Religion Thread 4

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Raju wrote:
TSJones wrote:We don't have to make burnt sacrifices anymore to God. That was taken care of by Jesus. Before Jesus there were elaborate rituals concernig diet, work habits, cultural exclusion, etc, etc., all detailed in the OT. We don't do that anymore beause of the sacrifice of our Lord and Savior. However, we must be *reformed or reborn* in the spirit and must try to live our lives by the Golden Rule. We will be judged if we don't.
TSJ: regarding 'burnt sacrifices, take a look at this, hindus still make burnt offerings but differently

This rice powder paste modelled as a lamb (Pishta-Pasu) on the baked plantain leaf will be hard-baked after folding the leaf edges. Parts of the figure will be cut out and ritualistically offered to fire-god (Homam), with the assumption that it is truely a lamb.

A largely unexplained and ignored event that is common at many Hindus housewarming ceremonies at least in Bangalore is the smashing of a gourd (an ash gourd?) with kumkum ( a red dye) that leaves a red mess on the floor. I have heard it being said that this is a vestige of animal sacrifice.

One of the big problems that I see among my Hindu elders is their decadence. Most of them (barring a few) do not know why something is said or done. The commonest explanation I get is "Our elders told us that this is the way".

This decadence is one of the biggest threats to Hinduism. I kid you not.

I am, at some other time and place, willing to put up a series of doubts and questions that nobody has any satisfactory explanation for - but these practices are continued without understanding among Hindus because "Our elders did them"

OT for now...
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

Raju wrote: This rice powder paste modelled as a lamb (Pishta-Pasu) on the baked plantain leaf will be hard-baked after folding the leaf edges. Parts of the figure will be cut out and ritualistically offered to fire-god (Homam), with the assumption that it is truely a lamb.
Yum! it is good to be a God and enjoy "real" lamb curry - can you pass the mint chutney as well? Shwaha :mrgreen: