NRI Investment in India and R2I Financial Concerns

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie
Posts: 16148
Joined: 11 Apr 2007 09:22

Re: NRI Investment in India and R2I Financial Concerns

Postby SwamyG » 09 Aug 2011 03:07

Yeah, if the match is good. Even after the 10% default plus deferred taxes, it is free money. No denying that.

Muppalla
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7096
Joined: 12 Jun 1999 11:31

Re: NRI Investment in India and R2I Financial Concerns

Postby Muppalla » 09 Aug 2011 07:50

I used to be like that. However, my previous company pays all the bonus as 401K. I got like 12% per annum for six years even if do not add even a penny. I haven't lost in the bloodbaths because I moved them to stable and gauranteed funds during the rakthpaath.

sampat
BRFite
Posts: 480
Joined: 10 Feb 2008 23:54

Re: NRI Investment in India and R2I Financial Concerns

Postby sampat » 22 Feb 2012 14:28

sampat wrote:Is there a way to transfer around 10-20 lakh Rupees to Europe? Does anyone know the expense and process involved? This is personal money received as a gift in India.


For others in similar situation.
converting my saving to NRI/NRO account was too much hassle. So we simply did the outward remittance (wire transfer) from our saving account. It was quite cheap and fast process. Cost was around 50 Euros and money was received in 2 days.

Vipul
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3727
Joined: 15 Jan 2005 03:30

Re: NRI Investment in India and R2I Financial Concerns

Postby Vipul » 22 Feb 2012 20:56

With the proposed move by GOI to impose Wealth Tax of 1% every year on all assets (inlcuding bank deposits) in overseas countries, all Green Card holders who were holding on to their Indian pasports for senti(mental) reasons will have an increased cost to do so.The GOI is desperate and wants more resources to indulge in vote buying and wasteful schemes in the future.

Neshant
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4850
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: NRI Investment in India and R2I Financial Concerns

Postby Neshant » 23 Feb 2012 02:58

SwamyG wrote:Yeah, if the match is good. Even after the 10% default plus deferred taxes,


the question is what are the taxes going to be when it comes time to withdraw.

also what will be clawed back iin pensions if they see you have saved money in a 401K. The govt then might well decide you have enough to take care of yourself and someone who blew all their money on vacations, a nice home, joy riding is more deserving of a govt pension.

the whole idea of getting you to put money in plain sight of government is suspicious to me. Certainly the financial & banking class are lobbying for it because they can get a cut of the fees to "manage" your wealth.


Tanaji
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3363
Joined: 21 Jun 2000 11:31

Re: NRI Investment in India and R2I Financial Concerns

Postby Tanaji » 25 Feb 2012 23:33

Vipul wrote:With the proposed move by GOI to impose Wealth Tax of 1% every year on all assets (inlcuding bank deposits) in overseas countries, all Green Card holders who were holding on to their Indian pasports for senti(mental) reasons will have an increased cost to do so.The GOI is desperate and wants more resources to indulge in vote buying and wasteful schemes in the future.


I am confused, how is this tax going to work? Doesnt India have dual taxation treaties with the likes of UK, US, EU etc? So if income on such deposits is already taxed, how can GoI tax it again? Moreover, how is income earned abroad taxable in India?

I think UK/US does it similarly just trying to understand the rationale behind it...

brihaspati
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12410
Joined: 19 Nov 2008 03:25

Re: NRI Investment in India and R2I Financial Concerns

Postby brihaspati » 02 Mar 2012 08:46

Tanaji wrote:
Vipul wrote:With the proposed move by GOI to impose Wealth Tax of 1% every year on all assets (inlcuding bank deposits) in overseas countries, all Green Card holders who were holding on to their Indian pasports for senti(mental) reasons will have an increased cost to do so.The GOI is desperate and wants more resources to indulge in vote buying and wasteful schemes in the future.


I am confused, how is this tax going to work? Doesnt India have dual taxation treaties with the likes of UK, US, EU etc? So if income on such deposits is already taxed, how can GoI tax it again? Moreover, how is income earned abroad taxable in India?

I think UK/US does it similarly just trying to understand the rationale behind it...


Maybe anything that can be termed asset once you return - and no longer paying tax in the country of income. Dual taxation is not possible on the same asset.

Neshant
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4850
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: NRI Investment in India and R2I Financial Concerns

Postby Neshant » 02 Mar 2012 12:10

The only thing this silly tax is going to do is drive away NRI wealth & investments from India.

Bade
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7212
Joined: 23 May 2002 11:31
Location: badenberg in US administered part of America

Re: NRI Investment in India and R2I Financial Concerns

Postby Bade » 02 Mar 2012 21:34

Maybe, the time is arriving when India will not have to care about NRI investments in the larger picture of things, and hence this proposal. Of course it will rub the NRIs the wrong way, but such is life. When of little use, to be abandoned at will.


Return to “Technology & Economic Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests