Indian Education System

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Indian Education System

Post by ArmenT »

AnimeshP wrote:School boards ready to kick leather, give canvas a shoo-in
Seen as “environmentally hazardous”, “unhealthy” and an “uncomfortable” vestige of the colonial empire, black, shiny leather shoes may soon be off school campuses across India. Instead, white canvas shoes, so far reserved for Physical Education lessons, may take their place in school uniform sets.
My school in Chennai had black leather Bata shoes as the uniform when I was in 1st and 2nd grade I think. By the time I hit 3rd grade, we'd gone from only VI grades to Matriculation standard, so school year changed and so did the uniform. We went to canvas shoes probably by 3rd grade or shortly after. Brown canvas shoes on most days and white canvas shoes (along with all white uniform) on wednesdays, sports days and national days. Leather brown shoes were strictly a no-no. Only kid I remember who wore them was a new guy in 9th grade whose dad was someone high up in a major industry. He was pulled up for odd uniform and had to switch to SDRE brown shoes like the rest of us. The shoes allowed by uniform code were a choice of brown canvas or coffee-and-brown canvas "bullet" shoes. I, for one, was glad for the switch to canvas shoes. Those black leather Bata shoes were murder on hot days and much heavier as well.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

My school in Chennai had black leather Bata shoes as the uniform
Pah.. Shoes.. All you guys are so "posh". My school had "Sandals" (you couldn't wear the rubber bathroom slippers though) and shoes (optional). So most SDREs wore some leather/synthetic sandals and the more TFTA types wore sneakers (Reebok, Nike, "Power", whatever).

After school when I went to college, I graduated from "sandals" to "uniform" , which consisted of rubber bathroom chappals, a worn out faded pair of jeans , threatening to come apart any day, and a "white" Mardi Gras T shirt or some other T shirt. .. :(( :(( .

In fact, I once took my Grandpa to college and he was shocked. Being the old style Army Affsar, who joined the Army before independence and when it was largely brit officered, he was very very old school. He insisted on proper table manners, correct use of cutlery and turned up his nose at all this "jeans" business of the younger generation (In the Army we had overalls that looked like this in our maintenance workshops for Tanks and other vehicles).. I think he was expecting an NDA style, all spit and polished, trim and proper, well dressed and well behaved set of folks.

When he saw these SDREs dressed like down in the heel (which we were of course) hippies (most had no sense of style and a visit to the barber was a once in 6 month affair) and cussing and swearing like sailors, he was appalled. His words were.. My God, Is this the "cream" of the country ? You guys look like riff raff and are a bunch of "hippies". Hippy was a particularly "bad" word for him.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

pvt higher education in india is owned by the political class and their business all-lies mostly. just take 50 pvt colleges and see who are the owners.
its also a profitable business if run properly.

why would they be keen to allow foreign entrants into the market and giving up captive audience?
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

AnimeshP wrote:School boards ready to kick leather, give canvas a shoo-in
Seen as “environmentally hazardous”, “unhealthy” and an “uncomfortable” vestige of the colonial empire, black, shiny leather shoes may soon be off school campuses across India. Instead, white canvas shoes, so far reserved for Physical Education lessons, may take their place in school uniform sets.

A proposal to the effect, moved by MP and animal rights activist Maneka Gandhi, is learnt to have found favour with the prominent school boards Central Board of School Education (CBSE) and Council for the Indian School Certificate Examination (CISCE).

Most schools in the country — private and government — have been stipulating black leather shoes as mandatory items in school uniform for years now. The People For Animals (PFA), which has been spearheading an anti-leather campaign, says the largest group of leather users are schoolchildren. PFA’s campaigns have already influenced 16 schools in Chennai to stop use of leather shoes, while a similar campaign is on in Chandigarh.
OMG I love this idea.. I hated those leather shoes with all my energy when in school. Up to 7th grade it was compulsory and most of us would find some excuse,, and often times intentionally creating a wound on the foot ... so we could convince our school teachers why we did not wear those leather shoes. I loved my satuardays... more becuase i could wear the flip flops... Imagine wearing leaterh shoes in a place like Bellary (hottest distrcit in Karnataka) in Feb/Mar/Apr months..

Fortunately, in high school I was in RK Mission residential school and we were bare foot almost always except sports...

