Indian Roads Thread

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Roads Thread

Post by AdityaM »

^ car overtaking on a turn, that too from left..
car speeding on a turn when turning into a road, rather right of way belongs to person going straight on
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

^ the beauty of the above equation is even without the alto, the two trucks were going to have a head on collision anyway. between the two elephants the rat was a sideshow

ppl are blaming the car driver, but its the truck driver entering the turn that encouraged him and soothed him that all is well.
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

The truck driver entered the wrong way just to avoid colliding with the Car since the car was right in front of him. The truck driver intended to go straight.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Zynda wrote:Apparently an Alto gets crushed like a tin can between two lorries while the idiot driver of the car makes an illegal right turn from the center lane. Seen this multiple times on BLR (probably on entire Indian) roads...two wheelers, autos & cabs do it very often, make turns suddenly from center lane expecting the traffic on the side lanes to slow down & make way for them and they don't take it kindly if their wrong doing is pointed out.

I guess that's why certain rules even though they seem stupid (like speed warning), probably makes sense in our country until the populace (incl educated class) achieves a certain knowledge about road safety!
Not just cabs and two wheelers, even cars do it, included the supposedly educated and those in IT industry etc. Problem is that everyone wants to stand in the front when there are traffic lights. Doesn't matter if they have to stand left and they need to make a right turn (or vice versa). Once the signal turns green, these people try to make the turn to opposite direction, slowing up traffic and putting themselves in the harm's way. Some even try to do a U-turn from the wrong site.

The other thing that gets my goat is when vehicles try to go in opposite lane just because there is some slow moving vehicle in front (usually bus or trucks) . its a big danger as they can't see whats coming in the opposite directions due to the big vehicle blocking their sight, and then trying to go into wrong lane. Not to mention that its also frequent cause of traffic jams.

How hard is it to maintain lane discipline?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

after hearing and reading many news, my last week was on a borrowed bike rather 4 wheeler. I thanked him (lender) but no thanks as fellow bengaluru 2 wheelers are the most horrible in terms of encroaching your right of way, and as is there is no follow the leader system on a lane. i was just wondering bike lanes.. like 1 meter bike lanes. bikes have to put indicator to switch bike lanes, and can never step (yellow line) into 4 wheeler lanes. this requires massive infra upgrade plan.

So essentially we could have 2+2 lane min to a 4+4 max depending on traffic density. buildings giving way to such ways in both inner and outer cities. left most lane is divided in to 3 bike lanes. this will end the crazy bikers regime! this is my excellent idea and if more than 3 bikes seen on the side, apply automatic brakes integrated with security system (controlled remotely by CCTV or cop near by). issue a ticket, and introduce automatic suspension of license on 3 tickets like in massa.

fear is the key! it works. it has worked with goonda and rowdy system, it must work on disciplining our roads too.

========

btw, I saw on ORR/koramangala to old airport road bypass few hep lycreswaries with few gentoolmen and I was thinking one of them tall and sprinting well to be our GD
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

http://m.economictimes.com/comment/52723683.cms

New plan to 4 lane a grid of nh
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

4 lane each side?
chanakya_neeti
BRFite -Trainee

Post by chanakya_neeti »

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question. Here is article that raises suspicion at Nitin Gadkari's claim regarding Highway construction: "transport minister Nitin Gadkari's claim of highway construction falling to 2 km per day during the last months of UPA and the NDA government pushing this to 14 km may have become popular in the BJP camp but road transport ministry data show that highway-building never went below 11 km per day during UPA-2"
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 391678.cms
The data that I obtained online also appears to contradict Gadkari's claim. Can anyone please point me in the right direction in case I am missing anything.

kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

This road grid will revolutionize how we travel/transport goods in India. Definitely its a pro-active policy by NaMo govt. My request to Govt is
- Make it 6-lane or 8-lane.
- Acquire extra land, so that in future we can lay railway tracks along with it.
Government plans national highway grids for smooth travel; 27 corridors identified
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

'Proactive policy' is putting this mildly. It's extremely forward looking, and what's more, in the hands of a very capable road development minister backed by PMO.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Excellent initiative! Worked for USA, worked for Rome & worked for the Harappans. Will work for modern India.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

^^ Some of those routes appear highly ambitious and frankly not easy to commission. Not only they pass through some of the most difficult and environmentally fragile terrain (Western Ghats, Nilgiri Biosphere reserve, National Parks and Biosphere reserves in North and Central India), but land acquisition will be a tough nut to crack in so many places (see the Kerala route above).

