Pictures of Indo-UK Konkan exercises

Vishnu
BRFite

Pictures of Indo-UK Konkan exercises

Post by Vishnu »

Dear Friends .. Don't have time to post anything elaborate on the exericises though I do have a bunch of images which I have uploaded to the Kodak Photo gallery. I got it wrong last time asking everyone to email me for me to share the pics with them. Could one of the Webmasters please email me ... so I can give them the link to the site. The pics can then be attached to one of the BR sites ... and viewed by all.

Tx

Vishnu Som
Associate Editor (Defence)
New Delhi Television
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Pictures of Konkan '06 by Vishnu Som, NDTV. Pictures have been watermarked in the centre to prevent unauthorised use. Thanks.

Konkan 2006
Last edited by Rakesh on 08 Oct 2006 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
ameyk
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ameyk »

Vishnu sir zindaba :D :D d
AmitNangia
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AmitNangia »

There is a picture of a stealthy looking frigate, F711. AFAIK, that belongs to the French Navy, La Fayette class. Were the Frenchies playing around with us as well during Konkan?
Vishnu
BRFite

Post by Vishnu »

Hi ... the French firgate is the Surcouf which has been embedded with the British formation for these exercises. thanks, Vishnu
Vishnu
BRFite

Post by Vishnu »

Hi ... the French frigate is the Surcouf which has been embedded with the British formation for these exercises. thanks, Vishnu
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

Thanks guys.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Its really Nice To See those MERLINS (EH-101 ) , I wish we could have afforded to buy those for our Navy , As a 1:1 replacement for Sea King and Ka-28
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Vishnu wrote:Hi ... the French firgate is the Surcouf which has been embedded with the British formation for these exercises. thanks, Vishnu
Great pics, Vishnu!

Thanks!!
Vishnu
BRFite

Post by Vishnu »

Hi ... actually flew on the Merlin off the Illustrious ... Its HUGE, considerably larger than even a Sea King. With 3 engines, its also incredibly smooth and relativelyquiet inside ... but give me a Chetak with no doors for a ride any day of the week !! Cheers Vishnu
CPrakash
BRFite

Post by CPrakash »

Good pics -

[WHINE MODE ON]but cant the pics be ANY larger? They are TOOOO small [/WHINE MODE OFF]
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Merlin is perhaps the best of breed ASW chopper out there ,Its Dunking Sonar is very sophisticated , specially designed to detect and classify quite conventional subs in littoral environment

And it could also act as a more sturdy platform for a Heli Borne AEW.

But the cost was very high , and I am not too sure if it can fit in those Delhi, P-17 class hangers weight and dimension wise
Vishnu
BRFite

Post by Vishnu »

Hi ... Full frame images of all this stuff has been sent across to Rakesh ... and should hopefully be up soon for all of you to enjoy ... Tx Vishnu
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Vishnu, may I post these pictures in the Armd Forces Recognition List on Yahoogroups ? With due credit of course.
Vishnu
BRFite

Post by Vishnu »

Mandeep, of course you can. Tx, Vishnu
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Austin wrote:Its really Nice To See those MERLINS (EH-101 ) , I wish we could have afforded to buy those for our Navy , As a 1:1 replacement for Sea King and Ka-28
What will we do with the Merlins ? They wil not fit on any of our vessels except the carries. I suggest NH 90 or Cougar or MH 60

Kersi
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Which all ships and Naval units took part in Ex-Konkan ? Both from the IN and the Anglo-French forces.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

and the Anglo-French forces
Small nitpick. It is an "Anglo" force. The FR ship is embedded.
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

Ashwin B
BRFite

Post by Ashwin B »

Isn't it naval tradition/etiquette (rule even?) that you fly the flag of the country you're visiting?
I don't see the Tricolor on the ship. Wasn't there a spat (maybe too strong a word) with the USN when they ignored requests to hoist the Tricolor?

Just curious.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Soooper photo, I say! :)
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

Mandeep,

Task Group Aquila comprised HMS Illustrious (carrier), HMS Gloucester (Type 42 destroyer), Surcouf (French frigate)*, RFA Fort Victoria (supply ship), RFA Diligence (forward repair ship) and HMS Sovereign (SSN).

The Indian participants were INS Mumbai, INS Ganga and INS Brahmaputra, INS Shakti & INS Shankush.

* Type 23 frigate HMS Lancaster has been reciprocally embedded in the Charles De Gaulle task force.