Indian Autos Thread

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Autos Thread

Post by Singha »

what is best way to keep car windows clean? I rubbed with a wet cloth today and when it dried, ugly round spots were left over. needed a lot of effort
with a dry cloth to wipe them off. would a "colin" window cleaner type soln be more appropriate? also the cloth itself being a cheap kitchen flannel thing left wooly fibers behind :((

also while waiting under a patch of trees under a traffic light, maybe the wind and rain loosed lot of raindrops but the spotless car came back with hundreds of round dried waterdrop markings, some splotches of tree sap/flower things :((
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

wash the windows with shampoo and lotsa water, wipe the glases with newspapers,
then when dry can dust off visible specks if any.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Some kind of grime gets deposited on the glass which is very difficult to remove. I find two ways to remove them:

1. Wash first, and then rub hard with newspaper.
2. Easier metiod: First wash of the dirt, dust etc. Then while it is still a bit wet, apply undiluted dish soap to the glass and spread in a circular motion, with a smooth cloth. Do not let it get on the painted surface. If it does, wash that area away immediately. Glass is safe under the hard soap. After 5 minutes, sprinkle water and rub hard, and wash it away. Use a lot of water tho remove all traces of the soap, all the way through the drains.

Use at your own peril. Works fine on my Fiesta
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Bah, just use some micro-fiber cloth or sponge. Even these J-cloths come in micro-fiber nowadays.
Micro-fiber never leaves even the slightest smudge.

Or why not use those rubber-bladed things, that are typically used by window-wipers?
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

what is best way to keep car windows clean? I rubbed with a wet cloth today and when it dried, ugly round spots were left over. needed a lot of effort
with a dry cloth to wipe them off. would a "colin" window cleaner type soln be more appropriate? also the cloth itself being a cheap kitchen flannel thing left wooly fibers behind :((

also while waiting under a patch of trees under a traffic light, maybe the wind and rain loosed lot of raindrops but the spotless car came back with hundreds of round dried waterdrop markings, some splotches of tree sap/flower things
Never , EVER wipe the windshield glass or any auto glass with a "banian"/ "flannel" .. They will scratch the glass, you will see nice round scratches roughly following the rubbing motion of the arm. There is nothing that can be done except replace the windshield glass.

The best options are 1) The rubber "razor" kind of things you get in gas stations like (Shell has them in India) or cost about $10 in WalMart for windshield 2) Chamois to really dry out the droplets out of the body or 3) The best SDRE solution, use a newspaper (dont use a soft tissue type paper , that will leave fibers behind on the windscreen) and wipe . Throw a bucket of water on the area and use a newspaper. Best solution I think.. A grimy banian/towel is the worst that you can use I think.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

pandyan wrote: Take a tiny amount of alcohol in a piece of cloth, cover a small section of the windshield in circular motion until it turns cloudy and wipe it with clean cotton cloth.
Dont. You will find circular scratches soon that follow the exact same circular motion. I talk from experience. I change the windshield in my car recently from the scratches in the windshield put there by the guy who cleans the car using the cloth/wipe method. Use the rubber windshield cleaner instead. That is the best way to do it or use a plain news paper.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I used a fresh but torn undie today. will get myself a proper chamois thing etc from accessories shop tomorrow. got a strange look from a couple of trim trophy wives walking past - the "officer class" in blr seldom if ever does the car cleaning thing :roll:
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Singha wrote:I used a fresh but torn undie today. will get myself a proper chamois thing etc from accessories shop tomorrow.
UNDIE :eek: :eek: :eek: .. No wonder you got the bemused looks from them today.. :lol: :lol:
got a strange look from a couple of trim trophy wives walking past - the "officer class" in blr seldom if ever does the car cleaning thing :roll:
Usually the drivers in the apartment complex do it for money. One of the other drivers in my apartment cleans my car every morning and does a full washing on a weekend for Rs 300 a month. Hire one of them and save yourself the daily morning chore and get to become all "Affsar class"
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I already use one for my other car. but knowing his style want to avoid his efforts on my new one.

I think the scratches are because the cloth picked up sand particles during the body rub and these were not washed off carefully before the glass rub.
no cotton cloth should be able to scratch glass.

generally as a engineer , I find doing it yourself alone in some cases is better than letting a pack of 3 shaky people do it - coz they screw up and you
need to go in and fix the mess anyway later at a time not of your choosing.
chandrasekhar.m
BRFite

Post by chandrasekhar.m »

vina wrote:

also while waiting under a patch of trees under a traffic light, maybe the wind and rain loosed lot of raindrops but the spotless car came back with hundreds of round dried waterdrop markings, some splotches of tree sap/flower things
Never , EVER wipe the windshield glass or any auto glass with a "banian"/ "flannel" .. They will scratch the glass, you will see nice round scratches roughly following the rubbing motion of the arm. There is nothing that can be done except replace the windshield glass.

The best options are 1) The rubber "razor" kind of things you get in gas stations like (Shell has them in India) or cost about $10 in WalMart for windshield 2) Chamois to really dry out the droplets out of the body or 3) The best SDRE solution, use a newspaper (dont use a soft tissue type paper , that will leave fibers behind on the windscreen) and wipe . Throw a bucket of water on the area and use a newspaper. Best solution I think.. A grimy banian/towel is the worst that you can use I think.
My apartment watchman, has been cleaning my car's windshield with the "old banian" cloth since a year, and I havent seen any scratches. Though, the guy cleans it, as if he is touching a extremely delicate surface which will break when he rubs it, that might be why there are no scratches. Is there any specific angle or special lighting needed to observe these scratches?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I solved the issue by giving a driver the contract to wash just the body and avoid the glass, which either me or my son will take care of. sure he is only 6 but quite a trooper and willing to advance up the ranks and keep himself in my good books. and he runs around the house imitating our maid by rubbing and cleaning stuff anyways.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Vento will hence be a notch above the verna/sx4/fiesta and compete head to head with ANHC mainly. its trim levels, engine and interior will be worth comparing. targeted squarely at the yuppie I guess.

tbhp is working itself up into a hysteria over the Altis diesel coming this month. apart from crushing altis petrol, civic, anhc, cruze, laura it is also said to be able to walk on 2 legs and recite nursery rhymes.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

vina wrote:
Dont. You will find circular scratches soon that follow the exact same circular motion. I talk from experience. I change the windshield in my car recently from the scratches in the windshield put there by the guy who cleans the car using the cloth/wipe method. Use the rubber windshield cleaner instead. That is the best way to do it or use a plain news paper.
Eh? Windscreens are built to be tough, they endure far more abuse in regular driving then what rubbing with a "banian" would subject it to. I have used banian type material for ages, no scratches at all. Bit difficult to imagine banians scratching windscreens.

Banians are used to clean eyeglasses too. Has anyone scratched their eyeglasses with banians?
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

I thought with Tata around such nonsense would not be thought of.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

got myself some reliance recron microfiber cloths and a bottle of 3m glass cleaner spray from a reliance autozone outlet nearby. I also agree even a clean cheap banian or fruit-of-loom undie will do. just dont mix the cloth used to rub the body and that of glass, because lower part of body will pickup fair amt of sand and dirt.

Tanaji, I too hate the celeb design culture. was browsing pix of the Umaid bhavan palace in jodhpur - a dreamy place. and to think liz hurley and
nayyar sir practically had their wedding for free there because the tv and newspaper deals they signed would cover the heavy tab. I dunno whats the net contribution of them both to the world.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/48/11053 ... f3_b_d.jpg
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

me had been using old newspapers to clean windshields since ages
have cleaned my Wily's jeep, Premier Padmini, Maarooti yand
so kalled TFTA Beems with it, though Beems people tried selling me
some outta this duniya best of the best kleaning liquid, me said, me poor
man, no can have, but will certainly try if he gift it to me, the look
has remained with me till now, AoA.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

News is out. Bajaj scraps it's low cost car project. Nano is going to be unchallenged in India without a direct competitor.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

isnt nissan planning one?
sampat
BRFite

Post by sampat »

Singha wrote:isnt nissan planning one?
it was in collaboration with Bajaj (Nissan,Renault and Bajaj).
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

I have used banians and old newspapers to clean everything from my grandpa's premier padmini (coloured red on my insistence 8) ) to father's mrooti van to tata indica to my phata honda civic to the tesla roadster I got to "test" for coupla weeks. Banians will leave lint on the windscreen sometimes depending on quality - best is old newspaper to wipe down after the usual soap and water treatment. Also, scratches can occur not due to banian but what is trapped under the banian and getting rubbed with the windscreen. A lot of scratches are not visible while cleaning but once you are seated in the driver's seat they are noticeable due to the angle of the glass.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

400% agree on newspaper. Use TOI if possible. 8)
Ameet
BRFite

Post by Ameet »

Peugeot Said to Consider Revival of Indian Plant Investment

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-0 ... emand.html

PSA Peugeot Citroen, France’s biggest automaker, may revive a plan to set up a manufacturing facility in India to tap surging car demand in the country, according to a person with direct knowledge of the matter.

Peugeot may spend about 700 million euros ($886 million) on the factory with annual production capacity of 100,000 cars in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh, said the person, who asked not be identified because the discussions are confidential. Peugeot executives intend to meet this month to decide on the project, before seeking approval from the carmaker’s board and starting negotiations with the state government, the person said.
Adrija
BRFite

Post by Adrija »

Bhailog, quick question- there was some discussion recently about auto insurance in desh....... what was the outcome? How do the various options compare on cost vs coverage?

My car insurance for my ANHC is expiring this month, was wondering if I should just renew it from the Honda showroom (who have bene pestering me for it), or look out on my own....... would it be worth the additional bother?

TIA
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

^^
Do not take it from the showroom. Directly approach the insurer to get a better deal.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

second that. I got a 10k diff for same coverage from showroom and the insurer directly. it was the same insurer the showroom was fronting for. in a way if you take initially from showroom you get locked into a higher lifecycle rate because each yr the premium comes down by 20% for no claim bonus. so if you start paying 25K and someone with 20K, over a 10 yr ownership the other guy pays less.

your best bet might be to visit another reputed insurer and bargain. also go carefully over the coverages and delete stuff not applicable to you like say insurance for paid driver or passengers if you self drive and your family already has insurance.

in my exp tata aig have been ok . bajaj allianz and sundaram is also probably good. take the car RC and some addr proof, and they should be able to give you cover note right there on payment with cheque.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Singha wrote: you like say insurance for paid driver or passengers if you self drive and your family already has insurance.
A quick question. Does'nt third party insurance also provide cover for people inside the vehicle (at the time of accident)? Ideally what are the insurance provisions which we need to have so that the vehicle, its driver, occupants and the unfortunate soul who managed to jump in front of the vehicle are adequately covered?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

[a] the guy or property who gets hit is always covered by any insurance policy (by law I think)
you and any member of your family driving is covered provided they have good DL
[c] I doubt paid drivers and passengers are covered because its available for a addl "rider" like 500/- ... its better for people to
have a proper mediclaim type policy on their own or via employer than depend on auto insurance for accident and hospitalization
coverage methinks.
[d] also for items like glass, rubber and bumper some insurance policies dont cover and some cover the depreciated value at the
time of the incident. I paid around 15% more to add that rider which will give their full value ... glass and bumper . after all,
they are the most likely to be damaged if anything happens.

if you want to experiment visit the websitie of icici lombard and tata aig and use the online form to generate no obligation quotes. the extra options in the quotes will give you some but not full idea. for full idea you need to talk with the insurance officer and
ask him to explain all the extra riders you can add on etc. some of it is not even properly documented in the websites.

catch them directly, never through dealer - who is just a sales agent taking his cut for free from captive market.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Third party insurance is mandatory if you want to take the vehicle on to public road. Any additional cover (for passengers and vehicle) is optional.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

and most indic insurers point blank refuse to do just the third-party insurance . that premium is low and not much profit.

unlike USA they are not compelled by law to offer just third party insurance also I think. or if there is a law, nobody is enforcing it.
Adrija
BRFite

Post by Adrija »

GD, Dibu saar, thanks a lot........
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

tbhp forum has pic of corolla altis diesel scheduled for july20 launch. 1.4ltr, 100hp diesel engine apparently. should sell better than the petrol version and also strongly into the luxury hotel/taxi market - albeit the petrol corolla and fiesta is what it will mostly sells there now.

meantime the VW vento has a surprising feature. a huge lever near center console using which the front seat can be pushed back and forth by the
rear seat passenger. kids will love playing with that :D
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

A New Detroit Rises in India's South
Car Makers Are Lured by Chennai's Port, Educated Workers and Limited Hassles
CHENNAI, India—This Indian port city, built around a former British fort, in many ways resembles Detroit circa 1910. The metropolis of about five million people is booming as scores of international car makers and suppliers have set up shop. Ford Motor Co., Hyundai Motor Co, Nissan Motor Co., Renault SA, Daimler AG and BMW AG all have converged here.
They are spending billions of dollars to make Chennai one of the world's biggest hubs of small cars for export as well as for increasingly affluent Indians. Soon, the city will turn out close to 1.5 million vehicles a year, more than any one U.S. state made last year. .Car-parts suppliers also are placing big bets on the city, formerly known as Madras. Tire company Michelin SA and window maker Saint-Gobain SA, both of France, are setting up some of their biggest factories globally in Chennai. Germany's Daimler, meantime, is building a multimillion-dollar test track. All the investment has generated jobs for more than 200,000 people and accounts for 12% of the economic output of the state of Tamil Nadu.

The influx of foreigners and foreign money is altering this historic city. In the largely vegetarian region there is little meat for sale. But the Seoul Restaurant is packed with Korean families grilling beef at their tables. The student population at the Chennai American School has quadrupled to close to 800 as new pupils have arrived from the U.S., Japan, Europe and Korea. A sprawling amusement park across the street from the Hyundai factory, a French bakery, evangelical Korean churches and Japanese grocery stores have popped up in recent years
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

See the missing link here ?. The North has Maruti, Honda and a pretty robust auto belt in the Delhi/Gurgaon/Rajasthan/ Punjab belt. The south (always traditionally strong in autos) has the Chennai - Coimbatore (for accessories) belt, even Bangalore managed to clamber on board with Toyota, the Western region(a traditional powerhouse) has the Pune /Chinchwad belt, Gujarat has got into the act strongly with GM and now Nano.

So, WHERE IS EASTERN INDIA ? All you have is the terminally sick, rickety , creaking and reeking of the stench of Nehruvian Socialism and JNU/ISI/DSE/Planning Commission "directed economy" and decay, the old grubby HM (even the Lancer division is in Chennai), assembling Ambassadors!

Is the auto sector just a reflection of the overall picture of India ?. Unfortunately that seems to be so.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

yes that is so. take any industry old or new and same picture. the only good large industry in eastern india is TISCO and some of the PSU townships like bokaro, bhilai, ranchi, OIL/ONGC towns ,OFBs , loco works etc.

general transportation links, power supply, ecosystem of smaller industries, trained manpower for manufacturing, law and order are all weaker compared to other three zones.

hell even the GOI doesnt "control" large swathes of dark territory at the police thana and village school level, not to speak of big industry.

there is no explanation other than sheer mismanagement for the poverty of Orissa and West bengal though - they have good rail and road links,
sea ports to import materials, large cities with good education.....
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

there is no explanation other than sheer mismanagement for the poverty of Orissa and West bengal though - they have good rail and road links,
sea ports to import materials, large cities with good education.....
There is. That is the 30 years of Commie rule in West Bengal. Love it or hate it, West Bengal is the locomotive of economic growth in Eastern India. It traditionally was and it has to become so again.

The Commie rule which basically led to a flight of industry and capital from Eastern India in general and West Bengal in particular, coupled with the attitude that someone else owes them a living and by somehow dispensing "welfare" and glorifying "welfare" receipts as a "right" and not as a shameful thing the destroys self respect and something of last resort , the commies destroyed the self respect and work ethics of labor and put in place a sense of self righteous entitlement and bluster substituting for a honest day's work.

Eastern India will recover only when the commies and their ideological cousins the Naxals are throughly destroyed. But their looming replacement, Mamta di, doesn't seem to inspire any confidence whatsoever. I will predict that she will be a total disaster, with "politics" taking primacy over good governance and sensible decision making and she will be kicked out for good in the election after that and the commies will be firmly back in the saddle. There is really no change or a decent alternative to the commies in Bengal. That is the real tragedy.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

vina wrote:coupled with the attitude that someone else owes them a living and by somehow dispensing "welfare" and glorifying "welfare" receipts as a "right"
We should not blame the commies for following one of the famous quotes regarding communism "Rob the rich, feed the poor... AND.. we communists are the poor". Simple, no? :roll:.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

OT but
Prem wrote:The influx of foreigners and foreign money is altering this historic city. In the largely vegetarian region there is little meat for sale.
:roll:
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

East has Jamshedpur where Tata makes most of it's MCV and HCV trucks. But it is more like an island of sanity than a belt.
satyam
BRFite

Post by satyam »