Indian Autos Thread

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
tchandr
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Indian Autos Thread

Post by tchandr »

KarthikSan wrote:...I hate Tata designers sticking a trunk to the Indica and calling it a sedan :mrgreen:
Karthik sir,
a correction, its sticking a trunk to the indica vista, this is supposed to be the sedan based on vista platform.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

My SHQ sleeps in the front seat and I never wake her up for my own sanity.

Can any auto Ayatollah shed light on the kilometers between scheduled servicing for TATA cars and the maximum kilometers recorded on an Indica engine before re-boring?

Thanks
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

KarthikSan wrote:
Boss,
You want 17 inch wheels on a 1.3l/1.4l sedan? :)
I'll settle for 16's :rotfl:
:D
Don't know about desh these days but 17 inch rims cost a packet when compared to 15 inch ones because production is lower and hence there are fewer third party options.

One design point about the entire Indica-Indigo line up which I don't like the the front lights. They are huge compared to the size of the car IMO. I mean they would look great in a car the size of a Camry or Accord but on these smaller cars - I don't know, kind of puts me off. I can't think of any other car of that class and size which such huge headlamps.

I think these lamps would look better in cars of the size of Tata's concept cars like Elegante, Prima and Xover
saptarishi
BRFite

Post by saptarishi »

whatever you people say manza is longer and broader than,aveo,fiesta and verna
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

amit wrote:
rahulm wrote:BTW, in the MANZA external specifications, whats a "co-driver" , SHQ and the car has dual controls in case she wants to take over?
Don't know about you Boss, but my SHQ already has full control of the car. :)

Lane changes, speed, overtaking - you name it everything is controlled from the front passenger seat. And when I'm on the front passenger seat I have to keep quiet as "one should not distract the driver". :rotfl:
Had SHQ doing this initially, got fed up and since i was anyways going for a tyre replacement brushed up the pavement when SHQ was issuing instructions and then said i was not able to concentrate. Since that day SHQ doesnt talk neither does she allow other passengers to talk to me :D
bart
BRFite

Post by bart »

KarthikSan wrote:Might be a Value for Money sedan but the styling looks yuck IMHO! I hate Tata designers sticking a trunk to the Indica and calling it a sedan and those puny 15" wheels. Throw in a set of good 17" alloys and it might actually look good. :mrgreen:
Get real! It is an Indica Vista with a boot, like Dzire is a Swift with a boot, and Indigo is an Indica V2 with a boot. Puny 15" wheels? Care to look at the competition and what cars in India in that price range offer? Not sure why Indian people in particular find ridiculous flaws with Indian brands but accept the same paying 1 lakh more from a Jap/Korean brand without a whimper of protest.
Gagan wrote:Smart looking car! But I will buy tata only after its been around for a while. After the experience that the Janta has had with the indigo, and safari, I think it is better to wait a while before one plunges into a tata outright.
That is no longer required in Tata cars, it is based on the Vista which is a proven platform. The reputation comes from a decade ago when Tata was new to making cars, it has advanced by leaps and bounds now.
KarthikSan
BRFite

Post by KarthikSan »

bart wrote:
KarthikSan wrote:Might be a Value for Money sedan but the styling looks yuck IMHO! I hate Tata designers sticking a trunk to the Indica and calling it a sedan and those puny 15" wheels. Throw in a set of good 17" alloys and it might actually look good. :mrgreen:
Get real! It is an Indica Vista with a boot, like Dzire is a Swift with a boot, and Indigo is an Indica V2 with a boot. Puny 15" wheels? Care to look at the competition and what cars in India in that price range offer? Not sure why Indian people in particular find ridiculous flaws with Indian brands but accept the same paying 1 lakh more from a Jap/Korean brand without a whimper of protest.
Breathe easy there my friend. Somebody get your Khushpoo today? Go back a few posts and see who was defending the Indica. I said it's my opinion (bolded part) about the new car and I would love Tata to produce something more exciting. You answer my gripe in your little rant there "Like Indigo is an Indica V2 with a boot". That was exactly my point.I never said that the Tata's are worse than their competition. You are not the only defender of all things Indian. Go chill out man! It's Diwali. Have fun.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

its time tata moved away from the basic template shape of the old indica which is there in all their cars to something new. the front end esp needs a good refresh - windscreen, A pillar, bonnet, grill, headlights and bumpers. the side doors and handles could look sharper.

addl expenses in getting the high quality moulds made from japan or soko but will attract more buyers from the other brands - who do a major update every 4-5 yrs.

it needs more appeal to attract young buyers.
saptarishi
BRFite

Post by saptarishi »

any news on bmw z4
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

It was launched in India on 12th of October in Mumbai, and if you lend me 59 Lakhs i will give you a detailed Drive report. :mrgreen:
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

TVS set to launch India’s first auto-clutch bike
Mumbai, Oct. 19 TVS Motor Company is gearing up to launch the country’s first motorcycle with automatic clutch by the end of this calendar year.

