India's Border Security with China and Pakistan-2020

NRao
BRF Oldie

Re: India's Border Security with China and Pakistan-2020

Post by NRao »

China sure knows how to get things done.
Rs_singh
BRFite

Post by Rs_singh »

NRao wrote:Eye On China Aggression, US Defense Bill Seeks To Include India, Japan, Australia
The text of NDAA 2021, for the fiscal year beginning October 1, was introduced in the Senate on Thursday.
NRao,

All of this is welcome IF it happens, however, going by our beloveds in the EAM it may never materialize for fear of annoying China. The total joke of a statement that the MEA releases everyday is something to the effect of what every moron in middle school does when trying to warn a bully he knows he can’t take on “try it one more time and then I’ll show you” where one more time really means do whatever you want, I’ll only stand here and :((
Luit
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Luit »

abhik wrote:
They actually used the word silver bullet :roll:
We need more silver bullets!

1. There is no need to buy inferior Indian guns like Dhanush and ATAGS – we must get gold plated M777 and Thunder. A couple of Batteries will be Godsent. Less said about the PInaka the better. Only 40 kms range in current version… Sheesh!
2. Oh! And please a few Apaches [06 Nos in a special gravy train] – the current 60 odd Rudras don’t cut it with the Helina.

We need more silver bullets. Alas!
rpartha
BRFite

Post by rpartha »

Let me add one more thing while I feel like typing.. never had a chance to profusely Thank the Bihari brothers... in the frontline- it's not always about fighting for the flag.. it is about fighting for the fallen brothers too... we have to take care of each other in the hostile territory. On the night of June 15th, the Bihari brothers did something that no one expected them to do when they saw their CO died in the hands of Chinese.. Mark my words - it's a turning point and people will read about the bravery of those boys years to come...
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

"There is no need to buy inferior Indian guns like Dhanush...less said about the Pinaka..."

Yes, no need to give money to Indian manufacturers of equipment. Give it to Americans, Russians, Israelis, French, British..anyone but Indians.
rpartha
BRFite

Post by rpartha »

Rs_singh wrote:
NRao wrote:Eye On China Aggression, US Defense Bill Seeks To Include India, Japan, Australia
The text of NDAA 2021, for the fiscal year beginning October 1, was introduced in the Senate on Thursday.
NRao,

All of this is welcome IF it happens, however, going by our beloveds in the EAM it may never materialize for fear of annoying China. The total joke of a statement that the MEA releases everyday is something to the effect of what every moron in middle school does when trying to warn a bully he knows he can’t take on “try it one more time and then I’ll show you” where one more time really means do whatever you want, I’ll only stand here and :((
It will happen... Non alignment is a self strangulation which we have done to our self for a long time.. even though China cleverly tried to project itself as non aligned between USSR and US - they aligned whenever it suited their needs...

We need tech and support and let's make ourself strong... prob some of these Chinese funds are used to keep us non aligned for a long time..

Also in the past only CENTCOM were chasing India but now PACOM is also involved.. and other institutions too... so we can relax a little bit about whether any change in presidency will affect us... there is a still a chance but those chances are less and also we dont have much choice either... touchwood of course the Nehruvian morons inside the country can do anything..
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Rs_singh wrote:
Nrao,

I would agree, but I very much doubt the DoD would actually allocate funds without first consulting on such matters. For all I know DoD may have proposed it and got an OK from the three nations in the past few weeks.

But, in the bigger scheme of things, this is a very small cog. Outside of Malabar, this seems to be the first tangible non-conference act.

Besides. China just broke MEA's bubble. I just cannot think with what face Jaishankar can say that India has well-established mechanisms to deal with China.
Also in the past only CENTCOM were chasing India but now PACOM is also involved..
The other way around. USDoD wanted an Indian liaison at USPACOM - IN and USPACOM work very closely, have been for around 20 years now. India wanted and got a liaison to sit at CENTCOM.

