71st Republic Day - Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
jaysimha
BRFite

Re: 71st Republic Day - Discussions

Post by jaysimha »

Padma Awards 2020 Announced

Padma Awards - one of the highest civilian Awards of the country, are conferred in three categories, namely, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. The Awards are given in various disciplines/ fields of activities, viz.- art, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service, etc. ‘Padma Vibhushan’ is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service; ‘Padma Bhushan’ for distinguished service of high order and ‘Padma Shri’ for distinguished service in any field. The awards are announced on the occasion of Republic Day every year.

These awards are conferred by the President of India at ceremonial functions which are held at Rashtrapati Bhawan usually around March/ April every year. This year the President has approved conferment of 141 Padma Awards including 4 duo cases (in a duo case, the Award is counted as one) as per list below. The list comprises of 7 Padma Vibhushan, 16 Padma Bhushan and 118 Padma Shri Awards. 33 of the awardees are women and the list also includes 18 persons from the category of Foreigners/NRI/PIO/OCI and 12 Posthumous awardees.

rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

I do not understand why:
They have to colour missile in weird colours. Tip is red then there is bright yellow. Why not keep it khaki or dull green
Camo of vehicle is bright green ? NATO vehicles are painted in rough green or grey. On Brussels ring road I notice this everyday. From far the it looks as if its just haze. You notice them when they are 100m from you.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

somdev wrote: Sycophancy has no limits! A man whose father/family has Indian soldiers blood on their hands is being decorated for what? The father a close aide of that Bhutto swine! Peddling magnanimity? There are no other singers in Bollywood worthy of such award?

Get your moral compass right!
Is this your outrage of the day for today?
A man whose father/family has Indian soldiers blood on their hands is being decorated for what?
For his contribution to arts, I believe.

Tell you what, if you can find something to show that the son's sympathies lie with his father and with Pakistan, and that his art has no merit, or that he was involved in seditious activities against India, then your argument has some weight. "Are there no other worthy singers" is a worthless argument. You're just following nepotism in a different way. So once you're born in the wrong family, there's no redemption for you? Wonder what Shri Narasimha would think of that one!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Haridas wrote:What I found notable is the PM was received by Raksha mantri followed by Raksha rajya mantri, then CDS, followed by service chiefs and in the end Raksha Sachiv (IAS).

IIRC previously for many years Raksha sachiv (IAS) will greet before service chiefs; now he (IAS) is at end of line, exactly as per GoI gazetted pecking order :twisted:

Happy day
Yes it is a significant change in 71 years and not many saw this or understood this change.
The CDS, and military chiefs receiving the PM at R-Day parade which is their parade.

Babus are where they should be.
All are a sea change from the Congress years.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

I think BJP has stated that if foreign origin is a factor to exclude, then Rajmata is a candidate! But some jhants are burning, but what goes my father?
https://www.news18.com/news/politics/ca ... 75645.html
Award on Merit, Got Indian Citizenship after 18 Years: Adnan Sami Amid Oppn Criticism on Padma Shri
Sami said his patriotism and allegiance is towards India and getting the award is purely on his merit as a musician and has nothing to do with his father.
Marya Shakil | CNN-News18maryashakilUpdated:January 27, 2020.

Gautam
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

^ So previously you were judging the guy by his father, now you're judging him by his son!

My point still stands. Please go by the words and actions of the guy himself, not of his relatives. Many folks on BRF also have p-sec relatives. Would be nice to be judged and labeled on that basis, no? If anybody genuinely wants into the dharmic way, they should be welcomed into it, not bullied away (that's what the Kashmiri Pandits did back then, and they sure paid for it generations later).
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

I watched the parade twice - first live on a relatively poor system, then again on a better television. Makes a world of difference.

I agree, there could have been more marching contingents, missed Gorkha Rifles and the Madras Regiment for example. And my pet peeve with DD, don't know why they more often than not fail to show the 'dahine dekh' part which is the most spectacular thing and not easy to pull off well. Also missed the all-women contingents although seeing Tanya Shergill made up for it in a big way.

Several states' floats were rejected including WB.

Loved the Para Commando hell march though the NSG did not participate this year, I can't recall if both did march in the same parade in the past - ?2016 maybe.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

banrjeer
BRFite

Post by banrjeer »

somdev wrote:
sudarshan wrote:
Is this your outrage of the day for today? For his contribution to arts, I believe.

Tell you what, if you can find something to show that the son's sympathies lie with his father and with Pakistan, and that his art has no merit, or that he was involved in seditious activities against India, then your argument has some weight. "Are there no other worthy singers" is a worthless argument. You're just following nepotism in a different way. So once you're born in the wrong family, there's no redemption for you? Wonder what Shri Narasimha would think of that one!
Yes I am allergic to anything Porkistan .... they are an ungrateful lot!

Like this chap. ... a nation of turncoats and hypocrites

https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/celebr ... 2019-09-04

Adnan Sami's father carried out orders and was doing his job as a soldier. This is honorable and very different from Indians who are burning buses and trains. I would choose his dad any day over Kapil Sibal types who are funded by the PFI.

Theres a small but growing stream of Pakistani supporters of not just India but Modi and BJP.