Indian Education System

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
csubash
BRFite

Re: Indian Education System

Post by csubash »

TN Govt website is the state board's tamil science textbook based on NCERT curriculum guidelines not CBSE tamil version. TN was one of the pioneers in introducing CET & after lot of debate it was abandoned. It's interesting to see people are quiet happy to support an exam from an educational board where probably less than 10% of all +2 students in India go through. Maharashtra board has >14 lakh students, AP >11, TN>9.5 lakh students CBSE around 10.5 lakh students. I reiterate again CBSE based entrance examination favours only the upper middle class students from cities as these schools are concentrated more in affluent areas which also supports lots of these coaching institutes. Unless there is some uniformity in education curriculum across the country with a roadmap for these tests NEET in its current format is unfair.

prasannasimha wrote:Hmm see
http://www.textbooksonline.tn.nic.in/Std12.htm

Tamil Nadu is also following NCERT syllabus and the Tamil versions of the textbooks are available.

Honestly I don't knopw what the brouhaha is all about.The NEET is just a standardized exam. Claiming that rural students will be affected etc is not true.Each state will give rank list based on the NEET score. Tamil Nadu did not have a CET whereas all the other south Indian states had itand all this nonsenes that education is valued etc etc is sheer nonsense which state gets the highest number of IIT entrants - erstwhile Andhra Pradesh and that is a South Indian state.
like it or not these exams are needed as the private medical colleges made it into a big scam and Yes I am also from a South Indian state an I was one of the first batches of the ALL India Entrance exam and studied in Maharashtra (postgraduation) !! You can either see an opportunity or moan about it.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

csubash I do not know how many times to tell you - there is no separate CBSE textbook and syllabus that you keep alluding to. They follow the NTSE curriculum and textbooks. Even the CBSE follows the NCERT curriculum which is uniformthrough out India now. You keep reiterating that they are different despite showing you that they are the same.

You can keep harping that the CBSE and state syllabus are different but they are now not > In core subjects PCMB it is the same but kanguage subjects can be different. My son was in the state syllabus and it was the same NCERT textbook that CBSE school also uses
Incidentally Karnataka was the first state in India to start CET by court order.
You may be not aware or refuse to realize that a common core syllabus exists
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Like I was saying

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/544 ... seats.html

The Supreme Court on Tuesday told states opposing the National Eligibilty-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) that they can still fill their share of 85% seats for MBBS and BDS courses through Phase II of the exam.

A three-judge bench presided over by Justice Anil R Dave, which began hearing applications, including one filed by Karnataka seeking permission to conduct their own test, asked the Centre, Medical Council of India and the CBSE to respond to their plea by Thursday.

“Filling up 85% seats is still reserved with you only. The students, who have not filled the form (for NEET Phase I on May 1) can still avail the opportunity for the next phase to be conducted on July 24,” the bench told Karnataka’s Advocate General Madhusudan Naik.

The All India Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Examination, hitherto conducted by the CBSE, was held to fill the all-India quota of 15% seats in colleges in states. The single test, now called NEET, is expected to save students from hassles of appearing in multiple examinations.

Senior advocate K K Venugopal, appearing for Karnataka’ s Association of Private Medical Colleges, contended that there was statutory arrangement allowing the colleges to hold their own examination in English and vernacular language for which all arrangements had already been made. Venugopal cited the recent suicide by an IIT-JEE aspirant in Kota, saying that students, particularly from the rural background, were undergoing a lot of stress as time for preparing for a common entrance test was very short.

The bench, also comprising Justices Shiva Kirti Singh and Adarsh K Goel, said: “The students from rural background still can’t pass your test without coaching. Even the best students are found from the most backward regions.”

The court was also not apparently convinced with the plea for students who studied in vernacular medium facing difficulty, as it said the names of scientific terms are generally same in the regional languages.

Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, representing Gujarat, claimed every scientific term in English had its distinct name in Gujarati.

Senior advocate L N Rao, appearing for Vellore-based Christian Medical College, said the state cannot take its right to conduct its own examination, started since 1993, for filling 85% seats from students of the minority community.