Meanwhile, I am hearing RVV-MD, RVV-SD, R-27ER1 and R-27ET1 have started arriving in India. Please check/verify.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

The formal or informal demand from the Chinese side must have been stoppage of all border improvement work. This is another way to signal as also to speed up work.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... rONBL.html
Govt gives salary hike of upto 170% to people working on building roads in border areas: Report
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

NRao wrote:Meanwhile, I am hearing RVV-MD, RVV-SD, R-27ER1 and R-27ET1 have started arriving in India. Please check/verify.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

^^
Per someone on twitter, 2 plane load stuff already delivered in the last 2 days.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

pankajs wrote:^^
Per someone on twitter, 2 plane load stuff already delivered in the last 2 days.
time to stock up! As Saurav Jha says....

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/127 ... 66400?s=20 ---->

America: 'We want to mediate, We want to mediate, me, me.'
Russia: 'We will not mediate.'

Indian Defence Minister flies to Moscow.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

300 MDs, 400 SDs (could be the other way around) and 300 R-27s mixed.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

I really hope IAF is testing/tested this with a ku seeker in air to air mode..our version of PL15

It will be a nice little surprise for Chino AWACS and transports.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

nam, you know the beauty in that picture?

Astra - local maal
NGARM - local maal
BrahMos - mostly local maal :)
Rs_singh
BRFite

Post by Rs_singh »

Rakesh wrote:
pankajs wrote:^^
time to stock up!
How is it every time that a conflict appears close we are caught with our pants down? Why are these not held in stock? I remember doing something similar after balakot? Why is defense preparedness relegated to the sidelines and never taken seriously in this country? Maybe I’m preaching to choir here.
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

My once-in-a-month rant:

After reading the previous 25 or so pages, all my six decades of instincts have gone on full alert. As a born contrarian, my gut feelings warn me that these "obvious" incursions by PLA in Ladakh, Naku-la and Doklam are/were, crudely put, simple diversionary tactics. For PLA, the casualties on its side are purely statistics.

In 1962, Galwan (yes, the same valley) was also a diversion and the main thrust by PLA using waves and waves of conscripts was later in NEFA region (BRF'ers from my era will recognize this acronym) which was hundreds of miles away to the east. Nehru and Menon fell for this subterfuge, and, with sounds of hindi-chini-bhai-bhai ringing in their heads, they thought that they had the matter amicably under control. I hope Modi, Doval and Shah are better at reading the Chinese.

In the same thesis, I believe that the recent stationing of a few token air crafts on paki airfields are also part of this diversion.

Arunachal Pradesh is the real prize. PLA already has Aksai Chin (or Aksai Hind; or what ever you want to call it). So, why rock the boat? Whereas, CPC and PLA have always been blatant about claiming Arunachal Pradesh. http://www.phayul.com/2020/04/21/43163/

Therefore, a word to the leadership that may be reading this: watch and beef up your flanks to the east. Way east!

I hope I am proven wrong. That's it for now.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rs_singh wrote:How is it every time that a conflict appears close we are caught with our pants down? Why are these not held in stock? I remember doing something similar after balakot? Why is defense preparedness relegated to the sidelines and never taken seriously in this country? Maybe I’m preaching to choir here.
Sir, you are preaching to the choir :)

The sad reality is in a year most people will forget Colonel Santosh Babu and his 20 men who gallantly lied down their lives at Galwan. To not forget their sacrifice, the MoD should also review the list in the link below and sanction them.

https://twitter.com/Maverick_bharat/sta ... 1511667712
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

amar_p wrote:The best way out of this historic claims and counter claims dating back to over a century of "where is the border" is to free Tibet from Chinese occupation. With a free TIbet, India can have a reasonable border discussion or even leave it loosely defined.

If Tibet is lost, a domino effect will kick in. XinJiang will declare independence too. TIwan, Inner Mongolia and a few other regions will follow.

Balkanisation of China is the foundation required for peace in 21st century. But for that, we must first put in an enormous amount of effort to liberate Tibet first and then defend its borders with China. This is something India cannot do alone for military and economic reasons.

An alliance of US, Australia, Japan and Australia will be required, with Russia remaining at least neutral.

Possible in the next decade.
China's push at subjugating India is part of a larger struggle with the US.

