Civil Aviation Development & Discussion

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Rajesh

what entry fee? where to the ramps of the airport??

They do not enter but loiter outside.

Hang around at gate. Entry fee cannot reduce the crowds of unnecessary folks. I know its a mindset but we have to start.

Same with stations
Ranvijay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ranvijay »

Are u by any chance in L2 (L-Square) land?
Not getting you sirjee. Myself humble ishtudent studying computer course with great aims at good job to make myself and my families proud.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Blues galore at Bengaluru airport
[quote]Aerobridges don’t connect, ladders can’t be pushed in time to the aircraft, baggage takes one to two hours to show up and flight schedules are going haywire. Welcome to the new Bengaluru International Airport.

The operator and hundreds of airport users are discovering the harsh ground realities. It has not been smooth sailing for BIA after it began operations on May 24. The operator, Bangalore International Airport Ltd, plays it down as the teething troubles of a new airport.

If the old HAL airport that closed down on May 24 was notorious for congestion in the air which added to the flying time, the newly opened airport 40 km away has been dogged by ground-handling hitches – which, too, are causing flight delays. Half-a-dozen low cost carrier and full-service airlines that Business Line spoke to admitted this on condition of anonymity. BIAL has picked Air India-SATS and GlobeGround as its ground handlers.

A common complaint is that flights are getting delayed by 45-60 minutes and refuelling is getting hit; most flights touch Bangalore and ground delays here cascade down to rest of the schedules.

The CEO of a low-cost carrier (LCC) confirmed, “We have taken some delays due to ground handling. This, however, is not unusual when a new airport opens.â€
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Ground realities
BANGALORE: Four days into operations, the Bengaluru International Airport (BIA) is still grappling with the city's robust air traffic.

Though the lack of onsite manpower and delays at every step could be sighed away as teething troubles, serious infrastructure issues are hampering airlines' business.

International airlines that were waiting for the BIA to open, after suffering HAL's limited space, are now applauding the latter's efficiency and facilities.

For one, international airlines, which fly wide-body aircraft, unlike domestic carriers, cannot park their planes even if one aerobridge is free. Reason: although BIA has eight aerobridges, only 4-5 wide-body aircraft can park because the space in between hasn't been accounted for.

As the BIA has a common parking area for international and domestic aircraft, incoming international airlines have to wait for two aerobridges to free up to park at one of them.

On May 25, a leading South-East Asian airline, after landing, had to wait for close to 45 minutes in the taxi-bay area before two aerobridges fell vacant. Due to this, other incoming and outgoing aircraft were delayed.

"I don't know how BIA claims to be an international airport when basic infrastructure has not been put in place.

Even though HAL had only three dedicated aerobridges for international flights, one could park wide-body aircraft next to each other," said an official of a leading international airline.

What's hurting the airlines is that idling on the taxiway is burning up precious fuel. Further, BIA charges Rs 10,000 for the use of its aerobridges for a maximum of 90 minutes, something the old HAL airport never charged for. With constant delays, airlines have to shell out lot more money.

Besides this, airline officials are also seeing red over delays in baggage claim.

"Baggage drop-off points at the terminal building are so narrow that only one tractor can unload containers at a time. During peak-hour traffic, one finds more than six tractors, carrying luggage of different airlines, lined up one after another, causing delays of over an hour,'' said an airline official.

"In our daily reports to headquarters, we have written that delays out of Bangalore are not in the airline's control, but due to the lack of infrastructure at the new airport," said a senior international airline official who has to send a report card explaining delays.

Since the airport has opened, TOI has received over 10 complaints per day, in the form of letters, e-mails and telephone calls, from passengers complaining about the lack of professionalism shown by BIAL.

In an SMS, one passenger said, "BIA is the most horrible new airport I've seen in 15 years. I'm seriously considering filing PIL against this unprofessional airport operator."

Meeting on the cards

With airlines getting agitated over delays at the new airport, senior domestic and international airline officials are considering a one-on-one talk with BIA's promoters.

Sources said the meeting will focus on the lack of infrastructure at the new airport. "We need to sit down with BIAL and ask them how we (the airlines) should cope with the dismal infrastructure. The airport must be upgraded at the earliest to ease the delays,'' said an airline source.

anshul.dhamija@timesgroup.com
And now the typical head-in-the-a$$ response

Everything is fine, says BIAL
BANGALORE: The promoters of the BIA have responded to the issues raised by airlines, denying that infrastructure problems exist.

In an e-mail to TOI , BIAL said, "The new airport has four aerobridges for wide-body aircraft. But wide-body aircraft also function from remote parking positions like it happens the world over. Normally, we do not have more than four wide-body aircraft at the same time (within a timespan of 1.5-2 hours)."

With regard to the delay in baggage due to space constraints at baggage drop-off points, BIAL said, "This cannot be true as the route to the baggage break-up area has four lanes — two each for entry and exit. There were initial glitches with the ground-handling process, which, in turn, had an impact on the overall operations chain, causing delay."

On issues relating to the constant malfunctioning of BIA's ATC, the airport operator clarified that "the ATC is functioning well. The initial glitches that we faced were due to ground-handling issues. A special task force is identifying and addressing any issues with regard to operations. We have taken action to ensure better ground-handling."
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

ATC had to be shut down and rebooted once one 1st day.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

I am due down in desh next month. I am already getting cold feet at the reception at BIAL. Folks are refusing to pick me up citing the traffic delays and have told me to get my musharraf hauled over by the Volvo.

