IAF at Red Flag / Nellis AFB 2008

Jagan
Webmaster BR

IAF at Red Flag / Nellis AFB 2008

Post by Jagan »

All links, stories and pictures in this thread please.
--------------------------------------------------
http://www.indianexpress.com/story/332230.html

Low-key departure for IAF’s team for Red Flag exercise
Express News ServicePosted online: Monday, July 07, 2008 at 2247 hrs Print Email

New Delhi, July 6: A low-key send off to an Indian Air Force (IAF) contingent at the Pune-based Lohegaon airbase on Monday will mark the beginning of India’s first-ever participation at one of the world’s toughest air-combat exercises.

The IAF will be sending eight SU-30 MKI aircraft, two IL-78 air-to-air refuellers and one IL-76 transport aircraft for the Red Flag exercise being held at the Nellis airbase of the United States Air Force (USAF) in August. While the multination exercise will start on August 9, a contingent of over 250 personnel will depart for the ‘work-up phase’ of the war game at the Mountain Home Air Base in Idaho. The contingent is being led by Group Capt D Chaudhury and the Exercise Coordinator would be Group Capt Ajay Rathore.

The series of exercises, held thrice a year at the Nellis Airbase, were started in 1975 and have emerged as one of the most challenging testing grounds for Air Force pilots.

“The exercise is based on an advanced aerial combat training format. The purpose is to ensure that pilots are trained well enough to survive in air combat and win air battles. The exercise holds tremendous learning opportunity for all the participating Air Forces,” the IAF spokesperson said.

Besides India and the US, participation will include the South Korean Air Force with F-15K and the French Air Force with their latest Rafale aircraft. Prior to the main exercise, the IAF contingent will familiarise themselves with the process at the Idaho airbase from 17 July to August 8. “The purpose of the work-up phase is to streamline the procedures and have a clear understanding of the new flying environment,” the spokesperson said.

The IAF contingent is scheduled to depart from Pune and will transit via Doha (Qatar), Chorlu (Turkey), Mont de Marsan (France) and Lages (Portugal) before reaching main land USA on 17 July.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Re: IAF at Red Flag / Nellis AFB 2008

Post by Jagan »

The Air Chief Marshal, FH Major with the members of IAF's team for exercise 'Red Flag’ (USA) prior to their departure date at Air Force Station Pune on July 06.
http://www.odishatoday.com/India/IAF_to ... 97845.html
IAF to participate in multinational Air Exercise ‘Red Flag’
By Our Correspondent
Last updated: 07/07/2008 00:31:09

New Delhi (India) : The Indian Air Force would be participating in a multinational Air Exercise, ‘Ex - Red Flag 08’ at the invitation of United States Air Force (USAF), which is to be held at Nellis Air Force Base in the US from 09-23 Aug 08.

The IAF would be participating in the exercise with eight SU-30 MK- I aircraft, two IL-78 air to air refuellers and one IL-76 transport aircraft.

The contingent comprise of 247 personnel from which 156 personnel below officers rank and 91 officers (inclusive of 10 members of ‘Garud’ IAF Special Force team). The contingent is being led by Gp Capt. D Chaudhury and Exercise Coordinator would be Gp Capt Ajay Rathore.

Exercise Red Flag is comprise of multinational air exercise that is held thrice a year at Nellis Air Force base,USA.

The IAF would be participating in the Exercise alongside South Korean Air Force with F-15K and the French Air Force with latest Rafale aircraft and the host country’s USAF.

Red Flag was originally conceived by USAF in 1975 with an advanced aerial combat training format. The main aim of this Exercise is to ensure that pilots are trained well enough to survive in air combat and win air battles. The exercise holds tremendous learning opportunity for all the participating Air Forces.

Prior to this Exercise, the IAF contingent would be working up at Mountain Home Air Base in Idaho, US from 17 Jul 08 till 07 Aug 08. At Mountain Home, the IAF contingent would ready to fly with the F-16s & F-15s of USAF.

The purpose of the work up phase is to streamline the procedures and have a clear understanding of the new flying environment.

The IAF contingent with its aircraft are scheduled to depart from Pune on 07 Jul 08 and transit via Doha (Qatar), Chorlu (Turkey), Mont de Marsan (France) and Lages (Portugal) before reaching land main USA and Mountain Home airbase on 17 Jul 08.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Jagan,

Are you or any other BR members planning to go there to record this event for BR?

