Indian Autos Thread

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
a_bharat
BRFite

Re: Indian Autos Thread

Postby a_bharat » 02 Oct 2011 20:19

Gaurav_S wrote:
Q: How worried are you about Narendra Modi and Gujarat because they are trying to get all of the business that is currently in Haryana to move to Gujarat?
Here is a state which gives land at rupee per acre, waives value added tax which is the principle main stay of running your state for 25 years. ...

Good argument, but wrong on facts. It seems Tata Group paid Rs 900/sq metre (approx Rs 36 lakhs per acre ?) and Ford was alloted land at Rs 1100/sq metre. See http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ford-takes-tata-route-to-invest-rs-4k-cr-in-sanand/824025/0

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 03 Oct 2011 08:10

XUV500 is getting good reviews on TV shows here. quite unusual because they usually suck up to luxury brands like merc and bmw only.
the interior plastics and upholstery are still below par vs 15L cars but a lot better than what M&M usually provides which is poor.

the cost, features, power and interior space are unbeatable combo vs the Fortuner which costs 10L more.

if they can continue to refine this and market well, should attract lot of innova buyers too. speaking of innova - this product has seen no refresh every since introduction....are they planning a new innova to replace the very dated current model or just continue to milk the cash cow?

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Postby Aditya_V » 03 Oct 2011 12:05

a_bharat wrote:
Gaurav_S wrote:quote]Q: How worried are you about Narendra Modi and Gujarat because they are trying to get all of the business that is currently in Haryana to move to Gujarat?
Here is a state which gives land at rupee per acre, waives value added tax which is the principle main stay of running your state for 25 years. .../quote]

Good argument, but wrong on facts. It seems Tata Group paid Rs 900/sq metre (approx Rs 36 lakhs per acre ?) and Ford was alloted land at Rs 1100/sq metre. See http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ford-takes-tata-route-to-invest-rs-4k-cr-in-sanand/824025/0

Isnt CNBC in India and CNN-IBN run by same Indian group, so its sad such psy-ops is used in business channels also.

There is no VAT exemption, only set-off on inputs and Vat payable, which is applicable in most states.

So its a case of the fox that is unable to get the grapes claiming it is sour.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 03 Oct 2011 12:48

both brf and tbhp are boycotting the delhi F1.

tbhp's demand that all F1 convert to diesel was found unviable in the time available but they would consider next year.

brf's demand that all F1 mount a radar in the nose and 2xbrahmos bolted on the engine deck was rejected as a security risk if the car crashes and flames spread.

dinakar
BRFite

Postby dinakar » 06 Oct 2011 10:15

A image showing the different hubs of Indian automobile industry...

Prem
BRF Oldie

Postby Prem » 08 Oct 2011 09:23

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10 ... utomakers/
Toyota’s India Announcement Belies a Greater Shift for Japanese Automakers
Toyota said Thursday that it would begin selling the Etios, a compact sedan and hatchback developed and produced in India, to customers in South Africa, marking the first time that the brand’s India division would export a car to another market.Though Toyota framed the action as part of its commitment to emerging markets — indeed, the brand expects production of passenger cars in India to increase from the current 160,000 units to 310,000 in 2013 — the announcement came at a time when Toyota, as well as other Japanese automakers, were pursuing strategies to shelter their businesses from the effects of a strong yen.The currency’s strength has raised the cost of producing vehicles in Japan. Unwilling to compromise their competitive positions in export markets by passing along rising costs to consumers, Japanese automakers are instead relocating production that would otherwise be performed in Japan.

Prem
BRF Oldie

Postby Prem » 08 Oct 2011 09:24

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 37806.html

Maruti Suzuki Halts Production at North India Factory
DELHI – Workers at two Suzuki Motor Corp. factories have been on strike since Friday afternoon, forcing Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. to halt production at its Manesar plant in north India's Haryana state, a spokesman for the country's largest car ...

