Indian Autos Thread

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Vasu
BRFite

Re: Indian Autos Thread

Post by Vasu »

Mahindra Reva sees 3-fold rise in average monthly sales
Boosted by incentives announced by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), car maker Mahindra Reva Electric Vehicle (MREV) has recorded a three-fold rise in average monthly sales in the last three months.

“Following the 20 per cent subsidy announced by MNRE, average monthly sales for the December-February period have tripled, compared to the average sales in the April-November period,” R Chandramouli, chief of operations, MREV, said.

The company, which plans to sell 3,000 units in the coming financial year, recorded annual sales of around 600 units in the past few years, with average monthly sales of 50 units.

Chandramouli, however, refused to comment on how many units were sold in the period between December and February.“As a private limited company, we don’t give sales figures. However, there has been a three-fold rise in sales and we hope sales will continue to rise. We expect to sell close to 3,000 units in the next financial year,” he said. MNRE had announced a Rs 95-crore incentive scheme in November 2010, providing incentives of up to 20 per cent on ex-factory prices of electric vehicles sold in India for the remainder of the XI Plan. According to the notification, the government would subsidise 140 electric passenger car units, and the figure would be raised to 700 units in the next few financial years, apart from subsidies to other electric vehicles. However, the subsidy would have a cap of Rs 1,00,000 for an electric car.

“The subsidy has brought down the price of REVAi by around Rs 75,000. A non-AC version, which was earlier priced at Rs 3.9 lakh, is now available for Rs 3.2 lakh, while the price for an AC version is Rs 3.7 lakh, compared to Rs 4.5 lakh earlier,” he said.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

not sure if this will come out as predicted..

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/cnbc-t ... 32352.html
Land Rover eyes pound 1bn profit this year: Sources

from the same source
"The automobile major might also be looking at a new engine plant for Jaguar and Land Rover, which could come up in India and UK. These plants would make smaller engines for Evoque and Jaguar. Tata Motors will soon announce its plans with regards to the Indian plant."
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Lots of activity in the luxury sports and sports super car category. Buggati Royale got launched a couple of months back, Koenigsegg and Lamborghini models launched last month and this month it will be Ferrari, Maserati and Aston Martin.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Honda is selling its 250cc 1-cylinder dohc bike in India starting 1.7 L which is a decent price for what is a full imported bike at present. its price tag makes it semi-affordable for the ethusiast atleast though local manufacture might surely bring costs down via avoidance of customs tariff.
http://www.honda2wheelersindia.com/cbr250r/index.html

great looking beast and definitely a magnet for kids who can afford (or rather their dads can afford)
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

My friend recently joined Reva and he got a nice lemon green unit. His SHQ Loves it!!. He said lots of ladies buy them.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

most apt parking lots here do not have electric outlets because its not metered per flat in common areas.

so only people with independent house can buy Reva and charge it. thats a key limitation in apartment dwelling nations like korea, india, brazil...
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Singha wrote:Honda is selling its 250cc 1-cylinder dohc bike in India starting 1.7 L which is a decent price for what is a full imported bike at present. its price tag makes it semi-affordable for the ethusiast atleast though local manufacture might surely bring costs down via avoidance of customs tariff.
http://www.honda2wheelersindia.com/cbr250r/index.html

great looking beast and definitely a magnet for kids who can afford (or rather their dads can afford)
Today's generation is lucky. During my times the SDRE's just had the CD 100's or at most the RX 100 for those who wanted to show off.
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

Maruti's Kizashi is on the road..Appears different & appealing..You mullahs think Kizashi will sell? Priced at 16-17 Lakh, who is going to buy a Maruti when couple of lakh more they could get an Accord, for a couple of Lakh less, Cruze and for the same prize Laura? Latter two Diesel. Maintenance & service may be cheaper with a brand name that exudes reliability & decades of emotions, but at this price, I don't think maintenance, service are a factor and Maruti's brand name might not appear fashionable on a 17 lakh car. :-?
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Well, JLR posted a billion pound profit. Tata Motors have hit pay dirt with that acquisition and me thinks, they will expand the Jaguar portfolio to compete with the BMW 3 and Merc C class and hit the sweet spot in the entry luxe market.

The JLR product momentum seems to be boosted now and lot more vehicles in the works. The JLR acquisition is a once in a lifetime opportunity and now with Tata Motors riding out the worst, it seems like a brilliant acqusition.. and I suspect in a few years we will see something similar with the Corus acquisition of Tata Steel!