All great powers create buffers around them consisting of lesser countries and seas and oceans. The US has Canada and Mexico, the Atlantic Ocean and NATO on the other side and in the Pacific it has Hawaii and Guam for it's defensive posture.

The former USSR had the East Bloc, now gone as it's status as a superpower has disappeared.

The British Empire in India ensured a buffer with the Russian Empire via Afghanistan and with China via Tibet. Unfortunately when Banditji became PM he had no clue about empire strategy. Mao did and barely 2 years after the takeover of China by the CCP, the PLA started making moves on Tibet. By the time India woke up, Tibet was no longer the buffer that it was during the British Empire days.

Inland, Han China has Tibet and Xinjiang as a buffer, a huge landmass protecting it's core nationality. Seaward it is trying to secure total control of the first island chain e.g Scarborough Shoals in the South China sea which has been militarized by China including basing fighter jets and S-300 SAMs, is 800 kms from Hainan Island the closest Chinese position on the mainland but only 200 km from the Philippines.

The first island chain runs south from the Japan down to the tip of Indonesia. China's objective is to evict all US bases from within this chain and to be able to successfully interdict US naval forces in this chain.

China also has an Arabian Sea/Indian Ocean chain plan running from Gwadar in Pakistan down to Djbouti where it already has a naval base down to the Horn of Africa.

And China has plans for a second and then a third island chain in the Pacific eventually hoping to confine US forces west of the Hawaii, so that it has total control east of the Persian Gulf along the shores of Africa all the way up to the Hawaii.

In this enormous empire/zone of influence that China is trying to create, the fly in the ointment is India. It is not paying tribute to the Han Emperor. And so China will do whatever is needed, internal destabilization, coercive diplomacy, military sabre rattling, destabilizing neighbors such as Nepal, Bhutan and Sri Lanka to intimidate India and make it accept China's overlordship.

So you are correct. For balance to be restored, Tibet has to once again become a buffer between India and China. That has to India's objective. And all that is needed for that objective to be realized has to be thought off and implemented. From civilian industrial production to grow the economy to developing a military industrial complex to alliances with other countries. Today India is in the fortunate position that virtually every country in the world wants to cut China down to size, barring Pakistan, North Korea and a few African countries.
Last edited by ldev on 27 Jun 2020 02:04, edited 3 times in total.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Rakesh wrote:nam, you know the beauty in that picture?

Astra - local maal
NGARM - local maal
BrahMos - mostly local maal :)
Yeh I was referring to NGARM. It is out and out a bigger Astra.

Put a Ku seeker and with dual pulse, it is definitely 200 km BVR.

Most of kit required to knock the chinis is all locally available. If only we hurry up.. :roll:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Ldev you are being charitable about Nehruji not knowing about Empire after writing so many histories.
I think you need to look at Mughal history to understand giving away Tibet.
It was a strategy to give away what you dont own to appease a hegemon.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

anupmisra wrote:My once-in-a-month rant:

After reading the previous 25 or so pages, all my six decades of instincts have gone on full alert. As a born contrarian, my gut feelings warn me that these "obvious" incursions by PLA in Ladakh, Naku-la and Doklam are/were, crudely put, simple diversionary tactics. For PLA, the casualties on its side are purely statistics.

In 1962, Galwan (yes, the same valley) was also a diversion and the main thrust by PLA using waves and waves of conscripts was later in NEFA region (BRF'ers from my era will recognize this acronym) which was hundreds of miles away to the east. Nehru and Menon fell for this subterfuge, and, with sounds of hindi-chini-bhai-bhai ringing in their heads, they thought that they had the matter amicably under control. I hope Modi, Doval and Shah are better at reading the Chinese.

In the same thesis, I believe that the recent stationing of a few token air crafts on paki airfields are also part of this diversion.

Arunachal Pradesh is the real prize. PLA already has Aksai Chin (or Aksai Hind; or what ever you want to call it). So, why rock the boat? Whereas, CPC and PLA have always been blatant about claiming Arunachal Pradesh. http://www.phayul.com/2020/04/21/43163/

Therefore, a word to the leadership that may be reading this: watch and beef up your flanks to the east. Way east!

I hope I am proven wrong. That's it for now.
Read you loud and clear.
All I can say is await the Guns of Narvane.

Kali will get chand or mund this time.
Rs_singh
BRFite

Post by Rs_singh »

Rakesh wrote:
Rs_singh wrote:How is it every time that a conflict appears close we are caught with our pants down? Why are these not held in stock? I remember doing something similar after balakot? Why is defense preparedness relegated to the sidelines and never taken seriously in this country? Maybe I’m preaching to choir here.
Sir, you are preaching to the choir :)

The sad reality is in a year most people will forget Colonel Santosh Babu and his 20 men who gallantly lied down their lives at Galwan. To not forget their sacrifice, the MoD should also review the list in the link below and sanction them.

https://twitter.com/Maverick_bharat/sta ... 1511667712
Please Rakesh Ji, no sir for me.

As for sanctions, that’s all wishful thinking. In the entire history of this republic no one has been taken to task, period.

As for the East, so far, we don’t see a buildup happening, not that it couldn’t happen tomorrow. Something I am hoping someone on this forum could confirm for me since you mentioned NEFA, my grandfather fought in NEFA in 62. Specifically about your wave upon wave comment, he would tell us how only the first wave would be armed, when they would mow down the first wave, second wave would pick up the weapons from the first wave and carry on. I’ve never been able to substantiate this claim or find any references to it anywhere.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rs_singh wrote:Please Rakesh Ji, no sir for me.
On one condition only, as long as you don't call me ji.
Rs_singh wrote:As for sanctions, that’s all wishful thinking. In the entire history of this republic no one has been taken to task, period.
No accountability with the bureaucrats. That is really sad.
Rs_singh wrote:As for the East, so far, we don’t see a buildup happening, not that it couldn’t happen tomorrow. Something I am hoping someone on this forum could confirm for me since you mentioned NEFA, my grandfather fought in NEFA in 62. Specifically about your wave upon wave comment, he would tell us how only the first wave would be armed, when they would mow down the first wave, second wave would pick up the weapons from the first wave and carry on. I’ve never been able to substantiate this claim or find any references to it anywhere.
I don't recall making a comment about wave upon wave. Are you sure you have the right poster?

Knowing the Chinese, that is highly possible. Ramana-ji may know more about this.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

abhik wrote:
They actually used the word silver bullet :roll:
I would rather they deploy in theater than R Day parade.
Rs_singh
BRFite

Post by Rs_singh »

My apologies Sir, I was referring to the comment above by AnupMisra.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The threat is more from China than Pakistan. Would deploy 3 against China and two against Pakistan. But also explains a lot.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Shiv Kunal Verma's book might confirm. Let me see.
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

What is so special about the S-400? At the end of the day it is a networked system of radars & different types of SAMs.
Why is it seen as such a silver-bullet?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rakesh, Col. Babu and the gallant 16 Bihar will go down in history as a landmark battle. It won't be forgotten.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

VikramS,
Not time to ask such questions. Will tell later.
samirdiw
BRFite

Post by samirdiw »

Rs_singh wrote:
How is it every time that a conflict appears close we are caught with our pants down? Why are these not held in stock? I remember doing something similar after balakot? Why is defense preparedness relegated to the sidelines and never taken seriously in this country? Maybe I’m preaching to choir here.
Its not part of our culture. Unless there is a bamboo..occasionally you have a king or govt a little bit more conscious . That's about it. :P
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Vivasvat wrote:
RaviB wrote:From our perspective the choices are: submit, fight or my preferred option, fight later.
Fighting in 2022 will be termed by the ach-thoo's as an election stunt.
Don't care about Ackthoos.

No matter when we fight they'll say something:
Modi is warring to =
Win bihar elections
Win UP elections
Win bengal elections
go on and on ....
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

@Rs_singh,
How is it every time that a conflict appears close we are caught with our pants down?
What is "pants down" for you, is juggad for others? Guessing.
I’ve never been able to substantiate this claim or find any references to it anywhere.
Never happened the way you described per sources (one here)

@anupmisra,

There was one report (in Assamese?), early in the Ladakh event, that Chinse were patrolling well within Indian boundaries, way East in ArP. I never saw such a report again.