( Commies again)

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 08 Oct 2011 13:19

I believe the honda brio will also be exported from india once production ramps up.

uskumar
BRFite

Postby uskumar » 08 Oct 2011 16:21

Prem wrote: ( Commies again)

try surviving on 5000Rs u would become a commie in no time.

Asit P
BRFite

Postby Asit P » 09 Oct 2011 02:36

uskumar wrote:try surviving on 5000Rs u would become a commie in no time.

Have survived in Rs 1500 as well and am proud to have not yet become a Commie :). Anyway, how much do you think should be the appropriate salary to prevent the workers from becoming Commies?

Also, please be mindful of the fact that an increase in the production cost will erode India's competitive advantage, thereby propelling the MNCs to take their production units to some other place. Then we will start crying that there are no jobs in the country and hence people are becoming Commis !

tchandr
BRFite -Trainee

Postby tchandr » 10 Oct 2011 03:27

Asit P wrote:please be mindful of the fact that an increase in the production cost will erode India's competitive advantage, thereby propelling the MNCs to take their production units to some other place. Then we will start crying that there are no jobs in the country and hence people are becoming Commis !

If the only way we remain competitive is by keeping labor costs low then we will not remain competitive in long run.
I do have issue with the argument that to remain competitive the labor costs should be kept low. I have not heard of any strikes in TATA, Mahindra, AL etc in recent past (last 5-10 years).
Before MIL there was a similar strike at Honda plant on the issue of contract employees being paid low salary. Perhaps there is something wrong with the management (?).

Vasu
BRFite

Postby Vasu » 14 Oct 2011 19:49

It seems the situation at Maruti is going to get worse before it gets any better.

Maruti sacks 25 more workers, tension intensifies

Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) today sacked 25 more workers at its Manesar plant, even as labourers on strike there continued to occupy the premises defying an order of the Punjab and Haryana High Court, despite the police threatening to forcibly evict them.

Nearly 2,000 striking workers continued to occupy the Manesar plant, while the main plant of the firm at Gurgaon also remained shut.

Tensions intensified at the plant as the police said it might have to evict workers forcibly.

"We have repeatedly asked the striking workers to vacate the factory premises. We are awaiting their response but we are not ruling out evicting them forcibly," Gurgaon Police Commissioner SS Deswal said.

He said the police had already cut water and food supplies to the workers who are inside the plant.

In the afternoon, the police entered the factory premises asking the workers to vacate.

While the striking workers claimed about 1,500 police personnel had entered the plant, Deswal said: "We have sufficient number of personnel."

In a related development, the union of Suzuki Powertrain India Ltd (SPIL) claimed that 18 workers have been sacked by the company.

I am still unable to find out what the bones of contention here are. Can somebody please help me with summing up the issues from both sides!?

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 14 Oct 2011 20:28

per the workers
- harsh micromanagement of timecard swiping - even longish toilet breaks tracked
- verbal abuse by supervisors
- taking back reinstated workers from earlier round in diff depts from their original ones, to create a situation of bad perf reviews
- people losing bonus/incentive pay if they take casual or sick leave

if all that is written be true, the mgmt was operating in the 'chinese' model.

one thing is sure - educated indian blue collar workers in manufacturing will not put up with the kind of treatment thats pretty routine in china and accepted without murmur mostly because the factory owners always have a squad of goons and police on their side there to crush protests.

rgsrini
BRFite

Postby rgsrini » 14 Oct 2011 22:42

Singha wrote:harsh micromanagement of timecard swiping - even longish toilet breaks tracked

I don't know about the specific situation of Maruti.

Regarding the tracking of longish toilet breaks, it is not an abnormal thing to do. This is not abnormal in Massaland or even in Europe (with its Works council) . Most companies implement labor efficiency tools and the first thing they track and fix is the time wastage during starting, sign off, and various breaks. There breaks are normally designed and agreed upon by both the management and Union folks. There are also government regulations mandating the minimum break time and work hours. In almost all situations it favors the laborers and rightfully so. (not seen the Chinese regulation, which may be different)

Based on my experience, the average wastage of productive time during startup/signout and breaks amount to 10% (not the break itself) and I have seen it as high as 18% in some cases.

