Indian IT Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian IT Industry

Post by Vayutuvan »

Brietbart wrote: When he detailed the long-term financial impact in October, Wall Street was stunned. Intel shed nearly $25 billion in market value in one day.
I think Intel's problem is not related to fabs or lack there off. They are losing Mobile phone processor market to others. Desktops are being replaced by internet devices like OTT, Smart TVs, graphics, and even HPC computations with GPGPUs. There in lies their problem.
vcsekhar
BRFite

Post by vcsekhar »

This is such racist tripe but then again its on Brietbart, so can we expect any better???

My experience of studying my Masters in a good US college and then working in several great companies have shown me that the exact opposite happens.
There were a few Indians in each of the teams that I worked for and every single one of them was extremely intelligent (mostly from a top tier indian college) and extremely hard working. We used to be there burning midnight oil to get stuff done, as opposed to most of the regular janta who would disappear as soon as their 8 hrs got done. These guys also would chat endlessly about politics and such at every opportunity and generally waste a lot of time. None, and I mean none, of the Indians were ever talking about Caste or class etc etc.

Even in Graduate school, most of the students were either from India or China/Taiwan/(other east asian contries) and maybe about 10 to 20% would be American. But these guys would be really good and mostly would go on to do their Phd's not leave after their MS like other foreign students.

Anyways, I hope the US gets its shit together and starts competing properly again, else its going to be the Century of China. I have very little hope that India will actually get close to China in its industrial capability. But, I sincerely hope that I am wrong in this.
Ambar wrote:I am not surprised such an article is published on Brietbart known for its far right politics, but I am shocked how much of racial, ethnic, cultural prejudice and stereotypes from the past century is still super-imposed on modern day issues. So your typical liberal arts loving, social justice demanding, gender confused pride parade marching American kid is not to blame for the decline in quality of US tech but it is your "regionalist, misogynist,castist" hindoo who is to blame !
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Vayutuvan wrote:
Brietbart wrote: When he detailed the long-term financial impact in October, Wall Street was stunned. Intel shed nearly $25 billion in market value in one day.
I think Intel's problem is not related to fabs or lack there off. They are losing Mobile phone processor market to others. Desktops are being replaced by internet devices like OTT, Smart TVs, graphics, and even HPC computations with GPGPUs. There in lies their problem.
What stops intel from entering smartphones and automotive sectors ? There's nearly 3 yrs worth of backlog for microchips in the auto industry, with intel's war chest they can scale up quite quickly.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

vcsekhar wrote:This is such racist tripe but then again its on Brietbart, so can we expect any better???

My experience of studying my Masters in a good US college and then working in several great companies have shown me that the exact opposite happens.
There were a few Indians in each of the teams that I worked for and every single one of them was extremely intelligent (mostly from a top tier indian college) and extremely hard working. We used to be there burning midnight oil to get stuff done, as opposed to most of the regular janta who would disappear as soon as their 8 hrs got done. These guys also would chat endlessly about politics and such at every opportunity and generally waste a lot of time. None, and I mean none, of the Indians were ever talking about Caste or class etc etc.

Even in Graduate school, most of the students were either from India or China/Taiwan/(other east asian contries) and maybe about 10 to 20% would be American. But these guys would be really good and mostly would go on to do their Phd's not leave after their MS like other foreign students.

Anyways, I hope the US gets its shit together and starts competing properly again, else its going to be the Century of China. I have very little hope that India will actually get close to China in its industrial capability. But, I sincerely hope that I am wrong in this.
Ambar wrote:I am not surprised such an article is published on Brietbart known for its far right politics, but I am shocked how much of racial, ethnic, cultural prejudice and stereotypes from the past century is still super-imposed on modern day issues. So your typical liberal arts loving, social justice demanding, gender confused pride parade marching American kid is not to blame for the decline in quality of US tech but it is your "regionalist, misogynist,castist" hindoo who is to blame !
Indians and Chinese are hardly to blame for the decline in US tech industry. What India and China did is to take advantage of the corporate greed and develop local ecosystems that are paying dividends now in R&D and high paying tech jobs at home and abroad. The west today has a cultural problem which will take much longer to course correct than structural problems like the ones we face in India (or China). While i have no doubt that a white American or Brit student is just as capable as his Indian or Chinese counterpart, they have lot more distractions in a system which increasingly chooses identity politics, victim mentality and social justice over studies.

