States News and Discussions

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Vadivel
BRFite

Re: States News and Discussions

Post by Vadivel »

T.N. all set for a big leap forward

State signs MoUs with companies across sectors

Tamil Nadu plans to take a big leap forward in industrial growth with Wednesday’s Global Investors Meet (GIM) by firming up investments worth over Rs. 1 lakh crore.

Across 12 sectors, companies and even countries have committed the investment, with the State government promising faster clearances of proposals and improving infrastructure, especially in the power sector. Of the investments promised, 40 per cent will come from the manufacturing sector and another 40 per cent from the energy sector, sources say. About 10 per cent investment will be by IT and ITES companies.

On Tuesday, the government signed MoUs with most of the companies at the TIDCO office. The MoUs will be showcased at the event.

“Our government is committed to making Tamil Nadu, a new growth model, among Indian States,” Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said in her invitation to the participants. The meet is seen as an opportunity for Ms. Jayalalithaa to prove a political point to her opponents ahead of the Assembly elections next year.

‘A great opportunity’

“This is a fantastic opportunity for Tamil Nadu. The event will help showcase the positive investment climate in the State, considering all States are competing for investments,” said Rajshree Pathy, chairperson, CII Southern Region.

“The State should, in fact, make this an annual event to bring in more investments. It will also help create millions of jobs. We require more investment in infrastructure, and also Coimbatore needs an international airport,” she said.

Preetha Reddy, executive vice-chairperson, Apollo Hospitals, said Tamil Nadu is one of the best places for investors, especially with work culture and integrity.

Tamil Nadu is already home to some of the biggest companies in the world, especially in the automobile sector. The State is home to over 50 Fortune 500 companies and has received $17 billion in Foreign Direct Investment in the last 15 years, according to official data.

The two-day event could also help Tamil Nadu overcome the setback of the closure of the Nokia plant that sent ripples across the industry. The government has set a target of 14 per cent growth a year under its Vision 2023 plan, with a target of attracting Rs. 15 lakh crore of investment in all the sectors by 2023.

The official also said that the Chief Minister leader Jayalalithaa had a final discussion about the MoUs to be signed with Industries Minister P Thangamani and State Industries Secretary C. V. Sankar. The State, on the other hand, is optimistic about the Rs. 1 lakh crore investment commitment that they had announced. Industrialists in the State expect that GIM would be a game changer.

Mr. Venu Srinivasan, Chairman and Managing Director of TVS Motor Company, said, “Every state is competing for investments and this is an opportunity for Tamil Nadu to showcase its strengths. We see small investments coming into the state at regular intervals. But it is good that big projects are coming at the same time during GIM.”

Mr S. N. Eisenhower, Chairman, CII Tamil Nadu, feels that GIM has come at the right time. “With the power situation turning good and schemes like Single Window Clearance the State has great potential to grow. This GIM will change the whole industrial ecosystem,” he added.

With just a day left for the Global Investors Meet, investors and industrialists have started arriving in large numbers. More than 400 international delegates have already reached Chennai.

Ms Nicola Bolton, Managing Director (Global Trade Operations), UK Trade & Investment, London, said, “The UK is delighted to be partner country for the first ever GIM. The UK remains by far the largest G20 investor in India.”