Being proactive and ambitious is fine, being environmentally callous, perhaps not so much.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Kashi, read the article along with the "Balance 6500 Kms state and other roads need to be NH with four lanes" mentioned in diagram. Probably, the grid shown is a conceptual representation. The actual thing will try to follow existing SH and other roads as much as possible, taking into account the environmenta, social and other issues
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

^^ Precisely, to fully realise this grid, GoI and NHAI will need to upgrade ~13,000 km of existing National Highways (of the 30,100 km that will constitute the grid) into 4-6 lane National Highways and then upgrade the remaining 6500 km of roads to 4 lane NH status.

Of the former (~13,000) km, it is not very clear as to which parts of the NH network they map to and why there were not upgraded to four lanes till now. For instance, does it include stretches that are already being doubled, Allahabad-Rai Bareilly and Varanasi-Lucknow? Or it consists of regions that are very difficult to expand owing to land acquisition/environmental issues?

The section of the NH passing through Kerala will be notoriously difficult to double, likewise it will be difficult to advocate the doubling of the highways passing through Bandipur/Nagarhole/Mudumalai. New roads in these regions are nearly out of the question.

But if we get closer to the full grid with minimal fuss, it would be, pardon the pun, a great leap forward.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

The remaining work to complete the grid is less than 2 years of work (assuming land is acquired). The govt. plans to notify (and hopefully construct) 2 lakh km as national highways. If 36000 km is enough to complete the grid which looks quite dense by the way, what can 2 lakh km do? India will be truly connected.
chanakya_neeti
BRFite -Trainee

Post by chanakya_neeti »

Does anyone have any idea regarding this?
chanakya_neeti wrote:I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question. Here is article that raises suspicion at Nitin Gadkari's claim regarding Highway construction: "transport minister Nitin Gadkari's claim of highway construction falling to 2 km per day during the last months of UPA and the NDA government pushing this to 14 km may have become popular in the BJP camp but road transport ministry data show that highway-building never went below 11 km per day during UPA-2"
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 391678.cms
The data that I obtained online also appears to contradict Gadkari's claim. Can anyone please point me in the right direction in case I am missing anything.

hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

^^So where are the roads?
From the above table, more than 25000km of highways must have been constructed from 2008-9 to 2013-14. If you include 2004-5 to 2007-9, it must be close to 40000km of highways. Most of the golden quadrilateral and a large chunk of nsew were constructed during NDA1 which comes to around at least 8000km of four laned highways before UPA. So that should make around 50000km of four laned national highways before NDA2.

Do we really have 50000 km of four laned highways built at least to the NDA1 golden quadrilateral standards? I would be tearing my clothes off and dancing with glee if it is true.

When UPA claims they build so many km of highways, are they single laned, two laned or four laned? What is the quality of construction?

Gadkari is claiming to build concrete highways lasting 50 to 100 years and at least four laned.

Road warriors in India can throw more light. Was any thing significant really added after golden quad and nsew - both NDA1 initiatives?
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

NHAI annual report for 2008-09 itself claims only 2204 kms have been 4/6 laned during 2008-09. I doubt even those figures.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the only 4 laning in my radar screen here over the last 12 yrs has been the neelamangala to hassan NH. I doubt the ghat stretch after sakleshpur toward mangalore is 4 laned even now. another important route tumakaru - tiptur - shivamoga - sagar - honnavar was smooth but not 4 laned when last I drove there.

the shivamoga - sagar - honnavar is one of the most beautiful drives in India - lush green uplands and ghats, small villages, mists ... man I miss that , need to go again and maybe stay in bhadra sanctuary this time.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

nhai 2007-08 annual report
l
1682 kms of National Highways have been 4/6 laned during the year 2007-08
nhai 2011-12 annual report
2248 kms of National Highways have been upgraded to 4/6-lane highway during the year 2011-12
nhai 2010-11 annual report
1784 kms of National Highways have been 4/6 laned during the year 2010-11
The figures are much less than the 10-16 kms/day that UPA claims.
I don't believe even these figures.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

nhai 2014-15 annual report

Code: Select all

Physical Achievement over the Years
(in kms)
FY Completion Award
2006-07 636 1730
2007-08 1684 1234
2008-09 2205 643
2009-10 2693 3359
2010-11 1783 5058
2011-12 2248 6491
2012-13 2844 1116
2013-14 1901 1435
2014-15 1501 3067
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the UPA could be claiming NH+(SH+smaller roads(under state govt contracts)), while Gadkari only claims the NHAI NH work ?
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