-Vivek
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Not me Vivek. Someone close to the place have any plans?
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

I may be in Los Angels during that time. A business trip is on the cards for 11th Aug. If some one else is also interested, we can plan a drive to Nellis. Gives me a chance to test my 100-400mm lens!
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

sunil, someone wanted to join you on your roadtrip. can you post your id so that they can write in? the person cannot post on the board. (not a member)
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Jagan Ji, you (and other person :) )can reach me at edited . Date for my business trip is likely to be finalized in a week or so. May be we can go to Nellis on 9th. As per the current plans, I have to be in Irvine on 11th.

Huh! it starts on 11th! Damn according to this...and according to DDM it is 9th!
Any way, I can take cpl of days off!
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Jagan Ji, message received and replied. Could you edit my email id please (Damn disappearing edit button!). That email id is largely free of spam!
narayana
BRFite

Post by narayana »

Besides India and the US, participation will include the South Korean Air Force with F-15K and the French Air Force with their latest Rafale aircraft.
Cant wait to know about outcome of contest between MKI and rafale :),Hope this will effect MRCA choice also
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

http://pib.nic.in/photo/2008/Jul/l2008070618530.jpg
The Air Chief Marshal, FH Major with the members of IAF's team for exercise 'Red Flag’ (USA) prior to their departure date at Air Force Station Pune on July 06, 2008.
Mihir.D
BRFite

Post by Mihir.D »

Air-to-Ground
Rafale French Air Force
F-15
SU-30 Indian Air Force
F-15K Republic of Korea Air Force

As per this it seems the IAF is only going to do A2G.Any ideas about this ?
chiragAS
BRFite

Post by chiragAS »

Last time when IAF was in RAF land, they switched of radar because of unkil's AWAC in vicinity, probably was there to record signature of rambha radar.
now that these guys are in unkil land, are they going to follow the same procedure?
my guess they would have to switch it on since these excercises require it.

Gurus please share some gyaan.
Question:- Why do IAF have to go with rambha for exercise, and expose our top of the line stuff.
can't we use mirages.
i mean we can learn about tactics in any modern aircraft. why do we need to show our rambha always.
you may argue whether we show our rambha in excercise or not , unkil's james bond will do their job, but still, why make it easier for them.

i am worried :-? after such excercise, unkil companies take data like R signature and stuff and update f-16 and f-18
computers, to help it identify target easily. and they do these as possibly free updates to their customers viz NATO and our neighbours including TSP. even if IAF has agreement on this issue, IAF wont know if they give this secretly to TSP
till rambha actually faces TSP's teens.
imagine TSP teens armed with AIM120C (recently purchased) and capabality to identify rambha thanks to lockheed updates.
if Unkil can sell AIM 120C, Harpoons to TSP even knowing teens are in race in MRCA tender, can't they sell software??
unkil pe kaise bharosa kare??

Hmm.. will delete my post if this is not the right thread (or if its already discussed)please sugguest.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

As per this it seems the IAF is only going to do A2G.Any ideas about this ?
Well in every redflag the Planes get divided up into different teams for specific duties. The IAF has been assigned 2 teams. Air to Ground and Refueling. THe Grippens who also made their first experience in 07 also were air to ground. Mainly US planes pull the A-A duties with one foriegn AF inthe mix. This year its the French. Keep in mind that REDFLAG is still an American AF training ex.

Also . Weird that a 10 man Garuda Unit is also going for the ex. Some training as Forward Air Controllers?
Luxtor
BRFite

Post by Luxtor »

chiragAS wrote:Last time when IAF was in RAF land, they switched of radar because of unkil's AWAC in vicinity, probably was there to record signature of rambha radar.
now that these guys are in unkil land, are they going to follow the same procedure?

Question:- Why do IAF have to go with rambha for exercise, and expose our top of the line stuff.
can't we use mirages.
i mean we can learn about tactics in any modern aircraft. why do we need to show our rambha always.
you may argue whether we show our rambha in excercise or not , unkil's james bond will do their job, but still, why make it easier for them.

i am worried :-? after such excercise, unkil companies take data like R signature and stuff and update f-16 and f-18
computers, to help it identify target easily. and they do these as possibly free updates to their customers viz NATO and our neighbours including TSP. even if IAF has agreement on this issue, IAF wont know if they give this secretly to TSP
imagine TSP teens armed with AIM120C (recently purchased) and capabality to identify rambha thanks to lockheed updates.
if Unkil can sell AIM 120C, Harpoons to TSP even knowing teens are in race in MRCA tender, can't they sell software??