Global Inventors Meet (GIM) 2015 aims to attract more than Rs 1 lakh crore (USD16 billion) into Tamil Nadu. The government earmarked Rs 100 crore for this event.
Around 100 MoU’s are expected to be signed during the two day event.
More than 1, 50,000 jobs will be generated over the next three years.
What the state is offering for investors – Single Window Clearance, Capital subsidy (upto USD375,000) and electricity tax exemption upto 5 years, Stamp duty concession–50% on lease or sale of land. 100% for ultra-mega projects, Environmental protection infrastructure subsidy–Upto USD 50,000.
Industries set up in the southern districts (Madurai, Theni, Dindigul,Sivagangai, Ramanathapuram, Virudhunagar, Tirunelveli, Thoothukudi and Kanyakumari) will be eligible for a special package, higher than the package available for the rest of the State.
The focus sectors of this event are Aerospace; Agro & Food Processing; Automobile and Auto Components; Electronic Hardware; Heavy Engineering, Infrastructure; IT & ITES; Renewable Energy; Skill Development; Textiles and Apparels; Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology; Chemicals, Petrochemicals and Minerals.
More than 5,000 people including chambers of commerce, IAS officers, district officers and the police are involved in the preparations of GIM.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/a ... 628535.ece
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Sachin wrote:With all of them being literate, my hope was that they would know times are changing and focus on re-inventing themselves by getting trained to use mechanical devices etc. Being literate the avenues for them to modernise is also easily available. They know what things are being used today. Instead of that they have used their literacy skills to perhaps read up the law books, and work on bringing more silly rules & procedures to protect their turf. An illiterate head-load worker may not have this skills (to demand and frame laws), but he has other tantrum making skills. So finally what happened, literacy helped people in understanding the laws, and their rights - which is good. But was the same skills used to come up with long term vision, I don't think so :). Even before 100% literacy the state had labour problems & industrial disputes - the same continues. Even before 100% literacy certificate was given, Keralites left the state to other parts of India and the world seeking better jobs etc - the same continues today as well.
This is a very complicated area that we are straying into. This is topic of a lot of angst amongst the economists who ponder it. Why do some states/areas industrialize and advance skills and succeed while others that look so similar halt in their tracks. Many libraries worth of data has been analyzed and published endlessly. Why is Germany so wealthy while Greece seems economically paralyzed. Why can’t the Greeks be more like the Germans. In our context we could ask, why can’t Keralites be more like Tamilians.

I think what you are seeing here is a symptom not the core issues. When you look at something small like, ‘why are headload workers unionized and difficult to work with’, if you want some clarity you have to look at the full picture unfortunately, it is not an isolated issue.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

hnair wrote: To me, 100% Literacy means that the old lady who sits with a meagre few pineapples by the roadside near my place can read a newspaper, while she waits for people like me to squat near her and haggle about the price of her local produce. I haggle with her because she hates charity, as much as her earlier illiterate situation. She told me that she learned to read only in her 70s. I purloin some assorted women's magazines from my mother's desk and drop it off with her, because it is such a joy to watch her read very slowly and methodically. So when you use the "100% literacy" as an ephithet, I can only think of that dear old lady, doing an honest day's job and living a full life thanks to literacy. You are not discriminating, when you comment like that. That is my main grouse.

Literacy is a great tool to plug into a wider world, but does not automatically increase any ones' intelligence or analytical skills
I think those of us who were fortunate enough to be born in situations where learning to read/write and getting educated was a given due to family prosperity and supportive parents, don't appreciate the gift that literacy provides. Ask an illiterate person and you will realize that to them, being unable to read/write is akin to being blind. The guy who cooks in our house has been illiterate all his life but now in his late 50s after he and wife adopted an abandoned kid (both his own sons were murdered by a psycho....it made big headlines back in the day but that's another story), he has decided he will learn how to read and write alongside his son.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Theo, you are absolutely right. People are mistaking what they see and correlating with something that they think is the prime issue.

If you look at the whole of India, you will see rapid industrialization is limited to a few centers only. Rest of the states do not have this "union nuisance" as seen by some in KL case as the core issue. So why are they faltering too ? Beyond, Chennai, Blur, Hydbad, Mumbai and NCR region nothing much is happening elsewhere too. Kolkata has remnants of past industrialization holding it together. So what gives elsewhere ? That is where geography and history played its part and benefited these centers we all know are big hubs for jobs and industry.
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

quote] think those of us who were fortunate enough to be born in situations where learning to read/write and getting educated was a given due to family prosperity and supportive parents, don't appreciate the gift that literacy provid[/quote]

The unfortunate part is, literacy has not brought civility for the folks in Kerala. With so much of literacy, the state should have prospered long back. There is no industrial culture there thanks to militant trade unionism of the seventies and eighties..it is definitely less now, but a lot needs to improve. I am sorry to say, the political leadership particularly the communists are a bunch of megalomaniacs. They will not bat an eyelid before forcing closure of an establishment on flimsy reasons. They have killed the work culture. After Sunday, Monday is unofficial holiday..in between a hartal or powercut would barge in. When I argued with the KSEB AE about planning his maintenance work, he was surprised and asked...what plan...who am I to question?

Look across at Coimbatore..there also militant trade unionism is there...but they are an enterprising lot and have a sense of respect for their vocation. This is sorely lacking in Kerala and is the main reason..I know in the nineties some of the area managers, divisional managers of pharmaceutical companies used to get bashed up by medical reps in kerala..only place where medical reps had a union. Literacy had nothing to do with it. In fact people got bashed up for questioning the work ethics.

One of my staff from Chennai aptly described a malayali worker...he said "Sir, these people pretend to know everything..even if they dont know, their ego wouldnt permit to accept it"

Malayalis are able people, and will work hard only when situation demands..they learn quickly and does things most efficiently. They are very popular in the communication dept of Navy particularly for deciphering coded messages at lightning speed. They are very popular in Gelf too..but within the boundaries of their own state, no way..We are the Only people who can make hartal a state wide celebration, cutting across cast creed or religion or even partyline..Literacy has no role to play...it is just an attitude.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

There are several central govt institutions operating in KL using local labor at various levels...non-skilled to highly skilled. Being a central govt entity it will not be 100% locals who work in such places, but it would be fair to assume that at least 50% are malayalis. One such entity always in the news with good PR even in this forum and well known is ISRO. ISRO engineers and workers are known to go to work even during hartal days and even govt holidays.

How does one then explain this anomaly with the general opinions being bandied about in this thread. Hope someone with more insider view will volunteer to explain.

A more recent example and a new one still in the making is the Kochi metro. It seems to be going smooth so far, despite nominal labour troubles from unions. How did they address this issue, without being derailed.

Can attitude and ego alone explain the anomaly...assuming both exist among malayalis.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Lot of stereotyping going on here.... ahh we understand. ..
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

er...fellas, before we start getting into flame wars triggered by indulging in regional stereotyping, lets change the direction of the discussion. Otherwise drone-acharyas will rain mucho fire as there is a policy of zero tolerance for that.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Even in B'lore Kerala :D, there is much cribbing by local cab guys including some folks with Meru and KSRTC that Ola and Uber cab guys are eating their "rightful" share of the market. Protectionism in the name of local bhumiputra stuff is everyplace looks like. About Kerala, Kerala :D, my best friends dad who wanted to set up an industrial unit in the place (being a malloo himself) ran off and went back to N'India and then Gelf for his co's operations. Managing the mix of bureaucracy and rules and labor requires ample greasing or local contacts and few can manage that. This is the same throughout India and if NaMo can change that, it will be unprecedented.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Historic day for us Andharites.... our 2 greatest rivers are now interlinked. :)

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... na-rivers/
"It is a historic moment. Godavari and Krishna rivers are interlinked now,’’ AP Irrigation Minister Devineni Umamaheshwara Rao said.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Bade wrote:That is where geography and history played its part and benefited these centers we all know are big hubs for jobs and industry.
Can you explain this a bit more in detail? I can understand that some of the big cities (like Mumbai and Chennai), evolved into "job giving" centres had big industries and people from other areas had to migrate there to seek better prospectus. Being under the direct British rule may also have helped these cities grow.
Rest of the states do not have this "union nuisance" as seen by some in KL case as the core issue.
Perhaps that is because these areas may not have the right skilled people readily available? Here again I feel "literacy" may play a crucial role, as it is tough to start a new industrial hub if the majority of the local population (available workforce) is illiterate. The next option is to see if literate folks from other parts of the country are willing to migrate to this place.
One such entity always in the news with good PR even in this forum and well known is ISRO. ISRO engineers and workers are known to go to work even during hartal days and even govt holidays
One thing is that organisations like ISRO have a very different set of labour laws. I shall try to get some more details on this. But some where in the late 1970s there was a big strike in organisations like ISRO etc. The government then declared dias-non, reduction of pay etc. The workers finally succumbed to the pressure. What happened after that is the whole labour rules were changed. ISRO etc. cannot have any politically affiliated unions (like CITU, INTUC). Their workers can form associations/unions and it has to be led by workers in ISRO. Professional politicians/trade union leaders cannot hold any positions in these unions. I have seen similar type unions in BHEL as well. These unions may have political leanings, but it cannot be overt and they cannot even use the common union symbols (hammer & sickle for example). I had a relative who had recently joined ISRO when this strike happened. It seems some of the workers who struck work, suffered all through their career. When the over-all service tenure was calculated (for pay revisions etc.), the time they did not work was deducted.

The Indian Railways too have unions etc., but they are also quite responsible when it comes to running their operations 24/7. But again Keralite union leaders have tried their gimmicks. Three months back, there was a lighting strike at ERS, when an engine driver (also a union leader) was found to have consumed alcohol before joining for duty. He (and his union buddies) tried to show the alcometer check as step against the worker's right. The DRM (a young chap), stood firm, took out the rule book and clearly told the union leader engine driver (and his other buddies) that there are provisions to summarily chuck them out etc.

So perhaps every organisation (like ISRO, IR etc.) have a work culture which generally is admired and adhered to by the work force (irrespective of whether they are Malayalis or not). And may be the in-state organisations (like KSRTC for example), have poor work culture which the workers also strictly adhere to :).
geeth wrote:The unfortunate part is, literacy has not brought civility for the folks in Kerala.
I feel you understood what I was trying to say, and also when taking pot-shots at the 100% literacy claims :). What I wish to say is that being a 100% literate society, Kerala could have gone much further than what it is now. But I don't know as a state, Kerala and her people (including me;)) have fully used its potential.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

Bade, the kochi metro is the flagship and I heard it is being supervised from higher up. A relative of mine is supplying bulk cement for the metro and he said they still pay nooku kohli. Because it's in bulk they pay based on the number of the tonnes pumped out,and once greased they just go away, no disruptions per se.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Hari Seldon wrote:Historic day for us Andharites.... our 2 greatest rivers are now interlinked. :)

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... na-rivers/
"It is a historic moment. Godavari and Krishna rivers are interlinked now,’’ AP Irrigation Minister Devineni Umamaheshwara Rao said.
Excellent news. Congrats all around.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Javee wrote:Bade, the kochi metro is the flagship and I heard it is being supervised from higher up. A relative of mine is supplying bulk cement for the metro and he said they still pay nooku kohli. Because it's in bulk they pay based on the number of the tonnes pumped out,and once greased they just go away, no disruptions per se.
That is what I thought too, and greasing is an accepted practice everywhere in desh. It is just that people get all worked up when greasing the union folks vs the politicos, like one does in "successful" states. I am pretty sure the politicos take the cake and these grease monkeys get only peanuts for waving the flag...hence I do not understand the grief. :-)
member_27845
BRFite

Post by member_27845 »

KL work attitude is legendary

I was based in Cochin for a period of time and thoroughly enjoyed the place , except for this one little thing viz work culture
I will just give 2 examples :

There was this promising young sales rep and as a way of motivating him , I told him that if he continued the good work I can promote him to a managerial position. The dude reflected on this for a couple of minutes and then said - why bother , if you promote me I cannot goof of like I can do now , secondly as a sales rep there is little pressure but it will be much more as a manager , thirdly I cant get overtime wages once I become a manager and lastly I know the rest of the sales reps , managing them is a pain in the a$$ and it is better some one else does it .

Once I was with my family in TVM and ordered a coffee. The waiter brought it after a long wait and worse , it was not hot. When I told him that the coffee was cold , the guy ( you must hear it in Malayalam ) said - saare , you asked for coffee , not hot coffee

I think the basic problem was that KL people are extremely calculative in their dealings and are very short term oriented - they are generally unable to appreciate that most benefits accrue over a longer period of time , and expect results and benefits very quickly

Cool off for a month, before bloviating on an entire state's people as "calculative" - Admin
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Today I saw a Twitter pic & news item (ShekharGupta Tweeted about it, so it is media checked) on the dog meat exports from KL to China/Korean markets. Connecting the dots, recent push by KL govt to eradicate street dogs might have this export syndicate behind burka.

KL 100% literacy only helped its intellectual colonization and export of its daughters (remember Iraq/Yemen episode) and beef and now dogs.

Perhaps rest of Bharat is well to do without this KL model of 100% literacy. Disgusting!

User RamaY has been banned permanently, for his lack of sphincter control - Admin
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

The mystery of Kerala has resulted in academic papers, too, for example:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 0X05000136
Summary

The Indian State of Kerala presents a paradox of development, with its remarkable social achievements and relative industrial backwardness. This paper describes Kerala’s industrial backwardness as due to a path-dependent process of industrialization. A policy decision in the 1930s—marked by a priority for investments in chemical-based industries and the identification of hydroelectricity as a potential basis for industrialization—continue to have implications for industrial growth in Kerala today. With the policy decision in the 1930s, industrial structure in Kerala came to be locked into a pattern that offered very little potential for interindustry interlinkages and industrial growth.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Here is another one:
http://mospi.nic.in/Mospi_New/upload/JI ... _sep14.pdf (PDF file)
Abstract: Kerala is one of the least industrialized states, although it has all the potential of being one. Historically speaking the state has attracted very little industrial investments especially in manufacturing. The paper presents trends in industrial investments in Kerala and attempts to provide an explanation of low investments in terms of four constraints: land, labour, environmental consciousness of the civil society and attitude of the bureaucracy. Given the constraints, the paper also delves into the type of service sector industries that the state may encourage.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Here is an excerpt from another paper (from 2005)
http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in:8080/ ... er%206.pdf
The industrial stagnation in Kerala can be attributed to many reasons, but the fact remains that Kerala failed in attracting investment. Kerala failed to recognize entrepreneurs as wealth creators and income generators; instead, they were looked down upon as exploiters. This attitude cost the State dear. Even though Travancore was one of the most industrialized princely states of the country at the time of independence, after the formation of Kerala State in 1956, the tempo of industrialization could not be sustained; and Kerala came to be perceived as a poor investment destination. Though Kerala did not succeed in exploiting opportunities, Keralites did. Keralites spread forth all over the world, looking for greener pastures and flourished in them. Annual remittances to Kerala currently stands at a whopping Rs. 18000 crores a year. But, it has to be appreciated that keralites could exploit opportunities thrown up by the world because they could build upon the strengths provided to them by investment in education and health.
So for BRFers to think they have cracked the mystery of economic stagnation in spite of social progress of Kerala, well, if they have, it merits a Nobel Prize :)
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

I am not going to come back to this thread to post (for a little while) but for this.

Whether Kerala succeeded are not is not the real issue. It is whether 100% literacy is a good thing or not.

I am certain repeat certain that it is a precondition for success. It need not necessarily be 100% English literacy but 100% high school education (or at least close to getting an HS diploma) is a great asset which cannot be underestimated for entering and staying in the job market. It is true irrespective of the kind of jobs - rural or urban, agri or industrial, developed or developing states in today's India and going forward.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

^^^ Agreed. Both within a particular country, and across countries, poverty and illiteracy are correlated; and there is also demonstration of the causal link as well in the academic literature.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Yeah I think nobody can question the 100% literacy thing (sachin's gentle jibes at that alone not being sufficient being true too). Without literacy, everything else will fall apart including trying for skill development for mfg or services.
Vadivel
BRFite

Post by Vadivel »

This whole 100% literacy thing is just a platform(something like basic OS, sorry for the software pun), but without any reasonable policies and labour reforms(specific softwares of actionable productivity), its just a paper tiger.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

The second link provided by A_Gupta (30 page document by Ramesh Mani from CDS, tvm) captures some of the deficiencies of the state well. The only place it differs largely with what I had said from anecdotal evidence, is regarding wage disparity with neighboring states. The data is also more recent, so more relevant than from my experience.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

http://www.doingbusiness.org/Rankings/india/ as posted in the economy thread.
Not a whole lot of difference in measures for the last three cities in the list. So still cannot explain the disparity based on ease of doing business alone. So it is the built up momentum from the past, that Chennai has over Kochi that can explain the current times as they stand.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Without Chennai, TN would look very different economically. IIRC 60% of TN manufacturing is clustered around or depends on Chennai. Lots of skilled people live there and the companies follow....
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Yes, this is true for other happening places too as I said before and is also alluded too in the link Guptaji provided. There are only a few centers where the focus of rapid growth is and it is same with most countries. TN is lucky to have Chennai (Madras) where it all began over the last century. Similarly Kolkata (Calcutta) and it will continue to regain its place with the right kind of environment again. Nothing happens overnight. Abad/Baroda was also in the making for a long time. My dad's career began there and so was his brother's.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Ultimately it is the people that matter. Bengluru was nothing 50 years back. Then a flood of skilled people decided to move there and the place quickly developed. Historical advantage only counts for so much. Jamshedpur didn't go anywhere, neither did historically industrial cities like Kucknow/Kanpur, etc..
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

It would be nice list the extent of the city in km^2, population and density, schools (pubic, private), ITIs, polytechnics, higher education institutes, and average commute times. Also corruption index :twisted:

I am also gratified with Hyderabad's overall ranking but red tape in paying taxes, business across the borders are two disappointing areas to be fixed if they want to overtake Ludhiana :wink:
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

VT, registering property and construction permit ranking is a proxy for corruption index. :-) Both should be inversely related too !
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

AP has a whopping wage advantage perhaps...

Code: Select all

Table 1 Percentage of Contract Labor in Manufacturing across Indian States
state
1985          1990          1995          2002
Kerala
1.6             1.8             1.5            2.33
Assam
8.2             6.4             7.9            3.95
Tamil Nadu
6.9             5.2             4.4            7.21
West Bengal
4.6             5.1             5.3            7.63
Delhi
7.5             7.4             4.8            7.64
Karnataka
11.5           10.4            8.1            9.33
Punjab
19.1            8.8            10.8          14.32
Maharashtra
5.7             6.4            12.8          16.34
Bihar
9.8               8               7.8           22.08
Rajasthan
8.8            13.2           14.1          22.25
Madhya Pradesh            
13.6           23.1           21.5          23.94
Uttar Pradesh
14.2           12.6           13.5          25.92
Haryana
19              9.9            14.8          28.07
Gujarat
14.5           19.9           23.5          31.27
Jammu & Kashmir 
25.4              8              16.1          31.55
Orissa
30              26             28.7          40.14
Andhra Pradesh                
33.8           39.9           49.2          62.08
--------------------------------------------------
TOTAL
12.1           13.5           16.8          23.22
http://ftp.iza.org/dp3394.pdf Refer to Page 40.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Bade: You mean contract labor is cheaper? or AP has busted the unions? I think it is the latter - TDP is no friend of labor unions what with their head honcho rubbing shoulders with Rajat Gupta, Kelloggs, McKinsey, Singapore investment bankers etc.

Benagaluru is no. 1 in "ease" of property registration :wink: Hyderabad is not all that behind, though I would have thought (my personal observation of how RE greedy Hyd people are) my fair city would have been at the top. Interestingly Pune and Surat (two big cities) are not on the list given that the one is the motown of india and the other textiles, petroleum, and gems. May be Surat would not count since what they have mostly services and the list about manufacturing. But I can't see the reason for excluding Pune. It would have to be one of the worst places for property registration, traffic, and pollution.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 15 Sep 2015 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

The entire property registration process is a disaster in India. I mean there is isn't even a survey or a legal description on your patta. No geographical marker, no brass boundary marker, zilch. One must run to the taluk office, harry some overworked officer to dig up you chittu, which he can not give to you! :roll: , send the survey information and then the taluk surveyor will appoint time 6 months in future to come and survey and register you own that chunk of land. Mean time it is the responsibility of the buyer to clear encumbrances, deal with risk of ownership challenges, arrear taxes, pending court cases, right of way for neighbors, etc etc bloody etc. I mean no other country in the world puts these responsibilities on the parties that are trying to get the work done namely the buyer.

This is the main problem in India if you ask me. The burden of stitching the cloth is placed squarely on the business or person trying to get stuff done. People get waylaid constantly and ambushed at every turn. Hence folks resort to bribe and trip to mental hospital or in a pinch kilpauk... :) I wish society would try at some point to make it easier for the active folks to get stuff done, quickly, effectively....

How can folks go around saying one state is easier than the next. Do they ask the cobbler on the street. AFAIK all Indian states are hell if one is trying to buy property, esp. from private sellers/buyers....
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

VT, The argument the paper makes on cursory reading was that when labor unions are strong, there will be more contract manufacturing to evade labor regulations. So I am confused in AP's case looking at the numbers. It almost implies that labor unions are so active in AP, that manufacturer's resort to contract labor. Contract labor implies lower wages. But does AP have strong unions or even without unions strong labor laws on paper at least ?

In KL's case the % rate of contract manufacturing is flat across the years, which means no increase in manufacturing activity. AP's almost doubled from 30% to 60%, if I am reading it right.

There is more to this story definitely and buried in the 60+ pages of the entire document.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Now that we are discussing trade unions, a recent incident in the Hills of Munnar famous for its tea plantations came as a big surprise.
Tough questions before trade unions post-Munnar stir
Munnar strike: Kodiyeri, VS dismiss CITU leader’s remarks

The issue is that tea-plantation workers of Kanan Devan plantation (owned by Tatas) were on strike for the past 9 days. Better bonus, better pay scales etc. were their demands. Most of the plantation workers are women, who migrated from TN ages ago. These women were in the forefront of this strike. They did not even allow their men folk to join them, or get involved in any way.

The plantation has labour unions affiliated to all political parties. These women workers did not allow the union leaders any where near the venue of the strike. The MLA from the area a commie, tried to make hay when sun shines, but was literally chased away from the venue. He then did some gimmick of a hunger strike at a different location. The women had come with all data points ready. They clearly listed out the perks given to the labour union leaders, which included bungalows and managerial positions for their sons. Most of the union leaders were Keralites, while the actual working group was Tamil women. The women clearly proved that the labour unions in Munnar were nothing but paid agents or pawns of the company management. Or at the worse some kind of labour racketeers all ready to be purchased by people who have money.

Another commie leader stated that the strike was organised by LTTE separatists. He is now made to eat his own words at the moment. The union leaders also tried to paint a picture that this was a TN sponsored strike, with a later plan to get Munnar into TN state :roll:. The striking group also thanked the police and the media for helping them. There were minor rasta rokos in parts of Munnar, but police did not resort to any harsh tactics (again with strikers being Tamils, with K.P being all Malayalis).

If Keralites can learn some lessons from these Tamil working women, the state may see some improvement. The labour union leaders of the state have to be exposed for what they really are.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^Isn't Kannan Devan mostly employee owned? I thought the Tatas reduced their stake around 10 years ago.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

AP has strong unions - my one small data point is from a coal mining town and its twin whcih had/has a super-thermal power station. There used to be a murder/serious injury every other month year after year with mining shafts booby trapped, collapses while gangs are inside the mine shafts and such. INTUC, ITUC, and all other kinds of political party affiliated unions mixed in with caste rivalry thrown in. Officers lused to have their own English convent school, with a club house, birthday parties, large quarters where as the workers would have very small quarters and over crowded school (and a junior college), people from Haryana to Kanyakumari and lots and lots of temporary daily wage laborers.
The head of the mines had a designation - I am not kidding - The Agent. It was so surreal that it was almost a replica of Brave New World. All in TS area along with beedi leaf contractors in the vicinity of Chattisgharh. AP coastal though was very agricultural with lot of trading mixed in - not too many unions and people were happier (at least that was my impression growing up). Seema was mix of everything. The northern TS was heavily infiltrated by Naxalites who moved from southern WB into westenr Odisha, eastern MP/MH and northern TS. A big Gond (ST) population with zamindars (velama, reddy, and a few brahmin doras) thrown in for good measure. That whole area was a veritable powder keg.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

arshyam wrote:^^Isn't Kannan Devan mostly employee owned? I thought the Tatas reduced their stake around 10 years ago.
I think there was a catch here as well. Need to dig up more details, but the workers say that the estates given to employee cooperatives were already past their productive life :). The yield from these were not very good, and the workers any way had to sell their produce to the Tatas only. The people doing the procurement (for Tata Tea) would play spoil sport by bringing in quality issues etc., and buy the stuff at a cheaper rate.
Theo_Fidel wrote:Bengluru was nothing 50 years back. Then a flood of skilled people decided to move there and the place quickly developed.
The flooding of skilled people (in large numbers), I feel started after the KA state got its basic part right. That is, she figured out that IT is now going to be a cash cow for some 30-40 years, and allowed the initial set of IT entrepreneurs to set shop there. This happened when the state's overall literacy levels for not great, and we had a 100% literate state right across the border, with engineering graduates aplenty. And that was the time when getting an engineering seat in KL in general quota, really required the chap to be smart. Some times, I even get a feeling that KA governments of those days allowed IT companies to set shop perhaps knowing that this would bring in a lots of people to Bangalore - which means more long term money generation avenues (through apartment construction, real estate wheeling & dealing, plus lots of other legal, semi-legal & illegal means). Today thanks to this policy the situation is like any body who wants to start a career in IT, needs to be in Bangalore at least for some years :).
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Is Kerala really more water-stressed than Rajasthan? :shock:

How villages in Jaipur have become water-sufficient by using the simplest water conservation methods
Chandrasekaran takes the instance of Kerala, which despite being a rain-blessed state is in desperate need of conservation. "On the one hand, Kerala has plenty of rivers, lakes, ponds and brackish water and receives two monsoons but, on the other hand, it is a water-stressed state with water availability per capita being lower than that of Rajasthan," says Chandrasekaran.

Although Kerala has low groundwater potential because of its geography, most of its domestic and agricultural needs are met only by groundwater. Kerala has the highest density of wells in India, which has caused the water tables to fall.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Viv S wrote:Is Kerala really more water-stressed than Rajasthan? :shock:

How villages in Jaipur have become water-sufficient by using the simplest water conservation methods
Chandrasekaran takes the instance of Kerala, which despite being a rain-blessed state is in desperate need of conservation. "On the one hand, Kerala has plenty of rivers, lakes, ponds and brackish water and receives two monsoons but, on the other hand, it is a water-stressed state with water availability per capita being lower than that of Rajasthan," says Chandrasekaran.

Although Kerala has low groundwater potential because of its geography, most of its domestic and agricultural needs are met only by groundwater. Kerala has the highest density of wells in India, which has caused the water tables to fall.
Kerala has the added benefit of receiving both the monsoons. The ground water recharges easily and fairly continuously.