Indian Roads Thread

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Roads Thread

Post by Aditya_V »

Nice words on Team-bhp.
Mark my words, Japanese would just see their money and their technology just vanish in front of their eyes. All this is nothing but empty talk. This is just like the "We will make Bangalore another Singapore" claim made by a few politicians way back in the year 2000 (17 years before).
Nice Sachin SIr
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Behind a paywall
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Deals/ ... sea-bridge

December 27, 2017 3:03 am JST
Japan's IHI to help build Mumbai sea bridge

Tokyo's infrastructure exports swing from energy to transportation

Japanese engineering group IHI completed the bridge across Turkey's Izmit Bay last year.

TOKYO -- Japanese civil engineering group IHI has won a contract to build part of what will be India's longest sea bridge, linking central Mumbai to new urban developments and helping reduce congestion.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

https://www.worldfinance.com/featured/i ... astructure
Analysis of PM Modi's government's road-building plans.
Avik
BRFite

Post by Avik »

^^^^^^^

not much analysis here...all that the author has done is take the opinion of one person and conveyed that as analysis!!
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Dipanker wrote:Check out the GOI's Ministry of Road Transport and Highways website, two of the 4 cycling banner images are of Canadian and American Roads! This is not the first time. Another time the website had posted image of roads from Spain and claimed them to be Indian!
Who gives a crap? They can even put sunny or mia there driving a mustang or whatever...

look at the amount of kms added. that's the only thing that matters.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^we should not be complacent on just kms / day stats. we need more data on quality of these roads
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Gus wrote:
Dipanker wrote:Check out the GOI's Ministry of Road Transport and Highways website, two of the 4 cycling banner images are of Canadian and American Roads! This is not the first time. Another time the website had posted image of roads from Spain and claimed them to be Indian!
Who gives a crap? They can even put sunny or mia there driving a mustang or whatever...

look at the amount of kms added. that's the only thing that matters.
They can put Sandra Bullock driving a bullock cart for all I care, but as long as the image is on Indian Road Ministry home page, the road better be Indian! If you don't see problem with that then you have different standards. Beside image of non-Indian roads on a Indian ministry website could be misleading too.

I would also prefer that they kept their websites more up to date. Here the last post on the previous page claiming a total of 170,000KM of National Highway built, 56,000 KM in a short period of 8 - 9 months of 2017! (which sounds incredulous given that in the previous 3 years only ~6000, ~4000, and ~14000 KM national highway was built)
National Highways have increased from 96,000km to 170,000km in 3 years: Nitin Gadkari
http://www.autocarpro.in/news-national/ ... kari-26895
Yet if you check out the NHAI website, it only lists only a total of 100087.08 KM of national highways.
http://www.nhai.org/statewise1.asp
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

SaiK wrote:^we should not be complacent on just kms / day stats. we need more data on quality of these roads
Absolutely. Quality over quality.

For instance, following the rains in Oct, they laid some new roads in mysore. 2 months in and its falling apart. Granted it isn't a NH but still!
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

I am waiting for the day when the GPS will show 100 kmph as average speed on National Highways. Mumbai-Bang is less than 1000km distance but time taken is more than 15 hours. The day it says 10 hours, we can consider India to have highway system comparable to the west.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

SaiK wrote:^we should not be complacent on just kms / day stats. we need more data on quality of these roads
Agreed. But some have this fixation on finding something minor/irrelevant and exaggerating it to outrage.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

JohnTitor wrote:For instance, following the rains in Oct, they laid some new roads in mysore. 2 months in and its falling apart. Granted it isn't a NH but still!
Are you talking about Sydney, Australia or San Francisco, California or Boston, Massachusetts? Or US in general? https://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/12/crumbli ... ml#slide=1
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Disha, if someone else is doing things poorly, does it excuse my poor grade? Can I go back to my parents and say it is ok I am failing because the neighbour's child failed as well?

No that is not correct. We have limited resources and they should be used better. Don't we have performance warranties?
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Isn't there a established quality standard for newly constructed National Highways? There has been ever since the GQ, NSEW were the first modern highways that were being implemented in India during the Vajpayee era.