However, I can see their Southern Theater Command taking part, coming across Myanmar.

But, then do you think the IA's strike corp around that area will keep still? I would think something, somewhere will give way - via an Indian response.

Also, I have been wondering if it is time to start throwing China out of major bodies: WHO, WTO, and even perhaps the UN. Someone needs to float that balloon. More than radical - granted.
RaviB
BRFite

Post by RaviB »

Thread on SHA's military effectiveness
https://twitter.com/vinayak_jain/status ... 8699855872
Vinayak
@vinayak_jain

Presenting the most glaring points about the PLA from the report ‘China’s Incomplete Military Transformation’.

Human capital weaknesses stem directly from the personal characteristics of the individuals who make up the PLA.

Some of these weaknesses arise from the pool of potential recruits from which the PLA draws on for its annual conscription efforts, who are often under-educated and/or do not meet physical or even mental health standards.

PLA is the armed wing of the CCP and the guarantor of the ruling status, political prerogatives, and perquisites of the CCP. This may affect morale as soldiers and officers fight to preserve a system that benefits the 80 mn CCP members rather than the 1.3 bn Chinese people.

PLA has a tendency to avoid training sufficiently or under challenging conditions. Often, exercises are seen as failures if it does not win, so exercises are not seen as a chance to identify problems that can be remedied before actual wartime operations commence.

319 individuals in the Shenyang Military Region were disciplined for misbehavior during military exercises, mostly related to cheating to reduce the difficulty of carrying out field exercises or to ensure that successful results.

To meet recruiting goals, the PLA has lowered the minimum height requirement for recruits, raised the maximum weight limit, reduced eyesight standards, and even removed mental illnesses including schizophrenia, depression, and bipolar disorder, as barriers to recruitment.
Problems such as low morale, and lack of professionalism, including difficulties accepting military discipline and maintaining operational security arise from issues in Chinese society such as the ‘little emperor’ phenomenon of spoiled children due to the one-child policy.
·
The one-child policy produces recruits who are not tough enough to withstand military discipline. Senior Colonel Liu Mingfu of PLA National Defense University has related that ‘at least 70% of PLA soldiers were from one-child families and 80% among combat troops.’

To address the emotional and psychological needs of soldiers the PLA implemented a special training program for ‘spoiled boys and girls’ to strengthen their fighting capability. A soldier said “recruits usually need 2 years to adjust to life within a unit...”

”We would rather have talent and wait for equipment than have equipment and wait for talent,” (Zhang Yang, 2009).

”We must clearly acknowledge that the thinking of some officers and men with regards to supporting war is still not firmly established and that problems still exist in training, exercises, and testing in an improper, insubstantial, or lax manner.” (Zhang Jianshe, 2013).

One area that a number of Chinese sources discuss is perceived shortfalls in the quality of missile force personnel. Some emphasize shortcomings in the development of PLASAF NCOs (Xu Yeqing, Yu Wenwu, and Zeng Yuan, 2011) and lack of sufficiently high levels of professionalism.

The acting deputy chief of staff for the Nanjing Military Region Air Force, Ni Wenxin, recognises this problem due to ‘unrealistic, lax, and easy training.’ (Ni Wenxin, 2013). Ni even has a name for this malady — peace disease.

Lack of realistic training is a serious problem. This may have played a role in an incident that Pentagon spoke of as a ‘dangerous intercept’ of a P-8 Poseidon aircraft in August 2014 by a PLA aircraft in which the pilot ‘made several close passes’ and came ‘within 30 feet.’

The peace disease also affects air safety. An Air Force News article implored commanders to ‘reduce the number of accidents’ that were occurring due to ‘training not being organised correctly...standards not adhered to...training that emphasized the wrong subjects.’

Finally, the ability of instructor pilots is recognized as being poor. In early 2014, PLAAF Political Commissar Tian Xiusi called out the ‘chief instructor contingent’ for being the ‘weakest point’ in the basic fight training of the PLA.

I’ll come up with more such threads that present a clearer picture of the Chinese armed forces.

India’s very strength is hard training and actual experience that China can never match.

While China posts pictures of glorified drills, our soldiers kill actual terrorists each day.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Rs_singh wrote:SuryaG let me try to answer that question in two ways:
snipped
Rs Singh Sir, am making the same point as yours. All this business of LAC is based upon squatter logic. Post 1962 the border was not demarcated to even a minimal level of agreement. What we have is a situation where if you are on the land it is yours and the CCP is playing the game well. We have not many options left. Its time someone makes a call and goes to restore the original GSI maps that show our boundaries encompassing Aksai Hind and bear the consequences of a kinetic action. If we let this go we will constantly lose territory, more than territory we will be bleeding constantly. Am not sure what GoI is planning but whatever it is it better be towards a decisive end. I understand once you have started kinetic actions no one really knows what the outcome could be but at some point of time very soon we have to make a call. All this talk of we will be prepared on 2022/2030 is useless we have to take a stand and stick with it, of course, we dont know how bad our internal situation is which is why I wont second guess GoI's actions, they know a lot more than all of us.
Vivasvat
BRFite

Post by Vivasvat »

These former CNN reporters now work for the CCP as propaganda reporters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msgLJANFTyk
  • Sean Callebs
  • Anand Naidoo
  • Jim Spellman
  • Asieh Namdar
  • Karina Huber
Via CGTN and CCTV America
Last edited by Vivasvat on 27 Jun 2020 02:43, edited 1 time in total.
Rs_singh
BRFite

Post by Rs_singh »

NRao wrote:@Rs_singh,
How is it every time that a conflict appears close we are caught with our pants down?
What is "pants down" for you, is juggad for others? Guessing.
I’ve never been able to substantiate this claim or find any references to it anywhere.
Never happened the way you described per sources (one here).
NRao, you literally quoted quora and a nobody. Could you please use slightly higher quality references before shooting down first hand claims? Thanks.
Rs_singh
BRFite

Post by Rs_singh »

RaviB wrote:Thread on SHA's military effectiveness
Vinayak
@vinayak_jain

Presenting the most glaring points about the PLA from the report ‘China’s Incomplete Military Transformation’.

Human capital weaknesses stem directly from the personal characteristics of the individuals who make up the PLA.

Some of these weaknesses arise from the pool of potential recruits from which the PLA draws on for its annual conscription efforts, who are often under-educated and/or do not meet physical or even mental health standards.
Surprised but not really at how well this ties in with some of my own overstrain I’d mentioned earlier. Though I’m certain they too know this and would have some mitigating mechanism.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

RaviB wrote:Thread on SHA's military effectiveness
Vinayak
@vinayak_jain

That report (book?) is from 2015 - published then. The research work is probably much older.

And, I would not be surprised if Xi and the clan came to the same conclusion. For, in 2016 they reformed into the current Theater Command structure. The current structure is modeled after the US structure and granted it would need some time to gel. Having said that I would imagine the PLA has a lot of stiff joints - sleeping with full gear, etc, some hard to dispose of old thinking - more as a security blanket. But, they are a far more streamlined force today than from 2015 for sure. And, I can tell you they are moving to a full networked, AI-based force.
you literally quoted quora and a nobody. Could you please use slightly higher quality references before shooting down first hand claims? Thanks.
:). Jack is not good enough? OK, I will try and meet your standards.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

We should ignore such reports on PLA not able to field fighting men. They have a history of suicidal wars, coupled with 1.4 B people.

There will no be shortage of men to fight. And they have ideology, which is able to put enough brain washing in a man to make him run towards a enemy machine.

Let's stop underestimating our adversary.

Irrespective of their individual fighting capability, they have no shortage of kit.

100K rounds of 155MM or 100 BM fired by men who "could" run away on first sight of the enemy causes the same amount of damage as when fired by "brave" men.