Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 11784
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Suraj » 01 Sep 2018 13:27

We already crossed all past records
Amit Panghal beat Olympic Champion Hasanboy Dusmatov of Uzbekistan to win 49kg boxing gold
Mens's pair team won gold in bridge

Total golds = 15 now. One more and we'll do best ever performance. We already have best ever G+S total and equal to best G performance. Updating the previous table:

Code: Select all

Year  G  G+S
1951  15 31
1982  13 32
2002  11 23
2006  10 27
2010  14 31
2014  11 21
2018* 15 38

M_Joshi
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 88
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 00:06

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby M_Joshi » 01 Sep 2018 13:32

15 Golds now. Gold to Bridge's Men Pair team & 49 Kg Men's Lightweight Boxing.

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 11784
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Suraj » 01 Sep 2018 13:38

Here's how we stand in the medal tallys:
1. Count by Gold : 7th behind China, Japan, SoKo, Indonesia, Iran, Taiwan.
2. Count by total: 5th behind China, Japan, SoKo, Indonesia
3. Count by G+S: 5th behind same 4 above
For #3, if you ignore Indonesia's 15 traditional martial arts golds, then we're #4 behind China, Japan and SoKo, ahead of Iran, Indonesia and Taiwan.

Overall, very strong signal of broad improvement. Remaining gold prospects:
* squash women's team
* bridge women's team
* bridge mixed team.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16410
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 21:09
Location: woh log gawad hai, unpad hai !
Contact:

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Rahul M » 01 Sep 2018 13:53

Image
Say Hi to our Gold Medalists duo in Bridge (Men's Pair): 60 yr old Pranab Bardhan & 56 yr old Shibnath Dey Sarkar Well done Sir #AsianGames2018
https://twitter.com/India_AllSports/sta ... 6658984960

excellent !
Finally, all those diehard card players on howrah/sealdah local trains (who play even while standing up in sardine packed trains, using someone's hand as a card table :eek: ) have role models to look up to.
also, age no bar.

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 62927
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Singha » 01 Sep 2018 15:17

long live the sealdah-bandel and kolaghat local :rotfl: finally we weaponise some of our hidden strengths!

suryag
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3112
Joined: 11 Jan 2009 00:14

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby suryag » 01 Sep 2018 15:35

Dhyutha sikamani ki jai

disha
BR Mainsite Crew
Posts: 6447
Joined: 03 Dec 2006 04:17
Location: gaganaviharin

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby disha » 01 Sep 2018 17:27

There is hope for all of us now! Bridge!! Will it be there in future games as well?

rhytha
BRFite
Posts: 212
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 12:31
Location: Chennai
Contact:

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby rhytha » 01 Sep 2018 18:14

India Win Bronze in Men's Hockey After Defeating Pakis in Playoff

2-1

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 11784
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Suraj » 01 Sep 2018 21:02

If we couldn’t win it, I’m pleased that SHQs land Japan won both hockey golds . Better than wannabe TSP Malaysia winning it.

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 62927
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Singha » 01 Sep 2018 21:11

I was :shock: at hockey finals

No offside rule
Rolling penalty strokes like ice hockey
Goalie plus three defenders vs 9 attackers in pcorners

The game is upside down

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 11784
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Suraj » 01 Sep 2018 21:21

Amit Panghal's win is very creditable. Dusmatov beat the Cubans and other CAR competitors on the way to gold at Rio 2016. And then in 2017 he beat Amit in the quarters on the way to losing to the Cuban in the final of the world boxing championship . This was Amit's revenge, but no one expected this win as he had the hardest opponent - an Olympic champ and world silver winner - to beat.

Special mention to coach Santiago Nieva, under whom the boxers have improved dramatically, with several golds at CWG 2018 followed by this gold at the far more competitive AG level. I hope they keep him around until the next logical step - medals at Tokyo 2020 - at least.

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 62927
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Singha » 01 Sep 2018 21:52

the japanese hockey team seems to have a indian coach.

