Civil Aviation Development & Discussion

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
hgupta
BRFite

Re: Civil Aviation Development & Discussion

Postby hgupta » 11 Jan 2020 23:18

Good this makes it much easier to ban MAX planes from ever flying in or over India.

chetak
BRF Oldie

Postby chetak » 12 Jan 2020 04:47

Karan M wrote:After what happened to the Max and the lives lost, I'd rather take "stupid" regulators who forces safety regulations down the throats of all these cowboys. Lazy jokers wrecked the lives of countless families and are acting arrogant with regulators despite the catastrophe they were responsible for.

nothing stopped our guys from including a simulator training stint for the MAX.

This matter is entirely under the purview of the national regulator if it so desires.

Also, they had the same information available to other regulators and would have set a trail blazing path had they enforced and mandated a sim training stint.

IIRC, two ameriki operators of the MAX seem to have worked out their own solution to the MAX problem, despite the inactivity of the FAA, by having some set procedures of their own in place for the MAX

chetak
BRF Oldie

Postby chetak » 12 Jan 2020 04:53

hgupta wrote:Good this makes it much easier to ban MAX planes from ever flying in or over India.

there is too much to lose for the amerikis, in terms of national pride, market share as well as their own eminent role in the global aviation industry.

in due course, they will whitewash the whole thing and work out a via media solution which will then be subtly pushed by the GOTUS

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Postby Kartik » 14 Jan 2020 08:16

Karan M wrote:After what happened to the Max and the lives lost, I'd rather take "stupid" regulators who forces safety regulations down the throats of all these cowboys. Lazy jokers wrecked the lives of countless families and are acting arrogant with regulators despite the catastrophe they were responsible for.

My 2 cents since I won't go into this topic in too much more details. Believe me, the engineering at Boeing is top class. Every time I am in the factories in Renton or Everett, I'm amazed. There has however been a dramatic change in the way the management works over the past decade. The competition with Airbus is what defines everything - and by that I mean timeline and cost. It is ALL about timelines and somehow bringing a business case for making an airline not switch from Boeing to Airbus and if possible, switch from Airbus to Boeing. It means that if you can extract any $ advantage out of not forcing airlines to send pilots to simulators even for a day (it costs a HECK of a lot in sim costs, lost productivity, hotel costs, per diem, you name it) in Miami, Gatwick, Singapore, Brisbane or Moscow, then marketing and sales will push for that. Pushing for 2 hour CBT versus a sim check brought about $ savings that were pitched to airlines to make them move in favor of the 737MAX. Anything that went against that - and MCAS did, was brushed under the carpet.

That is a management decision, not an engineering decision. Jokers who come from other industries (I have worked with a couple of managers with prior experience in other software firms but not aerospace who were absolutely hopeless and understood NOTHING about the domain they were working in) and brought the combative and every pushy culture and mindset of those organisations into Boeing.

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Postby Kartik » 14 Jan 2020 08:21

chetak wrote:nothing stopped our guys from including a simulator training stint for the MAX.

This matter is entirely under the purview of the national regulator if it so desires.

Also, they had the same information available to other regulators and would have set a trail blazing path had they enforced and mandated a sim training stint.

IIRC, two ameriki operators of the MAX seem to have worked out their own solution to the MAX problem, despite the inactivity of the FAA, by having some set procedures of their own in place for the MAX

FAA itself was duped into accepting the requirement for no sim training and you're expecting the DGCA to catch this? :roll:

Even if they went through it with a fine toothed comb they wouldn't have realised what was going on and I don't expect DGCA to do that since pretty much everyone has now ceded authority to FAA or EASA. Both those bodies have the funding (actually they are under-funded but still) to take on the monumental task of going through with a fine toothed comb over all the hundreds of thousands and thousands of pages of documents that'll be produced for each program. FAA still can't manage it because the task is too huge.

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Postby Kartik » 14 Jan 2020 08:24

hgupta wrote:Good this makes it much easier to ban MAX planes from ever flying in or over India.

which is an absurd and completely stupid solution to a problem that has a fix. FAA will certify it, mandate sim training and things will go on.

What next? Ban all cars that don't have airbags because occupants will definitely not survive a 70 kmph head on collision or roll over? Ban all trucks because they're death traps with zero occupant safety features?

hgupta
BRFite

Postby hgupta » 14 Jan 2020 12:04

Sorry I don’t trust the MAX design. It is inherently unstable due to a flawed design. I would not fly in a MAX plane or allow my family to fly those kind of planes. Nope.

chetak
BRF Oldie

Postby chetak » 14 Jan 2020 20:53

this a hole has been de rostered pending the inquiry.

twitter

@IndiGo6E Your captain on 6E 806 from Chennai to Bangalore on January 13 Jayakrishna harrased, threatened and prevented me and my 75-year old diabetic mom from disembarking the flight and threatened to arrest us because we asked for wheelchair assistance.

12:15 PM - 13 Jan 2020

Avtar Singh
BRFite

Postby Avtar Singh » 15 Jan 2020 02:54

Ralph Nader excoriates new boeing boss, his niece died in one of the crashes...
----new boss is part of the problem
----many years in ge where he learnt severe cost cutting from welch... ge hollowed out
(embarrassing for cnbc droid because they love welch)
----calhoun has no qualifications to turn boeing around
----ELEVATE ENGINEERS TO DECISION MAKING RATHER THAN FINANCIERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_1DzryaMAY

737 max has certainly turned the anti-airbus maxim on its head ===>>>
"if its boeing I aint going"

also the americans had certified the 777 to fly without standby instruments.
because the new wonderful systems are so reliable!!!
====>>>> greedy money grabbing american corpses
the uk CAA (civil aviation authority) told them you had better install
standby instruments or it is not flying

god bless america

Raveen
BRFite

Postby Raveen » 15 Jan 2020 04:11

Avtar Singh wrote:Ralph Nader excoriates new boeing boss, his niece died in one of the crashes...
----new boss is part of the problem
----many years in ge where he learnt severe cost cutting from welch... ge hollowed out
(embarrassing for cnbc droid because they love welch)
----calhoun has no qualifications to turn boeing around
----ELEVATE ENGINEERS TO DECISION MAKING RATHER THAN FINANCIERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_1DzryaMAY

737 max has certainly turned the anti-airbus maxim on its head ===>>>
"if its boeing I aint going"

also the americans had certified the 777 to fly without standby instruments.
because the new wonderful systems are so reliable!!!
====>>>> greedy money grabbing american corpses
the uk CAA (civil aviation authority) told them you had better install
standby instruments or it is not flying

god bless america

Airbus has its share of crashes and deaths due to screwy engineering too - remember the pilot whose son killed everyone by triggering a software bug on a A320 iirc?

jaysimha
BRFite

Postby jaysimha » 17 Jan 2020 14:08

https://www.wings-india.in/

Wings India 2020

March 12-15,2020, Begumpet Airport, Hyderabad, India

Rony
BRF Oldie

Postby Rony » 20 Jan 2020 23:53

Interesting points

Why is Air India always in loss ?

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Air-India- ... -Singh-820

Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Postby Rishi_Tri » 21 Jan 2020 00:50

Rony wrote:Interesting points

Why is Air India always in loss ?

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Air-India- ... -Singh-820

Points and arguments are superficial.
- Delhi experiment with private buses - I am sure people shall recall that private Red Line buses were banned after it resulted in veritable war on Delhi roads among operators, not to mention numerous people killed on roads by killer drivers / buses. Were eventually replaced with Blue Line buses and even those replaced by buses run under DTC. BTW, having commuted in my student days in those buses, the DTC buses were not empty.
- Air India Load Factor - My experience and those of many others that I know, the Air India flights Internationally and Domestically are jam packed. Demise of Jet Airways and international direct flights from India to rest of the world has placed Air India in much better position. I can support by photographs that on International routes Air India flights are cleaner, better than almost all Gulf Carriers. In my opinion only a couple of European airlines are better than AI, otherwise AI is way better.
-Air India Operations - If the powers be are serious, they shall seek operational excellence. Turnaround times, aircraft availability, route rationalization, resource allocation, services for other airlines and so on. Operations make or break a services business.
-Employee and Finance Costs - Employees should be well compensated. Question is how do you get the most out of the employee / pilot base? As to finance costs, refinance if the opportunity is there.

More than anything else, Air India can be profitable but question is - are the powers be serious about Air India? I guess not. Aviation has been huge missed opportunity of the last decade and Air India's problems are symptomatic of that.

Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Postby Rishi_Tri » 25 Jan 2020 20:42

https://www.livemint.com/companies/news ... 45855.html

Air India trims losses by 40% in run-up to disinvestment
24 Jan 2020, 11:49 PM IST - Rhik Kundu

New Delhi: Air India Ltd narrowed its operational losses between April and December by over 40%, ahead of the planned sale of the state-run carrier, which is expected to kick off next week, two senior airline officials said on Friday.

The reduction in losses was the outcome of a lower interest burden after half of Air India’s debt was transferred to a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV), as well as better operational performance, one of the officials said.

Operational losses in the April-December 2019 period stood at ₹1,045 crore, down from ₹1,960 crore in the same period of the previous year, the first official said.

“The airline earlier spent close to ₹4,000-4,500 crore a year for servicing its debt. This figure has now come down to ₹1,400-1,500 crore after a large chunk of the airline’s debt was moved into an SPV last year," said the second official mentioned above.

Meanwhile, Air India’s overall passenger yield, or revenue earned per kilometre, rose by about 6.7% during the comparative nine month period, the first official added.

Air India, which had a 12.7% share of the domestic market, carried 18.36 million domestic passengers in 2019, according to data from the Directorate General of Civil Aviation. The national carrier had ferried 17.61 million passengers in 2018.

In February 2019, the central government set up Air India Assets Holding Ltd to park accumulated working capital loans not backed by any asset, standing at about ₹29,464 crore, four subsidiaries, non-core assets such as paintings and artefacts, land bank, and other non-operational assets. The Centre plans to sell these assets.

Air India’s accumulated losses in the past decade stood at about ₹69,575.64 crore, aviation minister Hardeep Singh Puri had told Parliament in December.

The national carrier posted a provisional net loss of ₹8,556.35 crore in FY19, against a net loss of ₹5,348.18 crore in the previous fiscal.
The Centre hopes to divest its entire stake in the New Delhi-based carrier after failing to offload a 76% stake last year.

chetak
BRF Oldie

Postby chetak » 27 Jan 2020 06:24

The Sikorsky S-76B (N72EX) helicopter he was a passenger in was owned by him

KOBE BRYANT, DAUGHTER GIGI DIE IN HELICOPTER CRASH ...

Raveen
BRFite

Postby Raveen » 27 Jan 2020 06:53

Rishi_Tri wrote:
Rony wrote:Interesting points

I can support by photographs that on International routes Air India flights are cleaner, better than almost all Gulf Carriers. In my opinion only a couple of European airlines are better than AI, otherwise AI is way better.

No way are the racist EU based carriers any better than the Gulf based ones. Year after year they are trumped in every rating by the Asian carriers.

nachiket
Forum Moderator

Postby nachiket » 28 Jan 2020 03:25

Kartik wrote:FAA itself was duped into accepting the requirement for no sim training and you're expecting the DGCA to catch this? :roll:

The FAA has had an incestuous relationship with US aircraft manufacturers for a long time. That basically means Boeing now but in the past it included McD etc. Recall their royal fk-up back in the 70's with the DC-10 cargo door design flaw which led to the Turkish Airlines crash and loss of 300+ lives even after the NTSB had already identified the issue in a previous incident.

The FAA has not learnt from their past mistakes. The reason modern civil aviation is so safe is thanks to high safety standards (and a safety "culture") by the manufacturers themselves and the efforts of crash investigators to do rigorous RCA after incidents (all incidents, not just crashes). But as you mentioned the management changes at Boeing have ended up indirectly harming the safety culture there and the FAA is completely useless in catching that. Their stubborn reluctance to even ground the MAX fleet after the second crash was horrifying to say the least.

Return to “Technology & Economic Forum”