Indian IT Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Indian IT Industry

Post by Nayak »

Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Sapient sacks 160 juniors, cites lack of experience

[quote]
Vivek Seal/ DNA MONEY
Friday, 09 May , 2008, 09:12

New Delhi: Sapient Corp, the US-based business and technology services consultant, said its Indian business has “exited a small numberâ€
MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

MetaASO: A Bootstrapped P2P Startup From India
Written by Bernard Lunn / May 8, 2008 7:30 PM / 1 Comments

Anyone who has followed my posts on ReadWriteWeb, knows that I am interested in how innovation is going global, particularly innovation from India, and that I think P2P is the next great disruptive technology - the only one that could derail the Google steamroller. So it is no wonder that MetaASO caught my eye -- via Pluggd.in, a site that tracks Indian startups.

MetaASO is a self-funded, bootstrapped startup that claims north of $1 million in revenue. In fact, being self-funded, that means they're very likely profitable. I commented about this with some skepticism and here is how one of the founders responded:

"Some facts:
MetaASO is the name of the Company. Mermaid is the name of the Product Suite.
We started in Oct 2002 and our Release 1 happened 1.5 years back in limited circle beta. Full public Beta Release 2 happened a few weeks back.
There are 5 founders and the engineering team is of 20 people.
We can do a belle dance in front of customers but we never say 'Give us work.' We just mention softly that besides giving away software for free we also develop custom P2P softwares for organizations. And that typically costs around $300-$400,000 per software we develop. We have 3 enterprise customers. This is besides the money we make from ads on our softwares.We are not proud that in the 6th year of operation we have 3 enterprise customers. We could have made a lot of money by providing services but that would make us a yet another services company. Which we are not and don't want to be. So just enough to sustain ourselves, but our emphasis is on product development. We plan to do away with all services very soon and concentrate purely on product development."

This is smart self-funding. I bet they learn a lot from each enterprise job as well as getting cash. This is the classic "3 custom jobs to a product, iterating and generalizing on each project" that the enterprise software business has been built on for decades.

MetaASO stumbled at the first hurdle for me, which was that you need Silverlight and that means a PC (I use a Mac). So I would be interested in any first hand experience with their product. PC is still the best shot for volume, so I don't doubt the strategic wisdom of going that route.

The other requirements:

"Mermaid softwares can be used on the LAN e.g. at office, campus etc. with out any internet connection. To use them on the internet you require a "Globally Routable IPV6 Address" for your computer. Ask your ISP for one and it should get done within 15-20 minutes. They will do whatever is required. You don't have to do anything.

Apart from that a powerful computer always helps. And even though Mermaid softwares will run on 256MB RAM systems 1GB is good and 2 GB is awesome.

As far as the internet connection speed goes. We recommend a minimum of 256Kbps (for all our audio/video based applications) for the rest 128Kbps would do. But nowadays its best to get a 512Kbps or 1MBps connection if you are starting your own TV Station."

So one can see that an "enterprise first" strategy makes sense for MetaASO. I am not sure about getting "Globally Routable IPV6 Address" from your ISP. Has anybody had experience with that?

Get past those hurdles and the big message is "no servers needed." That's right, no supernodes, no nothing. Real Peer To Peer. Your very own TV station. Sounds like YouTube -- except you don't need a server farm costing gazillions.

This is the same idea that got me excited about Faroo. Two other similarities: both use Microsoft base technologies (no surprise, given the P2P focus), and both originate outside USA (Faroo from Germany, MetaASO from India). The latter maybe to do with the fact that funding is a bit tougher if you don't live in the Valley, so you tend to focus on things that are big enough to warrant the years of bootstrapping.

Go to MetaASO and check it out. Listen to their welcome message on their Pickle Player (no download). Is real serverless P2P viable for search or video?
MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

A litle old article but worth a read.

The State of Innovation in India
The fundamental issue in India is the risk/reward equation. It is simply too easy for a young developer in India to get paid a lot by an outsourcing firm; then enjoy being headhunted every year for more money. Those of us old enough to see a cycle or two, can see the parallels between Silicon Valley 1999 and Bangalore 2007, when just being able to spell the words of a popular programming language on a Resume meant fame and fortune. It is possible that when this comes back to some reality the motivation to innovate will come to young Indian developers (yes young; breakthrough technical innovation tends to come from people under 30).
sanjaychoudhry
BRFite

Post by sanjaychoudhry »

IBM vs. Tata: Who's more American?
http://inhome.rediff.com/money/2008/may/14tata1.htm
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Satyam faces $1billion damages .

Satyam Computer Services, India’s fourth-largest software exporter, could be staring at penalties in excess of $1 billion if it loses a case to one of its former customers, Upaid Systems, in the US federal Court in Texas.

On Wednesday, the Court of Appeal rejected a Satyam request that the case be heard in the UK, asking it to pay up the legal charges, too.

Satyam and Upaid, a UK-based online and mobile payments service company, are locked in a legal battle in the UK and the US on what the latter calls “forgery, breach of contract.â€
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Hewlett-Packard's Success With Buying EDS Depends on India:BusinessWeek.

HP is taking on IBM in the tech outsourcing business by buying EDS and how well it succeeds will depend on India. That’s right, India. The media is focussing on the difficulties of merging the different cultures of West Coast-based HP and Texas-based EDS but I think the real issue will be the availability and price of Indian talent.

IBM has been increasingly successful in managing the technology infrastructure of corporations because it moved most of the service labor to India in recent years. IBM is the leader in the services market with revenues of about $54 billion. EDS is second at $22 billiion and HP is third with about $17 billion in revenue.

Much of IBM’s success is to to the nearly 75,000 people working for it in India out of about 120,000 employees. EDS, with 140,000 employees only has about 28,000 people in India. That has pushed its costs higher than IBM’s. It’s operating margin, at 6%, is half IBM’s.

The big job for HP CEO Mark Hurd will be to find enough talented Indians willing to work at modest wages. That won’t be easy. Wages among India's tech elite have been soaring in the past two years. And IBM has locked up much of the talent (although now it may have to pay more for it). IIT and other elite Indian schools aren't graduating enough engineers to meet the market demand and lesser qualified students from regional colleges are being hired.

This could prove problematic to HP. Both IBM and HO should be supporting these regional colleges in a big way to boost the supply of highly trained Indian engineers and software writers.
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

IT companies go slow on hiring in India
A number crunching on their hiring targets reveals that the top six companies — Infosys, TCS, Satyam, Wipro, Cognizant and HCL — actually hired 2,500 employees less compared to 2006-07.
Not something new but gives an insight into numbers in last year and some practices followed before by HR. Havent been part of these "mass recruitments" for a long time but last time i was there HR guy was breathing down our neck to meet his target for the month.

Things may not go down a lot on this front but emphasis would sure switch from quantity to quality. Anyways for lot of things its never going to be same again.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Infosys set to join TCS in 1,00,000-employee club.

A key milestone is just weeks away. The country’s showpiece software giant, Infosys, is set to cross the one-lakh-employee mark, catching up with industry leader Tata Consultancy Services. While the twosome together would be within kissing distance of worldwide headcounts at IBM or Accenture, the two global leaders are also putting pressure at home with their own aggressive hiring. Infosys now has 82,000 employees on its rolls, but clearly sights 100,000 after job offers made in 1,050 engineering colleges across India.

“We have given 18,000 offers. This shows our confidence in the business. We will soon employ in excess of one lakh people in India,â€
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

it seems a IT campus housing 1500 people max over 500,000 sq ft
totals a electricity bill of around 1 crore/month. just the power for a 15,000 sq ft data center room is around 2MW. and massive diesel generators are obviously used for the data centers and labs.

I talked to a guy who gives customer demos of spooky way out type
concepts and he says they are attempting to cut the power bill down to
"only" 70 lakh / month using stuff like motion sensors that shut down lights
when nobody is around and more interestingly linking the AC to the outlook express tool for booking conference rooms so that AC runs only when room is used for meetings. the overhead lights in work areas have sensors that ramp the intensity upward as it grows darker and the ones near windows glow less than those in interior. some kinda variable airflow sensors also control the airflow throughout the buildings common areas. solar power for external lights.

there were absurd demos like telemedicine kiosks which need 4MBps
of bandwidth and a HDTV plus all instruments send data over the wire
to doctor directly...like a ENT doctors instrument. 4 Mbps to every
village in developing world...???

there's some kinda rating called "LEED" thats all the rage among
"green cos" these days.

another interesting facet I learnt is that regular engineering rats are
NOT allowed to enter the media / customer briefing centers (the famous
INFY pyramid is one example). only marketing and VP types from
engg get to enter. the furnishings and lighting are usually 5* quality and
there's plenty of attractive looking femme MBA types / square jawed sales gurus to keep the "decision makers" CXOs in good humour and
"engaged" with whatever spiel is being spun. seems engg rats only get a
penny tour on day1 and thats it.
prahaar
BRF Oldie

Post by prahaar »

Talking about energy consumption in data centers, i came to know of an estimate that by 2020, energy consumption in data centers will cross emissions from civil aviation! so much more spooky ways could be expected :-)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

aye it seems ranging from smart ways to store data (reduce disk drive activity), to better fan technology, to better chassis design for improved natural cooling (perhaps go vertical rather than blade servers?) , complex airflows around the racks using underfloor channels, low power CPUs...,
consolidation of data centers.

Power consumption is the most pressing issue for stressed IT managers smoking cigarettes and clutching their blackberrys.

virtualization is another good way to reduce server headcount thats why
its so popular. vmware , zen, microsoft are into it and oracle and ibm
are soon expected....I think ibm with its mainframe history will be a
powerful force there. vmware has "vmotion" to seamlessly move
entire "guest operating systems" from machine to machine.

HP it seems wants to come down from 150 sites to around 8 centers.
Sun microsystems is talking of doing away with its own centers and using
cloud computing to rent resources at cos who run data centers for hire
by 2015.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

another interesting facet I learnt is that regular engineering rats are
NOT allowed to enter the media / customer briefing centers
This is correct, I can vouch for that in Massa and UQ land. My company has swipe cards for access to these areas and us ordinary engineering types dont have those permissions.

I did get to see one though when I latched on to someone: swanky 60 inch plasmas (10-12 of them), plush carpets, PYTs, absolutely amazing sound systems... and many other electronic gizmos. Also, all the setup to mirror the Microsoft Devil Wears Prada commercial in practice..

Pretty impressive.
bala
BRF Oldie

Post by bala »

The green trend includes solar power on roof tops. Companies such as Google, MS$, Ebay are latching on to the trend with millions sunk in solar power. HP is going aggressive on the "green" label devices that HP sells.

Meanwhile Herr Balmer at MS$ recieves accolades Hungarian student hurls eggs at Microsoft CEO Ballmer
ravigupta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ravigupta »

Sapient has cancelled all the offer letters it gave to freshers this year.:evil: Many companies are delaying the joining date by few months.
And CISCO has resorted to downright fraud.It offered 7.1 as CTC at campus PPT and in offer letter it is giving 6.1 and delayed joining. :evil: :evil:
Sign of things to come ? :(
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

this was predicted here if you look back. many other cos will also likely
cancel the offers or give some deal like take a months salary in exchange
for canceling offer. or they will keep defering until candidate himself walk
away.

wrt to the CTC issue thats indeed very surprising. ctc = salary + target bonus (varies by grade) + company PF contrib in that co. they hire in so caller
tier-1 , 2 and 3 colleges and probably the ctc varies from tier to tier.
but its bad to show one thing and give another.
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

Tata’s supercomputer ‘Eka’ begins pilot work for commercial applications

Barely six months after announcing that its supercomputer ‘Eka’ ranked fourth in the global Top 500 Supercomputer Sites List, Computational Research Laboratories (CRL)—a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tata Sons in Pune, has begun pilot projects of several applications that would lead to commercialization.

According to sources close to the development, the main application areas are in aerospace and aerodynamics, automotive design and engineering, academics, animation, weather forecasting and so on, and CRL has teams are working on a library of software tools which will work with the application package to take it to the commercial stage. “CRL is working on several pilot projects. It is the question of the right application software being ported, tested and working on that hardware,â€
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Wipro restructures top leadership
BANGALORE: Following the appointment of Suresh Vaswani and Girish Paranjpe as joint CEOs, Wipro has undertaken a significant leadership restructuring and pan-global geographic re-grouping. The company has bunched its geographies into five and identified five chief executives to head each of these regions.
Its interesting that the mandate is to become top 10 tech firm rather then say top 3 IT service providers. This is a significant shift as Indian IT providers are realizing that linear growth is not manageable beyond one point
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

imho its OK to "split" into multiple medium sized area focussed cos who
do say consulting or product development while feeding / taking out people
as internal contractors from the mothership services division.

must be hell of a job to actively manage/control 100,000 people :oops:
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Well they are re-organizing on Geo basis and want to be in top 10 tech firms. The re-org based on consulting/product dev and services happened sometimes ago if I am not wrong but I dont think there was a focus on Product development. Consulting is treated as another arm to further the services and move to a truted partner category from the vendor/provider status.

How will they become top 10 tech companies without a successful product development arm and a portfolio of products....last time I heard solutions in place of products...that may be the new mantra for non-linear growth....

May be top 10 tech companies means top 10 technology provider companies....arent they already one or close to it..I think WIPRO should already be in top 10 list of of IBM, Accenture , EDS(HP)....
Sumeet
BRFite

Post by Sumeet »

Infosys Technologies Funds New Research Center at USC

[quote]

Center for Research and Education in Advanced Software Technologies will facilitate intercontinental collaboration

June 04, 2008 —

USC Viterbi School of Engineering and Infosys Technologies will collaborate to create a software research and education unit on USC's Los Angeles campus.

Infosys CEO S. Kris Gopalakrishnan and Viterbi Dean Yannis Yortsos
Infosys will fund the new Center for Research and Education in Advanced Software Technologies (CAST) under the terms of an agreement recently signed in India by Viterbi School Dean Yannis C. Yortsos and S. Kris Gopalakrishnan, CEO and managing director of the Bangalore-based global IT services and consulting company.

"Infosys’ global vision of engineering is compatible with that of the Viterbi School and the University of Southern California,â€
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian IT Industry

Post by Singha »

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

vijyeta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vijyeta »

How many newer/smaller cities have come up in the last 5 years that are developing as hubs for IT?

That apart, does the report say anything about the worsening infrastructure problems of existing centres? ( No dedicated civilian airport at Pune and Bangalore - amazing ! )
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Infotech Hiring shrinks by 40%

Expected trend as everyone is reducing the bench strength but once the productivity reaches a level hiring though limited has to start afresh to maintain it that level. So a dip first, a short spike follows and then it gets stable..

Attrition is still high which signifies the trend to hire experience people who can directly be placed in projects and has less on boarding time. But I suspect this to be more in 2-5 years experience band to maintain the margins.

Infosys 1Q results on July 11 will throw some more light on shape of things to come in future. But no more hiring 100+ people from same batch/college by a single company for sometime at least.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

War-chest of Big 4 crosses $5.2 billion.

Top IT services companies - TCS, Infosys Technologies, Wipro and Satyam Computer Services - together have seen their ‘liquid assets’ surpass $5.2 billion during FY08.
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Patni Fires 400 Non-performers

The headlines says it all. Whats significant here is that 400 as a number constitute 3% of total workforce for Patni. Patni follows TCS, IBM and Sapient in doing what was considered unthinkable few years back in Indian IT services sector.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Dark days ahead.

Heard from my cousin that heavy duty background checks are being conducted and mass firings are taking place in the top companies.

The most likely beebul under scanner ? Folks who lied on their resume in the SAP field.

Folks are being asked to provide their complete details and another round of verification is taking place.

Time to tighten up the lungi and hang on to that loin cloth for dear life.

No more pizza and burgers for the IT/VITY filks, dry bread and ganji it is for the future.
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

I heard about it but started to believe when recently one of my friends got a reference check after being in my company for about 1.5 years. Took me by surprise as he gave my reference and I actually got a call for verification. Dont know about the firing part as he was clean. He was from mainframe background.

Havent heard anything about mass firing part though.
b_karan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by b_karan »

Just heard some one saying that Oracle to fire 5000 iflex employee by year end ....is it true or a pure rumour ..any idea ???
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

oracle wont do it unless they are really hard pressed. 2 reasons:

1. Flexcube as a CBS is selling..they recently sold it to a major bank is AUS.

2. Gives a bad signal to companies who are target of accquistion for Oracle. Oracle has inorganic growth as part of its strategy and they wont like to create that impression.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Sounds like a rumor right now but then Hey you never know.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

mother gorilla is hiring but the problem we face is for experienced people there is
almost zero candidates in the > 10 yr bracket, very few in the 5-10 and below 5
out of 100s of resumes we generally get < 10 worthy of further pursuit.

managers tend to see recruiting freshers from good colleges as the only way
out to fill the manpower crunch. they deliberately make more offers than
expected reqs to account for some candidates dropping out.

nobody seems to inform if they wont come for interview or have got another
job. the true picture emerges only on the joining date here.

I think with the h1 situation being in doldrums, more and more of the
middle rung indian students are also going on F1 for higher studies
and joining cos there using the reserved H1 quota and 2 yr OPT period.
of those left, a good bunch migrate into Mba in a couple yrs - you always
see them doing some voluntary, training or organizational work on the job to
pad the resume with 'leadership skills'. another lot are on the management
track from day1, shmoozing with managers and directors at various events
and spending more time outside the cube than in.

with so many visionaries, change agents, self anointed gurus and thought
leaders floating around, I wonder who is supposed to do any 'real work' that
brings in revenue for the vultures to feed on and grab credit for?

:(( 30% of each co could vanish tomorrow and nothing bad will happen.
the hindrances and distractions might actually decline.
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

Singha wrote:mother gorilla is hiring but the problem we face is for experienced people there is

Lying is a part of the It business. Even large companies like Cap, Accenture, TCS etc all lie about their consultants experiance. Spoke to a client here and he said one of the large ones could supply plenty of +5 years experiance SAP consultant. :rotfl:

Consulting is actually con + sulting. Con you know what is, "sulting" is what you pay for :mrgreen:
Bharati
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Bharati »

Singha wrote: with so many visionaries, change agents, self anointed gurus and thought
There is a small percent of this work force who does all the work. This section takes pride in in working 24/7, thus compensating for many others who do nothing.
30% of each co could vanish tomorrow and nothing bad will happen.
This 30% is treated as 'reserve', the purpose of hiring 30% more than the actual numbers is to negate the effects of high attrition rates.

The end result is that 10% does 90% of the work, just like software :lol:
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Singha wrote:mother gorilla is hiring but the problem we face is for experienced people there is

:rotfl: Man, you are brutal and comprehensive when you make an observation. BTW: Some of those change agents also clear the $hit that the P&L guys leave on the street. So, in these times they are the ones who improve the bottom line :lol:
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

My good buddy managed to sneak into TCS. He was amazed by the lack of pressure in the job.

His team logs in at 10, chat on yahoo, check personal e-mails, take a long lunch break and disappear at 3-4.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I am so fcuking jealous. I have promised myself to give a shot at TCS soon.

My only conditions will be no onsite, 8-5 and no calls on weekends.

May allah take pity on me and give me a chance to perform umra in TCS.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

But the culture in TCS is pretty bureaucratic like no Jeans or Tee on weekedays :(( and top management is like old boys club.