Hmm. Dhoti clad Yindoo Banias succeed where Japanese, Tuetons and AmirKhans skiied downhill and took big losses? Who would've thunk that?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

volkswagen india has turned in a amazing show in march. 4000 units each of Polo and Vento sold.
and they are bringing in 170hp, 2.0L diesel Passat for 20.5L which is a very competitive price vs the accord and skoda superb.

honda city has got the ugly new acura style front air grille

corolla altis facelift looks minor

kizashi will likely be a dud.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

There is a huge gap between the "around 200 cc made in India" products and the "650cc plus imported as CKD by phoren company". There are a lot of high end CKD units available now from almost all major international makers.

Bajaj was the first one to get the 250cc Ninja in as CKD at 2.75 L. Honda has now brought in a a 250cc (albeit single, compared to the twin engined ninja) at a price of 1.5 L. This will surely eat into not just the higher priced Ninja numbers, but also the high priced 200cc offerings from Yamaha and Bajaj etc. It might even eat into the touring market who balk at the sub-par quality products from Enfield.

I am expecting good numbers for this one. Other makers have to scramble to beat this.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

We wanted to go to a shopping place on the highway near electronic city. I was in his car, and we had to drive around looking for parking space. The SHQs in Reva happily parked at the bike parking, and was already into piling up stuff before we walked in, covered in sweat and dust.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

suzuki owns maruti fully now I think. so the name is moot.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Vipul wrote:Lots of activity in the luxury sports and sports super car category. Buggati Royale got launched a couple of months back, Koenigsegg and Lamborghini models launched last month and this month it will be Ferrari, Maserati and Aston Martin.
mmm.....Maserati.

Being in Mumbai, looking forward to seeing some of these zipping around me as I drive past the slums and stinky creeks to my overpriced shabby apartment. :)
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

mmm.....Maserati.

Being in Mumbai, looking forward to seeing some of these zipping around me as I drive past the slums and stinky creeks to my overpriced shabby apartment.
Pah! You guys are so behind the scene. In BLR, the 'Umble Farmer's son has a white Maserati. At the end of the road from his house a JLR dealership has opened. Very convenient I suppose to stock up on a couple of Jag XLRs and Land Rovers in case he wanted a few.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

vina wrote:
mmm.....Maserati.

Being in Mumbai, looking forward to seeing some of these zipping around me as I drive past the slums and stinky creeks to my overpriced shabby apartment.
Pah! You guys are so behind the scene. In BLR, the 'Umble Farmer's son's house has a white Maserati parked there. At the end of the road from his house a JLR dealership has opened. Very convenient I suppose to stock up on a couple of Jag XLRs and Land Rovers in case he wanted a few.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

The auto industry seems to be going great guns lately. We topped the 1 million mark in passenger car production in 2004, but in 2010, the total production was 2.9 million passenger cars and 3.6 million in total. The annual growth rate in 2010 was 30% for cars and 55% for commercial vehicles. We should be well over 3 million cars/year this year, with total vehicle production over 4 million. Amazing. Back in 1995 or so, about 100,000 cars were sold annually - now it's 30x that figure :)
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Indeed we have crossed the 3 million figure mark, one year ahead of the earlier estimates.We have overtaken Brazil to become the Sixth largest producer and by 2015 are projected to be the 3rd largest.
Jaeger
BRFite

Post by Jaeger »

vina wrote:
Pah! You guys are so behind the scene. In BLR, the 'Umble Farmer's son's house has a white Maserati parked there. At the end of the road from his house a JLR dealership has opened. Very convenient I suppose to stock up on a couple of Jag XLRs and Land Rovers in case he wanted a few.
Just last night I passed by freedom park where the protest was going on and what do I see floating by my left window is a goddamn Aston Martin convertible with two elderly gentlemen in it... damn...
Abhijeet
BRFite

Post by Abhijeet »

Driving in some areas of Mumbai now it's hard to go a minute without seeing a Mercedes, BMW or Audi.

Refined cars have not brought in more refined driving habits, sadly, although people do still stop at red lights even at night.
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

Automakers charged up for green drive
http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... ve/429431/

2013 Audi A3 e-Tron could go 90 miles/144 Kms on a single charge!
http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/2013 ... rge-35110/
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Vipul wrote:Indeed we have crossed the 3 million figure mark, one year ahead of the earlier estimates.We have overtaken Brazil to become the Sixth largest producer and by 2015 are projected to be the 3rd largest.
The domestic passenger vehicle sales was infact 2.5 million for the FY 2010-11. India is now the 2nd largest manufacturing hub for Hyundai , and its primary location for development and manufacturing of small cars that it exports to other countries.Unfortunately, the rampant unionized labor problems will deter new investment in the automotive sector. The lynching of senior executive in Coimbatore and Graziano transmission CEO in Delhi serves as a reminder that we have a lot of work to do on the labor front if we are to become a serious auto manufacturing and export hub.

Yes, we've come a long long way from 1995 when the annual car sales stood at 190 thousand. Thats almost 12 fold increase in 15 years. Then again, we have more than quadrupled our GDP in that period, and unfortunately added 250 million more people to our already over crowded nation.

While we at numbers, China sold a whooping 1.35 million new cars in March! They are on track to beat last years record of 18 million passenger vehicles this year.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Cooper Corp's LCV to take on Tata Ace.

Engines and component maker Cooper Corporation is looking to launch an indigenously-developed light truck next year to take on the market leader, the Tata Ace.

The company is looking to tap into the demand pool for four-wheeled products which can carry a payload of 0.5-1.5 tonne and be extensively used in villages and towns. The company will spend Rs 130-140 crore as development cost of the light commercial vehicle (LCV), most of which is developed in-house. The cost of development of its engines, which the company has developed in partnership with Ricardo of the UK, is additional. Some aspects related to the vehicle's design and engineering is outsourced.

Farrokh N Cooper, chairman and managing director, Cooper Corporation said, "We have completed the work on engine and work on the LCV is on. We are trying to meet the deadline of the Auto Expo (2012), but the vehicle will be launched only next year."

There will be at least six variants of the LCV, including passenger versions. Another Tata Motors product, Magic, has the lead in this segment. All products will be branded as Cooper.

The company has developed a 1.5 litre engine, which has naturally aspirated and turbo charged variants. The diesel-fired twin cylinder engine can generate peak power of 55 bhp in the turbo-charged model.

The company is setting up a manufacturing facility in Satara, Maharashtra, with an initial capacity for 20,000 units per annum. This capacity, according to Cooper, will have to be increased by at least 50 per cent anticipating the spurt in demand for such vehicles.

As part of its expansion plan, the company is also looking to hit the capital markets before the end of this year to raise a minimum of Rs 150 crore. Most of the proceeds will be used towards expanding the manufacturing capacity and towards product development.

"Our growth has been 30 per cent last year and we are targeting a turnover of Rs 500-600 crore in the next two years, aided largely by revenues generated by the engine business. We will likely file a draft red herring prospectus in the next six months," said Cooper.

The LCV segment has seen interests from most vehicle majors, including Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M), Ashok Leyland-Nissan, Force Motors, Hindustan Motors, Piaggio and Asia Motor Works. These vehicle are priced in the range of Rs 2.5-3-5 lakh.

While M&M saw demand for its Maxximo light truck swell to more than 3,000 units, Ashok Leyland-Nissan recently launched a LCV developed by the joint venture christened Dost, which would be launched in the second quarter of this year.

Tata Motors sells more than 20,000 units of the Ace and Magic every month.
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

Nice BBC photo report on Tata Nano

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13090641
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

VW polo and vento seem to be selling in vast numbers, but hardly any sign of Etios.
a hyundai is finally bringing in new Verna.

both vento and verna should cut into sales of the overpriced city...infact vento has already crossed city in monthly sales.

and ford should bring in a new fiesta .... people need competition.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

^^It's here: TBHP Link
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

uh oh underwhelming...cheap interior plastics...looks like baby ford taurus of old mixed with hyundai i4 engine cover.

hopefully the verna will be better. I could barely wiggle into the driver seat of the verna and city when I tried. in the city, the roof and windscreen seam was about 1.5" from my head, _after_ depressing driver seat to lowest position. .. there was no way I could drive those cars comfortably.