I also don't get the part of "tribalism". If the input is dominated by one element then post-process the output will also be dominated by the same element (ex : JNU, DU and Jamia garbage in our bureaucracy) . If you have more american kids taking STEM, then by default companies will be dominated by those kids in future. But if asians make up the majority of stem graduates, then it is only natural that asians will also make up the bulk of the engineering staff in companies.
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

Ambar wrote:
Vayutuvan wrote:
What stops intel from entering smartphones and automotive sectors ? There's nearly 3 yrs worth of backlog for microchips in the auto industry, with intel's war chest they can scale up quite quickly.
Intel never bothered to master the low power technology required for adoption by smartphones etc. This market was captured by ARM, a small British chip designer who introduced a new concept; the fabless chip supplier. ARM licenced users to integrate their processor with other peripherals, some of which were also ARM designed, into a custom chip. The user then used a Fabrication company such as TSMC, Global Foundries or even Samsung to actually fabricate the chip. ARM charged the user a licence fee and then a small royalty per chip. This licenced approach was adopted by companies such as Apple,Nokia, Nvidia, Qualcomm and even Intel eventually.

ARM, which is based in Cambridge, was partly owned by Apple who first used their processor in the Newton , a sort of tablet without a camera. It flopped. Next they used it in the Ipad with some success; then Steve Jobs had the inspiration to launch a smartphone and the ARM royalties rocketed. Every phone manufacturer (or their suppliers) are effectively ARM licensees. Apple have since sold their holding in ARM, but have purchased a "Developer Licence" that allows them to develop the processor independently.

Intel could not catch up, their technology was power hungry and aimed at Desktops and Laptops. They never used their license to develop low power chips such as Qualcomm (Snapdragon) or Samsung who will supply phone manufacturers. ARM also have a design support package to support their users. There is an army of designers who have experience of designing ARM based chips, and writing ARM based software and once you establish that experience it is hard to convince an engineer to switch architectures. Also their companies have invested huge capital in development tools, Compilers etc which they are not going to bin just to please Intel.

Intel have also got a terrific development environment for their x86 processors and their successors, but
have have been stuck with their power hungry applications. Also Intel made a decision decades ago to abandon the RAM business and EPROM and other memory business when competition from Japanese, Korean and Taiwanese manufacturers made their margins wafer thin. The RAM business has been the driver to hone fine geometry in manufacturing and it is not surprising that Samsung now lead in this area as they have never abandoned any line of devices.
The next area where Intel will face competition is servers where power is also an issue.
S_Madhukar
BRFite

Post by S_Madhukar »

US only has to look at Stanford and Harvard for its own version of tribalism often softly spoken as networking. Even then unsurprisingly these will be targeted by woke brigade and so will our iit, iim and anything else for privilege.

On a different note recently saw a trailer of documentary on General Magic, the predecessor behind lots of mobile software and technology including the original Newton just before the iPhone took shape with Tony Fadell( he was an intern or youngest employee I think in Magic )
Oh man goes to show how far we have to develop. But with cheaper hardware in Asia hopefully we can also come up with good original products at our end. Plus I hope we have a generation of kids starting early in computer but so are other countries
csaurabh
BRFite

Post by csaurabh »

Regardless of whether the Breitbart report has any truth to it or not, the American public has essentially accepted mass outsourcing and H1B Visas in the tech sector based on the idea that they 'need world class talent' to be 'globally competitive'. Until now, this has mostly held true.

But if it turns out the US is really not 'globally competitive' against East asian giants with homogenous populations as in the case of what is happening with Intel (despite having 'global talent' while the East asians don't ), some hard questions will be asked as to whether this is really working or not, whether it is worth it to sacrifice ethno-cultural national identity for some global talent that turns out to not be globally competitive anyway. Indian Americans should have a serious think on this issue.
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

csaurabh wrote:Regardless of whether the Breitbart report has any truth to it or not, the American public has essentially accepted mass outsourcing and H1B Visas in the tech sector based on the idea that they 'need world class talent' to be 'globally competitive'. Until now, this has mostly held true.

