Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XI

Sudhanshu
BRFite

Post by Sudhanshu »

As long as Shankar is going through pain of explaining things, I don't think this is pro India or he being "super" optimistic either.

Just for example, under ignorance we were laughing at Akula killing three PLAN kilos. But, later we learned how much we were wrong.

I will withdraw my support to varghese comment as soon as he starts to write like Rajni fans :)

In fact his writing open us to new realm that how and what we can achieve from the resources available to us. Resource management is equally important as having resources that comes from Training, skills and not allowing that to be clouded by false confidence/superiority complex. And motivation is more important.

Here fight is for our survival or we are defending ourselves, not we were annexing China. So, motivation will be obviously all time high.

You should recall how Nehru was scared to use IAF against Chinese in 1962, even after we having substantial advantages over PLAF at that time. He doesn't have courage. I have read in one cover story in HT, Chinese would have easily lost if we could have manage to use IAF in combat sorties.

Remember this thing, in his scenario as always Chinese are over confident or have a superiority complex .. which is recipe for losing battle.

Bottom line: Thanks a lot shankar/vivek, please don't take those comments to heart :) and continue with new post soon.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Kya hua Ahuja sahab, AWOL ??

you seem to have abandoned this thread only !!

any particular reason ??
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Rahul M wrote:Kya hua Ahuja sahab, AWOL ??

you seem to have abandoned this thread only !!

any particular reason ??
Just returning the favor to Shankar. He gave my "yarn" a clear run when I had started a year ago and now I am doing the same. I tried to restart my scenario some time ago, but that didn't seem fair to Shankar who had already started his scenario. I am now waiting for him to take a break so I can sneak in with my stuff :)

But it has more to do with continuity. I have my stuff written down and all, but the readers here are having fun with Shankar's posts. Wouldn't want to ruin that with my sob story unless they want me to! :lol:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Use the intervening time to good use and complete the scenario on your PC !!

btw what happened to your book ??
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

The book project is going ahead. I think the publishers are happy with the product in their hands but haven't said so directly. They are looking for a September release or somewhere around that time (After the Beijing Olympics) :wink:

Another issue is the size of the book, running into several hundred pages easily. They are probably doing a cost-benefit analysis for a book that size. In any case, when it does come out, it will still be almost as thick as a Tom Clancy book (but less tom-clancyish, if you know what I mean). In all it will give the readers of this thread enough to satisfy their war-gaming needs for a long time :twisted:

This is actually something new as far as India is concerned, given that all previous authors to have their books published in this genre are concentrated along the lines of what I like to refer to as small squad tactical scenarios. Basically Spec-Ops stuff which can be wound up in a smaller book. Dealing with a whole war on several fronts as is done in my book is a relatively new step forward. Even so, coupled this with my first-time author status and the large book size is probably what is concerning the publishers on the risk the book carries.

Let's see what happens. The above issues might mean that the book might be available in lesser numbers than what is normally the case. Since this is my first effort in this line of work, my guess is as good as yours.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the quality of the book overtakes the hurdles...
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Vivek, i enjoyed reading your scenerios and all the best to you. Remember to keep a clause about a hefty chunk of profit share just in case some holly/bolly wood producer decides to make a movie on it someday.... :)
SGupta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SGupta »

Vivek congratulations! I wish the best of fame and fortune on you.

Please do let us know the title and how and where one can obtain a copy of the book.

Regards,
Sanjay
SGupta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SGupta »

Shankar,

Keep writing the way you want. I am enjoying reading your posts.

Cheers,
Sanjay
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

carry on boss, way to go !!

with our well wishes you can't go astray !!

do tell us when it will be out !!
deovratsingh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by deovratsingh »

A very interesting paper published in 1990's about Chinese/PLA's strategies for US and India, worth reading it.

http://www.freeman.org/m_online/bodansky/beijing.htm

Don't mean to disrupt a very interesting and enjoyable scenario vis PLAN/PLAF.

Regards,

DS.
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

deovratsingh wrote:A very interesting paper published in 1990's about Chinese/PLA's strategies for US and India, worth reading it.

http://www.freeman.org/m_online/bodansky/beijing.htm

Don't mean to disrupt a very interesting and enjoyable scenario vis PLAN/PLAF.

Regards,

DS.
hey this is good one
parshuram
BRFite

Post by parshuram »

Shankar Paai Great Going ... Just a kiddish wish of mine .but .. well i could not resist that .. Major Manjit could have worked on some indian Machine say HCL laptop {computer name is indian amd name HCL make me more poud then DELL }..
d_berwal
BRFite

congratulations

Post by d_berwal »

Vivek congratulations....

whats the Title ?

whats is the break even point (no of books) ?
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Re: congratulations

Post by vivek_ahuja »

d_berwal wrote:whats the Title ?

whats is the break even point (no of books) ?
Its still a long way to go before any of the above happens. I am still waiting on the confirmed Go/No-Go word from the publishers. There is probably going to be a ton of final editing and stuff that will help decide the final number of pages and hence the numbers published and so on.

Probably another two weeks before I can say anything with confidence.

As for the title, I haven't completely decided on the final one. I sent the book as such for an initial review but haven't finalized the name from a list of names I have been thinking about. Given the nature of the book perhaps some of the members here can help me out on that one when (and if :!: ) the time comes!
Vaibhav
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vaibhav »

Anurag wrote:I second Varghase.

Well I think I have created a stare here but calling the scenario's "too pro-Indian" but too my dear Varghase and Anurag, I also love these scenario's as you guys, but I still think that the scenarios lack the heroic part as we are technically too superior to Chinese according to this. Remember after loosing so many aircrafts in their "initial strike" will the Chinese maintain the war along the seas only. What is their army doing. Plus has he figured out the missile launch base which Chinese have in Tibet? There is no activity on the eastern border as of yet or have we achieved complete air superiority there? Also I think that the Chinese will deploy their nuclear subs after this shock, They will now look for a full fledge war with India to "teach them a lesson".
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

Vaibhav wrote:
Anurag wrote:I second Varghase.

