Indian IT Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian IT Industry

Post by Nayak »

IT-BPO union to file PIL against 'extended' working hours

http://in.rediff.com/money/2008/nov/26b ... -hours.htm

Bibhu Ranjan Mishra in Bangalore

November 26, 2008 09:20 IST

The Indian arm of the Union for Information & Technology Enabled Services is planning to file a public interest litigation against the alleged 'arbitrary policy' of many Indian and multinational IT/ITeS firms in India who have, for the past two months, reportedly been enforcing longer working hours that violate the daily eight-hour working mandate of the Indian Factories Act, 1948.

UNITES, the country's first union in the IT-BPO sector, is affiliated to the Indian National Trade Union Congress. It claims to have around 10 per cent of the total IT-BPO workforce of 2 million as members, and said the numbers have been dramatically rising over the last two months on the back of lay-offs in the sector. The union is also part of Union Network International, which has over 16 million workers in 13 different sectors from 163 countries.

IT firms, on their part, insist that the Act is not being violated since IT workers have to work for 48 hours a week - eight hours daily for six days. However, since most IT firms have a five-day working week, they work longer hours, hence the misconception.

But some IT-BPO employees and UNITES are not buying the story. "The labour law in India allows an eight-hour working day, whereas in most IT companies in India people are involuntarily working for over 12 hours daily," R Karthik Shekhar, UNITES' secretary general for India told Business Standard.

He added that the increase of daily working hours from eight to almost 10 hours by Indian and multinational companies officially is "a double standard by the IT firms, who, on the one hand are firing people saying they are not getting enough work, and on the other hand, forcing employees to work more since they are getting more work".

He said UNITES has requested industry body Nasscom to step in to clarify the stance.

The IT sector in India was once the torchbearer of many best HR practices, including flexi-office hours.

However, the situation has changed on the back of a slowing economy. Global IT services firm Accenture, for instance, is reportedly planning to increase working hours by almost an hour with effect from January 1 next year. Infosys [Get Quote], India's second-largest IT exporter, too, has asked its employees' to strictly abide by the duty hours that the company has fixed as 9.15 hours a day on all working days. Wipro [Get Quote] also has stipulated 9.5 hours working hours a day, and is becoming much stricter in terms of timing.

On condition of anonymity, a team leader working with vCustomer, said: "In call centres people are used to long working hours. During peak season (December-January), they work even 14 hours a day. But now due to the ongoing crisis, expectation levels are very high. Performance is being monitored frequently."

A software engineer with Satyam [Get Quote] Computers, Hyderabad, added: "Earlier we could extend our project deliveries by a day or two. Now the management has mandated to deliver by the deadline otherwise it will be marked on performance sheet. Our performance is being evaluated every week. This was a norm from earlier times, but now the management is taking it seriously."

An engineer from Orange (which does IT and BPO support for the telecom major), concurred, "Besides the long working hours, cost cutting measures are worrying us, and the company has started ferrying seven people in a cab against five earlier."

An account manager placed with Barclays in Noida, said "The insecurity level is very high. Quality parameters have been raised and everything is monitored very closely, they are marking us down wherever they can."

Shekhar alleges that most IT firms do not display a "standing order" (regarding the eight-hour duty), which is certified by the labour department, on a notice board at the entrance of every firm. Instead, they have the order posted on the company's Intranet.

"I believe stressing on increased input is always a mistake - the industry needs to focus on more productivity and value creation on the output side," said Ganesh Natarajan, Chairman, Nasscom, when contacted. He, however, did not comment on whether Nasscom would be working on fixing a limit on daily working hours for companies.

"The IT industry in India still follows the best practices it had introduced earlier. But this does not mean employees will work less. If they are being asked to stick to duty hours, this will increase the productivity," explained Infosys Technologies HR head TV Mohandas Pai.

"Besides," he added, "they are also being paid well to work hard. These are difficult times and if they don't work hard then there will not be any industry left in coming days."
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Singha, I am not talking about stuff in books. I am talking about actual real life product that is currently being sold, installed and supported. Of course not in a massively complex setup, and basically L2 onlee.

One pet theory I have is the "direction of migration" principle. Cisco came "down" from higher layers into L2. Some other companies, including mine went "up" from transceivers and media converters. If you look at the product, we can tell which direction the mfr took.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

sure I know where you are coming from. no offence intended.

iirc csco's first foray in L2 was the kalpana/cresendo acquisition way
back in 1992ish. before that they were a nobody and neither was the market large. it can be claimed their L2 root is very initial.

they cannot ofcourse manufacture nic cards or sfp modules and hope to
make fat margins. their cost structure with 20k people in SJC and maybe
another 10K in other parts of US cannot support it.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Satya_anveshi wrote: How did she screw HP?
The Compaq merger for one plus her penchant for pi$$ing off just about all of her management underlings. Through acquaintainces also, I know a few people who worked under her and none of them had any good thing to say about her tenure. Her supporters will always say that she was a straight shooter with strong leadership but I guess the bull-in-the-china-shop approach doesnt always work too well!
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Main thing against Crisco was the fact that when we were looking for gear, they had high-end and low-end products, but nothing in the mid range that could meet our needs. Basically they were trying to push off their high end load balancers on us. Foundry was willing to work with us to meet our needs, so we went with them instead. This was early 2000s

Cisco hardware was way overpriced and underpowered for us. They used to charge an arm and a leg for a 386 CPU powered switch. Don't even get me started on the memory upgrade kits they had (which were basically repackaged Kingston RAM modules)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

well well well , I did implement a thing on a particular product to prevent other vendors sfp modules from being used :mrgreen: read a onboard eeprom for a key after sfp insertion and apply a algorithm to see that its "gorilla certified", else SHUT the port down :twisted: doing my bit for the evil overlords...
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

I have seen that behaviour more than once. You delebrately screw up when interoperating with other products and blame it on the other.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

in this instance, it was clearly asked of customers to buy only approved modules not third-party chipanda type ones.

during and after the telecom bust of 2001, lot of US based small suppliers
died like the guys who supply small chips and parts like oscillators ...
..and due to cost pressure, chipanda sources were encouraged by mgmt.
but hw engineers were saying chipanda stuff was very poor and unreliable
vs their expections. its costly to RMA products that die in the field and
diagonize what went wrong on hw front.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

True. Chipanda transceivers were notorious. Used to be less than half the price of Agilent, but crappy in performance. I used to design transceivers before moving to the current area. Really wondered how the chipanda made them cheap!! Just the silicon and the optics should cost more than what they charged.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

A Historic Collapse In U.S. Corporate IT Spending
By Daya Baran at November 25, 2008 0 Comments
http://www.webguild.org/2008/11/a-histo ... ending.php

The accelerating collapse in U.S. business spending has reached historic proportions - with record pullbacks occurring both in the current 4th Quarter and going forward, according to a survey conducted by ChangeWave. The survey was conducted between November 6-12, 2008 and 1,926 respondents involved with IT spending for their organizations participating.

Simply put, the IT spending projections for 1st Quarter 2009 are abysmal - the worst ever for a ChangeWave survey dating back to 2001. An unprecedented 45% of respondents say their company’s IT spending will decrease (or there will be no spending at all) in the 1st Quarter - 16-pts worse than our previous survey.

Only 10% say spending will increase - a 3-pt drop from previously.

Most disturbingly, spending is plunging at a time of year when we normally experience seasonal increases. This becomes immediately apparent when you look at the change from each November - beginning with November 2003 - in the Projected IT Spending chart above.

Nearly four-in-ten (39%) say they’ve spent “Less than Planned” so far this quarter - 9-pts worse than in our previous survey. Just 8% have spent “More than Planned” - a 4-pt drop from previously.

Moreover, in the aftermath of the U.S. presidential election, respondents do not see any immediate improvement occurring in their company’s IT spending. In fact, nearly half (48%) now believe IT spending won’t pick up for their company until the 3rd Quarter of 2009 or later - a two-fold increase since our August survey.

Labels: it spending
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Raja Bose wrote:The Compaq merger for one plus her penchant for pi$$ing off just about all of her management underlings. Through acquaintainces also, I know a few people who worked under her and none of them had any good thing to say about her tenure. Her supporters will always say that she was a straight shooter with strong leadership but I guess the bull-in-the-china-shop approach doesnt always work too well!
And who says merger with Compaq did not work and was not an imperative. That's what did the DELL in. She was good at strategy /vision and Mr. Hurd is good at execution. They have complimentary skills. If I may say, Mr. Hurd is a good COO and that is what all he has been doing (I hear from friends).

Look what has done in the name of merger: EDS. I mean is that you can do best? If you have waited and littl more, he would have gotten $X billion to "rescue" EDS.

And what's what $8 B buyback a few weeks before the crash and liquidity crunch. Is that strategy (not screw up).

IMO the transformations Fiorina had bought with her vision were great for HP; just that she wasn't good at cleaning. Differe time, different market dynamics, different strategy.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

they couldnt kill Dell though, its still alive and kicking after being down on mat for a while. for rack servers their typical price is almost 50% less than HP proliants...ofcourse they have a cheap plasticky feel.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Singha wrote:they couldnt kill Dell though, its still alive and kicking after being down on mat for a while. for rack servers their typical price is almost 50% less than HP proliants...ofcourse they have a cheap plasticky feel.
They never intended to "kill" Dell. Just the economies of scale to shift to their advantage. Massive capacity after buying CPQ. Driving business through channel will have a bigger drain on the margins (as compared to direct model of Dell) and that means you need to have good economies. That was exactly what Fiorina changed - a masterstroke in my opinion.

But something along what you say made me to "forecast" that possiblity of mergers among few players in the industry. Strangely BMC has bought BladeLogic recently forayed into this market and who know Dell+BMC is also a possibility.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I was in a presentation of HP's current server products today and their
rep mentioned Dell doesnt make its own bladeserver box but stamps their
name on another OEM box. anyone know who it is?
HP does have some cool bladeserver with 16 half-slot server/storage cards in front and a variety of LAN/SAN cards in the back (including a optional csco switch card). plus around 10 fans(rep was claiming based on aero engine principles not simple fan fans) and 6 power supply units.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Fiorina as you say may have had good long term vision (and perhaps strategy though her execution did leave something to be desired) but I guess perception counts a lot too in the game and frankly others perception of her strategy and actions was very very unflattering....both from the board and stockholder's viewpoint. Unfortunately unlike Amirkhan gubmint which allowed Dubya to pull all sorts of stunts,..c(h)orporate amirkhan is less forgiving if positive results are not evident despite all good intentions. In her book Fiorina claimed that the board did not share her vision. Perhaps she is right but she did not do anyone a favour with her brusque management style (and some say controlling nature) which ended up alienating her underlings. In the end all this affects the overall equation.

I still dont get what did the Compaq merger brought to HP in terms of gain and growth. Was it market share?.?.....technology??

Dell is still doing great...all the rack mounted workhorses we have here and most of the places I have haunted are all Dell.
Last edited by Raja Bose on 26 Nov 2008 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Singha wrote:I was in a presentation of HP's current server products today and their
rep mentioned Dell doesnt make its own bladeserver box but stamps their
name on another OEM box. anyone know who it is?

I remember hearing that before. When I asked one of my friends in Dell, he denied it vehemently! :D
HP does have some cool bladeserver with 16 half-slot server/storage cards in front and a variety of LAN/SAN cards in the back (including a optional csco switch card). plus around 10 fans(rep was claiming based on aero engine principles not simple fan fans) and 6 power supply units.
10 fans :shock: ....that thing might just take off like a plane!

What part of 'aero engine principles' are their fans utilizing?? One thing though we have had problems with the Dells is that their fans become really noisy after a few months (sound like a revving Habib Sitara all day).
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Raja Bose wrote:I still dont get what did the Compaq merger brought to HP in terms of gain and growth. Was it market share?.?.....technology??
This is a far cry from "it is amazing how Fiorina screwed HP" right?

the answer is - scale(capacity) and share, control, customers are some.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Satya_anveshi wrote:
Raja Bose wrote:I still dont get what did the Compaq merger brought to HP in terms of gain and growth. Was it market share?.?.....technology??
This is a far cry from "it is amazing how Fiorina screwed HP?" right?

the answer is - scale(capacity) and share, control, customers are some.
Nope I still stand by my statement :) In my perception she did really screw up HP and only now we see it recovering some of its past glory. Like I said the Compaq merger is part of it (if everything was so win-win about that merger with Compaq how come they lost most of their top execs after the deal went thru?) but also her particular style of management. HP was always a company with strong (and more conservative traditions) and she decided to bull her way through and turn everything upside down. Her cavalier handling of the massive layoffs due to the merger was hardly an example to emulate. Some may consider that that kind of radical change is good but in my opinion that always seems to be looking for trouble especially when your radical initiatives don't translate to postive results....you have a lot more pi$$ed off people. And this opinion is not just held by me (who has only dealt with HP but never worked for it) but also echoed by several senior and currently retired people who used to work there, whom I know and respect professionally.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

aaah...the day before Thanksgiving....nobody's here...all abduls are with their ayeshas onlee....I think I'll take off early too and beat the traffic to the beach 8) Google jehadis are probably still going to pull customary all-nighter over Thanksgiving weekend.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Raja Bose wrote:In my perception she did really screw up HP and only now we see it recovering some of its past glory. Like I said the Compaq merger is part of it (if everything was so win-win about that merger with Compaq how come they lost most of their top execs after the deal went thru?) but also her particular style of management.
OK. Boseji. I will let you be with your perception :). I am not defending Fiorina but just trying to convey that the same strategy (her's) is being played out even today. There is also an assumption you are making that top exec's leaving is a sign that merge not working out. When two (big) companies from the same industry offering almost similar product lines merge, the result will be (and should be) same more or less. Do you have any other precendent besides oil companies where this did not happen?
Some may consider that that kind of radical change is good but in my opinion that always seems to be looking for trouble especially when your radical initiatives don't translate to postive results....you have a lot more pi$$ed off people.
How does the numbers (of workforce reductions) compare during Fiorina's and Mark Hurd's tenure? I read somewhere that HP is reducing 25K over next few years over an above over 10K in the recent past. where doe that leave? you will find 2 for 1 people who are pi$$ed due to layoffs under Hurd.

OK...Shall we agree that she is/was one beautiful bimbo? :)
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Link
Wipro to recruits: Join BPO for now
27 Nov, 2008, 1424 hrs IST,TNN
Print Email Discuss Share Save Comment Text:
BANGALORE: India’s third largest software exporter Wipro is asking its latest batch of recruits from engineering colleges if they want to join i
ts business process outsourcing (BPO) division instead of the technology services unit for which they were originally hired.

Wipro said it is offering the option because it sees delays in the joining dates for some batches of recruits due to the ‘current business environment.’ According to sources, the students have been given the option of working in the BPO division for a year and later they could be shifted to the IT services vertical. The salary from the original offer remains unchanged.

“Every year campus joining is spread out over the four quarters. This is done for logistical reasons of training and seating. Staggered hiring programme and timelines are also closely linked to our business. Due to current business scenario, we estimate delays in joining dates of some batches of recruits. We are providing them an option of a role in our BPO division. The objective is to let engineering graduates commence work without delay,” Wipro Technologies’ vice president-Talent Acquisition, Pradeep Bahirwani, said.

He declined to comment on the number of recruits who have been given the option or when they were due to join.

The company has made offers to a total of 14,000 students for the 2008-09 fiscal. Wipro said last month that it expects revenue from its IT services business for the October-December third quarter to remain almost unchanged from the $1.1 billion in the previous three-month period because of the deteriorating global economic situation.

Reacting to the slowdown in the key US and European markets, software industry grouping Nasscom is due to revise lower its forecast of a 21-24 per cent increase in IT services exports during the 12 months to March 2009.

There has been a lot of apprehension among students that the difficult economic situation may result in tech companies not honouring the job offer that have been made. But the country’s top three IT services provider--TCS, Infosys and Wipro--have steadfastly maintained that they will keep their word.

At the end of September, Wipro employed nearly 62,000 staff in its IT services business and about 21,000 in the BPO division. It also makes strategic sense for Wipro to recruit the new engineering graduates in the BPO unit as this vertical regularly witnesses higher attrition rates than the IT services division.
:roll: :roll:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

HR might spin it as setting up their client facing skills and preparing them for managerial and business roles later.
Jayram
BRFite

Post by Jayram »

Re HP
Compaq merger was all about scale. Both these companys had weak leaders who felt consolidaton was thier only hope. Compaq was good for HP in this way - It became a 2 way fight between Dell & HP in PCs. Compaq is viewed inside HP as a success only becuase it eliminated a competor nothing else. It was a perfect oppurtunity for Carly to start eliminating overlap functions. The merger did not briing any technology to the table that HP did not already have except perhaps for the the nonstop technology (ie Tandem which itself was an offshoot from HP but that is another story).
Carly was a major failure inside of HP because she lost credibilty inside of HP. She did not posess the wherwithal to carry the techy employees. She became too ivory tower with a high profile to boot with appearances at Davros to landing at an employee meeting in a helicopter with bodygards( reportedly packing major heat). She was fired on her way back from one of those jamborris at the airport lounge no less.
But to her credit she initiated the major changes that HP needed including layoffs. Before her HP in its 65 year history was not a company that did layoffs no way no how. She started the necessary changes in HP and unfortunately for her accompanied with lack of stock performance (that coincided with the rise of DELL ) made her the lighting rod. A public fight with lots of diirty laundry and tactics that would make even our political parties blush against the son of HP founders in the Compaq merger made matters even worse. She had to go.
Mark on the other hand is a brillant numbers guy and quite ruthless. If old HP employeess thought they were worse off under Carly Mark was equally a change agent. However there was a major diff Mark cut HC and made it count in the bottom line. HP results have soared even as employees have been slogged to produce more and more with less. The result HP resembles more and more the consulting culture of the big six with long hours with adequate remunaration and zero guarentee of job security even if you are a good to avg performer.
Mark has postioned HP very very well for the current economic downturn except that employees will not take too much pride in that becuase they know the price that have paid to get there and will undoubtly have to pay in future to stay there.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

I remember reading Micahel Dell's interview when he was questioned about the implications of HP-Compaq PC business integrating and threatening his No 1 Position and he had replied "Its good, we will have a bigger butt to kick".
Jayram
BRFite

Post by Jayram »

Vipul wrote:I remember reading Micahel Dell's interview when he was questioned about the implications of HP-Compaq PC business integrating and threatening his No 1 Position and he had replied "Its good, we will have a bigger butt to kick".
Right well the shoe is on the other foot now isnt it?. The rise of affordable laptops and consumers wanting to touch and feel them leading to the much publicised DELL entry into WALMART (still not significant BTW) put paid to DELL's lead. Follow that up with thier failed entry to the biggest market out there ie Printers and DELL started falling behind. Unfortunatley thier product Quality/Tech Support started slipping as well and thier much vaunted market share lead and growth rate fell behind HP. Well the Founder is back at DELL and margins are wafer thin in this industry so times will stay intresting. But for now HP seems to have a better product line up and better marketing backed by ruthless cost cutting at the back end.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Satya_anveshi wrote: OK...Shall we agree that she is/was one beautiful bimbo? :)
Satya ji Image is beautiful :mrgreen: ....Image is not beautiful. Neither are bimbos!! :D
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

who is the first woman?
Raj
BRFite

Post by Raj »

Singha wrote:who is the first woman?
http://research.yahoo.com/bouncer_user/78
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

First motorhama is Sihem Amer Yahia from Yahoo! Research. Second Motorhama, who is engaging in mukkebazzi is ofcourse ex-quaid-e-HP Carly Fiorina.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

nortel recently disposed off its indian sw operations by rebadging them as IBM etc. some people also left at this juncture.

word from my spies in amirkhan is they arent having reductions at this juncture because of no cash left to pay severance pkgs and unclaimed ptos.

my source was claiming the entire co has now been structure into
two parts to make it ready for sale - enterprise & carriers and the
sales org has also been split in two.

they are hoping to sell out when situation improves.

another friends co in MA is down to 5 people now from 150 a few yrs ago.
Manish Jain
BRFite

Post by Manish Jain »

And Adobe too announced a reduction in headcount by 600. They're closing down 2 offices in US, 1 in canada and reducing people in India as well.

600 is official figure, I guess many more are being told to leave on performance basis, which is outside the lay-off numbers.
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Singha,

Your source has read the tea leaves correctly as per my source.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

yes my spy reports directly to a VP, so he is in the know.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Satyam plans to send staff on sabbatical to trim costs
4 Dec 2008, 0143 hrs IST, ET Bureau

HYDERABAD: Satyam Computer Services, the country’s fourth-largest services exporter, is taking a cue from its rival Infosys to trim costs as the
global slowdown could impact revenues.

The company is looking at sending its employees on a sabbatical, but will take a final decision depending on the third-quarter results. Satyam has already scaled down its hiring projections for the current fiscal to around 8,000-10,000 compared to 15,000 that it had earlier projected.

“We are looking at various options to reduce costs and sabbatical is one such option. We will be able to shift our employees to take up social activities relating to our own corporate social responsibility programmes. Employees can also look at working with NGOs during the time of sabbatical. But, they will have to compromise on their salary during sabbatical as the pay structure will be lower than what they are currently drawing,” said SV Krishnan, global head (HR), Satyam Computer Services.

According to him, the firm will finalise a decision depending on its third-quarter result. “If the result is in line with our expectations, we may not adopt any drastic cost-cutting measures,” he said.

Currently, Satyam employs 47,000 people in the IT services segment. Inclusive of the BPO arm, the overall headcount is around 53,000. “It is not a viable option to shift IT employees to the BPO subsidiary as it is engaged in specialised works,” said Krishnan.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Business Line
40 sacked for fudging travel bills: Satyam
Tuesday, 02 December , 2008, 11:14

Hyderabad: Close on the heels of giving pink slips to a few hundred of its associates, Satyam Computer Services has sacked 40 employees on the allegations that they fudged travel bills.

“We take a strong view on this issue. We reimburse employees’ travel costs as they go on trips and relocate. When they are not using the bookings done at the company offices, they submit bills given by the service providers,” a Satyam spokesperson said.

“In this case, we found that the bills were fudged over a period of three months,” the spokesperson added.

The idea is to send a strong message to the staff on this issue, keeping in mind the increasing travel costs.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Singha wrote:Business Line
40 sacked for fudging travel bills: Satyam
Tuesday, 02 December , 2008, 11:14
What nonsense by satyam.
If Satyam wants to fire people, fire them but show some class. Don't fire people with some cheap excuses :evil:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the L-word always generates bad publicity.

any other excuse will do and reimbursements and rent receipts is always one grey area here.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

garbled rx on tidls today afternoon. fwiw.

zapak dot com (a adag co) has closed its blr office and is pulling back to its original mumbai base.

philips is planning a bigtime rif in blr. (but this runs 180' to what they were claiming a month
ago http://www.financialexpress.com/news/Ph ... jor/42437/ )
could be all the audio/video products & staff are being radically EOLed.

time will tell.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Most of the information on Nortel is correct, though I dont think its being structured to be sold. The Metro Ethernet Networks division, a part of Enterprise is up for sale, which is strange since it has promising 40 G and 100G interfaces that have found a lot of traction.

Wireless is a goner, unless LTE saves Nortel's bacon. WiMax was/is less than a success than they thought it would be.

All in all not easy for them. The bit about less layoffs because of no money is true looks like.