BR Maths Corner-1

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Maths Corner-1

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ The PBS Nova special was about Ramanujan.
Nova (1974– )The Man Who Loved Numbers

"The Man Who Loved Only Numbers", as you said, is a biography of the famous mathematician Paul Erdős (by Paul Hoffman. It is written much (IIRC later 1990's. Both books are excellent.

(I can claim/brag a very high Erdős number :) ) ( Erdős number is the number of "hops" needed to connect the author of a paper with Paul Erdős. An author's Erdős number is 1 if he has co-authored a paper with Erdős, 2 if he has co-authored a paper with someone who has co-authored a paper with Erdős).
(Here is a very famous picture of Erdos with another great mathematician - then 10 year old - Terrence Tao)

Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Amber G., you might know about the "happy ending problem" which was described in the book on Erdos. Let me pose it here.

Given five points in general position in a plane, i.e. no three points form a straight line, prove that there is always a convex quadrilateral.

The problem was given to Erdos and Szekeris by their friend Esther Klien. Both the men scratched their heads until Esther gave the solution.

It was the start of Ramsey Theory program by Erdos and Szekeris.

Erdos gave the problem that name because Szekeris and Esther Klein started a romantic relationship which ended in their marriage.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Honoring Ramanujan - (And talking about Bhargava etc):

Published today in RMS - Bhargava's class group cube has implications for black hole charges.
This new research published by Renowned Physicist Ashoke Sen and his team.

---
Ashoke Sen - as I hope most of the people know here as I have mentioned him here in brf, is likely to get Nobel some time - he won the Physics Breakthrough prize and Padma Bushan , (Along with Infosys prize, Dirac Medal, SS Bhatnagar Award, FRS, etc). (Not only that - he did his physics from IIT Kanpur and honored distinguished alum award and is/was prof at MIT :) )
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Vayutuvan: I did not know about "happy ending problem" so read about it. Thanks.
--
There is a very nice article about Dyson, (along with John Conway, Ronald Graham) in New Yorker which I really liked.
The scientists who explored the world with their mind.

Three Mathematicians We Lost in 2020

Dyson, who I had as a prof had major impact on many in the world. As this article says "Freeman Dyson was a translator: he turned physics into math, and those subjects into English for the general public."

Dyson's adviser was Hardy, and he was one of the leading expert on Ramanujan's math. He switched his field from pure math to physics because, as he once said "Math is too messy".. (Story is Harish Chandra - famous Indian Mathematician - once told him that HC decided to switch from Physics to Math because "Physics is too Messy", Dyson told him "He is switching from Math to Physics because of the same reason).

Dyson, according to him, was quite proud of the fact that he (along with Wigner) "discovered" ML Mehta (who was just an obscure student in 50's ) and invited him to Princeton and they worked on Random Matrices, and topics like that (which has come back to fashion now)..and found that spectrum lines of complex nuclei followed math inspired by Ramanujan. (Personally I learned a lot and inspired a lot by these gurus). He was also the bridge between people like Feynman (with his diagrams) and Schwinger (with his rigorous Math) showing that mathematically those methods were equivalent. Dyson will be missed.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

There are a series of interviews on YouTube with Freeman Dyson talking about Richard Feynman. About math and physics.

I agree Dyson will be missed. Many of us have been missing Feynman for a long time too. He left too early.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ There is a set of many "oral history" which are my favorites ... (Now they are available on you tube too).

There are a few where he talks about his invitation to Mehta and inviting him to Princeton..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgPcd1Fz3FA

Dyson and Feynman were very good friends - (Both were in Cornell around the same time with Bethe and had lot of adventures there)..One of trip both Feynman and Dyson have talked about a lot (in their auto biography as well as many other sources) was once they travelled across America in car.
(Feynman's famous "Surely you are Joking" talks about quite a few adventures of that journey).
Bethe, Feynman and Dyson - all were extremely quick (even when they were young students) in calculations or guessing/estimating/ complicated integrals etc.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

The thing I know about Hans Bethe is that George Gamow once played a practical joke (which I remember reading either in Gamow's own book, or in somebody else's book when he was talking about Gamow). Apparently Gamow wrote a paper with one Alpher and Hans Bethe. And tried to pass it off as the "Alpher, Bethe, Gamow" paper. And then tried to persuade somebody else to be the fourth author, on condition that the guy changed his last name to "Delter." Paraphrasing, don't remember the exact story.

Hint: Greek alphabet, first four letters.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ :) :) The above story is quite famous .. (I just checked it even has a wiki page -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpher%E2 ... amow_paper)..
- Ralph Alpher was Gamow's student, and they wrote a famous paper (actually now quite well known about origin of various elements inside stars), and Gamow humorously added Bethe's name (as H Bethe ( (in absentia) and this "alpha-beta-gamma' paper did get published. (Gamow said that since Bethe did not object and was quite helpful in discussions so his name was justified).

The story as you told is interesting as Gamow often joked that a later contributer Herman (who later did computer calculations based on that theory - stubbornly refuses to change his name to Delter.

Anyway - I HIGHLY recommend Gamow's books (he wrote dozens - all best sellers - Many text books but *many* popular books too) - If you can get "Thirty Years That shook Physics" where he has many such stories and interesting history of Physics. ..

I fondly remember visiting University of Colorado (where Gamow settled) had a huge display in their Physics department lobby - all covered with Gamow's published books - Some translated into many languages - I could see Gujrati, Marathi, Hindi etc..)..
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Gamow seems to have been quite the clown. I remember a story of his, about some trip (sorry, details are hazy, read a couple of his books long ago) where he and family were going horse-riding. Gamow being like 6'3" and pretty big, had a hard time finding a horse to carry him. One was found though, rather ungainly, but big-boned and able to carry his weight. And Gamow promptly named it "Betelgeuse." Betelgeuse (also associated with nakshatra Arudhra) is a gigantic red star in the constellation of Orion, I believe the name is Arabic for "arm of Orion" or "hand of Orion." Gamow OTOH interpreted it as "shoulder of the giant" (the giant being Orion, and Betelgeuse being its left shoulder). He thought the name was appropriate for that horse, since the poor thing had the task of shouldering the giant (i.e., 6'3" Gamow).

Then years later when he visited that same spot, he saw that horse again, and out of curiosity asked one of the guides "what's that horse called?" And the guide replied "Battle Goose, sir." "What? Why Battle Goose?" "I don't know sir, somebody named it that way, and the name just stuck."

Then in one of the math problems in his book, where one had to find the location of a treasure, there was a gallows as a reference point. He used the Greek letter "gamma" as a symbol for the location of that gallows, since the capital Gamma in Greek "even looks like a real gallows." I thought that was pretty creative, his name also being "Gamow."

This seems to be going OT, so I'll stop. It should serve to get folks interested in his books though.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to ask. Is Gamow also the guy who once tried to submit a paper with the title "How to Cook a Helium Nucleus in a Potential Pot" - only to have the editor reject the title? So he was bemoaning the lack of sense of humor in that editor.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Amber G. wrote:Vayutuvan: I did not know about "happy ending problem" so read about it. Thanks.
--
There is a very nice article about Dyson, (along with John Conway, Ronald Graham) i
John Conway, one of my favorite mathematicians, succumbed to COVID sometime around May-June 2020. I forgot to post it here. He was in his mid-80s.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

sudarshan wrote:Gamow seems to have been quite the clown.
(Paging @SriKumar, @chillarai, and @Mort Walker as well)

Now you are here, attempt the two problems I posed.

N faced polygon problem and the other is The Happy Ending Problem.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Vayutuvan wrote:Amber G., you might know about the "happy ending problem" which was described in the book on Erdos. Let me pose it here.

Given five points in general position in a plane, i.e. no three points form a straight line, prove that there is always a convex quadrilateral.

The problem was given to Erdos and Szekeris by their friend Esther Klien. Both the men scratched their heads until Esther gave the solution.

