http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... 0411071149

That's an AMRAAM.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Singha wrote:Statesman:
http://www.thestatesman.net/page.news.p ... 1&id=95486
Falcons take fight out of Left
Actually its a clever way to popularize the event.. more bang for the buck. else, how many commies would have turned for an exercise like this otherwise.

Its good for every exercise if we can make up lakhs of people to encircle airshows/exercises in protest, and then keep gazing at sky open mouth wide and brain shut.

It gives them deep awakenings! :twisted:
daulat
BRFite

Post by daulat »

and free screenings of border and kargil to remind the janata that there is a purpose to this

the aam janata free snacking CPI(M) voting bangali has national pride too
viveks
BRFite

Post by viveks »

Singha wrote:E3 lands
http://tinyurl.com/bvaf6
What a sight? :) :) :)
Laks
BRFite

Post by Laks »

viveks
BRFite

Post by viveks »

BR guys sitting at kalaikunda air base. Watch out for ISI prowling around.
Shishir
BRFite

Post by Shishir »

USAF PR machinery already at work..
U.S., Indian Airmen take next step in growing relationship
by Capt. John Redfield
Cope India Public Affairs

11/8/2005 - KALAIKUNDA AIR STATION, India (AFPN) -- The U.S. and Indian air forces opened the next chapter in their growing relationship when exercise Cope India 2006 began here Nov. 7.

About 250 Airmen from Pacific Air Forces join several hundred of their Indian counterparts for the two-week, dissimilar air combat training exercise in which simulated combat flying takes place among different types of aircraft.

“The reason we have come together for this exercise is so that we can work together,” said Indian Air Force Group Captain Hari Kumar, exercise director.

There are F-16 Fighting Falcons from Misawa Air Base, Japan, and an E-3 Sentry airborne warning and control system aircraft from Kadena AB, Japan, taking part in the exercise. The Indians will fly several MiG model aircraft, as well as the Su-30. Airmen are also participating from Yokota AB, Japan; Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii; and Andersen AFB, Guam.

“This exercise is a great opportunity for a number of reasons,” said Col. Rusty Cabot, the deployed U.S. forces commander. “It increases the interoperability between us and our fellow airmen from India, enhancing our collective ability to help maintain peace and stability in the region. "And we can cultivate our shared bonds as we train together side-by-side," he said.

Even before the exercise kicked off, the sharing of knowledge had begun in earnest. On Nov. 5, about 75 Indian airmen toured the AWACS, learning more about its mission. Pilots, air traffic controllers and leaders were impressed with what they saw, said Lt. Col. Pete Bastien, the AWACS detachment commander.

“In the same way we Americans are excited to see the MiGs up close so, too, were our Indian counterparts excited to see our aircraft,” he said. In fact, one Indian pilot returned early from his mission “because he heard we were giving tours of the aircraft, and he wanted to be sure to see it,” Colonel Bastien said.

This exercise is the third Cope India in three years. In 2002 the focus was on airlift operations. In 2004 F-15 Eagles from Elmendorf AFB, Alaska, deployed to India for an air combat exercise.

To prepare specifically for this exercise, Airmen from the two countries had a pair of exchange visits this past summer. Six Indian Airmen members visited Misawa, and two Misawa Airmen came here.
Link
Shishir
BRFite

Post by Shishir »

KALAIKUNDA AIR STATION, India (AFPN) -- Capt. Benjamin Freeborn and Indian Air Force Squadron Leader Tahir Shaikh discuss the order in which aircraft return to base following sorties during the Cope India exercise here. Captain Freeborn works in the air traffic control tower as the supervisor of flying for American Airmen. Squadron Leader Shaikh is the senior launch coordinator for Indian Airmen. Both deployed here for Cope India 06, which began Nov. 7. The exercise will enhance interoperability between the two air forces. (U.S. Air Force photo by Capt. John Redfield)
KALAIKUNDA AIR STATION, India (AFPN) -- F-16 Fighting Falcons, from the 13th Fighter Squadron at Misawa Air Base, Japan, and an E-3 Sentry airborne warning and control system aircraft from the 961st Airborne Air Control Squadron at Kadena Air Base, Japan, fill the flightline here. Both squadrons and Airmen from throughout Pacific Air Forces are here participating in the Cope India 06 exercise, which began Nov. 7. (U.S. Air Force photo by Capt. John Redfield)
KALAIKUNDA AIR STATION, India (AFPN) -- Capt. James Munroe explains E-3 Sentry airborne warning and control system aircraft capabilities to Indian Air Force radar officers during exercise Cope India '06 here. Captain Munroe is from the 961st Airborne Air Control Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan. The exercise began Nov. 7. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Martin Jackson)
KALAIKUNDA AIR STATION, India (AFPN) -- A 13th Fighter Squadron F-16 Fighting Falcon taxis past Indian Air Force MiG-27 fighters on the flightline here. American and Indian Airmen are participating in exercise Cope India 06, which began Nov. 7. The exercise will help enhance interoperability between the two air forces. The squadron deployed from Misawa Air Base, Japan. (U.S. Air Force photo by Capt. John Redfield)
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Interesting to note in the 2nd image that they brought a 2 seater F-16 ....maybe it is being used to give familiarisation flights to the IAF pilots who were unable to go to Misawa.