Implementing labor efficiency tools can cause considerable fear, suspiscion and uneasiness among workers, if proper change management principles are not followed. It has to be done in partnership with the Union and workers. Otherwise it is bound to fail. It could bring in several benefits for the workers. Some companies uses these tools to identify training needs (Worker may not be aware of a simpler way to do an activity), worker-operation match (some people are good at some activities), incentives for achieving individual targets (positive reinforcement), improved relationship between Union and management as the discussion will be based on evidence and not arbitrary observations or supervisor bias (managing difficult/unproductive employees) .

There are also several cases where the companies have changed their expectation of productivity for specific activities, based on actual realized throughput (could be a result of incorrect industrial engineering techniques, or missing steps in standards) etc.

I am not sure what the workers are specifically complaining about in Maruti. But Labor efficiency tools bring in a whole lot of positives for the employees/workers and management if implemented in a collaborative manner.

Asit P
BRFite

Postby Asit P » 14 Oct 2011 23:55

tchandr wrote:If the only way we remain competitive is by keeping labor costs low then we will not remain competitive in long run.

Yes low labor costs is not the only way of being competitive. However, labor cost definitely plays a very critical role in increasing/reducing the competitive advantage of a firm/country. Take for example China's manufacturing sector or the Indian BPO industry.

tchandr wrote: I have not heard of any strikes in TATA, Mahindra, AL etc in recent past (last 5-10 years).

Mahindra has indeed had a labor strike:
The company's Nashik plant, where the Xylo is made, has been paralysed for the past five working days due to an intense labour strike.

Says Rajesh Jejurikar, M&M's chief of operations (automotive sector): "The strike will alter delivery schedules. There has been no change in demand."
http://business.rediff.com/report/2009/ ... s-xylo.htm

tchandr wrote:Before MIL there was a similar strike at Honda plant on the issue of contract employees being paid low salary. Perhaps there is something wrong with the management (?).

If low salary is an issue, then workers can always move to a different firm where they feel they will be paid a higher salary. What's the point of going on a strike every now & then? These strikes pay off in short term but are a menace to the nation in the long run. Look at what this unionbaazi has done to the jute factories in West Bengal! I am sure you must also be aware of the fact that owing to constant labor strikes, Hyundai has already moved a part of its production to Turkey. I don't want other companies to follow the same path.

tchandr
BRFite -Trainee

Postby tchandr » 15 Oct 2011 02:10

"Asit P"

1. oops, i stand corrected vis a vis Mahindra. Point i was trying to make was companies like Tata, mahindra, a treat their employees fairly, again it comes down to management.

2. At some places workers not have any choice but to continue where they are employed. Unionization of jute industry and the subsequent state of industry in west bengal is different from the labor discord in Maruthi.

3. Hyundai's decision to shift production of I20 for European market to Turkey was also based on fact that exports from India to Europe had become uncompetitive because the country did not have free trade agreements with European countries. http://business.rediff.com/report/2009/sep/03/auto-hyundai-selects-turkey-for-i20-output.htm. How much of the decision was based on labor depends on whom we listen.

Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Postby Pratyush » 15 Oct 2011 19:29

manaser has an issue with militant trade union workers. I had interacted with the HMSI manaser Plant welfare officer post strike in 2006. He discribed the situation as an absolute nightmare. According to him, and I am relying on my faulty memeory, from the management's POV, unskilled workers / and apprentices cannot be treated as a skilled employees with long term experience. The strike was aggravated when some outside elements mixed with the workers leading to violence and rioting.

They workers demand was that they ought to be treated as equals. The Plant management largely agreed to the demands. Which ended the strike at HMSI.

With MUL, they may be trying the same tatic. Remenber, the GGN plant has not faced such issues. The action in GGN has been in support of the Manaser plant.

As the employment conditions largely ought to be common for both the plants.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 15 Oct 2011 20:35

XUV500 is going to be a superhit if they service it well and if the quality holds up under extended use.
bookings are blocked now as 4 months production is sold out. kind of like the fortuner situation except is 10L cheaper!