My guess is both would be claiming any roads built with central funds. Both would be claiming single or double laned roads too. My guess is Gadkari wouldn't be building many single or two laned roads except in border areas. But UPA at least should only claim those roads that are built to a certain standard.

Gadkari is promising 41km/day going forward. Thats at least 40000 km over the next three years. There should be a visible change for any one travelling in India. We will know the truth soon enough. Also all new roads will be concrete roads.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 280923.cms
GURGAON: Union minister for Road Transport Nitin Gadkari today said a new access control highway would be constructed between Delhi and Jaipur which would reduce the travel time between the cities to just two hours.

The 270-km distance takes over six hours by road now.
Gadkari said the work would be completed in 15 months instead of the originally planned 30.

Referring to the new Delhi-Jaipur access control highway, Gadkari said the project would cost Rs 16,000 crore and work on it will be started in January, 2017. The land acquisition process for the new highway would be started soon.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

One Basic Question :?:
How can a vehicle cover 270 km distance in just two hour, when legally highway speed is restricted to only 80 kmph :shock:
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Mollick.R wrote:One Basic Question :?:
How can a vehicle cover 270 km distance in just two hour, when legally highway speed is restricted to only 80 kmph :shock:
You missed the access controlled part - this would allow for increased speed limits. Also, he said the road would allow the distance to be covered in 2 hours - that just means it'll be spec'd for 120kmp+ speeds.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

It is a very norm in access controlled highways to drive at 80 MPH/128 KMPH. But you will need bigger cars with more powerful engines (SUVs)
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Thanks for the clarification guru(s)... :D
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 313350.cms
Government may soon come up with an ambitious Rs 3-lakh-crore Economic Corridor project to develop 35,000 km of highways for faster movement of freight. This would be the second largest project in the sector after the flagship road building programme of NHDP which saw development of 50,000 km of National Highways network as per global standards including the Golden Quadrilateral project.
"A Road Transport and Highways Ministry-appointed study for economic corridors by global consultancy firm AT Kearney has identified 40 such economic corridors totaling about 35,000 km," a Road Transport and Highways Ministry official told PTI.
The project is aimed at faster movement of cargo and would not only under developing economic corridors with a length of about 21,000 km but also developing 14,000 km of feeder routes, i.e. providing connectivity to logistic hubs, the official said.
"A rough estimate suggests about Rs three lakh crore on the project and the scheme is being finalised," he said. The economic corridors include Mumbai-Cochin-Kanyakumari, Bangalore-Mangalore, Hyderabad-Panji and Sambalpur-Ranchi to name a few, the official added
The proposed Economic Corridor is planned to overtake Ministry's National Grid Project where NHAI has prepared a plan for grid connectivity through 27 horizontal and vertical highways.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

SBajwa wrote:It is a very norm in access controlled highways to drive at 80 MPH/128 KMPH. But you will need bigger cars with more powerful engines (SUVs)
Any car upwards of Swift will be good enough for a sustained 120+ KmPH speed.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

^
Pardon a noob question but do Indian cars give fuel economy at sustained 120+ Kmph ?

If they dont we should not be surprised if cars keep droning as usual at max 90 kmph in a 120+ Kmph stretch.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

^ Shouldn't be much different from the fuel economy we get from sustained 2nd gear driving in Indian cities.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