Admin Note please DO NOT QUOTE the ENTIRE REPLY while using the "Quote" function in replying.
Shishir
BRFite

Post by Shishir »

Aditya_M
BRFite

Post by Aditya_M »

Say what you want about the Americans, but they do bloody good PR. Time to catch up with them on this front too....
Praveen
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Praveen »

was the runway ever washhed ? :?: or do they ever wash it ?
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

Thanks Shishir,

Those were really cool pics, appreciate the effort.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Praveen wrote:was the runway ever washhed ? :?: or do they ever wash it ?
Ever hear the word "monsoon"?
hrishi
BRFite -Trainee

More pictures

Post by hrishi »

Please someone post some more pics frm the exercise........
viveks
BRFite

Post by viveks »

shiv wrote:
Ever hear the word "monsoon"?
I was going to say something even more catchy. Thank God some-one commented. Ghar aaye atidhi ke saath holi manao....hahahaha. Wash the runway....such a sidy comment....hahhaha
Samir
Webmaster BR

Post by Samir »

Given the IAF's notoriously poor PR, I'm not surprised that photos/articles like this are flying around (no pun intended) from the USAF while all we get from the IAF is the usual boilerplate stuff. Maybe there is more coverage available on Indian television but I doubt it.

And notice how USAF personnel are always photographed giving "gyaan" to the eager, curious, brown folk.

The one thing that always depresses me about exercises is realizing that foreign defense personnel have better access to our IAF bases than Indian citizens.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

I'll tell you one thing, Prateek. I live in the US right now and originally am from Baroda. almost everywhere I'v been in India, the dust and dirt is prevalent. It's not about you wanting to keep in clean or not ! even to keep our own compounds clean is an exercise ! I used to scrub our family car clean bnd by evening, a layer of dust would'v already formed on it..and you expect that the a runway will be cleaned for the Americans arrival ?! ingestion of debris may be a problem with dirty runways, but I'm sure that the IAF guys would've worried about it more than you or me. dont just be superficial..I for one, was very impressed seeing the few pics of Kalaikunda..appears to be a really huge airbase.
Samir
Webmaster BR

Post by Samir »

The IAF should just say to the USAF - "hey, when we got this base from you, it was already this dirty"
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

ha ha, this is priceless.

Protests show freedom of speech: US Air Force
The Left protest against Indo-US military exercise at Kalaikunda air force is an example of freedom of speech and expression in a democratic set-up, according to the US Air Force. ‘‘One of the reasons we serve in the military is to preserve freedom of speech in a democracy,’’ said Colonel David Cannon, Pacific Air Forces public affairs director.
Prateek
BRFite

Post by Prateek »

Kartik wrote:I'll tell you one thing, Prateek. I live in the US right now and originally am from Baroda. almost everywhere I'v been in India, the dust and dirt is prevalent. It's not about you wanting to keep in clean or not ! even to keep our own compounds clean is an exercise ! I used to scrub our family car clean bnd by evening, a layer of dust would'v already formed on it..and you expect that the a runway will be cleaned for the Americans arrival ?! ingestion of debris may be a problem with dirty runways, but I'm sure that the IAF guys would've worried about it more than you or me. dont just be superficial..I for one, was very impressed seeing the few pics of Kalaikunda..appears to be a really huge airbase.
Did I say something about dirt, cleanliness or anything like that?!
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Hehehe.....I noticed the same thing too over time....the pics always seem to have some usaf guy explaining some stuff and the IAF guys hanging onto every word(and unknown to the USAF guy secretly forming chankian strategies to defeat that technology!). Ofcourse we are poor brown rice eating short dark peepul onlee....we dont know anything about flying these sauphistikatud aircraft and were praying for this opportunity all along!:D

I am always amazed at how people seem to underestimate the Indian armed forces.....poorly trained blah blah....post Cope India 2004 it was funny to see all these guys on the airforce forums trying to rationalise why the F-15s got beaten by elderly bisons. Good for us since when the s*** hits the fan the other side is in for a surprise.
Samir wrote:Given the IAF's notoriously poor PR, I'm not surprised that photos/articles like this are flying around (no pun intended) from the USAF while all we get from the IAF is the usual boilerplate stuff. Maybe there is more coverage available on Indian television but I doubt it.

