Civil Aviation Development & Discussion

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Re: Civil Aviation Development & Discussion

Post by SriKumar »

chetak saab.....how did you manage to know the g forces during the turbulence :D , something that would be known only to the sensors on the plane, and those who interrogated them :D. I googled and did not get a quick hit....but then my google search skills are not that great.

On a different note, I could not fathom why the oxygen masks would deploy. These are programmed to drop when the cabin pressure is below a certain value (of above 8000 ft air pressure, as I recall). The plane was landing and Durgapur altitude is only around 250 ft above seat level. So I doubt it was above 8000 ft though there is no report of the altitude of the craft when the masks droppped. If the craft was actually above 8000 ft (or whatever the magic number is) and the mask deployment was not due to a malfunction, that would impy the fuselage was structurally compromised somewhere.

As an aside, I've read too many news items about passengers hitting the roof (literally, not figuratively) due to unexpected turbulence....I keep my belt fastened all the time.

Truly un-related note...but there is no news from the China aircrash a month ago. The FDR and CVR were recovered within a couple of days of the crash. No word on whether the data was recovered, and what was found on it. I am guessing the Chinese investigators and the Boeing investigators are in a tussle to determine the source of fault.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SriKumar wrote:chetak saab.....how did you manage to know the g forces during the turbulence :D , something that would be known only to the sensors on the plane, and those who interrogated them :D. I googled and did not get a quick hit....but then my google search skills are not that great.

SriKumar ji,

where there is a will, there is always a way.

and SriKumar ji, just because you didn't find something doesn't mean that it's cooked up

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/spi ... 35965.html

In its preliminary probe report into the SpiceJet accident, DGCA revealed flight was on "autopilot mode" when it faced turbulence. SpiceJet flight SG-945 from Mumbai to Durgapur on Sunday encountered severe turbulence during descent which unfortunately resulted in injuries to 14 passengers. The aviation watchdog Director-General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) started a probe into the matter on Monday

The DGCA report said, "During this period, the autopilot got disengaged for two minutes and the crew manually flew the aircraft. Aircraft reported to Durgapur ATC that few passengers were injured due to turbulence and requested medical assistance after landing."

Further, the DGCA investigation highlighted it was a close shave for over 190 passengers on May 1 at Durgapur airport. "Spice jet B737-800 aircraft VT-SLH operating flight SG-945 (Mumbai-Durgapur) encountered severe turbulence during descent. There was a total of 195 persons on board the aircraft including 02 pilots and 04 cabin crew members. The aircraft took off from Mumbai at approx. 1713 IST. During descent, the aircraft experienced severe turbulence and the vertical load factor varied from 2.64G and -1.36G," DGCA's initial probe report stated.

Meanwhile, the aviation regulator has off-rostered the involved crew, the aircraft maintenance engineer (AME) and in charge of the maintenance control center of spice-jet.

DGCA officials met the injured passengers and recorded their statements. Later, speaking about it, they said, “There were injuries to fourteen passengers and three cabin crew. The injuries were related to head, spine, shoulder, forehead and facial injuries. At present three passengers are hospitalized. Two of the passengers are in ICU at Durgapur."

and many many other places too, on the web

I even have the names of the crew and the aircraft tail number, but that info I am not going to put out on an open forum

BTW,

Modern passenger airplanes have two or more units called AHRS (Attitude Heading Reference System.)

The AHRS provides attitude and heading information to the flight instruments.

Inside the AHRS are there three gyros and three accelerometers.

After landing can the pilots read maximum up/down forces that acted on the aircraft in flight and during landing.

Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

SriKumar wrote: On a different note, I could not fathom why the oxygen masks would deploy. These are programmed to drop when the cabin pressure is below a certain value (of above 8000 ft air pressure, as I recall).
No exactly accurate as masks get deployed during other situations too and I have experienced it personally during a flight which encountered minor turbulence around 12000 feet. No loss of pressure happened and according to the flight attendant, a certain amount turbulent motion will trigger them and also additional oxygen helps some passengers to stay calm.
Last edited by Jay on 05 May 2022 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SriKumar wrote:chetak saab.....how did you manage to know the g forces during the turbulence :D , something that would be known only to the sensors on the plane, and those who interrogated them :D. I googled and did not get a quick hit....but then my google search skills are not that great.
SriKumar ji

for those not so computer savvy

these are also additionally fitted in many modern commercial cockpits, and makes for a simpler and a far more more basic readout

SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

First.....no ji for me, please. I like the plain 'no-ranks/no heirarchy' feel of an anonymous forum. Second, there was no implication, explicit or implicit, that it was cooked up. I was surprised that such specific data was released in public. I thought you had 'your sources' in the right places :D
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Jay wrote:
SriKumar wrote: On a different note, I could not fathom why the oxygen masks would deploy. These are programmed to drop when the cabin pressure is below a certain value (of above 8000 ft air pressure, as I recall).
No exactly accurate as masks get deployed during other situations too and I have experienced it personally during a flight which encountered minor turbulence around 12000 feet. No loss of pressure happened and according to the flight attendant, a certain amount turbulent motion will trigger them as additional oxygen helps some passengers to stay calm.
This is interesting. Oxygen masks dropping could be a cause for alarm for other passengers. :D
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SriKumar wrote:First.....no ji for me, please. I like the plain 'no-ranks/no heirarchy' feel of an anonymous forum. Second, there was no implication, explicit or implicit, that it was cooked up. I was surprised that such specific data was released in public. I thought you had 'your sources' in the right places :D
SriKumar ji

In my misspent youth, among many other things, worked for two airlines.

numerous chaddi dosts fly for many others, here and abroad.

too many smileys in a post sends out a very different vibe so no real need for implication, explicit or implicit

like google is a friend to many, one has WA as a good friend too and my inputs came much before they were published

had one posted earlier, one risked being kicked out of some useful WA groups.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

chetak wrote:
https://www.livemint.com/news/india/spi ... 35965.html
In its preliminary probe report into the SpiceJet accident, DGCA revealed flight was on "autopilot mode" when it faced turbulence. SpiceJet flight SG-945 from Mumbai to Durgapur on Sunday encountered severe turbulence during descent which unfortunately resulted in injuries to 14 passengers. The aviation watchdog Director-General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) started a probe into the matter on Monday

The DGCA report said, "During this period, the autopilot got disengaged for two minutes and the crew manually flew the aircraft. Aircraft reported to Durgapur ATC that few passengers were injured due to turbulence and requested medical assistance after landing."

Further, the DGCA investigation highlighted it was a close shave for over 190 passengers on May 1 at Durgapur airport. "Spice jet B737-800 aircraft VT-SLH operating flight SG-945 (Mumbai-Durgapur) encountered severe turbulence during descent. There was a total of 195 persons on board the aircraft including 02 pilots and 04 cabin crew members. The aircraft took off from Mumbai at approx. 1713 IST. During descent, the aircraft experienced severe turbulence and the vertical load factor varied from 2.64G and -1.36G," DGCA's initial probe report stated.

Meanwhile, the aviation regulator has off-rostered the involved crew, the aircraft maintenance engineer (AME) and in charge of the maintenance control center of spice-jet.

DGCA officials met the injured passengers and recorded their statements. Later, speaking about it, they said, “There were injuries to fourteen passengers and three cabin crew. The injuries were related to head, spine, shoulder, forehead and facial injuries. At present three passengers are hospitalized. Two of the passengers are in ICU at Durgapur."
Nothing in the article indicates that the crew did something wrong, so why were they de-rostered ? What were they supposed to do instead ?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

srin wrote:
Nothing in the article indicates that the crew did something wrong, so why were they de-rostered ? What were they supposed to do instead ?
DGCA doesn't agree with the decision to ferry the aircraft.

they have always suffered from a pronounced "not invented here" syndrome
Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

SriKumar wrote: This is interesting. Oxygen masks dropping could be a cause for alarm for other passengers. :D
Yes it is, but it also helps calm passengers who were anxious and hyperventilating out of fear.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Jay wrote:
SriKumar wrote: This is interesting. Oxygen masks dropping could be a cause for alarm for other passengers. :D
Yes it is, but it also helps calm passengers who were anxious and hyperventilating out of fear.
Jay saab,

Wouldn't it be a tad difficult to pray loudly for deliverance, hyperventilate, and take deep oxygen filled breaths, all at the same time, and do all this while your entire life is flashing before your eyes and your hugely overweight but not seat belted neighbour is being repeatedly bounced off the ceiling.

The real threat to life would be from being quashed to death by the bouncing avoirdupois neighbour

just a thought onlee...
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Delhi airport knocks out Dubai, becomes 2nd busiest airport in March: OAG report
A leading data travel provider Official Airline Guide (OAG), in its recent report, has said that Delhi's Indra Gandhi Airport (IGI) has emerged as the world's second busiest airport in March in terms of domestic and international flights. Whilst Atlanta retains its position as largest, Dubai is knocked out of second place this month (March) by Delhi airport—with a seating capacity of 3,611,181 seats—which moves up from third place last month (Feb), the OAG's report said. The civil aviation industry in India has gradually started showing signs of recovery in 2022 after remaining subdued for the last two years due to pandemic restrictions.
The Delhi airport handled about 31.61 million domestic passengers and 5.49 million international traffic in 2021. It emerged as the top-most among all Indian airports in terms of handling domestic as well as international passenger traffic in CY 2020 and CY 2021. In March this year, the airport handled 3.61 million seats, the OAG report said. The airport was on 23rd place in March 2019 before the pandemic, the report further added.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Airspace coordination in India helps airlines save big.

Coordination between defence and civilian authorities has freed up airspace for commercial airlines in India, resulting in routes becoming shorter and costs coming down, apart from mitigating pollution.

“Due to various restrictions of the military, only about 58 per cent of the Indian airspace was being utilised. It is close to 70 per cent now,” said an official of the Airports Authority of India (AAI).

Officials of the AAI said to date 119 routes had been shortened.

Sources said since December 2020 the cumulative savings of airlines had been close to Rs 200 crore while there was a reduction in emission of around 45,000 tonnes of carbon.

While the target has been short of the government’s expectations of savings of Rs 1,000 crore per year, this has been primarily because of reduction in the number of flights due to the pandemic.

Aviation turbine fuel accounts for 35-40 per cent of the operating costs of an airline. Due to high taxes, it’s around 40 per cent more expensive than in other countries. With global crude oil prices at over $100 per barrel, shorter routes pinch airlines’ pockets much less.

While the idea of a rational usage of airspace was proposed in 2014, airline executives said the military was apprehensive about the idea and much development didn’t take place until 2020.

That was when the opening up of the airspace available with the armed forces was among the Covid relief measures announced by Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman for the stressed aviation sector, which was awaiting a stimulus package.

India has set up a central air traffic flow management facility, where officials from Air Navigation Services, Indian Air Force, and Indian Army work together to allow direct routing whenever restricted air space is not in use.

“The Indian Air Force (IAF) has been reluctant to share civil and military space primarily because the IAF’s flying is very dynamic in nature. "It is intensive and requires a huge volume of airspace. So, while the military used to allow short direct routing through restricted airspace on and off, it was not mainstreamed.

"Now, unless that area is being used by the military it is always available and a permanent part of navigation charts for airlines,” said a flight dispatcher.

Flight dispatch is involved in planning flight paths, taking into account aircraft performance and loading and weather conditions.

For instance, in the Delhi-Srinagar sector, flight time has reduced by around 10 minutes after the IAF opened up much airspace in Punjab. This, for an Airbus A320neo, which is the most commonly used aircraft in India, implies a saving of almost 400 kg of fuel.

Or on routes to Chennai from east Indian airports like Kolkata, Durgapur, and Agartala, the route has been cut by almost 15 minutes because the IAF has allowed it to use the airspace near Sulur Air Force Station near Coimbatore, which was previously unavailable.

Sources said IndiGo, India’s largest airline, has saved around Rs 100 crore since December 2020 and has reduced carbon emissions of around 32,000 tonnes. Foreign airlines like Saudia, Etihad, and Qatar Airlines also have benefited from the direct routing.

Reduction in carbon emission is crucial for India because carbon offsetting norms for Indian airlines will kick in from 2027.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Air India considering buying 300 aircraft in one of the largest deals in history
Air India Ltd is considering ordering as many as 300 narrowbody jets, according to people familiar with the matter, in what could be one of the largest orders in commercial aviation history as the formerly state-run airline looks to overhaul its fleet under new ownership. The carrier may order Airbus SE’s A320neo family jets or Boeing Co’s 737 Max models, or a mix of both, the people said, asking not to be identified because the discussions are confidential. A deal for 300 737 Max-10 jets couldbe worth $40.5 billion at sticker prices, although discounts are common in such large purchases.

Winning a narrowbody order in India would be a coup for Boeing, as rival Airbus dominates the skies in the country, the world’s fastest-growing aviation market before the Covid pandemic. IndiGo, operated by InterGlobe Aviation Ltd, is the world’s largest customer for the European manufacturer’s best-selling narrowbodies, ordering more than 700, and others including Vistara, Go Airlines India Ltd and AirAsia India Ltd fly planes from the same family.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

300! GoI and TATA better pitch for local assembly for whatever they buy citing C-295 deal.
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

Airbus backlog is somewhere close to 6000 planes.
Without local assembly it would be difficult for them to fulfill such a large order.
Doubt they may go for Jugaadu Max.
Maybe order a small quantity of MC 21 from Russia with payment in Ruppees\Roubles.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

This is big & long awaited..........

Safran to set up its largest aircraft engine MRO in India

By Anirban Chowdhury, ET Bureau Last Updated: Jul 07, 2022, 01:04 PM IST

Safran Engineering, whose engines will power the largest number of Indian airliners in the next few years, is setting up its biggest maintenance repair and overhaul (MRO) facility in Hyderabad, its CEO said Thursday.
The facility, which will be able to handle up to 300 engine shop visits annually, will also be the biggest in India to be set up by a major global engine manufacturer. The French engine-maker will invest up to $200 million in the MRO facility, Olivier Andriès told reporters on the sidelines of an event.

Construction will start in 2023 and the company hopes to receive its first customer in 2025. Currently, Safran’s largest MRO facilities are in its headquarters in France and in Mexico.

CFM Engineering, a joint venture between Safran and Americian engineering giant GE, makes the CFM56, Leap-1A and Leap-1B that power most of the Airbus A320s and the Boeing 737s in India.

There are currently 600 CFM engines powering 330 passenger aircraft flown by six airlines in India, said Jean-Paul Alary, chief of Safran aircraft engines. That number will go up to 1,500 in the next few decades, making it the biggest engine orderbook from Indian carriers, including the soon-to-fly Akasa.
“We have clearly explained to the central government in New Delhi that the tax regime was a problem. We couldn’t establish any MRO activity in India because in the previous tax regime, we were taxed twice. We told the government if you change this tax regime, then we will come. And that’s what happened,” said Andriès.

In March, the government reduced GST on domestic MRO services to 5% from 18%.

Read Full Article From Here//
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 719096.cms
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Few weeks ago I bought a direct (SFO to DEL) one way ticket by Air India. Next day I called their customer service and cancelled the ticket. The rep said I will receive full refund but I found later they deducted $250 dollars and refunded the balance. In these cases (when you cancel the tickets next day) most US airlines refund the full amount even if you are an hour or two late. Anyway, I filed a complaint with the DOT, USA . They sent my complaint to Air India and today I received the balance. Now a days AI is directing web booking to an Indian website dot IN. I could not use credit card to pay but had to use a link to pay from my Indian Bank. I hope the new owners Tatas will fix these issues.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Bought AI tickets PAR-HYD-PAR from France using my Fr bank issued master card in May on AI intl website. No problems.

Also bought HYD-PAR-HYD from Hyd using the same intl card, on AI .in website in June for my mother. Again no problems.
venkat_kv
BRFite

Post by venkat_kv »

The current Central govt headed by Modi has opened a new green field airport for civilians in Arunachal Pradesh near the capital Itanagar in a place called Hollongi. The name of the airport is named as "Donyi Polo" which refers to Sun and Moon which is what most of the tribal sects revere in Arunachal and for a change is not named after any single person or dynast.

The previous set of airports were all military in nature (like Tezu and Pasighat) and were used for civilian travel in case of necessity. Most of the time people flew to Guwahati Assam and then had alternate modes of transport.

The airport seem to have provisions to expand for wide body aircraft in the future if so required.

https://www.outlookindia.com/travel/aru ... ews-211159

https://zeenews.india.com/aviation/arun ... 93516.html
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Good move on the Itanagar airport. Sourly needed connectivity to a state which is very large and strategically important.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Air India's ground handling, engineering units to be put on sale: Report
The government is planning to invite expressions of interest (EoI) for the erstwhile ground-handling and engineering units of Air India by November as it aims to complete the transaction this fiscal, business daily the Economic Times reported.

The department of investment and public asset management (DIPAM) last week started roadshows to scout for buyers for Air India Airport Services (AIASL) and Air India Engineering Services (AIESL) to scale bidders’ interest. Consultancy firm EY is the transaction adviser for the process, the report said.
The roadshows saw participation from Indian companies such as the Bird group and Tata Sons, the holding company of Tata Group which now owns Air India, for the ground handling unit. Major international companies such as Swiss ground handling company Swissport and Turkish firm Celebi Aviation Holding also showed interest.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Delhi and some other airport ground machinery is provided by one Israili company. Met the guy on Thelys train to Anmsterdam. Guy knew Indian airports like back of his fingers.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

saip wrote:Few weeks ago I bought a direct (SFO to DEL) one way ticket by Air India. Next day I called their customer service and cancelled the ticket. The rep said I will receive full refund but I found later they deducted $250 dollars and refunded the balance. In these cases (when you cancel the tickets next day) most US airlines refund the full amount even if you are an hour or two late. Anyway, I filed a complaint with the DOT, USA . They sent my complaint to Air India and today I received the balance. Now a days AI is directing web booking to an Indian website dot IN. I could not use credit card to pay but had to use a link to pay from my Indian Bank. I hope the new owners Tatas will fix these issues.
For the last mentioned item, this is probably the well known issues with US-Issued credit cards from Visa/MC not properly implementing 3D Secure. They cause these cards to pervasively fail on online transactions at many overseas portals - not just in India. This is not AIs or even Indias problem but entirely an American one - even the higher end Chase Sapphire Reserve card fails in both India and Japan due to this. American credit card technology is just well behind India and rest of the world.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Thanks, Suraj, I did not know that. Many times US cards fail even to book rail tickets. They only gave me Rs80k limit on my Indian card (Kotak's) which is too little to buy air tickets to India. But it works for Indian tickets in India. As soon as I use it, I pay it off.
sumsumne
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sumsumne »

https://indianexpress.com/article/expla ... n-8163659/

How the Tata Group’s airline merger plan will unfold

The Tata Group will consolidate its entire airline business by 2024. Here's how it will merge its four airline companies.
As part of the plan being discussed at multiple levels within the group, the consolidation process is likely to start with the merger of AirAsia India into Air India Express, and will be completed over the next 12 months.

Post this, the group is likely to look at an option of merging its full-service carrier Vistara into Air India, with the likelihood of Singapore Airlines (SIA) – an equity partner in Vistara – eventually partnering with the Tata Group to become part-owners of Air India as well.
I don't quite get why the partnership with SIA is needed/required especially when SIA itself is in big trouble with the long term viability of their business model (premium experience) and the slow slow down of Singapore as a business destination / hub.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Boeing offers 737 max jets to Air India amid US-China trade tensions
Boeing Co. is offering 737 Max jets once slated for Chinese customers to Air India Ltd. as the planemaker tries to offload some of the roughly 140 aircraft it’s currently not allowed to deliver. The Indian carrier, which is overhauling its fleet under new owner Tata Group, is one of a number of potential customers for Boeing, which is in talks with lessors and other airlines, according to people familiar with the matter. Many operators are eager to line up new narrowbody jets while Boeing and rival Airbus SE struggle to hit production targets amid labor and parts shortages.
The US manufacturer hasn’t been allowed to deliver Max aircraft to China for more than three years as it grapples with escalating trade tensions and repercussions from two fatal crashes of the workhorse jet. China was the first to ground the Max in March 2019, and held off approving its return long after US regulators lifted a ban in late 2020.

Dave Calhoun, the company’s chief executive officer, told reporters in September that Boeing “can’t wait forever" and was putting a small number of jets back on the market. The planemaker has about $5 billion in cash tied up in the already-built jets earmarked for China, according to George Ferguson, analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Bell 407 helicopter, VT-RPN, of Aryan Aviation crashed while on way from Kedarnath to Guptkashi.

6 onboard reported dead.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... 90413.html
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Govt in advanced talks with industry for setting up international aviation hub in India
minister said India should be able to touch 400 million airline passengers in the next eight years, while it was just one airport short of doubling its airport capacity to 148 airports from just 74 in FY13-14. He added that given the fleet acquisition plans of Indian carriers, the total number of civilian aircraft in the country would reach anywhere from 1,500-2,000 over the next seven years from the present 700.

If the minister’s plan comes to fruition, the country would not only offer an alternative to rival international aviation hubs such as Dubai and Singapore in Asia-Pacific but also make international fares from India more competitive.
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

Prasad wrote:Govt in advanced talks with industry for setting up international aviation hub in India
minister said India should be able to touch 400 million airline passengers in the next eight years, while it was just one airport short of doubling its airport capacity to 148 airports from just 74 in FY13-14. He added that given the fleet acquisition plans of Indian carriers, the total number of civilian aircraft in the country would reach anywhere from 1,500-2,000 over the next seven years from the present 700.

If the minister’s plan comes to fruition, the country would not only offer an alternative to rival international aviation hubs such as Dubai and Singapore in Asia-Pacific but also make international fares from India more competitive.
What I want is for Indian Airlines to start hub & spoke system from Indian airports. I want the mid eastern airlines to be cut out of this market totally. For too long the mid eastern airlines have provided pretty bad service to the Indian travelling public and I have pretty much used all the middle eastern airlines till date
drnayar
BRFite

Re: Indian Economy News & Discussion - Nov 27 2017

Post by drnayar »

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... 0-amp.html

Air India has sealed a jumbo deal for about 500 new planes worth more than $100 billion at list prices, in what could become the single largest order by any airline as it seeks to reinvent itself under its new owners, industry sources told Reuters.

Hope they use the deal to get at least assembly lines for the aircraft and maintenance facilities. The engines itself would be in thousands.
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

TATAs should link up with GoI on this and give the order to a Embraer civil aircraft - they are a smaller company and be willing to setup lines in India for such a large order. GoI could even take a stake in Embraer to enable this - similar to what they did with Maruti to jumpstart modern car production in India.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

drnayar wrote:https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... 0-amp.html

Air India has sealed a jumbo deal for about 500 new planes worth more than $100 billion at list prices, in what could become the single largest order by any airline as it seeks to reinvent itself under its new owners, industry sources told Reuters.

Hope they use the deal to get at least assembly lines for the aircraft and maintenance facilities. The engines itself would be in thousands.
This must be a strategic purchase with entire assembly line and engineering moved to India like how Chinese did. I hope someone at government level is paying close attention.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

The Pegion was in US recently. i hope we can get Boeing + GE to invest . Japan with a much smaller market manufactures abt 30 % of the supply chain
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Even if we can grab a share of the MRO business it will be huge. China is the biggest player - most carriers including AI send their planes to China for periodic maintenance, interior and exterior refurbishment. This is an excellent industry in that it uses large volumes of semi and high skilled labour, but one has to be plugged into a frictionless global supply chain - can't delay getting to work because seats are waiting for customs clearance. Best part of aircraft maintenance is that a large quantum of engineering work comes to your doorstep if you can offer good service.
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

vimal wrote:This must be a strategic purchase with entire assembly line and engineering moved to India like how Chinese did. I hope someone at government level is paying close attention.
Yes, this does seem like a strategic deal with goremint support. See these newslinks from a few weeks ago:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 015972.cms

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/indi ... he-country
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

V_Raman wrote:TATAs should link up with GoI on this and give the order to a Embraer civil aircraft - they are a smaller company and be willing to setup lines in India for such a large order. GoI could even take a stake in Embraer to enable this - similar to what they did with Maruti to jumpstart modern car production in India.
Embraer only makes regional jets. Its largest aircraft, the E190-E2 series are smaller than the A320neo's and 737Max's that AI has ordered. And for widebodies Airbus and Boeing are the only options. Nobody else builds any.

The Chinese managed to wrangle an assembly line out of Airbus because their state owned carriers coordinated their orders in return as a big carrot. Not possible in India where the Airlines are privately owned. Not to mention that all three of their state owned airlines are much larger than their Indian counterparts and seem to be well-run despite being state owned, something we could never manage with Air India.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

nachiket wrote:
V_Raman wrote:TATAs should link up with GoI on this and give the order to a Embraer civil aircraft - they are a smaller company and be willing to setup lines in India for such a large order. GoI could even take a stake in Embraer to enable this - similar to what they did with Maruti to jumpstart modern car production in India.
Embraer only makes regional jets. Its largest aircraft, the E190-E2 series are smaller than the A320neo's and 737Max's that AI has ordered. And for widebodies Airbus and Boeing are the only options. Nobody else builds any.

The Chinese managed to wrangle an assembly line out of Airbus because their state owned carriers coordinated their orders in return as a big carrot. Not possible in India where the Airlines are privately owned. Not to mention that all three of their state owned airlines are much larger than their Indian counterparts and seem to be well-run despite being state owned, something we could never manage with Air India.
This was tried by Paramount Airways, promoted by a Coimbatore based entrepreneur to offer direct service from smaller cities to key metro such as Mumbai, Delhi. It folded up after some years.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/ShivAroor/status/16 ... x_OAgC52NA ---> Air India signs massive deal with @Airbus to acquire 250 passenger aircraft:

* 140 x A-320
* 70 x A-321
* 40 x A-350

Deal with @Boeing to be announced too.

Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

^^ selfishly I want to see direct flights from US to Indian cities .. will cut down travel time from 21 or 24 hrs to 14 or 16