Unfortunately many of the schools in smaller towns and even bigger villages are blindly copying this and expect students to wear leaterh shoes and ties.. which I find most idiotic....
sugriva
BRFite
Location: Exposing the uber communist luddites masquerading as capitalists

Post by sugriva »

While right in idea, yet this is not something that school boards should bother themselves with. What uniform one should wear to class should be determined by the school not the board. Tommorrow what, board mandated saris for girls and dhotis for boys?
naren
BRFite

Post by naren »

Floating school for children of Indian fishermen
Indian fishermen who cannot afford to educate their children are being given the chance to send them to a special floating school.

A university professor in the holy city of Varanasi came up with the idea, saying it was the only way the children would have access to education.
naren
BRFite

Post by naren »

vina wrote:
My school in Chennai had black leather Bata shoes as the uniform
Pah.. Shoes.. All you guys are so "posh". My school had "Sandals" (you couldn't wear the rubber bathroom slippers though) and shoes (optional).
Ah... the proverbial "kakkoos chappal". :rotfl: :rotfl: Pure SDRE tech only 8)
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

National defence university gets govt nod.

Eight years after a recommendation by a group of ministers, the government Thursday sanctioned Rs.295 crore for establishing an autonomous defence university in Gurgaon to synergise strategic planning and analyses keeping in view the country's geopolitical objectives and national security.

"The union cabinet accorded 'in-principle' approval for setting up of the Indian National Defence University (INDU) as a fully autonomous institution to be constituted under an act of parliament," Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni told reporters after a cabinet meeting chaired by Manmohan Singh.

"There is need to educate and adequately prepare national security leaders to enable them look at strategic security challenges in a holistic manner and formulate policies based on research and informed inputs," an official explained.

Towards this end, the National Defence College (New Delhi), the College of Defence Management (Secunderabad), the Defence Services Staff College (Wellington) and the National Defence Academy (Khadakwasla) "will be brought under the ambit of INDU", the official explained.

The cabinet also accorded approval for acquisition of 200 acres of land at Binola in Gurgaon, on the outskirts of the national capital, for the proposed site of INDU at an estimated cost of Rs.100 crore.

"INDU will undertake long term defence and strategic studies and create synergy between academic community and government. (It) will educate national security leaders on aspects of national security strategy, national military strategy, national information strategy and national technology strategy through teaching and research," an official statement said.

"It will also promote policy oriented research on all aspect relating to national security as an input to strategic national policy making," the statement added.

INDU's creation was among the recommendations made in 2000 by a committee headed by noted security expert K. Subrahmanyam that examined the Indian Army's operations during the 1999 Kargil conflict with Pakistan.

A group of ministers had cleared the proposal in 2002. The US, China and several other countries already have institutions like INDU.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

vina wrote: When he saw these SDREs dressed like down in the heel (which we were of course) hippies (most had no sense of style and a visit to the barber was a once in 6 month affair) and cussing and swearing like sailors, he was appalled. His words were.. My God, Is this the "cream" of the country ? You guys look like riff raff and are a bunch of "hippies". Hippy was a particularly "bad" word for him.
I just hope he didn't find any madrassa worthies picking their nose in public, scratching their butt absent mindedly with the same hand and then wandering off. Must have shaken the old soldier to the core to think this is what he fought for. :mrgreen:

One of my grandfathers was of phata pyjama variety (being a Professor) - he even has a pic with a Nobel Laureate wearing a coat with a conspicuously large hole in it. The other grandpa was TFTA in public due to similar bg as vina's but at home he would be in his lungi (again with a few conspicuous holes in it). To this grandpa "Hippy" was a dirty word.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Will There Be an Indian Harvard?
Some in India are hoping that inviting in foreign universities will solve the country's higher education crisis. It'll take a miracle.
BY SUDIP MAZUMDAR | MAY 13, 2010
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... an_harvard

India is currently confronting a dilemma that threatens to stop the country's impressive economic expansion in its tracks: an acute shortage of trained manpower. To provide the country with a much-needed injection of skilled engineers and managers, India's leaders have embarked on an ambitious effort to encourage foreign higher educational institutions to open campuses on their soil.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's government has proposed legislation, which the Indian Parliament is expected to enact into law, paving the way for foreign universities to set up branches in India. They will have a vast pool of aspirants to choose from: 88 out of every 100 Indian students who graduate from high school don't go on to higher education. And though this number is projected to fall to 70 out of 100 by 2020, that will still leave large numbers of Indians out of higher education.

