed threat report issued on Sunday by India’s external intelligence agency Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), “LeT has shown interest in launching attack against Indian Air Force bases in Uttar Pradesh, particularly Hindon, Ghaziabad.”

“Initial input reveals that some militants (probably 6 to 7) in Kashmir are preparing for an attack. The attack is likely to be launched during change of guard in the morning possibly at 0400 hours. Militants are likely to be equipped with AK 47 rifles, grenade launchers and hand grenades,” reads the alert.

The detailed threat report generated by RAW is being further corroborated by the Multi-Agency Centre under the Intelligence Bureau even as the IAF has been asked to further beef up security at its Hindon facility.

“Having suffered continuous setbacks at the hands of the security forces in Jammu and Kashmir and the overall tightening of the security measures in the hinterland, the LeT is desperate to carry out some spectacular action to register its presence once again and lift the morale of the demoralised cadres,” an Intelligence official said.

The official said recruitment of cadres is also adversely affected when the morale of the terrorist outfit is on a downslide. In addition, the LeT which collects donations from sympathisers, especially in the Middle East, is also hit when action is not executed for longer spells by the outfit.

The LeT is an extension of the Pakistan Army-Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) complex aimed at targeting India through terror attacks and bleeding the economy through circulation of fake Indian currency notes (FICN) besides radicalisation of the youth.

In January 2016, another Pakistan-sponsored terror group Jaish-e-Mohammad had hit the Pathankot airbase.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Maybe a probing attack or the initial recce guy
Hindon is undergoing MAJOR - MAJOR development in the last few years.
US origin transport and commando planes are based here

Neighbouring Shahdara in eastern Delhi is close, as are western UP hotspots where blending in is possible and local support is possible
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

^Honestly, striking Hindon is both very lucrative because of assets and also the most difficult of all Indian Air Bases.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

I saw the news clip. The man looked like your regular smackie and was unarmed and carrying nothing.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Thakur_B wrote:I saw the news clip. The man looked like your regular smackie and was unarmed and carrying nothing.
He claim that he was hungry and looking for food and only sat on the wall.
A Deshmukh
BRFite

Post by A Deshmukh »

can we change the title on this thread / or close this thread?
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Close it Guruji. I think there is not much in this matter.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

IB4TL

Anyway it is a bad idea to give live commentary here and attract this page as honeypot for #mediapimps
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

It can very well be a way to assess response time, and observe other airbase activities. This chap will be grilled "well done" before he will be let go.

P.S. This airbase is massive, how does security forces cover distances in case of an emergency on these airbases? A big wall and scarcely placed guard posts are not a big deterrent, as porkies and murcia have been hit hard on their airbases which were practically fortified.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

I agree with the suggestion to change the thread title. My apologies, I was in a hurry to alert forumites when I saw the first stories, which conveyed that this was a developing situation.

However, I think that the topic of successful interdiction of terrorist attacks (particularly against military installations) is worth discussing, particularly as jihadis have succeeded in this type of act in the past. While we do endless overwrought postmortems of Pathankot, maybe it's equally valuable to look at what went *right* in this case (and in similar cases, like when the Paki "fishing trawler" full of LeT terrorists was intercepted by the Coast Guard).

Disha-ji, the intent is exactly the opposite. Mediapimps jump on "intelligence failure", "security failure" etc. to proclaim #BlowToModi. How about highlighting the successes for a change? They are all too easily forgotten.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Prem wrote:
Thakur_B wrote:I saw the news clip. The man looked like your regular smackie and was unarmed and carrying nothing.
He claim that he was hungry and looking for food and only sat on the wall.
Guys Seelampur/Shahdara, slums are infested with illegal Bdeshis/malsis, and recently Rohingya. There was a report of widespread drug usage in this area. These guys can be cheap and easy recruits for ISI for any recce into airbases. I would not take this very lightly.
Wont quote exact location but in general since the Modi govt came and especially after P'kot, i have seen increase in security around military buildings. With explicit warnings that survivors will be shot at. Smackies are not zombies, I havent heard many just going into military bases before. This migth be a probing tactic in general.
PS: Have you seen Kamless soluchan video on youtube?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I am going to close the thread and can open if something turns up.
ramana