Well I think I have created a stare here but calling the scenario's "too pro-Indian" but too my dear Varghase and Anurag, I also love these scenario's as you guys, but I still think that the scenarios lack the heroic part as we are technically too superior to Chinese according to this. Remember after loosing so many aircrafts in their "initial strike" will the Chinese maintain the war along the seas only. What is their army doing. Plus has he figured out the missile launch base which Chinese have in Tibet? There is no activity on the eastern border as of yet or have we achieved complete air superiority there? Also I think that the Chinese will deploy their nuclear subs after this shock, They will now look for a full fledge war with India to "teach them a lesson".
yaar vaibhav the whole war cannot be completed in some lines so as the scenario will progress there might be see some rude shock waiting for India. So lets see what shankar has in store rather then saying it is too pro indian or chinese are too technically inferior as shankar has explained everything. My point is just enjoy the posts.
Hari Sud
BRFite

Post by Hari Sud »

Shankar's scenario have definitely moved into pro-India. It will please a few but has no reality to them. Chinese war dictum is that they do not begin a war with anybody until they are definitely sure they will win. If they have any doubt they will not initiate any action. Their naval fleet steaming towards Bay of Bengal against a powerful adversary or their less smart air attack as Shankar is describing via Burma/Myanmar are even beyond fiction. Even fiction has some realism. These scenarios do not.

Hence above opinion expressed by a few readers as the scenarios being too pro-India is good feed back.

All my friends who did not like this feedback are living in a dream world.

I believe these scenarios to be discontinued and replaced with something more realistic.

Until recently all Shankar's scenarios were so realistic that even a seasoned army personnel found them fascinating.
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

WHITE DEATH FLIGHT -10X LCA-0630 HRS – 200 KM DUE EAST OF CAR NICOBAR

- Wing commander Sekhawat put the aircraft on a gentle turn to starboard anticipating the next order from Phalcon will be for his flight . This is a scenario he has practiced many times over Bay of Bengal with USN and RN .Only difference is this time it will for real .Also for the first time Astra will be used in combat in true beyond visual mode. The whole military world will be watching this battle .

White death flight –ocean eye – we have bogies in your area – 8 J-11 – altitude 1000 meters -distance 270 km – make altitude 100 meters till further advise –heading 030 till further advise –over
- ocean eye –white death lead – making altitude 1000 meters- speed 1100 km/hr –request weapon free
- standby white death
- white death flight-flight lead – spread out – confirm data link and IFF working –intend launching Astra salvo on clearance from ocean eye – 8 bogies –white death 1 3 5 7 will launch first – 2 4 6 will follow on –over
- white death lead –ocean eye – bogies now 180 kms – speed 1400 km/hr – course no change –altitude now 4500 meters –you are weapons free on BVR only – over
- copy that ocean eye –maintaining emcon –radar on stand by –making altitude 5000 meters – speed same – confirm weapons free –over
- stand by white death flight –clearing the friend lies
EW DELHI: India took the first step towards joining a select group of nations by successfully test-firing a prototype of the beyond visual range (BVR) air-to-air missile 'Astra' from the Chandipur interim test range on Friday.

The 'Astra' missile, on the drawing board for several years, is being developed indigenously to arm all fighters in the IAF's inventory, including the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) when it becomes fully operational by around 2010.

"This was just the first ground-launched test. Such tests will be followed by a series of in-flight tests from fighter jets. The missile will probably take five-six years to become operational," said a source.

However, the first-ever test of 'Astra' is important because BVR combat is increasingly becoming the norm, as opposed to WVR (within visual range) combat, in modern air-warfare.

"The days of aerial dog-fights are getting over...the ability to detect, track and destroy enemy aircraft much before they come in visual contact is the game now," said an expert.

Though the 3.8-m long 'Astra' version test-fired on Friday had a strike range of 25-40 km, defence scientists are looking at a 80-100 km 'head-on' range.

Powered by a solid-fuel propellant at present, the missile is to be armed with a 15-kg high explosive warhead. IAF's frontline fighters like Sukhoi-30MKIs and Mirage-2000s are currently armed with some expensive BVR missiles of French and Russian origin like the 'Matra Super 530D' and 'AA-12 Adder'.

"Astra, once ready, will prove to be more advanced and much cheaper. With a speed of more than 3,000 miles per hour, it will have micro-systems and mid-course guidance systems on board to keep after a moving target," said an official.

"It will also have electronic counter-measures to evade enemy fire," he added. Only the US, Russia and a few NATO countries have the capability to develop such a BVR air-to-air missile at present.
-white death lead-ocean eye –you are weapons free –repeat weapons free –cleared to go active now – keep this frequency open for real time update –over and good hunting .

Wing commander Sekhawat watched the target data being down loaded from the satellite hook from the Phalcon . It took almost 90 seconds as the transfer speed was not upto the mark .Moment the console indicated data transfer is complete he clicked on the air search radar and could see the 8 J-11 s in twin diamond formation bearing down on his flight . They were still outside his Astras range but with a closure speed of nearly 3000km/hr time was running out fast
-white death flight –lead –you are weapons free – cleared to go active –over

The radar warning receiver started in intermittent blip confirming he was being painted and quite a few slammers will be on their way in a matter of seconds .The powerful radar of J-11 had a distinct advantage thought he as he armed a pair of astra missiles and waited . While the J-11 s were painting him .LCA s small size and low observablity features made it difficult to develop a missile launch solution for the waiting R-77s .