But India's higher education crisis is one of quality, not quantity. According to government statistics, India boasts 22,480 colleges and universities, which churn out nearly 500,000 technical and science graduates every year. But smothering government control, lack of infrastructure, and a shortage of highly trained faculty often produce graduates who lack the skills needed to join the workforce.

Indian industrialists routinely complain about the quality of the recruits. According to India's National Association of Software and Service Companies, only 10 to 15 percent of college graduates, and 25 percent of graduates from technical institutes, are suitable for employment in the outsourcing industry. "We are often disappointed with some of our fresh engineering recruits," says Debasri Ghosh, CEO of the Kolkata-based Unit Construction Company. "We have found them sometimes totally clueless about practical challenges on construction sites."
naren
BRFite

Post by naren »

^^^ As if that it will improve the quantity :-? Foreign universities are in to harvest the TFTA crop right before anyone else. They are not concerned about mass producing qualified engineers. Why doesn't GOI get it through their thick skulls ???

Its EIC all over again. About a century back, cotton was cultivated in India, exported to Britain, processed & manufactured there and sold back to India. Now, cotton is replaced with Indian brains. The foreign universities are the ports and ships through which these crops will be exported to MNCs. They will form the backbone of cutting edge research, technology and whatnot. The products created by them will be sold back to India and all other third world countries. :evil:

As long as India sucks up to the Western world, no hope for us SDREs. ("Will There Be an Indian Harvard?"... come on... )
SK Mody
BRFite

Post by SK Mody »

Does anyone know the status of institutions such as the following with respect to govt. recognition, reputation, quality of courses offered, quality of faculty and so on:

ICFAI (Originally called Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts of India)
IIBM (International institute of Business Management).

A year or two ago, there was a reasonably detailed entry on Wikipedia on ICFAI. Going through its web site suggests that it is a well established and reputed institute. I suggested to someone that she should take the distance learning courses from there. Now however, the Wikipedia entry has been reduced to this. Apparently someone in govt. is not satisfied with its credibility.

IIBM also seems to be a credible institute, but does the govt. think so? - and what are the implications?

According to to this notice, the UGC only recognizes only 59 private universities - which is hilarious to say the least.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

SK Mody wrote:According to to this notice, the UGC only recognizes only 59 private universities - which is hilarious to say the least.
Yes,
that is right. What is hilarious in that? Also notice that ALL of them have been started 2000 and later.

Establishing a university is an act of law. So it requires that either Parliament of India or the state legislative establishing a seperate act for every university.

Chattisgarh tried to sneak in one single act through which it established 20+ universities. Most of these were derecognised by UGC.

Remember even the IIMs are not degrees as they are not universities. They are diplomas.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

ravi_ku wrote:
SK Mody wrote:According to to this notice, the UGC only recognizes only 59 private universities - which is hilarious to say the least.
Yes,
that is right. What is hilarious in that? Also notice that ALL of them have been started 2000 and later.

Establishing a university is an act of law. So it requires that either Parliament of India or the state legislative establishing a seperate act for every university.

Chattisgarh tried to sneak in one single act through which it established 20+ universities. Most of these were derecognised by UGC.

Remember even the IIMs are not degrees as they are not universities. They are diplomas.
Actually , under section 3 of UGC act there is a provision of "deemed to be University" by which UGC can provide grants to institutions of Historical importance and sceintific excellence financial support. As UGC name goes, it means University Grants Commission, so in absence of that clause it would not have provided grants to any institutions other than a University. By virtue of section 3 , it has usurped the power of Legislative body to setup Universities under statutory laws ( rightly pointed out in your post).
2(f) “University” means a University established or incorporated by or under a Central Act, a Provincial Act or a State Act, and includes any such institution as may, in consultation with the University concerned, be recoginsed by the
Commission in accordance with the regulations made in this behalf under this Act.