Dileep sir when are you getting that Vento ? from being a VW critic I heard you were a recent convert?

does any car here below 10L use good quality interior materials....? even the 12L Innova uses dated plastics that hark back to mid 1990s toyotas in US.
Purush
BRF Oldie

Post by Purush »

Every morning and evening, I pass by the JLR/Bentley showroom here. Apart from some awesome jags, including an all-black XKR, they also have a black/orange Bugatti Veyron supersport and a cherry red McLaren F1 (the greatest car ever made) side-by-side safely behind the glass wall, cruelly taunting me twice a day :((
Purush
BRF Oldie

Post by Purush »

Lol, I also see a GMC deLorean daily in an exotics showroom near my apt. Wonder who'll buy it.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

damn the injustice of it all ? dont you want to strap on a soocide belt and teach them a lesson ? :rotfl:

I feel the same taunt and insulting eyes on me everytime I pass by the nikon showroom and see the D7000...telling me that I am a failure and not man enough to afford one....insulting my manhood....making me lose face in front of munna peers :oops:

I guess everyone has their pet peeves
Purush
BRF Oldie

Post by Purush »

Er, i am afraid to even go near the showroom, they may sue this tattered shalwar-wearing, unkempt SDRE for glancing at the veyron the wrong way. :oops:
I estimate that with the SG markup,COE etc it costs about SG$4-5 million :((
The F1 may be slightly 'cheaper'..I'd guesstimate SG$2-3 million. :)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the paragon mall on orchard road drop off/pickup area is a great place to catch the wealthy and well heeled - both people and cars.

maybe slink in a corner somewhere nursing a fries and burger.
Purush
BRF Oldie

Post by Purush »

Singha wrote:the paragon mall on orchard road drop off/pickup area is a great place to catch the wealthy and well heeled - both people and cars.

maybe slink in a corner somewhere nursing a fries and burger.
Yeah, Orchard Rd is a good stretch for catching exotics...a steady stream from the nearby high-end residential areas. And the slim and well-toned PYTs flitting from shop to shop stocking up on the latest Hermes/Gucci/Prada paid for by their sugar-daddies.

The eastern part Siglap/marine parade is another great place (many gora expats there) for catching high-end exotics. No PYTs there though.
The roads leading out of the CBD are also good spotter locations in the evening ~ 1800h when the aaphices shut down and all the yumbeeaayes and 'investment managers' drawing fat salaries + bonuses head home. I was shocked by the number of Bentleys I saw streaming out of the financial district last week while waiting for a cab there. :shock:

However, all the exotic car show rooms are within 10 min walking distance of my place (2 min by MRT/bus)...so I get to experience the cruel mocking 2x on a daily basis...Audi R8s, tons of Lambos, Ferraris, GT-Rs, Alfas, high-end mercs, Aston-Martins, BMWs, Bentleys, Rolls-Royces, Jags..all neatly laid out in rows behind high-strength glass, and some outside. :((
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

which city are you all talking about?
Purush
BRF Oldie

Post by Purush »

Singapura, saar. Apologies for the slightly OT talk.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

Singha wrote:uh oh underwhelming...cheap interior plastics...looks like baby ford taurus of old mixed with hyundai i4 engine cover.

hopefully the verna will be better. I could barely wiggle into the driver seat of the verna and city when I tried. in the city, the roof and windscreen seam was about 1.5" from my head, _after_ depressing driver seat to lowest position. .. there was no way I could drive those cars comfortably.

Dileep sir when are you getting that Vento ? from being a VW critic I heard you were a recent convert?

does any car here below 10L use good quality interior materials....? even the 12L Innova uses dated plastics that hark back to mid 1990s toyotas in US.
Singha Saar, Saw the new Fiesta being tested on the Chennai- Tiruchi highway and the car looks smaller than the current Fiesta and the engine not a scorcher.

On the new Verna from Tbhp, don't seem to have sorted the handling issue out in the new version.
Hyundai probably has better interiors on its Indian car than most other brands in the sub 10L segment. BTW, how did you find the over priced Jazz?
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Singha, looking at the e-khanomics, changing the car doesn't look a viable option. I am not sure if you can call 'convert' when someone goes from 'abhor' to 'wouldn't mind'.

The current ride, 4 year old Fiesta 1.6 is going well. Looks like she would serve for a few more years. Anyway, if the current gig closes down, it is highly likely to end up with a company provided car.
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

New Audi Showroom on Anna Salai in Chennai. I pass it twice every working day. Bang opposite is the DSC Hyundai Showroom from where I bought my Dhanno.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

toyota india has announced a 70% production cut and Honda india 50% due to difficulties with the production chain of suppliers in japan now.