Indian Real Estate Sector

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Real Estate Sector

Post by Ambar »

Our inheritance laws mixed with slow judicial process that can sometimes take upto 25 yrs to decide on a case is a deadly concoction to a non-political real estate buyer but a sweet nectar for real estate mafia, politicians and goons. The inheritance need not be direct either ( ex : two sons contesting over a already sold property once owned by their deceased father) but these complications can arise even with hereditary properties with multiple generations in the middle . Dealing in land in India is not for the faint hearted, when it comes to property protection and transparency we are probably 100 yrs behind developed countries. Just as an example, it has taken me over 6 months and countless trips to the BDO and muncipal office to just to get my property khatha (property record/revenue record) converted to a e-Katha (electronic land record). This is something the government should be doing themselves, but no, they want the owner to spend a year and bribing thousands of rupees to everyone in the muncipal office just to get the revenue document converted to a electronic format. How bad is the process you ask ? In a tier 3 town, a 60x40 land's e-Katha conversion will take 3 to 6 months and about Rs 25,000 in bribes, the govt charges are a mere Rs 600 !
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

It is really shocking how many property buyers don't get legal due diligence done and instead rely on bank's assessment. In the past, I had to pass on "attractive" opportunities because my lawyers found issues with the title when they went beyond the obvious. But other buyers quickly lapped it up after I rejected.

This is especially true if you are buying in the outskirts, which used to be farm land a while ago. Some of these I encountered are: grant land which shouldn't be sold for certain years, PTCL Act property, village map of long ago showing a nala/raja kaluve or lake bed nearby or within, survey number suddenly changed but no mutation register (?) available...

If you are buying property, just go to a good lawyer and get a comprehensive check done. The cost is nothing compared to buying, and it's worth decades of peace of mind.
sanman
BRF Oldie

Post by sanman »