The court, however, told him those unsuccessful in the examination still had to appear for other tests. “You may have an excellent reputation, no doubt, but you cannot say that you would not get students of your choice from an all-India examination,” the bench said.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

So 85% reservation stays. Just that they need to decide on criteria. I hope SC insists on one test or criteria for state quota as well. Otherwise it will leave the scope for manipulation open specially by private institutions.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

The 85% can be filled by states using the NEET ranking only
csubash
BRFite

Post by csubash »

Excellent verdict by SC. So a student who has studied in Tamil in TN state board has to appear for a competitive exam in CBSE based (oops I got it wrong there is no CBSE or state board only NCERT textbooks) exam in English because science terminology is same in all languages(oops i got it wrong hindi science terminology is different hence exam in hindi also). Why conduct any +2 exam? Conduct only common entrance test in english & hindi for all specialities because there is a racket in private universities.
What happens if a state like TN refuses to accept SC's verdict & admits students according to its own criteria?
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

It will be held in contempt and the selection is vitiated. This ahs been the norm and there is precedent so they better not even think of doing it.When the Principal of JJ Hospital did not admit me under All India Qupta (PG) many decades ago the DGHS asked me to give it in writing and they were ready to slap a contempt of court notice on him. The Principal quietly agreed. I si not so easy to face a multiple judge bench of the supreme court.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

The SC is still reviewing its order. I think if there is demand tests should be provided in all scheduled languages. They have included Hindi becoz other than English it is an official language, nothing against Tamils per se.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

prasannasimha wrote:The situation is different now all state and CBSE use NCERT syllabus and text. I had posted Tamil versionof NCERT text books
Hm. When did this happen?? I am asking because last I checked about 6-7 years ago at least class IX/X syllabus for MH state board was not same as CBSE.
csubash
BRFite

Post by csubash »

TN's proffesional courses admission act has presidential notification. So SC will issue a contempt notice against a state which has presidential assent. Contempt of SC's verdict similar to Cauvery Tribunal verdict. Education & health are state's prerogative. Infact SC's verdict is against constitution.

prasannasimha wrote:It will be held in contempt and the selection is vitiated. This ahs been the norm and there is precedent so they better not even think of doing it.When the Principal of JJ Hospital did not admit me under All India Qupta (PG) many decades ago the DGHS asked me to give it in writing and they were ready to slap a contempt of court notice on him. The Principal quietly agreed. I si not so easy to face a multiple judge bench of the supreme court.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

The first batch with common syllabus was my Sons's around 2 years back. They started with his batch in 8th standard and worked up to PUC and then backwards to middle school.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

^^ Nope Education is on the concurrent list.
csubash
BRFite

Post by csubash »

If the act has presidential assent then it stays even if it is in the concurrent list

prasannasimha wrote:^^ Nope Education is on the concurrent list.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

SC judgements can be changed only by the parliament which is rarely done. States can't do anything much except appeal.
csubash
BRFite

Post by csubash »

If there is a subject which is in concurrent list with a parliament law the state act with presidential assent subsequent to it stays. If need to go against it one needs a new law ratified by the parliament. This is true for reservation also which TN has 69% while constitution mandates max 50%

Supratik wrote:SC judgements can be changed only by the parliament which is rarely done. States
can't do anything much except appeal.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

As long as it is based on some standardized criteria it doesn't really matter what criteria TN chooses to select reserved category seats.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

nileshjr wrote:
prasannasimha wrote:The situation is different now all state and CBSE use NCERT syllabus and text. I had posted Tamil versionof NCERT text books
Hm. When did this happen?? I am asking because last I checked about 6-7 years ago at least class IX/X syllabus for MH state board was not same as CBSE.
NCERT sullabus (curricula) is the minimum standards. Individual boards are allowed to diverge over and above this criteria. No two boards have exact syllabus since these are framed for their final examinations (Class X, Class XII) conducted by respective boards.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

other important thing is that even most cbse students don't bother reading ncert texts... certainly not those preparing for iit/pmt... we use to think of the problem set in ncert to be kidstuff...i hardly studied for 12th boards...it was too easy...i mean does not everyone use feynman lectures/halliday resinick/irodov/stewarts calculus etc ? why this taqleef over textbooks? in our dins we had no MOOC...internet speeds were too slow for streaming...these dins a 15 year old kid can learn QED/ metamaterials / linear algebra etc from the comforts of his pakistan ...
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

My rural students can jolly well use mobile internet. That is the reality now.
Last edited by member_28108 on 05 May 2016 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Also taking the bigger picture it is vital that students? Experience different institutes in different states other wise it becomes koopamandukanyaya. My colleague and I call it educational inbreeding sarcastically and this in particular seems to happen in those who are born and bred in one state/system. Education needs a shake up of view points.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/544 ... -take.html

Pvt medical colleges can't take separate entrance tests: SC
New Delhi, May 5, 2016 (PTI)
The bench said the students, who focused on state tests believing that they had better chances of being selected and did not seriously prepare for AIPMT despite filling up the forms, should be allowed to re-appear in NEET-II. DH Photo.
Unaided private medical colleges across the country cannot be permitted to go ahead with their pre-scheduled tests for admissions to MBBS and BDS courses in addition to the recently revived single-window entrance NEET, the Supreme Court today said.

"There is no question of allowing any exam by private institutions," a three-judge bench headed by Justice A R Dave said when some lawyers sought clarification on the fate of the entrance tests which have either been conducted or about to be held by the private colleges.

In another key development, the bench, also comprising justices Shiva Kirti Singh and Adarsh Kumar Goel, asked Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar to take instruction from the Centre on feasibility of allowing some states, which have already conducted their separate entrance tests, to continue with the admission process for the current academic session.

It also asked Kumar to apprise it as to whether all the students, who appeared in All India Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Test (AIPMT) which later became National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET) on May 1, can be allowed to re-appear on NEET-II to be held on July 24.

The bench said the students, who focused on state tests believing that they had better chances of being selected and did not seriously prepare for AIPMT despite filling up the forms, should be allowed to re-appear in NEET-II.

"I cannot say it is impossible, but it would be very difficult," Additional Solicitor General Pinky Anand, appearing for CBSE, said and referred to the fact that over 6 lakh students appeared in NEET-I.

Senior advocate Vikas Singh, who represents MCI, suggested that the students cannot avail two opportunities in one examination and those, who take up tests twice, will have to forgo the ranking obtained in one of the two tests results.

The court sought views of the Centre and the CBSE when the counsel for various states including Gujarat, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Assam and Jammu and Kashmir made fervent appeals against the NEET.

States like Gujarat and Maharashtra said the students who prepare for the state entrance tests in vernacular languages like Gujarati and Marathi would be at "disadvantage" if they are suddenly asked to take up the NEET in view of the fact that the state tests are now invalid.

Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for Gujarat, said, "Had this NEET come six months back, I would not have said all this. At least consider deferring the NEET by one year."

He also referred to the question papers, written in Gujarati, of the entrance tests to highlight the inconvenience which could be now faced by students in suddenly taking up the NEET.

Senior advocate Shyam Diwan, appearing for Maharashtra, echoed the same views and said that moreover, the entrance examination in the state is backed by the statute which is still in force and its validity is not under challenge before the apex court.

"35 questions out of 200 in NEET-I was outside the syllabus of the Maharashtra board and such things dis entitle many students who prepare for the state test," he said, adding that the state can file an affidavit to this effect.

"Is this not changing the goal post," he asked, adding that the state, at least, be allowed to continue with its test for this academic year.

Senior advocate Gopal Subramaniam, appearing for Jammu and Kashmir, also opposed the NEET and referred to additional legal and constitutional points to highlight that the state has special status and cannot be compelled to go for the NEET.

Jammu and Kashmir government cited constitutional provision of Article 370 read with Article 35 A and section 6 of the J&K constitution to contend that it is the state which is entitled to conduct the test and the students cannot be admitted to these courses from outside the state through NEET.

Further, on the educational aspect, only the state government has the legislative competence and Centre cannot interfere in it, he said, adding that the students, hailing, from the state, do not take up AIPMT.

Senior advocates Kapil Sibal and Rajeev Dhawan went a step ahead and questioned the legality of the subsequent orders passed by the court on NEET saying after recalling of the verdict, scraping the NEET, a larger bench should hear and pass further orders in the matter.

"The recall order nullifies the judgement. It is quite clear that your lordships are in great hurry... This is not the way a judgement is reviewed and recalled," Dhawan said.

At the outset, some lawyers sought clarification regarding pre-scheduled examinations, which have either been conducted or about to be held, of states and private medical colleges and referred to a report published in a leading news paper.

"Go and seek clarification from the ...paper. As of now, the (NEET) regulations are revived. The clarity would be required when there is confusion," the bench said.

The Solicitor General, during the hearing, read amended NEET notification and said they take care of the rights of minority and linguistic institutions.

The reservation policy of a particular state is not being tampered with by the NEET regulations, he said.

Earlier, the court had commenced the crucial hearing on the pleas of state governments, private medical colleges and minority institutions like CMC Vellore and Ludhiana seeking nod to hold pre-scheduled separate entrance exams for MBBS and BDS courses.

The states, opposing NEET, alleged that there are marked differences in syllabus for the state entrance tests and the NEET.

During the hearing, Additional Solicitor General Pinky Anand, appearing for the CBSE, had said the first phase of NEET was conducted without any glitch and around 6.5 lakh students took up the test.

The apex court had on April 29, said the entrance test for admission to MBBS and BDS courses for the academic year 2016-17 will be held as per the schedule through the two- phased common entrance test NEET on May 1 and July 24.

On April 28, the court had rejected opposition for holding NEET by states, including Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh and Association of Karnataka Medical Colleges, besides minority institutions like CMC, Vellore.

The apex court order had implied that all government colleges, deemed universities and private medical colleges would be covered under NEET and those examinations which have already taken place or slated to be conducted separately stand scrapped.

It had also revived the government's December 21, 2010 notification for holding a single common entrance test through NEET with a clarification that any challenge on the issue would directly come before it and no high court can interfere.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Thank God although first couple of years will be difficult. They should use regional languages in NEET as well.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

I think this vernacular thing has to stop as we are actually a great disservice to students when they come to Engineering and medical courses. I have paramedical students who have to read about complex cardiopulmonary bypass techniques and cannot answer in the viva because they cannot say" My name is xxx" in English. Like it or not English is the medium of instruction in higher studies and countries like France, Russia and China have realized the dangers of being overly parochial and having a common language ensures everyone is speaking the same thing and today that language for science is English. So we have to accept that. I have seen students suffer and had to send them to conversational English courses and help them out but that should not be my business and is a big waste of my time and resources as well as the students. it is disheartening to see such students suffer and yes the maximum students with this problem are precisely the ones protesting - some states in the south and BIMARU states. That is the bitter truth.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Its true that higher education is in English. However, from my brief experience teaching in WB I can say there is a vast difference between schools as to the quality of English being taught. Many bright students are limited by their English. The long term solution is to improve the standard of English across class and geographies. Till that time it is fair that they be provided the opportunity to take entrance tests in regional languages.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

And then they do miserably in the professional courses. That is a cruel trick to play on them.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

We can do something like what the US does. I don't know if they do it in India. In the US all English deficient students can take up English language classes in parallel. I have met many brilliant people who are not good in English for whatever reasons. If we use language as a criteria we will do disservice to these people.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

That has been tried 9I ahve personally spent time and done that) but the problem is that it is not really possible to amke someone master and become good in conversational English in just a few months or years and by that time they are already stuggling and getting behind(I struggled with this and I can say some of my paramedics became university toppers but the personal effort was stupendous and actually it is wrong). All these local language chaluvaligars / warriors are the ones who do the greatest disservice to the local language- rather than insisting on education in vernacular proscribing English as if it is the enemy they should allow English to be taught along with the local language as an essential requisite- with that they slowly learn and assimilate. It is the system that needs a big shake up. The local language warriors get away with this but do send their own children to English medium schools !!
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

In fact we had Engish language courses for these students but guess how college level language classes are !!
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

The confusion is caused by Hindi's status as an official language. If that were to be removed via a constitutional amendment, everyone would have to be taught English in private as well as government schools. And non-Hindi languages would not be able to demand equivalence to Hindi in their states as is the case currently.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Per my understanding in WB English is taught even to Bengali medium students. The Commies had barred English but sanity returned later. I don't know about other states. The experience in US is that English deficient students don't become masters in English but do alright with their studies. The really ambitious ones take it seriously and go on to become faculty where they have to communicate, teach and write competitive grants in English. There has to be some degree of personal effort to succeed. Till a time that we achieve uniform English education we have to live with such inadequacies.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

vera_k wrote:The confusion is caused by Hindi's status as an official language. If that were to be removed via a constitutional amendment, everyone would have to be taught English in private as well as government schools. And non-Hindi languages would not be able to demand equivalence to Hindi in their states as is the case currently.

Yes, that is another issue. If you allow Hindi why not other languages. Some people will make it an issue.
csubash
BRFite

Post by csubash »

Whoa, the idea to teach all english. Does it mean to teach science subjects only in english (may be hindi) for them to compete internationally. I am pretty sure more than 90% of posters parents have read in vernacular language. When a significant % of children in India have no access to any form of education people want science or other subjects to be taught only in english. I thought the purpose of education is to educate - no, it seems that its to tell our name in english.
Oh , I didn't disclose that my children go to an English medium school.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

All easy said and done till they go to professional courses when they suffer or have an undue disadvantage. In fact it is not just teaching them "English" but also conversational English so that they can hold on their own. Today it is actually not so difficult and to say that rural students do not have access is also not true. There is on DD the "Country wide classroom" which can be extended. Problem is that many people have various priorities. Just go out and see various slums with virtually a cacophony of TV dish antennae. One of the exercises I used to give such students was to ban them from seeing local programs and see English TV serials , news etc. This immersion therapy is required to learn any language and true success wrt learning a language is when you can "think" in that language rather than translating two way in your head.
In fact there used to be a very popular English class on TV in Karnataka which lots of children used.
One important thing is that accessible education does not mean dummed down education. That is totally a wrong approach.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/GOUybI ... nce-e.html

NEET: Supreme Court confirms states can’t hold separate medical entrance exam
Canditates who have not applied for AIPMT will get appear in NEET II on July 24, say Supreme Court

Enter your email
GoSubscribe to our newsletter.
PTIShreeja Sen
Refusing to modify its earlier orders, the Supreme Court said that only NEET would enable students to get admissions in MBBS and BDS courses. Photo: Mint
Refusing to modify its earlier orders, the Supreme Court said that only NEET would enable students to get admissions in MBBS and BDS courses. Photo: Mint
The Supreme Court on Monday ruled that the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) would be the only test for admission to medical courses in India, turning down an appeal by many states to hold separate medical entrance exams.

“We do not find any infirmity in the NEET regulation on the ground that it affects the rights of the States or the private institutions,” the court said on Monday. “Only NEET would enable students to get admission to MBBS or BDS studies.”

The top court also allowed candidates who appeared in the first phase of NEET on 1 May to reappear in the second phase slated for 24 July. Over 600,000 aspirants appeared for NEET I.

On 28 April, the court had ordered NEET to be held in two phases—on 1 May for those who have applied for the All India Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Entrance Test and on 24 July for fresh candidates.

Following this, several students expressed apprehension that since they did not prepare well for one national test, they may miss out on their chance to make it to a medical college.

The court on Monday clarified that the option of appearing for NEET II, scheduled on 24 July, will be available to those who forfeit their score of NEET I. Such a move is meant to allay fears of students who appeared for NEET I, but were not sure about their performance.

A three-judge bench comprising justices Anil R. Dave, Shiva Kirti Singh and Adarsh K. Goel also allowed the government to alter the date for NEET II, if required.

The second phase of the entrance test will be supervised by a three-member oversight committee comprising former chief justice of India R.M. Lodha, Dr Shiv Sarin of government-run Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences in New Delhi, and former comptroller and auditor general of India Vinod Rai.

http://medicaldialogues.in/supreme-cour ... e-details/

Supreme Court Pronounces NEET judgement : Read the details
3Editors Pick, Medical Education, Medico LegalMay 9, 2016 (3225) A+A-
FacebookGoogleTwitterLinkedIn1EmailPrint
Supreme Court Pronounces NEET judgement : Read the details
Putting an end to the long waiting game for lakhs of the medical students across the country, Supreme Court has finally pronounced the judgment, defining the fate of National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test this year. Refusing the states in their plea to hold their respective exams, the court has clarified that ONLY NEET would enable students to get admissions to MBBS or BDS studies

The decision comes after a week-long discussions and arguments in the court, with various states giving their arguments opposing the exam to be the one and only exam to entrances in various medical colleges of the country. While the fate of private medical colleges had been made clear in the previous order (No separate entrance for private medical colleges), the Supreme Court today made it clear that even the states will not be allowed to hold their separate exams. All entrances will go through the NEET

Slamming the arguments of the states on the jurisdiction over medical entrance examination, the court stated

Prima Facie, we do not find any infirmity in the NEET regulation on the ground that it affects the rights of the states or private institutions. Special provisions for the reservation of any category are not subject matter of the NEET nor the rights of minority are in any manner affected by NEET. NEET only provides for conducting entrance test for eligibility for admission to the MBBS/BDS course. We thus, do not find any merit in the applications seeking modification of order dated 28th April, 2016

While rejecting the plea of the states to hold their own exams , the hon’ble Supreme Court allayed the fears of those students, who had lost precious time and energy and as a result of the ongoing confusion and hence not performed upto their mark in the first phase of NEET-I

The only other contention relates to the perceived hardship to the students who have either applied for NEET-I but could not appear or who appeared but could not prepare fully thinking that the preparation was to be for only 15% All India seats and there will be further opportunity to appear in other examinations.

To Allay such apprehensions the Supreme Court has directed that

All Such eligible Candidates who could not appear for NEET-I and those who had appeared but have apprehension that they had not prepared well, be permitted to appear in NEET-II, subject to seeking an option from the said candidates to give up their candidature for NEET- I.

It would be open to the respondents ( i.e UOI, MCI, CBSE) to reschedule the date of holding NEET-II, if necessary. To this extent the earlier ordered and modified.

The hon’ble court extended the scope of functioning of the earlier appointed OVERSIGHT COMMITEE ( for the MCI) directing them to oversee the NEET examination as well

The court stated

To ensure the total credibility of the examination to be held by the CBSE, the Oversight Committee appointed by this court vide the (aforesaid) judgment dated 2nd May, 2016 shall also oversee the NEET-II examination to be conducted by the CBSE.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/545 ... -test.html

SC sticks to one entrance test; NEET II for all
New Delhi, May 10, 2016, DHNS:
A three-judge bench presided over by Justice Anil R Dave turned down all pleas, including those filed by Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Jammu & Kashmir and private medical colleges, opposing NEET on the grounds of violation of their rights. DH illustration
The Supreme Court on Monday ruled that only the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) would enable students for admission to MBBS and BDS courses in colleges across the country for the present academic year.

A three-judge bench presided over by Justice Anil R Dave turned down all pleas, including those filed by Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Jammu & Kashmir and private medical colleges, opposing NEET on the grounds of violation of their rights.

“Prima facie, we do not find any infirmity in NEET regulation on the ground that it affects the rights of the states or the private institutions,” the bench, also comprising Justices Shiva Kirti Singh and Adarsh K Goel, said.

The apex court, however, added that special provisions for reservation of any category were not subject matter of NEET nor rights of minorities were affected by it.

“NEET only provides for conducting entrance test for eligibility for admission to MBBS/BDS course,” the court added. The court directed former Chief Justice of India Justice R M Lodha-headed panel, appointed as oversight committee of the MCI on May 2, to ensure total credibility of the exam to be conducted by the CBSE.

“It is also clarified that only Neet would enable students to get admission to MBBS or BDS studies,” the bench said.

In its brief order, the court said that all those candidates who appeared for NEET Phase-I on May 1 would be eligible to appear for Neet Phase-II, but they would foreclose their candidature of the previous examination.

The CBSE, which already fixed the NEET Phase-II on July 24, may reschedule it if necessary, it added.

In its 6-page order, the court cited its Constitution bench decision of May 2 wherein the contention of private medical colleges, including those run by minorities, that holding of entrance test by the state violated their right of autonomy has been rejected.

While the state governments had the legislative competence to make laws for regulating standards of medical education under the Concurrent List, but after the Central government makes a law, the Centre’s power under the Constitution will prevail upon the states’ statutes, the court had then said.

Very important statement regarding subjects under the concurrent list
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Best bet might be to reschedule the NEET to December so everyone gets a fair shot at it.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

They cannot. All admission procedures and all admission rounds must be completed by August 31 st as per another supreme court order to prevent students losing a term.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Want NEET UG but not from this year: Centre in Parliament
politicians cutting across party lines demanded on Wednesday that the central government either impress upon the court to understand student's anguish or bring an ordinance to undo Supreme Court orders to hold NEET this year.
This whole business looks like a failure of the legislative arm of government. Unclear why they would bother the court with this when Parliament was in session and could any day override the court.