Hmm.. will delete my post if this is not the right thread (or if its already discussed)please sugguest.
Anything is possible but I think that the IAF MKI birds' radars have an intermediate mode of operation where it would still be very effective for the exercise but will not emit any advanced proprietary signals that unkil can record and analyse. As for the Israeli and French stuf that are in the MKI, well the Ameicans probably know about their operational characteristics already. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Weird that a 10 man Garuda Unit is also going for the ex. Some training as Forward Air Controllers?
More like Airbase protection duties. In this case protecting the aircraft and equipment from prying eyes and curious birds when they are parked on the tarmac. IIRC, Garuda was created for securing these kind of facilities from Spec-Ops type attacks during wartime.

-Vivek
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

vivek, that was probably misinformation during the initial stages.
BR page mentions that it is a full fledged SF. coupled with their quest to keep member identities secret,I think
the evidence points in the SF direction.
the duties you mention are handled by AF police personnel, aren't they ?
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

<edited>
Last edited by vivek_ahuja on 08 Jul 2008 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Contrary to popular perception, Garuds are not an airfield and key assets protection force as its made to believe. The security of vital IAF installations like radars, airfields and other establishments in border areas is usually under the care of the Air Force Police and the Defence Security Corps. However in case of any terrorist attack , like the failed attempt on Awantipur AFS in October 2001, the Garuds will act as an emergency response team and will be on the scene to tackle the threat.

Their role is diverse and largely specific to the air force. During hostilities, Garuds undertake combat rescue, supression of enemy air defence and other missions in support of air operations. Their peace time role can be looked under counter terrorism, anti hijacking, aid during natural calamities and military tasks in the interest of the nation. Garuds have been deployed to Congo as a part of the UN peace keeping contingent. Operating alongside the special forces of the Army in Jammu and Kashmir provide them the much needed operational exposure. Towards this purpose, teams from the flights are attached to army SF units.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORC ... &Itemid=26
from BR page.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Thanks, Rahul.

Mistake noted and corrected. :)

-Vivek
ajay_hk
BRFite

Post by ajay_hk »

LEFT: In this photo released by the Indian Air Force (IAF), Air Chief Marshal F.H. Major interacts with members of IAF's team for exercise "Ex-Red Flag 08" prior to their departure from Air Force Station Pune on Saturday, July 5, 2008. The IAF would be participating in a multi-nation air exercise scheduled at Nellis Air Force Base, US, from Aug. 9 to 23. RIGHT: In this undated handout photo made available by the IAF, an IAF Su-30 MKI flies prior to exercise 'Ex-Red Flag 08'. (AP Photo/Indian Air Force, HO)
Deccan Herald
Kapil
Webmaster BR

Post by Kapil »

It's rather silly that the GOI and IAF lost out on a great PR Event by having a low key departure.
If they don't advertise what they do,nobody will ever care about their budget and problems.

Let's wait and watch what happens now.

Garuds can do FAC and CSAR too...

cheers

K
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Kapil wrote:It's rather silly that the GOI and IAF lost out on a great PR Event by having a low key departure.
If they don't advertise what they do,nobody will ever care about their budget and problems.

Let's wait and watch what happens now.

Garuds can do FAC and CSAR too...

cheers

K
You missed out one important point. The commies already have their ass on fire and perhaps the GOI doesnt want to add fuel to it.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

chiragAS wrote:Last time when IAF was in RAF land, they switched of radar because of unkil's AWAC in vicinity, probably was there to record signature of rambha radar.

can't we use mirages.

I totally agree with you Chirag!
and one more thing i'd like to ask the public here...what was the need to fly our Rambhas there when they wont be assigned a task they're made for, the most (or for that matter, most likely to carry out) - Air Dominance!?!? :?:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the Nellis exercise area is heavily instrumented with ground based sensors, and no doubt
there is a RC135 rivet joint prowling around in the periphery posing as a "tanker". or maybe
just ground ESM eqpt disguised into other kits.

actually I like that Su30 is paying attn to A2G - thats where they will be of unique
value wrt PRC using their big range and payload. if we are gonna take out tibet logistics
it has to be su30s going in...

if you look at Imax movie of red flag there is some spectacular lo-lo-lo flying by F15E
and defence by F16s. its a must see if you havent yet.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

That A2G role is something that IAF might be more interested in. Lets them carry out ground attacks under heavy ground and air defense, giving them some very good valuable lessons/experience
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

should come in handy wrt air defences in tibet, per the imax film they even have boxes of
unguided rockets that trigger as the a/c fly over and simulate AA and manpads.
those MKIs can sure lay down some heavy punishment...using 'claw' racks around 20 x 250lb
is feasible. enough to severely damage a convoy if a troop of 4 MKIs get going.
Vipin_Upadhyay
BRFite

Post by Vipin_Upadhyay »

Hi
It's really a great sight and feeling.

I am just watching all 8 Su-30 MKIs and 3 IL tankers parked outside Qatari Emiri Armed Forces hangar.
They are looking beautiful and well maintained, can't take pics as camera phone is not allowed, also long runway and taxiway distance is prohibiting me from having a clear closer look.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

More like Airbase protection duties. In this case protecting the aircraft and equipment from prying eyes and curious birds when they are parked on the tarmac. IIRC, Garuda was created for securing these kind of facilities from Spec-Ops type attacks during wartime
Noway man. Fly a SpecOps unit all the way into the heart of America (and that too Nellis AFB) to protect InAF assets? That just doesnt fly man. Why arnt the french or the Koreans doing the same?

The Sus have been earmarked for Air To Ground duties. IMO Garuda is there for SEAD and FAC operations.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Why the Army green camouflage fatigues? Are these the Garuda boys? Why not the standard airforce light blue shirt and deep blue trousers?

Is it true that radars emit some radiation even when they are switched off? Is the IAF going to rely on lightening pods only for the A2G role and switching off / Disconnecting the radars for the exercise? Can these MKIs (I suppose these are the Mark 1 batch) receive radar data from the US AWACS or will they rely entirely on cues given over the radio?
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

p_saggu wrote:Image

Why the Army green camouflage fatigues? Are these the Garuda boys? Why not the standard airforce light blue shirt and deep blue trousers?
Because of their mission profile!
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

rkhanna wrote:
More like Airbase protection duties. In this case protecting the aircraft and equipment from prying eyes and curious birds when they are parked on the tarmac. IIRC, Garuda was created for securing these kind of facilities from Spec-Ops type attacks during wartime
Noway man. Fly a SpecOps unit all the way into the heart of America (and that too Nellis AFB) to protect InAF assets? That just doesnt fly man. Why arnt the french or the Koreans doing the same?

The Sus have been earmarked for Air To Ground duties. IMO Garuda is there for SEAD and FAC operations.
While I agree that Garuda may be for SEAD/FAC ops in Red Flag, how do you know that French and Koreans don't have any one to protect their units from 'friendly' attention. That;s what Airforce police will do in Nellis, prevent friendlies from bugging the planes or some such thing, not to protect them from some Abdul.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

red flag offers csar training. perhaps thats the idea and security ofcourse...since they are
IAF personnel not loaned people from outside.
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

btw, does anyone care to comment on how the IAF found out that the Awacs were in vicinity during Indradhanush!
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Kapil wrote: GOI and IAF lost out on a great PR Event by having a low key departure.
We may have missed a more important PR event by not flying east and making stops in Tan Son Nhat, Narita and Hickam. It's almost exactly the same distance east or west--about 14k miles.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

IAF removes hi-tech radars as 8 Sukhois leave for exercise with US
New Delhi | Monday, Jul 7 2008 IST
Link

In a bid to maintain operational secrecy, the Indian Force have removed hi-tech multiple aerial target tracking raders from its eight Sukhoi 30 fighters before they left for the United States to participate in the 'Red Flag' air warfare exercise with NATO forces.

Highly placed sources said here that the NIIP N001 radars, providing some ability for air-to-ground attack and to track and engage multiple aerial targets simultaneously were removed in a bid to maintain secrecy about the ability of the equipment during the air warfare exercise for which IAF was invited this year.

An Air Force spokesperson, however, maintained that there was nothing secret about the avionics and equipment mounted on the SU 30 MK I and its equipment was fully functional. ''We are not playing a game of hide-and-seek,'' he added.