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 11784
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Suraj » 01 Sep 2018 22:40

Final tally
15 golds
24 silver
30 bronze

Indonesia and Uzbekistan finished above us, but in reality, they got major boosts from their traditional sports - pencak silat and kurash. Our overall tally:

Code: Select all

Event Gold Silver Bronze Total
Athletics     7   10  2   19
Shooting      2   4   3   9
Wrestling     2   0   1   3
Bridge        1   0   2   3
Rowing        1   0   2   3
Lawn tennis   1   0   2   3
Boxing        1   0   1   2
Archery       0   2   0   2
Equestrian    0   2   0   2
Squash        0   1   4   5
Sailing       0   1   2   3
Badminton     0   1   1   2
Kabaddi       0   1   1   2
Kurash        0   1   1   2
Field hockey  0   1   1   2
Wushu         0   0   4   4
Table tennis  0   0   2   2
Sepak takraw  0   0   1   1
Total        15  24  30  69

SBajwa
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4842
Joined: 10 Jan 2006 21:35
Location: Attari

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby SBajwa » 02 Sep 2018 00:48

Singha wrote:the japanese hockey team seems to have a indian coach.


Actually it is Siegfried Aikman from netherlands.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siegfried_Aikman

chola
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2624
Joined: 16 Dec 2002 12:31
Location: USA

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby chola » 02 Sep 2018 01:20

Suraj wrote:Final tally
15 golds
24 silver
30 bronze

Indonesia and Uzbekistan finished above us, but in reality, they got major boosts from their traditional sports - pencak silat and kurash. Our overall tally:

Code: Select all

Event Gold Silver Bronze Total
Athletics     7   10  2   19
Shooting      2   4   3   9
Wrestling     2   0   1   3
Bridge        1   0   2   3
Rowing        1   0   2   3
Lawn tennis   1   0   2   3
Boxing        1   0   1   2
Archery       0   2   0   2
Equestrian    0   2   0   2
Squash        0   1   4   5
Sailing       0   1   2   3
Badminton     0   1   1   2
Kabaddi       0   1   1   2
Kurash        0   1   1   2
Field hockey  0   1   1   2
Wushu         0   0   4   4
Table tennis  0   0   2   2
Sepak takraw  0   0   1   1
Total        15  24  30  69


We improved but so did a lot of other countries and not just because of some new local events.

Checking some previous Asiads, China had been losing gold and total medal shares since 2010. They had 199 golds and 416 total medals in 2010 but just 132 and 289 in 2018. Also Korea usually goes 200 total medals per Asiad but only 176 this year.

Many countries are starting to claw large chunks of bling from the traditional dominance of the big three East Asian powers.

Indonesia has 98 total, Kazakhstan 76, Thailand 73, Uzbekistan 70, India 69, Taiwan 67, Iran 62.

So a lot more countries are competitive now. Good news is the top three is vulnerable. Bad news is we have to fight a large pack of pretenders sensing blood for the right to storm the gates.

We need to make a minimum goal of finishing on top of this ravenous pack at fourth and then begin our assault on the top three.

disha
BR Mainsite Crew
Posts: 6447
Joined: 03 Dec 2006 04:17
Location: gaganaviharin

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby disha » 02 Sep 2018 05:16

Glad that we reached 15., potential was 18-20 & minus the african imports 20-22 gold.

That would have put us in fifth/sixth position.

Deans
BRFite
Posts: 750
Joined: 26 Aug 2004 19:13
Location: Moscow

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Deans » 02 Sep 2018 10:19

disha wrote:Glad that we reached 15., potential was 18-20 & minus the african imports 20-22 gold.

That would have put us in fifth/sixth position.


If we consider only Olympic sports and exclude imports, (giving us 6 more gold) we would be 4th.

China is at the same level as they were in 2002 (when there were fewer events). China in 2002 began a massive investment to become the
world's premier sporting nation, in time for the 2008 Olympics. However, they regressed considerably since 2008 OG and 2010 AG, so their model and heavy investments are not working. On a `per capita' basis, Taiwan got more medals, so did other countries with an equivalent per capita income (so did Haryana, with lower income).
A large no of China's medals have come in sports that had no serious competition (Canoeing, Diving /Artistic swimming, Wushu & TT gave them 40 Gold). As other countries catch up - as they have in Badminton & TT, this will fall.
Last edited by Deans on 02 Sep 2018 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 62927
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Singha » 02 Sep 2018 10:27

all that sports money got diverted to building up the PLAN hulls.

Kashi
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2907
Joined: 06 May 2011 13:53

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Kashi » 02 Sep 2018 11:20

What lessons can we learn and imbibe from this very encouraging performance at Asian games?

Karthik S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4134
Joined: 18 Sep 2009 12:12

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Karthik S » 02 Sep 2018 11:25

Singha wrote:all that sports money got diverted to building up the PLAN hulls.


:lol:

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 11784
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Suraj » 02 Sep 2018 11:36

Taiwan spent a lot of money preparing for the 2017 Universiade. It was a big deal for them, and they got a sporting boost out of it.

As for lessons, one common theme here is that success is driven by coaching skills developing. From Swapna Barman to Arpinder Singh to Amit Panghal, all had coaches who spent time to train and improve their raw talent. Swapna's coach lived away from his family for 5-6 months - to train a teenaged girl into India's first Heptathlon champ. Arpinder lost his direction after 2014 CWG bronze, and his earlier foreign coach led him astray. His current coach and him spent 2 years rebuilding his jumping technique all over again, and now he's won gold. Santiago Nieva has completely redone the boxers' training, and suddenly they won 9 medals at CWG including 3 golds and 3 silvers, and the gold here was against the hardest possible opponent - the reigning Olympic champion and worlds finalist. Harendra Singh would get a similar mention but for his wards blowing it on the big stage in the semifinal of the hockey event. Sjoerd Marijne is doing a great job with the women, despite the loss in the final. Even swimmers have improved dramatically. Both at CWG and AG, they broke their national records several times over, and are repeatedly making semis and finals, instead of losing in the heats, if they even managed to qualify. One more cycle and they might be among medal contenders.

If we want to dramatically boost AG gold tally, we need to target medal rich niche sports, especially those with OG ability. Canoeing, Kayaking for example. Might as well steal PRC's easy dumplings out of their plates while we're at it. Our Kurash team are entirely ex Judokas who switched over, did 2 months training in Uzbekistan and voila, silver and bronze in a sport no one's heard of in India before.

Hockey and Kabaddi gives us 4 medals after several days of play and hopefully no mistakes. A dozen canoers, rowers or kayakers can get us many more. Disappointing yes, but that's the nature of team sports - there are just too many moving parts for them to be sureshot golds. The effort:medal ratio is just too high. A judoka or wrestler in comparison can win a gold with 4-5 matches of 6 min each.

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 11784
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Suraj » 02 Sep 2018 11:56

Tokyo 2020 medal prospects:
* Neeraj Chopra: possible. Needs to push his peak throw distance to 90m. The two Germans are repeatedly hitting that, and there's a second string of whom Neeraj is one. However, in OG historically the throwing distances have never been very high, and 86-88m has usually guaranteed a medal. Neeraj's plus is that he has great big match temperament. He's just 20, which is either a plus or minus. Javelin throwers peak from 24-30.
* Vinesh Phogat: beat the main Japanese and Chinese in her weight class here. Eri Tosaka didn't participate in this AG, and will be her main opponent. The 2nd ranked Japanese Yuki Irie, Vinesh beat in the final . She also beat the Rio silver medalist Sun Yanan - the same woman who broke her leg at Rio.
* Mirabai Chanu: She's going to need to lift 200kg or more to win gold , probably. Strong competition from NoKo and Thailand. Gold at Rio 2016 was 200kg, gold at AG2018 was 199kg. She lifted 194kg to win the 2017 world championship, and 196kg at CWG2018.
* Bajrang Punia: getting better and better in his weight class. Unless he's unlucky, he has a good chance of medaling.
Amit Panghal: Needs to take on Cubans and CAR folks more often and gain confidence to make it to medal round in OG. Santiago Nieva is helping fix the main problem of Indian boxers - outdated training.
* Multiple young shooters.

Deans
BRFite
Posts: 750
Joined: 26 Aug 2004 19:13
Location: Moscow

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Deans » 02 Sep 2018 12:17

Suraj wrote:Tokyo 2020 medal prospects:


We also have a chance in Badminton and women's boxing. We need a good draw and one win against a top 10 player (which Saina, Sindhu and some women boxers have done) to get a bronze. Same applies for men's boxing in a couple of other weight categories.
Also Hockey.

chola
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2624
Joined: 16 Dec 2002 12:31
Location: USA

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby chola » 02 Sep 2018 12:53

Suraj wrote:Taiwan spent a lot of money preparing for the 2017 Universiade. It was a big deal for them, and they got a sporting boost out of it.

As for lessons, one common theme here is that success is driven by coaching skills developing. From Swapna Barman to Arpinder Singh to Amit Panghal, all had coaches who spent time to train and improve their raw talent. Swapna's coach lived away from his family for 5-6 months - to train a teenaged girl into India's first Heptathlon champ. Arpinder lost his direction after 2014 CWG bronze, and his earlier foreign coach led him astray. His current coach and him spent 2 years rebuilding his jumping technique all over again, and now he's won gold. Santiago Nieva has completely redone the boxers' training, and suddenly they won 9 medals at CWG including 3 golds and 3 silvers, and the gold here was against the hardest possible opponent - the reigning Olympic champion and worlds finalist. Harendra Singh would get a similar mention but for his wards blowing it on the big stage in the semifinal of the hockey event. Sjoerd Marijne is doing a great job with the women, despite the loss in the final. Even swimmers have improved dramatically. Both at CWG and AG, they broke their national records several times over, and are repeatedly making semis and finals, instead of losing in the heats, if they even managed to qualify. One more cycle and they might be among medal contenders.

If we want to dramatically boost AG gold tally, we need to target medal rich niche sports, especially those with OG ability. Canoeing, Kayaking for example. Might as well steal PRC's easy dumplings out of their plates while we're at it. Our Kurash team are entirely ex Judokas who switched over, did 2 months training in Uzbekistan and voila, silver and bronze in a sport no one's heard of in India before.

Hockey and Kabaddi gives us 4 medals after several days of play and hopefully no mistakes. A dozen canoers, rowers or kayakers can get us many more. Disappointing yes, but that's the nature of team sports - there are just too many moving parts for them to be sureshot golds. The effort:medal ratio is just too high. A judoka or wrestler in comparison can win a gold with 4-5 matches of 6 min each.



I agree with everything you say.

But I do want to say that team sports are prestigious. Ok maybe not kabbadi. But a soccer or basketball gold would resonate throughout Asia.

Of course, cricket would be a big one if the host doesn’t drop it and the BCCI sends a team.

Beedees and Sinhalese won the two times it was played at Asiad. Pakis managed a bronze onlee.

Deans
BRFite
Posts: 750
Joined: 26 Aug 2004 19:13
Location: Moscow

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Deans » 02 Sep 2018 13:05

I believe there are 3 reasons why Govt's might have a role to play in sports.

1. As part of a child's education and development. Here role of govt is to ensure schools have access to a play ground, a sports period, a sports
teacher and receive a basic awareness of sports and physical fitness. (yoga/ Khel India etc are great initiatives at this level). This point is well
articulated by our sports minister, who is not seduced by vanity projects like hosting the Olympics.

2. Where a sport is popular (because people's needs are important in a democracy) provide sports facilities and competition that will draw public interest. e.g. more hockey grounds and tournaments. Here it makes sense to invest in popular sports and get international medals.

3. For ideology - i.e. my nation or ideology is greater than yours because we won more medals (that's the USSR, China, NoKo model) which we
should avoid as there are better things we can do with the money, which will `give the people bread rather than a circus'.

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 11784
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Suraj » 02 Sep 2018 13:29

chola: I care nothing about relative prestige of medals as long as he sport is competive . Gold is gold . Sure, to win hockey gold is a separate aim . But when we talk of a multi sport event, the first goal is to maximize medal count . Even arguably prestige wise, Amit Panghals gold beating the OG champ has more prestige than anything hockey team would have gained beating much lesser ranked teams to gold - which they didn’t anyway .

Winning a lot of medals is satisfying , and it reinforces a positive cycle of accomplishment because others in the contingent at the games village become intensely envious and want theirs .

One heartening thing is that no one moans about ‘exposure’ anymore . They’re well prepared and they win . Some of our winners are much too young for that even. Men’s double trap silver medalist Shardul Vihan is 15; during the previous AG the kid had not even reached puberty . So watch out, some 10-12 year old you see could be AG gold winner in 2022.

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 11784
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Suraj » 02 Sep 2018 13:42

Deans wrote:
Suraj wrote:Tokyo 2020 medal prospects:


We also have a chance in Badminton and women's boxing. We need a good draw and one win against a top 10 player (which Saina, Sindhu and some women boxers have done) to get a bronze. Same applies for men's boxing in a couple of other weight categories.
Also Hockey.

I’m not convinced our women’s boxers are good enough for Tokyo. They may get lucky, but they’re not a prospect if they drew a blank here .

Sindhu yes she can once again valiantly make the final... and lose. I have given up hope that she will ever win anything major (eg OG, WC or All England).

Supratik
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5419
Joined: 09 Nov 2005 10:21
Location: USA

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Supratik » 02 Sep 2018 15:24

I will put Hima Das in that list too. She has reduced 5 sec in 12 months from 55+ to 50+. If properly trained for the next couple of years she can go 49+ where she becomes medal prospect.

SBajwa
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4842
Joined: 10 Jan 2006 21:35
Location: Attari

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby SBajwa » 02 Sep 2018 22:23

Next hockey series is a 6 nation tournament Sultan of Johor Jr. world cup October 2nd through October 13th
Australia, England, India, New Zealand, Malaysia, Japan.

Here are core probables of the Jr. Team. In my opinion Jr. Team has improved by leaps and bounds!

http://hockeyindia.org/category/team?ty ... -Probables

nash
BRFite
Posts: 773
Joined: 08 Aug 2008 16:48

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby nash » 04 Sep 2018 16:37

https://twitter.com/Ra_THORe/status/1036901431377154048

Our future champions! With young boxers fresh from Boxing World Youth Championship in Hungary. We had a splendid haul: 2 GOLD, 2 SILVER & 4 BRONZE for girls, and 2 BRONZE for boys. Well done, young stars!


Above one and ongoing shooting championship are good indicator that future is looking

M_Joshi
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 88
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 00:06

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby M_Joshi » 05 Sep 2018 22:40

. Asian Games medallist Divya Kakran slams Delhi government for lack of support

https://www.google.fr/amp/s/www.indiato ... 2018-09-05

. At a felicitation ceremony in New Delhi on Tuesday, Divya told Kejriwal that she could have won gold at the Games with proper support from the government.

"You've gathered us today to congratulate us but there's no support provided when we need it most. If we're given that support at the right time then we can even win gold," Divya said.

"I'd won a medal at the Commonwealth Games (in Gold Coast, Australia, earlier this year) and you had told me that I will receive more help going forward. I gave all the help I needed in writing but even my phone calls were not answered," Divya added.



chola
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2624
Joined: 16 Dec 2002 12:31
Location: USA

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby chola » 05 Sep 2018 22:48

M_Joshi wrote:. Asian Games medallist Divya Kakran slams Delhi government for lack of support

https://www.google.fr/amp/s/www.indiato ... 2018-09-05

. At a felicitation ceremony in New Delhi on Tuesday, Divya told Kejriwal that she could have won gold at the Games with proper support from the government.

"You've gathered us today to congratulate us but there's no support provided when we need it most. If we're given that support at the right time then we can even win gold," Divya said.

"I'd won a medal at the Commonwealth Games (in Gold Coast, Australia, earlier this year) and you had told me that I will receive more help going forward. I gave all the help I needed in writing but even my phone calls were not answered," Divya added.




Damn babus. Taking credit by association when our athletes win a medal but doing nothing to actually help them win.

I’m glad Divya came out and said this!

Rahul M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16410
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 21:09
Location: woh log gawad hai, unpad hai !
Contact:

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Rahul M » 06 Sep 2018 22:22

this is an excellent gesture.
https://twitter.com/Ra_THORe/status/1037627203280941056
Govindan Lakshmanan gave a medal-winning performance in Men's 10,000 m in #AsianGames2018, but a minor technicality led to his disqualification. Regardless, he is our champ & we stand by our champions. A moment of pride for me to have met and felicitated him today. #KheloIndia

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 11784
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Suraj » 06 Sep 2018 22:44

Rahul M wrote:this is an excellent gesture.
https://twitter.com/Ra_THORe/status/1037627203280941056
Govindan Lakshmanan gave a medal-winning performance in Men's 10,000 m in #AsianGames2018, but a minor technicality led to his disqualification. Regardless, he is our champ & we stand by our champions. A moment of pride for me to have met and felicitated him today. #KheloIndia

It's good to have someone like Rathore in charge here. He actually gets what it takes, and what they face, having been one of them a decade ago.

SBajwa
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4842
Joined: 10 Jan 2006 21:35
Location: Attari

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby SBajwa » 07 Sep 2018 19:11

Suraj wrote:
Rahul M wrote:this is an excellent gesture.
https://twitter.com/Ra_THORe/status/1037627203280941056
Govindan Lakshmanan gave a medal-winning performance in Men's 10,000 m in #AsianGames2018, but a minor technicality led to his disqualification. Regardless, he is our champ & we stand by our champions. A moment of pride for me to have met and felicitated him today. #KheloIndia

It's good to have someone like Rathore in charge here. He actually gets what it takes, and what they face, having been one of them a decade ago.


He is the best sports minister ever!! If he is in charge for 5+ more years we will be running neck to neck with China!!

SBajwa
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4842
Joined: 10 Jan 2006 21:35
Location: Attari

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby SBajwa » 07 Sep 2018 19:53

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/wor ... 180907.htm

There was no stopping the golden run of India's junior shooters with Hriday Hazarika claiming the 10m air rifle top honours before the women's team combined for a new world record and gold at the ISSF World Championships, in Changwon, South Korea, on Friday.

Elavenil Valarivan also won the individual silver in women's 10m air rifle, going down narrowly to China's double senior World Cup gold-medallist Shi Mengyao, in the final.


Elavenil shot 249.8 to Shi's 250.5. The 17-year old Shreya Agrawal won the bronze with an effort of 228.4 in the final. This is the tournament's 52nd edition.

Four podium finishes on the sixth day of competition took India's tally to 18, their best-ever showing in the International Shooting Sport Federation's (ISSF) premier tournament. The country's previous best was the six medals won during the 49th edition in Zagreb, Croatia.

Hazarika, the lone Indian to qualify for the men's final with a score of 627.3, was tied with Iran's Mohammed Amir Nekounam on 250.1 once the field was pruned to the regulation top eight.

But the 17-year-old Indian clinched the yellow metal after prevailing in a shoot-off at the prestigious tournament.

The bronze went to Russia's Grigorii Shamakov, who managed a score of 228.6 in the final.

As the individual shots began, Hazarika strung together a fantastic series of high 10s and by the end of the 20th shot, he was leading the field by 0.5.

He held on to the lead till the 22nd shot from Nekounam. Then a 9.4 for his 23rd shot meant that at the end of the allotted 24 shots, both Hazarika and Nekounam found themselves tied at 250.1 points each.

In the shoot-off, Hazarika had the last laugh with a 10.3 to the Iranian's 10.2.

In the women's 10m air rifle, the team of Elavenil (631), Shreya Agarwal (628.5) and Manini Kaushik (621.2) then produced a sensational performance to total 1880.7 for a gold with a world record to boot.

The score by Elavenil, a junior world cup gold-medallist, was also a new junior world record.

The men's team, comprising Hazarika, Divyansh Panwar and Arjun Babuta, finished fourth with a combined total of 1872.3.

There was disappointment for the country in the senior men's 50m rifle three position competition as none of the Indians in fray managed to make the cut for the finals.

Asian Games silver-medallist Sanjeev Rajput was the lowest placed Indian at 58th with a score of 1158.

Swapnil Kusale was 55th with a score of 1161 while Akhil Sheoran took the 44th position with 1167.

The Indian team, comprising the trio, ended 11th with a total of 3503.

In women's 25m pistol, teenager Manu Bhaker was the best-placed Indian after the first precision stage of qualification, shooting an impressive 294 out of 300 to be among the joint top four scores.

Asian Games champion Rahi Sarnobat was lying 27th with 289 while Asiad bronze medallist Heena Sidhu shot 284 to be in 61st position.

jpremnath
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 94
Joined: 18 Dec 2016 21:06

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby jpremnath » 07 Sep 2018 21:21

SBajwa wrote:
Suraj wrote:It's good to have someone like Rathore in charge here. He actually gets what it takes, and what they face, having been one of them a decade ago.


He is the best sports minister ever!! If he is in charge for 5+ more years we will be running neck to neck with China!!


In our system, minister has very little role and is practicality helpless to rein in the inefficient and idiotic sports association babus...
It needs to be a concentrated effort right from the school system. One reason Kerala punches way above it's weight in sports is because of its annual inter district school sports meet..It's taken pretty seriously by all govt schools and athletes train very hard. They are supported by an able coaching staff in the schools. The golden kids from these meet then goes and wins at the national level. But they have very little support once they get out of schools...

SBajwa
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4842
Joined: 10 Jan 2006 21:35
Location: Attari

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby SBajwa » 07 Sep 2018 21:25

jpremnath wrote:
SBajwa wrote:
He is the best sports minister ever!! If he is in charge for 5+ more years we will be running neck to neck with China!!


In our system, minister has very little role and is practicality helpless to rein in the inefficient and idiotic sports association babus...
It needs to be a concentrated effort right from the school system. One reason Kerala punches way above it's weight in sports is because of its annual inter district school sports meet..It's taken pretty seriously by all govt schools and athletes train very hard. They are supported by an able coaching staff in the schools. The golden kids from these meet then goes and wins at the national level. But they have very little support once they get out of schools...


Yep!! In Punjab/Haryana lots of religious organization are helping sports. Sant Balbir Singh seechewal even created an astroturf stadium in Seechewal village.

http://www.nirmalkuteya.com/portal/sports

Image

Image

Supratik
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5419
Joined: 09 Nov 2005 10:21
Location: USA

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Supratik » 09 Sep 2018 20:18

31 of asiad medal winners were age 21 or below.

https://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sp ... 904220.ece

Supratik
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5419
Joined: 09 Nov 2005 10:21
Location: USA

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Postby Supratik » 09 Sep 2018 20:29

Arpinder Singh wins bronze in triple jump in IAAF continental cup, first Indian. PU Chitra finshed 4th in 1500m, Jinson Johnson 7th in 1500m, Mhd. Anas fifth in 400m.


Return to “Technology & Economic Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Karan M and 5 guests