But if it turns out the US is really not 'globally competitive' against East asian giants with homogenous populations as in the case of what is happening with Intel (despite having 'global talent' while the East asians don't ), some hard questions will be asked as to whether this is really working or not, whether it is worth it to sacrifice ethno-cultural national identity for some global talent that turns out to not be globally competitive anyway. Indian Americans should have a serious think on this issue.
A bit more nuance and complexity:

1) The top tier IQ & top tier motivated people will pick a field and a location where they are most likely to succeed and get higher returns - in this case, Computer Science and Silicon Valley. These people don't stay in Durgapur Steel Plant after studying Metallurgy

2) The top tier programmers - white, desi, chinese...are all vacuumed up by the FAANG companies paying extremely high salaries

3) The most motivated 10% of the top tier programmers - white & desi...will eventually consider launching startups etc.

Irrespective of ethno-cultural national identity based re-thinking etc...neither of these 2 baskets of people will be touched. These people drive US economic growth and technical hegemony. These channels will ALWAYS be kept open

--------------

4) The question lies as to what will be the future of the IT grunts. The dal-chawal programmer who has above average IQ and some degree of motivation. Most US corporations have accepted that the IT department will be a desi department led by desi managers (eventually desi CTOs) and with large amounts of desi programmers / data scientists / QA folks etc. either based in India or onshore in the US. This is not going to change because the bulk of the IT labor still has to be done by someone. If large numbers of US citizens start learning SQL, Python, Cloud etc. then sure it's possible to ramp down the Indian IT Spend, but unless there's a visibly large pipeline of US IT folks, nothing is going to change

--------------

5) So what about non IT centric companies that make real products like Intel, Ford, etc. Turns out these are largely white with significant penetration of desi, chinese engineers who have studied in the US and attained Masters/PhDs etc. These again are well above average talent that genuinely drive the day-to-day engineering excellence. Can they be replaced by smart US citizens with Bachelors degrees - SURE THING. Their job does not really require the Masters or the PhD. In fact 25 years ago in the semiconductor industry, people could just join up after high school, like a good friend of mine did

Frankly speaking, with a predominantly white upper management team that has a clear vision / strategy...all it takes to be "globally competitive" in these areas is a workforce of (i) largely detail oriented people + (ii) who can learn on the job quickly + (iii) willing to put in at least 8 hour workdays. Having done a US Masters/PhD gives many companies the assurance that these international students fit the bill. That's really the only reason why Intel hires all these material science international student PhDs...its because they've shown that they can diligently pursue a tech project for 5 years straight. These are the most vulnerable segments of H1Bs etc. if it really came down to it, because there's a lot of US citizens who can and want to do these genuine engineering jobs right out of engineering college Bachelors

--------------

Let's talk about Masters/PhDs:
6) To put it bluntly, a US college professor who conducts research funded by NSF/DARPA etc. is basically a small business owner who obtains funding from NSF/DARPA and delivers the project via cheap high IQ foreign labor i.e. "international students" that are grossly underpaid when compared to the overall impact of their work. A Masters/PhD is essentially a paid slave position for 2-5 years in return for a piece of paper and a potential career in the US. Unless someone's planning on going into academia, its not a good choice for a US citizen to make. But that's not true for international students...it's actually a pretty good deal for them. It's a great deal for the US economic and technical hegemony as a whole because smart young foreign students do basic research for a pittance. Hence the model works and thrives. Needless to say, no one has any incentive to tinker with it. Hence no one will turn off the H1-B tap for these folks either

--------------
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Aldonkar wrote:... Also their companies have invested huge capital in development tools, Compilers etc which they are not going to bin just to please Intel.
Aldonkar ji, I agree with most of what you have written but on the compiler part, I will have to disagree.

Intel has the best compiler tools for C/C++ ecosystem. They generate extremely optimized code. The latest move to LLVM toolchain still uses Kuck and Associates Inc. (KAI - which was bought by Intel 15+ years back) backend. In the latest versions of Intel compiler suite, they have included clang which is what most of the GPGPU mfrs. and Apple use.

Compilers are the least of Intel's problems. It is mainly, as you rightly pointed out, power and memory/Processor bandwidth.