At precisely 100 kms from the incoming Chinese aircraft the shoot prompt came up on the head up display .Sekhawat nudged the stick to port and the aiming circle overlaid on the target icon , two klick s and two J-11 S were marked for death ,the radar warning receiver screamed as the J-11 s launched their weapons .sekhawat waited a second more and then launched both the missiles together ,as the missiles dropped clear ,he punched out a half a dozen chaff packets and turned into the incoming missiles ,punched out another 4 chaff packets and turned at right angles .The first of the incoming R-77 flashed past the second stayed locked on .sekhawat dived for the ocean with gut wrenching negative g dive pulling out at the extreme last moment –the R-77 followed –into the ocean . He did not even have time to see the second of his Astra have scored a kill . As he pulled up his radar warning receiver screamed again and this time it was a pair of r-73 S launched by the lead J-11 . Sekhaat turned into the missiles ,punched out couple of flares and climbed for the sun ,
-white death lead – bandit 4 o clock – angels 4000 meters – engage
- copy ocean eye –turning to engage
Sekhawat turned into the new threat ,cued in by the all seeing Phalcon .He could see the sunlight glinting off its wings and then something more as the starboard wingtip of the J-11 flashed and a single R-77 headed for him in a rush of speed .Sekhawat did not hesitate as he triggered of a pair of R-73 s and then punched out a couple of bundles of chaff and tried to turn out of the engagement zone of the incoming R-77 . He was a wee bit late as the R-77 hit the tiny aircraft right under the starboard wing ripping it open from its mounts .As the tiny aircraft tumbled out of the sky into the deep blue of the ocean the last of the r-73 S fired by Sekhawat found its mark –blowing the J-11 hell and beyond

In a matter of less than 5 minutes 3 more LCA s were down and with them went down an equal number of J-11 s .Those that survived were now low on fuel and weapons and it was time for delivering the killing stroke

-white death flight – ocean eye –break out –repeat break out – heading 120 –altitude 500 meters –over
-ocean eye –white death 3 –breaking out –heading 120 –descending to 500 meters –out

BLACK EAGLE FLIGHT 6 X MIG 29 -0612 HRS

Wing commander Suman Chatterjee listened to the transmission with mounting anger ,it was obvious the LCA s were not doing too well against the heavily armed J-11s even with their superior avionics and low observability features . The tactical air net came alive with his call sign

- black eagle – ocean eye – target 5 J-11 – heading 320 –altitude – 5000 meters – engage now –you are all weapons free –repeat all weapons free –over
- ocean eye –black eagle lead –engaging now –copy weapons free

Suman liked going to combat with full power –fuel economy be damned .As he pushed the twin RD 33 engines to their full capability and the air speed indiactor jumped to 1400 km/he ,he also keyed in his team mates

- black eagle flight –black eagle lead – engage –now

The six Indian fulcrums corkscrewed into missile launch position on full afterburner. At precisely 60 km from the PLAAF flight they switched on their radar and at 50 km they launched their r-27 ER s –a pair for each of the J-11 s even before the Chinese pilots could get a lock on .The Indians fulcrums closed in as the radar warning receiver screamed warning and at launched a pair of R-73 as a follow on shot making sure nothing survives . Still a lone J-11 survived ,trying to escape with a smokey engine .

Wing commander Suman closed in ,eased back on the throttle, allowed the floating cross hair settle on the flight deck of the crippled J-11 and pressed the trigger without remorse .The last of the J-11 a simply disintegrated as the 30 mm shells fired at more than 1800 rounds per minutes ripped out the aluminum structure into bits of waste metal with a seven second burst
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) validated some of the touted benefits of a joint and fully networked force - massing of effects rather than force, higher force exchange ratios through better situation awareness and coordinated engagements, OIF achieved a 70-90 to one exchange ratio, meaning that for every coalition force soldier, there were 70 to 90 Iraqis. As a reference, Israel achieved a 4-to-1 exchange ratio with the Arab States in the Israel-Arab conflicts. In contrast to Operation Desert Storm in 1991, the US (and coalition forces) employed half the number of troops, one-third the number of air sorties, and only 13% of the munitions in OIF. Some factors that contributed to these numbers: application of precision weapons (almost 10 times more) against Iraqi ground troops (compared to Desert Storm), rapidity and intensity of strikes (munitions in OIF were delivered over three weeks versus six weeks for Desert Storm) and the reduced preparation time of the Iraqis (the Iraqis had five months to prepare in Desert Storm compared to just few weeks in OIF). (Conetta, 2003)
A hidden factor underlying these success factors was the far superior communications capability of the US forces compared to that of the Iraqis. They were able to maintain close coordination, disseminate sensor and intelligence information and enable coordinated strikes over an expanded theatre of operations. While the deployment of troops and application of munitions have dropped drastically, the demand for communications has increased dramatically.
In Desert Storm, 542,000 US warfighters were deployed and used 99 Mbps of satellite communications. In contrast, only 350,000 warfighters (almost half compared to Desert Storm) were deployed but they used a total of 3,200 Mbps of satellite communications. This is almost a 60-fold increase in bandwidth utilisation on a "per warfighter" basis. While further analysis would be needed, it would not be an exaggeration to infer that the intensity of future battles would be proportionate in nonlinear terms to the communications bandwidth applied. Communications connectivity and bandwidth would become a critical success factor in future battles
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

Sophisticated stand-off weapons are not only available but affordable. The down-side of such weapons is that they cannot be re-tasked and this makes engagement of mobile targets more difficult. However, this is expected to change. Communications systems can be coupled with weapon systems to aid re-tasking and real-time mission tailoring. Development of future unmanned combat vehicles with a space entry/re-entry capability further ups the ante on increasing stand-off sophistication of weapons. This development trend creates the strategic option for pre-emptive strikes, helping militaries challenge the tyranny of both space and time.
Sudhanshu
BRFite

Post by Sudhanshu »

Hari Sud wrote:Shankar's scenario have definitely moved into pro-India. It will please a few but has no reality to them. Chinese war dictum is that they do not begin a war with anybody until they are definitely sure they will win. If they have any doubt they will not initiate any action. Their naval fleet steaming towards Bay of Bengal against a powerful adversary or their less smart air attack as Shankar is describing via Burma/Myanmar are even beyond fiction. Even fiction has some realism. These scenarios do not.

