Indian Education System

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Education System

Post by vera_k »

Jay wrote:Apparently NCERT has removed below listed topics. Not really sure what is going on, but from a pure optics perspective it looks like a huge "dumbing down" of these grades is happening
Some dumbing down is good if they are trying to move away from rote learning, as that frees up time to do the experiential learning as they say. US textbooks look much more dumbed down than these ones for example.
. The National Education Policy 2020, also emphasises reducing the content load and providing opportunities for experiential learning with creative mindset.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Apparently NCERT has removed below listed topics. Not really sure what is going on, but from a pure optics perspective it looks like a huge "dumbing down" of these grades is happening
Some dumbing down is good i .
Interesting discussion.. 'removing the topics is bad' vs ' dumping down is good' ... meanwhile how about understanding that what are the topics are *actually* involved - or were removed ( or kept) /sigh/
(Please do read my previous post)
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

Amber G. wrote: ("Their anti-India news sources are pranking the supposedly prestigious journal by feeding really stupid, easy-to-disprove rumors. Eg. It took me less than an hour to check from a few different sources - including checking the textbook) secondary. Hope the next time, they may want to do some basic research.)

Eg: easy to check out:
That's exactly my point, It wouldn't take close to an hour of research or having to go through various sources to disprove something if we just knew how to announce our decisions better.

A simple notice such as

" Periodic Tables and xyz are being moved from Class X to Class IX for better understanding"

" Math equations and chapters 123 are being removed and replaced by chapters 456 because of this and this reason"

before the story starts spreading would do much more than the best researched comeback/reply.

The publications and handles used by BIF have much more visibility than the ones countering this narrative on our side, So unless we get in front of it and anticipate this we will lose the narrative battle. For every government/official announcement we need to think how it would be twisted and counter it
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

For what reason? For external validation? It’s better this way. Exposes a lot of agenda.

Consider, why would anyone discourage Rahul Gandhi from opening his mouth? He betrays himself with his foolishness. If the Muslim League is secular in his mind, he may well win an election in Pakistan. But he will never win in India.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

sanjaykumar wrote:For what reason? For external validation? It’s better this way. Exposes a lot of agenda.

Consider, why would anyone discourage Rahul Gandhi from opening his mouth? He betrays himself with his foolishness. If the Muslim League is secular in his mind, he may well win an election in Pakistan. But he will never win in India.
there is no safe constituency for him in India other than a jihadi minority dominated one and those few are mostly in KER where the influence of the BJP is minimal

With Annamalai prowling around in TN, pappu dare not venture to stand from there

so, he is playing to the gallery and the question/answer is an obvious setup. It was only to send message to the jihadis

this guy is like an addict who has already fired his most veins and is finding it difficult to shoot up
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Rahul is aiming for his position of smirking gadfly in the lok sabha.

He does not realise that with India’s continuing economic ascent, vast social changes are taking place. Privilege of name and skin colour will get you that seat. Only.

This annamalai is working hard with an eye on a different seat 10 years from now. I don’t have an objection.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Oh, and before I stand accused of being a bhakt, I acknowledge that Rahul is a lot closer to me culturally than Modi.

But how about actually delivering something?
sanman
BRF Oldie

Post by sanman »

AkshaySG wrote: That's exactly my point, It wouldn't take close to an hour of research or having to go through various sources to disprove something if we just knew how to announce our decisions better.

A simple notice such as

" Periodic Tables and xyz are being moved from Class X to Class IX for better understanding"

" Math equations and chapters 123 are being removed and replaced by chapters 456 because of this and this reason"

before the story starts spreading would do much more than the best researched comeback/reply.

The publications and handles used by BIF have much more visibility than the ones countering this narrative on our side, So unless we get in front of it and anticipate this we will lose the narrative battle. For every government/official announcement we need to think how it would be twisted and counter it
sanjaykumar wrote:For what reason? For external validation? It’s better this way. Exposes a lot of agenda.