3. The Central Government may, on the advice of the Commission, declare by notification in the Official Gazette, that any institution for higher education, other than a University, shall be deemed to be a University for the purposes of this Act, and on such
a declaration being made, all the provisions of this Act shall apply to such institution as if it were a University within the meaning of clause (f) of section 2.
UGC has misused its powers and encroached upon autonomy of universities and promoted spurious/dubious institutions in the name of Deemed to be University. As you pointed out all this started by 2000 and most of them would be in South India. UGC is no less different than MCI, its a matter of time before it is replaced by some other Institution like NCHER. National Knowledge Commission had recommended the same and opposed tooth and nail by UGC in various meetings. I know of many examples where state govts were not at all consulted before giving recognition as deemed to be university to undeserving cases. , not that state govts are any clean. Needless to say, UGC has become another den of corruption and needs to clean its acts before it is too late for them.

Chattisgarh had different story. Since University comes under concurrent list of the Constitution , Central Govt ( meaning President of India) consent and assent is required before a Bill is presented in Assembly and passed as a law. They did not do it. So the act was itself ultra-vires. UGC merely acted as an arm of the central govt in this case. MHRD had issued required directions, as GOI is entitled to issue under constitution and if states disobey then you know what. BJP govt could not have afforded this. SO they relented having defaulted on procedural grounds.

Supreme court judgment
The consistent and settled view of this Court, therefore, is that in spite of incorporation of University as a legislative head being in the State List, the whole gamut of the University which will include teaching, quality of education being imparted, curriculum, standard of examination and evaluation and also research activity being carried on will not come within the purview of the State legislature on account of a specific Entry on co-ordination and determination of standards in institutions for higher education or research and scientific and technical education being in the Union List for which the Parliament alone is competent. It is the responsibility of the Parliament to ensure that proper standards are maintained in institutions for higher education or research throughout the country and also uniformity in standards is maintained.

In view of the discussions made above, Writ Petition (C) No. 19 off 2004 (Prof. Yashpal & Ors.v. State of Chhattisgarh & Ors.) and Writ Petition (C) No. 565 of 2003 (Gopalji Agarwal Vs. Union of India & Ors.) are allowed and provisions of Section 5 and 6 of the Chhattisgarh Niji Kshetra Vishwavidaylaya (Sthapana Aur Viniyaman) Adhiniyam, 2002 are declared to be ultra vires and are struck down. As a consequence of such declaration, all notifications issued by the State Government in the Gazette in the purported exercise of power under Section 5 of the aforesaid Act notifying the Universities (including respondent nos.3 to 94) are quashed and such Universities shall cease to exist. If any institutions have been established by such Universities, steps may be taken for their affiliation to already existing State Universities in accordance with the direction contained in paragraph 45 above. Parties would be at liberty to approach the High Court if any dispute arises in implementation of this direction. All Writ Petitions, Civil Appeals and Transferred Cases filed by the private Universities are dismissed.

chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

SK Mody wrote:Does anyone know the status of institutions such as the following with respect to govt. recognition, reputation, quality of courses offered, quality of faculty and so on:

ICFAI (Originally called Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts of India)
IIBM (International institute of Business Management).
They are private institutions and their certificates have no value.IFCAI is trying very hard to find any state govt which would enact a law to make them university. UGC does not recognise them so be careful . So far they have not succeeded. Promoters are from HYD.

Looks like they have found some

The Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts of India University
Ranchi
Meghalya-794 001
Aizawal, Mizoram-798012
Dimapur, Nagaland
Sikkim
Agartala-799001
Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts of India (ICFAI)
Indira Nagar
Dehradun-248 006

From the link you posted.

I would say dubious in the least.

Not to be confused with ICAI or ICSI which are duly established by Law of Parliament.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

The so-called intellectuals, the guru-class a.k.a professor log, are supporting phoreign educational institutions as that would improve their opportunities and pay scales. They are another self-interest group in this scenario, nothing more than that.

Entree of foreign educational institutions will have a short-term (5-10 years) negative impact on desi top schools, including IITs. That will kill the brand IIT forever.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

AIEEE results wipe smiles off Std XII toppers' faces
“I scored 91% in my CBSE board exams, but did not qualify for AIEEE. Even though the topic and concepts are same for both exams, the difficulty level of AIEEE pulled me down. I am now banking on my scores in Bits Pilani and MHT-CET,” said Ipsita Bhattacharya, a student of RN Podar School, Santa Cruz.

Monil Shah, who secured 87% in HSC, also failed to qualify in the entrance test. “I am hoping that I score well in my MHT-CET as that is my only way of getting into a good engineering college. Also, just to be on the safe side, I will seek admission in a college for BSc,” said Shah.

However, Reshma Rao, also a CBSE topper with 97%, was ranked 1,427 in the state and had a slim chance of making it through. “I scored 169/432 and have a decent chance of getting into one of the National Institute of Technology (NIT).

However, I am hoping I will score better in CET and get a seat at VJTI for mechanical engineering,” said the 17-year old from RN Podar School.
R_Kumar
BRFite

Post by R_Kumar »

“I scored 91% in my CBSE board exams, but did not qualify for AIEEE. Even though the topic and concepts are same for both exams, the difficulty level of AIEEE pulled me down. I am now banking on my scores in Bits Pilani and MHT-CET,” said Ipsita Bhattacharya, a student of RN Podar School, Santa Cruz.
Its not a big deal. It happens all the time. May be his basic understanding of subject was not very clear. Or may be some other reasons. On the other hand, I know so many students who had just > 60% marks and did well in IIT JEE and some other entrance examinations.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^Sir jee thats a PYT, not a PHT.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Raja Bose wrote:^^Sir jee thats a PYT, not a PHT.
Similar thing happened in my batch as well as my friends batches as well .Majority of the toppers were PYTs but boys overran them easily in MCQs type exams. I guess PYTs score well in essay type exams :?:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

this trend was noticeable 21 & 19 yrs ago as well when I passed from 12th. top ranks in HSLC and HS were loaded with PYTs
but none to be seen in good position in engg entrace exams where purely PCM was there.
in our 12th we had PCM and stats and best 3 scores out of 4 would be counted. so we boys dumped stats and didnt give the exam at all...it was the last exam with a gap of 10 days...barely a week before state engg entrance.
the PYT toppers either due to their own lack of confidence or to prove themselves "dutiful daddy's good girls" gave that useless stats exams too...even though they too scored higher in PCM and stats didnt count.

you can always trust women to follow the law all the down the cliff. we men know when to reach down and pull the ejection lever.

we hunt. we survive. we cavemen.
derkonig
BRFite
Location: Jeering sekular forces bhile Furiously malishing my mijjile @ Led Lips Mijjile Malish Palish Parloul

Post by derkonig »

^^^
Saar, it ij stats majors that are hawt in the world of applied finance. Pity, we took up engg, coz when I went for my higher & more moderate enlightenment, the ibanks chased non-enggrs & esp. the Bcoms & stat grads with gusto.
SK Mody
BRFite

Post by SK Mody »

chaanakya wrote:
They are private institutions and their certificates have no value.IFCAI is trying very hard to find any state govt which would enact a law to make them university. UGC does not recognise them so be careful . So far they have not succeeded.
What is the great advantage of being recognized by the UGC anyway? It would be interesting to know what the requirements are for recognition.

And for the student, does it make any difference in practice whether I get a degree at at one of those 59 universities (aside perhaps from some advantage in applying for a government job) or at any other well known (but "unrecognized") institute? In fact I get the impression that some of the better equipped institutions are precisely the ones that are _not_ UGC recognized. That list of 59 oddly doesn't have a single university from any of the 4 southern states. It would appear that the list doesn't mean very much in practice - which probably explains why they needed to have "deemed universities" - which I assume are institutes that are operating without any need for reference to the UGC and on which the UGC has "conferred" this status - something which does more to save the credibility of the UGC than the concerned institute.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

well 21 yrs ago I doubt any kid outside mumbai could even say what ibanking was. mba was supposed to get you into managerial jobs in brick and mortar manufacturing industries or into lucrative sales/mkting managerial ranks of FMCG. the pvt mutual fund type business was barely starting up in india then, stock ownership was also low. even most people had no clear idea what a itvity engineer did except that it was "hot" and "stable job with good salary". one classmate of mine (from jalandhar) even claimed he had chosen cse as his branch as a older wiser type had told him girls were hot after cse lads and would pretty much wrestle him AXE style if they found out his branch :twisted:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

SK Mody wrote:
chaanakya wrote:
They are private institutions and their certificates have no value.IFCAI is trying very hard to find any state govt which would enact a law to make them university. UGC does not recognise them so be careful . So far they have not succeeded.
What is the great advantage of being recognized by the UGC anyway?......
further education for one.
It would appear that the list doesn't mean very much in practice - which probably explains why they needed to have "deemed universities" - which I assume are institutes that are operating without any need for reference to the UGC and on which the UGC has "conferred" this status - something which does more to save the credibility of the UGC than the concerned institute.
not at all, deemed university is a stepping stone towards an institute getting full university status and becoming fully self-managed.
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

Disgraceful.

