Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Post by Rahul M »

even against belgium sreejesh saved the day, he is an incredible goalie !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuFipDrwKis
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

3 quarters gone still 0-0. India is playing too defensive
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Mandeep scores!! 1-0 now!! 1st penalty corner. I cannot believe that Netherlands that invented Drag Flick do not have a drag flicker anymore!
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

1-1 now!! 5 minutes left
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

I think Indian team has forgot how to pass
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Indian team into finals!
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

nash wrote:I think Indian team has forgot how to pass
It was very weird game! Players looked tired and way too many wrong passes. Defense was very good though! 3 penalty corners in last 2.5 minutes all stopped.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Congrats to the Indian hockey team for repeating the achievement!
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

If they play like this against australia then they will definitely lose, no point of asking why we can not beat them
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

At least silver among the top teams! India can defeat Australia who got defeated by Argentina whom we defeated.
I think the top 5 teams here can beat any other team.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

All 3 matches (5-6), (3-4), (1-2) will be played tomorrow! finals will be last.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Argentina are too heavily dependent on the magical Gonzalo Peillat now, one of the world's best drag flickers. In fact he scored all the goals in their 3-2 win against Australia.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

I disagree. I think the defence is playing well under pressure. Could reduce the mistakes. What is Sardar Singh doing? He seems to have a small role. It is the young forward line which is not functional. The Ned goalie saved a lot of shots. Should have scored a few of them. India should have won this match if the forwards could convert.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Clearly we are able to reliably stand up to and beat all of the top 5 now, except Australia. As recently as 2-3 years ago, a match against Aus/Ned/Ger was 'we'd be lucky to draw, really lucky to win' . Now draw isn't hard to expect and we we can attempt wins. Australia remains the one country we never seem to be able to easy find a measure of in big events. Even Argentina lost to us in the Olympics on their way to gold - their only loss there.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Supratik wrote:I disagree. I think the defence is playing well under pressure. Could reduce the mistakes. What is Sardar Singh doing? He seems to have a small role. It is the young forward line which is not functional. The Ned goalie saved a lot of shots. Should have scored a few of them. India should have won this match if the forwards could convert.
New coach Harendra Singh promised podium finish which he achieved. I think he is trying the mixture of young and old players to ensure Gold in upcoming Asian games in August. Where South Korea, Malaysia and Pakistan are our real opponents.
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

In this whole tournament, we miss a good drag flicker, Harmanpreet is not up to the mark and when we lose Ramandeep our forwards not able to built any move, and on top of it Mandeep lost too many goal scoring opportunity, he literally needs a halwa to convert.These are the reasons why we are not able to score much and need to rely on defence and Srijesh to sail through.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

nash wrote:In this whole tournament, we miss a good drag flicker, Harmanpreet is not up to the mark and when we lose Ramandeep our forwards not able to built any move, and on top of it Mandeep lost too many goal scoring opportunity, he literally needs a halwa to convert.These are the reasons why we are not able to score much and need to rely on defence and Srijesh to sail through.
Agreed!! I was astonished to see a young new full back Jarmanpreet taking a shot at Netherlands goal. Defence normally do not take shots at goal they pass it to the forwards.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Why is Varun Kumar not taking PCs? Over reliance on Harmanpreet. Simranjeet, Mandeep are the weakest link in this team.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Well, both Mandeep and Harmanpreet have 3 goals each. About the same number as the drag flickers in the other teams. Only Peillat is far ahead with 6 goals, half of them in the last match against Aus.

And where is Rupinder Pal Singh ? To be fair, the turf at Breda seemed poor. Watch the Aus-Ned game - they had trouble pushing the ball to the trapper for PCs.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Rupinder Pal is being rested like Sardar and Shreejas were rested earlier for a long time.
Here is the team that played today.

http://www.fih.ch/events/champions-trop ... eamId=4330

Here are the 47 probables for men's team

http://hockeyindia.org/category/team?ty ... -Probables
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Thanks. We have at least two more drag flickers not playing here - Rupinder and Raghunath.

Sreejesh on the other hand, remains one of the best goalies in the world. The first Belgian PC that he stopped needed incredible reflexes. Starts at 0.40 here:
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

Suraj wrote:Clearly we are able to reliably stand up to and beat all of the top 5 now, except Australia. As recently as 2-3 years ago, a match against Aus/Ned/Ger was 'we'd be lucky to draw, really lucky to win' . Now draw isn't hard to expect and we we can attempt wins. Australia remains the one country we never seem to be able to easy find a measure of in big events. Even Argentina lost to us in the Olympics on their way to gold - their only loss there.

It is too early. This is first tournament since Harendra Singh took over. Other teams will figure out his strategy and plan in coming tournaments. Let's see how the team will play in World Cup.

Women's team also started well at CWG and falter at the end.

As far defenders are playing up, that been the trend since Terry Walsh. Even full back like Birendra Lakra seen playing in opposition D. Total hockey is the buzz word.

-Ankit
Last edited by Ankit Desai on 30 Jun 2018 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Defence is solid. Maybe RP Singh will add value. Forward needs the likes of Akashdeep, Ramandeep for some experience. There was nothing wrong in their game. The problem was Oltman strategy. Harinder strategy is very different - total hockey, thick defence and quick counter attacks. Not for those without speed and stamina.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Also special mention of Sreejesh - India's best goal keeper for a long time.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Ankit, since you seem familiar with the game, can you tell us about why we seem to find it so much harder to play Australia than any other top team ? What's it about their playing style that we can't surmount ?

By the way, I'm referring to how we've performed against the top 6 in the last two years, not just in this tournament. We've beaten everyone else in major event, e.g. Bel and Ned in Hockey World League Finals, Arg in Olympics, Britain and Germany elsewhere. Just not Australia.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Check hockey schedule for rest of year! It is good to see all Jr. , Senior and Youth hockey team playing.

Jun 23 - Jul 01 Rabobank Men's Hockey Champions Trophy Breda 2018 Breda (NED) View
Jun 29 - Jul 06 India vs Bangladesh Matches (Men) Bengaluru
Jul 07 - Jul 19 India vs South Korea Matches (Men) Bengaluru
Jul 14 - Jul 22 6 Nations Invitational Tournament (Jr Men) Antwerp, Belgium
Jul 14 - Jul 22 6 Nations Invitational Tournament (Jr Women) Antwerp, Belgium
Jul 17 - Jul 23 India vs New Zealand Matches (Men) Bengaluru
Jul 21 - Aug 05 Hockey Women’s World Cup London 2018 London, England
Aug 18 - Sep 02 18th Asian Games (Men) Jakarta, Indonesia
Aug 18 - Sep 02 18th Asian Games (Women) Jakarta, Indonesia
Oct 06 - Oct 13 8th Sultan of Johor Cup (Jr. Men) Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Oct 06 - Oct 18 3rd Youth Olympic Games Buenos Aires 2018 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Oct 18 - Oct 28 Hero Asian Champions Trophy 2018 (Men) Muscat, Oman
Nov 28 - Dec 16 Odisha Hockey Men’s World Cup Bhubaneswar 2018 Bhubaneswar, India
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

Suraj wrote:By the way, I'm referring to how we've performed against the top 6 in the last two years, not just in this tournament. We've beaten everyone else in major event, e.g. Bel and Ned in Hockey World League Finals, Arg in Olympics, Britain and Germany elsewhere. Just not Australia.
Easy answer first, I was not criticizing your observation but caution all before we go over board with Harendra Singh. Quoted you because I read your comment last among them. Our performance against top four teams are not consistent either. Let's not just focus on major tournaments but check out progress over all. I attribute that to frequent coach changes though. For example after beating Belgium in World series final they defeated us few times in NZ tri series and draw out in on going tournament. Or loosing to Britain at CWG bronze medal match which matter more than regular match and there is no guarantee that we can repeat same performance against Dutch again (I know there is not guarantee of anything in sport but still).

I would also keep Germany out of it. They even stopped Ric Charlesworth's Australia in Olympic. Personally I do not remember when did we defeated Germany last.
Suraj wrote:Ankit, since you seem familiar with the game, can you tell us about why we seem to find it so much harder to play Australia than any other top team ? What's it about their playing style that we can't surmount ?
Well, I am not technical guy when it comes to hockey but it became #1 sport to me and started taking interest in other Olympic sports after 1996 cricket world cup fiasco. So just analysis. As far Australia goes, they adopted what India had & forgot and mixed with Australian aggression.

At the end of Dhanraj Pillay's era and when Ric Charlesworth took over Australian men's hockey around that time India was in bad shape. Dominance of Australian hockey made deep impact on player's psyche which I think they still having it. Check out articles came out during 2004 to 2012. That perception started changing only after Premier Hockey league and Terry Walsh took over. You might have read my all gaga comment on Walsh in past. During his time I think we defeated Australia twice in Australia in test series.

The philosophy with Australian coaches came to India was to score minimum four goals in every match. One goal is to cover your own mistake, second goal is to cover refree's mistake, third goal is to cover oppistion's brilliance and fourth is winning goal. This is just one philosophy and give us glimpse how whole Australian team prepare and play.

Like I said above, only Germany was the one which can stop them when they were at their peak.

Australian had down time too before current coach Colin Batch took over. But they look like settling down.

-Ankit
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

India Australia finals in 1 hour. Bakis lost to Belgium!
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

You can watch it live here! (USA, Canada)

https://live.bleacherreport.com/field-h ... ndia/45285
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

more youngsters today! 4 players that did not played yesterday
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Varun kumar taking shots at penalty corners already 2 missed. Varun kumar is not a drag flicker his flick is way way too slow. only 16% penalty corner conversion rate in this tournament (all teams).
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

first quarter over 0-0
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

Q1 was good , need to maintain the same tempo...
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

australia converts a penalty corner. 2 out of 20 is their conversion rate.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

half time 1-0 Australia
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Dilpreet singh (17 years old) is really good
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

3rd penalty corner missed by india these new injector, stopper (amit rohidas) and flicker (Varun) are bad. Good thing that Harmanpreet is back
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

India got a goal Vivek (also 17 years old from Jr. Team) got the ball in! 1-1
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

We need some quality forward, atleast I am frustrated with Mandeep
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

At least they are passing! I remember Dhanraj pillay use to keep the ball all the way to goal never passing to another player.