It was the start of Ramsey Theory program by Erdos and Szekeris.

Erdos gave the problem that name because Szekeris and Esther Klein started a romantic relationship which ended in their marriage.
I actually found this one rather easy, don't know if I made some major reasoning error (it's possible). I didn't look it up though, the below are my own thoughts on it.

Ee-e-nh, let's see now (as Bugs Bunny once said)....

Three non-collinear points in a plane will form a triangle, which is always considered convex. When you add a fourth point, which is not collinear with any any of the pairs of previous three points, the quadrilateral formed will be convex if each of the points are outside the triangle formed by the other three. Conversely, if the quadrilateral is concave, then one of the four points will be in the triangle formed by the other three (but not *on* the triangle, since the "no three collinear points" rule precludes that).

So of the five points, select any four. If these four form a convex quad, then the problem is over right there.

So we are concerned with the case where these four don't form a convex quad. Which means, one of them is inside the triangle formed by the other three.

So pick any triangle, and place a point inside it. It is to be shown that if we select a fifth point which is not collinear with any pair out of the previous four, then this fifth point will be such that, at least four out of the five will form a convex quad.

See the figure below. Three of the red dots form a triangle, and the fourth red dot is inside this triangle. The fifth point cannot lie on any of the green or black lines. So the fifth point has to lie within one of the pink, grey, or blue regions.

Last edited by sudarshan on 06 Jan 2021 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

The important thing to note is, that any of the pink regions are equivalent with any of the other; any of the grey regions are equivalent with any of the other; and any of the blue regions are equivalent with any of the other.

I.e., by flipping or rotating the triangle, whatever is said about the case where the fifth point is in one of the pink/ grey/ blue regions, can be shown to apply to the remaining ones as well.

So simplify the above figure:

sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Call this fifth point "5." In the above figure, put the fifth point in the pink region. 2, 3, 4, and 5 are guaranteed to form a convex quad (i.e., pick any three of these four points, it will instantly be seen that the fourth is outside the triangle formed by the other three).

Put the fifth point in the grey region, again, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are guaranteed to form a convex quad. (Again - pick any three of these four points, the fourth is instantly seen to be outside the triangle formed by the other three).

Put the fifth point in the blue region. Now, 1, 3, 4, and 5 are guaranteed to form a convex quad (same reasoning as above).

Hence proved. Did I miss anything?
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

If the fifth point is inside the triangle? I will check later unless you show that you already handled that case.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Vayutuvan wrote:If the fifth point is inside the triangle? I will check later unless you show that you already handled that case.
It's handled already, by this case:
sudarshan wrote: Put the fifth point in the blue region. Now, 1, 3, 4, and 5 are guaranteed to form a convex quad (same reasoning as above).
The blue region is inside the triangle.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Come listen to acclaimed author Robert Kanigel and renowned mathematician Ken Ono as they discuss The man who knew infinity and representing STEM in literature and cinema! Register now at: https://www.indiasciencefest.org/talks
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Sudarshan and others:
Adding some back ground to "Happy Ending Problem" :

Esther Klein brought this "puzzle" to George Szekeres and Paul Erdős. All were friends/mathematicians in their 20's (in mid 1930's)

"Given five points, and assuming no three fall exactly on a line, prove that it is always possible to form a convex quadrilateral — a four-sided shape that’s never indented (meaning that, as you travel around it, you make either all left turns or all right turns)."

This particular problem was not that hard. Esther Klein already knew the solution before she brought it to her friends and her friends were able to prove it for this particular case, but it started all thinking about general case. They were able to prove, for example it needed nine points to guarantee a convex pentagon.

Erdős and Szekeres proposed an exact formula for the number of points it would take to guarantee a convex polygon of any number of sides for n side : (2^(n–2) + 1). But this was a just a conjecture by Erdős - and as he did with many problems, he offered a $500 to anyone who could prove the formula was correct.

The problem is called "Happy Ending" because Esther Klein and George Szekeres fell in love, got married etc.
Erdős passed away in 1996 and Esther & George Szekeres in 2005 - Both passed away on the same day within hours of each other. Both were 90+ years old and 70 years have passed - The prize (now managed by others) is still there to be claimed.

From what I know, (have not read the latest) - The only other shape whose result is known is a hexagon, which requires at least 17 points. Some recently published papers by Suk and may be others provides nearly decisive evidence that the intuition that guided Erdős and Szekeres is correct -- it has given many interesting tools.

Here is a old picture of the three. (Around 1930) (Photo credit : Ronald Graham (Erdős)/Komal)
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

Amberji, your statement does not include the coplanar clause which was in Vayutuvan's problem statement. It will be much more difficult to consider non coplanar cases no?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Najunamar wrote:Amberji, your statement does not include the coplanar clause which was in Vayutuvan's problem statement. It will be much more difficult to consider non coplanar cases no?
Nice to see you here, haven't seen you in this dhaga..:)

You raise an interesting point. But non-coplanar cases are actually "easier" for 5 points. (or more complex if you want to find general formula)

For example if one generalize this to say 3 dimension, where no four points are on the same plane then 4 points will always form a convex polygon. (Just like in a plane, 3 points will always form a convex polygon). Interestingly here (in 3 dimension) 6 points (where no 4 points are in the same plane) are enough to find 5 points so that when they are cyclic joined will be convex.

In "general" case of the above problem, in k dimension, if one chooses k+3 points, k+2 points can be joined. Erdos conjecture, a modified formula exist. Generally, for every d and k > d there exists a number m(d,k) such that every set of m(d,k) points in general position has a subset of k points that form the vertices of a "neighborly" polytope ..ityadi .. (I do not know a lot - in fact quite little, in graph theory but these problems - even simple looking problems become very hard)
---
There are some good books ( eg Grünbaum's - Convex Polytopes) and plenty of material but not much in popular books I have seen.
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

Amberji thanks!, Yes, I was thinking about > 5 points or a generic octahedron (not regular)- in general for just 3D space but as you mentioned could also think of n-dimensional space too. Much obliged for the book suggestion - shall search in the public library system.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile on Biden team - as a scientific adviser Eric Steven Lander - MIT professor, mathematician (won medal in IMO). Congratulations.
(Interesting to see, now both in US and India good scientists are getting listened too),
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

The book by Grunbuam is the authoritative book on Convex Polytopes.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Congratulations to Adam W. Marcus of EPFL, Daniel Alan Spielman of Yale University, and Nikhil Srivastava of University of California, Berkeley, winners of the 2021 National Academy of Sciences’ Michael and Sheila Held Prize for their work on the Kadison-Singer problem and Ramanujan graphs! (It's a $100,000 prize)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Sad to hear Hank Aaron's passed away today.

He leaves his mark in Mathematics too! In mathematics, a Ruth–Aaron pair consists of two consecutive integers (e.g., 714 and 715) for which the sums of the prime factors of each integer are equal:

714 = 2 × 3 × 7 × 17,715 = 5 × 11 × 13,
and
2 + 3 + 7 + 17 = 5 + 11 + 13 = 29.
(Aaron's 715th home run broke Ruth's 714 record).
(A Famous theorem by renowned mathematicians Erdos and Pomerance proves that such pairs are extremely rare (have density 0 )
Famous joke is that Hank Aaaron's Erodos number is 1! (Hank Aaron has an Erdős number of 1 because they both autographed the same baseball when Emory University awarded them honorary degrees on the same day.)
Rest in peace!
(Pictured below: Two legends Paul Erdos with Hank Aaron)
(You may like this: https://youtu.be/aCq04N9it8U)
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

sudarshan wrote:The important thing to note is, that any of the pink regions are equivalent with any of the other; any of the grey regions are equivalent with any of the other; and any of the blue regions are equivalent with any of the other.

I.e., by flipping or rotating the triangle, whatever is said about the case where the fifth point is in one of the pink/ grey/ blue regions, can be shown to apply to the remaining ones as well.

So simplify the above figure:

[img...]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/508 ... abe6_c.jpg[/img]
Nice figure. I think you are looking at the convex cones. Probably that will show a way to work on higher dimensional variations of the problem. I was reading something else and came up on the problem and read the solution. It is simpler than you think. It is through case analysis as follows.

Case 1: Convex hull contains all 5 points. Then any four points will form the required convex quad.
Case 2: Convex hull contains 4 points. That is the required convex quad.
Case 3: Convex hull contains 3 points, ie, a triangle. That means two points are inside the triangle. The line defined by these two interior points divides the triangle into two parts - one part contains one vertex of the triangle and the other two vertices. These vertices and the two internal vertices form the required convex quad.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Najunamar wrote:Amberji, your statement does not include the coplanar clause which was in Vayutuvan's problem statement. It will be much more difficult to consider non coplanar cases no?
You are a Geometer or algebraist? Computational? Linear programming?
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

https://slashdot.org/story/21/03/08/034 ... ing-papers
"Easier to compile a list of reproducible ones...," one user responded.

"Probably 50%-75% of all papers are unreproducible. It's sad, but it's true," another user wrote. "Think about it, most papers are 'optimized' to get into a conference. More often than not the authors know that a paper they're trying to get into a conference isn't very good! So they don't have to worry about reproducibility because nobody will try to reproduce them." A few other users posted links to machine learning papers they had failed to implement and voiced their frustration with code implementation not being a requirement in ML conferences.

The next day, ContributionSecure14 created "Papers Without Code," a website that aims to create a centralized list of machine learning papers that are not implementable...

Papers Without Code includes a submission page, where researchers can submit unreproducible machine learning papers along with the details of their efforts, such as how much time they spent trying to reproduce the results... If the authors do not reply in a timely fashion, the paper will be added to the list of unreproducible machine learning papers
The state of AI/ML research is much worse than I previously thought. Not all that surprising considering the amount of "venture capital" flowing into this rabbit hole.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Allow me to share a picture from a playground near Ramanujan's birthplace ( Kumbakonam, India). Photo was taken around 2005. Swinging away are world renowned mathematicians - and experts on Ramanujan's work.
-Prof. Manjul Bhargava (Padmbhushan, India's first field medalist, winner of SHASTRA Ramanujan Prize and many other prestigious awards),
-Prof. Krishnaswami Alladi.
-Prof Ken Ono
and Prof Mira Bhargava (Manjul's mom) (A excellent mathematician in her own right)

(Photo credit : Prof Ken Ono)
(People in Brf may be familiar with these mathematicians as I have mentioned them several times. Prof. Bhargava and Prof Ono were technical advisers for the famous movie "Man who knew Infinity" and have been involved in many other documentaries and books about Ramanujan's life and Math)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

sudarshan wrote:Amber G ji, maybe you could suggest to Dr. Vidyasagar et al, that the bijaganita (tr.: algebraic; literally: "seed mathematics") terms in that supermodel could use Sanskrit aksharas instead of Greek letters. There's more than enough letters in Indian languages, and after all, the concept of bijaganita did originate in India.
The Model is now called SUTRA . :)
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Hours/days/weeks/months/years of fun (depending on how sharp your mathematical mind is).
For me it would be years if not decades :-(

American Mathematical Monthly Problems - 2021
The American Mathematical Monthly is an expository journal intended for a wide audience of mathematicians, from undergraduate students to research professionals. Each issue has a Problems and Solutions section where several new problems are proposed. Below you can find the solutions that I've submitted this year (pdfs will be available after the deadline). As regards the previous years, you can take a look through the following links (but beware of nerd sniping ): 2020 (45), 2019 (41), 2018 (36), 2017 (40), 2016 (50), 2015 (48), 2014 (41), 2013 (29), 2012 (22), 2011 (22), 2010 (15), 2009 (13), 2008 (16), 2007 (15), 2006 (16), 2005 (22), 2004 (13), 2003 (13), 2002 (6), 2001-1993 (19).
For anyone who is interested in sharing hints and solutions, please feel free to contact me at ...
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Many Indian newspapers have headlines about Dr Kumar Eswaran and his "solving" Riemann hypothesis..
Some reports are extremely sloppy and silly and misrepresent/exaggerate claims. Wish they got better writers/editors

Here is one link: Hyderabad-based math genius claims to have solved the 161-year-old Riemann hypothesis: Details
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Amber G. wrote:Many Indian newspapers have headlines about Dr Kumar Eswaran and his "solving" Riemann hypothesis..
Some reports are extremely sloppy and silly and misrepresent/exaggerate claims. Wish they got better writers/editors

Here is one link: Hyderabad-based math genius claims to have solved the 161-year-old Riemann hypothesis: Details
This has been all over in Indian Media. Outside India I have not seen much. Neither I have heard from any professional mathematician to take this claim seriously. The "expert committee" formed by this institute (who is "certifying" the result) is going to lose all credibility.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

is there a copy of the proof somewhere? will be most interested in seeing it..
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^
1) URL of Recent Press Note
https://sreenidhi.edu.in/pdffls/Electro ... e_2021.pdf

2)URL of recent E-Book
https://sreenidhi.edu.in/pdffls/A_Repor ... 06-21).pdf

(There have been no paper in peer-reviewed journal - work is there since 2016, but it has been on arXiv and research_gate for last few years)

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... Principles

(The papers do not require expert knowledge - good UG or graduate level basic math is enough to follow).. There are you-tube videos (produced by Prof. Kumar's Eswarna's younger brother) for non-experts -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sganQmf ... APmgGGrhfb
And here is non-youtube version:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... nsolidated

(For background, for non-experts, there are many good books (Eg HM Edwards) for background - actually wiki articles are pretty good too (at present they have been locked for edit - because of too-much silly activity))

Of course, this brf dhaga does have many posts about Riemann's hypothesis and its implications.. (Just search on my posts for example).
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Today is 6th of the month.
Six is a perfect number.
Only perfect number which is sandwiched between two primes.
6 + 66 + 666 + 6666 + 66666 + 666666 + 1 is prime.
6*66*666*6666*66666*666666 + 1 is prime.
6^6 + 5^5 + 4^4 + 3^3 + 2^2 + 1^1 is prime
Happy 6th
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

During all of this week, there is a Symposium on Number Theory which some of the people here may find Interesting. It is hosted by IISER Pune, in honor of Prof. M. V. Subbarao, in his centenary year.

It is hosted virtually and all can attend it.

Details: Symposium on Number Theory
In honour of Prof. M.V. Subbarao on his birth centenary

The schedule of talks is <here>
And links for talks (there is different link for each day) >>>
There are *many* well known names in the list of speakers.
Most of the lectures will be technical but there are few which may be of special interest:
On Thursday July 15th, at 8:30 PM IST, there will be a Felicitation Session in memory Prof. M. V. Subbarao. It will be non-technical and should be enjoyable. It is open to all. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XligwBscI6E

---- A Little earlier on the same day there is a lecture on "SUTRA" Model by none other than Prof Manindra Agrawal.
(Prof. Subbarao's son is also quite famous - Prof. Vidyasagar - Fellow author of Sutra).
Check out the wiki link for some background: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathukumalli_V._Subbarao
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ Today's lectures were excellent ..I particularly enjoyed last one by Prof Bruce Berndt.. but a few others may not be that technical and may be enjoyable. (Link below - lectures is the last lecture)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

The program is continues to be excellent. Highly recommend watching it. Excellent topics covered by top mathematicians in the world .. Highly Enjoyable. Prof Vidyasagar's tribute to his father was simply excellent.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Congratulations/Best wishes to International Math Olympiad participants:
Indian Team: Pranjal Srivastave, Rohan Goyal, Suchir Kaustav , Anish Yougesh Kulkarni, Vedant Sainia and Ananya rajas randde .
USA Team: Ankit Bisain, Quanlin Chen, Maxim Li, Luke Robitaille, Noah Walsh, and Zihan Wang!