^^ I think it might be 2 hr reduction in travel time rather than 2 hr travel time. Some mistake by reporter. 135kmph average speed means max speed limit will have to be 160kmph or more. From personal experience, with max speed of 130kmph average speed achieved is around 100kmph only.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 302400.cms
The government has ordered the removal of all advertisement hoardings across the length and breadth of national highways. According to an order issued last week by the road transport and highways ministry, no hoarding will be allowed on the right of the way on national highways. The right of way also includes the 10-metre of land strip on both sides of the highway that runs along the length.
"It has been decided that the regional and liasoning officers within their jurisdiction will inspect the NHs (national highways) by prioritising heavily trafficked NHs and other NHs in stages and submit inspection reports to the ministry for further necessary action," the government said.
..................an internal study conducted by the ministry has focused on the need to remove huge hoardings, a move which is in line with international practice
The government is working on a national roadmap to reduce the number of road accidents in India. The country has over five lakh road accidents every year on the NHs in which over 1.5 lakh people are killed. A target to reduce road deaths by half by 2020 has been set by Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari.

The roads ministry has also launched Pradhan Mantra Surakshit Sadak Yojana with a corpus of Rs 2,000 crore to fix the black spots on highways where accidents occur regularly.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

How much of this drive is successful needs to be seen. As law and order is a state subject & a huge number of hoardings are illegally put with support of local Gunda/Neta/Babu/Thanedaar nexus. The said liasoning officers deputed by NHAI (?)/GOI may not get full support to perform their job.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

JayS wrote:^^ I think it might be 2 hr reduction in travel time rather than 2 hr travel time. Some mistake by reporter. 135kmph average speed means max speed limit will have to be 160kmph or more. From personal experience, with max speed of 130kmph average speed achieved is around 100kmph only.
this seems more likely. Maybe it's just another example of DDM giri by the jurno.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Government plans 27,000km economic corridors

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 320384.cms

HIGHLIGHTS
The government plans to make 44 highway stretches totalling 27,000 km to be developed as 'economic corridors'
The new plan is expected to be completed in six years.
These packages are likely to require at least Rs 6 lakh crore investment

The Union highways ministry is preparing a proposal to seek the cabinet approval for this programme. (Representative image)The Union highways ministry is preparing a proposal to seek the cabinet approval for this programme. (Representative image)

The government will make 44 highway stretches totalling 27,000 km to be developed as "economic corridors" for seamless movement of cargo vehicles, cut delays, deepen economic activities and create jobs. It will help in decongesting 30 top cities in the country by building ring roads and logistics hubs along these corridors.

This will be the biggest highway expan sion plan since the rolling out of Golden Quadrilateral and North South East West Corridor, totalling 13,000 km during the Vajpayee regime. These stretches pass through and connect major hubs of economic activities such as manufacturing clusters and ports, and have been identified as "economic corridors". The new plan is expected to be completed in six years. The government is exploring several funding options, including road development cess, loans from agencies and also private investment.

Another 15,000 km will be developed as feeder routes to these economic corridors.Sources said that 40 interconnecting corridors will also be developed to link 44 economic corridors and the Golden Quadrilateral.This network will carry 80% of the country's freight. The government will also rebrand national highways as national corridors, economic corridors and feeder roads, a move aimed at helping in navigation and identify ing the roads. The corridors have been identified using satellite imagery .

TOI has learnt that the work of expanding these stretches will be carried out under the `Bharat Mala' programme, a highway project that will link ports, logistic hubs, border areas to boost cargo movement, exports and their overall growth.

The Union highways ministry is preparing a proposal to seek the cabinet approval for the ambitious programme. TOI on June 13 had first reported the government's plan to develop a grid of national highways for smooth traffic movement. NHAI officials said some of the identi fied corridors are Mumbai to Kolkata, Pune to Vijayawada, Jaipur to Indore, Tuticorin to Kochi and Bengaluru to Nellore.

"Most of these identified stretches are already part of the national highway network... We need to provide seamless connectivity. The main aim is to provide wider roads for cargo vehicles and necessary facilities and also to equip them with 100% electronic tolling system," a ministry official said.

All these identified stretches will be made into four to six lanes with facilities such as truck lay-by , parking lots and logistics parks."There will be no congestion point throughout the stretches," the official said.
These packages are likely to require at least Rs 6 lakh crore investment, according to NHAI sources
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

ANI UP ‏@ANINewsUP
Mathura: At least 12 vehicles crash into each other due to dense fog at Yamuna expressway, one dead and more than 10 injured.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

road from gangtok to nathu la pass
tandav
BRFite

Post by tandav »

For contrast here is the Karakoram highway part of CPEC built by China.