It's about more than mere validation -- it's about not losing the global psy-ops wars.

Reducing these battles to mere external validation is like saying "Not A Blade of Grass Grows There" about Aksai Chin or LAC.

Our ostrich-like reflexes cause us to want to ignore challenges rather than confront them. When we fall prey to such reflexes, then we only allow problems to fester and get worse. Then when we finally react much later, we only end up facing a much tougher fight.

The Congress & Lefties have pounced upon the textbook changes in much the same way that the Khalistanis pounced upon the Farm Bill reforms to riot and protest worldwide over them.
They were lying in wait, while govt were unsuspecting suckers walking along innocently, only to get pounced upon and waylaid by these dacoits.

We need to expect this kind of thing over and over again, and be wise to it.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

The farm laws action is not over. I expect every farmer in India to be given the right to sell at market value, anywhere in India.

Except farmers in Panjab. And maybe Haryana, to keep things secular.

No free market sales no nasha.
sanman
BRF Oldie

Post by sanman »

sanjaykumar wrote:The farm laws action is not over. I expect every farmer in India to be given the right to sell at market value, anywhere in India.

Except farmers in Panjab. And maybe Haryana, to keep things secular.

No free market sales no nasha.
After the govt backed off from the Farm Bill reforms in the face of the rioting, I too started posting around, calling for govt to re-introduce the same reform legislation on a state-by-state basis. Let states which are more reform-minded lead in these reforms and reap the benefits first, and let those laggards who are more hesitant or opposed to such reforms then be left behind (they'll only be forced to play catch-up later). Federalism is our useful tool to help the camel nose its way under the tent, since not all states have the same entrenched obstructionist lobbies and rent-seeker monopolies. Just like if you look at Right-to-Work states in USA, they are the ones which get more factories and plants, because they offer environments more conducive to industry.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile: News Item: IIT Kanpur claims the top spot in the NIRF Innovation category. Congratulations.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Update:
Amber G. wrote:
Jay wrote:Apparently NCERT has removed below listed topics. Not really sure what is going on,
Allow me to shed some light: The source of all this is cabal like Dawkins, Nature (amplified by ddm. BBC... etc) who as one IIT Distinguished Professor, FRS, and Emmons Terman Award winner (given by American Society for Engineering Education.. called this Dawkins (on his own face) .. not kidding, What a dumb effing idiot! I agree with him 100%.

Why? Of course, "Nature" embarrassed it self by propagating a complete lie without checking the most elementary fact. (Hint: They did NOT cut the periodic table -- They simply moved it from Class X to Class IX)..

Here is what some of us letting Nature magazine know - :
My SM handle is different than Brf handle (I keep them seperate) and have quite a modest followers/impact but I did post a detailed response. I was surprised that the thread was viewed more than 300,000 times with thousands of 'likes' and hundreds of retweets ..many from *very* renowned people who are also disgusted by these hit-pieces and dishonesty of so called 'prestigious' magazine. The trolling type comments were very few (but I simply block annoying bots or their human counterparts).

----

Meanwhile: Impact due to such 'experts' is less than it is projected .. They were promising lakhs of people will gather in Time Square to listen to him but all he got were some 100 of Comrades and a chair like this. His facial expression says it all. :rotfl: Image
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Brain drain along with lack of knowledge producing institutions is the greatest threat to Indian national security.
This is the first paper that I have found which gives us a glimpse into brain drain phenomena. PDF in link.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w31308
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

As some of you may know, I have just returned from a unplanned trip to my family village in Punjab.

I was shocked by how little people in the village actually know about the rest of India.
So I actually brought the Gurudwara a projector which is WiFi linked and some large speakers.
We tested it and every Sunday my cousin has been tasked with showing education films/documentaries in the large hall.