And notice how USAF personnel are always photographed giving "gyaan" to the eager, curious, brown folk.

The one thing that always depresses me about exercises is realizing that foreign defense personnel have better access to our IAF bases than Indian citizens.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Samir wrote: And notice how USAF personnel are always photographed giving "gyaan" to the eager, curious, brown folk.

That is part of the indoctrination
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

And notice how USAF personnel are always photographed giving "gyaan" to the eager, curious, brown folk
Well, ain't that clever? We are not photographed showing stuff because we don't show our stuff to anyone. And if the yankee want to show something, why not? More information can't hurt!
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

er.. i don't think so. its mutual.. its an american photo that shows that. indian photographers or presentors are not that showie nor such shows keep the commies creating nuisance .

anything for stoping their nuisance is much appreciated.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

here you go ! I was responding to this question and took Praveen to be Prateek ! sorry !
Vijay Hirani
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vijay Hirani »

Hi All,

It seems that the IAF is fielding nearly all makes of Aircraft against the F16s.

Could this be because they want to get a feel of how IAF Aircraft compare to the Pakistani F16s in various combat/attack scenarios or are teh Pakistanis F16 very different from the USAF ones.

Also I fail to understand why the Communist parties of India don't trust the IAF or the Delhi government on the benefits of holding this exercise, especially since the IAF are going to have their own AWACS soon with very similar technology. The commis must have their heads screwed the wrong way round.

VJ
John_Doe
BRFite -Trainee

Post by John_Doe »

Vijay Hirani wrote:Hi All,

Also I fail to understand why the Communist parties of India don't trust the IAF or the Delhi government on the benefits of holding this exercise, especially since the IAF are going to have their own AWACS soon with very similar technology. The commis must have their heads screwed the wrong way round.
The commies do what China tells them. The CHinese oppose India and USA coming closer militarily, so they use their puppets in India to cause a ruckus.

If commies had their way India would still be flying spitfires and dakotas, AWACs would be a bunch of guys pushing pwooden pieces around a map in a hot air balloon, and the IAF would be having exercises with the Albanian air force. The Indian government would be run from Beijing.

If you remember the Chinese hand in every commie statement and act - you will see the benefit to China in the Indian communist stance., and the commies will show for what they really are - not confusused simpletons - but agents of the CPC.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Singapore seeks airbase on hire

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1051110/a ... 459186.asp
New Delhi, Nov. 9: The Kalaikunda air force station is for hire. Singapore’s air force has asked for use of its facilities and is negotiating a price with the Indian government.
Will the Communists let it happen?
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

Dileep,
Hate to tell you this but IAF shows USAF all they need to know. Don't you think that during these excanges, the USAF get detailed briefings, etc?

The reason we don't have pics of IAF giving 'gyaan' to USAF is that the USAF is so much more technologically advanced than IAF. They don't need gyan from IAF. You people have no idea of just how advanced the US is. Do not be fooled by reports of IAF Sukhoi's beating USAF F-15 C/D? ftrs. Let me assure you that if advanced F-15's were brought in and allowed full use of their capabilities - both radars, BVR missiels, etc - the story would have been different.

Besides providing good DACT training for USAF and building interoperability, part of the game is for the USAF to cry wolf so that they get more funding. All militaries have a perennial problem with funding. Do not take this as a put down of the IAF. They are quite good at what they do given the limitations the have to deal with.

All you have to do is see some of the USAF toys like the new UAV's, F-22, etc. All things being equal, they are very very far ahead of the rest of the world in most areas. Again, in actual operational use, things are different, and a lot depends people who use these things and many other factors.

Besides, IAF PR does appear to be non-existent thus far.
John_Doe
BRFite -Trainee

Post by John_Doe »

RajeevT wrote:Singapore seeks airbase on hire

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1051110/a ... 459186.asp
New Delhi, Nov. 9: The Kalaikunda air force station is for hire. Singapore’s air force has asked for use of its facilities and is negotiating a price with the Indian government.
Will the Communists let it happen?
I say we take a leaf out of the commie handbook and jail all those commies who sell out Indian's security interests. Esepecially selling out to China. We need some offshore prisons like gitmo to take these guys and teach them a lesson.