Engineering student committed suicide, says postmortem
It may be recalled Anithra Pachisia, a first year electronics and communication engineering student, was on Thursday last allegedly abused by college administration officials for speaking to boys in spite of a warning. She was caught by a CCTV camera talking to a boy on the college campus and was summoned by the chairman to his room. She was found hanging the next day.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

in chennai also someone was saying many colleges have a strict no talking and no interaction policy in class seats, campus areas and even in college buses with separate rows reserved. many girl parents also approve and encourage such policies fearing innocent wards would led astray.

short of wearing a burqa how is this different from afghanistan pathshala ?

I have not heard so far in blr except dress codes that prohibit wearing of strap tops, paddle pushers and such "controversial" dresses.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

This isn't new and has been going on for nearly a decade. There are enough uneducated idiots running these colleges who think separation and enforcing strict no-talking 'rules' will ensure girls don't get distracted during college. Numbuts of the highest order and the fact that parents think its ok is another lunacy. That they'll have to interact with the other sex once they're out of college is totally lost on them. And if someone is awkward or stupid in the corporate world towards the other sex, its very damaging to your career first of all more than anything. You shuold hear their 'reasoning' speeches ! Sheesh!
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Singha wrote: short of wearing a burqa how is this different from afghanistan pathshala ?

Religion
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

derkonig wrote:^^^
Saar, it ij stats majors that are hawt in the world of applied finance. Pity, we took up engg, coz when I went for my higher & more moderate enlightenment, the ibanks chased non-enggrs & esp. the Bcoms & stat grads with gusto.
Pah! We are all in the wrong business with this fizzyics, chemistry, engineering, yum be aye BS. The business to be in is Sociology. Just the other day I read a dissertation (which won a best dissertation award in a TFTA school and is considered ground breaking) whose sum total contribution was to prove that if people are given less choices, they make their decision faster. :roll:
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

in chennai also someone was saying many colleges have a strict no talking and no interaction policy in class seats, campus areas and even in college buses with separate rows reserved. many girl parents also approve and encourage such policies fearing innocent wards would led astray.

The fact that it happens in engineering colleges in a metropolitan city is saddening.One cannot help but imagine the situation is villages.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Raja Bose wrote: Pah! We are all in the wrong business with this fizzyics, chemistry, engineering, yum be aye BS. The business to be in is Sociology. Just the other day I read a dissertation (which won a best dissertation award in a TFTA school and is considered ground breaking) whose sum total contribution was to prove that if people are given less choices, they make their decision faster. :roll:

That's kind of obvious, isn't it? If one is given a choice of Yes/No with only possible answer yes and the constraint of 5 second to make a decision else one is shot then decision is lightening quick.

Karma.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

200 Engineering colleges in the country to be upgraded
Jun 10
Government on Thursday approved a proposal for investment of 2,430 crore rupees in nearly 200 engineering colleges under a scheme aimed at upgrading the standards of technical education institutions in the country.

The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, CCEA, chaired by the Prime Minister gave the go ahead to the second phase of Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme scheme which has been running since 2003 with World Bank's assistance.

The Home Minister P Chidambaram told reporters that It envisages an investment of 2,430 crore rupees in about 200 technical educational institutions with an aim to produce higher quality and more employable engineers.

The project covers 127 institutions in 13 states in the first phase. In yet another decision, the CCEA approved proposal of Japan International Cooperation Agency assisted Ganga Action Plan phase two at Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh. It also approved implementation existing national micro irrigation schemes as national mission with an outlay of over eight thousand crores.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

India's Half-Open Door May Not Entice Foreign Universities
Perhaps the biggest assumption by Mr. Sibal and other Indian officials is that a new open-door policy will attract a significant amount of foreign interest. But joint projects in India may not appeal to colleges and universities, especially prestigious ones, for several reasons. (The Georgia Institute of Technology may be the exception because it is apparently considering a major investment in Hyderabad.)
Once foreign institutions realize the challenges of the Indian environment, they are unlikely to get involved in the country in a big way. Some colleges may test the waters, but many others will be deterred by the conditions required by Indian authorities and the uncertainties of the situation. While the new proposal seeks to end India's arms-length treatment of partnerships, branch campuses, and other kinds of cross-border programs, the country's higher-education system will most likely continue to present obstacles and challenges to the country's students as well as to outside institutions.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

An interesting case that highlights the effectiveness and efficiency of India.