Can I please kindly ask you to provide me with any Hindi language YouTube links which can be shown.
anything educational, science, space, tech, nature, geography, Chandrayaan 3/space

I will send the links to my cousin and he will show the documentary

Thank you in advance
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Haresh wrote: 26 Jul 2023 20:19 ...
Great initiative! Infrastructure-related videos pertaining to rapidly-developing areas of India are a good pick for creating aspirations among village folk. Here's a suggestion:

I've seen a couple of these in Hindi, will look for them and post more.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

I was going to post links to Hindi videos on railway station development in India, but realized that many of them are already in the railways thread.

Here are a couple:

viewtopic.php?t=7141&start=4552

viewtopic.php?t=7141&start=4553
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Can I please kindly ask you to provide me with any Hindi language YouTube links which can be shown.
anything educational, science, space, tech, nature, geography, Chandrayaan 3
Haresh- it is far easier and more efficient to have them go to youtube and do keyword searches on any topic they want: bridges, cities, new railways, Vande Bharat, ISRO, Chandrayaan, Zojila Pass tunnel, Chenab Bridge, etc. SHow them once and they'll soon be picking their own topics......especially the kids.

I tried these keywords in YouTube: "longest bridge in India in Hindi" and got this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgc3Gb4BwHw

and that's all it took. youtube algorithms will pick the most-watched ones and put it out. And they are quite good.

Highest bridge in India in Hindi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MtNJd3LHvA

Steel plants in india hindi narration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks7hZumiQIs (had to scroll to the 4th or 5ht video)

There are fantastic teachers out there who have put great videos on youtube in all subjects (math, science, mechanics) and these youtube teachers (some of them still students) know how to teach a lot better than many experienced teachers in class rooms. If you get a couple of projectors for a schoolor even your do it in your gurdwara, the kids will soon learn stuff on their own.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

SriKumar wrote: 27 Jul 2023 05:57
anything educational, science, space, tech, nature, geography, Chandrayaan 3
Haresh- it is far easier and more efficient to have them go to youtube and do keyword searches on any topic they want: bridges, cities, new railways, Vande Bharat, ISRO, Chandrayaan, Zojila Pass tunnel, Chenab Bridge, etc. SHow them once and they'll soon be picking their own topics......especially the kids.

I tried these keywords in YouTube: "longest bridge in India in Hindi" and got this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgc3Gb4BwHw

and that's all it took. youtube algorithms will pick the most-watched ones and put it out. And they are quite good.

Highest bridge in India in Hindi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MtNJd3LHvA

Steel plants in india hindi narration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks7hZumiQIs (had to scroll to the 4th or 5ht video)

There are fantastic teachers out there who have put great videos on youtube in all subjects (math, science, mechanics) and these youtube teachers (some of them still students) know how to teach a lot better than many experienced teachers in class rooms. If you get a couple of projectors for a schoolor even your do it in your gurdwara, the kids will soon learn stuff on their own.
Thank You for the links. This is a bit of an experiment. I am sure they will get the hang of you tube pretty quick.
The purpose of this experiment is just to show them that there is a huge India and a huge world outside of their village which offers them huge opportunities, if they are able to grasp them.
They just need to see it.

Someone has to build the new India, why not them ? Why be an unskilled farm labourer, when you can learn a skill, welding, tool maker, electrician, carpenter, crane/digger driver.

Let's see what happens, I am visiting again next year.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

"The donation has come at a time when the institution has been hit by budget cuts and is taking loans from the Higher Education Financial Agency (HEFA) for expansion."
IIT-Bombay gets Rs 160 crore from anonymous donor
MUMBAI: The Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay has received its first ever anonymous donation of Rs 160 crore. The cheque has come from an alumnus who wishes to maintain complete privacy about his gift.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

The recent collaboration between Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur and Laurus Labs Limited on gene therapy is focused on developing affordable and high-quality genetic medicine ‘Made in India’ for the world. Initially, this will be for Leber congenital Amaurosis, a type of hereditary eye disease, Hemophilia, and muscular dystrophy. The focus is also on establishing all aspects of the gene therapy product pipeline, including setting up a commercial cGMP facility to manufacture these drugs within the IIT Kanpur Technopark facility. This unique collaboration is one of the finest examples of game changing Industry academia collaboration.

Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

IIT's have been attacked in BRF too by a few posters ..in a similar ad hominem fashion ..
But then, how many times, IIT's appear among other institutes.. in Biden, Modi statement today:
10. The United States reiterated its commitment to working together with India in the quantum domain, both bilaterally and through the Quantum Entanglement Exchange, a platform to facilitate international quantum exchange opportunities; and welcomed the participation of India’s S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata, as a member of the Quantum Economic Development Consortium. It was also recognized that the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay joined the Chicago Quantum Exchange as an international partner.

11. The leaders hailed the signing of an Implementation Arrangement between the U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF) and India’s Department of Biotechnology to enable scientific and technological research collaborations in biotechnology and biomanufacturing innovations. They welcomed the call for proposals released by NSF and India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology to foster academic and industrial collaboration in semiconductor research, next generation communication systems, cyber-security, sustainability and green technologies, and intelligent transportation systems.

12. Reaffirming their commitment to building resilient technology value chains and linking defence industrial ecosystems, the leaders recommitted their administrations to promoting policies and adapting regulations that facilitate greater technology sharing, co-development, and co-production opportunities between Indian and U.S. industry, government and academic institutions. They also welcomed continued engagement through an inter-agency monitoring mechanism under the auspices of the bilateral Strategic Trade Dialogue, launched in June 2023.

13. The leaders welcomed the signing of an MoU between Indian universities, represented by the Council of Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT Council), and the Association of American Universities (AAU) to establish the India-U.S. Global Challenges Institute, with a combined initial commitment of at least US$10 million. The Global Challenges Institute will bring together leading research and higher-education institutions from across our two nations, including beyond AAU and IIT membership, to advance new frontiers in science and technology, spanning collaboration in sustainable energy and agriculture, health and pandemic preparedness, semiconductor technology and manufacturing, advanced materials, telecommunications, artificial intelligence, and quantum science.

14. The leaders also welcomed the growing number of multi-institutional collaborative education partnerships, such as those between New York University-Tandon and IIT Kanpur Advanced Research Center, and the Joint Research Centers of the State University of New York at Buffalo and IIT Delhi, Kanpur, Jodhpur, and BHU, in the areas of critical and emerging technologie
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

https://twitter.com/_treeni/status/1700538562821980171

Apparently this lady Divya Dwivedi is also an IIT alumini...

Can't get much worse than this...
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

which subject ?
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

Cyrano wrote: 10 Sep 2023 13:45 https://twitter.com/_treeni/status/1700538562821980171

Apparently this lady Divya Dwivedi is also an IIT alumini...

Can't get much worse than this...
<WIKI>
Dwivedi is originally from Allahabad. Her mother is Sunitha Dwivedi and her father, Rakesh Dwivedi, practices as a senior lawyer for the Supreme Court of India. Dwivedi’s paternal grandfather, S. N. Dwivedi was a judge at the Supreme Court of India, and her maternal grandfather Raj Mangal Pande was a minister in the union government of India.

She received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Lady Shri Ram College, Delhi and her Master's degree from St. Stephen's College. She pursued her M.Phil from University of Delhi and received her doctorate from Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
<WIKI>

She's an IIT-Delhi Prof in the Philosophy/Humanities Dept. Basically a no-responsibility no-contribution no-impact types. No different from the JNU jhandu-balm types.

Back in my IIT-Bombay days, I always questioned the role of Humanities in an engineering focused college. The level of IQ / effort to get a PhD and a Professorship in Humanities is significantly lower than their engineering/STEM counterparts. But the rewards in terms of campus-life, credentials, and salary is more or less the same.

The more datapoints I gather, the basic requirement to be a Hinduphobic ar$ehole appears to be a Phd in Humanities. Given that mankind is not really gaining from Humanities research via wealth-creation (i.e. no Chandrayaan-3/COVID vaccines in their field)...its pretty clear that Humanities research is a wealth-stealing/wealth-sharing activity. Time to cap these "Arts" degrees at the bachelors level?
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

We should adopt lefty tactics and call for her removal for hinduphobic and anti-national statements.

BTW, even the bigoted France24 reporter was trying to temper the conversation, but there was no stopping this train wreck.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Requesting Amber G garu to explain to us why these humanities depts were started at IITs ? Why do IITs need them when they aren't able to produce anything original or different from JNU, TISS and cant even do a decent job of countering casteist IIT narratives peddled abroad from US Univs. Whats their mandate?

Not that you owe us an explanation, but only asking because you're from IIT and usually well connected to IIT folks past and current. Thanks
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

Cyrano wrote: 10 Sep 2023 16:32 Requesting Amber G garu to explain to us why these humanities depts were started at IITs ? Why do IITs need them when they aren't able to produce anything original or different from JNU, TISS and cant even do a decent job of countering casteist IIT narratives peddled abroad from US Univs. Whats their mandate?

Not that you owe us an explanation, but only asking because you're from IIT and usually well connected to IIT folks past and current. Thanks
Not Amber-ji but my 2p on the name controversy. It was the only part of the woman's speech I saw. My unrderstanding is that the name is India/Bharat ie either may be used. As a Konkan speaker (nominally) I prefer the trm India but I don't mind the northeners using Bharat.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Let’s not use too broad a brush.

The PhDs with the highest IQs may in fact be those in philosophy.

I have seen duds in stem and medicine to be not overly impressed by any PhD or MD appellation.

And how to rate IQs?

Someone does a good job regurgitating a semester’s worth of orbital mechanics. Another posits a new area of research to produce entirely novel natural products by cloning ancient DNA from fossils.

This is is a real world example. I postulated this 3-4 years ago. The first paper to demonstrate such was published about six months ago. Is it even meaningful to invoke IQs? Or is it training, preparation personal interest?
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Just to clarify. I did not publish that paper.
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

sanjaykumar wrote: 11 Sep 2023 01:22 Let’s not use too broad a brush.

The PhDs with the highest IQs may in fact be those in philosophy.

I have seen duds in stem and medicine to be not overly impressed by any PhD or MD appellation.

And how to rate IQs?

Someone does a good job regurgitating a semester’s worth of orbital mechanics. Another posits a new area of research to produce entirely novel natural products by cloning ancient DNA from fossils.

This is is a real world example. I postulated this 3-4 years ago. The first paper to demonstrate such was published about six months ago. Is it even meaningful to invoke IQs? Or is it training, preparation personal interest?
sanjaykumar-ji,

Sometimes the broad brush or the hatchet are the correct tools.

Yes - you will undoubtedly find the occasional STEM dud. Statistically that will happen if individual competence follows a normal distribution. Likewise, you will also find the Abraham Maslows & Sigmund Freuds amongst the Humanities crowd.

But there is a significant difference in the way these fields operate:

- A hundred run-of-the-mill engineers and technicians can put together machines and structures to change the world forever, if led by the Abdul Kalams & Leslie Groves' e.g. Chandrayaan-3 / Fat-Man Gola. How many millions cheered for Chandrayaan-3? How many billions use Aadhar? How many billions were saved by Covaxin/Covishield?

- A hundred average Abduls from Humanities will put together turkeys like "comparative hypersexuality of upper caste professors in close proximity of adivasi female postdoctoral students in jharkhand" and "100 years of indian cinema and its impact on gender justice in middle eastern societies". The number of people that give a crap is in single digits, and the impact to 99.99% of the population is zero.