Asit P
BRFite

Postby Asit P » 15 Oct 2011 22:08

tchandr wrote:2. At some places workers not have any choice but to continue where they are employed.

Could you please explain why? In my humble opinion, if the workers feel that they are not being paid well by their firms, then they can always move to some other firms (like the ones suggested by you). No one has compelled them to work only with Maruti.

By the way, even the honourable high court has declared this strike to be illegal!

tchandr wrote:Unionization of jute industry and the subsequent state of industry in west bengal is different from the labor discord in Maruthi.

No sir, even in WB the union baazi started with the same excuse of poor wages and bad treatment by the management.

tchandr wrote:3. Hyundai's decision to shift production of I20 for European market to Turkey was also based on fact that exports from India to Europe had become uncompetitive because the country did not have free trade agreements with European countries. http://business.rediff.com/report/2009/sep/03/auto-hyundai-selects-turkey-for-i20-output.htm.

From your own link:
Recent labour problems in the factory -- the workers went on strike between April 20 and May 7 and again from July 23 to July 28 against a wage settlement agreement -- also prompted the decision.

Asit P
BRFite

Postby Asit P » 15 Oct 2011 22:13

pandyan wrote:good job M&M on the XUV 500. Anybody had a chance to test drive/feel it?

Saw my ex colleagues of Mahindra posing royally with it and posting their pics on FB! Had an opportunity of speaking to one of them. The employees are quite upbeat about it.

ManjaM
BRFite

Postby ManjaM » 16 Oct 2011 16:48

TBhp has a MM XUV500 review. Well written - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official- ... eview.html

Also this thread is called "Indian autos thread" and disgracefully, not a single photo of an indian auto. I hereby remedy the situation.

Vasu
BRFite

Postby Vasu » 18 Oct 2011 10:59

Asit P wrote:
tchandr wrote:2. At some places workers not have any choice but to continue where they are employed.

Could you please explain why? In my humble opinion, if the workers feel that they are not being paid well by their firms, then they can always move to some other firms (like the ones suggested by you). No one has compelled them to work only with Maruti.

Very simple world view. Does it really work like that? How easy is it for people to switch careers? Especially at the level these workers are? They don't think like most of us sitting here about shifting jobs for higher pay and moving up the value chain. Just like it is not common for people to leave government jobs for the private sector.

The government needs to step in and tell the workers that they are only jeopardizing their future by doing this. Perhaps their union leaders have got them thinking that Maruti has no other option so it will blink.

Also notice how no political party or neta has stepped up in favour of the unions, unless I am not following the news closely.

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Postby Aditya_V » 20 Oct 2011 13:47

Looks like Ford like Honda before them have realised while the new Fiesta is a good product, it is overpriced and are now offering discounts of Rs. 50K on it.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 20 Oct 2011 15:17

TOI says MUL will no longer invest in Haryana and is instead looking to invest into Gujarat.

sum
BRF Oldie

Postby sum » 20 Oct 2011 15:21

NDTV was really intrigued by this and was running headlines of "MUL might move to Modi's Gujarat" since yesterday night.

krishnan
BRF Oldie

Postby krishnan » 20 Oct 2011 15:26

ManjaM wrote:TBhp has a MM XUV500 review. Well written - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official- ... eview.html

Also this thread is called "Indian autos thread" and disgracefully, not a single photo of an indian auto. I hereby remedy the situation.

The new autos are nice, both for driver and rider, with ES making it much easier for stop and start at traffic signals. Even ride quality is nice

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 20 Oct 2011 16:57

the XUV500- those cheesy concentric grill interior air vents spoil the posh look imo. easily rectifiable by M&M though with something more solid and sober. good quality sober soft materials >> overdose of chrome as the german cars show.

Vipul
BRF Oldie

Postby Vipul » 20 Oct 2011 19:39

Mahindra to do a Nano, working with Ssangyong on sub-Rs 4 lakh SUV.