Gadkari talked about modern technology and a life of 50 years or even 100 years.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

First of all. We don't know which road is being talked about. Hope it's not a road under state govt AND created by the Congress govt. If there is a quality issue with national highways, it's better tweet to the minister directly with photograph and i'm sure he will take action to correct it. What's good with this govt is that, ministers in this govt are very proactive. It's a change brought in by Modi's style of governance.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

130 Km Of Roads Constructed Daily Under Government Scheme: Nitin Gadkari

"The pace of construction under PMGSY has also been speeded up in the last three years and the average construction reached the level of 130 km per day during 201617, which is highest in the last 7 years," Nitin Gadkari said during Question Hour.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

HYDERABAD: India's youngest state Telangana has become the first state government to take up asset monetisation through toll-operate-transfer (TOT) initiative and has appointed transaction advisors for Hyderabad Outer Ring Road.

The TOT model, an asset recycling model which enables completed road projects to be monetised, is now being initiated at the state level in India.

Read more at:
//economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/62427853.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst
ssundar
BRFite

Post by ssundar »

uddu wrote:130 Km Of Roads Constructed Daily Under Government Scheme: Nitin Gadkari

"The pace of construction under PMGSY has also been speeded up in the last three years and the average construction reached the level of 130 km per day during 201617, which is highest in the last 7 years," Nitin Gadkari said during Question Hour.
Wish we would see some sort of dashboard or app that shows the actual roads being constructed/renewed.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Infra Sector Gets Top Priority In Budget
In the Road sector, the recently approved Bharatmala Pariyojana aims to develop about 35,000 km of highways at a cost of Rs. 5,35,000 crore in Phase I. The National Highways Authority of India (NHI) will consider organizing its road assets into Special Purpose Vehicles and use innovative monetizing structures like Toll, Operate and Transfer (TOT) and Infrastructure Investment Funds (InvITs) for raising funds. In order to enhance connectivity in border areas, the Finance Minister announced that the Government will take up construction of tunnel under Sela Pass. He also announced that for promoting tourism and emergency medical care, the Government will make the necessary frame work for encouraging investment in sea plane activities.

Rajeev Singh, Automotive Sector Leader in Deloitte, “Increased allocation for infrastructure projects such as National highways (target completion in FY17-18 is -9000 KMs) and Bharat Mala project (target completion of 35,000 KM in Phase 1 at cost of Rs 5.35 lakh crore)for seamless connectivity in the union budget should give much needed push to the sector especially M&HCVs (Medium and Heavy Commercial vehicles). Other transformational initiatives include focus on building 3.71 lakh rural roads.”
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.newindianexpress.com/busines ... 84536.html
Solapur – Yedeshi Tollway Pvt. Ltd. (SYTPL), the Special Purpose Vehicle of India’s leading and largest highway infrastructure developer, IRB Infrastructure Developers Ltd., has commissioned its four laning highway project Solapur – Yedeshi, in the State of Maharashtra, on March 7, 2018; thus, throwing open all four lanes for vehicular traffic.
I suppose "will have" below should read as "has", if all four lanes have been thrown open for traffic.
Key features of the project:
* 6th completed project and 10th project to start Tolling in IRB Infra’s BOT Portfolio
* Total project length 98.72 Kms section on NH 211. The stretch connects the prime places in the State including Tulajapur and Osmanabad.
* NHAI awarded this project under DBFOT pattern to IRB Infra for converting existing 2 lanes into 4 lanes, at a Project cost of Rs.1492 Crores, with a grant of Rs 189 Crores
* The project will have service road of 33.6 kms; 11 pedestrian underpasses; 7 flyovers; 2 major bridges; 25 small bridges; 66 intersections; 134 culverts; and one railway over bridge along with 2 Toll Plazas
* The Concession period for project is 29 years
* Tolling commenced w.e.f. March 7, 2018 midnight
* COD achieved in line with provisional certification issued by the Competent Authority
Mahindra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mahindra »

I have stopped driving while on trips to India in recent years. Local drivers, whether they are employee-drivers or relatives all don't seem to know how to drive on multi-lane roads. Drivers seem to think that a wide, multi-lane road just means they can drive anywhere on it, with most driving in the middle, right on the line. Needless to say this drives me nuts. The idea that one must drive in a single lane, signal to change lanes, and that slower traffic must drive in the left lane hasn't occurred to any of them.

With the large increase in wide, multi-lane roads, this is an important road safety issue. I have seen the same problem in most places in India (having said that perhaps there are areas where drivers are better than in other areas).