An Andhra girl called Sambhavi is claimed to be a spiritual guru by her parents. Few aesthetic groups and NGOs took their parents to court saying that the girl must be in a school not in a temple (slogan = Badi not Gudi). Our justice system offered swift justice, given the gravity of the problem and social situation.

Court ordered the parents to put the girl in a school within a week. It opined that parents cannot deny the right to primary education (enshrined in our constitution) and home-schooling is not an acceptable alternative.

Now the challenge is how to extend this success story to rest of India. {should I put these ideas in my Alternative Scenarios theread?}

1. VHP/SS or Sriramasena must declare all the child-labor and poor children who cannot afford schooling as gods and goddesses. Make these kids wear kumkum, saffron cloaths and flowers. This will attract [sic] our secularists' attention.

2. Make the parents say that their child/children are gods and do not require secular-education. This will ensure speedy justice to the kids.
chandrasekhar.m
BRFite

Post by chandrasekhar.m »

RamaY wrote:An interesting case that highlights the effectiveness and efficiency of India.

An Andhra girl called Sambhavi is claimed to be a spiritual guru by her parents. Few aesthetic groups and NGOs took their parents to court saying that the girl must be in a school not in a temple (slogan = Badi not Gudi). Our justice system offered swift justice, given the gravity of the problem and social situation.

Court ordered the parents to put the girl in a school within a week. It opined that parents cannot deny the right to primary education (enshrined in our constitution) and home-schooling is not an acceptable alternative.
Why is home-schooling not an acceptable alternative? I did not know till now that home-schooling is illegal.
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

Law to regulate AICTE: Moily
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/bengalur ... -moily-152

CBI prod to sack tech panel boss
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100612/j ... 556990.jsp

Look for AICTE top folks who are seeking large sums for affliations.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Not sure if this is the right thread, so apologies in advance. This is indeed a heart-warming story:

Auto driver's son Eamcet topper
HYDERABAD: It was the victory of have nots in Eamcet 2010. An auto driver’s son emerged topper in Eamcet, the results of which were declared on Wednesday. Md Gousejani, son of an auto driver from Vizag district, scored a mind-boggling 159 out of 160, the highest marks in Eamcet this year.

A score Gouse thinks would end his family’s struggle with poverty. He shared this score with B Pallavi of Vijayawada, daughter of a lorry owner, and A Janaradhan Reddy, son of a retired defence clerk. Among the other toppers in the engineering stream was Y Lakshmi Pathi of Tirupati, son of a farmer, who scored 157 out of 160.
This is true empowerment. I wish all these youngsters with a gleam in their eyes all the best and I hope they will become role models for the next generation.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

Bade wrote:India's Half-Open Door May Not Entice Foreign Universities
Perhaps the biggest assumption by Mr. Sibal and other Indian officials is that a new open-door policy will attract a significant amount of foreign interest. But joint projects in India may not appeal to colleges and universities, especially prestigious ones, for several reasons. (The Georgia Institute of Technology may be the exception because it is apparently considering a major investment in Hyderabad.)
Once foreign institutions realize the challenges of the Indian environment, they are unlikely to get involved in the country in a big way. Some colleges may test the waters, but many others will be deterred by the conditions required by Indian authorities and the uncertainties of the situation. While the new proposal seeks to end India's arms-length treatment of partnerships, branch campuses, and other kinds of cross-border programs, the country's higher-education system will most likely continue to present obstacles and challenges to the country's students as well as to outside institutions.
Something related to the above post by Bade saar...
Virginia Tech plans high tech international campus in India
BLACKSBURG, Va., March 8, 2010 -- Virginia Tech is taking a significant step toward establishing a new campus overseas through the execution of an agreement with a large private sector group. The proposed Virginia Tech, India campus will be located on at least 30 acres in the state of Tamil Nadu in southeast India initially encompassing a 70,000-square-foot campus facility. Master's and Ph.D. programs are planned for approximately 300 students in engineering and the sciences.