BR Maths Corner-1

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Maths Corner-1

Postby Amber G. » 09 Jul 2018 04:26

The International Math Olympiads 2018 are currently in process.

Good luck to Alll, specially Indian and US teams.
US Team:
- James Lin (Contestant 1)(19 years old, Gold in IMO 2017)
• Participation at IMO: 2017 (G)
- Adam Ardeishar (Contestant 2)(16 years old)
- Mihir Anand Singhal (Contestant 3)(17 Years old)
- Andrew GuAndrew Gu (Contestant 4) (17 years old), Gold in IMO 2017)
- Michael RenMichael Re ((Contestant 5) (18 years old
- Vincent HuangVincent Huan (Contestant 6)(17 years old, Silver in 2017)
• Participation at IMO: 2017 (S)

Hi, and Good luck to Po-Shen Loh (Leader)(A well know mathematics family, both brothers and sister has won gold medals for US in past - Time passes fast have known him for 20+ years)

Indian Team:
- Sutanay Bhattacharya (Contestant 1) (17 years old, Bronze in 2016, HM in 2017)
- Spandan GhoshSpandan Ghosh (Contestant 2)(16 years old)
- Amit Kumar Mallik (Contestant 3)( 16 years old)
- Anant Mudgal (Contestant 4) (17 years old, 2015 HM, 2016 Bronze, 2017 Bronze)
- Pulkit Sinha (Contestant 5) ( 18 years old)
- Pranjal Srivastava (Contestant 6) (14 Years old)

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Postby Amber G. » 09 Jul 2018 22:49

IMO contest is just over.. Rumors (per students) for the first day (yesterday)
Problem 1 All 6 got it
Problem 2 1 perfect, 1 near perfect, 1 half, 3 no.
Problem 3 (None got it).

*** Official results and problems will be out shortly (in a day or so) and I will post the results here.

I think US will beat China this year and will come first.
Last edited by Amber G. on 09 Jul 2018 23:03, edited 2 times in total.

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Postby Amber G. » 09 Jul 2018 22:51

The third problem of International Math olympiad happens to be an old problem, I am sure I saw it in Scientific American's Gardenr's column. (My father was interested in such problems so I have happy memories of playing with such patterns. Of course, I had lots of fun introducing Pascal's triangle (and magic squares) to my own kids and nephews/nieces.) I though the India team would have been able to do it, as this kind of patters have been studied in India long time ago.

Here is the problem, try your hand on it :) . (feel free to post solution or effort).
>>> Problem from day 1 of 2018 IMO:

An anti-Pascal triangle is an equilateral triangular array of numbers such that, except for the numbers in the top row, each number is the absolute value of the difference of the two numbers immediately above it.

For example, the following is an anti-Pascal triangle with four rows which contains *every* integer from *1* to *10*

Code: Select all

6   10   1   8
            4    9   7
              5   2

Does there exist an anti-Pascal triangle with 2018 rows which contains every integer from *1* to *1 + 2 + 3 + ...+ 2018*?

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Postby Amber G. » 12 Jul 2018 19:29

Added later: The official results have been posted. (https://www.imo-official.org/results.aspx ) But I am keeping my original message. It was fun to predict/guess while partial results were known.

**** Original message ***

IMO 2018 -
Based on partial results (and information from coaches/students, rumors)..
USA has done excellent ..looks like they (and China) are #1 and #2..(** Official results, USA 1, Russia 2, China 3)
at least two people in USA have gotten perfect score in at least 5 of the six problems. Impressive.
(Edited later: James Lin did get perfect score in *all* the problems and Mihir Anand Singhal got 40/42)

(Official results will be out shortly, but partial results are available to participants/coaches)

India - I hoped veteran Anant to get a gold this time but it does not look like so. Newest and youngest Pranjal (14 years and I think youngest in history from India) has done well (but I was hoping more) (*** edited later *** India ranked 28)

Any way from partial results I think/hope -- India has chances to get 3 silvers and 1-2 bronzes Fingers crossed (** edited later *** India did get 3 silver and 2 bronze)

Congrats to all.

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Postby Amber G. » 13 Jul 2018 01:15

Congratulations to U.S. team on their 1st place victory at the 59th International Mathematical Olympiad in Romania!

(5 golds, 1 Silver, 1 perfect score, Wow!)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dh6eKflXcAAhp2Z.jpg

Congratulations to Indian team. (3 Silvers, 2 Bronze, 1 HM).

I was watching it for last few days,-- few friends were participating -- and it was fun to guess/predict results based on partial scores etc.

I was hoping for Gold for Anant and Pranjal (14 years and I think youngest in history from India)

Full Official results are now posted on IMO site.
https://www.imo-official.org/results.aspx

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Postby Amber G. » 13 Jul 2018 02:08

^^^ For the record ( Name, score (out of 42) and Medal)
IND1 Sutanay Bhattacharya 21 Bronze
IND2 Spandan Ghosh 21 Bronze
IND3 Amit Kumar Malik 10 HM
IND4 Anant Mudgal} 26 Silver
IND5 Pulkit Sinha 26 Silver
IND6 Pranjal Srivastava 28 Silver
(I am specially impressed by Pranjal - He is youngest - had 4 perfect scores (Prob 3 and Prob 6 were missed) - and method used were nice).. I am sure he is going to do very well in the next olympiad and math in general.

Prob 3, (which I posted above) turned out to be rather difficult. None of Indian team solved it. Only 2 from USA did it.
I was kind of surprised as I posted above, when I checked, the problem has indeed came in Scientific American. (This is probably 30-40 years late, but I knew how to solve it then :) ..)

Problem is posted above. (With the hint that solution is in SA one can do internet search)..
(Hint: Answer, is one can not find a solution for N>5 (so not solution for 2018))

One solution posted in SA came from 4th grader (for N=6)indeed quite simple.

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Postby Amber G. » 13 Jul 2018 03:38

Also, (since I don't see any news in MSM - specially Indian news papers - some more data,,
Cutoffs
Bronze: 16
Silver: 25
Gold: 31

Ranking
1. USA
2. Russia
3. China
4. Ukraine
5. Thailand
6. Taiwan
7. Korea
8. Singapore
9. Poland
10. Indonesia..
28 India
Team results at : http://www.imo-official.org/year_country_r.aspx?year=2018&column=total&order=desc

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Postby Amber G. » 01 Aug 2018 22:56

Congratulations to Akshay Venkatesh for winning the Fields Medal along with, Peter Scholze, Alessio Figalli and Caucher Birkar.

Born in New Delhi, raised in Austraila, and like Manjul another one from Princeton.
Akshay has won SASTRA Ramanujan Prize and his work in Number theory makes him true prodigy like Ramanujan - has done lot of work. In 2010, as I mentioned in brf dhaga, he was an invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians (Hyderabad), BTW I predicted his and few other's from India's name then as no Indian has won the Fields prize then. Manjul Bhargava did not win in 2010 but won in 2014 - first Indian origin. (and BTW Modi recruited him as participant in GIAN). Akshay won this year. (Kiran Kedalya is the only one I missed, 2 out of 3 is not bad!!)

I remember when Modi made his first trip to Australia, he told how both Austraila and India are proud of Akshay.
(He mentioned it along with common bond like Cricket between India/Austraila greats - How many world leaders even know about such things? - I mean how many PM would even know that greatest Australian mathematician was born in India).

Again congratulations.

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Postby Amber G. » 01 Aug 2018 23:07

How about this??? This was 8 years ago: (Link: https://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewtopic.php?p=923025#p923025

I think I deserve BRF prize! :)

Amber G. wrote:
Amber G. wrote:Rumors is that Kiran Kedlaya is in for Fields Medal. (Guys you heard it here first!). He is under 40, and is an invited speaker. People may recall I had talked about him in our math thread. He has won many IMO medals ... for those who don't know him, he is at present a prof at MIT.
(Of course, It is a guarded secret, and no one is suppose to know till the announcement is made)

Other I think may be Ngo or may be Lurie or Manjul Bhargava.. Lets us wait and see.

Time is quite near ... Any rumor in Hyderabad?
I'll add another Indian name here: Ashkay Venkatesh

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Postby SaiK » 24 Sep 2018 06:27

Courtesy/ #via: @venug

https://aperiodical.com/2018/09/hlf-blo ... ypothesis/
HLF Blogs: What is the Riemann Hypothesis?

#Vyoman, #Sky_High
Aha.. so, to answer this question: What would the consequences of a proof be?

"
The most straightforward consequence, if the least mathematically interesting, would be that the person to do it would be awarded one million dollars. "

So, there is no emphatic/direct impact on encryption

#Vyoman, #Sky_High
I guess, we are covered by having higher number of bits to cover up for possible hits - for example: SHA3 1024 bits

venug
The author says there could be as it will make prime number finding easy

venug
2m
#Vyoman, #Sky_High
Perhaps we will take this to BRF math dhaaga. we have couple or profs there

venug
Ok

calling gurus to explain what benefits the world on solving this?

venug
BRFite

Postby venug » 25 Sep 2018 04:18

For those of you curious about the #Riemannhypothesis, this thread is excellent. It explains why skepticism about the “proof” is warranted.

https://twitter.com/stevenstrogatz/stat ... 00066?s=21

Return to “Technology & Economic Forum”