This motorcycle will spare the rider of constantly having to engage the clutch to shift gears, which would be a welcome relief in choked traffic conditions.
Umrao Das
BRFite

Post by Umrao Das »

Big deal Yezdi used to have the auto clutch built in, so did pearl yamaha way back in 1960s and 1970s
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Hero honda had one real auto clutch model like two decades ago named street
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

Dileep wrote:Hero honda had one real auto clutch model like two decades ago named street
I think it was called a rotary clutch or gear system IIRC.
Ameet
BRFite

Post by Ameet »

Reva plans electric car plant in NY

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/2 ... -york/?hpw
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Kairali Ford people came to my workplace today to check the power steering hose, which had a 'watch' issued. It seems to be rubbing against the air filter in some units. No problem found in my car. Fiesta 1.6 petrol is the car. Not sure if it affects other engine options.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

pandyan wrote:Suzuki's new mid size offering (Accord/Camry territory). Looks like they have a very good job esp in the handling and aesthetics department.

It will remain a niche player in the US because of spotty dealer network...however, in india it might prove to be a real winner.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/200 ... zashi.html
True, except for one problem that plagued the SX4 as well - an expensive Suzuki? In a market obsessed with Hondas and Toyotas, it has been tough to convince people to cough up 13-17 lakhs for a Maruti Suzuki(Grand Vitara).

Suzuki may have to try out something new. May be they would try dropping the Maruti badging, it has been suggested before IIRC. Anyway they have not been using the Maruti wings on the grills for several years now.
bart
BRFite

Post by bart »

manish wrote:
pandyan wrote:Suzuki's new mid size offering (Accord/Camry territory). Looks like they have a very good job esp in the handling and aesthetics department.

It will remain a niche player in the US because of spotty dealer network...however, in india it might prove to be a real winner.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/200 ... zashi.html
True, except for one problem that plagued the SX4 as well - an expensive Suzuki? In a market obsessed with Hondas and Toyotas, it has been tough to convince people to cough up 13-17 lakhs for a Maruti Suzuki(Grand Vitara).

Suzuki may have to try out something new. May be they would try dropping the Maruti badging, it has been suggested before IIRC. Anyway they have not been using the Maruti wings on the grills for several years now.
Unless it is priced at least 30% less than the Accords/Camrys it will probably not be a success in India, no matter how good it is. For the most part the buyers in that range buy for snob value and would not want to drive a Suzuki, never mind that Camrys and Accords are by no means luxury cars in other parts of the world. If priced cheaply enough it might attract more value-conscious Corolla/Civic buyers who might stretch their budget a bit and go for it.
Abhijeet
BRFite

Post by Abhijeet »

bart wrote:...never mind that Camrys and Accords are by no means luxury cars in other parts of the world.
A nitpick - $40,000 cars (which is what the Accord/Camry are in India) are luxury cars in other parts of the world as well. It's just that you get better cars for that much money in those places, as opposed to India where the taxes convert a $23K midsize car into a $40K luxury car. It's just like magic! :)
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

"the next detroit" ..lets hope its a compliment and not an insult. :!:

India: The Next Detroit?

http://www.truthout.org/101809G
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

VikB wrote:Friends, there is a merit in what Rachel has said. Remember we are SDREs only. Whatever we do is seen by all the world with great envy and Nano certainly didnt only kick the auto Giants but the entire 'Western' world that how can such a revolutionary idea come from the third world country like ours. The concept of 'nano' has taken many myriad implications ever since Ratan Tata unveiled the four wheel beauty.

What i am surprised about is that how can ANY stationary car that has been parked since overnight (the car caught fire early morning) catch fire even by a battery malfunction!! Beats my mech engg brain. I mean, what can generate the spark? Stationary battery, with no heating up (night time), no demand of current - how can it catch fire?