Regarding IQ...while intelligence is multi-dimensional i.e. 'Analytical', 'Musical', 'Hand-Eye Coordination', 'Spiritual' etc., the 'Analytical Intelligence' as expressed in standardized IQ tests (numerically quantifiable and hence comparable) is the most common because it is also the most utilitarian even for non-academic jobs e.g. soldiering

Jordan Peterson's claim that the US Army does not recruit people with IQ less than 83 is more or less accurate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_100,000

I don't think the Humanities folks should be allowed a free pass for much longer. Remember - our labor and taxes fund them. Barring a few honorable exceptions like international relations, realpolitik, languages, etc. where the employer is the foreign office or the strategic community, Humanities PhD degrees do not result in a revenue generating product or service i.e. left-liberal academia is non-sustainable without being funded by the taxes of the same people they piss on
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

In STEM fields, reality check is often quick and if you goof up, brutal. Karma mamba is always hanging on your head.

In Humanities, one can get away with a lot of mischief for a long time before getting discredited. That makes all the difference.

That is why in civilisational societies, social constructs (ie tradition, culture, religion, rituals etc etc) are very very hard to modify. Because they have evolved over a long period and have worked for those people for most of the time. If they were totally unfair and exploitative, they wouldn't have lasted. Now before anyone goes saying "then why does India have caste system?" please remember that caste and varna are very different things. More in some other thread, OT here.

Modern, non-civilisational societies ie Europe and US had to invent rules and morality of some sort, and Xtianity has sobered up now but was spread as brutally as islam and had an exploitative side to it that Islam can't really match even now. But Xtianity's and generally religion's appeal is less and less attractive each passing generation. Humanities studies become necessary when these societies struggle to find meaning, purpose and hence establish a relatively stable order among societies, because though all men may be born equal, they aren't born with equal abilities and societies get inevitably organised into hierarchies.

Hierarchies can be merit based or power based. In the absence of a civilisational framework, and monotheistic religion's supposed "equality" which is directly contradicted by inequality of abilities becomes a contradiction that they struggle to resolve. Bad diagnosis (oppressor - oppressed model) leads to worse remedies (forced equality of outcomes) and today's western humanities that cannot remove this, end up justifying their own existence by becoming woke and pushing their inner guilt (of being wrong and undeserving of respect but still getting it thanks to the generosity of the STEM based, hard working rest of the world, which works on a competence based hierarchy) on everyone else ie the entire society and the world.

IITs getting into Humanities would have been justified if they approached these subjects with a scientific method and data driven approach. Instead they have debased themselves - it appears to me - and partake in the collective guilt narrative and make amends by accepting irrational and anti-national scum in their midst and by giving them a level of legitimacy that erodes their own.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

There is a surprising amount of ‘creativity’ in science publications. Recent data that is available is public ally shows fraud is not only uncommon but maybe rampant.

There is also inadvertent poor quality material that causes problems for subsequent workers in the field. I have certainly spent time chasing artefacts and sloppy conclusions where a little rigour originally, would have set the matter straight.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Aldonkar wrote: 10 Sep 2023 17:18 As a Konkan speaker (nominally) I prefer the trm India but I don't mind the northeners using Bharat.
Aldonkar ji,
As a Telugu speaker (not just nominally - I was educated in Telugu medium K-12), I prefer using Bharat over India.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 12 Sep 2023 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

As for Philosophers, this philosopher was the first give an algorithm for unification - not very efficient but the first one. Unification is a key step in aoutomatic theorem proving and Proof Assistants and AI/ML.

John Alan Robinson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Alan_Robinson
John Alan Robinson (9 March 1930 – 5 August 2016) was a philosopher, mathematician, and computer scientist. He was a professor emeritus at Syracuse University.

Alan Robinson's major contribution is to the foundations of automated theorem proving. His unification algorithm eliminated one source of combinatorial explosion in resolution provers; it also prepared the ground for the logic programming paradigm, in particular for the Prolog language. Robinson received the 1996 Herbrand Award for Distinguished Contributions to Automated reasoning.
Logic Verification (wihtout which we would not have computing of any type) uses proof assistants in an essential way.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 12 Sep 2023 02:53, edited 1 time in total.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

titash wrote: 11 Sep 2023 10:34 - A hundred average Abduls from Humanities will put together turkeys like "comparative hypersexuality of upper caste professors in close proximity of adivasi female postdoctoral students in jharkhand" and "100 years of indian cinema and its impact on gender justice in middle eastern societies". The number of people that give a crap is in single digits, and the impact to 99.99% of the population is zero.
Titash ji,

Do you know how many theorems are proved annually? Mid 1980s figure was 450,000 theorems. Most Mathematics papers are write-only. How many give a damn to Grothendike/Cat Theory/theoretical astro-phyiscs galaxy simulation papers?

