IAF at Red Flag / Nellis AFB 2008

anupam
BRFite -Trainee

Re: IAF at Red Flag / Nellis AFB 2008

Post by anupam »

kedar.karmarkar wrote:
K Mehta wrote:kedar boss,
really nice pics. One problem though, how do we access your photo album of the airbase?
Keep clicking.
Thanks much, all the images will be there around first week of September, open to all.

B/R
Kedar
Everbeen to the east coast Kedar ? WPAFB ?
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kedar.karmarkar »

anupam wrote:
Anant wrote:Shiv,

While the author of the blog is of Indian ethnicity, he's an American. He works for the Moffett Field Museum. So, he has no linkage to the IAF but more so the USAF.

http://horizontalrain.com/blog/about/

Anant
So ? what difference does it make ? and how can one be so sure that he is purely interested in Photography and not chosing sides (IAF or USAF) ?
Ok folks, I know Sagar Pathak - he is a good friend of mine, and just a normal guy - who is living his dream. He is a great photographer, and a great person, and loves military aviation, just like the rest of us.
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

anupam wrote:
kedar.karmarkar wrote: Thanks much, all the images will be there around first week of September, open to all.

B/R
Kedar
Everbeen to the east coast Kedar ? WPAFB ?
I have been once to NAS Oceana 2006, for the last airshow the Tomcat took part in. That was it.
Aditya_M
BRFite

Post by Aditya_M »

Don't worry, Kedar, some of us are just insanely jealous.

Okay, okay, I am jealous! :cry:
anupam
BRFite -Trainee

Post by anupam »

Kedar...it was in response to another post and what I meant by my comment is the opposite but typed it wrong"So ? what difference does it make ? and how can one be so sure that he is purely interested in Photography and not chosing sides (IAF or USAF) ?" is that why do people think negative about someone being a US citizen of indian decent would choose the sides. My point is that the person just loves photography and military aviation and would not choose sides (IAF or US) which is what you pointed out for your good friend Sagar Pathak.

Well. If you're ever planning to be at WPAFB then let me know.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Sagar Pathak is living his dream and doing us a great service. If he didn't produce such good photos in the past of different events he wouldn't be at Red Flag. He doesn't care about picking sides, he cares about what he's doing or he wouldn't spend several tens-of-thousands of dollars, and his time, on photography.
viveks
BRFite

Post by viveks »

he seems to have become a celebrity in BRF...with a few photos and some experience with a website. Not like anything a normal guy would not do if he really wanted to do so. Besides....left to me ....I would love to take time off work and do this kind of activity too. But I simply cant afford to do that....oh...well....good show...thanks for sending us some links.
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

Getting back on topic here - IAF folks showed up yesterday, with their Su-s at Nellis.

Here are some pics and link -

http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/index. ... #msg197804

B/R
Kedar
anupam
BRFite -Trainee

Post by anupam »

Nice shots as usual Kedar. So much resemblance to the air intakes and the F-15. Any conversation or discussion about how it went so far with the IAF pilots learning something out of this exercise ?
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

The above pics are posted on fencecheck, by a local photog from Las Vegas, not mine, though I wish ;)

As to the lessons learnt, its sensitive info - dont ask, dont tell :lol:

B/R
Kedar
anupam
BRFite -Trainee

Post by anupam »

kedar.karmarkar wrote:The above pics are posted on fencecheck, by a local photog from Las Vegas, not mine, though I wish ;)

As to the lessons learnt, its sensitive info - dont ask, dont tell :lol:

B/R
Kedar
Dont I know it :)
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Su-30MKI at Nellis AFB
http://www.nellis.af.mil/photos/
parshuram
BRFite

Post by parshuram »

Keadar Sir .. If i am not wrong Rafales were also supposed to be participating in RED FLAG .. Any shots of MKI flying with 'em thanks in advance
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

The Red Flag starts from Monday...so guess we will be seeing lot of photos from the Vegas local folks.

Btw, the RoKAF F-15Ks landed guess, a day or two before our boys showed up. The Rafales from France are preparing for the Red Flag at Luke AFB, and since last I heard, havent yet made it to Nellis.

B/R
Kedar
Himanshu
BRFite

Post by Himanshu »

MKI nose cones have been changed from light to dark tone of gray color..
Rich
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rich »

I notice the Su-30MKI's are not deploying their brake parachutes while landing at Mountain Home and Nellis. Could be because the runways there are so long and repacking the chutes is an unnecessary hassle.
vkashyap
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vkashyap »

Avid
BRFite

Post by Avid »

BR folks ought to check out the photographs by the spotters at Nellis AFB

Some remarkably beautiful shots of SU-30 MKI coming in (start from Page 55 on) - think it is the same link as Kedar and I am re-emphasizing that you should keep looking as newer pictures keep getting posted.

http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/index. ... 4.810.html
Avid
BRFite

Post by Avid »

And BTW - don't forget to look at the pictures of the Rafales arriving too :)

This exercise will definitely let IAF know some more about Rafales true abilities, the F-16 (aggressors) (as well as the SH?)
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Get your NVG goggles out - in my email from russell CROW
The week of 11-15th August

Monday-Friday: 1st launch of big birds like AWACS etc will be at 3 pm
Monday-Friday: 2nd launch of fighters will be at 10 pm (yes 10 pm at night)

The week of 18-22th August

Monday-Friday: 1st launch of big birds like AWACS etc will be at 4 pm
Monday-Friday: 2nd launch of fighters will be at 11 pm (yes 11 pm at night)