If M&M can pull off the S101 at the stated price, it would make it the only mini-SUV in that price range anywhere in the world. To persist with the Nano analogy, it would do for SUVs what Tata Motors has done for cars by opening up an altogether new ultra lowcost category

Asit P
BRFite

Postby Asit P » 22 Oct 2011 03:45

Vasu wrote: Very simple world view. Does it really work like that? How easy is it for people to switch careers? Especially at the level these workers are? They don't think like most of us sitting here about shifting jobs for higher pay and moving up the value chain. Just like it is not common for people to leave government jobs for the private sector.

I am sorry but you need to see my statement in its complete context. All what you have stated may stand true in practical sense. However, this is no logic for going on a strike! The bottom line is no one has compelled the workers of Maruti to work only with Maruti. If they feel they are not being treated fairly, they must move on. What the workers are doing is plain hooliganism. This 'My way or highway' attitude is akin to the powers bestowed to Bhasmhasur. It can intoxicate a person and make him feel high for some time only to destroy him completely at the end!

Vasu
BRFite

Postby Vasu » 27 Oct 2011 00:03

Thats true Asit. I am simply saying we are getting too trigger-happy in putting all the blame on the workers. None of us know the exact truth, which again would not be black or white. For all we know, they are doing this because there is no other way. Just one theory out of many.

One, the workers have no reason to behave like hooligans. Are the workers of the two other Maruti entities also hooligans for supporting the hooligans at Manesar? Then that begs the question that was Maruti functioning with so many crooked workers all this time? All that doesn't add up. Now that the strike is over, we can continue talking about this at a more general level maybe.

I still don't know the truth. One part of the media is on either side and Business Standard has gone as far as calling it the return of militant trade unionism!

Klaus
BRF Oldie

Postby Klaus » 30 Oct 2011 06:48

VW to overtake Toyota by year-end?

According to Bloomberg's assessment of the situation, Volkswagen will see global sales lift by 13 per cent (8.1 million vehicles), with GM expected to pick up eight per cent (7.55 million) and Toyota's volume anticipated to fall nine per cent (to 7.27 million). If the IHS Automotive method skewed the result in GM's favour, the J.D. Power formulae has more than compensated in Volkswagen's favour.

joshvajohn
BRFite

Postby joshvajohn » 03 Nov 2011 18:22

Motown seeks sops to make India electric car hub
http://www.mydigitalfc.com/news/motown- ... ar-hub-377

Why not Indian government or state governments think of setting up Electric car sockets in public places for an amount similar to Petrol stations?! It is a good income as well as good service.

Vipul
BRF Oldie

Postby Vipul » 07 Nov 2011 23:17

Hyundai can come to Gujarat but conditions apply.

Kim Joong-Keun, ambassador of South Korea, has said that the Korean car maker, Hyundai, can surely come to Gujarat "if the state government offers favourable conditions". Kim, who was in the city on a three-day tour, addressed the media on Friday.

He had a meeting with Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday. During the meeting, the chief minister invited Hyundai to to set up car manufacturing plant in Gujarat. Kim replied that Hyundai can definitely come to the state. "If the state government offers favourable conditions and if the situation is good, then why can't Hyundai come to Gujarat?" he said.

On Friday, Kim also met around 20 industrialists of the city. Talking about Hyundai, Kim said the company was currently manufacturing 6 lakh cars per annum. "The company's current production capacity is being utilised fully but, in a couple of years, Hyundai may need to expand its capacity. Korean companies already have a strong presence in Chennai and Delhi. Their next location can also be Gujarat," he said.

During their meeting, Modi showed the South Korean ambassador some infrastructure projects. Later, Kim said that the chief minister was keen to attract investment and technology from Korea but they had asked the Gujarat government to first come up with a concrete plan and blueprint for projects.