On the other hand, i present to you Leonardo da Vinci whose paintings are a wonder to behold or Kalidasa's "abhignana shakuntala", or Allasani Peddana's "Manu charitra".
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 12 Sep 2023 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

and of course

1. Kurt Godel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_G%C3%B6del
Kurt Friedrich Gödel (/ˈɡɜːrdəl/ GUR-dəl,[2] German: [kʊʁt ˈɡøːdl̩] i; April 28, 1906 – January 14, 1978) was a logician, mathematician, and philosopher. Considered along with Aristotle and Gottlob Frege to be one of the most significant logicians in history, Gödel had an immense effect upon scientific and philosophical thinking in the 20th century, a time when others such as Bertrand Russell,[3] Alfred North Whitehead,[3] and David Hilbert were using logic and set theory to investigate the foundations of mathematics, building on earlier work by the likes of Richard Dedekind, Georg Cantor and Gottlob Frege.

Gödel's discoveries in the foundations of mathematics led to the proof of his completeness theorem in 1929 as part of his dissertation to earn a doctorate at the University of Vienna, and the publication of Gödel's incompleteness theorems two years later, in 1931. The first incompleteness theorem states that for any ω-consistent recursive axiomatic system powerful enough to describe the arithmetic of the natural numbers (for example, Peano arithmetic), there are true propositions about the natural numbers that can be neither proved nor disproved from the axioms.
2. Alonzo Church

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alonzo_Church
Alonzo Church (June 14, 1903 – August 11, 1995) was an American mathematician, computer scientist, logician, and philosopher who made major contributions to mathematical logic and the foundations of theoretical computer science.[2] He is best known for the lambda calculus, the Church–Turing thesis, proving the unsolvability of the Entscheidungsproblem ("decision problem"), the Frege–Church ontology, and the Church–Rosser theorem. He also worked on philosophy of language (see e.g. Church 1970). Alongside his doctoral student Alan Turing, Church is considered one of the founders of computer science.[3][4]
3. Hillary Putnam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilary_Putnam
Hilary Whitehall Putnam (/ˈpʌtnəm/; July 31, 1926 – March 13, 2016) was an American philosopher, mathematician, and computer scientist, and a major figure in analytic philosophy in the second half of the 20th century. He made significant contributions to philosophy of mind, philosophy of language, philosophy of mathematics, and philosophy of science.[5] Outside philosophy, Putnam contributed to mathematics and computer science. Together with Martin Davis he developed the Davis–Putnam algorithm for the Boolean satisfiability problem[6] and he helped demonstrate the unsolvability of Hilbert's tenth problem.[7]

Putnam was known for his willingness to apply equal scrutiny to his own philosophical positions as to those of others, subjecting each position to rigorous analysis until he exposed its flaws.[8] As a result, he acquired a reputation for frequently changing his positions.[9] In philosophy of mind, Putnam is known for his argument against the type-identity of mental and physical states based on his hypothesis of the multiple realizability of the mental, and for the concept of functionalism, an influential theory regarding the mind–body problem.[5][10] In philosophy of language, along with Saul Kripke and others, he developed the causal theory of reference, and formulated an original theory of meaning, introducing the notion of semantic externalism based on a thought experiment called Twin Earth.[11]
4. Saul Kripke (of Kripke Semantics)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saul_Kripke
Saul Aaron Kripke (/ˈkrɪpki/; November 13, 1940 – September 15, 2022) was an American analytic philosopher and logician. He was Distinguished Professor of Philosophy at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York and emeritus professor at Princeton University. Kripke is considered one of the most important philosophers of the latter half of the 20th century.[6] Since the 1960s, he has been a central figure in a number of fields related to mathematical and modal logic, philosophy of language and mathematics, metaphysics, epistemology, and recursion theory.

Kripke made influential and original contributions to logic, especially modal logic. His principal contribution is a semantics for modal logic involving possible worlds, now called Kripke semantics.[7] He received the 2001 Schock Prize in Logic and Philosophy.

Kripke was also partly responsible for the revival of metaphysics and essentialism after the...
5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_Van_Orman_Quine

with McClosky gave Quine-McCluskey logic minimization algorithm. This has the advantage of being algebraic as opposed to Karnaugh maps equivalently Vietch maps which are more visual/graphic/geometric.
Willard Van Orman Quine (/kwaɪn/; known to his friends as "Van";[9] June 25, 1908 – December 25, 2000) was an American philosopher and logician in the analytic tradition, recognized as "one of the most influential philosophers of the twentieth century".[10] He served as the Edgar Pierce Chair of Philosophy at Harvard from 1956 to 1978.

Quine was a teacher of logic and set theory. Quine was famous for his position that first order logic is the only kind worthy of the name, and developed his own system of mathematics and set theory, known as New Foundations. In philosophy of mathematics, he and his Harvard colleague Hilary Putnam developed the Quine–Putnam indispensability argument, an argument for the reality of mathematical entities.[11] However, he was the main proponent of the view that philosophy is not conceptual analysis, but continuous with science; the abstract branch of the empirical sciences. This led to his famous quip that "philosophy of science is philosophy enough".[12] He led a "systematic attempt to understand science from within the resources of science itself"[13] and developed an influential naturalized epistemology that tried to provide "an improved scientific explanation of how we have developed elaborate scientific theories on the basis of meager sensory input".[13] He also advocated ontological relativity in science, known as the Duhem–Quine thesis.
Quine's book on Mathematcial Logic is a must read

6. The list cannot be complete without mentioning Betrand Russell
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_Russell

yet it is still an incomplete list.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gottlob_Frege
Friedrich Ludwig Gottlob Frege (/ˈfreɪɡə/;[15] German: [ˈɡɔtloːp ˈfreːɡə]; 8 November 1848 – 26 July 1925) was a German philosopher, logician, and mathematician. He was a mathematics professor at the University of Jena, and is understood by many to be the father of analytic philosophy, concentrating on the philosophy of language, logic, and mathematics. Though he was largely ignored during his lifetime, Giuseppe Peano (1858–1932), Bertrand Russell (1872–1970), and, to some extent, Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889–1951) introduced his work to later generations of philosophers. Frege is widely considered to be the greatest logician since Aristotle, and one of the most profound philosophers of mathematics ever.[16]
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_Descartes
René Descartes (/deɪˈkɑːrt/ or UK: /ˈdeɪkɑːrt/; French: [ʁəne dekaʁt] i; Latinized: Renatus Cartesius;[note 3][17] 31 March 1596 – 11 February 1650)[18][19][20]: 58  was a French philosopher, scientist, and mathematician, widely considered a seminal figure in the emergence of modern philosophy and science.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Cyrano wrote: 11 Sep 2023 13:21 IITs getting into Humanities would have been justified if they approached these subjects with a scientific method and data driven approach. Instead they have debased themselves - it appears to me - and partake in the collective guilt narrative and make amends by accepting irrational and anti-national scum in their midst and by giving them a level of legitimacy that erodes their own.
This. That said, maybe this is how IITs can become more like MIT. BITS Pilani has bridged that gap. They have good humanities departments too, IIRC.

IITs have to become more like UCB, UIUC, UMichigan, UTA, GeorgiaTech, UVA, OSU, Purdue, PennState. Many US public unversities are no slouches in Engineering/Technology as well as Economics/Business/Law/Humanities.