I have seen an Indica go up in flames but it was being driven when smoke started coming out. Same news about Maruti esteem some years agon flaming out on a flyover in Delhi. But never have I come across a stationary car catching fire.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 151483.cms

It was a faulty combination switch apparentlies.
Umrao Das
BRFite

Post by Umrao Das »

Ther are always residual fumes under the hood. One faulty wiring (even if you do it yourself cd player is enough)
in Massa land even cell phones are not allowed at gas stations. (for other reasons also).

Best is buy diesel :mrgreen:
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

After a bumper festival season, Maruti's quarterly profits zoom by 93%
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India's top carmaker Maruti Suzuki warned rising input costs and a stronger yen could put pressure on its margins in the future as it reported a 93 percent jump in quarterly profit on Saturday.

Maruti, 54 percent owned by Japan's Suzuki Motor Corp, met forecasts with a 5.7 billion rupees ($122 million) net result in the quarter to September.
Pretty much every major car maker except M&M-Renault seemed to have had a good festive season. Bodes well for the sector.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

The labor dispute in Gurgaon takes out a Ford plant in Canada, which is facing shortage of transmission parts that were being sourced from the troubled Rico plant in India.
Ford said it will close its Oakville, Ontario, plant, where it manufactures the Ford Edge, Ford Flex and Lincoln MKX, from Oct. 26 to 30.
About 3,000 in workers in Oakville will be affected by the shutdown, said Canadian Auto Workers union local president Gary Beck.

Formal contract talks between the union and Ford on lowering manufacturing costs are scheduled to resume next week, Beck said. The two sides last met formally in September, but have had informal discussions since then.
Expect the protectionist voices to grab this opportunity and bash outsourcing to India and whine about how it is hurting them.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

8) http://www.financialexpress.com/news/na ... ns/534121/

NANO MISHAPS PROMPT BOOKING CANCELLATIONS
Yogima Seth
New Delhi: The two recent incidents of parked Tata Nano cars catching fire have created panic among the prospective buyers resulting in cancellation of bookings. While 12-15% of our bookings were earlier cancelled because of the long waiting period, there has been higher number of queries, and the rate of cancellation has gone up to 20% following the fire incidents were reported last week, an executive with one of Tata Motors biggest dealerships in Delhi said on condition of anonymity.

We have received bookings for 2,000 vehicles. But by now, nearly 400 people have cancelled their bookings. A few are even asking for re-sale of the vehicles, he added.

However, Tata Motors has denied any cancellations post the fire incidents. We have not received any cancellation requests post the incidents that have been reported on Tata Nano, a Tata Motors spokesperson said, adding that there had been some cancellations by those whose deliveries were slated for late in 2010 or by retainees, whose deliveries are scheduled after completion of the allottees.

Tata Motors had in July announced the names of 1,00,000 people who would get the car till March 2011. While the exact numbers are not available, considering a cancellation rate of 15-20%, bookings for nearly 15,000--20,000 vehicles have already been cancelled within less than four months since the first car hit the Indian roads.

There is panic and some degree of dissatisfaction at the customers end who are yet to get their cars, a dealer in Chandigarh said. This panic comes despite the assurance from Tata Motors that it would undertake pre-emptive checks on 7,500 Nanos that have been delivered till date. According to analysts, while this will affect the future rate of bookings for Nano, it is also helping dealers to make money by facilitating resale of the vehicle to other customers.

People have become extra cautious about the car. While those who already own it now are taking their vehicles to the workshop for check-ups, people on the waiting list are preferring to cancel the bookings rather than buy it and get into trouble later, a Mumbai-based analyst said.

People have got so scared after the recent mishaps that 5-10% of those who are about to get the car are talking to dealers for immediate sell off even if it fetches them a premium of Rs 10,000 to Rs 15,000, said a dealer in Ludhiana.
===================

The damn article is filled with sensationalism. Notice how many times the unknonwn 'analyst' have been quoted. I dont understand as to how an 'analyst' can predict the reaction of poeple including the percentage of people who will cancel the bookings. Dont know where they got te 15-20 % cancellation figure. Pure sensationalism!!! :evil: Anyone there who is reading this quote wants to sell his/her Nano, may please contact me.
Last edited by VikB on 28 Oct 2009 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

^^^^^^^

Vik,

All this is major, major psy-ops. IMO there's a concerted campaign to run down the Nano. If the car takes off, then it completely changes the rules of the game as far as small cars go not only in India but the rest of the developing world.

And so expect more and more of these unnamed analysts creeping out of the woodwork. Wouldn't be surprised if the campaign has the backing of major international auto cos.