Hence above opinion expressed by a few readers as the scenarios being too pro-India is good feed back.

All my friends who did not like this feedback are living in a dream world.

I believe these scenarios to be discontinued and replaced with something more realistic.

Until recently all Shankar's scenarios were so realistic that even a seasoned army personnel found them fascinating.
I beg to differ, we are living in same world where a tiny nation called Israel defeated adversaries 3 times more powerful and stronger than her, astounding pace. If someone would have written about that war before the war actually happened, you might have made same comments, branding that as unrealistic fiction.

Moral of story: EVERYTHING is possible in event of war.
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

h
e second LRAAM to emerge from Russian armament designers is the little known Novator KS-172, also referred to as the AAM-L. This weapon has been seen in armament displays accompanying Su-35 aircraft and has recently been displayed as the improved KS-172S-1 under the wing of an improved Su-35BM FLANKER variant. The AAM-L has an entirely different purpose than the R-37. Novator has designed a very long-range weapon intended to specifically attack AWACS aircraft equipping hostile nations. Where the R-37 retains a complex arrangement of control surfaces, the AAM-L is almost barren. The weapon resembles a typical surface-to-air missile, such as the 48N6 (S-300PMU-1/2), possessing only small control fins at the rear of a long, pointed body. The active radar homing missile is reported to have a range touching 216 nautical miles, which can be extended with the addition of a booster stage. Long range is a must for a weapon intended to target aircraft such as the E-3; this keeps the launching aircraft out of range of the weapons employed by escorting fighter aircraft.

It is no hidden fact that much of the success of Western militaries comes from the battlefield information superiority bestowed upon them by modern airborne sensor platforms. AWACS aircraft such as the IAI Phalcon and E-3 Sentry give commanders an unrivalled picture of the airborne arena and provide pilots with unparalleled situational awareness. The J-STARS platform provides commanders with a comprehensive view of the battlefield, allowing them to redirect and reposition forces to counter and defeat an opposing army. Winning a war against a Western military force armed with this knowledge proves a daunting task, as demonstrated by the rout of the Iraqi military in 1991. To put it another way, the 21st Century war is a digital encounter, and successfully engaging an enemy armed with these information resources would prove difficult to even the most well-equipped military. The AAM-L is intended to deny an enemy access to this wealth of knowledge, hopefully giving the Russian military the edge needed to prevail in a conflict.
dhruvarka
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dhruvarka »

I would humbly like to point out to the critics of Shankar and Vivek (although he is presently silent, preparing his book) that what they are creating is a scenario and not a wargame. Their scenario is that if we have the right doctrine, strategy, material and training, we can overcome a bigger adversary. What they are illustrating is the right doctrine, strategy, material and training we ought to have(of course, in their personal opinion) to defeat PLA and it's naval and air wings. Therefore it is natural that the story will have an India bias. Only in a wargame do you work with what you have and not what you would like to have and thus face reality.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I beg to differ. Vivek's scenario is about the worst case scenario, IMO.

Do go through all of it if you don't believe me.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

I count 4 LCA against 3 J11s, arrgh! it hurts. Methinks Shankerda, you are
accommodating too much of janta feeling.May I suggest you accomodate
right after Bikaner out door ice-skating competition concludes.
Gentlemen, try writing a scenario yourself, and you will know the
difference between a reality and fiction. My advise: clear the bandwith.
Sudhanshu
BRFite

Post by Sudhanshu »

ajay pratap wrote:I count 4 LCA against 3 J11s, arrgh! it hurts. Methinks Shankerda, you are
accommodating too much of janta feeling.May I suggest you accomodate
right after Bikaner out door ice-skating competition concludes.
Gentlemen, try writing a scenario yourself, and you will know the
difference between a reality and fiction. My advise: clear the bandwith.
remember they were training squadrons, not the seasoned pilot on new hardware, so justified.
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

Shankarda long time no post is it the lull before storm................
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

OCEAN EYE FLIGHT – IAF PHALCON-OVER ANDAMANS SEA-0630 HRS

Commodore Manjit knew the loss of the LCA s could have been avoided if the PLAAF listening station were taken out a few minutes earlier but then it was not his nature to cry over milk split milk .Only he wanted revenge and that too as quickly as possible As he made a few clicks the map of car nicobar -cocos island chain got projected into the main display and small blue aircraft icons on car nic base indicated 16 jaguars were now in ready status equipped for a low level strike mission. He nodded to the sector controller in charge of car nic area and nodded and the brief instructions started getting issued without delay

-car nic atc – ocean eye – we have control
The simple sentence passed on the control of the air base flight activities to the Phalcon seamlessly.

- mud slinger flight –ocean eye –report status –over
- mud slinger lead –ocean eye – ready for motor start
- copy that mud slinger – cleared for engine start

Wing commander Shinde leaned forward in his martin baker ejection seat and looked back at the long line jaguars along side in the parking ramp ,looked down at the ground starter unit and signaled .A puff of black smoke and then the port engine came to life followed a few seconds later by the starboard engine . It took about 3 minutes for both the engine rpms to stabilize and the exhaust temperature reached the acceptable level .This would be a complete radio silent mission and so all communication by navigation lights and visual sighting strictly .Only radio communication will be between him and air battle commander till flight is on air and then no communication in or out till out of enemy airspace

As he pushed the collective a few notches, the heavy aircraft shuddered forward and then started rolling smoothly along the tarmac, it was time to take final mission clearance from air battle commander and then go for it

-Ocean eye –mud slinger lead – flight rolling – request take off clearance
- Stand by mud slinger –ocean eye

On board the phalcon sector controllers checked the planned ingress route and all suspect emissions in the region .There were also no out of the ordinary communications. Two Su-30MKM was in combat air patrol and now lining up for recovery. The replacement cap was not expected in another half an hour as per the pattern observed so far.