The other big problem I see is people driving the wrong way. These are usually are guys on a motor cycle who are too lazy to go to the next exit or intersection and do the right thing. This type of behavior needs to be stamped out.

To combat these problems, I was wondering why the highway authorities don't make use of short driving educational videos on TV, as public service announcements. Proper driving training will improve road safety and save lives. If there are such educational videos, I haven't seen them.
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

Mahindra wrote:I have stopped driving while on trips to India in recent years. Local drivers, whether they are employee-drivers or relatives all don't seem to know how to drive on multi-lane roads. Drivers seem to think that a wide, multi-lane road just means they can drive anywhere on it, with most driving in the middle, right on the line. Needless to say this drives me nuts. The idea that one must drive in a single lane, signal to change lanes, and that slower traffic must drive in the left lane hasn't occurred to any of them.

With the large increase in wide, multi-lane roads, this is an important road safety issue. I have seen the same problem in most places in India (having said that perhaps there are areas where drivers are better than in other areas).

The other big problem I see is people driving the wrong way. These are usually are guys on a motor cycle who are too lazy to go to the next exit or intersection and do the right thing. This type of behavior needs to be stamped out.

To combat these problems, I was wondering why the highway authorities don't make use of short driving educational videos on TV, as public service announcements. Proper driving training will improve road safety and save lives. If there are such educational videos, I haven't seen them.
Actually, traffic education should start in schools itself along with other basics that we lack - respecting personal space, standing in a line :rotfl: and driving etiquette. Including real life situations - a traffic signal has stopped working on an intersection, now how should the drivers self manage the traffic, so some basic processes need to be drilled into people. Above all, patience is the key.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Mahindra wrote:I have stopped driving while on trips to India in recent years. Local drivers, whether they are employee-drivers or relatives all don't seem to know how to drive on multi-lane roads. Drivers seem to think that a wide, multi-lane road just means they can drive anywhere on it, with most driving in the middle, right on the line. Needless to say this drives me nuts. The idea that one must drive in a single lane, signal to change lanes, and that slower traffic must drive in the left lane hasn't occurred to any of them.

There are so many accident videos on youtube. Everyone should be shows a selection of those videos (with some gory details thrown in) along with driving test while taking license or buying a new Car compulsorily. People will try to bypass but it should be made compulsory somehow. Link it with AADHAR if need be. :wink:
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Jay, nothing like witnessing an accident & the effects of it to drill in the message. Yesterday, a couple of kids at work witnessed an accident involving one bike being ridden on the wrong side of the road with 3 people on it and none of them wearing crash helmets and the other one with a couple driving on the correct side with helmets on. Luckily, the couple sustained minor injuries while the same could not be said for the offending parties. Apparently, one of them sustained bad head injury. The kids were like "we are never getting on a two wheeler without crash helmets on"...I will admit that the message gradually fades away with time and sense of "I will be Okay" starts to creep in. But honestly at least crack down on driving on the wrong side should be done...now a days, sometimes I see even cars drive on the wrong side of the road if the road has K-rails (concrete barriers) at the centre. I feel disgusted but I have learnt not to open my mouth but I have experienced folks on the wrong side use expletives & language (many a times in front of their families...what a role model that individual is serving to his children) which I cannot or don't want to match with.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

^^^
there are lot of contracts that are being warded. details are in PIb web site. need time to follow all..

------------

Ministry of Road Transport & Highways28-March, 2018 17:24 IST
NHAI collaborates with AAI

under Adopt-a-Green-Highway Programme

National Highways Authority of India, NHAI has collaborated with Airports Authority of India, AAI for developing green corridor along Varanasi Bypass covering 16.55 kms of NH 56 and NH 29. A formal Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) was signed towards this between AAI and NHAI today. Airports Authority of India has agreed to provide financial assistance of Five Crore rupees for plantations and maintenance work under their CSR funds for five years.

NHAI and AAI have collaborated under “Adopt a Green Highway Programme” as a CSR initiative of AAI. Adopt a Green Highway Programme is an initiative by Green Highways Division of NHAI to engage Corporates, Public Sector Units, Governmental organizations and institutions under CSR and Public Private Partnership for developing green corridor along National Highways.

This collaboration will encourage other PSUs and Corporates to utilize their CSR funds for Greening of Highways and creation of ecological assets.