Damn't there hasn't even been a recall and already they are writing off the Nano. First it was Singur to set back production and now this. Isn't it too much of a coincidence?
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

What is more interesting is that the article fails to mention what the cancellation rate for the industry are on average. If the author really did intend to provide quality journalism and appear unbiased, this would be the first figure that would be given.

I suspect that the cancellation rate for Nano is slightly above the average, but it is due to the high waiting times.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

I suspect that the cancellation rate for Nano is slightly above the average, but it is due to the high waiting times.
And also perhaps due to over-enthusiastic bookinga. Every paanwalla and dhoodwalla have booked a Nano, now there's a rethink?

Unfortunately sensationalism sells and Indian media can teach a thing or two to the British tabloid media about how to cook up a story.
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

Tanaji wrote:What is more interesting is that the article fails to mention what the cancellation rate for the industry are on average. If the author really did intend to provide quality journalism and appear unbiased, this would be the first figure that would be given.

Notice how they have downlpayed the Rs 10-15000 premium the NANO is getting. :D
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

Anyone here has tried the NANO? how is it to drive, handling etc. Will it kill Maruti?
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

Rishirishi wrote:Anyone here has tried the NANO? how is it to drive, handling etc. Will it kill Maruti?
Yup me test drove it. With only the driver in it, it hit 80-90 kmph easily. Handling was fine. Little noise from the engine inside the vehicle. Huge huge space inside for people. Cant say if it would be able to kill Maruti. tatas not making any money on it so they might increase the price next year. Maruti is launching a new vehicle at 1.4 lakhs. Do not have the details but the khabar is true.
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

What else can a company which owed its existance to 'License Raj' do other then peddale Chinese Junk!!
The company is tragetting the price sensitive niche and ex-showroom, Pune start at 5.25 Lakhs.
Ameet
BRFite

Post by Ameet »

The tiny leader of the pack

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/28/busin ... lobal-home

Depending on whom you ask, this tiny company is either the next big thing in automobiles, or a maker of glorified golf carts. What is indisputable is that as the whole automotive world seems to be racing suddenly toward the age of electricity, the Reva Electric Car Company is in the lead, ahead of better-known local competitors like Tata Motors and global giants like General Motors and Toyota.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Went to the Pune Expo a few days ago. TATA had a big stall in the centre of the ground as did Force motors and FIAT.

TATA had the MANZA, Super ACE, 407, Vista, Sumo Grande and off course the NANO on display. Took pictures of all of them.

As you would expect the NANO was the biggest crowd puller. The most common query was if the body was plastic and the TATA staff had permanent magnets coated with duct tape which they used to stick on the body panels to prove it was metal.

TATA expect the NANO be be available off the shelf only in 2011.

Fit and and finish is of a high standard as the pictures show. It does not look cheap. Understandably, the NANO at the Expo was detailed to a show-quality finish.

One of the TATA staff there, a young chap had emigrated to Australia and returned within 6 months because he wanted to work in R&D and create innovative products, something not possible in the Australian auto industry. He is delighted on his decision to return.

He also mentioned the car meets Euro crash standards without air bags.

Here are some pictures of the NANO.. Will post pictures of other products shortly.

The REVA was also on display and pictures will follow soon.
rachel
BRFite

Post by rachel »

Dont blame him for returning from Aussie-land. They do not have much science or tech there, they seem to specialize on selling ore, drinking beer, and racial attacks.

Crocodile Dundee sports a swastika and a high-school diploma at best.
rachel
BRFite

Post by rachel »

Y'know, all these old-line loser firms bringing in cr^p Chinese products. I wish they would just fail rather than bringing in shoddy products from an enemy nation.

I was ticked off at Gujurat based Ajanta, which wants to sell a one-lakh electric car from China.

Reports now seem to indicate they want to BUY the Chinese plant. I cannot see Evil Panda allowing Yindus to buy up their crown assets, there's gotta be a catch somewheres.

http://www.automotiveworld.com/news/env ... nit-report
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

TATA Vista Photos

REVA photos The REVA finish needs to be better.

TATA MANZA The fit and finish is of a high order.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

at a auto show recently saw a tata vehicle whose rear axle had extra wide tires
and a separate looking cabin. maybe it was a mod of the safari. saw the nano too,
suprising amt of interior room. the seat cushions were a bit thin and short.

the mahindra xylo had a disappointing quality of interior fittings and plastic.