Physics Discussion Thread

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Re: Physics Discussion Thread

Post by Amber G. »

^^^Yes. :)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Here is another: Two *very* brilliant physicists:
(Photo by by E. M. Payne, credit: UChicago Archives - 1939)
Last edited by Amber G. on 06 Nov 2021 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

One postulated the limit to be 1.4x mass of sun, the other I have no idea. Did not take sahaara of google to khoj the tasveers of said vaigyaniks.

No problems posted/discussed in bhauthik shaastra dhaagaa, only in ganith dhaaga :((.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^Yes, the other is Lalitha Doraiswamy Chandrasekhar - first woman PhD student working under CV Raman.

Also, while Chandrasekhar first joined Cambridge and started on his famous work (postulating the limit o 1.4x mass of sun ityadi), she was on his mind -- as can be seen on the notes on his notebook.

As one can see the notes are dated September 11, a day that would prove important in Chandrasekhar’s life. Exactly six years later, Lalitha and Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar were married..they were much admired by all those who knew them.

(Small tidbit - The day Chandrasekhar's Nobel prize was announced, it was Lalithaji's birthday)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Today remembering Chandrasekhar's uncle on his birthday.. CV Raman.
SinghS
BRFite

Post by SinghS »

Amber G. wrote:Today remembering Chandrasekhar's uncle on his birthday.. CV Raman.
He must be a great teacher too. I am awe-struck by the quality of drawing & presentation on the black board. Such a clarity!!! I envy those lucky few in the classroom.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

SinghS wrote: He must be a great teacher too. I am awe-struck by the quality of drawing & presentation on the black board. Such a clarity!!! I envy those lucky few in the classroom.
That's got to have come from a stencil. Else - try drawing those lower case 'r's that way consistently by hand. Although - how does one use a stencil with chalk on a blackboard? :-?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Sir Raman did have very good handwriting. Many in that era mastered the use of black board.. here is one - He is teaching "Diffraction" in this picture, I believe is from 1960's.

Yes quite a few of these great teachers, did not need power-point slides and I have seen a few in my days - or even in my son's days in MIT - where they still have old fashioned chalk boards with multiple color chalks (fortunately newer ones are dust less :) .. But Raman was well known for his neat handwriting.
(I was extremely lucky to know him - and many in his family.. and had pleasure to hear him in a classroom lecture)
Last edited by Amber G. on 07 Nov 2021 22:19, edited 2 times in total.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

sudarshan wrote:
SinghS wrote: He must be a great teacher too. I am awe-struck by the quality of drawing & presentation on the black board. Such a clarity!!! I envy those lucky few in the classroom.
That's got to have come from a stencil. Else - try drawing those lower case 'r's that way consistently by hand. Although - how does one use a stencil with chalk on a blackboard? :-?
Many good lecture halls had "aids" (essentially large "T's - or long rulers, and larger geometry sets) where you can draw neat straight lines and other geometrical figures. There were/are multiple black-boards (some times as many as 10) on pulleys and such where, if you came early you can write stuff earlier and present it at right time by making the board visible to students).

For example see:
Last edited by Amber G. on 07 Nov 2021 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Powerpoint presentations are for lazy professors, which is very common nowadays, as opposed to writing and explaining as you're going through a lecture is most often the best way for students to learn. White boards also work as opposed to chalk boards.

The multiple chalk-white-black-boards are still common in many universities. They are on pulleys and slides. For some lecture rooms I have seen these boards on the front, sides and back of the room. It is the best way to judge the quality of the teaching of college or university by walking through the classrooms to see how much writing space is available for professors.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Interesting, now a days everyone uses a word processor and LaTex etc.. but before that, people used their neat hand-writing to write their PhD Thesis..
Here is one *very* famous from Dirac..
SinghS
BRFite

Post by SinghS »

Amber G. wrote:Sir Raman did have very good handwriting. Many in that era mastered the use of black board.. here is one - He is teaching "Diffraction" in this picture, I believe is from 1960's.

Yes quite a few of these great teachers, did not need power-point slides and I have seen a few in my days - or even in my son's days in MIT - where they still have old fashioned chalk boards with multiple color chalks (fortunately newer ones are dust less :) .. But Raman was well known for his neat handwriting.
(I was extremely lucky to know him - and many in his family.. and had pleasure to hear him in a classroom lecture)
I did not mean the handwriting or presentation in terms of neatness.

The quality is in the way he relates various areas of theory, experiments, results, inferences in a clear and concise manner. Just see the drawing of the spectrum. He has removed the unnecessary information and how he trains the student to look and focus on where it is required. If you see spectrum of any given material in a chemistry or physics book; it would take you hell lot of time to go through the chapter, theory, theory behind theory and again take a relook at spectrum to understand what does the spectrum implies.

I just envy those lucky few who had a chance to take a spectrometer plate and run to him & discuss. If you put a real spectrum photograph and his drawing side by side(in that era it was black & white, I suppose)...you can understand what I mean. A look at board, tells me that such was his mastery and clarity over every other area of the subject.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Delighted to share the news:
Prof Harhsh Chandra Verma, a fellow IITK alum and a well known Physics Teacher is honored as a padma shri.

Prof. Verma is a well-known name in the field of Indian education. He has authored several school, undergraduate and graduate books, the most popular being two-volume book “Concepts of Physics”. Prof. Verma is currently running Shiksha Sopan, an NGO that helps children from underprivileged background in their education.
Hearty Congratulations Prof Hc Verma and best wishes for future endeavor.

(I might have posted about him in this dhaga - at the time of Covid, he donated his services (came out of retirement) - many of his videos - online classes etc were available to other college/school students and to public)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

SinghS wrote:
The quality is in the way he relates various areas of theory, experiments, results, inferences in a clear and concise manner. ..
Yes. Among other things, not only a great physicist - he was a great teacher and knowledgeable in *so many* different fields. He taught, inspired a whole generation of other great physicist.

This is true, also for his wonderful family. Starting with his father (prof in Mathematics)..all his brothers were extremely well known in their field, various nephews, nieces -- Not only two physics nobel (he and his nephew) many others are extremely well known in *so many* other fields.

For example, Chadrasekhar's brother was personal physician of Lal Bahdur Shastri - (when he was PM). Among others one can find word famous astronomers, Engineers, tamil and Sanskrit scholars, musicians etc

One anecdote I posted here about him in this dhaga - President of UC talked about a physics class Chandra gave - the only class where 100% of his students got a nobel in Physics. ( He used to drive about 50 miles to give a class which had only two registered students - Both (Yang and Lee) got a nobel - other who 'audited' the class was Fermi).
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Amber G. wrote:Another famous scientist, Narinder S. Kapany, ‘Father of Fiber Optics,’ Died recently. He was 94 years old.
Several times I have mentioned him in Physics or other dhaga's here in Brf about his work.

He never won a Nobel, but was one of the great pioneer/engineer who as a an young Engineer at Cornig did pioneering work to make fiber optics a success. Fortune named him one of seven 'Unsung Heroes' in their 'Businessmen of the Century' issue in 1999.
I am glad that he was honored with padma vibhushan ..

President Kovind presents Padma Vibhushan to Dr Narinder Singh Kapany (Posthumous) for Science and Engineering. Known as the father of fibre optics, Dr Kapany was a scientist, academician, entrepreneur, passionate collector of Sikh art and philanthropist.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

For those who have interest in Physics, let me share an excellent article - written for non-experts.

The author is Frank Wilczek - A Nobel prize winning MIT physicist who has a gift of writing articles for common people.

Article is about chirality. From Nobel Symposium keynote - easy to read, with an Easter egg for Christmas.
Link: Chirality: A Scientific Leitmotif

Enjoy.
(Even if you are not familiar with the word Chiral - you would enjoy it and learn something quite important).
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Born on this day in 1894: Indian physicist Satyendranath Bose. In 1924 Bose sent a seminal paper to Einstein in which he derived Planck’s radiation formula without recourse to classical physics. Einstein extended the paper’s concepts, signaling the creation of Bose-Einstein statistics.

Bose-Einstein statistics applies to particles like photons which don’t have half-integer spin. It underlines critical phenomena like lasers and superfluidity in liquid helium. It took until 1995 for Bose-Einstein condensation to be experimentally verified.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

His teaching PHY103 course to 1st year students of IIT Kanpur for many years resulted in the new book Classical Electromagnetism... Should be useful for students at the level of BSc, B Tech, GATE, NET, JEST etc
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Physicist Deepak Dhar Becomes First Indian to be Conferred with Prestigious Boltzmann Medal.

Stalwart Indian physicist and Emeritus Professor at the Department of Physics, IISER, Pune, Prof Deepak Dhar will be conferred the prestigious Boltzmann Medal for his contribution in the field of statistical physics.

The Boltzmann Medal is given every three years by the C3 Commission on Statistical Physics of the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP) at the Statphys Conference.

The Award, comprising a gilded medal, honours outstanding achievements in statistical physics. The award will be given during Statphys 28 to be held in Tokyo from August 8 to 12.

IISER, Pune announced the award on its Twitter handle and Facebook page late on Thursday evening after Prof Dhar received a letter from the IUPAP. However, the IUPAP website had no mention of the award.

Prof Dhar shares the prize with John Hopfield, an American scientist.

When IANS spoke to Prof Dhar to congratulate him, especially as he is the first Indian to get the prestigious award, the scientist said: "The award was instituted in 1975 or so. We have had people such as Satyendra Nath Bose ... one should not ignore the great work that they have done in this field."

The 1951-born Dhar is known for his research on statistical physics and stochastic processes. He is an elected fellow of all the three major Indian science academies - the Indian Academy of Sciences, the Indian National Science Academy, and the National Academy of Sciences, India - as well as of The World Academy of Sciences.

The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has awarded him the 'Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize' for Science and Technology for his contributions to physical sciences in 1991.

Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India, K VijayRaghavan tweeted: "Professor Dhar is one of the brightest physicists around. He shares the prize with John Hopfield, of whom the same can be said. From Allahabad University, IIT Kanpur, California University and then TIFR, he has left a great imprint in each place."

A science graduate from the University of Allahabad (1970) and a master's in physics from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur in 1972, Prof Dhar moved to the US for his doctoral studies.

In 1978, he returned to India to start his long career at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) as a research fellow the same year and over the years, became a full professor.

Post-retirement, he continues his association with TIFR as a distinguished professor of the institution. He also serves as a distinguished visiting faculty at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Pune.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ Thanks, He is the first Indian to receive the prestigious Boltzman Medal. Prof. Deepak Dhar did his MS (MSC2/PHY/1973) from IIT Kanpur. At present he is Emeritus Professor at Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Pune in the Department of Physics. His interest is in Statistical Physics, and has worked in the areas of fractals, self organized criticality, percolation and animal problems and slow relaxation in magnets and glasses.
Congratulations to him!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

This is a rather long video (1.5 hours) but for those who want to learn about elementary particles /high energy physics is worth watching ... (may be watch 10-15 minutes at a time to split the long video ).

Anyway here is the url https://youtu.be/KlrnEG8YB6E
The presenter is renowned particle physicist Dr. Rohini Godbole.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Sharing:
A new book chronicles the extraordinary life of Mildred Dresselhaus, dubbed queen of carbon for her trailblazing research into the fundamental physics of graphite and carbon nanotubes.

She was very much involved in teaching and mentoring in MIT and was a role model for many in MIT (She was my son's 'advisor' (mentor/councilor ) in his undergraduate days - A practice in MIT where senior professors are assigned as a guide to new coming students).

Queen of carbon, champion of women in science
chilarai
BRFite

Post by chilarai »

About cool blackboard writings
At my engineering madrassa, the physics professor would come with a big box of coloured chalks and for the 2 waves showing constructive and destructive interference . he would draw with two different colours and with BOTH hands at the same time and it would be constructive and destructive at the right places !!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Congratulations to Prof Ajay Sood (IISc)on being appointed as the new Principal Scientific Adviser to GoI. A renowned physicist, a top-notch researcher, and an excellent communicator. Very good choice.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Amber G. wrote:Congratulations to Prof Ajay Sood (IISc)on being appointed as the new Principal Scientific Adviser to GoI. A renowned physicist, a top-notch researcher, and an excellent communicator. Very good choice.
Do you have any idea about what are implications of this? space, nuclear,organisational restructuring, IT sector etc.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

FWIW - In my humble opinion, its a *very* good choice. He succeeds Prof. K Vijay Raghavan (IITK) who was the PSA since 2019. Prof Ashustosh Agrawal (IITK) was DST secretary till recently who also now returned to academic work. Have known these guys for decades - very respected in their fields and good communicators.
Prof. Ajay Sood, an eminent physicist (with FRS, padma sri etc) with many impactful contributions in the soft matter & nanosciences, so he will be a very good advisor to Modi.
check out this or this

As one of the colleague who knows the prof very well said - "There will be less noise, more action!"
viveks
BRFite

Post by viveks »

I have a question. Is there information about testing electro-magnetism in a vaccum?
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Amber G. wrote:Sir Raman did have very good handwriting. Many in that era mastered the use of black board.. here is one - He is teaching "Diffraction" in this picture, I believe is from 1960's.

(I was extremely lucky to know him - and many in his family.. and
had pleasure to hear him in a classroom lecture)

Amber G you are blessed. Pranam
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Theoretical physicist and Nobel laureate Chen Ning Yang turns 100 today! With Tsung-Dao Lee, he made the seminal discovery of parity violation in weak interactions and also came up with Yang-Mills theory which is at the core of electroweak unification.

This picture is from my archive, taken around 1969 when I was a new grad student. (He is front -right - there are a few more famous physics profs with him. He was an excellent teacher too. I learnt lot of mathematical physics (Group Theory, Riemannian Geometry) from him.

He was Chandrasekhar's student. The story goes that Chandrasekhar used to drive 2 hours from Yerkes Observatory to the University of Chicago every week to teach a class of just two - Yang and Lee. In 1957 the entire class won the Nobel Prize; it was possibly the shortest gap between discovery and prize.

In 1983 the professor (Shri Chandrasekhar) also got the Nobel Prize.

There is a small additional detail in this story..In addition to *two* official students (Yang and Lee), there was another person who often audited/attended this class... Enrico Fermi. :).. (Another famous student of Prof Chandrasekhar from that time is Carl Sagan)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Nobel Prize in Physics Is Awarded to 3 Scientists for Work in Quantum Technology

Alain Aspect, John F. Clauser and Anton Zeilinger were recognized for their experiments in an area that has broad implications for secure information transfer and quantum computing.

(IMO Unsurprising - predictable). Stuart Freedman who deserved the prize as much as these three sadly died in 2012.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Particle physicist and Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam who received the Nobel Prize for electroweak unification died on this day in 1996.

I have posted several times in this dhaga about him - the only "Muslim" (but not muslim according to Pakistanis) physics Nobel Laureate - the Government of Pakistan erased this distinction from his tomb.. (He was buried in Pakistan, according to his wishes but people were scared to even attend his funeral - big scandal as who will say prayers etc..).

Well there is a new documentary on Netflix:
""Salam - The First ****** Nobel Laureate"
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

A good explanation of recent fusion breakthrough .. about 1 minute video
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

A good explanation of recent fusion breakthrough .. about 1 minute video
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Recommending a nice article by Prof Frank Wilczek - celebrating 10 years of the Higgs particle: a fishy story of where the concepts came from, the super-duper-superconductivity of "empty" space, and remaining mysteries, all in ~ 600 words.
A Particle That May Fill ‘Empty’ Space
Discovered 10 years ago, the Higgs particle promises to unlock secrets of how the universe works
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

With deep sadness I share this news of the passing of another one of my guru's in Physics.

(Below is From IIT alum group)

Prof. Chandra Lal Mehta was a renowned physicist who drove fundamental research advances in quantum optics and theoretical physics in general. He touched and inspired countless students and colleagues through his long career, as a former chair of the Physics department at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, a professor of Physics at the University of Rochester, and a visiting professor at several institutions in North America, India and Europe.

He was a student of Prof. DS Kothari and Prof. Emil Wolf. His work in Quantum Optics 1960's (in a group with likes of E. C. George Sudarshan & E. Wolf )was path breaking. In India, he was was associated with many institutes.

Om Shanti.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Any relations to Madan Lal Mehta, the Random Matrix authority? You linked his MIT Random Matrix Theory Lectures in Math dhaga long back.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 09 Jan 2023 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ They were brothers - renowned theoretical physicists. (Both were associated with University of Delhi, TIFR, Princeton U - and a few other universities)
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

I guessed.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/bl ... checklist/
The Alternative-Science Respectability Checklist
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Another great moment of pride for IIT Kanpur.!
A fellow Physics alum Prof. Deepak Dhar (1973 Physics) has been awarded prestigious Padma Bhushan award 2023 in the field of Science and Engineering.

IIT Kanpur had felicitated him with the Distinguished Alumnus Award in Nov 2022. He is a theoretical physicist and a distinguished professor in the Physics department of the Indian Institute of Science Education & Research, Pune.
My warmest congratulations. Wishing him all the success in his future endeavors.Image