I guess they want to do the August Red Flag to be a night missions oriented effort. There will be regular sorties of standard Nellis a/c during the day.
Avid
BRFite

Post by Avid »

Radman
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Radman »

Avid wrote:Some really nice shots of Rafale
http://www.nellis.af.mil/news/story_med ... =123110076
Really like the cute short shorts that the french ground crew are wearing. typical frogs.
Avid
BRFite

Post by Avid »

Note the roles of different aircrafts participating in the exercise:

Blue Team composition

Blue Air
F-15s, Jacksonville, Fla.
F-15s, Eglin AFB, Fla.
Rafale', French Air Force

Air-To-Ground - tasked with destroying targets being defended by Red Team
Rafale', French Air Force
F-15s, Nellis AFB, Nev.
SU-30s, Indian Air Force
F-15Ks, Republic of Korea Air Force

-----------

The Rafales are participating both in air-to-air role as well as air-to-ground role (along with SU-30 MKI). I suppose the S. Korean force is about to find out what they passed up on and whether it was a good/bad decision. We are about to find out how well Rafale does in multi-role.
pkudva
BRFite

Post by pkudva »

It would have been really to see the Su-30 MKI fighting it out with F-22, i mean US wants to see the vunerability of their a/c's against the much sophesticated the SU-30 MKI ad they always had their eyes on our SU-30 MKI as China also has lots of them but not of similar configuration.
We should make them very clear that not all the parts can be touched and seen. You can never believe the US it can be a friend or a Foe any time.
abhishek
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishek »

Really like the cute short shorts that the french ground crew are wearing. typical frogs.
I am sorry..but they look gay....
Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

Radman wrote:
Avid wrote:Some really nice shots of Rafale
http://www.nellis.af.mil/news/story_med ... =123110076
Rad
They might as well wear speedos for that matter. Damn! :rotfl:
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Those red things under the wings are Litening pods??
Rahul Shukla
BRFite

Post by Rahul Shukla »

^^^

No.

The black thing hanging below the RHS engine inlet looking like a capsule (Clicky) is the Litening pod . The 'red' is just the interior paint in the wheel bay. The landing gear folds up and towards the front then turns 90 degrees and the tire is stored there. Btw... whatever happened to the beautiful Ruski green interior paint?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Boy can you believe the cameras that these guys are using? Where's the emoticon for "jealous'?
MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

Why dont they share these in India? It would be some good promo. Kapil are you listening? Any chance boss...

What's the patch on the left?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^^
44th, mighty jets.
Avid
BRFite

Post by Avid »

shiv wrote:Boy can you believe the cameras that these guys are using? Where's the emoticon for "jealous'?
well shiv i figure i would use this :(( to indicate i cant take such photographs - neither the camera nor the location

did you see the SU-30 MKI in formation there by Kriss22?

for all of the pictures please go to:
http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/index. ... 4.825.html

Jagan: perhaps BR could obtain permission from Kriss22 to use some of the pictures with due credits of course :)
jahaju
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jahaju »

beautiful photographs.
The photos took me back to our college days and the top gun movie especially the photo of insignia's and emblems of the su which similar to the patches that were on Tom Cruise's leather jackets. Pity those kinds of jackets are still not availbale in India with IAF logos, sqn names etc.
Ved
BRFite

Post by Ved »

jahaju wrote:Pity those kinds of jackets are still not availbale in India with IAF logos, sqn names etc.
Actually, the IAF has had a neat black, leather jacket, for about 2+ years. I'll see if I can find a pic somewhere - maybe on the IAF website. Badges etc would have to be put on by the user, obviously.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

The three aircrafts in that picture look strange, or is it my eyes , or the way the pic has been taken. On of the A/C seems to be lying on top of another.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

krishnan wrote:The three aircrafts in that picture look strange, or is it my eyes , or the way the pic has been taken. On of the A/C seems to be lying on top of another.

yeah. Some kind of optical illusion??

Which plane is this and what stuff is it carrying? Bombs or fuel tanks?
AshokS
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AshokS »

Thats the EA-6 prowler, its an US Navy carrier based jamming aircraft. You can see along with two drop tanks, there are three standoff jammers/ECM pods (the props on the front of the pods drive a turbine used to generate electricity to power the jamming pods.). The E-6 vertical stabilizer has a ECM equipment as well, notice the large housing on the top of the stabilizer. The EA-6 is a derivative of the A-6, which is basically a long legged bomb truck based on US carriers.

Note the Indian IL-78MKI refueling pods also have the turbine driven generators as well.
Rahul Shukla
BRFite

Post by Rahul Shukla »

krishnan wrote:The three aircrafts in that picture look strange, or is it my eyes , or the way the pic has been taken. On of the A/C seems to be lying on top of another.
The MKI's seem to be maneuvering to get into formation while maintaining some separation between one another. Anyhow, Rambha looks like a Tomcat clone from this angle... Beautiful!
jamwal wrote:Which plane is this and what stuff is it carrying? Bombs or fuel tanks?
This be the yankee navy's EA-6B Prowler EW aircraft. It is carrying three ALQ-99 jamming pods (see the little fan in front?) and two 300 gallon fuel tanks.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Thanks for the information.
I hope am not mistaken, but US planes usually have gradient kind of paint scheme, different shades of grey on different sections while Indian and most other countries have a single colour only. Any advantages or disadvantages regarding this?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

as a thumb rule the underbelly could be lighter shade to blend with the sky, the
dorsal side a darker shade to blend with the ocean for someone looking down on it.