Air Exercise Garuda 2010 in France

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Air Exercise Garuda 2010 in France

Post by Rahul M »

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2010/06/ia ... aruda.html
IAF Statement: An IAF contingent of 230 Air Warriors was flagged off from Air Force Station Bareilly by Air Marshal S Varthaman, Senior Air Staff Officer, Central Air Command at a formal ceremony today. The IAF contingent would be taking part in Exercise Garuda scheduled from 14 Jun to 25 Jun 2010, at Istres Air Base, France.

The IAF assets taking part in exercise include 06 Sukhoi - 30 MKIs Air Dominance fighter aircraft , 03 Ilushin - 78 Flight Refueller Aircraft & 01 Ilushin – 76 Heavy Lift Transport Aircraft. The SU-30 MKIs would be taking part in an exercise in France for the first time. Earlier SU-30 KAs had participated. Also a team of Garud Special Forces would be taking part in Exercise Garuda for the first time.

Addressing the contingent members at the flagging off ceremony Air Mshl Varthaman said "Indeed it is a proud & privileged honour for him to bid the team good flying & happy landings. We have prepared well for last 6 to 8 months and I am sure you will excel with your professionalism. So fly safe, fly well, make friends, win hearts & touch the sky with glory."

At the Exercise Garuda the French Air Force would be participating with their Mirage 2000s & Rafale Aircraft. It should also be noted that the Republic of Singapore Air Force would also be participating in Ex-Garuda with their F-16 Block 52 Aircraft. Gp Capt J Mishra is the Team Leader under whose supervision the IAF contingent would perform in France. Gp Capt NN Sinha of IAF would be the Exercise Director, who would be planning, coordinating & executing different aspects of the flying & ground maneuvers at Ex Garuda.
http://frontierindia.net/defense/air-ex ... -in-france
The Indo-French Air Exercise began today at Istres Air Base in Southern France. The fourth round of Air Exercise ‘GARUDA’ which began today would conclude on 25 of Jun 2010.
During the exercise the IAF’s Special Forces ‘Garuds’ would also be proactively participating and shall be carrying out jumps along with the French Special Forces. The IL-76 aircraft which is an integral part of the exercise flying missions, would practise static line drops with the French Special Forces. It may be recalled that the IAF is participating with Six SU-30 MKIs, Three IL-78s and one IL-76 Aircraft.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: Air Exercise Garuda 2010 in France

Post by Rahul M »

please post all news and discussion about Garuda 2010 here.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Lets see how the Rafale vs. MKI battle shapes up
saptarishi
BRFite

Post by saptarishi »

its very difficult when the thread starter is the MAJESTIC MODERATOR,, but rules are rules, this should have featured in INDIAN MILITARY AVIATION, RAHUL M sir,,
:lol: IB4TL
Last edited by Rahul M on 15 Jun 2010 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: oversmart=unsmart. 1st warning.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

In the past we have had a new thread for such events. Nothing new - even by the rules.
saptarishi
BRFite

Post by saptarishi »

deleted.
Last edited by Rahul M on 15 Jun 2010 22:23, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: trolling.
Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

Is Rafale being used as well ?
http://monimag.eu/upload/469/nouveau-1s.jpg
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

So i've read... Probably one of the journos there can verify it...
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Mod Released Pics
http://chhindits.blogspot.com/2010/06/i ... se_23.html
http://chhindits.blogspot.com/2010/06/i ... rcise.html

and from http://livefist.blogspot.com/2010/06/ex ... se-su.html

IAF Statement: The exercise Garuda 2010, presently underway at Istres Air Base in France, between the air forces of India France and Singapore has entered its final phase today. Over 60 missions have been successfully flown and the exercise would conclude on 25 Jun 2010.

During the exercise, the six IAF SU-30MKI along with the Mirage-2000-5 and Rafale and the F-16 were engaged in various air defence manoeuvres such as implementation of "no fly zones" and large force engagements during day and night. The SU-30 also took part in the high value air borne asset protection as well as their protection busting missions. The IL-78 refuellers of the IAF and the KC-135 refuellers of the French Air Force also participated in various missions carrying out cross refuelling (i,e, refuelling the fighters of the other air forces). Refuelling denials were practised making these missions more difficult.

A unique feature to which the SU-30 were subjected was the "swing roles". In this type of missions, the same aircraft is simultaneously put to offensive as well as defensive roles. The E-3 AWACS provided the radar coverage during the Ex. The IAF special forces team "Garud" have so far carried out two jumps each by day and night along with the French special forces. Our IL-76 is undertaking the task of these drops.

Air Mshl KK Nowhar of the IAF who visited the contingent involved in the Garuda-2010 said - " Our participation in the Ex has reinforced the manner in which we conduct our operations. It has also helped us refine our doctrine. In future, there is a slim chance that a country would operate in isolation especially in a co-operative defence scenario. Thus knowing each others best practices in terms of tactics, techniques and procedures is the main objective of this exercise, which is also a part of the on-going Indo-French Defence Cooperation".

According to Air Attaché, Embassy of India, France, Air Cmde SK Ghotia who is also the chief coordinator of the IAF-FAF Cooperation, Garuda-2010 is a milestone in the Indo-French defence cooperation. This has been the widest scope ever accomplished between three nations. The Ex brought together the best fighting machines of the world such as the Sukhois, F16s, Rafale and Mirage-2000-5. Our pilots flew in these cockpits and has gained tremendous learning experience. The engineers, technicians and all other members of the team have also benefitted substantially from the exercise.

The intensity of the Ex has been increased gradually to enhance the understanding of the contingent members beginning with basic One-Vs-One missions and limited BVR capabilities, and then progressing to multi-aircraft strikes and counter air missions with complete BVR capability, and concluding with Large Force Engagement sorties. The IAF contingent is expected to return back to India by July 03, 2010.

Photos Courtesy Indian Air Force / DPR Defence
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

f16 looks like a flabby guy with ipods, ipads, 10 laptops, 12 boxes of mars bars and a wheelbarrow of chips stuffed in all pockets. struggling to even get airborne!
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Gaur wrote:Some excellent pics here:
http://pics-aeronef.discutfree.com/repo ... 01-110.htm
Those are some kickass pictures !!
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Off all the three, Su-30MKI wins in the looks department!! The other aircrafts have a cluttered look compared to the the sleek lines on the MKI
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

Gaur wrote:Some excellent pics here:
http://pics-aeronef.discutfree.com/repo ... 01-110.htm

Strange but ....

I havent seen any Rafale pictures from the excercises.....

The Singapore F16 seems to be a two seat version ...i mean all of them...Did they bring the trainer version for these excercises ?
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

naird wrote:
The Singapore F16 seems to be a two seat version ...i mean all of them...Did they bring the trainer version for these excercises ?
IIRC the RSAF Solah two-seaters are the strike versions and single seaters are used in interceptor role.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Singha wrote:f16 looks like a flabby guy with ipods, ipads, 10 laptops, 12 boxes of mars bars and a wheelbarrow of chips stuffed in all pockets. struggling to even get airborne!
its indicative of how the airframe has been nearly maxed out internally and very little more can be extracted from it without some changes to its outer mould line itself. Hardly the airframe to be kept as IAF's first line MRCA for the next 40 years I'd think, even though they've managed to keep sprightly +9G performance even with all the additional equipment they've stuffed in..same being true for the Block 60+ that IAF is being offered.

I've never seen those twin warts on the side of the F-16 Block 52s like those on the RSAF F-16s..does anyone have any idea what EW internal pod that fairing holds?
Kapil
Webmaster BR

Post by Kapil »

The IAF's MKIs have still not done a aerobatic display overseas.
Hoping,Gp Capt NN Sinha does it... 8)
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

weren't the Rafale supposedly participating in this exercise?? or were they only on stand-by to gather Comm/Elect/Sig Intelligence??? Would be a true shame, if Rafale didn't participate and India took it's brand new spankings Su-30MKI's thinking it wouldn't be conned!!!
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

Kartik wrote:I've never seen those twin warts on the side of the F-16 Block 52s like those on the RSAF F-16s..does anyone have any idea what EW internal pod that fairing holds?
top ugliest looking in-use fighter aircraft

1. f-16 with all the attachments
2. Euro-fighter
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

V_Raman wrote:
Kartik wrote:I've never seen those twin warts on the side of the F-16 Block 52s like those on the RSAF F-16s..does anyone have any idea what EW internal pod that fairing holds?