Right now it is all about power consumption all the way from the CMOS memory cells, basic CMOS flip flops to packaging and beyond.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

titash wrote: ... 6) To put it bluntly, a US college professor who conducts research funded by NSF/DARPA etc. is basically a small business owner who obtains funding from NSF/DARPA and delivers the project via cheap high IQ foreign labor i.e. "international students" that are grossly underpaid ...
Two points
1. NSF/DARPA/NIH funding is never predicated on delivering any project. They are "free" funds in the sense that it is blue sky research. The end result is a few papers and one or two PhDs/2-3 masters.

2. "International students" are not the only ones who are grossly underpaid. All grad students are underpaid. But then that is where the fun is. They actually have fun doing the research.

3. In India, Masters/PhD students do not have many responsibilities. Here one is either doing peer reviews of papers, writing proposals, and/or doing TA work - manning the labs, conducting reading/discussion classes, setting homework/exams, correcting homework/maintaining office hours, proctoring the exams etc.

India kind of privilege is given to only grad students who are on fellowships. There are very few, I mean a vanishingly small number of these fellowships. For example, in one large uni well known for its engineering, there were only two fellowships for the entire engineering college.
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

Vayutuvan wrote:
Aldonkar wrote:... Also their companies have invested huge capital in development tools, Compilers etc which they are not going to bin just to please Intel.
Aldonkar ji, I agree with most of what you have written but on the compiler part, I will have to disagree.

Intel has the best compiler tools for C/C++ ecosystem. They generate extremely optimized code. The latest move to LLVM toolchain still uses Kuck and Associates Inc. (KAI - which was bought by Intel 15+ years back) backend. In the latest versions of Intel compiler suite, they have included clang which is what most of the GPGPU mfrs. and Apple use.

Compilers are the least of Intel's problems. It is mainly, as you rightly pointed out, power and memory/Processor bandwidth.

Right now it is all about power consumption all the way from the CMOS memory cells, basic CMOS flip flops to packaging and beyond.
Vayutuvan sahib, I accept your statements regarding Intel's compiler skills. My area of expertise was hardware and the closest I came to writing software was using programmable assembler languages such as PALASM, Abel and Cuple to program programmable logic. Thus my knowledge in this area is very dated.

I should mention that I am in my seventies and have not designed hardware for decades. By the way, I used the term "sahib" as it was used in East Africa of my youth, as I have never lived in India. I have lived the rest of my life in the UK though I have frequently travelled to California (San Jose and LA) and Texas (Richardson) on work related issues.

Some old personal experience. In the 1980's I was working for a small (less than 100 employees) British company. We were using the Texas Instruments 9900 processor as an embedded controller in a data communications application and our product was doing extremely well. Then TI dropped a bombshell, they were going to drop their 9900 family in favour of their 5500 Arithmetic Processor Unit . Apparently the 9900 could not compete with the Intel, Zilog and Motorola offerings. Yours truly was tasked with finding a replacement. I spoke to all the Development team Leaders to form a list of essential requirements. From the software teams, I realised that fast context switching and the ability support for C (later C++) was key.

I phoned the major processor suppliers; Zilog were very small in the UK, and had limited knowledge of their new Z8000 processor. Motorola sent a very knowledgable team of three people who told us a lot about their upcoming 68000 processor. Intel flatly refused to see us and referred us to their UK distributor who did not know much about the upcoming 8086 except that it would offer a easy migration for 8080 applications. I selected the Motorola 68000.

Two years later we had become the second largest user of Moto 68000 processors in Europe after Apple (who had a factory in Dublin making Macintosh SEs). I received a call from Intel UK . They wanted to persuade us to use their 8086 etc in our designs! I did mention that they refused to see me two years previously and since then I had spent millions on ICE (In Circuit Emulators) and compilers for the 68000. Would they compensate us? I never heard from them again.

It is interesting to note that most of the processor companies mentioned have faded away except for Intel.
Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

csaurabh wrote: Indian Americans should have a serious think on this issue.
Why oh why that anytime any rag that puts out anything against us, we are lectured to look at the topic from their POV? Breitbart and their ilk have nothing to teach us. Some amongst us might be tempted to look at this rag of a publication as some sort of alternative source of truth but it's just a polished Nazi rag which would genuinely shit on Indians given any chance they get out of pure hatred for the religion, culture, and the color of the skin.
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

Vayutuvan wrote: 1. NSF/DARPA/NIH funding is never predicated on delivering any project. They are "free" funds in the sense that it is blue sky research. The end result is a few papers and one or two PhDs/2-3 masters.
Sirjee - the point being all Profs have to "invest" in writing proposals, detailing how exactly they propose to carry out said research (btw...while a significant fraction is blue sky research, the major chunk may be safely classified as evolutionary not revolutionary). Some proposals pass and the majority fail. Status on ongoing work has to be reported back at specified intervals and publishing good quality papers is mandatory - the equivalent of a recurring report card - as a prerequisite to getting tenure and continued credibility. Needless to say continued credibility = continued funding pipeline and continued labor flow. It's not a cakewalk at the Assistant Prof level for sure. Post tenure different story...PSU & babugiri mentality can set in, at least in state funded univs.
Vayutuvan wrote: 2. "International students" are not the only ones who are grossly underpaid. All grad students are underpaid. But then that is where the fun is. They actually have fun doing the research.
"fun" is a very loaded term. Depending on passion, motivation, and workload...some people can have fun, for some it's a chore, for others it's torture. Quality of life is largely dependent on mindset & attitude of abovementioned small business owner.
Vayutuvan wrote: 3. In India, Masters/PhD students do not have many responsibilities. Here one is either doing peer reviews of papers, writing proposals, and/or doing TA work - manning the labs, conducting reading/discussion classes, setting homework/exams, correcting homework/maintaining office hours, proctoring the exams etc.

India kind of privilege is given to only grad students who are on fellowships. There are very few, I mean a vanishingly small number of these fellowships. For example, in one large uni well known for its engineering, there were only two fellowships for the entire engineering college.
No opinion/comments.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

India IT majors increase global exports in 2021-22.

Notwithstanding the increase in hiring in the US and Europe by Indian IT companies, the share of the off-site mode of exports of software services continued to increase and stood at 88.8 per cent in 2021-22 as compared with 82.8 per cent five years ago, according to RBI’s latest survey on IT exports.

India’s exports of software services (excluding exports through commercial presence) are estimated to have increased by 17.2 per cent to $156.7 billion during 2021-22.

Top destinations
The report noted that the US and Canada continue to be the top destinations for software exports with 55.5 per cent share, followed by Europe, of which, nearly half was attributed to the UK. In FY22, India exported $86.9 billion and $48.6 billion in IT services to the US and Europe, respectively. Exports have only increased to the three geographies in 2021-22.

The report comes against the backdrop of US and European enterprises tightening their IT budgets. Indian IT majors are already reporting and responding to these trends, slashing variable pay for their employees and hiring at a moderated pace.

Computer services continued to account for over two-thirds of total software services exports, and business process outsourcing services accounted for nearly 84 per cent of exports of IT-enabled services. The US dollar remained the principal invoicing currency for software exports, followed by the euro and pound sterling.

For the 2021-22 round of the survey, as many as 6,218 software export companies were contacted, of which 2,074 companies, including most of the large companies, responded. The responding companies accounted for 89.4 per cent of the total software services exports during the year.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Rudra I’ Set to Power Supercomputers: Centre to Offer Its Server Tech to Industry, World.

The government has decided to offer to the industry and the world the technology of its indigenous ‘Rudra I’ server, which is one of the sub-assemblies required for a supercomputer. This major move is aimed at achieving the “true market potential” of Rudra I.

The Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), has designed and developed Rudra I server towards its efforts to make a supercomputer.

C-DAC recently entered into an agreement with a company to manufacture 7,000 Rudra I servers under the National Supercomputing Mission (NSM) for various institutions of higher learning and premier research institutions funded by the Government of India.

The government now wants to transfer the Rudra I Server technology (ToT) through a licence to companies that can assemble and manufacture and sell it in the market, including the global market, at competitive prices, as per a document reviewed by News18. “The market for servers, beyond NSM projects, is very large,” the document says. It says this will help “achieve the true market potential of Rudra I server’s matured technology” and expand it beyond NSM projects.

WHY THE INDUSTRY WOULD WANT RUDRA I?
The document says that a completely indigenous server like Rudra I, which is designed, developed and manufactured with security trustworthiness, will have an “exceptionally greater acceptance and have an edge in security conscious environments and businesses”. It says with the government’s aggressive push towards complete digitisation of transactions and services, the demand for data centres and hyper-converged infrastructures will grow exponentially. C-DAC is also promising a robust business continuity plan for Rudra series servers.

The plan is to implement Transfer of technology of Rudra I Server with a focus on making it available to Indian industries, users and society at large in the shape of finished product at competitively priced commercial products. The priority is to ensure that no IPR violation is caused by any party and commercial interests of all stakeholders are adequately addressed, the document says. The government’s Performance Linked Incentive scheme will further help proliferate the Rudra I technology in the Indian manufacturing ecosystem, with policy preference to the Make-in-India servers in public procurement.

The government is citing a commissioned survey which cites high growth and says the Indian market for server reached a value of US$ 1,195 million in 2021, while the India white box server accounted for a share of 19.2% of the overall server market in India, reaching a value of US$ 229.5 million. The focus, hence, is also on white box Rudra servers, which are already attracting significant investments.

THE NATIONAL SUPERCOMPUTING MISSION
C-DAC has been leading India’s efforts in developing and deploying various generations of PARAM series of supercomputers in India and abroad, with the goal of attaining self-reliance in supercomputing. An indigenous build approach is being used in the design and manufacture of nearly all sub-assemblies that go into the making of these supercomputers, including the computer server Rudra I. A system based on Rudra is working and operational at C-DAC and displayed as Technology Demonstrator.

The government believes that many sectors, including high-performance computing systems, hyperscale data centres, edge computing, banking and commerce, manufacturing, oil and gas industry and healthcare, can benefit from the Rudra I server.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

The latest IT news seems to be on the topic of moon lighting and IT Majors expressing their angst on the same.
Wipro Fires 300 Employees For Moonlighting: Here's How Companies Catch Such Acts
TCS ends Work From Home and tells employees 3-day office is must, senior staff to work 5-day week

I feel that there are faults from both parties, employees (who misused the WFH option) as well as employers (who wanted to get work done during COVID, but back in their minds always wanted employees to be in office).
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

When will this govt focus on Digital Atmanirbhar? We need our own data centers, OS for various platforms, network and cyber security s/w, app stores, office productivity apps.
As important as shiny planes we discuss so much.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Glass can be x% full of (100-x)% empty depending on perspective, but in my humble opinion, in many areas, like Cyber Security, Network (5G, eg) India, at present is leading the world.

The article by Shashi Shekhar Vempati gives excellent and very comprehensive account of #5G innovation in India.

A must read (for anyone seriously interested, IMO).

5G launch and Draft Telecom Bill: An inflexion point in communications innovation
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Cyrano wrote:When will this govt focus on Digital Atmanirbhar? We need our own data centers, OS for various platforms, network and cyber security s/w, app stores, office productivity apps.
As important as shiny planes we discuss so much.
Yes, good points. The recent Ukr-Rus tussle shows how vulnerable nations are to commerce and the IT backbone. The Internet trunk route is tapped by NSC of US and they have access to all data flow worldwide. FINRA in the US has all transactions that are dollar based. The finance stack is controlled by Western interest. AWS/Google/MickeySoft are trying to corner the Infra hosting business. Google android is controlled by the evilest company headed by Thambi Pitchai. The other evils are of course Social media by twitter/facebook/etc.

In India we are trying to get finance stack by UPI, ONDC and others. Swift is international payment play and needs to be supplanted with alternates . OS - we need India OS based on Unix, we can call it Inix or something. Open ARM processor was worked upon by IIT-M folks (director of IIT-M headed the team). The entire Mickeysoft PC/tablet/iphone+android phones is major noose hanging over nations that want to be independent. Hardware and software needs to have alternates. India can work on a platform that understands multi systems (similar to Java runtime p-code interpreter) and thus leverage the existing software bank of apps.

If you think about it, India can take a lead and show the rest of the world an alternate to the above.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Datacenters are the next big thing. And we're going to ramp up there in a big way. It needs to have indigenous components software& hardware but we don't have anything in the anvil. Same with phones& backbone for 5g.
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Datacenters need deep pockets and need to be located physically in the markets they serve. Datacenters by themselves are no longer profitable unless you have a software stack running on them. This space is fiercely competitive. China is willing to throw tons of money to prop up their cloud service providers but nobody outside China is biting.

India has huge expertise in software and process consultants who are experts in the Cloud; the IT biggies are already knee deep in that area.

India is also uniquely advantaged in understanding the challenges of setting up datacenters - power backups, cooling, network redundancies and the like because these can't be taken for granted in India. If one of the IITs can build expertise in Green & Reliable Datacenters it can become a geopolitical/geoenvironmental thing of its own. Today's datacenters are power hogs; despite being engineered efficiently, customer demands are huge.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Very insightful speech by PM in India Mobile Congress. With insight in possibilities that could be offered by #5G and paradigm shift in technology, Modi Ji urged the industry association and others to educate people about these possibilities of 5G. He very rightly emphasised that 5G would be just more than faster download & users need to be educated about that.India has played a decisive role in influencing 5G standard.
Video link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIX26ltxfSU
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

If you work for facebook/metaverse, excuse this video. This is a take on the current state of value for facebook, and its reach into metaverse. Apple/Google cut of its data stream on user behaviors and so its Ad revenue is dwindling. The heavy investment into meta stuff is questionable.

S_Madhukar
BRFite

Post by S_Madhukar »

Facebook had lost it when they blasted their feed with ads to the extent you couldn’t figure your posts from an ad. Additionally most of these digital marketing and ad agencies are crap at segmentation, Google ads cracked that a long time ago with a proper data driven approach. and will continue to lead in the first and second party data space. YouTube has better recommendations although I don’t see ads there because I have a paid subscription.
FB board is full of WEF types I think with their own agenda but all the creative agencies will feast on Meta money and milk them dry with not much to show for.
You know things are dire at Meta when they recently hired a friend of mine from Mumbai for their London office with all paid accommodation etc for a SE position as he was a tech VP at a bank but not really an above average guy. Then again a VP of marketing at a large consumer electronics company was hired as a Director and she is not that great either.
Completely agree with that video, I would be in no hurry to buy this cheap Meta stock they have a lot to answer to their shareholders
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

AIIMS computers, information tech systems not upgraded for 30 yrs.

The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) has not upgraded its computer and IT system for the last 30 years, officials said, days after the country’s premier medical teaching hospital came under a ransomware attack.

Medical records of millions of patients, including VVIPs, were compromised during the 10-day-long attack.

Out-of-date, old equipment and software, and antiquated versions of the Windows operating system were in use to manage medical records up until the attack. The need to upgrade the IT system was raised multiple times with top authorities, but nothing was done about it, the officials cited above said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

“There was no upgradation computer and IT facility in the institute for atleast last 30-40 years. Out-dated and old equipment without the latest version of Windows were in use. We flagged concerns on this issue many a times to the top administration but no improvement was done. Till date, the computer and IT division was headed by a doctor who does not have any know-how of IT related work.... so there are multiple flaws," said a senior official at AIIMS.

On 23 November, AIIMS said it was hit by a ransomware attack damaging all its servers. Sunday marked the 12th day of the servers being down and the hospital working manually.

The hospital administration is now planning to frame a cybersecurity policy for the safety of hospital and patient data.

“Under this new cyber security framework, AIIMS is planning to depute a cybersecurity officer and senior IT professionals for IT-related work. A sperate network will be created for e-hospital and e-office-related work, while another will be set up for doctors for emails and other official work. Besides this, all department faculties, HODs, scientists have been directed to ensure security audits of the software they are using from CERT-IN certified auditing agencies so as to prevent malware spread from their software in the servers and connected endpoints," said another official at AIIMS aware of these developments.

The hospital’s computer and IT facility has called a meeting of IT vendors to provide such solutions before 31 December and block access to AIIMS network and central servers from any other non-security audit applications.

All faculty and doctors have been directed that no routers, hub etc should be connected to the AIIMS network port by any user.

Last week, the institute in a statement claimed that it has restored e-office but due to the large volume of data involved, hospital operations are being done manually.

Queries sent to AIIMS and health a ministry spokesperson did not elicit a response.

The central government has deputed experts of the National Investigation Agency, Defence Research and Development Organisation, India Computer Emergency Response Team, Delhi Police, Intelligence Bureau, Central Bureau of Investigation and ministry of home affairs to help AIIMS resolve the crisis
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Folks interested in AI: follow the news on OpenAI's ChatGPT. Twitter handles cover it best. Absolutely phenomenal (or scary) stuff, depending on how one views it.

It can print out the entire code for apps in any language you want, if you give it the instructions in English. You can then copy-paste it on Replit to see what your app looks like

It will not be a hyperbole to say that this will change the world

Regarding IT jobs: either it will make developers 10X more productive or kill many of their jobs
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Prem Kumar wrote:Regarding IT jobs: either it will make developers 10X more productive or kill many of their jobs
Prem Kumar ji, I did play with chatGPT for a few hours this morning. It is quite interesting. Some of the stuff is somewhat shallow though. As for your above statement, with or without chatGPT, developers will be 10x more productive and kill many of their own jobs. There are tools out there that make development, especially web interfaces, quite easy.

TFWIW.
Srutayus
BRFite

Post by Srutayus »

Wrote a brief article reflecting on the implications of General purpose AI tools. The implications are profound and will impact us all. https://www.linkedin.com/posts/ananth-p ... member_ios
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Well, chatGPT is able to draw up legal documents and case arguments as well. Doesn't bode well for the already backlogged courts in India I'm afraid.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

IITKanpurvincubated startup aipl14 has developed "i-Ghat." in which a state-of-the-art floating charging station allows the battery-powered electric boats to use captured #solarenergy through the RCC-based floating solar grid.

Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

isubodh
BRFite

Post by isubodh »

Cyrano wrote:Something I've been wishing for:

https://swarajyamag.com/tech/bharos-iit ... ing-system
I am not able to find the home page of BharOS, all is in the news articles only.
Does anyone has link ?
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Looks like Android fork. Can we create an ecosystem?
SaraLax
BRFite

Post by SaraLax »

vijayk wrote:

Looks like Android fork. Can we create an ecosystem?
Amazon's FIRE OS used in their Fire TV Stick, Fire Tablets and few other Amazon devices - is based on AOSP. I believe their Kindle device does not use the AOSP software platform.

An after thought - Maybe the Indian government can invite ZOHO to port their apps for E-mail, Documents (Word, Sheets, PPTs), Meeting apps to the BHAROS platform.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

vera_k wrote:Well, chatGPT is able to draw up legal documents and case arguments as well. Doesn't bode well for the already backlogged courts in India I'm afraid.
It would still need some smart human brain to put in the right legal points and case laws to make these documents more relevant. The jobs of advocate clerks and people who make these applications may become redundant. Also, it is only in High Courts and Supreme Courts that the documents (and arguments) are in English.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

BIG boost on digital infra with IndianBudget 23-24!
With the introduction of a number of initiatives including -a National Data Governance Policy, entity DigiLocker for MSMEs & Data Embassies, we are progressing toward a more connected and secure digital landscape!

Setting up 100 labs to develop 5G applications across key sectors like smart classrooms, precision farming, intelligent transportation & healthcare - will bring the benefits of the 5G network to an all -pervasive, digitally connected
The budget has also committed to setting up three centers of Excellence in AI in top educational institutes.
Very impressive.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

From Google: Next-gen language + conversation capabilities powered by Language Model for Dialogue Applications (LaMDA). Coming soon: Bard, a new experimental conversational service powered by LaMDA...
https://blog.google/technology/ai/bard- ... h-updates/
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Tata Consultancy Services—

For the first time, we've been named by @FortuneMagazine as one of the World's #MostAdmiredCos.

We celebrate this recognition with our #TCSers, clients, and partners, who drive and inspire this success. Congratulations to all.

@TCS
Link:https://twitter.com/USAmbKeshap/status/ ... HPH9Da4t6A
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

India showcases its IT hub to SCO national coordinators. TCS campus in Bangalore. (Pakistan delegation gave it a miss)
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Digitalization, Climate and Debt: The Agenda for Multilateral Development Banks

Keynote Address by Nandan Nilekani

Another Q&A with Nandan Nilekani - digi Yatra, Covid vaccination certificate, etc.