"Once the plan is ready, I can bring to Gujarat 10 Korean construction companies who have the expertise to build the longest bridges of the world (Kalpasar Project?).But we need a concrete plan from the state government to do that," said Kim. The bilateral trade between South Korea and India is around $17.1 billion out of which Gujarat's contribution is 33%.

joshvajohn
BRFite

Postby joshvajohn » 11 Nov 2011 06:49

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Postby Aditya_V » 11 Nov 2011 11:21

joshvajohn wrote:Is it time to go electric?
http://blogs.hindustantimes.com/car-nam ... -electric/

A country which cannot supply power to its Industries needs to go electric??? In TN where I work, many companies I know produce their own captive power through 'DIESEL' or 'LSHS'. Where we actually use subsidized Diesel to generate power.

Nuclear power could be an option , but KNPP protesters have put paid to that also.

Sachin
Webmaster BR

Postby Sachin » 11 Nov 2011 16:32

Vasu wrote:I am simply saying we are getting too trigger-happy in putting all the blame on the workers. .....
One part of the media is on either side and Business Standard has gone as far as calling it the return of militant trade unionism!

The Hindu had an article on the Maruti Plant last week. Gone in 50 seconds
The issue of wages was never raised during the strike, but two statements reveal the gulf between a management wedded to a particular idea of efficiency and productivity and workers exhausted by the regimentation of factory life.

The way the Maruti factory operates reminds me of the Charlie Chaplin movie 'The Modern Times'. From what I could make out was that the assembly lines are run in such a tight time schedule, and that too with very strict controls; only a computer or another machine can do the work. Honestly, if what I read in Hindu is correct I would prefer a job with slightly more relaxed work timings and breaks. In this case I felt the need for a strong trade union.

PS: I am no supporter for trade unions by default, considering the ruin these fellows have brought into my home state.

joshvajohn
BRFite

Postby joshvajohn » 19 Nov 2011 06:47

Electric battery for vehicles to beat petrol, diesel woes
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3910&start=2680

GM showcases Beat battery electric vehicle
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/com ... 627450.ece

A new international agreement supported by the European Union, the United States and Japan could help pave the way for the widespread uptake of electric cars.
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/com ... 627450.ece

Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Postby Yogi_G » 20 Nov 2011 10:34

Staying in a 2nd floor building, I wonder how I can ever manage to recharge a electric car? 8 hours recharge times defeats it all. In TFTA lands with garages it is not at all a problem but I just dont foresee me buying a electric car until I buy that dream land of mine, build an "independent" home, have a garage and then the electric equipment needed for these recharges. I am sure this is true for many a middle class Indian.

Sudip
BRFite

Postby Sudip » 20 Nov 2011 10:42

Yogi_G wrote:Staying in a 2nd floor building, I wonder how I can ever manage to recharge a electric car? 8 hours recharge times defeats it all. In TFTA lands with garages it is not at all a problem but I just dont foresee me buying a electric car until I buy that dream land of mine, build an "independent" home, have a garage and then the electric equipment needed for these recharges. I am sure this is true for many a middle class Indian.

Not everyone lives in independent house in TFTA land. I live in los angeles. Its opposite. small 2-3 storey apartment complexes. many families live this way. Also dont foreget EV market also pertains to those who have tight pockets and are getting tired of gas prices, so EV targetted for big garage owners certainly not true

anishns
BRFite

Postby anishns » 21 Nov 2011 01:55

Boss log...when everyone dumps petrol/diesel for Electricity? Won't the consumption of electricity go up? Also increasing the price of electricity....

Sudip wrote:
Yogi_G wrote:Staying in a 2nd floor building, I wonder how I can ever manage to recharge a electric car? 8 hours recharge times defeats it all. In TFTA lands with garages it is not at all a problem but I just dont foresee me buying a electric car until I buy that dream land of mine, build an "independent" home, have a garage and then the electric equipment needed for these recharges. I am sure this is true for many a middle class Indian.

Not everyone lives in independent house in TFTA land. I live in los angeles. Its opposite. small 2-3 storey apartment complexes. many families live this way. Also dont foreget EV market also pertains to those who have tight pockets and are getting tired of gas prices, so EV targetted for big garage owners certainly not true

Return to “Technology & Economic Forum”