2. Euro-fighter
Buddy, your reply does not answer Kartiks question. Besides, I feel the EF (Not relevant here) looks way better than the modified Solah.
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

V_Raman wrote:

2. Euro-fighter
Looking at the conviction with which you have posted your choices I am guessing you have a Phd in Aeronautics/Aerodynamics and a profound knowledge of the priciples of aircraft design which gives you a irrefutable upper hand in deciding which fighter looks good....and all these years I thought all aircraft are beautiful in their own way because their design is a direct result of the the different mission, regimes, altitudes, ityadi they operate in...I stand corrected thank you sir!
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

Kartik wrote: I've never seen those twin warts on the side of the F-16 Block 52s like those on the RSAF F-16s..does anyone have any idea what EW internal pod that fairing holds?
Is this what you are looking:
The 10 F-16D Block 52 aircraft ordered in 1994 have the same dorsal fairing as the Israeli IF-16D and the sole VISTA aircraft. It is rumored to house the SPS-3000 EW suite. The dorsal spine were installed during regular routine assembly while these aircraft were on the production line in Fort Worth.
Link

There doesn't seem to be too much info on SPS-3000.

~Ashish
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Misraji wrote: Is this what you are looking:
The 10 F-16D Block 52 aircraft ordered in 1994 have the same dorsal fairing as the Israeli IF-16D and the sole VISTA aircraft. It is rumored to house the SPS-3000 EW suite. The dorsal spine were installed during regular routine assembly while these aircraft were on the production line in Fort Worth.
Link

There doesn't seem to be too much info on SPS-3000.

~Ashish
Ashish, that refers to the dorsal spine, but what I'm referring to are the two small fairings on the side of the radome below the cockpit. One thing that can be said is that they're specific to Israeli upgraded F-16 Block 52s since Israeli Sufa F-16Is are identical and no other Block 52s feature those wart like fairings.. one of the things mentioned about F-16Is is
Satellite communication - The F-16I features two new communication devices manufactured by Elta and Rafael, including a UHF radio with new encoding methods and long distance relay capabilities.
link
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

^^^

Oh, sorry. I wanted to stress on the dorsal fairing part in the quote.

There is some discussion on this in another forum too. Here is what one of the posters said
Issue 9 of Jane's Defence Weekly states that the extra antenna housings on either side of the nose and chin-intake are related to Israeli-sourced electronic warfare and and self-defence systems. While not confirmed, Jane's believes that the system installed is a variant of the Elisra Airborne Self-Protection Suite (ASPS) that is installed on Israeli F-16I Soufa.

Elisra describes the ASPS as being a "state of the art" system that incorporates active (self-protection jamming - SPJ) and passive (warning) subsystems and makes use of a range of "proven and new" technologies. Here, the range includes monolithic microwave integrated circuitry, application specific integrated circuitry and multi-miniature travelling wave tubes.

Elisra also notes that the warning subsystem provides wide- and narrow-band reception, a "full" signal parameter measurement capability and a selectable operating bandwidth to enhance sensitivity and signal separation. Data processing and analysis is performed using multiple processors and "special" gate array modules.

Elisra describes the system's SPJ component as offering highly effective radiated power, wideband transmission and reception coverage; wide angular coverage; the ability to cope with a multi-threat emitter environment; and "synergetic coupling" with the warning subsystem.
~Ashish
skaranam
BRFite

Post by skaranam »

Indian fighter jets excel in asset protection mission in France
Indian fighter jet SU-30MKIs have excelled in high value air borne asset protection and busting missions in the Exercise Garuda 2010 being held at the Istres Air Base in Marseille, France.

A unique feature to which the SU-30s were subjected was the "swing roles", where the same aircraft is simultaneously put to offensive as well as defensive roles.{hope we do not get tagged as swingers}
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Misraji wrote:^^^

Oh, sorry. I wanted to stress on the dorsal fairing part in the quote.

There is some discussion on this in another forum too. Here is what one of the posters said
Issue 9 of Jane's Defence Weekly states that the extra antenna housings on either side of the nose and chin-intake are related to Israeli-sourced electronic warfare and and self-defence systems. While not confirmed, Jane's believes that the system installed is a variant of the Elisra Airborne Self-Protection Suite (ASPS) that is installed on Israeli F-16I Soufa.

Elisra describes the ASPS as being a "state of the art" system that incorporates active (self-protection jamming - SPJ) and passive (warning) subsystems and makes use of a range of "proven and new" technologies. Here, the range includes monolithic microwave integrated circuitry, application specific integrated circuitry and multi-miniature travelling wave tubes.

Elisra also notes that the warning subsystem provides wide- and narrow-band reception, a "full" signal parameter measurement capability and a selectable operating bandwidth to enhance sensitivity and signal separation. Data processing and analysis is performed using multiple processors and "special" gate array modules.

Elisra describes the system's SPJ component as offering highly effective radiated power, wideband transmission and reception coverage; wide angular coverage; the ability to cope with a multi-threat emitter environment; and "synergetic coupling" with the warning subsystem.
~Ashish
thanks Ashish..I think that explains it.
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

The above post is great info, it should be archived in best post thread or something.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Photos by Romain Baheu dated Thursday 24/6/2010 - http://www.spottingzone.com/forum/ba-et ... 10144.html
Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

Where is Rafale ?
seems like they did not participated at all .
The French pitched their 2nd grade aircrafts against Su30 :evil:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Vishal Jolapara - good work.

But I have been planespotting for too many years (48 years in 2010) to believe that my comments are out of place. I have owned some camera or other for 45 years and a series of "good" cameras with serious zoom lenses for 25 years.

Good cameras started appearing in Indian hands in public places only after the It-vity revolution i.e about a decade ago. And while (moderately well off) Indians are being able to acquire 100-200 mm lenses affordably nowadays, but for serious aviation photography it is always good to have something in the 500-1000 mm range which is essentially unaffordable for most Indians.

I was amused to see to Bangalore planespotters news item in the paper about a year ago. I wonder where they were in Avia India 1993 and the first Aero India in 1996. I am totally unable to find my Avia India photos ( I may have been stopped from taking a camera - I can't recall) and I suspect the only Aero India 1996 photos and videos that exist in the public domain have been put up by me. By 2001 we had enough people taking good pictures that I was no longer bothered about taking pics and started enjoying the show.

I expect to see a leap in the number of planespotter pics - but as hobbyists we are behind the west by at least 50-60 years. And that is a consequence of absence of cameras among Indians because it is still very very difficult to find photographs even of Indian landmarks and cities from the 40s and 50s (and 60s too) - while even home movies of events in that era exist in the west It reflects in the photos that appear in the public domain as you pointed out in your first post.

The Aviation Photographers club of Bengaluru was started I think by Devesh Agarwal (he is in the video) I know Devesh - who used to run one of India's early BBSes (Mid 1990s) in the days before the internet connectivity in India. But I never knew that he liked planes though. In any case I am a purely military plane enthusiast. Civilian planes do not charge me up.
Last edited by shiv on 26 Jun 2010 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

maybe the rafales flew from another base and formated in mid-air?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

there was even one guy who went into some bushes at palam and photographed the ARC/VVIP tarmac area in delhi :eek:
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

shiv wrote:Vishal Jobatra - good work.
Thank You, Its Vishal JOLAPARA btw ! :)
Few get my last name right :D
shiv wrote:But I have been planespotting for too many years (48 years in 2010) to believe that my comments are out of place.
Your comments most certainly are NOT out of place, i agree with you on almost every point you made, i just added my perspective to it.

Cheers - Vishal
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

jobatra is another member here, I noticed that.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:
shiv wrote:Vishal Jobatra - good work.
Thank You, Its Vishal JOLAPARA btw ! :)
Few get my last name right :D
whoops! :oops: Sorry.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

shiv wrote:whoops! :oops: Sorry.
No Worries :wink:
Singha wrote:there was even one guy who went into some bushes at palam and photographed the ARC/VVIP tarmac area in delhi :eek:
Didnt know about Google Earth ?

Slightly Offtopic but you guys need to checkout this Spotter - http://www.flickr.com/photos/33104187@N ... 7/sizes/o/ Image
nishu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nishu »

cool wish i was there
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »