Civil Aviation Development & Discussion

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Amitayus
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Amitayus »

That is all fine, but I am wondering why after so much shouting over the roof for the last 2-3 years, they have become so mute? Why no blood curdling war cry from AK Gopalan Bhawan? I am just guessing, what is the deal? Has Praful Patel threatened to stop Kolkata airport's modernization or withdraw permission for the new airport at Durgapur? Or is it something else? :?:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

BIAL will hopefully shift the focus of development north of bangalore. there
is no shortage of land nor of buyers for that land. a big netwk of ring and
connecting roads and akravathy layout is proposed for that region.
layouts with fancy names like malibu and santa monica have been formed
well north of Devanhalli.

please dear God, no more permits for large IT cos inside current city.

but I am sure they fill find ways to screw up even this relatively open slate,
they are consistent.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Amitayus wrote:That is all fine, but I am wondering why after so much shouting over the roof for the last 2-3 years, they have become so mute? Why no blood curdling war cry from AK Gopalan Bhawan? I am just guessing, what is the deal? Has Praful Patel threatened to stop Kolkata airport's modernization or withdraw permission for the new airport at Durgapur? Or is it something else? :?:
Who cares.. . It is the problem of CITU/AITUC or whoever was their overseer nows. Let them take care of their "running dogs".. Dont ask the tax payers to continue feeding them. That is why transferring them all to Kolkota would be the best solution. The commies there can have one massive Kolkota airport and all their lal jhanda underlings taken care of from the revenue Kolkota airport generates and probably some dole from the other airports as "compensation" or whatever. Atleast that way they wont get in the way of people who work and can be safely "quarantined" away with people of their own kind and can live happy on chai /biskoot and "addas".. Happy situation no ?. No need to work, get your pay promptly on the 1st of the month.. lot of free time to indulge in all sorts of "social" causes.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Hurray to BIAL and devanahalli. :D
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

12:30 am & HAL airport not closed
Traffic congestion at BIA has resulted in domestic airlines landing at HAL well past the midnight deadline, a top ATC source said.
:shock: :shock:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

its definitely closed now. flightpath is near my house.

what seems to have happened was some flights near midnight decided to
land at HAL to save passengers 1st day BIAL hassles , flew empty to BIAL
and took off early today morning from BIAL.

http://www.bengaluruairport.com is the site.

real time flight updates are not yet operational. some cool java applet like
radar map over a 150km radius and dots tagged with flight info is what
we want. boston airport delays it by 5 mins to deter jihadi manpad types.
abhishek
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishek »

Bangalore airport looks a lot more solid.......real airport type.....

Where are all the Banglaore Airport haters? :D
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

Where are all the Banglaore Airport haters?

Code: Select all

Newspapers here are full of "we want the HAL back" wihning.

When I think about it, it will now take me 2,5 hours to reach the airport, as opposed to HAL which took only 20 min.

Lots of room for nostalgia.
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Congrats to BIAL and everyone who made it happen. Kudos to Praful Patel Civil Aviation Minister. Boo Hoo to Dev Gowda, Yechuri, Karat, AAI et all and the fellows opposed to progress in India.

CCDay at BIAL

Help Desk at BIAL

One of lobbies in the new airport.

WiFi and chatting

The road to BIAL

Passengers strolling
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

I am all set to fly out of BLR on 1st june. Any tips, comments or practical suggestions?
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

take the bus.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

volvo have just 31 seats each for airport run. I suggest be in the stand
well in time so you get a seat. with deps every 30mins and 2 hr onroad
in rush time, its best to reach the bus 4 hrs ahead of time!!
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

What about the luggage ?

Passenger with 1 hand luggage, 2 check-in will find it difficult.

:( :( :(
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

there should be a cargo space underneath like all these type of buses
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Is it true that citi taxis and auto rickshaws have not been given a separate parking space at the new airport ?
Rajesh_MR
BRFite

Post by Rajesh_MR »

Nayak wrote:What about the luggage ?

Passenger with 1 hand luggage, 2 check-in will find it difficult.

:( :( :(
These are specially designed for airport commuters, just like the airport shuttles in masa that take you to car rentals. From outside it looks like there would be enough space for luggage within cabin.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Scarred by living in backward places for too long.

I had visions of a guy in torn banian and lungi climbing up the ladder behind the volve throwing my expensive hush-puppy luggage on the top of bus.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

designated taxis allowed. facilities complete with taxi bays. rickshaws i didnot see any. 30 odd seat buses low floor AC buses with ample space for luggage seemed more then enough.

here is a tip off. next phase, bmtc planning hooking up autos for last mile connectivity.

off all the srakari agencies bmtc racking some real innnovations.
sustainability is another issue, but on the innovation front trend started in 1973. ludicrously rich babus innovate and bcome rich in the process.

blr bmtc vayu vajra now catching some attention in dilli too.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

shaardula wrote: off all the srakari agencies bmtc racking some real innnovations.
sustainability is another issue, but on the innovation front trend started in 1973. ludicrously rich babus innovate and bcome rich in the process.
Here is what I hope they can include in the wish-list :

1] Toll Free sms # denoting the arrival time of the bus at the stop
2] Clearly shaded bus stop (allow advertisers)
3] Ample seats/benches
4] Allow for refreshements (chai/ice-cream) stand

Is that too much to ask ?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I think they should allow bus booking as e-tickets, on phone and on site
ofcourse. volvos have huge luggage bay below passenger compartment.

afaik any vehicle can drop there, but white indica taxis and autos are not
allowed to pick up ?
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

No the commute is not 4 hrs..tThe commute from HAL to BIAL takes 1 hr 15min, from Hebbal 20-30 min. Vajra runs every 15min, is full always. No AUTOS allowed Allah be praised on this score. Rs 40 for 2hrs parking at airport, plenty of parking slots for now...

Hmm, flat baggage belt...

Shops..

Yikes, already crowded departures. Need to build 10 more of these pronto..
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

good lord it looks the same as HAL already...and the outside also same
mob scene ...

http://flickr.com/photos/13879352@N07/2 ... 249857719/

and this is after Praful patel forced them to enlarge phase 1 !!

it needs to be 30% bigger today for a feeling of comfort.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

I travelled from Bangalore to Hyderabad yesterday, and hear is the following take:-

- It took me 4o mins to reach the airport from Seshadripuram (from Nataraj talkies-33km) may be being a Sunday traffic was a bit less but I don't even on weekday it would have taken more than 1hr 15 mins. Connectivity to the new airport seems pretty good

- The domestic terminal atleast seems pretty badly designed and gets clostrophobic and crowded, compared to Bial , Hial seems much better designed and Classy looking
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I think after Ppatel forced BIAL to upg the capacity is 10 mil/annum but
BLR HAL was 12 mil/annum _today_....so its undersized and maxed out on
day 1 already.

phase2 needs to be done on a war footing to restore QoS.

it wont be long before it degerates into HAL otherwise. the penny pinching
swiss probably hope to load factor everything to 95% and rake in profit
margins. greenfields like this must be mandatorily made to keep 30% headroom on day1 demand.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

The departure area already looks maxed out and it will only get worse as the # of flights out of Bangalore will increase.

How long will the phase 2 take to complete ?
Last edited by Nayak on 26 May 2008 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
abhishek
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishek »

no offense...hial looks like a movie set built out of cardboard and plaster of paris....
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

How long will the phase 2 take to complete ?

proportional to the time delta between now and GOI size 14 boot landing
on BIAL's rump
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

http://avherald.com/h?article=4075156d&opt=0
Incident: Indian Airlines A320 at Bangalore on May 26th 2008, aircraft went missing on tarmac
By Simon Hradecky, created Tuesday, May 27th 2008 09:20Z, last updated Tuesday, May 27th 2008 09:22Z

Ground personnel at Bangalore Airport were frantically searching for an Indian Airlines Airbus A320, flight IC915 from Bangalore to Hyderabad (India), for 45 minutes, when the airplane had not arrived at the gate 15 minutes before scheduled departure and significant time after landing.

Air Traffic Control did not respond to frantic calls by ground staff for over an hour, until the airplane was finally located at an outer parking position waiting for its passengers to arrive.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

well ATC literally lives up in their ivory _tower_ and _looks down_ on us
mortals at ground level.
:oops:
Ranvijay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ranvijay »

Holy crap..ahaha, they managed to lose an entire aircraft...priceless.. :D

I'll be getting off at BIAL tommorow morning. Poor student onlee, hope I can get a volvo. Dammit, if they're full I'll be mighty pissed. :(

Quick question I had, do I buy tickets on board the volvo or is there a separate reservation counter? I'll be getting off at Koramangala, does it stop near forum?

Never travelled by a volvo before, except maybe in singapore and there they have fancy meters built inside the bus..
Ranvijay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ranvijay »

Holy crap..ahaha, they managed to lose an entire aircraft...priceless.. :D

I'll be getting off at BIAL tommorow morning. Poor student onlee, hope I can get a volvo. Dammit, if they're full I'll be mighty pissed. :(

Quick question I had, do I buy tickets on board the volvo or is there a separate reservation counter? I'll be getting off at Koramangala, does it stop near forum?

Never travelled by a volvo before, except maybe in singapore and there they have fancy meters built inside the bus..
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the conductors have devices to print receipts and give you tickets.

pls take photos of toilets, baggage claim, arrivals area and the drop off
area if possible.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Singha

Interesting to know that others know about the penny pinching Swiss :D

I learnt about it dealing with a Swiss company
Ranvijay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ranvijay »

haha, I'll try taking pictures. But it would be weird snapping pictures of toilets. If I go to a gents toilet and take a pic, people would get wrong ideas, and if I go take a pic outside a ladeej toilet, I'll get a good chappaling in public. :lol:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

:twisted: :oops:
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

These crowd scenes will reduce only if we stop this stupid habit of having 10 people to see of 1 guy or gal.

Gone are the days when this was an occassion everybody decked up, took pictures, garlands yada yada.

Maybe airports at a distance will help
derkonig
BRFite
Location: Jeering sekular forces bhile Furiously malishing my mijjile @ Led Lips Mijjile Malish Palish Parloul

Post by derkonig »

Ranvijay wrote:Holy crap..ahaha, they managed to lose an entire aircraft...priceless.. :D

Ranvijayji,
Are u by any chance in L2 (L-Square) land?
Rajesh_MR
BRFite

Post by Rajesh_MR »

Surya wrote:These crowd scenes will reduce only if we stop this stupid habit of having 10 people to see of 1 guy or gal.

Gone are the days when this was an occassion everybody decked up, took pictures, garlands yada yada.

Maybe airports at a distance will help
I am not sure if the solution is to ask people not to accompany a close one to airport or ask them to pay an entry fee and use that to improve facilities.
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

Took 2 hrs exact to reach new Ap from Mysore Road Bus stand by the BMTC bus - this is the sole redeeming factor of the airport - hundreds traveling by public transport.

It seems Indian food has been banished - you get Aussie Cookies, Illy Coffee (at Rs.130 per cup), Subway, Pizza Hut and some sandwiches. All of them save for the lone Gangotri chat place are horribly expensive and cramped already.

Absolutely no internet access terminals, no place to relax and watch TV, no palce to charge laptops (atleast AAI parasites left a few sockets around to exploit), a lone phone charging area left on the ground forcing you to sit like in a Indian toilet to plug your phone in, wireless did not work (hopefully temporary), the most uncomfortable lounge chairs imaginable even before considering interminable delays in our airports, inadequate toilets, lone fresh water source, no public phones in sight, (at least from gate 8-20) the list of complaints is endless. Some obviously will get rectified over time, but systemic defects will stay forever.

The loot by cafeterias has to stop. Wonder why not allow India Coffee to open stall there and sell for Rs.10 a cup, Coorg coffee instead of so-called Italian Illy Coffee.

All in all for paying Rs.1070+225 (on top of distance, etc), which is almost twice the price for Changi, we are getting crappy service. The idiots in coats hanging around have no powers to do anything and seem to justify the fee by saying we have to pay twice-thrice the world market price for same stuff because we are Indians.

Short of asking for AAI parasites to come back, something needs to be done by the powers that be and some serious noise has to be made by the janata.

The construction quality is obviously better than AAI small-town KSRTC bus stop toilet standards but not world class by any means.