MS/MS/rs

(Release ID :178146)
------------

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease. ... lid=177789
http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease. ... lid=177856
http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease. ... lid=177858
http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease. ... lid=177355
http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease. ... lid=177907
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Ministry of Road Transport & Highways
15-March-2018 15:23 IST
Highway Projects

Fourteen hundred seventy sanctioned projects amounting to Rs. 432538 Crore having length 44108 km

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease. ... lid=177507
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Press Information Bureau
Government of India
Ministry of Defence
28-March-2018 15:37 IST
Road Projects

The State-wise details of roads entrusted to Border Roads Organisation (BRO) for construction / improvement in the border area are as below, which include the Indo-China Border Roads (ICBRs):

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease. ... lid=178117
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Del-Mum to be connected by expressway.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tra ... 578589.cms
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

The kind of road construction should create a huge boom for the infra sector companies in stock market.
Also should see larger volume of loans from the bank and consequently higher interest rates.
Should increase jobs also. And lot of land acquisition issue related agitation would come up in the MSM with Raul baba doing 'poll dancing' as usual.

Don't see any of the above, at least to the level where last 3 years have added what the previous 70 years have done.

My guess, lot of state highways and other roads are being marked as national highways. Also some of the roads are widened with increase in lanes and getting counted on per lane KM basis.

Still beneficial, no doubt.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Picklu wrote:The kind of road construction should create a huge boom for the infra sector companies in stock market.
Also should see larger volume of loans from the bank and consequently higher interest rates.
Should increase jobs also. And lot of land acquisition issue related agitation would come up in the MSM with Raul baba doing 'poll dancing' as usual.

Don't see any of the above, at least to the level where last 3 years have added what the previous 70 years have done.

My guess, lot of state highways and other roads are being marked as national highways. Also some of the roads are widened with increase in lanes and getting counted on per lane KM basis.

Still beneficial, no doubt.
Many are upgrade projects that are long overdue and will surely help. If we can use this opportunity to convert more 2-lane highways to 4-lanes, that's good. And the news is about contracts awarded, not the overall project length. So I expect more such contracts to be awarded over the next few months. There is also the Sagarmala scheme, under which roads like the Chennai-Tuticorin-Kanniyakumari East Coast Road are to be upgraded to 4-lane throughout (700+ km).

Then comes the push to build expressways, though not with the eye-popping numbers of the Bharatmala scheme. These are all new alignments due to their nature of needing access-control and straighter alignments. In the south alone, there is the Chennai-BLR e-way, and the recently announced Chennai-Salem e-way. There is also a HYD-BLR and Hyd-Vijayawada (Amaravati) expressways in the works. MH recently announced a greenfield Mumbai-Nagpur expressway, which will be the longest single project so far at 700+ km, till the Mumbai-Delhi one comes online. Given the rather large numbers, I think the expressway projects should have been grouped under a separate umbrella scheme for better optics. Nothing like creating a buzz for good work being done on the ground.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Supratik wrote:Del-Mum to be connected by expressway.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tra ... 578589.cms
What would be the toll on this road if one wants to go from Mum to Delhi..?

The cost is incredibly high. 16000Cr + 44000Cr for two patches. Total cost would be ~1lakh Cr for entire 1400km. That's the kind of investment done for Western DFC, isn't it..?
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

It is roughly parallel to DMIC. That region is expected to see heavy industrialization in the next 10 yrs. So the expressway will have demand.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Back in the early 2000s when Golden Quadrilateral was envisioned by NDA1, GoI was faced with two problems:
* Should we make it just an expanded highway or an access controlled expressway ?
* How do we pay for it ?

First one involved either expanding existing NH alignment wider, or building a dedicated expressway alignment (curve and gradient requirements for expressways meant existing alignment didn't always work).

Paying for it was a problem. There were no private operators willing to bid for contracts as the feasibility was unknown. Same for private money. It was paid for out of tax revenues, until viability was demonstrated and more sources of private debt and contractors became available.

Today we've come a full circle, with that entire stretch now proposed for a full access controlled expressway end to end. Back then, there wasn't any money to do that.

Infrastructure - road and rail - are great GDP force multipliers, in addition to providing employment for many people involved in the construction. vsunder in the railway thread described how average speed on DFC is intended to be 70km/h vs 35km/h for freight trains now, and each DFC rake wlil be 2.5-3x as much tonnage as a current rake. Imagine how much more economic activity that engenders: 2-3x the amount of goods transported 2x faster.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

India's killer roads strike big the last two days.

9 April: Himachal Pradesh: School bus mishap claims 27 lives
Twenty three children and four others killed as school bus falls into deep gorge in Kangra district in Himachal Pradesh, President Ram Nath Kovind and Prime Minister Narendra Modi express anguish over the tragedy.

Twenty three deceased children were students of Ram Singh Pathania Memorial School.

The School bus driver, and two school teachers (on male and one female) and one other lady also died in the accident.
10 April: 18 workers killed, 20 injured as truck overturns near Satara
At least 18 construction labourers, including women and children, were killed and 20 others injured when a tempo carrying them crashed into a concrete barrier and overturned at the dangerous 'S’ shaped road near Khandala tunnel, about 70km from here in neighbouring Satara district on the Pune-Bengaluru National Highway around 5.30 am on Tuesday.

All the victims hail from Tikoti in Bijapur district of Karnataka and were on way to the Shirwal industrial estate near Pune for working at a construction site.

The speeding tempo was negotiating a sharp turn on the road when its driver lost control and the heavy vehicle crashed into a 6-ft high road side barrier before it overturned, police said. The victims, who were seated in the rear carriage, bore the brunt and some of them were thrown outside the vehicle. The impact left 18 persons dead on the spot.

The deceased included eight women and five children besides, the tempo driver, police said.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

most of commercial vehicle accidents are not due to road but careless driving by someone or bad luck.

we have numerous CCTV footage of road accidents in india on youtube and none to my viewing are due to the roads. no road can save from yahoo drivers and some vehicle types like big buses are unsafe in high speed crashes as seen in numerous bus crashes in US/Canada inevitably being fatal in situations where a car might not be. the latest is 16 kids in canada.

"killer roads" is a typical britshit psyops play.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

huge logistic cos like VRL, Gati etc have risen to take advantage of faster logistics via NHDP highways.

one can see diff in the speed of courier deliveries and ecommerce between the metro cities like a lot of it comes from warehouses in NCR and mumbai
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Singha wrote:most of commercial vehicle accidents are not due to road but careless driving by someone or bad luck.

we have numerous CCTV footage of road accidents in india on youtube and none to my viewing are due to the roads. no road can save from yahoo drivers and some vehicle types like big buses are unsafe in high speed crashes as seen in numerous bus crashes in US/Canada inevitably being fatal in situations where a car might not be. the latest is 16 kids in canada.

"killer roads" is a typical britshit psyops play.
Sir, one can't disassociate physical infrastructure from the road sense of those who use it. If lakhs continue dying on India's roads, it won't matter how smooth the asphalt is, certainly not for a survivor, or a dead victim's dependents. Please don't take the phrase literally.

Otherwise there is no need for Gadkari and his ministry to focus on anything but building roads, but then, they are focusing on improving India's overall driving culture to ensure such "yahoo drivers" don't exist anymore because that is critical as well.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

What is the point of that argument ? When we had bad roads, we had high accident rates. With much better quality roads now than we did 10-15 years ago, we still have high accident rates. Logically, that indicates that driver sense is not linked to state of road. If you're appealing to emotion, i.e. "It won't matter to the dead or family", maybe not, but that's a different discussion within the realm of legal and not road infrastructure discussion, which is the topic of this thread.

We are a federal republic. So there's an important distinction to be aware of here. We have a union ministry for road construction. But driver licensing falls within the purview of states, who run their own RTOs. So does law and order, which includes traffic policing (we do not have a federal highway traffic police). We have a system in place, with certain entities responsible for certain things. Improving driver culture, though effective implementation of testing and licencing, is a state-level task. It is not within the purview of Mr.Gadkari's work. He's doing what he has been empowered to do, extremely well.
M_Joshi
BRFite

Post by M_Joshi »

Suraj wrote:What is the point of that argument ? When we had bad roads, we had high accident rates. With much better quality roads now than we did 10-15 years ago, we still have high accident rates. Logically, that indicates that driver sense is not linked to state of road. If you're appealing to emotion, i.e. "It won't matter to the dead or family", maybe not, but that's a different discussion within the realm of legal and not road infrastructure discussion, which is the topic of this thread.

