Indian Autos Thread

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Indian Autos Thread

Post by jamwal »

Pragati Maidaan was overflowing with visitors even on business days. I dont know what'll happen on 7, 8th when it's open for general public.
Some pictures:

A Mahindra modded by DC

click here for more
Purush
BRF Oldie

Post by Purush »

Tata eMO concept EV.
Looks awesome 8)

http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com/ ... 7_tata.php

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^hmmm that gives me a clue why Tata came calling.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

with suitable mods for general market that eMO with a petrol or diesel engine could compete with the Honda Jazz/I20/Polo type premium hatchback, but being very cab fwd like the Jazz...loads of interior space and folding stuff could be put in.

I hope they get rid of the dated Indica chassis and come up with new stuff like this soon that can attract the young buyers who are flocking to i10/i20/jazz/polo/ford/swift/ritz.....else they will end up like Buick whose avg buyer age is >50.

style, beautiful and subtle body sculpting, rich looking interior materials,......even the honda brio shows a cheap car need not look maruti cheap on the inside.

just count the amt of delicate curves and careful moulding
http://www.asianleaders.org/wp-content/ ... oncept.jpg
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Good to see design finally becoming popular amongst youngistan brigade in India. Without that we cannot make iconic products and instead are resigned to backoffice chaprasi-giri.
Purush
BRF Oldie

Post by Purush »

Exactly, this is a very positive trend.
Until even a few years ago, such things were quite unheard of India and industrial/auto design as a career was given low priority, way below daaktar/injuneer/loyer/itvitty due to lack of opportunities.

We should aim to be the #1 center in the world for auto-design. Relatively low labor costs + plenty of local talent/interest are good factors in our favor.

Would be nice to see the next Jag/Land Rover designed by Indians.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Not just automotive design but industrial design at large. It is amazing how many Koreans and Chinese students are there in top design colleges in massa like Art Center. And some of them are real good, I would say even world class in their instincts and execution though they are still students. It would be great to see more Indians in that flock.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

a good movie animation and toy making industry is also needed to provide such creative people a platform.
anishns
BRFite

Post by anishns »

jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Same news from another source:
Cklck
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

impractical. even CNG outlets for auto ricks are rare in blr with long queues. petrol bunk owners dont make much money for that I think so most are not keen.
Purush
BRF Oldie

Post by Purush »

How safe is it?
Autorickshaws are already deathtraps; sticking a hydrogen tank under the passenger seat (?) may not be very reassuring from a safety POV. :oops:
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

I know of at least 2 people who had broken limbs/near death experiences when the 3 wheelers they were travelling in overturned as a result of super sharp turns in moderate speed. The damn 3 wheelers have CoG issues and are worse than the SUVs and tall boy cars. The ape` "share" autos are worse. I have had dreams of keeping dynamite under these and blowing them all up until I was brought to my senses that entire livelihoods of poor people/drivers depend on these contraptions.
Purush
BRF Oldie

Post by Purush »

Yogi_G wrote:I know of at least 2 people who had broken limbs/near death experiences when the 3 wheelers they were travelling in overturned as a result of super sharp turns in moderate speed. The damn 3 wheelers have CoG issues and are worse than the SUVs and tall boy cars. The ape` "share" autos are worse. I have had dreams of keeping dynamite under these and blowing them all up until I was brought to my senses that entire livelihoods of poor people/drivers depend on these contraptions.
Not only high CoG but zero impact protection+restraint system for the driver and passengers.

Thousands of people depend on autorickshaws for their livelihood, and these also form an essential transportation system in our cities/towns.
So, all the more reason for development of a better solution that provides a safe, non-polluting, reliable and comfortable working environment for the driver and passengers (eg, a subsidised/LI loan enabled Nano).

Something needs to be thought of. One cannot expect to use only autorickshaws forever.
'Progress must be made' for the long term good even if it means stepping on a few toes in the short term.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

I love this one--> The OM symbol in background just makes it all the more awesome.

http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com/ ... ry_d11.php
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Purush wrote:How safe is it?
Autorickshaws are already deathtraps;
You are bullshitting sir, with little knowledge of what is happening in India. Autos are among the lowest in all ways with regard to involvement in traffic fatalities. Simply watching James Bond or knowing someone who saw an auto accident is not enough.

amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

I'd just like to make a general comment, take it for what its worth. Recently I was back in Desh after a two and a half year hiatus. One thing that repeatedly struck me was the style and finishing of the new car models - from both Indian as well as international makers - was several orders of magnitude better. You know things like the paint coat, sideview mirrors and most importantly the interior finishings.

Was eye candy for me, since I was seeing these after a long gap and could compare with previous impressions that I had.

JMT
Purush
BRF Oldie

Post by Purush »

Doc, thanks for the charts.
I stand corrected.
Indeed, it looks like autorickshaws do not play a major role in road accident fatalities in Bangalore.
That is good news.
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

amit wrote:I'd just like to make a general comment, take it for what its worth. Recently I was back in Desh after a two and a half year hiatus. One thing that repeatedly struck me was the style and finishing of the new car models - from both Indian as well as international makers - was several orders of magnitude better. You know things like the paint coat, sideview mirrors and most importantly the interior finishings.

Was eye candy for me, since I was seeing these after a long gap and could compare with previous impressions that I had.
Yep. The notable thing is for any automobile company to compete effectively (in pricing mainly) against Maruti Suzuki,Hyundai and Ford their localization has to be very high and this will most likely include plastics as well. VW is working hard to increase the localization percentage on all their cars. The paint finish on the new Polo is superb. It also shows how we've moved on as an automotive market as well. Fit and Finish is perceived as being very important. The likes of Tata and FIAT have had to pay attention to it as their cars are beginning to get perceived negatively because of poor fit and finish.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Without putting in place a public transport system that middle class will prefer, autos will always be there to fill the gap. Despite fleecing and cheating etc..autos are still a necessity in Chennai. We all curse them for bad driving habits, polluting engines, etc etc etc...but in an emergency we too get an auto.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Gus wrote:Without putting in place a public transport system that middle class will prefer, autos will always be there to fill the gap. Despite fleecing and cheating etc..autos are still a necessity in Chennai. We all curse them for bad driving habits, polluting engines, etc etc etc...but in an emergency we too get an auto.
And unlike in most Massa cities, you can flag an auto anytime and negotiate, In Massa outside NY, Chicago, LA the other cities have pretty small downtown's- outside which you have to call a cab and wait 20 mins. In Chennai autos are there in suburbs round the corner.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Sriman wrote:
amit wrote:I'd just like to make a general comment, take it for what its worth. Recently I was back in Desh after a two and a half year hiatus. One thing that repeatedly struck me was the style and finishing of the new car models - from both Indian as well as international makers - was several orders of magnitude better. You know things like the paint coat, sideview mirrors and most importantly the interior finishings.

Yep. The notable thing is for any automobile company to compete effectively (in pricing mainly) against Maruti Suzuki,Hyundai and Ford their localization has to be very high and this will most likely include plastics as well. VW is working hard to increase the localization percentage on all their cars. The paint finish on the new Polo is superb. It also shows how we've moved on as an automotive market as well. Fit and Finish is perceived as being very important. The likes of Tata and FIAT have had to pay attention to it as their cars are beginning to get perceived negatively because of poor fit and finish.
I think you need to check out the fit and finish of the FIAT Linea before commenting on this...
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

merlin wrote: I think you need to check out the fit and finish of the FIAT Linea before commenting on this...
I haven't seen the fit and finish (interiors) of a Linea but did see a Punto and it didn't seem that good compared to a Swift or an i20. It wasn't bad as such but felt like it could have been better considering the price band it sells in. Gaps, poor quality plastics around the steering wheel etc. I've been told the newer Puntos are much better. FIAT's build quality overall is excellent otherwise and the cars of course are very good looking. I have nothing against FIAT, i think they make good cars. Fit and finish isn't a deal breaker for me anyway. I wouldn't mind buying a 1.4 GP Emotion Pk if i come across a good used one. :)

Funnily enough FIAT has a bad rep with people even though i've heard lot of good feedback from owners. That's the way it goes i suppose. Cheers.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I think fit and finish is important to avoid rattles and looseness once the car has been used a while. it indicates a certain care in the putting together of components esp as modern cars use light and thin parts that are not over engineered. more than outside looks the quality of interior fittings determines your long term feelings about the car.....this is where the high quality of plastics, metal and leather in good cars pull ahead.

the other extreme is the "Willys Jeep" model - minimal to zero avionics, cast iron metalwork, a gear shifter that needs strong hands...
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I thought 225-250hp range would ideal for desi conditions on SUVs. None is getting there yet... same performance and fuel consumption, then why not?

With maasan regulation is the reason why many fuel economic maasan SUVs are surging ahead this year.. the same should be possible by other countries, especially desh where fuel economy and performance are revered.

kitna deta hai is not question I guess.. kaisa banaya hai would be?
narmad
BRFite

Post by narmad »

Fiat to supply diesel engines to Suzuki's India unit
NEW DELHI | Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:59am EST

Italian car maker Fiat said it reached an agreement with Suzuki Motor Corp to supply diesel engines to the Japanese carmaker's Indian unit.
Fiat will supply up to 100,000 diesel engines a year for three years to Maruti Suzuki, 54.2 percent owned by Suzuki.
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

Indian government needs policies for hybrid and electric cars so that our dependency on Petrol reduces and many people start using such cars on the roads.

Global carmakers to go greener, bigger at India auto show
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/ ... 4320120103
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

drool....launching this summer in massa.

Wonder what moniker vina mullah will attached to this :mrgreen:
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

SaiK wrote:I thought 225-250hp range would ideal for desi conditions on SUVs. None is getting there yet... same performance and fuel consumption, then why not?

With maasan regulation is the reason why many fuel economic maasan SUVs are surging ahead this year.. the same should be possible by other countries, especially desh where fuel economy and performance are revered.

kitna deta hai is not question I guess.. kaisa banaya hai would be?
SaiK ji, I have heard that the safari at 140 hp, with full 7 people aboard and on highway hardly struggles and holds its own. This is from my Boss's boss who does road trips to his native across hilly terrain with his whole family in tow. Would we really a need a SUV with 250 hp? Unless you are towing a RV or a boat which in India is only limited to the uber rich and who dont buy the junta SUVs anyway?
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

Hey guy check out few of my click from Auto expo 2012

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also try my blog you won't disappoint

http://unicornindia.blogspot.com/
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Nissan India to export Sunny Sedan from March 2012 even as it expands total production to 4 lakh units a year!
http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/niss ... ear-55024/
Nissan India will begin exporting its C-segment offering, the Sunny Sedan from March 2012, to markets across the globe, beginning with the Middle East market. This latest announcement by Nissan underscores the importance of its Indian manufacturing unit in the overall scheme of things. Nissan India’s Oragadam plant, off Chennai has been a big exporter of cars. In fact, the automaker exported many more Micra hatchbacks than it sold in the domestic market, a clear pointer to the fact that India is soon emerging as a hub of low cost automotive manufacturing to challenge the likes of China and Brazil
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Raja Bose wrote:drool....launching this summer in massa.
Wonder what moniker vina mullah will attached to this :mrgreen:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: .

Bose Mian, drool all you want on this one. But be warned, if you drive the "wrong" Subaru you will set off a lot of "Gaydar" alarms and be hit on like a ton of bricks offering to bowl/play "rebersh swing". For eg, a single woman driving a Subaru Outback will set it clanging off for a lot of "rebersh swingers".

Dunno what that particular car's image will rub on to you if you actually drive it. I think you should expect a lot of offers for you to be pulled "out of the closet".

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

subaru's are very popular in the snow belt of NE usa. I never thought it was a gay/butch icon?
the outdoor crowd usually have skis, tent bags or plastic canoes tied on the roof rack for trips to the slopes or numerous lakes in the region.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Singha wrote:subaru's are very popular in the snow belt of NE usa. I never thought it was a gay/butch icon?
Just google for the word "Lesbaru" :rotfl: :rotfl: .. In fact, Subaru had "Gay Friendly" advertising as they are one of the key target segments for that brand.
the outdoor crowd usually have skis, tent bags or plastic canoes tied on the roof rack for trips to the slopes or numerous lakes in the region.
Subaru makes great cars alright and that 4 wheel drive is great for snowy and wet weather (Pacific N.W is another area where they are quite popular) . But then every other manufacturer (Ford, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, GM etc) have a competing 4 wheel drive unibody (Rav4, CRV, etc) that are pretty competitive as well and not to mention the 4 wd versions of the BMW and MB and other brands too.
MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

Came across this :rotfl: :

Looks like the Hyderabad International airport road.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

being RWD, should be able to push it over even if scraped badly.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Many many moons ago, I had asked if the nano would be a hit as the tag of "poor man's car" had stuck on to it right from the start. It's come true now.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

NEW DELHI: Swedish commercial vehicle-maker Scania today announced that it will invest Rs 150 crore to set up a manufacturing facility in India in the next one year.

The proposed plant in Bangalore will roll out 2,000 heavy haulage trucks and 1,000 inter-city buses and coaches over the next five years.

The company, which has been present in India with a partner, Larsen & Toubro (L&T), since 2007, has now formed a new entity -- Scania Commercial Vehicles India.

"This investment furthers Scania's commitment to the Indian market and this is the right moment for us... This unit will enable us to shorten our lead times and enhance service levels to our customers," Scania Managing Director Henrik Fagrenius said in a statement.

With the Indian commercial vehicles segment likely to register a growth of 8-10 per cent this year, the outlook for the industry is very promising, he added.

The company said it will invest Rs 150 crore in the coming year to set up the plant in Narasapura Industrial Area, Bangalore, and the first truck will be rolled out in 2013.

"Scania foresees a number of benefits with establishing the new plant... This will also go a long way in sourcing of components locally from India," Fagrenius said, without sharing details about component sourcing plans.

This plant will serve as a completely knocked down assembly unit for truck and bus chassis during Phase I of operations.

Bus body-building and service workshops for trucks and buses will also be a part of this facility at a later point of time, the company said.

Talking about the capacity of the facility, Scania said it plans to produce around 2,000 heavy haulage trucks and 1,000 inter-city buses and coaches from this plant within five years.

Once fully operational, the plant will employ up to 800 people over the next five years.

The company also announced that it will sell engines to vehicle manufacturers in India.

"Scania is also preparing to sell engines to its OEM customers. These engines are more compact, resulting in lesser fuel consumption, leading to lower emissions," the firm said without sharing details.

Currently, Scania has several sales and service points through L&T. So far, L&T has distributed over 600 of Scania's heavy trucks in India. This relationship will continue, the company said.

"Scania's direct presence will further boost the company's sales, service, greater variety of models sold and shorter availability time," it added.

The company's new Indian entity will establish a plant for bodywork and undertake the outfitting of trucks and buses, as well as set up a parts depot within the country.