- mud slinger lead –ocean eye – we see clear all the way –keep as low as you can – sam sites in grid sector orange delta and alpha Charlie – triple A around runway 6 -12 -3 o clock –take them out first – over and good hunting
- copy that ocean eye rolling

Shinde pushed the throttle and smoothly turned the fully loaded jaguar strike aircraft into the main runway ,a quick scan of the aircraft display and gauges ,up and down the run way for nasty animal type surprises and he pushed the collective all the way forward and into full reheat . The jaguar took time to accelerate but once it started it went all the way ,getting into air with more than 100ft of runway to spare .Undercarriage up –all three red – shinde kept the flaps in take off position as he leveled out the aircraft at exactly 80ft over the oceans surface ,his wing man formed up on him quickly .

The strike plan called for an ultra low level strike from multiple axis at more or less the same time to saturate the islands considerable defenses. The CAP threat was not his worry for the time being as the air battle commander would allocate necessary resources for that objective

The 16 jaguars formed 8 different strike groups and spread out in a semi circle with the cocos island at the centre and then started converging on the runways from all angles in the compass ,skimming the wave tops at supersonic speed .

55 days and 40,000 kilometres on, the Jaguars of No.14 Squadron ("Bul1s") were home again, back to Ambala in northern India from Fairbanks in Alaska, with the TOT exactly as was planned. A great tribute to the planners and executors from the Indian Air Force who had boldly embarked on this expeditionary forray halfway around the world launching the six strike fighters, two aerial refuellers and two heavy-lift transporters to north-west America some 20,000 kilometres away, then taking part in strenuous air combat exercises for two weeks alongside some of the world's most advanced fighters, controlled by AWACS, repeatedly scoring bullseyes (pun stressed) on targets and then retracing their flight paths to India without a single aircraft becoming Unserviceable.

A double shabash to the officers and airmen of Nos.14, 44 and 78 Squadrons. When the Anglo-French Sepecat Jaguar was selected in 1978 to be the IAF'S When the Anglo-French Sepecat Jaguar Deep Penetration Strike Aircraft, the air combat radius of action as 350 staff requirement had specified a lo-lo-lo combat radius of action as 350 nautical miles (550 kilometres). 25 years later the soundness of that decision was resoundingly amplified when the aircraft (understandably not at low level) flew many multiple times distant. In the mid-morning of 17 August 2004 the six Jaguar strike fighters returned to their home base. The supporting two Ilyushin II-78MKI aerial refuellers and two Il-76 heavy airlift transporters went on to their own home bases at the end of Exercise Co-operative Cope Thunder 2004-01 in Alaska, which was led by Group Captain S.Nanodkar, in-charge of the 200 IAF personnel in this the most successful multi-service, multi-national air exercise in history of Indian Air Force. According to Air Commodore Sumit Mukerji, Air Attache with the Indian Embassy in Washington DC, "Co-operative Cope Thunder 2004 represented a lot of firsts for us - it was the first time the IAF ventured into multinational airspace, traversed across the globe with a combination of fighters and tankers as well as pmicipated in multinational air simulated exercises with some of the best air forces in the world". At the invitation of the US Pacific Command Air Force. the IAF took part in this Exercise with air forces from the USA, Canada, UK, Germany, Japan, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Mongolia. Co-operative Cope Thunder 2004 was toughest of skills equipment, plans and preparation and involved multiple scenarios of low level attacks, evasion, rescue and other emergencies. In other words "real world", complex scenarios that put the pilots to the ultimate test against the best air forces in the world.
Well then, how did the IAF do? Air Commodore Sumit Mukerji, brimnàing with pride, exclaimed, "Excellent! For the most part, a lot of the exercises were not unfamiliar to the IAF. We conduct similar role-play exercises, but have never used aerial - refuellers before". An important factor, air refuelling has not yet been a part of Indian exercises, but is now to become a regular facet of IAF operations. The IAF Jaguars were very quickly "penetrating through defensive covers" and scoring direct hits on ground targets in ranges in Alaska. They achieved "Mission Commander" status twice, after receiving intelligence inputs. The IAF were given such status within 24 to 30 hours after the mission was submitted to White Force, quite an accomplishment.
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

Only he wanted revenge and that too as quickly as possible As he made a few clicks the map of car nicobar -cocos island chain got projected into the main display and small blue aircraft icons on car nic base indicated 16 jaguars were now in ready status equipped for a low level strike mission. He nodded to the sector controller in charge of car nic area and nodded and the brief instructions started getting issued without delay
16 jaguars kya shankar bhai r u going to completely annihilate the coco island :eek: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :lol:
Sudhanshu
BRFite

Post by Sudhanshu »

Nitesh wrote:
Only he wanted revenge and that too as quickly as possible As he made a few clicks the map of car nicobar -cocos island chain got projected into the main display and small blue aircraft icons on car nic base indicated 16 jaguars were now in ready status equipped for a low level strike mission. He nodded to the sector controller in charge of car nic area and nodded and the brief instructions started getting issued without delay
16 jaguars kya shankar bhai r u going to completely annihilate the coco island :eek: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :lol:
nope, in fact, Manjitye ke sar pe khoon sawar ho gaya hai
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

nope, in fact, Manjitye ke sar pe khoon sawar ho gaya hai
Boom boom time ahead, the battle is getting intense. Shankarda we are waiting............
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

MUD SLINGER FLIGHT – 16 X IAF SPEECAT JAGUAR-22000 FT –OFF PORT BLAIR -0647 HRS

- Mud slinger lead –ocean eye –your gas station is 50 klicks due east of port blair – altitude 24000 ft – refueling speed 375 knots –over
-
Shinde did not reply just clicked on the transmit button twice and and put the aircraft on a skidding rudder turn to port .In minutes he could see the grey painted IL 78 mki and its quadruple contrails against the azure blue morning sky .As he steered the bomb loaded aircraft towards the flying gas station ,shinde could not but looks at the heavy fuel expenditure of this low level strike mission .The fuel level was dropping at more than 56 liters a minute and he needed to take on at least 3 tons of fuel if to avoid another refueling over ocean on way back to port Blair . The altimeter showed 23900 ft as he leveled out the aircraft just behind the zebra stripped hose and basket reeled out from the tanker .His left hand moved a few millimeters and the air speed increased by a few knots as he triggered the refueling probe to come out of the airframe and stay locked in the raised position till refueling is over. The plan was to take on 3 tons in the main tank and then cross feed to other tanks before diving to the waves once again

The probe clicked in firmly and the high capacity discharge pumps onboard IL-78 started up, transferring more than 1500 ltrs a minute. The refueling operation was over in less than 4 minutes .Shinde broke off by marginal reduction of speed and fell off the refueling slot two more jaguars took up the position .Still it took almost half an hour for the whole flight to be tanked up and then they split up into 8 distinct strike groups code named whisky delta alpha ( Durandall runway denial bombs) whisky delta beta (anti radiation missiles and cluster bombs) whisky delta Charlie( 2000 pound laser guided bombs) whisky delta tango ( 4000 pound fuel air explosive bombs) and the rest carried plenty of dumb iron bombs which some USAF general jokingly said to be cheaper than hamburgers.

White death lead – your mission is now a go – keep below 75 ft at all times – execute –execute

One by one the jaguars are paired out and dove for the deck and spread out in a semi circle –a few more minutes to attack
THE altimeter showed 21,000 feet above mean sea level, the "cell" of one Illusion-78 (IL-78) and three Jaguars cuts across the skies at close to 400 knots, and beneath was the vast and seemingly neverending blue water mass of the Atlantic Ocean. The fuel levels were dropping at approximately 36 litres a minute, and the time to tank up was close at hand. The Jaguars closed in on the large IL-78, and slowly the zebra-striped hose, the lifeline of the Jaguars, in a situation where land and runway was nearly two hours away, reeled out from the refuelling pods on the outer stations. The familiar surge of adrenaline could be felt coursing through the veins; eyes were riveted on the basket at the end of the hose, which signified life itself at that instant. Months of training automatically took over and the hands worked as if on autopilot. The throttles inched forward slowly and the air speed indicator registered an increment of two knots. The massive body of the IL filled up the front canopy, and slowly but firmly, the refuelling probe of the Jaguar moved into the small basket and mated perfectly into the coupling. The crisp call "commencing transfer of 2.5 tonnes now" echoed through the headset, the Atlantic now seemed smaller and less menacing, and Newfoundland in Canada seemed much closer. Thirty minutes behind in time, and 200 miles (321.87 km) in distance, the second cell of the "trail" goes through the same drill. ix Jaguars, two IL-78 in-flight refuelling aircraft, two IL-76 (to carry the men and material), one flight of MANPADS (man-portable air defence systems) and two FACs participated in the exercise. A total of 200 fighters made up the team, headed by Group Captain S.J. Nanodkar. The IL-76 commander was Group Captain S.N. Mohanty, the IL-78 commander was Group Captain Shouvik Roy and the Jaguar commander was Wing Commander K.K. Khera.
Nine staging halts separated India from Alaska (a distance of 19,800 km one way) and each leg of the sortie was close to four hours. The stops en route were Doha (Qatar), Jiyankalis (Egypt), Pratia-Di-Mare (Italy), Montreal (Portugal), Lajes (the mid-Atlantic island belonging to Portugal), Gander (Canada), North Bay (Canada), Edmonton (Canada) and finally the Eielson Air Force Base at Alaska. The most difficult part of the route was the leg between Lajes and Gander, which was expected to take about four hours and 45 minutes, the entire route over the Atlantic Ocean. On this leg, a missed hookup with the fuel tanker would mean a diversion with bare minimum fuel, or a long swim in the cold Atlantic with the sharks. Before the introduction of AAR, the Jaguar was capable of flying for only two hours. Now it is capable of more than double that time, but an important factor to keep in mind is that there is no auto pilot in the aircraft. Thus, the pilot is at the controls at all times. This called for a high degree of physical fitness and mental alertness, for the weather over the Atlantic is not aviation friendly at the height at which the aircraft were flying. All the pilots had to undergo intensive practice to meet the minimum standards required to do the most taxing leg of the journey with ease.
In a four-hour plus sortie, a pilot has to remain strapped in his Martin Baker ejection seat and inflight rations (mostly chocolates and cans of fruit juice) became part of the flying kit. An aircraft seen wallowing around in the air was an indication to others that "breakfast" was in progress. The pilots also wore adult diapers as they could not get out of their seats to answer nature's call.
Another problem was the changing time zones and the inability to get adequate sleep. The only way to combat this problem was by medication, so trials were carried out with sleeping pills. All pilots were checked for reactiveness to sleeping pills and were subsequently sent after ten hours for a sortie to check for any "deterioration" of flying skill. This was done first in a trainer aircraft and soon pilots graduated to solo fighter flying after medication. For the first time, the IAF pilots were taking medication and flying, a concept which has always been considered taboo. To take part in the exercise, normal fighter flying training was carried out. By the end of May all pilots had done the training.
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

OCEAN EYE FLIGHT -1X IAF PHALCON -0735 HRS

Commodore Manjit Sekhawat had his hands full. Co-coordinating a sixteen aircraft strike mission even with the best of avionics and fire power was a tricky business. The main display showed the map of Great Cocos Island, which looked beautiful even in the computer generated image superimposed on the latest satellite imagery. The island was shaped like an elongated S, with the runway at the northern tip and most of the communication and air defense systems place .The hard shelters were located along the sole runway parallel to the taxiway connected by short approach cum parking ramps .He could count six shelters on each side of the runway making a total of twelve aircraft maximum that may be based on the tiny island. Intel sources have confirmed, at the moment the base is used only as emergency landing strip and air supplies to maintain the communication facility.

The main communication facilities were located some distance away from the base, approximately 1.5 km north west of the primitive terminal building in a low mountain dugout, easily located by the approach road network and the mass of antennas . The air defense of the base was robust with multiple surface to air missile launchers located around the runway as well as the communication complex. Triple A batteries were located all along the complex and isolated units could be spotted along the coast line, particularly on the north west and south east regions.

Mud slinger one – ocean eye – target – communication centre –grid sector Charlie 27 alpha 15 –use 500 kg laser bombs –secondary target communication antenna network grid sector Charlie 28 alpha 15.5 – exit straight out – turn to retrace ingress path over ocean sector Charlie 30 alpha 21 –over – strike window 0741-743 HRS –over

Mud slinger two –ocean eye – target runway 27 –grid sector Charlie 25 alpha 12-use delta rodeo 1000 type –secondary target mid spike at grid sector Charlie 25 alpha 11.5 -strike window 0742-0744hrs exit over ocean –form up with mudslinger one over ocean and retrace path-over

Mud slinger 3 and 4 –ocean eye – target – triple A sites at north and south of runway –strike window 0738-0739 hrs –grid sector Charlie 25 –alpha zero – secondary target sam sites along perimeter wall due east and west of runway centre line-use 250 kg clusters – exit with one and two –over

The first deep penetration strike mission of the IAF jaguars was about to begin
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

BACK TO HISTORY -JAGUARS IN GULF WAR

J
aguars successfully attacked a heavily defended artillery and anti-aircraft site during the day without loss. Later, Jaguars operating with USAF F-16s carried out a series of attacks against another artillery site close to the one hit earlier in the day.

. Jaguars flew a large number of sorties against artillery and anti-aircraft sites using 1,000lb bombs with all aircraft involved successfully hitting their targets

Jaguars, each armed with 4 x 1,000lb bombs, again carried out interdiction missions against artillery and surface-to-surface missile (SSM) targets. All aircraft returned to base safely. Two aircraft on standing patrol were wrongly tasked to attack enemy aircraft; although Sidewinder missiles were carried for self-defence, the crews were very relieved

Adverse weather conditions have again affected the success of operational missions. Of the Jaguar sorties launched against an artillery site, only one aircraft was able to deliver its weapons with the remainder having to abort. Other Jaguars have flown missions on SUCAP and 1 pair was tasked against a barge with HE strafe and the target was damaged. All aircraft returned safely.when this order was corrected.

Two waves of Jaguar missions had varying degrees of success. The first was targeted against ammunition stores but was aborted due to adverse weather. The second was also unable to attack its primary target due to bad weather but scored direst hits on alternative targets of an ammunition store and barracks.

Jaguar aircraft have continued to mount sorties against targets in Kuwait. Early this morning they attacked a SSM site and barracks and both targets were confirmed hit. Additionally, an artillery position adjacent to the SSM site was also hit.

This morning, Jaguars armed with CBU-87 attacked a Silkworm site. Damage was observed to vehicles and radar and a direct hit was observed on a second target. On recovery the aircraft sighted a number of fast patrol boats heading towards the Northern Gulf. Jaguars on SUCAP were vectored towards these targets, and they attacked with CRV-7 and 30mm cannon. Four boats were reported as stationary following the attack, whilst others made their escape.

Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

MUD SLINGER FLIGHT – 16 X IAF SPEECAT JAGUAR-60 FT OVER SEA LEVEL- 500 KNOTS- OFF COCOS COASTLINE –MYANMAR -0730 HRS

Wing commander Shinde cursed loudly as the first of many clear air turbulence pockets hit the aircraft as he crossed into the golden shores of great cocos island and into bandit country. The deep green of the forest canopy was hypnotic and keeping the jaguar at designated strike altitude was becoming more and more difficult .As the air heated up and rose vertically hundred of high power thermals were being generated out of the forest floor, pushing the fully loaded aircraft up and up every time he managed to hit them,which was quite a few times

The scrolling map display confirmed he was in right track ,take or give a few hundred meters .Altitude average125 ft ,going up to as high as 100 ft when the wings sliced through the hot upward column s of air coming out of forest floor and going down to 60 ft when he exited the column . Hydraulic pressure steady at 3000 psi in the receiver and 900 psi in the system well over minimum. His wingman squadron leader Patel was keeping the mandatory 500 ft lateral separation and zero vertical separation almost mimicking his flight profile . Both the engine rpm corresponded to 85% max dry heat and sir speed indicator moving around 530 knots .A tail wind was building up steadily as the air over land heated up and moved out and cooler ocean air started rushing forward to equalize the pressure .

He checked his harness and tightened the nomex gloves one more time .The tree lines thinned out and then he was flying over a concrete road,which meant close to target .As he pulled on the stick a wee bit ,the trusty jag climbed up obediently another 50 ft and in the distance he could see the main runway and terminal building of the cocos airport.

