Religion thread - 7

disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Kumar wrote:
Aditya Vikrams wrote:Kumar, I am one your kind but we will always be a minority
Aditya,

Thank you. Be not a'frodo. the "Fellowship of the Few" grows. Soon it will be able to tackle the Dark (matter) Lord.
Add me in if you like to, I am complete staunch vegetarian however I love good booze. Single malt anyone?
Manny
BRFite

Post by Manny »

S.Valkan,

Is that you Spock from the PF and the ODI forum? I could be be mistaken.

:eek:

Manny (M_M)
Last edited by Manny on 03 Apr 2007 00:52, edited 1 time in total.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

S Valkan Wrote
o
Actually, no.

But some sectarian Vaishnavas try to claim so in their "Purports" on stories of Jada Bharata.
My Srimad Bhagvatam is in India and I am temprarily here in the US . Will have check on this and get back to you . I don't think this is mentioned along with Jada Bharata, it is mentioned when Parikshit meets Kali.I am pretty sure it is not in the purport but actual text itself. Again I can speak only for Vaishnava Bhakti , that too I am not too authoritative of.
S.Valkan
BRFite

Post by S.Valkan »

Manny wrote:S.Valkan,

Manny (M_M)
We meet again, Candyman. :lol:
S.Valkan
BRFite

Post by S.Valkan »

Aditya Vikrams wrote:I don't think this is mentioned along with Jada Bharata, it is mentioned when Parikshit meets Kali.I am pretty sure it is not in the purport but actual text itself.
That is your misconception because of English transliteration.

The demon Kali versus BhadraKAALI

Maybe you should consult your Srimad Bhagavatam one more time.
Last edited by S.Valkan on 03 Apr 2007 01:37, edited 3 times in total.
Alok_N
BRFite

Post by Alok_N »

Johann wrote:Your militancy is once again misdirected as well as pointlessly and unfortunately personal - perhaps because you are making all the wrong assumptions about where I am coming from in this discussion.
I find that such "militancy" is often very effective ... let me tone it down and see if it works better ... so far it hasn't, but its worth a try ...
Your contention was that advanced physicists are the only scientific discipline fit to comment on religion's claims from a scientific point of view.

Once again, the point is not that religion has the answers that it claims to have- the point is that for example when it comes to a religion's standpoint on the origin of life it is biologists, doctors, etc not physicists are best placed to take on religion.
no soup again ... if you believe in science, then there was NO BIOLOGY 4 billion years ago ... hence, Biology can not have answers to universal truths that predate itself ... heck, there was NO EARTH 4 billion years ago ...

10 billion years ago there was NO CHEMISTRY either ... hence, physics is the 0nly way to understand the natural universe ...

this is not too hard, is it?
It isnt dark matter, but the predictions of germ theory, or watson and crick's prediction of the structure of DNA that establish creationism as nonsense. Similarly neurobiologists and cognitive science types are better placed to take on religious views on the nature of human consciousness.
it is quite easy to disprove nonsense ... the focus of physics is to discover non-nonsense ...

the connection to religion is that some religious thought also contains non-nonsense ...

that's where the twain shall meet ... :)
Last edited by Alok_N on 03 Apr 2007 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
Alok_N
BRFite

Post by Alok_N »

S.Valkan wrote:
Manny wrote:S.Valkan,

Manny (M_M)
We meet again, Candyman. :lol:
Candyman is Manny :rotfl:

Hey, guess who this is? :wink:
Manny
BRFite

Post by Manny »

Ah ha ha ha.... Alok N. Is that MT?

Hi Spock. See..how I guessed it was you.

:D

Manny aka MM
Alok_N
BRFite

Post by Alok_N »

welcome Manny,

Usually BRF does not promote chit-chat, but this is page 10 and this thread will be closed soon (most threads are closed when they reach page 9) ...

I am sure that you will enjoy your stay here ... :)

check out the Indo-US thread ... of course, there is a lot of discussion on Avionics ... folks, Manny is a pilot :wink:

sometime back I went to post on ODI but I realized that I had to pay 10 bucks to post ... not worth it ... in any case, it was full of Cham, Burt same ol' same ol' ...
RajGuru
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RajGuru »

Spock!! valkan!!! So you experiencing a Pon farr? Is that why you write some of the best posts in BRF?
Just kidding!!! :wink:
Manny
BRFite

Post by Manny »

Alok_N wrote:welcome Manny,

Usually BRF does not promote chit-chat, but this is page 10 and this thread will be closed soon (most threads are closed when they reach page 9) ...

I am sure that you will enjoy your stay here ... :)

check out the Indo-US thread ... of course, there is a lot of discussion on Avionics ... folks, Manny is a pilot :wink:

sometime back I went to post on ODI but I realized that I had to pay 10 bucks to post ... not worth it ... in any case, it was full of Cham, Burt same ol' same ol' ...
Yeah..I ruffled a few featers there.. But I am trying to keep myself away from trouble. So I don't get banned. You know me.. I am not the one to create trouble. ;)

:P
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

Alok_N wrote:if you believe in science, then there was NO BIOLOGY 4 billion years ago ... hence, Biology can not have answers to universal truths that predate itself ... heck, there was NO EARTH 4 billion years ago ...

10 billion years ago there was NO CHEMISTRY either ... hence, physics is the 0nly way to understand the natural universe ...
- Physics as it stands today has yet to demonstrate that 10b years ago it could have predicted the eventual rise of biological life, and the courses biological life have taken.

- It is the *process* of science that (in)validates predictions and claims.

The Quantum Physicist on his own is in no position to explain the evidence to the Christian fundamentalist (or for that matter secular but equally dogmatic Noam Chomsky with his 'universal grammar organ' who also excessively leans towards a sense of unique human capabilities and potential) why language is not unique to humans. The primatologist, other behavioural biologist, the neurobiologist, etc are in a better position to do that.
Last edited by Johann on 03 Apr 2007 01:39, edited 1 time in total.