The Tokyo Olympic Games Thread

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Re: The Tokyo Olympic Games Thread

Post by SBajwa »

51 years Indian Hockey is back among top. Congratulations. Very good win. Proud of our awesome team
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

This Indian team can win.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Well done PV Sindhu ! Kudos for overcoming the disappointment of missing the finals and securing the bronze!

Our hockey team has done well, needs to keep the focus and play at a higher level now. They can do it.
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

Yashu wrote:Mens Hockey India wins 3-1 against GB
I watched the second half of this match on the BBC Olympic coverage. India were 2-0 up when I started viewing but I was struck by the biased commentary in which the commentator frequently disagreed with the referee (a neutral Pole). In particular there was a sequence of about five penalty corners,; at the third the GB team appealed for "dangerous play" after a strike from a GB player rebounded gently from an Indian defender's stick towards another GB player. The ball was behind the GB player. Even the biased commentator pointed out that the GB player had not had to take evasive action. However on review the TMO (a German) granted another penalty corner. Eventually GB scored a scrappy goal from the last penalty corner.

In the fourth quarter, an Indian player was yellow (10 min off) carded with eight minutes left, effectively meaning India were down to 10 men for the rest of the match; the commentator was going mad, but the Indian defence stood firm, stole the ball near their D and passed it to the two men who had remained forward. The Indian forwards moved into the GB D and scored after the initial shot was saved! The biased commentator had to admit that the GB goose was cooked but he had a revival of spirit when GB appealed for a short corner when there were 48 seconds left. However this time the TMO refused them and India cleared the danger and had the ball at the GB end where the GK had been subbed for an upfield player. Unfortunately India did not score but the game ended 3-1 in their favour.

I must say the stories of Indian hockey being dead (above) seem to have been greatly exaggerated. According to the biased commentary, India had shown their attacking skills in the first half which I missed.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

US brings old cold war rivalry to Olympics wishes Russia was not allowed who are neck to neck in medal tally

https://indianexpress.com/article/expla ... y-7431548/
AshishA
BRFite

Post by AshishA »

Women's hockey team in the semi-finals! They defeated the Australia.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Unbelievable. This is the kind of performance that the Olympics are known for, except in India’s case . We come and lose as expected, or even if we were expected to do well . The women’s hockey team are so inspiring . Netherlands and Australia are the two unbeatables of women’s hockey .
Theeran
BRFite

Post by Theeran »

Watched the 2nd half. That was an excellent win. Congrats to the women.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

India making history. Men's hockey making semi-finals after 51 years and the first time ever medal in Women's hockey.

This is amazing. Indeed amazing. Praying that Indian Women will be able to defeat Argentina to advance to finals. And wishing & praying Indian Men defeat Belgium.

Also thanks goes to the current GOI and the dynamic Ex-Sports minister Hon. Kiren Rijiju.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

picture
Those Aussie hockey amazons stand about 0.5-1 ft taller than the Indian women . Amazing performance. Next up is Argentina - a very strong team but one lacking the legendary Luciana Aymar, who is thankfully retired.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

AshishA wrote:Women's hockey team in the semi-finals! They defeated the Australia.
Bismillah. Indian ladies defeating Australian muscular giants.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

VOW! Woke up to hear this excellent news. Congratulations. This is what makes the legends
S_Madhukar
BRFite

Post by S_Madhukar »

I worry that with all the trans nonsense how these women’s teams will line up from the goras. Already bulked up with red meat and gyms they might resort to trans tactics once they start getting beaten by svelte Asians :roll:
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Can not watch clips of action.it seems no indian tv channel has rights to broadcast Olympics. Not even DD? When is our team is playing with Belgium? Ici Rurosports shows only marches where Europeans are involved.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

S_Madhukar wrote:I worry that with all the trans nonsense how these women’s teams will line up from the goras. Already bulked up with red meat and gyms they might resort to trans tactics once they start getting beaten by svelte Asians :roll:
Here.

Change in trans policy?

Better sense might prevail.

And they've been beaten by svelte Asians for a while now - Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, and - technically - Russians.
Santosh
BRFite

Post by Santosh »

Well, India lost to Belgium 2-5 in men's hockey. :shock:
Theeran
BRFite

Post by Theeran »

Men's hockey loses 5-2 to Belgium. Bronze is the target now.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

rsingh wrote:Can not watch clips of action.it seems no indian tv channel has rights to broadcast Olympics. Not even DD? When is our team is playing with Belgium? Ici Rurosports shows only marches where Europeans are involved.
I thought DD was broadcasting.

You can watch it on Sony sports channels - there are like 4 of them and they often show different events simultaneously. If you have a cable or dish subscription, ask them to add the Sony sports channels. Wouldn't cost much.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

We lost to Belgium. We lost to a strong team.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

For the first 3 qtr the boys played very well. It's not a reflection of the physical skills. It's is a mental issue.

We need to start having sports psychologist present with every team. Not just at the Olympics. But all the time and at all the levels.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

We did very well given the class of the opposition . Belgium are just fielding one of the all time best ever hockey teams right now , with a peerless defense and midfield combined with Alexander Hemdryx for PCs . The final score flatters them and 3-2 would be closer; last two goals were just PCs during and end scramble.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Rani Rampal, Who Led India To Olympic Semis, Once Couldn't Afford Hockey Stick

Rani Rampal, captain of the Indian women's hockey team, has much to celebrate today. The Indian women's hockey team stunned Australia to enter the semi-finals in the Tokyo Olympics - and with this win, Rani Rampal is one step closer to realising her Olympic gold dream. In an interview with Humans of Bombay last week, she had explained how she wants to repay her coach and her family for their support with an Olympic gold medal. "I'm determined to repay them [her family] and coach with something they've always dreamed of- a gold medal from Tokyo," she had said.
Rani Rampal's journey from a child who could not afford a hockey stick to becoming the youngest player in the national women's hockey team to participate in the 2010 World Cup (she qualified when she was only 15), is nothing short of inspirational. The 26-year-old opened up about her journey in the interview with Humans of Bombay.

"I wanted an escape from my life; from the electricity shortages, to the mosquitoes buzzing in our ear when we slept, from barely having two square meals to seeing our home getting flooded when it rained," she said.

Rani Rampal's mother worked as a maid, her father was a cart-puller. There was a hockey academy near their home, and Rani would spend hours watching the teams play, and longing to join them. Her father, who earned around ₹ 80 a day, could not afford to buy her a hockey stick, she recalls.

"Everyday, I'd ask the coach to teach me too. He'd reject me because I was malnourished," said Rani.

Undeterred, she found a broken hockey stick and began practicing on her own. Finally, after a lot of convincing, the coach decided to give her a try - but it wasn't all smooth-sailing from there.

At the academy, all children were expected to bring 500ml of milk every day. "My family could only afford milk worth 200 ml; without telling anyone, I'd mix the milk with water and drink it because I wanted to play," Rani told Humans of Bombay.

Moreover, everyone was expected to start training early in the morning. With no clock at home, her mother would stay up and look at the sky to check if it was the right time to wake
But the hockey player found support in her coach too, not just her family. "He'd buy me hockey kits and shoes. He even allowed me to live with his family and took care of my dietary needs. I'd train hard and wouldn't miss a single day of practice," Rani Rampal remembered.

After earning her first salary - ₹ 500 on winning a tournament - Rani handed the money to her father. "He hadn't ever held so much money in his hands before. I promised my family, 'One day, we're going to have our own home'; I did everything in my power to work towards that."

After several state championships, Rani Rampal got the national call when she was 15. "With my family's support, I focused on doing my best for India and eventually, I became captain of the Indian hockey team!" she said.

Four years ago, Rani was able to fulfil the promise she had made her family - she bought a house for them. " We cried together and held each other tightly! And I'm not done yet; this year, I'm determined to repay them and Coach with something they've always dreamed of- a gold medal from Tokyo," she concluded.

Rani Rampal's inspiring journey from broken hockey sticks to the Tokyo Olympics has struck a chord with social media users. While her post has racked up thousands of 'likes', the comments section has been flooded with people congratulating and complimenting the athlete.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

PM Modi to invite Indian Olympics contingent as special guests to Red Fort on Independence Day

https://indianexpress.com/article/olymp ... y-7436330/
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Neeraj Chopra qualifies for javelin final with an 86.65m throw , the top throw and an automatic qualification over the 84m final qualification baseline. Johannes Vetter, the world #1 finished second in qualification with 85.64. Interestingly Neeraj made the mark on his very first throw and left - he had three throws and didn’t bother trying anything once he topped the mark on first try .
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

It’s weird that those with personal best above 90m are struggling to hit 80s in qualifiers. I hope they don’t switch to higher gear in finals!
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

The bronze medal throw in 2016 Olympics is 85.38m. NC’s qualification throw is more than that.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

The finals performance is what matters. Discus thrower Gaur couldn't attain her qualification distance in the finals. The rain made it hard for all of them.

Long jumper (forget his name) - if he had equaled his own national record, would've won bronze, but he didn't
bharathp
BRFite

Post by bharathp »

lovlina has settled for bronze in boxing. we now have 3 medals - i think this is our joint second best so far.
2 wrestlers are in semis
we still have
mens hockey bronze medal match
womens hockey semi final (two shots at a medal)
javelin possibility of a medal as well.

femal golfer aditi is placed 2nd after round 2

our best olympic haul was 6 medals (2012).

but so far 2021 has been best overall - we had many medal hopefuls in many fields - not something we could even dream of until 2016.
AshishA
BRFite

Post by AshishA »

I wanted to just add that medal pursuit is a great thing but I think govt can develop a all round strategy to develop the level of fitness of the country. Then we would have a good talent pool where the future greats can be scouted. It will also solve many health crisises we currently are facing, many resulting from obesity.

Pursuit of medals while ignoring the overall fitness of the country will be meaningless.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

If our shooters and archers had done well, we'd be looking at even more!
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

-Lovlina Borgohain loses out in SF boxing, settles for a bronze (another medal for India).
-Neeraj Chopda qualifies for final in Javelin throw
-Ravi Kumar qualifies for SF wrestling light weight
-Deepak Punia qualifies for SF wrestling
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Suraj wrote:Neeraj Chopra qualifies for javelin final with an 86.65m throw , the top throw and an automatic qualification over the 84m final qualification baseline. Johannes Vetter, the world #1 finished second in qualification with 85.64. Interestingly Neeraj made the mark on his very first throw and left - he had three throws and didn’t bother trying anything once he topped the mark on first try .
I remember you were the first to talk about him here in 2019
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Prem Kumar wrote:
rsingh wrote:Can not watch clips of action.it seems no indian tv channel has rights to broadcast Olympics. Not even DD? When is our team is playing with Belgium? Ici Rurosports shows only marches where Europeans are involved.
I thought DD was broadcasting.

You can watch it on Sony sports channels - there are like 4 of them and they often show different events simultaneously. If you have a cable or dish subscription, ask them to add the Sony sports channels. Wouldn't cost much.
very poor coverage of Olympics this time which should be automatically transmitted across the world ! One has to make extra efforts to watch events.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

IndraD wrote:
Suraj wrote:Neeraj Chopra qualifies for javelin final with an 86.65m throw , the top throw and an automatic qualification over the 84m final qualification baseline. Johannes Vetter, the world #1 finished second in qualification with 85.64. Interestingly Neeraj made the mark on his very first throw and left - he had three throws and didn’t bother trying anything once he topped the mark on first try .
I remember you were the first to talk about him here in 2019
2016. He was the world junior champion and junior world record holder that year, with a throw of 86.48m, by several metres better than the previous junior world record. His throw ended the competition - the silver medal was a hilarious 6+ meters behind, in an event where at least at the junior level the differences are in a few centimeters among the best youngsters:

His best capability is his big occasion temperament. He's the only Indian athlete ever to be junior world champion, Asian champion, Asian games champion and Commonwealth games champion - all of which he accomplished by age 20.

Vetter might be dialing himself in for the final, but the article in Indian Express describes him trying to address technical issues with the stadium setting as well as high temp/humidity affecting him. Chopra also had issues with it during his warmup throws, and he changed his throw angle to account for it. We will know on the 4th whether Vetter's performance was just a warmup effort or whether he's really struggling to dial in the right throwing mechanism for Tokyo Stadium, and whether Neeraj really has it in him to beat Vetter to win the Olympic gold.
AshishA
BRFite

Post by AshishA »

Ravi Kumar has advanced into the final.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

INCREDIBLE win for Ravi Kumar. Down 2-9 with a minute left, does a 2-pt fall and then brute force pins his opponents shoulder to the mat to win by default. Video here:
https://twitter.com/sameera61518293/sta ... 93672?s=21
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Just wow !!
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

Women's Hockey Team loses the SF vs Argentina ( 1-2)

Will play vs GB in the Bronze Medal Match
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Couldn't Agree more
"For a long time it was India saving the girl child.

Now the girls are saving India."
via Gopichand