We are a federal republic. So there's an important distinction to be aware of here. We have a union ministry for road construction. But driver licensing falls within the purview of states, who run their own RTOs. So does law and order, which includes traffic policing (we do not have a federal highway traffic police). We have a system in place, with certain entities responsible for certain things. Improving driver culture, though effective implementation of testing and licencing, is a state-level task. It is not within the purview of Mr.Gadkari's work. He's doing what he has been empowered to do, extremely well.
Just putting out a thought that I have in mind. Readers with access to ears in corridors of power may make the word reach there. The idea is about creation of a separate Special Traffic Police Unit under Central Govt. Control with jurisdiction in NHAIs all over the country. A few details are as follows:
India has approx. 50,000 kms of highways under NHAI. Centre under Transport Ministry should institute a specially trained Traffic Police Unit wholly under it's control with working as follows. The calculation of Budget for 5 years is as follows:
> Out of 50,000 kms let's leave out 10,000 kms as low traffic > leaves 40,000 kms.
> Out of 24 hours in 2 shifts of different Drivers/Policemen the vehicle will be driven for approx. 12 hours at the avg. speed of 40 km/h > 480 kms ~ 500 kms one way/ 2 shifts = 125 kms both ways ~ 100 kms approx. distance for each vehicle one side twice a day.
> 40000 kms/ 100 kms = 400 vehicle units required all over the country to comb 40,000 kms all over the country twice a day.
> Capital Costs:
a >> Vehicles : 400 x Rs. 10,00,000 mid range SUV = Rs. 4,00,00,00,000 = Rs. 400 crores.
b >> Equipment like Dash Cams, GPS systems, Reporting Systems, Emergency Response / vehicle : 400 x Rs. 50,000 = Rs. 2 crores.
c >> 5 Central Zone & Reporting Offices with GPS tracking, Admin etc. : 5 x Rs. 10 crores = Rs. 50 crores.
> Annual Running Costs:
d >> Salaries : 4 policemen / vehicle in 2 shifts with 2 in each shift : 4 x Rs. 30,000/month x 12 months x 400 : Rs. 57.6 crores. Admin Salary costs per Central Zone : 5 x 50 people average per zone x Rs. 25,000 average salary x 12 months : Rs. 7.5 crores
e >> Diesel : 500 kms / day with mileage of 15 km/L x Rs. 60/ Ltr x 365 days x 400 units : Rs. 29.2 crores
f >> Maintenance of Vehicles : Rs. 20 crores annually approx.
g >> Maintenance of Equipment : Rs. 5 crores annually approx.

Cost for 5 years : a + b + c + 5*(d + e +f + g) : 400 + 2 + 50 + 5*(65.1 + 29.2 + + 20 + 5) = Rs. 1048.5 crores for 5 years.

This whole thing will cost us approx. 200-250 crores / annum annualised for the next 5 years.

Most of the accidents that happen in India are due to human error. Most of the reasons are :
> Driving on Wrong side of the Lane.
> Overloading. Riding in trucks etc. Like the accident in Pune recently.
> Slower vehicles like trucks/tractors driving on the right lane. Cars overtake zig zag from left & usually are part of accidents.
> Rash driving by cars/ buses etc.
> Not following lane discipline.
> Parking on roads, especially by trucks/trailers etc.
> Not using enough reflectors/ proper lights by slow moving vehicles.
I myself have had many near death experiences due to many of the factors above & countless people die/get injured daily all over the country.

The job of this Task Force Police would be to force discipline on NHs by warning/ challaning offenders of Road Rules. People do not fear Law but they fear Rule of Law. If anybody has been to Chandigarh they can witness how disciplined the traffic in Chandigarh is as compared to any other Indian city because of the tight fist of the Traffic Police. Even in Ahmedabad I saw bikers jumping Red Lights in front of the Traffic Policeman standing & watching there like a wimp. For a college boy 1st time our of Chandigarh to another major India city this was a shock. In Chandigarh I myself have been challaned for jumping on Yellow Light leave alone a Red light. Subsequently, the accidents are also low here. Same thing needs to be done on our NHs as well. These Patrol Vehicles patrolling 100 kms a day need to find offenders & punish them hard with challans. Because of Centralized National Database of this Police Force, repeat offenders will be forced to give up their Driving Privileges. Dashcams & Mic Technology linked to Central ZOne will eliminate or drastically decrease the bribe culture as well. Plus a decent earning of Rs. 5,000 per vehicle (easily doable on our NHs) per day from Challans will result in approx. Rs. 75 crores income per annum which can easily support 40% of the expenses of this project annually.