:(( :(( :((

Atleast I hope I wont have to suffocate myself with the

a] urine smell
b] haggling porters
c] slimy taxi drivers
d] unwashed auto-rickshaw drivers
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Folks are refusing to pick me up citing the traffic delays and have told me to get my musharraf hauled over by the Volvo.

thats a common trend now. except for old people like parents, people are
abandoned now. nobody wants a 100km round trip in blr traffic.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

dismal lack of planning...someone forgot to check the B747 and B777
wingspans! this is criminal lack of design and oversight

TOI:

International airlines that were waiting for the BIA to open, after suffering HAL's limited space, are now applauding the latter's efficiency and facilities :eek:

For one, international airlines, which fly wide-body aircraft, unlike domestic carriers, cannot park their planes even if one aerobridge is free. Reason: although BIA has eight aerobridges, only 4-5 wide-body aircraft can park because the space in between hasn't been accounted for.

As the BIA has a common parking area for international and domestic aircraft, incoming international airlines have to wait for two aerobridges to free up to park at one of them.

On May 25, a leading South-East Asian airline, after landing, had to wait for close to 45 minutes in the taxi-bay area before two aerobridges fell vacant. Due to this, other incoming and outgoing aircraft were delayed.

"I don't know how BIA claims to be an international airport when basic infrastructure has not been put in place.

Even though HAL had only three dedicated aerobridges for international flights, one could park wide-body aircraft next to each other," said an official of a leading international airline.

What's hurting the airlines is that idling on the taxiway is burning up precious fuel. Further, BIA charges Rs 10,000 for the use of its aerobridges for a maximum of 90 minutes, something the old HAL airport never charged for. With constant delays, airlines have to shell out lot more money.

Besides this, airline officials are also seeing red over delays in baggage claim.

"Baggage drop-off points at the terminal building are so narrow that only one tractor can unload containers at a time. During peak-hour traffic, one finds more than six tractors, carrying luggage of different airlines, lined up one after another, causing delays of over an hour,'' said an airline official.

"In our daily reports to headquarters, we have written that delays out of Bangalore are not in the airline's control, but due to the lack of infrastructure at the new airport," said a senior international airline official who has to send a report card explaining delays.

Since the airport has opened, TOI has received over 10 complaints per day, in the form of letters, e-mails and telephone calls, from passengers complaining about the lack of professionalism shown by BIAL.

In an SMS, one passenger said, "BIA is the most horrible new airport I've seen in 15 years. I'm seriously considering filing PIL against this unprofessional airport operator."

Meeting on the cards

With airlines getting agitated over delays at the new airport, senior domestic and international airline officials are considering a one-on-one talk with BIA's promoters.

Sources said the meeting will focus on the lack of infrastructure at the new airport. "We need to sit down with BIAL and ask them how we (the airlines) should cope with the dismal infrastructure. The airport must be upgraded at the earliest to ease the delays,'' said an airline source.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I hate to say it but the only way to curb these inept swiss clowns maybe GOI by an act of parliament takes over 51% of the scam and beings in the CPWD and AAI to fix matters! coffee at rs 100 !! atleast HAL had a stall outside for coffee at Rs 5/-, right behind the ccday.

this airport seems oriented to only people on expense accounts.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Singha wrote:

this airport seems oriented to only people on expense accounts.
Welcome to the real world of Deve Gowda and Kangress
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

continuing with the whine-fest, the glory days of flying on low-budget tickets are gone. I find that Thai and Malay airlines are offering tickets at

mark up price:500 $ + taxes of another 500 $ :shock: :shock:

with a travel time of 14 hours :(

I would rather cough up extra 300 dollars and travel by sing-air and put up with the PYTs good service and shorthaul flight of 4 hours onlee.

Damn these amreekhans !!

Oil is creeping towards $ 150 mark.

:(( :(( :((
abhishek
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishek »

Can we give BIAL 3 months before we start whining? It’s a new airport with new staff probably consisting of people who have never worked in anything related? We gave HAL/AAI 5 decades and they didn’t do sh$t. So it’s fair enough to shut up for the first few months of a new airport and give an opportunity to normalize its operations. Let’s not read news from the Thames of India clowns and believe that the planners of BIAL screwed up.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

we are willing to cut them some slack on stuff like services, baggage belts
but architectural stuff like congested baggage unload areas on airside,
aerobridges spaces to take B737 only are not excusable esp when they had
all the worlds airports to study and ample time to prepare.

they probably thought international flights only come at night so occupying
two aerobridge frontage was ok. but increasingly the gulf and asean nations
are having daylight flights to india and so will europe once we are done
browbeating them.

so 767/787/747/777 have to be catered for in daylight when peak domestic
traffic is there.

they seem not to have anticipated this situation. solution is to extend the
terminal in a semi phase2 asap and build 3 more aerobridges and a large
departure area .
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

Solution is to handover Mysore AP to another private co., get it up and running fast, make it Intl AP, and provide 1.5 hr connectivity from Bangalore City using existing rail (two-laned). That and only that will keep these guys on their toes for the rest of their lives. This should be easy $-wise because existing broad gauge rail exists all the way to Nanjangud. The Mysore AP is quite close that track. It is also being doubled anyway.

Give them a monopoly and unlimited looting rights, they are going to be like this forever, and buy off all journalists and babus and goondas they can and treat you and me like scum because they know we have no power.

It will also boost traffic to Coorg & spread development inwards.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Suppiah wrote:Solution is to handover Mysore AP to another private co., get it up and running fast, make it Intl AP, and provide 1.5 hr connectivity from Bangalore City using existing rail (two-laned). That and only that will keep these guys on their toes for the rest of their lives. This should be easy $-wise because existing broad gauge rail exists all the way to Nanjangud. The Mysore AP is quite close that track. It is also being doubled anyway.

Give them a monopoly and unlimited looting rights, they are going to be like this forever, and buy off all journalists and babus and goondas they can and treat you and me like scum because they know we have no power.

Yeah.. Build it at Nanjangud or somewhere if these guys are stuck up with the 150 kms radius bit.

Why with the NICE road open, you can reach the Mysore airport faster from E-City and Southern parts of Bangalore, faster than Devanhalli.. Yeah.. Get Volvos , Benz and Man buses to run regular shuttles to that place..
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

EADS eyes production of aircrafts in India
BERLIN: EADS, the parent company of Franco-German aircraft maker Airbus, may start producing in India in order to be nearer customers there, chairman Louis Gallois said on Tuesday.

"If we want to sell in India, we have to produce in India. There are lots of engineers in India," Gallois said at the Berlin Air Show. "India is a priority country."

India is guest of honour at the Berlin show, which started on Tuesday.

The biannual show, the third biggest in Europe after Farnborough, England and Le Bourget outside Paris, includes 1,100 exhibitions from 37 countries and 200,000 visitors.

Emerging economic giants China and India are fast becoming key markets for aerospace groups to tap into growing demand for both civilian and military hardware.

In February, Airbus' rival Boeing and Tata announced an agreement to handle an initial $500 million of defence-related aerospace component work in the country.

India, which has bought defence hardware worth $25 billion since 1999, is expected to spend another $30 billion by 2012 for the ongoing modernisation of its military.

Gallois also said on Tuesday that he planned to travel to Airbus headquarters in Toulouse, France on Thursday amid Franco-German tensions over massive cost-cutting plans at the company, including the sale of factories.

"I shall be in Toulouse on Thursday to have contact with people because I can't accept bad statements through anonymous papers explaning things which are not true," Gallois said.

Airbus chief Thomas Enders played down the spat, saying: "You always find people unhappy about something. Today we may have some on the French side, tomorrow it could be Germans, British or the Spanish."
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

with NICE , the entire future southern side of metropolis can indeed
reach Mysore in 1.5 hrs esp if its a volvo bus allowed to cruise unmolested.
but are you sure such land exists ? the region is fertile and heavily cropped
afaik.

eventually I forsee Bengasore - a new twin city :twisted:
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

The only problem is the fertile land in between!! Bangalore can expand only from bearing 300 to 160. The south is jungle and west is Nanjunda country.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

saw this in co's internal ng. looks like a br-fanboy wrote up the specs.
website is up and running.

Airlift - Airport Transfer Services

We are starting a Airport Transfer Service for Bangalore. Since the New airport is far from the city and we feel that Airport Transfers will become very expensive for the Passengers and there will be a definite problem to commute to and from the New Airport. We are introducing our service to make airport Transfers less expensive and still provide the required luxury while taking customers to and from the airport. We will pick up the customers from the Airlift pickup points and drop them to the airport and vice versa bring them to the city from the airport.

Unique features of the Airlift Vehicle

· Airlift will be 6 seat air conditioned Toyota Innova. Individual Bucket seats for all 5 passengers.

· Airlift will have a LCD screen on each passenger seat for personalized entertainment system, these screens will show 5 channels with different contents.

· Airlift has ample overhead covered and secured luggage space.

· Airlift will be Wi-Fi enabled for passengers to browse the internet on the screens and as well as with their laptops.

· Airlift will be driven by our Auto Pilots who will be in uniform and well trained to communicate and present themselves to the customers.

· Airlift will also be tracked by GPS system to ensure efficient on time services and tracking every vehicle to make sure of complete security of passengers.

Airlift is being designed to provide complete comfort and help the passenger to use their commuting time productively.

Pricing: We feel that the Normal City Cab from or to the Airport will cost about 750/- to 1000/- one way. Our service has been priced at Rs. 300/- one way and moreover Return journey for to and from the airport will be Rs. 450/- per person. That is nearly 70% saving on the Airport Transfers vis-à-vis a regular City Cab.

How to avail the service:
Book Tickets online on our website www.airliftonline.com through Credit or Debit Card.
Pickup the Prepaid Coupons in any of the Retail Stores and call 9845047788 to make a booking or use the same on www.airliftonline.com

Support:
SMS AIRLIFT to 54545. Our support team will get in touch with you ASAP.
Call our 24/7 call center number 98450 47788 .
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

so I think its similar to some of the van Newark/JFK pickup services operating from NJ and CT. I vaguely recall taking it once. the pickup point was a rest area on garden state turnpike which was near my den.

looks easier to get a guaranteed seat than a Volvo.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

On what basis do they charge R.s 750 right now? At that price you could rent a car all day...
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Tanaji wrote:On what basis do they charge R.s 750 right now? At that price you could rent a car all day...
That is on extortion basis.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Tanaji wrote:On what basis do they charge R.s 750 right now? At that price you could rent a car all day...
No. No.. It is Rs 15 /km, which I think is pretty reasonable. given A/C and everything, considering that the normal city taxi. (crappy, dirty, death trap of a usually beat up Maruti Omni) is Rs 10 or 12 (cant remember)..

It is just that the new airport is nearly 50kms from most places..and hence the Rs 750. Live in Yelahanka or Hebbal and you wont pay that much I think.
Ranvijay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ranvijay »

First hand report from BIAL.

Touched down at 12:30, Indigo delhi - Bangalore.

The truck mounted ladder/whatever you call it, came in 5 minutes late. Nothing too serious.

Baggage arrived in 15 minutes, pretty good considering I waited half an hour at IGI and that BIAL is just starting.

Everything is clearly marked. There is no way you can manage to get yourself lost at BIAL. Unless of course you're a retard. The bus, taxi, everything is marked.

The place is HUGE. Though it seems like some birds have already made homes in the roof..haha.. :lol:

Got to the bus station, was supposed to go to koramangala and was waiting for the volvo, 20 minutes passed, no volvo. To be fair the guides at the station were very helpful. Had to take a non-ac 80 rupee walla bus, not that bad.

Was dropped at Christ college. After around 2 hours in the damn bus. Thats the worst part of this experience, the traffic and distance is too bad. And I thought Delhi was too spread out.

Btw, look out for the mountains on the highway out of the airport. Incredibly beautiful scenery if its raining. : )

on the whole, a nice experience.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

ze more of ze news on vulva buses ja!!
BMTC Bangalore Airport Transfer Shuttle Service Booking Launches on VIA

You can now book Airport Transfer to/from Bangalore Airport on BMTC Vayu Vajra (Volvo) Bus on viaworld.in

About the Service

BMTC(Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation) is launching Volvo (Vayu Vajra) services every one hour to the Airport and from the Airport to Bangalore City.

VIA is the only exclusive seller of BMTC Airport Transfers in India.

Steps to Book

1. Login to www.viaworld.in

2. Select Buses and Select Airport Transfers in the Search Box
(Currently we are also providing transfer from Delhi Airport to Punjab on Indo Canadian Transport Buses)

3. Select Bangalore International Airport as source or if booking to Airport select the Source
as the nearest pick up point in the city.

4. Search for Buses for the date of travel.

5. Select the Bus from the list of buses shown. You can also see pickup points and fares.

6. Select the Seat of your Choice.

7. Use your VISA/Mastercard Credit Card to make the payment confirm the transfer.

8. Print the voucher.

Important Instructions

1. Please carry the print-out of the Voucher to the Pickup point and present it to the Conductor while Boarding the Bus.

2. In case you get delayed at the airport or to reach the pick up point and miss the bus, the same ticket shall be valid for up to 3 hours so that he can board the next subsequent bus. The seat though is not guaranteed while boarding the next bus.

3. Tickets are non-cancellable and non-refundable

Fares

AIRPORT-1 : HEBBAL TO BIAL
Hebbal Kogilu Cross/Yelahanka to BIAL Rs. 80

AIRPORT-2: M.C.T.C. TO BIAL
a. MCTC Vijayanagar - BIAL to BIAL - Rs. 150
b. Rajajinagar Malleshwaram Bus to BIAL - Rs. 100
Stn. Bashyam circle (Sadahivanagar)
Mekhri Circle
C. Hebbal Kogilu Cross/Yelahanka to BIAL - Rs. 80

AIRPORT-3 : JEEVANBHIMANAGAR TO BIAL
a. Jeevanbhimanagar to BIAL - Rs. 150
Indiranagar Police Stn.
Halasoor Bus Stop
b. Taj Residency to BIAL - Rs. 100
Indian Express
J C Nagar/Dooradarshan
Mekhri Circle
c. Hebbal Kogilu Cross/Yelahanka to BIAL - Rs. 80

AIRPORT-4 : HAL OLD AIRPORT TO BIAL
a. HAL Old Airport to BIAL - Rs. 150
Hotel Leela Palace/ Royal Orchid
Indiranagar Police Stn.
b. Halasoor Lake to BIAL - Rs. 100
J C Nagar
Mekhri Circle

AIRPORT-5: J.P.NAGAR 6TH PHASE TO BIAL
a. J P Nagar 6th Phase to BIAL - Rs. 150
Jayanagar 4th block
b. Shanthinagar Bus Station to BIAL - Rs. 100
Bangalore club/ Richmond Circle
Basaveshwara Circle/L.H
Hotel Le meridian/
Hotel Windsor Manor
Mekhri Circle

AIRPORT-6 : WHITE FIELD POST OFFICE TO BIAL
a. White field Post Office to BIAL - Rs. 150
Hope Form
ITPL
b. K.R.Puram Railway Station to BIAL - Rs. 100
Kalyanagar

AIRPORT-7 : KORAMANGALA TO BIAL
a. Koramangala to BIAL - Rs. 150
Forum Mall/ Madivala Checkpost
b.Shanthinagar Bus Station to BIAL - Rs. 100
Bangalore club/ Richmond Circle
Indian Express
J C Nagar/Doordarshan
Mekhri Circle

AIRPORT-8 : ELECTRONIC CITY TO BIAL
a. Electronic city to BIAL - Rs. 200
Bommanahalli
b. Central Silk Board to BIAL - Rs. 150
Agara
Jn. Of Sarjapura Road
Accenture/Intel
Marathahalli Bridge
c. K.R.Puram Railway Station to BIAL - Rs. 100
Kalyanagar
d. Hebbal Kogilu Cross/Yelahanka to BIAL - Rs. 80

AIRPORT 9 : KEMPEGOWDA BUS STATION /KSRTC BUS STAND/RAILWAY STATION TO BIAL
a.Kempegowda Bus Station/ to BIAL - Rs. 100
KSRTC Bus Stand,
Railway Station
b.Hotel Grand Ashoka to BIAL - Rs. 80
Hotel Windsor Manor
Mekhri circle

Commissions and Service Charge

A Service Charge of Rs. 5 shall be charged extra over and above the price of ticket.

Customer Support

1. For any queries, you can further call us at 080-41431000 or email us at buses@viaworld.in
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

[url=http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/New ... 079707.cms]Now, Mukesh Ambani plans to build his own airport.[/.url]

After starting construction of a helipad at his Seawind residence at Cuffe Parade, Reliance Industries Limited chief Mukesh Ambani now wants to build an airport in Raigad district.

Ambani, who has a fleet of private jets including an Airbus 319, is developing the MahaMumbai Special Economic Zone (SEZ) in the district and has identified a site in Uran for the airport.

Although details of the project are not known, an official of the Navi Mumbai SEZ Private Limited, a Reliance Group company, confirmed the development and said the company was examining the feasibility of an airport. "'We are looking at it (an airport) as one of the possibilities. It is in a preliminary stage," the official said, refusing to elaborate.

Indications are that the proposed Ambani airport could be for private use.

The Centre has already given its go-ahead for the Navi Mumbai airport to be developed by the City and Industrial Development Corporation, but the project is still to get an environmental clearance.

Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel told Mumbai Mirror over the phone that the government would permit a private airport (for non-scheduled and charter operations) near Mumbai but added that he had not received any proposal for a private airport.

Sources said the Ambanis owns several planes and helicopters. These planes are parked at the Mumbai airport, which is congested and has little additional parking space.

Recently, a team of officers of the Airports Authority of India and the Directorate General of Civil Aviation inspected the site at Uran to examine operational aspects of the airport. The AAI's no-objection clearance is required from the point of view of air traffic management, and the purpose of the inspection was to examine the feasibility of an airport and aspects such as the required runway length and alignment, air traffic procedures, obstructions in approach path etc. According to government sources, the site in Uran is a marshland and is being reclaimed. However, there are some problems with the site, they said, adding a railway line passes closeby.

"Airbus A-320 requires a minimum of 6500-7000 feet of runway. Although land is available for construction of runway of that length, there are hills surrounding the site. There is an obstruction in the approach path. All the runways have safe landing points, which are marked.

However, in Uran, because of the hills, the safe touchdown point will have to be provided much further from the tip of the runway. Thus even a runway with 7000 feet won't be sufficient for landing of an A-320," an official said.

Sources said because of these factors, there could be restrictions on the take-off load. However, the AAI is still to give its final report on the feasibility of the Uran site.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

BIA’s teething problems?
Monica Jha & Mohammed Shariff

BANGALORE: Delayed flights. Time-consuming baggage arrival. Non-operational aerobridges. Delays in connecting step ladders with the aircraft. Lack of help for passengers. Lack of signages. Filthy toilets. Lack of proper announcements of arrivals and departures.

Small display screen that poses problems for sighting the schedules. All this and more at the new Bengaluru International Airport that was once vouched to be at par with international standards.

ALL-IN-ONE

Allen Joseph Mendonca, who arrived from Male on May 26 at 2.45 pm, complained: ''There were only two immigration officials at the counters to handle the long queues of passengers from three international flights that arrived within minutes of each other. Baggage arrival took an additional half an hour. It took me an hour and thirtyfive minutes to get to the terminal after landing. Of the six aerobridges that I could notice, only two were operational.

There are not enough buses to ferry people inside the airport, there is no proper process to hire a taxi, the air conditioners are not fixed in the cramped arrival area and everything seems to be done in a hurry and is still unfinished. The painting and marking for queues at various counters too are not proper.''

PASSENGERS COMPLAIN

Bhuvan Eshwar, an employee at Baltimore Washington Airport, arrived by an Air India flight from Delhi (New York-Delhi-Bangalore) on Tuesday night. ''Airport! There is no proper planning and operational management. The conveyor belts have no railings, the toilets are filthy, no facilities at all...'' Eshwar said.

ARE WE THERE YET?

A Kingfisher flight from Mangalore arrived at 10:27 pm on Tuesday. But Tapan Maji, a passenger on that flight, had to wait for over an hour to receive his baggage, only to wonder how to get to the city.

Many Jet Airways and Deccan passengers from Delhi too had arguments with authorities over the same issue.

WHERE ARE WE?

A South African couple Taylor and Allison were shocked when they realised it was not the same airport as shown in their guide book. At 12.30 am on Wednesday, they struggled with the taxi drivers to 'get out of the place,' only to discover that the budget hotel in Chikpet was more than 45 km away.

CUSTOMER-UNFRIENDLY

Suma Crawford, who arrived by Thai Airways flight late on Tuesday night, was accompanying her wheelchairbound mother from the US to Bangalore via Bangkok.

She says she has never seen such unfriendly staff, even towards disabled passengers.

WHITHER IMMIGRATION COUNTERS?

A Sri Lankan Airlines flight passenger Sheetal from Colombo, on Monday, complained: ''Immigration counters are on the first floor and baggage claim on the ground floor, but there is no signage to indicate this, causing lots of confusion amongst the passengers.''

DELAYED AND MISLED

Ramakanth K, who arrived on Sunday (May 25) on a Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt complained: ''We were made to wait for over 20 minutes in the aircraft after it landed. Immigration and baggage arrival took a lot of time. Meanwhile,my wife waiting at the Arrival was worried as there were no announcements and the Scheduled Time of Arrival was flashed as 2335 instead of 0005 (half an hour early).''

FUN-VISIT TURNS SOUR

A fun-visit to explore the new airport on Tuesday night cost Imteyaz Khan a little too much. He parked his car to go around and came back after a little over an hour. It was only after he was asked to pay Rs 200 for parking and given booklets on parking facilities that he realised he had parked in the VVIP parking.
jkarthik
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jkarthik »

Suppiah wrote:Solution is to handover Mysore AP to another private co., get it up and running fast, make it Intl AP, and provide 1.5 hr connectivity from Bangalore City using existing rail (two-laned). That and only that will keep these guys on their toes for the rest of their lives. This should be easy $-wise because existing broad gauge rail exists all the way to Nanjangud. The Mysore AP is quite close that track. It is also being doubled anyway.

Why can't Taneja convert their airstrip in Hosur into a proper ATR airport? Should address e-City needs, and still be relatively non-threatening to BIAL.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

BIAL says situation is improving

Excerpts
[quote]“The situation is now coming more and more under control. After six days of operations of the new Bengaluru International Airport, we can already gauge the improvements with each passing day,â€
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

There are many ways to squeeze the b..s of these plundering looters and get them to behave without violating agreements.

Just tell them they change their ways and stop ripping everyone off or GOI will tender for brand new airports north, south east and west of Bangalore at 151km and fine them heavily for every single violation.

For instance I heard in Changi Starbucks was allowed to open outlet only after they assured they will have atleast one item (coffee) at $1 something and not at their usual $4+ rates which is anyway less than what these Illy guys are plundering from third world Bangalore passengers.
h.jay.s
BRFite -Trainee

Post by h.jay.s »

Suppiah,

Rates for different outlets in Changi are on par with outlets elsewhere in the city. So although you would not be found sipping a $1 Starbucks latte, you would not be paying 250INR for a Snapple either.
joshvajohn
BRFite

Facing the dearth of commercial pilots

Post by joshvajohn »

Note: I do not understand with Indian government or military why more number of trainees are taken for Pilot training in our schools. It is essential for the government of India as well as private to take up issuing good and standard pilot training for a large number of young people in India. This will make many to fly and fill the demands of the companies in future.
I think the present aviation minister should take the fist step of increasing the intake of the trainee pilots in all schools.

Facing the dearth of commercial pilots

http://www.hindu.com/2008/06/02/stories ... 520200.htm
To face the crisis of acute shortage of commercial pilots, the age limit for existing pilots is being raised to 65 from 60. Private players are poaching from other airlines offering higher salaries. Also, pilots from the Defence services are being baited to join the commercial stream. All these are not sufficient to face the requirement of 18,000 pilots worldwide and 5,000 pilots in India in the coming year, laments Kumar Rajagopal, International Student Co-ordinator, Proflite Australia Flight Training Centre, Sydney, Australia. Producing qualified commercial pilots is the only solution to this, he tells Amutha Kannan.

“Though there are a number of training schools in India, they are unable to produce a high number of pilots in the stipulated time. Due to various constraints like lack of air space, runway, non-availability of aircraft and stringent Government regulations, they are able to complete the one-year course only in three years. Also, they get trained only on single-engine aircraft. For a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) flying a multi-engine aircraft is mandatory,â€
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

So near, yet so far
Anand Sankar / Bangalore June 01, 2008, 22:24 IST

The new Bengaluru airport looks a winner if it sorts out its teething troubles and connectivity to the city.

The grin on my face couldn't have been wider as I managed to find myself that elusive bargain budget ticket, but a friend tempered it with an evil smirk: "But you have to fly out of the new airport."

Yes, it was the first time I would be using the new Bengaluru International Airport (BIA). But I was unconcerned, the flight after all was at 5.30 am and the promised air-conditioned shuttle service would get me there in no time at that unearthly hour.

It wasn't pleasant losing the good old HAL Airport, considering I live just a couple of minutes away from it. But I was all too aware of its glaring shortcomings and the new airport could only be better.

The night before, I decided to try the internet to book my shuttle to the airport from the terminus nearest to my home — Jeevanbima Nagar. The website (www.viaworld.in) took its own time to load a clumsy interface and, to my friend's glee, the last shuttle departed at 12.45 am and the next one was only at 3.45 am.

Not believing my eyes, I rushed to the terminus, only to be confirmed – yes that is the graveyard shift. "There are buses that will come from the airport, but we can't say for sure they will depart," a driver helpfully explained.

The choice was simple — I either take the last shuttle or fork out about Rs 1,000 for a cab. One cannot even entertain thoughts of getting your dad to drive you 40 km at 3 am. I readied myself for a night in the departure lounge.

The bus arrived at 12.30 am, but it was not the last as they were delayed getting out of the airport. I don't know what to make of the idea to paint on the sides of the bus — a smiling aeroplane, complete with saucy pink lipstick. I hopped on and realised why the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation is not too enthusiastic about the graveyard shift, I was the only passenger.

The bus crew are definitely a happy lot. The conductor was quick to catch up on his beauty sleep after issuing me a ticket for Rs 150. The driver resorted to piped music to keep awake and I hummed along.

The drive was an hour and ten minutes.The ‘trumpet' loop that takes you to the airport from the main highway does its job rather efficiently.

The only bottlenecks are the incomplete roadworks in the city. But even with that complete, it will be optimistic to expect anything less than a two-hour trip from the heart of Bangalore during peak hours.

At the first glance, the airport terminal will not win any architectural acclaim. But it took me little time to appreciate its core philosophy — minimalism and efficiency.

I was not alone in getting in early. The baggage trolley came handy to put my feet up and I sank into the chairs, which are quite comfortable. I could hear the soothing tweet of sparrows in the distance, but I realised it was coming from right over my head. I did admire the feng shui of playing piped sparrow sounds to soothe passengers, but later a BIA spokesperson admitted — there are real birds nesting on the roof.

The check-in counters are adequate if properly manned, but the displays for flight information could have been a lot bigger for easy readability. The in-line baggage scan is worth the investment.

The area for the final security screening is again adequate. A lot of thought has gone into the positioning of the numerous retail spaces and one can say it does not encroach on the core functions of the building.

The aircraft apron is a world away from the teeming chaos of Mumbai and New Delhi airports and the rapid exit taxiways work. The take-off of Indigo flight 6E-132 to New Delhi on May 29, was a breeze. It was a sight to see a massive British Airways Boeing 747 parked at the apron, a sign of things to come.

I must admit, I do now look forward to landing at BIA, but getting to and from the city is a different matter altogether, I suppose.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Vijay Mallya in talks with European firm to co-develop business jets.

Vijay Mallya's UB Group, the spirits-to-airline major, has initiated talks with France-based EADS Socata, a leading aircraft manufacturer, to invest some $200 million to co-develop business jets for which India has now emerged as a hot market.

"We want to look at a global organisation that has service centres in place with tools to market in the country," EADS Socata spokesman Phillipe de Segovia said, confirming that the group was in talks with the UB Group and other Indian companies.

"We had earlier started talks with IndUS Aviation, an Indian-American aircraft maker with headquarters in Dallas, Texas, and Bangalore, three years ago," de Segovia said, adding that the talks did not progress.

A phone inquiry to Vijay Mallya was replied with a monosyllabic "no comment".

At the US National Business Aviation Association's annual meeting and convention in Atlanta last September, Mallya had pledged a personal stake of $200 million to the US-based Epic Aircraft to develop its very light jets.

He said these jets would be would be manufactured and promoted for India and the Middle East markets. Now, however, the deal between Epic Aircraft and Mallya is believed to be over.

Airbus, chosen by Mallya to be the consultant for a review on Epic and also to help speed up the certification of its new aircraft, has now involved him in the new jet being developed by EADS Socata.

The company, which is not new to India, is a wholly owned subsidiary of the EADS Group, which also includes Airbus Industrie.

EADS Socata, which manufactures the single-engine turboprop TBM 850, would largely compete with the Epic Dynasty, slated for certification late this year. It has sold 14 aircraft to the Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Udan Academy.

India has 179 aircraft registered for private, corporate and charter purposes, which include business jets, turboprop aircraft and helicopters.

Under 10,000 lb in weight and costing under $2 million apiece, a very light jet such as the TBM 850 has fuel-efficient engines, is commanded by a single pilot and has a capacity of four-six passengers.

Smaller versions can take off from 3,000-ft runways and these aircraft cruise at an average of around 425 miles per hour using smaller airports to facilitate the business traveller to taxi them from point-to-point.

Socata is planning its latest product launch next year - a twin-engine business aircraft and larger than the six-seat TBM 850 turboprop , officials of the aircraft manufacturer said.

Kingfisher Airlines, which Mallya owns, is a diehard customer of Airbus and its entire fleet comprises aircraft manufactured by the French consortium with firm orders for 42 more, including five mammoth A-380s.

Airline industry officials, who were at the Berlin air show last week, said that the booming Indian economy and poor airport infrastructure made the market quite lucrative for private jets since these are also affordable in the long run.

In fact, that was also the main reason why IndUS Aviation founder Ram Pattisapu wanted to add business aircraft marketing to the group's activities and address the growing need for ground transportation system in India.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

SpiceJet cancels 15 flights out of Blr & Hyd
[quote]Low cost airlines have starting turning away from the new international airports in Hyderabad and Bangalore with SpiceJet having cancelled nearly 15 flights in the South, with most of them from these two airports.

SpiceJet chief commercial officer, Mr Samyukth Sridharan, told Business Line that the airline now runs only one flight out of Bangalore and Hyderabad while flights to Chennai from Hyderabad and from Bangalore to Kochi have been cancelled.

“We expected the demand from these two new airports to drop which is what has happened,â€
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Bangalore: Visitors to Devanahalli Airport Left in Lurch

[quote]
M Raghuram/The Hindu

* Only passengers are provided with seating arrangements

Bangalore, Jun 3: The much-hyped Bengaluru International Airport (BIA) at Devanahalli has no facilities to offer to the visitors. The foyer of the terminal building from where visitors see off their loved ones has no chairs.

This was the scene on Saturday when Union Minister for Finance P. Chidambaram was at the international airport to inaugurate an ATM of a nationalised bank. There were at least 200 people who had assembled there.

Mr. Chidambaram’s flight was delayed and he came 2 hours 15 minutes late to the venue.

All the people assembled there had to stand. When some people asked the bank officials why there were no seating arrangements, they said, “BIA officials did not give us permission.â€
Rishirishi
BRFite

Departing from Bangalore Airport

Post by Rishirishi »

Does the new Bangalore Airport live up to the standards?

Asked the Hotel to book a TAXI to the airport. The Hotel offered an inhouse service, for 1000 rupees. The airport Taxi, are probably a few hundred cheaper. The airport Bus does leave from nearby, but as I had luggage, I choose a Taxi.

We left Koramangla at 9PM. As it was night, the traffic was not so bad. the taxi driver said that it can take up to 2,5 hours, but normally less then 2 hours.

You have to cross the city, and there is quite a bit of traffic. Once we were out of the city there was a 6 lane highway, all the way to the airport. The quality of the Highway is not comparable to international standard, but more like the standard Indian stuff.

At the arrival of the airport, the Parking is well organised and marked. it is logically made, easy to reach. Payvement is lowered and pedestrian crossings are made to easy.

The departure area, has a huge area, before you enter the doors. the area is under a roof, to protect from sun and rain. It a great thing, as there is no build of of croweds, waiting to say good buy (outside the doors).

The Check in counters are placed right in front of the entarance gates. This makes it easy to locate your counter. After check in, you go up an esculator, before the secutiry check. You have to pay 1078 rupees to the airport (applicable only to international travellers). Again the payment counter is placed just at the side of the security entrance. The area, before the security is well proportioned, to avoid build up of croweds.

Shopping:
The shopping area is a sad story, as most of the shops have empty shelves. There is hardly anything to purchase. But you will get booze and magazines and some perfumes. The airport has allocated a fair ammount of space to the shopping area.

Eating:
There is an Italian cafe, pizza hut and King fisher sports bar. The Italian cafe is expensive (RS 100 for a coffe, and Rs 190 for a dry chicken sandwich (claimed to be a ciabatta, but not tasty).

The Kingfisher bar serves a variety of simple foods. I got a red Thai curry with rice. cost was RS 270 and 60 for a coke. They have a fair variety but expect the prices to be double that of standard AC Bangalore restaurants.

This airport is in BANGALORE, but yet they have placed more emphesis on European style of food.

Toilets:
A sad story, the tiles are very bright and you can see any dirt and water. The whole place has a dirty feel to it. partly bacuase of built quality and partly because of cleaning staff.

The sitting area:
Again just in front of the gates, comfortable and modern seats, in sufficent numbers.

It is however clear that the Airpot is too small and can't handle much more expansion in traffic. (it is unbelivable how HAL managed to handle so many people). Construction of the new termainl needs to start ASAP.

Verdict:
Some people may argue that HAL airport was much better as one could reach the city faster. Had I had a chioce between departing from HAL or BIAL I would have chooes HAL (saves RS 2000 and 2 hours). However the fact is that you can't have a large international airport in the middle of the city. There is no place for it.

The built quality of the airport is not up to standards. It has nothing to do with choice of material, but more to do with craftmanship. Yet it is very easy to use. Everything is logically placed and easy to find. It also has a nice design.

The choice of food is limited, overpriced and not for Indian taste buds. I am not for Cheap food Joints, which create a lot of hassle, but what about a nice South Indian speciality place.

The toilets needs to be rebuilt and better managed.

The approch to the airport is not up to world class standards, but it is in line with what you can expect from contemprary Indian Infrastructure.

The charges of Rs 1078 feel unreasonable.
BIAL only allowes its own TAXI's to pick up passengers from the airport. This makes it expensiver to use, non airport Taxis, for a drop, as they have to go back empty.
I do not see any imideate harm in this. All the Airport TAXIS are new Renault Logans, clean, air conditioned and have fixed price. Much better to hop in one of thease, then having to face a crowed of drivers, with dirty and old cars. The strategy will raise the standards.

Final reflection.
When I was well seated in the Malaysian airlines 777, I took a peak out the window and saw a Thai Airways pushing bakc. Behind it was a Lufthansa Jumbo. Dozens of KF turboprops were parked, and an Air france Jumbo was Taxing on on the Runway.
Last time I was here in 1998, there were 5 flihgts a day to Delhi and the HAL airport did not even have a loading belt or bridges to the airplanes.

Within 10 years the city has direct flights to KL, LHR, CDG, FRA, etc etc. A modern and well built airport. A 6 lane highway and a train link is comming up.

Think about that, before you critisise India for not delivering World class infrastructure.
abhishek
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishek »

The airport is far only for people who live in Indiranager, Kormangala, Marthahalli, etc because the old airport was nearer to them. But for someone living in Girinagar, Banashankari areas the old airport still took 2 hours at peak hours…so the distance should not be a matter of complaint.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

you are right - for vijainagar, rajajinagar, malleswaram, RMV, BEL, sanjay nagar, sadashiv nagar ,yelehanka it is indeed nearer.

its just that for the most vocal 'core' constituencies in center like JP nagar,
BTM, Jayanagar, Koramangala, Richmond town it is farther.
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

Most it-comapnies are located arround electronic city, Whitefield, Koramangla, etc. It is quite possible that much of thease locations because of proximity to the airport.

Hence the matter of distance can't be ignored.