The tracers started almost immediately .looking like small puffs of black cotton wool in the distance .Shinde closed his minds to the threat as he switched on the powerful nose mounted laser designator, located just under his right foot and at the same time armed up the twin laser guided bombs as he smartly swerved the aircraft on a direct heading to the squat communication building in the distance. The bomb aiming cross hair floated up on the head up display and turned himself and the aircraft strapped to his back in that general direction,changed display color to red to have a better contrast against the whitish black of the runway concrete and the target –the drop command came on and he did just that by simply flicking open the hard plastic trigger guard and squeezing the trigger twice . The aircraft lurched up like a wild donkey at the sudden release of the two heavy bombs .Shinde re acquired the target on aiming cross hair and eased back on the collective ,waiting till both the bombs hit the squat and ugly concrete building ,blowing it up in a plume of dark smoke and deep orange flash .One target gone and now to the secondary .The forest of antennas were just beyond the now destroyed communication build .Selection to 250 kg cluster bombs .The aiming device now boxed around central tower ,a small course correction which will take him away from the debris and then two more squeezes on the weapon release button .Another lurch as the parachute retarded cluster bombs slew away into the slipstream of the jaguar and then out of it towards their respective targets .As Shinde turned out of the blast zone the bombs explode releasing hundreds of small explosive warheads and thousands of tungsten and steel pellets at hypersonic velocity ,cutting through the light metal supporting structure of the transmit receive antennas into strips of half molten junk metal . Along with it also went the brave Chinese air defense crew who were manning the sam and triple A sites around the complex

It was time to break the radio silence

-ocean eye –mud slinger one –primary and secondary target neutralized – exiting bandit country –over
-mud slinger one –ocean eye –good work- stand by to form up with slinger two –exit to grid ----

It was now to take out the runway for good
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

any one from joberg -south africa -shall be there from 5th thru 13th -e-mail to ghoshsh at gmail dot com
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

-ocean eye –mud slinger one –primary and secondary target neutralized – exiting bandit country –over
-mud slinger one –ocean eye –good work- stand by to form up with slinger two –exit to grid ----

It was now to take out the runway for good
Start of complete annihilation...
great going shankar da
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

MUD SLINGER FLIGHT – 16 X IAF SPEECAT JAGUAR-60 FT OVER SEA LEVEL- 500 KNOTS- OFF COCOS COASTLINE –MYANMAR -0740 HRS

Wing commander Jagtap was a busy man just like all the other jaguar pilots on the strike mission over cocos on that day. A final check before bomb run as he neared the target runway aligned perfectly rolling in towards his nose .The jag as usual was rock steady even when doing 600 knots at less than 300 ft over ground level. The display showed he has 8 x 204kg Durandal anti runway bombs armed and ready to pickle .He leaned forward and switched on the toggle switch to air to ground mode – a few more clicks and the desired impact points got locked in –next impact spacing set at 900 ft and release pulse to 8 so that all the runway denial bombs will be released in one go ,surely he was in no mood to fly through that crappy Chinese flak and SAM barrage now shaping up very good ,once again.

The head wind was strong and it was difficult to keep the nose aligned and level as he turned into the profile for bomb release all along the runway. The triple A barrage was murderous and as he pushed up the throttle to full military power .the throaty roar of the twin engines filled the flight deck .
Named for a mythical medieval French sword, the BLU-107 Durandal is a bomb developed by the French company Matra (now MBDA France, a branch of EADS), designed to destroy airport and airfield runways.
Designed to be dropped from low altitudes, the bomb's fall is slowed by a parachute. When the bomb is vertical due to the parachute's drag, it fires a rocket booster that accelerates it into the runway surface. The bomb explodes after it has penetrated the surface. This results in a crater that is large and difficult to repair, worse than a bomb of comparable warhead size. The rocket can penetrate up to 40 centimeters of concrete, and creates a crater 5 meters deep and approximately 16 meters in diameter.
Durandals weigh 204 kg (450 lb) and are 2.5 m (8 ft 2 in) long. The warhead is made of 150 kg (330 lb) of high explosives.
A sharp jolt and he knew he was hit .The hydraulic pressure started dropping slowly .Jagtap knew he was hit and most likely in the tail where all the hydraulic lines are bunched up into a manifold. The runway came up nice and fast and the pickle prompt came up on the head up display .As his right thumb flicked open the trigger guard and squeezed the bomb release button one by one the Durandals started being released by the mission computer at precise interval as selected by the pilot . As each bomb came out of the slipstream a amll parachute deployed automatically triggered by the built in accelerometer. As the bombs reoriented to nose down attitude and the altimeter sensed the runway down below a small rocket motor ignited pushing the retarded bomb into the runway surface and through it into the foundation when the delayed fuse ignited the explosive charge .The resultant explosion was strangely muted for a 150 kg high explosive warhead,but the damage was not. As the high explosive ignited it generated a shock wave which got reflected in the bedrock of the runway and got deflected outwards taking out a big section of the runway with it .Each crater was almost 50 ft in diameter and 25 ft deep making the runway not usable for a long long time
-Ocean eye –mud slinger two – target destroyed – flak damage –low hydraulic pressure –request straight course home
The radar warning receiver screamed for attention and Jagtap moved quickly to starboard and dived for ground flashing over the low runway structures as the automated counter measure dispenser started punching out flare bundles and chaff packets in the wake
-Mud slinger two –ocean eye – good work – two heat seeker launched –make heading 135 –maintain altitude – mud slinger lead will escort you back –over

Jagtap pushed the stick to starboard as hard as he could and then barely cleared the high tension power line feeding the airbase . One of the missiles that were following him made into the transformer building and exploded with a resounding bang and flash .He did not feel sorry for those technicians who must have been manning the substation at that time . One more gut wrenching turn to port and throttle to max military power and the second heat seeker lost its lock and smacked hard into ground just behind a ZSU 23-4 battery at the end of the runway .Clear of the runway ,throttle all the way forward past the plastic v indicating reheat power and the cool comfort of strong acceleration on his back as he eased the nose up a few degrees gaining some altitude .The shore line flashed below as he went supersonic and the deep blue of the ocean was a welcome relief .

- Mudslinger two –lead –you are trailing black smoke from horizontal stabilizer –hydraulic pressure now
- mudslinger lead –two –pressure acceptable -1850 psi in receiver -800 psi in control and landing gear circuits –should be able to make it to car nic – not much air to air though-,said Jagtap with a smile as he put his Jag in course for home and smiled for the first time in last ten minutes

-
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

shankar da too much time now. Where r u?????????????????
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

in south africa, I think.
any one from joberg -south africa -shall be there from 5th thru 13th -e-mail to ghoshsh at gmail dot com