The Indian Air Force would be participating in a multinational Air Exercise, "Ex - Red Flag 08" at the invitation of United States Air Force (USAF), scheduled to be held at Nellis Air Force Base in the US from August 9 to 23. The IAF contingent today left for the exercise. The IAF would participate in the exercise with eight SU-30 MK-I aircraft, two IL-78 air to air refuellers and one IL-76 transport aircraft. The contingent would comprise 156 personnel below officers rank and 91 officers (inclusive of 10 members of "Garuda" IAF Special Forces team).

Exercise Red Flag is a multinational air exercise that is held thrice a year at Nellis Air Force base, USA. The IAF would be participating in the Exercise alongside South Korean Air Force with F-15K and the French Air Force with their latest Rafale aircraft, apart from the USAF. Red Flag was originally conceived in 1975 by USAF with an advanced aerial combat training format with an aim to ensure that pilots are trained well enough to survive in air combat and win air battles. The exercise holds tremendous learning opportunity for all the participating Air Forces. Prior to the main Exercise at Nellis, the IAF contingent would be working up at Mountain Home Air Base in Idaho, US from July 17 till August 8. The IAF contingent would reach the US via Doha (Qatar), Chorlu (Turkey), Mont de Marsan (France) and Lages (Portugal) before reaching mainland USA and Mountain Home airbase.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Any idea which Su-30MKI squadron?
ranganathan
BRFite

Post by ranganathan »

I thought the MKI has the N011M bars and not N001??
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Vipin_Upadhyay wrote:Hi
It's really a great sight and feeling.

I am just watching all 8 Su-30 MKIs and 3 IL tankers parked outside Qatari Emiri Armed Forces hangar.
They are looking beautiful and well maintained, can't take pics as camera phone is not allowed, also long runway and taxiway distance is prohibiting me from having a clear closer look.

Thanks for the eye witness report.
Luxtor
BRFite

Post by Luxtor »

Avinash R wrote:
IAF removes hi-tech radars as 8 Sukhois leave for exercise with US
New Delhi | Monday, Jul 7 2008 IST
Link

In a bid to maintain operational secrecy, the Indian Force have removed hi-tech multiple aerial target tracking raders from its eight Sukhoi 30 fighters before they left for the United States to participate in the 'Red Flag' air warfare exercise with NATO forces.

Highly placed sources said here that the NIIP N001 radars, providing some ability for air-to-ground attack and to track and engage multiple aerial targets simultaneously were removed in a bid to maintain secrecy about the ability of the equipment during the air warfare exercise for which IAF was invited this year.

An Air Force spokesperson, however, maintained that there was nothing secret about the avionics and equipment mounted on the SU 30 MK I and its equipment was fully functional. ''We are not playing a game of hide-and-seek,'' he added.

The Indian Air Force would be participating in a multinational Air Exercise, "Ex - Red Flag 08" at the invitation of United States Air Force (USAF), scheduled to be held at Nellis Air Force Base in the US from August 9 to 23. The IAF contingent today left for the exercise. The IAF would participate in the exercise with eight SU-30 MK-I aircraft, two IL-78 air to air refuellers and one IL-76 transport aircraft. The contingent would comprise 156 personnel below officers rank and 91 officers (inclusive of 10 members of "Garuda" IAF Special Forces team).

Exercise Red Flag is a multinational air exercise that is held thrice a year at Nellis Air Force base, USA. The IAF would be participating in the Exercise alongside South Korean Air Force with F-15K and the French Air Force with their latest Rafale aircraft, apart from the USAF. Red Flag was originally conceived in 1975 by USAF with an advanced aerial combat training format with an aim to ensure that pilots are trained well enough to survive in air combat and win air battles. The exercise holds tremendous learning opportunity for all the participating Air Forces. Prior to the main Exercise at Nellis, the IAF contingent would be working up at Mountain Home Air Base in Idaho, US from July 17 till August 8. The IAF contingent would reach the US via Doha (Qatar), Chorlu (Turkey), Mont de Marsan (France) and Lages (Portugal) before reaching mainland USA and Mountain Home airbase.
Just as I thought, they would disable/remove some of the important functions of the MKI radars to keep unkil from eavesdropping. But I don't know why the IAF spokesperson has to be so defensive about it. India as well as any other country has every right to do such things when they're exercising with the military forces of other countries. Also, one of the major reasons for the Red Flag type exercises is for unkil to try and find out how or how well a potential adversaries' technology works. No one should have any illusions about that, especially the IAF and GOI. I think they know. :twisted: