Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Primus
BRFite

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Post by Primus »

AkshaySG wrote:So Motera is now Narendra Modi stadium and the two ends are Adani end and Reliance end lol

Gotta admire the guts to consider that stick with that naming scheme considering the opposition all 3 are currently facing.
And the intense randi-rona has started, by the usual liberandus and their acolytes :mrgreen:
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

AkshaySG wrote:Gotta admire the guts to consider that stick with that naming scheme considering the opposition all 3 are currently facing.
Why guts ? If I'm in Modi's place and I have to undo decades of ridiculous personality cult around one family naming hundreds of things after themselves, what would I do ? I'd name a big bad stadium after me. To troll them further, I'd name the two ends of the stadium after the two billionaires they keep whining about.

Then let the whole argument take its course. Opposition will demand no naming of monuments after public personalities. Government passes law changing the names of everything to remove all the accumulated JLNs, IGs, RGs, SGs from various things. Opposition prides itself on having removing Mudi's name from nice new stadium - the only thing on the planet named after him besides himself. Rejined Mudi smiles now that all the Nehru/Indira/Rajiv/Sanjay-named things have had names erased.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Somehow, I am not a fan on this renaming. Perhaps because the stadium was earlier named after the Sardar. Though the sports complex would still be called Sardar Patel sports complex, it's usually the stadium name that shows up on TV, and hence gets visibility. Surely there are enough doddering structures named after the famiglia that could have been demolished, rebuilt and renamed? That would give a better burr for the usual suspects without having to mess with the few structures named after folks outside that famiglia, and not generating conflicting feeling in some folks like moi.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Destroy and rebuild ? Why ? Does the person in question strike you as someone so megalomaniacal ? Further, consider consider the public implications of such acts. The easiest way to deal with this is openly troll the whole naming exercise. It’s like RaGa stadium with Soros end and Thunberg end. Anyway better to move this to politics thread before some mod bans me :eek:
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

When a mod himself is worried about a ban :shock: :mrgreen: ... replied in the politics thread.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

pitch is a sand pit :eek:
over 15 wickets for 127 runs in a day
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

2 din me 5 day match samapt :mrgreen:
goron me hahakaar
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

17 wickets and just over 176 runs in a day. First test to be over in TWO days in India? OZ,Pak test was over in Two days in Sharjah.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

The pitch was worst than chaupati beach. 112 all out and then 145 all out, 81 all out, 49 to win. :(
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

I don't know about that. The pitch seemed quite true. The puffs seemed exaggerated but that just seems the nature of the top layer. I'd say the pink ball was the bigger factor.
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

This stadium was never called sardar patel stadium. It was always called motera stadium. There is another stadium in Ahmedabad called sardar patel stadium.
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

Adani was sponsor of one end of the pavilion before the new stadium was built and other end was called GIDC end. Now reliance is a new sponsor of that end.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

If they really wanted to troll they should have named it Trump Stadium :))
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Sumeet
BRFite

Post by Sumeet »

Nice and very balanced discussion in the video above. Nasser and Atherton make great points. Rob Key is trying to push bad pitch blah blah agenda but he was countered well by both of those guys.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

amdavadi wrote:This stadium was never called sardar patel stadium. It was always called motera stadium. There is another stadium in Ahmedabad called sardar patel stadium.
Thanks. That clarifies things for me, at least. So this is an entirely new complex and should be described as is. There is too much haze in media reports.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

We are playing the 4th test and 5 T20Is on alternate days in the same stadium. Talk about scheduling and work load management. Then we are playing 3 ODIs all in Pune. I hope at least they make different pitches. I guess it's still better than the world cup where several matches were played on the same ground and each pitch had to be reused. Modi stadium ground seems to be big enough to make seven different pitches and still not skew the boundary dimensions too much.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

This is one of the best cricket articles I’ve ever read - Karthik Krishnaswamy on the Harbhajan performance in 2001 against Australia. Amazingly well researched, quoting various parties and describing what happened behind the scenes:
When Singh was king
Australia went out of their way to try to tar him as a ‘racist’ later, just to avenge the humiliation of this series.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

thanks Suraj da! Wonderful read!
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

Suraj wrote:This is one of the best cricket articles I’ve ever read - Karthik Krishnaswamy on the Harbhajan performance in 2001 against Australia. Amazingly well researched, quoting various parties and describing what happened behind the scenes:
When Singh was king
Australia went out of their way to try to tar him as a ‘racist’ later, just to avenge the humiliation of this series.
Singh was and remains a "king" of Indian cricket but his and some of his ilk's (read Yuvraj, Bedi et al) public animosity towards Ashwin, Jadeja and Co really leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Both Ashwin and Jadeja have time and again proven their credentials and that too on all kinds of pitches but this repetitive talk about their figures being inflated by pitches is just unnecessary, Especially when it comes from fellow Indian legends.

If Harbhajan should get more credit the current gen for performing on supposedly " flatter" wickets of mid 00's then VK, Pujara etc should also get more credit than the Fab 4 for scoring big on supposedly tougher wickets of today.

India has always had spin friendly wickets and that hasn't changed.. What has changed is the fact that players play far less first class cricket so face less threatening spin than they used too and the likes of Pak, Sri Lanka either don't tour here or are too weak as compared to 15-20 years ago.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

There's not much to see here, honestly. Old players harrumph and complain about the new generation. There's an element of jealousy particularly between the pre and post IPL eras - the present generation can seek monetary rewards the old folks cannot even dream of. Best to let them say their piece and nod and move along. There's no gain in adding to it in any form whatsoever, particularly not in reacting to Bedi.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... 7430/lite/

England not to lodge complain about Motera pitch after India promises batsman friendly pitch & bumper runs wicket in next match
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

whatsapp onlee

Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

I never understood the angst about 'bad Indian pitches'. The pitch is the same for both sides, no? Just like Indians are not supposed to complain about the super bouncy, pace-friendly tracks of Gabba and such.

If Indian spinners can work their magic, why can't others? If Indian batsmen can score centuries on 'flat tracks' and then be called bullies, why can't others?

Granted, it does leave a bad taste for a 5 day match to end in just two days, but that is a separate issue.

Tum karo to chamatkar, hum karen to balatkar?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

The English have a constant trend of pettiness . It's a cultural and character flaw of theirs. Everyone has flaws, after all. Here are some I can note, seen through an Indian perspective.

Australia

A pronounced sense of superiority in sporting matters. Since the 70s, they've normalized gamesmanship, sledging and bullying as 'part of the game', to be kept to the pitch and then resolved 'with laughs over a beer'. So what does if multiple teams don't like to go to the bar after play, or are teetotalers ? They set up a siege mentality for visiting teams, goading them to failure. The press is blindly partisan. Every series is preceded by 'we are gonna win this N-0' where N is the number of tests. It's great psychological warfare and often works. Only three countries have ever won back to back series in Australia in the last 100 years: Windies, SA and India. England last did that in 1886. Between them, TSP, SL and BD have lost every test match played in Australia in the 2000s.

The good thing about Australia though, is that they aren't petty and are too proud to whine. They won't spend all tour complaining about the harshness of India. As a frontier culture they're tougher than that. They know what they're going to face, and like NZ, are practical about accepting and working with the circumstances. They don't respond to losses with pettiness and trying to devalue the other side's accomplishment. They'll just try to bully more in the next match 'the Australian Way'.

NZ

Mostly like Australia, but without the rough edges. Also a young frontier culture, and also aware they don't hold many cards to complain about. Very good at adaptation. Very bloodyminded and competitive.

England

The English still treat India tours like an imperial expedition and 'blame the natives' for their lack of comfort. Despite 3-4 generations since independence, this strain of belief has not gone away. No English player has the sort of interest in knowing India that Steve Waugh, Jonty Rhodes or some others do. They lack Australia's resilience. While Australia have won back to back Ashes in England many times, England have not won consecutive series in Australia for 130 years. India just accomplished that.

Very quick to think the world centers around them and their world view. Pitches where the ball swings is normal. Cold, damp windy conditions are 'normal'. But ball turning on Day 1 means 'bad pitch'. They live in a country where cricket season is about 3 months at most, even that often interrupted by bad weather, and make a virtue of that. In most cricket playing countries no one likes even going outside in that weather, much less playing an outdoor sport on an open field.

Claims to be the paragon of fair play, as well as its judge, but seems immune to the irony of their own pettiness demonstrating their lack of fairness. Australians say England are easy to mindf*ck because they can be railroaded into defeat by some bullying - which causes England to whine and blame everything about the circumstances (even though those are the same for both sides) and in the process they can't focus on improving themselves.

TSP

Not much that's not already known. Mercurial. Unhinged at the prospect of taking on India. Often fall apart facing us (e.g. WC games due to too much pressure on themselves. Once in a while able to perform great performances (e.g. CT17). They used to do that quite often in the 80s and 90s when they were on the psychological ascendance, but then fell apart along with their general society. An entity we feared and loathed at one time, but the current generation has no fears or mental traumas about that, and will play them on their merits and as the better team in most conditions, will likely win most matches too. When they actually happen.

SA

Not much history. There was an undercurrent of Afrikaner apartheid driven sense of superiority in their early 90s teams. One could tell 'yeah this guy I could sit and chat with, that guy my sixth sense tells me I would not enjoy the company of' . That mindset among Indians I think only existed among that 90s SA team. Back then one could still note traces of superiority from the SA media and press. Seems to have evaporated in the 2000s and especially 2010s as SA are less potent and India's financial power means the power dynamic makes it clear to them who the bigger dog is. Good travelers to India in general.

SL

A great team for a while, but which has since gone back to their natural level as they lost some once in a generation players. They carry a sense of pettiness when it comes to India - often wanting to 'show us', but often lacking the ability. They do things like deliberately bowl a no ball when there's one run to win / to someone's century. India just shrugs and ignores it. There's a symbiotic relationship with their cricket board - they'll happily do LOI tours to make some extra $ and we'll happily host some to keep the calendar filled.

BD

SL's pettiness on steroids, without anything like their capability. They could be a better team if they didn't spend so much time focusing on the chip on their shoulder. Probably the only team that values beating India more than TSP. They ought to have gotten a much better team by now than they have, but the failure is most likely self inflicted.

WI

Once a great side, now a shadow of that. A little sad. They're good folks. They carried a sense of victimhood against England for a long time, ably helped by England's tone deaf sense of superiority. WI vs England were targeted act of harm against the latter in the 1980s, particularly if the English player had been on a rebel tour to SA back then. Connections to India from the Guyanese players, and of course Viv Richards and Neena Gupta.
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

At 9.45, Ashwin's reply is hitting the ball out of the park. :D
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

Exciting non-cricket sports scheduled in March and leading to Olympic.

March
=====
Wrestling - Matteo Pellicone Ranking Series
ISSF - Delhi World Cup
Hokcey - Europe Tour Men/Women
Badminton - Yonex All England Open

Many more.

-Ankit
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

What are India's best medal hopes at Tokyo and can we finally hope for a double digit medal count?

Would love to be pointed to some good articles or writeups about India's chances in 2021
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

AkshaySG wrote:What are India's best medal hopes at Tokyo and can we finally hope for a double digit medal count?

Would love to be pointed to some good articles or writeups about India's chances in 2021
It is too early to know. With Chinese virus every one's body clock is kind of reset. They have (the one qualified & in process to be qualified) just started competing it.

So for example Vinesh & Ravi were hopeful in 2020 may not be today or in next month.

Vinesh is competing in XXIV Outstanding Ukrainian Wrestlers and Coaches Memorial, saw her 3-4 bouts , she is slow and in less strength. She is playing in final. Ravi is going to compete in Matteo Pellicone Ranking Series. He will be competing in a higher weight category i.e. still gaining fitness.

Same goes with other athletes. There was Athletics Indian Grand Pix 2 few days back. Many Athletes were slow who might trying to be qualified.

Shooters specially young one are doing good with online shooting ! Delhi World cup will be first test. If they will able to score close to WR or PR than you can say hopeful.

So to summaries none are medal hope according to me right now. By the time of June we should know.

Check out Indian Express sports section articles. Authors: Mihir Vasavda, Shivank Naik (?) etc they write good. Mihir have two in last two days, good read. One on Vinesh another on Men Hockey team and their mental & physical state.

-Ankit
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

AkshaySG wrote:What are India's best medal hopes at Tokyo and can we finally hope for a double digit medal count?

Sorry to say but our qualified Skeet shooters for Olympics have performed very bad 10th or below in ongoing ISSF championship at Cairo, Egypt.

I am not sure what to say but Covid has affected a lot.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

India has never been a particularly major power in large bore gun events . Our strength is air pistol and rifle events. We were the best In the world in the 2019 World Cup season but COVID really hampered the ability to carry that momentum into Olympics.
2019 ISSF World Cup Series
With 21 golds we finished a full ten golds ahead of #2 China and 15 more than #3 USA. Teenagers like Saurabh Chaudhry have 6 World Cup golds and Manu Bhaker has 8, both individually have more than Abhinav Bindra and Gagan Narang have won in their entire careers.. combined. Saurabh is also the Asian Games champ, junior world and Olympic champion. Saurabh and Manu Bhaker combine to form the strongest mixed team in the world - they won gold in all four 2019 World Cups.

The main problem with young shooting stars is that growth spurts affect their aim and balance, requiring additional practice and training to compensate for.
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

About state of Skeet shooting. Foreign skeet coach abandons Indian shooters before Olympics
The shooters have earned 15 quota places, two of them in shotgun (skeet) for the Olympics.Quota places go to countries, not to shooters. India has won skeet quota through Punjab's Angadvir Singh Bajwa and Mairaj Ahmad Khan from Uttar Pradesh.
Bajwa's personal coach is Norway's Tore Brovold while Khan and other top shooters were training with Falco. "Right now, getting another coach isn't possible as everyone is busy. But we will appoint a new coach after the Olympics for next four years," said the NRAI official.
-Ankit
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

India make impressive return to international hockey, beat Germany 6-1
KREFELD (Germany): Young Vivek Sagar Prasad scored a brace as the Indian men's hockey team outclassed Germany 6-1 in its Europe tour opener to make an impressive return to international circuit following coronavirus-forced break.
Vivek (27th, 28th minutes), Nilakanta Sharma (13th), Lalit Kumar Upadhyay (41st), Akashdeep Singh (42nd) and Harmanpreet Singh (47th) were the goal scorers for India.
Hungry to perform, India played with an intent to win.
They went on an attacking mode right from the start, putting pressure on the German line-up. After creating potential opportunities in the striking circle, India earned a penalty corner in the 13th minute of the first quarter, which saw midfielder Nilakanta breaking the deadlock for the visitors.
However, in the next minute, forward Constantin Staib scored an equaliser for Germany.
The second quarter started with the hosts putting pressure on India and earned themselves two back-to-back penalty corners in the initial minutes.
The Indian side made brilliant saves and created quick counter-attacks which led to midfielder Vivek scoring two back-to-back goals in the 27th and 28th minutes.
In the third quarter, the hosts started off on the front foot again and earned as many as six penalty corners.
However, skipper PR Sreejesh stood firm in front of the goal to keep the Germans at bay.
Soon after a solid defensive display, Indian forwards Lalit and Akashdeep netted brilliant goals in the 41st and 42nd minute, respectively to put the world no. 4 Indian teams in the driver's seat.
Another glorious opportunity came for the Indian men at the 47th minute in the form of a penalty corner, and Harmanpreet extended India's lead with a fierce flick. Playing under pressure, the hosts did try hard to make a comeback, and even pulled out their goalkeeper to put an extra attacker in the team but a great overall performance from the Indian side ensured a 6-1 victory.
"It was absolutely thrilling to play after so long and the coach's advice to us was 'go and enjoy the game' and so we did. This was the same German side who are playing the FIH Hockey Pro League matches, and I feel we did well against this squad, considering we were playing after a year.
"We had worked a lot on individual skills and had planned tactical play against Germany back in the camp. We just had to execute it today and it was really exciting to be back with a win," said Sreejesh.
After a day's break, India will again take on Germany on March 2.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Excellent. Great job
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Vinesh Phogat wins gold at the Ukraine invitational event.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

We've been piling on Rohit Sharma but he's been the most consistent batsman in the Indian team lately.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

simon hughes
@theanalyst
I don’t think anyone has had the skill audacity to do that to Jimmy Anderson (in a Test) before #INDvENG #astonishing https://twitter.com/theanalyst/status/1 ... 5507775489

outrage after Rishabh Pant hits English pacer for 4 in reverse sweep
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

IndraD wrote:simon hughes
@theanalyst
I don’t think anyone has had the skill audacity to do that to Jimmy Anderson (in a Test) before #INDvENG #astonishing https://twitter.com/theanalyst/status/1 ... 5507775489

outrage after Rishabh Pant hits English pacer for 4 in reverse sweep
Pretty audacious shot! But overall, I think the reverse sweet is ugly and ungainly. Modern day players have perfected it though.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://twitter.com/MontyPanesar/status ... 78561?s=20

madhusudan singh panesar who threatened govt of India during kisan farzee andolan takes a 180 degree U turn after arriving in India, apparently realised power of cash cow [BCCI (IPL)]