What are the security implications of allowing the Singapore AF to use Kalaikunda ? WIll there be a SAF presence there permanently?
George J

Post by George J »

Please dont discuss KKD lease implication to S'pore on the Cope India thread, take it the Mil Acqu, Partnership one.

Maz:
The IAF only shows the USAF what they need to see too. In all probablity they are still seeing the same freq of the IAF radars on the -30K and -29S that they saw in 2004 (which in all probability are already hardwired into all post 2004 ECM equipments). These are only a very small portion of their true operation spectrum. Whatever gyan that IAF has to give the USAF will only be in the air, we dont have theater deployed doo daah like they have, we only have dusty airfield that depend on moonsoons for their cleaning. :twisted:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

In any case I would like to see the IAF learn a few lessons from the USAF too. It cannot be one-sided and I am sure there is learning going on on both sides.
Indrajit
BRFite

Post by Indrajit »

Some more pics..

KALAIKUNDA AIR STATION, India (AFPN) -- Crew chief Staff Sgt. Garrett Faust cleans the heads up display on his the F-16 Fighting Falcon here. The Falcons are flying dissimilar air combat sorties against Indian MiGs -- like in the background -- and other aircraft during exercise Cope India 06, which ends Nov. 19. The sergeant is from the 35th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron at Misawa Air Base, Japan. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Martin Jackson)

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/ ... 0S-004.jpg

KALAIKUNDA AIR STATION, India -- Crew chief Staff Sgt. Garrett Faust inspects the exhaust nozzle on his the F-16 Fighting Falcon here. The Falcons are flying dissimilar air combat sorties against Indian MiGs -- like in the background -- and other aircraft during exercise Cope India 06, which ends Nov. 19. The sergeant is from the 35th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron at Misawa Air Base, Japan. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Martin Jackson)

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/ ... 0S-005.jpg

KALAIKUNDA AIR STATION, India -- Crew chief Staff Sgt. Garrett Faust removes the intake cover from his the F-16 Fighting Falcon here. The Falcons are flying dissimilar air combat sorties against Indian MiGs -- like in the background -- and other aircraft during exercise Cope India 06, which ends Nov. 19. The sergeant is from the 35th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron at Misawa Air Base, Japan. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Martin Jackson)

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/ ... 0S-006.jpg
John_Doe
BRFite -Trainee

Post by John_Doe »

Indrajit wrote:KALAIKUNDA AIR STATION, India (AFPN)The Falcons are flying dissimilar air combat sorties against Indian MiGs -- like in the background
I don't see no MiGs - only Vajras. Is the USAF now calling Mirage as MiG? Maybe Bill O'Reilly and his ilke will do that, but I never thought the USAF official website would. :lol:

Ahhh details....
Ved
BRFite

Post by Ved »

Aditya_M wrote:Say what you want about the Americans, but they do bloody good PR. Time to catch up with them on this front too....
Much of it is need-based. You need good PR, if you run up huge bills all around the world, doing things which the US taxpayer may not approve of, but having to convince them anyway.
Ved
BRFite

Post by Ved »

Samir wrote: The one thing that always depresses me about exercises is realizing that foreign defense personnel have better access to our IAF bases than Indian citizens.
Don't get too depressed - remember these guys are security cleared, and didnt just walk in. Want to feelbetter? Visit the central lobby at Air HQ and see 'gora sahibs' (vendors) waiting for security clearance while Cpls and Sgts flash their ID and walk in. The same when we go to US bases.
Ved
BRFite

Post by Ved »

Kartik wrote:ingestion of debris may be a problem with dirty runways, but I'm sure that the IAF guys would've worried about it more than you or me. ....
As a thumb rule, any base which operates aircraft with underslung intakes or downward slanting exhausts (like the F-16, MiG-29 or Su-30, or MiG-23/27) has a runway so clean you could have your dinner off it - reason? FOD prevention.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Indrajit wrote:
KALAIKUNDA AIR STATION, India -- Crew chief Staff Sgt. Garrett Faust inspects the exhaust nozzle on his the F-16 Fighting Falcon here. The Falcons are flying dissimilar air combat sorties against Indian MiGs -- like in the background -- and other aircraft during exercise Cope India 06, which ends Nov. 19. The sergeant is from the 35th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron at Misawa Air Base, Japan. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Martin Jackson)

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/ ... 0S-005.jpg
Why do I think he is looking up the ass of a Mirage and not an F-16?

On second thoughts - I was probably wrong. I can see the tailplane on the R side - so it must be an F-16 I guess.
Last edited by shiv on 10 Nov 2005 09:00, edited 1 time in total.