Nature Conservation in India News & Discussion

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Pranay
BRFite

Re: Nature Conservation in India News & Discussion

Post by Pranay »

http://asiatic-lion.blogspot.com/

:D
The Gujarat government's argument that there is no need to move the Asiatic lions from the state's Gir territory prompted the Supreme Court to observe on Tuesday that the big cats are not the "property" of the state, but belong to the country.

"No state can claim the right over an animal merely because the animal is housed in a particular state. It does not become the property of that state, it belongs to the country," a Forest Bench of Justices K S Radhakrishnan and C K Prasad shot back at the state government.

Gujarat is making a spirited case of its distinction as the only state in the country to have Asiatic lions, and is objecting to a plan to re-locate some of the Asiatic lion population to Madhya Pradesh.

The opposition from the state comes despite the National Board for Wildlife also voting against the Gujarat government's reluctance to shift the lions.

Justice Radhakrishnan told senior advocate Shyam Divan, appearing for the Gujarat government, that the most important question before the court is to preserve a "critically endangered species" and not witness a litigation fought tooth-and-nail about whose lions they are.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

I hope common sense prevails and 2nd home is found for these Lions.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

nice programme on nat geo on rehabilitation of cloud leopard orphans in kaziranga - and not a gora in sight, good work SDRE conservationists!
Arav
BRFite

Post by Arav »

Camera trapping used for first time in tiger census

Camera trapping method has been used for the first time in the ongoing tiger census in the Namdapha National Park in Changlang district of Arunachal Pradesh.

“This is the first time the camera trapping method has been used for tiger estimation in Namdapha. All past tiger census were carried out using pug mark and other methods,” park director S. J. Jongsam told The Hindu.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Conflagration in Nagarahole National Park
The sources said the fire was deliberately stoked by some miscreants to prevent the survey of swamp in connection with determination of forest rights.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Frequent fires destroy forest land in Nilgiris
Most of the fire incidents are man-made. It is festival season in a temple located in the Sigur range. People from various parts of the hill district visit it. Some miscreants set fire to the dry bushes in the forests," said S Ramasubramanian, District Forest Officer (North Division).
On February 22, MTR officials arrested two tribal men in connection with a wild fire on February 13. The fire destroyed at least 15 acres of dense forest land in the MTR. One of the spy cameras installed inside the MTR jungles helped the forest officials to nab the culprits.
Forester suspects foul play
According to the PCCF, tribals are involved. "Our investigations suggest that some tribals are involved and we'll book cases against them. They were opposing relocation out of the tiger reserve," Singh told TOI. The fire mishap occurred at Bommadahalli, where the tribals are opposing the creation of elephant-proof trenches.
It looks like despite Utopian ideas put out, in certain critical Tiger habitats, Humans and wildlife do not mix. There has to be a long term solution planned looking at the livelyhoods of some of the Tribal families, at the same time keeping troublemaker leftie's out.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 140187.cms
A senior forest department officer and four guards were attacked by a mob of 50 villagers in Alwar's Sariska sanctuary late on Saturday night when the officer tried to stop them from cutting trees.

Assistant conservator of forest Udairam and four guards sustained injuries. The condition of two guards is stated to be serious. The forest department has registered an FIR against the attackers though no arrests have been made yet.

According to the police, the incident took place at Indo Kafarmi village in the sanctuary around 10.30pm. "Udairam got a tip-off that some people were cutting trees, which is prohibited in the area. A team led by the officer rushed to the spot. They intercepted a truck laden with wood, but the culprits ran away," said a police officer. Udairam and his team went to the village to probe the matter. "A mob of about 50 villagers surrounded the team and attacked them with sticks," said the officer.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Imagine a tiger living on the outskirts of Lucknow, only due to resilience do Tigers and Leopards still exist in India.

Rahmankhera stray tiger shouldn’t be killed, says NTCA
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

interesting doc on nat geo - about man eating lions. there was an 'outbreak' of man eater attacks in the selou reserve in tanzania. looked like an entire pride of lions had switched to regular hunting of humans - with quite a large number of attacks. after a lot of investigation, it was found that the lions followed the bush pigs into human habitation areas - mostly crop raiders. once there, the lions discovered that the humans were easier to catch than the pigs, so started to switch. now in many human settlements, people chase the pigs off - so the lions don't come in. however in this area, all the people were muslim and didn't want to have anything to do with the pigs, and so their numbers soared, and they increased crop raiding - bringing in more lions behind them...

amazing cause and effect!
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/good-new ... 07919.html

Amazing dedication and work... :D
Jadav Payeng, known as "Mulai" to his friends and neighbours, has spent the last 30 years single-handedly planting and caring for a huge 550-hectare forest on a sandbar in the middle of the Brahmaputra River in Assam, India.
In 1980, Assam's Jorhat district's social forestry division launched a tree-planting initiative on 200 hectares of the land. After five years, the project was completed and the labourers left — except for Payeng. He stayed behind, living alone on the sandbar.
"Mulai was one of the labourers who worked in our project which was completed after five years. He chose to stay back after the completion of the project as others left,"
assistant conservator of forest Gunin Saikia tells The Asian Age.
Payeng chose a life of isolation on the sandbar where he cared for the trees and continued to plant thousands more of them.
First, he transformed the sandbar into a bamboo thicket.
"I then decided to grow proper trees. I collected and planted them. I also transported red ants from my village, and was stung many times. Red ants change the soil's properties. That was an experience," Payeng tells the Times of India.
He still lives in the forest's vicinity, in a hut with his wife and three children. He earns money by selling cow and buffalo milk.
The forest, home to thousands of varieties of trees, is now known as "Mulai Kathoni," or "Mulai's forest." Payeng's dedication to the land didn't just cultivate thriving plants, it provided a home for wildlife, including endangered animals.
"There are about four tigers, three rhinos and more than a hundred deer, rabbits and apes. There are innumerable varieties of birds who call this place home, as well. A herd of about 100 elephants is known to visit the place every year for six months," Oddity Central reports.
Forestry officials were only made aware of the huge forest in 2008.
"We were surprised to find such a dense forest on the sandbar. Locals, whose homes had been destroyed by the pachyderms, wanted to cut down the forest, but Payeng dared them to kill him instead. He treats the trees and animals like his own children. Seeing this, we, too, decided to pitch in," Assistant Conservator of Forests, Gunin Saikia tells the Times of India. "We're amazed at Payeng. He has been at it for 30 years. Had he been in any other country, he would have been made a hero."
There is now talk of Mulai's forest being declared a wildlife sanctuary. If the government proves itself capable of caring for the land, Payeng will start planting elsewhere.
"If the Forest Department promises me to manage the forest in a better way, I shall go to other places of the state to start a similar venture," Payeng told The Asian Age.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

Gujarat's 'pride' was so far limited to Gir alone, but if the plans work as per design, the big cats' roar will now echo loud and clear in Porbandar's Barda Sanctuary too from this August.

As many as eight Asiatic lions of Gir will make the sanctuary their home by August, 2012 as the state forest department has decided to shift four pairs of lions in the newly-developed gene pool centre in Barda Forest around 160 km away from Gir.

The principal secretary, state environment and forest department, SK Nanda said, "We will be shifting lions from Gir to Barda Sanctuary very soon. It is part of our gene pool programme for making the breed genetically very strong and to develop genetic diversity amongst big cats."

Confirming the developments additional chief conservator of forest, HS Singh said, "We are already having gene pool programme in Rampara vidi near Wankaner of Rajkot district. We have been successful in lion conservation programme, as three cubs have been born at Rampara vidi. Now, we will be shifting four pairs of lions to Barda Sanctuary post-monsoon, by August."

Singh further said that the present hot weather is not conducive for shifting the cats to a new location. "Lions find it extremely difficult to adjust to new environment. Therefore, when weather conditions become more favorable for lions post-monsoon season, we will shift them," he said.

Member of National Board for Wildlife in India, Divyabhanusinh Chavada said he is very happy that the lions have been moved to Barda Wildlife Sanctuary. "This is very good, but what's next? The lions are happily multiplying. Today, they are 411, tomorrow they'll be 500. Where will they go next? Gujarat government needs to conserve their traditional corridor. The land needs to be immediately acquired and conserved," he said.

The forest department, which has distributed the lion families in different grids, will ensure that those shifted to Barda have different family genes. "It is set process of selecting the animals for gene-pool conservation programme. We will be shifting lions and lionesses having different family genes for the breeding. So the genetic diversity can be maintained. Further, we will be picking lions who barge into human habitat often for shifting to the new place," said Singh.

To feed these lions, a prey base has also been developed in Barda Sanctuary. "There has been a breeding centre for Sambar deer (Rusa Unicolor) at Killeshwar temple in Barda Sanctuary. This place was the forest reserve of erstwhile king Jamsaheb of Jamnagar."
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Damn you Bast****, I hope the whole gang is fried.

Tiger and python skins seized in Erode
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

I wish all old corridors are reforested all over india so lions, tigers, elephants and other animals move freely on their own without govt interventions.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

In the core area of Gir NP, find firewalls (!). It is said that these manmade firewalls were built decades ago to isolate and limit forest fire. some visionary king/nawab had cared about forest and divided forest in small blocks. these blocks were then bordered with loose stone and pebble walls two to three feet high.

Despite this, forest fire happens every summer. Forest Departments all over arid and semi arid areas burn dry grass (controlled burning) in forest every year during march and april before onset of hot summer. Though this protects forests from catching fire, regeneration of forest does not happen as small saplings also burn with grass :(
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ that was a really good series. the hidden lives of tigers (and other forest creatures) is incredible. Love the fist fight with the bear!
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

I have watched the Spy in Jungle 3 1 hour part series ariound 4 times on Discovery/animal planet. what photography and what incredible animals.

In the first you should see how the tigress in spite of midday summer when the sleep was pretty determined to get the leopardess, boy do they hate leopards.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Posting in Full

The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono

[quote]

Translation from french by Peter Doyle

In order for the character of a human being to reveal truly exceptional qualities, we must have the good fortune to observe its action over a long period of years. If this action is devoid of all selfishness, if the idea that directs it is one of unqualified generosity, if it is absolutely certain that it has not sought recompense anywhere, and if moreover it has left visible marks on the world, then we are unquestionably dealing with an unforgettable character.

Here Goes the Story

About forty years ago I went on a long hike, through hills absolutely unknown to tourists, in that very old region where the Alps penetrate into Provence. This region is bounded to the south-east and south by the middle course of the Durance, between Sisteron and Mirabeau; to the north by the upper course of the Drôme, from its source down to Die; to the west by the plains of Comtat Venaissin and the outskirts of Mont Ventoux. It includes all the northern part of the Département of Basses-Alpes, the south of Drôme and a little enclave of Vaucluse.

At the time I undertook my long walk through this deserted region, it consisted of barren and monotonous lands, at about 1200 to 1300 meters above sea level. Nothing grew there except wild lavender. I was crossing this country at its widest part, and after walking for three days, I found myself in the most complete desolation. I was camped next to the skeleton of an abandoned village. I had used the last of my water the day before and I needed to find more. Even though they were in ruins, these houses all huddled together and looking like an old wasps' nest made me think that there must at one time have been a spring or a well there. There was indeed a spring, but it was dry. The five or six roofless houses, ravaged by sun and wind, and the small chapel with its tumble-down belfry, were arrayed like the houses and chapels of living villages, but all life had disappeared.

It was a beautiful June day with plenty of sun, but on these shelterless lands, high up in the sky, the wind whistled with an unendurable brutality. Its growling in the carcasses of the houses was like that of a wild beast disturbed during its meal. I had to move my camp. After five hours of walking, I still hadn't found water, and nothing gave me hope of finding any. Everywhere there was the same dryness, the same stiff, woody plants. I thought I saw in the distance a small black silhouette. On a chance I headed towards it. It was a shepherd. Thirty lambs or so were resting near him on the scorching ground.

He gave me a drink from his gourd and a little later he led me to his shepherd's cottage, tucked down in an undulation of the plateau. He drew his water - excellent - from a natural hole, very deep, above which he had installed a rudimentary windlass.

This man spoke little. This is common among those who live alone, but he seemed sure of himself, and confident in this assurance, which seemed remarkable in this land shorn of everything. He lived not in a cabin but in a real house of stone, from the looks of which it was clear that his own labor had restored the ruins he had found on his arrival. His roof was solid and water-tight. The wind struck against the roof tiles with the sound of the sea crashing on the beach.

His household was in order, his dishes washed, his floor swept, his rifle greased; his soup boiled over the fire; I noticed then that he was also freshly shaven, that all his buttons were solidly sewn, and that his clothes were mended with such care as to make the patches invisible.

He shared his soup with me, and when afterwards I offered him my tobacco pouch, he told me that he didn't smoke. His dog, as silent as he, was friendly without being fawning.

It had been agreed immediately that I would pass the night there, the closest village being still more than a day and a half farther on. Furthermore, I understood perfectly well the character of the rare villages of that region. There are four or five of them dispersed far from one another on the flanks of the hills, in groves of white oaks at the very ends of roads passable by carriage. They are inhabited by woodcutters who make charcoal. They are places where the living is poor. The families, pressed together in close quarters by a climate that is exceedingly harsh, in summer as well as in winter, struggle ever more selfishly against each other. Irrational contention grows beyond all bounds, fueled by a continuous struggle to escape from that place. The men carry their charcoal to the cities in their trucks, and then return. The most solid qualities crack under this perpetual Scottish shower. The women stir up bitterness. There is competition over everything, from the sale of charcoal to the benches at church. The virtues fight amongst themselves, the vices fight amongst themselves, and there is a ceaseless general combat between the vices and the virtues. On top of all that, the equally ceaseless wind irritates the nerves. There are epidemics of suicides and numerous cases of insanity, almost always murderous.

The shepherd, who did not smoke, took out a bag and poured a pile of acorns out onto the table. He began to examine them one after another with a great deal of attention, separating the good ones from the bad. I smoked my pipe. I offered to help him, but he told me it was his own business. Indeed, seeing the care that he devoted to this job, I did not insist. This was our whole conversation. When he had in the good pile a fair number of acorns, he counted them out into packets of ten. In doing this he eliminated some more of the acorns, discarding the smaller ones and those that that showed even the slightest crack, for he examined them very closely. When he had before him one hundred perfect acorns he stopped, and we went to bed.

The company of this man brought me a feeling of peace. I asked him the next morning if I might stay and rest the whole day with him. He found that perfectly natural. Or more exactly, he gave me the impression that nothing could disturb him. This rest was not absolutely necessary to me, but I was intrigued and I wanted to find out more about this man. He let out his flock and took them to the pasture. Before leaving, he soaked in a bucket of water the little sack containing the acorns that he had so carefully chosen and counted.

I noted that he carried as a sort of walking stick an iron rod as thick as his thumb and about one and a half meters long. I set off like someone out for a stroll, following a route parallel to his. His sheep pasture lay at the bottom of a small valley. He left his flock in the charge of his dog and climbed up towards the spot where I was standing. I was afraid that he was coming to reproach me for my indiscretion, but not at all : It was his own route and he invited me to come along with him if I had nothing better to do. He continued on another two hundred meters up the hill.

Having arrived at the place he had been heading for, he begin to pound his iron rod into the ground. This made a hole in which he placed an acorn, whereupon he covered over the hole again. He was planting oak trees. I asked him if the land belonged to him. He answered no. Did he know whose land it was? He did not know. He supposed that it was communal land, or perhaps it belonged to someone who did not care about it. He himself did not care to know who the owners were. In this way he planted his one hundred acorns with great care.

After the noon meal, he began once more to pick over his acorns. I must have put enough insistence into my questions, because he answered them. For three years now he had been planting trees in this solitary way. He had planted one hundred thousand. Of these one hundred thousand, twenty thousand had come up. He counted on losing another half of them to rodents and to everything else that is unpredictable in the designs of Providence. That left ten thousand oaks that would grow in this place where before there was nothing.

It was at this moment that I began to wonder about his age. He was clearly more than fifty. Fifty-five, he told me. His name was Elzéard Bouffier. He had owned a farm in the plains, where he lived most of his life. He had lost his only son, and then his wife. He had retired into this solitude, where he took pleasure in living slowly, with his flock of sheep and his dog. He had concluded that this country was dying for lack of trees. He added that, having nothing more important to do, he had resolved to remedy the situation.

Leading as I did at the time a solitary life, despite my youth, I knew how to treat the souls of solitary people with delicacy. Still, I made a mistake. It was precisely my youth that forced me to imagine the future in my own terms, including a certain search for happiness. I told him that in thirty years these ten thousand trees would be magnificent. He replied very simply that, if God gave him life, in thirty years he would have planted so many other trees that these ten thousand would be like a drop of water in the ocean.

He had also begun to study the propagation of beeches. and he had near his house a nursery filled with seedlings grown from beechnuts. His little wards, which he had protected from his sheep by a screen fence, were growing beautifully. He was also considering birches for the valley bottoms where, he told me, moisture lay slumbering just a few meters beneath the surface of the soil.

We parted the next day.

The next year the war of 14 came, in which I was engaged for five years. An infantryman could hardly think about trees. To tell the truth, the whole business hadn't made a very deep impression on me; I took it to be a hobby, like a stamp collection, and forgot about it.

With the war behind me, I found myself with a small demobilization bonus and a great desire to breathe a little pure air. Without any preconceived notion beyond that, I struck out again along the trail through that deserted country.

The land had not changed. Nonetheless, beyond that dead village I perceived in the distance a sort of gray fog that covered the hills like a carpet. Ever since the day before I had been thinking about the shepherd who planted trees. « Ten thousand oaks, I had said to myself, must really take up a lot of space. »

I had seen too many people die during those five years not to be able to imagine easily the death of Elzéard Bouffier, especially since when a man is twenty he thinks of a man of fifty as an old codger for whom nothing remains but to die. He was not dead. In fact, he was very spry. He had changed his job. He only had four sheep now, but to make up for this he had about a hundred beehives. He had gotten rid of the sheep because they threatened his crop of trees. He told me (as indeed I could see for myself) that the war had not disturbed him at all. He had continued imperturbably with his planting.

The oaks of 1910 were now ten years old and were taller than me and than him. The spectacle was impressive. I was literally speechless and, as he didn't speak himself, we passed the whole day in silence, walking through his forest. It was in three sections, eleven kilometers long overall and, at its widest point, three kilometers wide. When I considered that this had all sprung from the hands and from the soul of this one man - without technical aids - , it struck me that men could be as effective as God in domains other than destruction.

He had followed his idea, and the beeches that reached up to my shoulders and extending as far as the eye could see bore witness to it. The oaks were now good and thick, and had passed the age where they were at the mercy of rodents; as for the designs of Providence, to destroy the work that had been created would henceforth require a cyclone. He showed me admirable stands of birches that dated from five years ago, that is to say from 1915, when I had been fighting at Verdun. He had planted them in the valley bottoms where he had suspected, correctly, that there was water close to the surface. They were as tender as young girls, and very determined.

This creation had the air, moreover, of working by a chain reaction. He had not troubled about it; he went on obstinately with his simple task. But, in going back down to the village, I saw water running in streams that, within living memory, had always been dry. It was the most striking revival that he had shown me. These streams had borne water before, in ancient days. Certain of the sad villages that I spoke of at the beginning of my account had been built on the sites of ancient Gallo-Roman villages, of which there still remained traces; archeologists digging there had found fishhooks in places where in more recent times cisterns were required in order to have a little water.

The wind had also been at work, dispersing certain seeds. As the water reappeared, so too did willows, osiers, meadows, gardens, flowers, and a certain reason to live.

But the transformation had taken place so slowly that it had been taken for granted, without provoking surprise. The hunters who climbed the hills in search of hares or wild boars had noticed the spreading of the little trees, but they set it down to the natural spitefulness of the earth. That is why no one had touched the work of this man. If they had suspected him, they would have tried to thwart him. But he never came under suspicion : Who among the villagers or the administrators would ever have suspected that anyone could show such obstinacy in carrying out this magnificent act of generosity?

Beginning in 1920 I never let more than a year go by without paying a visit to Elzéard Bouffier. I never saw him waver or doubt, though God alone can tell when God's own hand is in a thing! I have said nothing of his disappointments, but you can easily imagine that, for such an accomplishment, it was necessary to conquer adversity; that, to assure the victory of such a passion, it was necessary to fight against despair. One year he had planted ten thousand maples. They all died. The next year,he gave up on maples and went back to beeches, which did even better than the oaks.

To get a true idea of this exceptional character, one must not forget that he worked in total solitude; so total that, toward the end of his life, he lost the habit of talking. Or maybe he just didn't see the need for it.

In 1933 he received the visit of an astonished forest ranger. This functionary ordered him to cease building fires outdoors, for fear of endangering this natural forest. It was the first time, this naive man told him, that a forest had been observed to grow up entirely on its own. At the time of this incident, he was thinking of planting beeches at a spot twelve kilometers from his house. To avoid the coming and going - because at the time he was seventy-five years old - he planned to build a cabin of stone out where he was doing his planting. This he did the next year.

In 1935, a veritable administrative delegation went to examine this. There was an important personage from Waters and Forests, a deputy, and some technicians. Many useless words were spoken. It was decided to do something, but luckily nothing was done, except for one truly useful thing : placing the forest under the protection of the State and forbidding anyone from coming there to make charcoal. For it was impossible not to be taken with the beauty of these young trees in full health. And the forest exercised its seductive powers even on the deputy himself.

I had a friend among the chief foresters who were with the delegation. I explained the mystery to him. One day the next week, we went off together to look for Elzéard Bouffier, We found him hard at work, twenty kilometers away from the place where the inspection had taken place.

This chief forester was not my friend for nothing. He understood the value of things. He knew how to remain silent. I offered up some eggs I had brought with me as a gift. We split our snack three ways, and then passed several hours in mute contemplation of the landscape.

The hillside whence we had come was covered with trees six or seven meters high. I remembered the look of the place in 1913 : a desert... The peaceful and steady labor, the vibrant highland air, his frugality, and above all, the serenity of his soul had given the old man a kind of solemn good health. He was an athlete of God. I asked myself how many hectares he had yet to cover with trees.

Before leaving, my friend made a simple suggestion concerning certain species of trees to which the terrain seemed to be particularly well suited. He was not insistent. « For the very good reason, » he told me afterwards, « that this fellow knows a lot more about this sort of thing than I do. » After another hour of walking, this thought having travelled along with him, he added : « He knows a lot more about this sort of thing than anybody - and he has found a jolly good way of being happy ! »

It was thanks to the efforts of this chief forester that the forest was protected, and with it, the happiness of this man. He designated three forest rangers for their protection, and terrorized them to such an extent that they remained indifferent to any jugs of wine that the woodcutters might offer as bribes.

The forest did not run any grave risks except during the war of 1939. Then automobiles were being run on wood alcohol, and there was never enough wood. They began to cut some of the stands of the oaks of 1910, but the trees stood so far from any useful road that the enterprise turned out to be bad from a financial point of view, and was soon abandoned. The shepherd never knew anything about it. He was thirty kilometers away, peacefully continuing his task, as untroubled by the war of 39 as he had been of the war of 14.

I saw Elzéard Bouffier for the last time in June of 1945. He was then eighty-seven years old. I had once more set off along my trail through the wilderness, only to find that now, in spite of the shambles in which the war had left the whole country, there was a motor coach running between the valley of the Durance and the mountain. I set down to this relatively rapid means of transportation the fact that I no longer recognized the landmarks I knew from my earlier visits. It also seemed that the route was taking me through entirely new places. I had to ask the name of a village to be sure that I was indeed passing through that same region, once so ruined and desolate. The coach set me down at Vergons. In 1913, this hamlet of ten or twelve houses had had three inhabitants. They were savages, hating each other, and earning their living by trapping : Physically and morally, they resembled prehistoric men . The nettles devoured the abandoned houses that surrounded them. Their lives were without hope, it was only a matter of waiting for death to come : a situation that hardly predisposes one to virtue.

All that had changed, even to the air itself. In place of the dry, brutal gusts that had greeted me long ago, a gentle breeze whispered to me, bearing sweet odors. A sound like that of running water came from the heights above : It was the sound of the wind in the trees. And most astonishing of all, I heard the sound of real water running into a pool. I saw that they had built a fountain, that it was full of water, and what touched me most, that next to it they had planted a lime-tree that must be at least four years old, already grown thick, an incontestable symbol of resurrection.

Furthermore, Vergons showed the signs of labors for which hope is a requirement : Hope must therefore have returned. They had cleared out the ruins, knocked down the broken walls, and rebuilt five houses. The hamlet now counted twenty-eight inhabitants, including four young families. The new houses, freshly plastered, were surrounded by gardens that bore, mixed in with each other but still carefully laid out, vegetables and flowers, cabbages and rosebushes, leeks and gueules-de-loup, celery and anemones. It was now a place where anyone would be glad to live.

From there I continued on foot. The war from which we had just barely emerged had not permitted life to vanish completely, and now Lazarus was out of his tomb. On the lower flanks of the mountain, I saw small fields of barley and rye; in the bottoms of the narrow valleys, meadowlands were just turning green.

It has taken only the eight years that now separate us from that time for the whole country around there to blossom with splendor and ease. On the site of the ruins I had seen in 1913 there are now well-kept farms, the sign of a happy and comfortable life. The old springs, fed by rain and snow now that are now retained by the forests, have once again begun to flow. The brooks have been channelled. Beside each farm, amid groves of maples, the pools of fountains are bordered by carpets of fresh mint. Little by little, the villages have been rebuilt. Yuppies have come from the plains, where land is expensive, bringing with them youth, movement, and a spirit of adventure. Walking along the roads you will meet men and women in full health, and boys and girls who know how to laugh, and who have regained the taste for the traditional rustic festivals. Counting both the previous inhabitants of the area, now unrecognizable from living in plenty, and the new arrivals, more than ten thousand persons owe their happiness to Elzéard Bouffier.

When I consider that a single man, relying only on his own simple physical and moral resources, was able to transform a desert into this land of Canaan, I am convinced that despite everything, the human condition is truly admirable. But when I take into account the constancy, the greatness of soul, and the selfless dedication that was needed to bring about this transformation, I am filled with an immense respect for this old, uncultured peasant who knew how to bring about a work worthy of God.

Elzéard Bouffier died peacefully in 1947 at the hospice in Banon. /quote]

http://home.infomaniak.ch/~arboretum/man_tree.htm
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Bull injures male Tiger which came for easy prey to a cattleshed.

Braveheart bovine injures tiger in abdomen during fight
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Aditya_v

I read a story about (forgot in which book) a boar charging at tiger in the middle. Leaving the tiger seriously wounded. A day after tiger died.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Murugan wrote:Aditya_v

I read a story about (forgot in which book) a boar charging at tiger in the middle. Leaving the tiger seriously wounded. A day after tiger died.
THat happens, especially with Wild pigs aka boars, Gaur, Wild buffalo, Wild Elephant etc.. but rarely with domestic animals, who are generally too slow moving and easily killed. In the above case, Post mortem reavealed that the Tiger was badly injured by a Porcupine before it moved to the cattleshed to try its luck.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

I did not know elephants are there in Javadu hills, but apprently they are there.

Elephant herd stay put in hills in Salem
The districts of Villupuram, Dharmapuri and Salem have met in Kalvarayan hills which has 52 hamlets.

On Monday, two elephant calves, three sub-adult and three adult elephants entered into Karumandurai from Villupuram, according to the district forest officer (Attur division) V. Naganathan. He said the elephants for the first time came Karumandurai region which has wild boars, bovinae, wild monkeys.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING HUMAN BEING.

Way back in 1953, French author Jean Giono wrote the epic tale The Man Who Planted Trees. It seemed so real that readers thought the central character, Elzeard Bouffier , was a living individual until the author clarified he had created the person only to make his readers fall in love with trees. Assam's Jadav Payeng has never heard of Giono's book. But he could be Bouffier. He has single-handedly grown a sprawling forest on a 550-hectare sandbar in the middle of the Brahmaputra. It now has many endangered animals, including at least five tigers, one of which bore two cubs recently.

The place lies in Jorhat, some 350 km from Guwahati by road, and it wasn't easy for Sunday Times to access him. At one point on the stretch, a smaller road has to be taken for some 30 km to reach the riverbank. There, if one is lucky, boatmen will ferry you across to the north bank. A trek of another 7 km will then land you near Payeng's door. Locals call the place 'Molai Kathoni' (Molai's woods) after Payeng's pet name, Molai.
It all started way back in 1979 when floods washed a large number of snakes ashore on the sandbar. One day, after the waters had receded, Payeng , only 16 then, found the place dotted with the dead reptiles. That was the turning point of his life.

"The snakes died in the heat, without any tree cover. I sat down and wept over their lifeless forms. It was carnage . I alerted the forest department and asked them if they could grow trees there. They said nothing would grow there. Instead, they asked me to try growing bamboo. It was painful, but I did it. There was nobody to help me. Nobody was interested," says Payeng, now 47.

Leaving his education and home, he started living on the sandbar. Unlike Robinson Crusoe, Payeng willingly accepted a life of isolation. And no, he had no Man Friday. He watered the plants morning and evening and pruned them. After a few years, the sandbar was transformed into a bamboo thicket. "I then decided to grow proper trees. I collected and planted them. I also transported red ants from my village, and was stung many times. Red ants change the soil's properties . That was an experience," Payeng says, laughing.

Soon, there were a variety of flora and fauna which burst in the sandbar, including endangered animals like the one-horned rhino and Royal Bengal tiger. "After 12 years, we've seen vultures. Migratory birds, too, have started flocking here. Deer and cattle have attracted predators," claims Payeng . He says locals recently killed a rhino which was seen in his forest at another forest in Sibsagar district.

Payeng talks like a trained conservationist. "Nature has made a food chain; why can't we stick to it? Who would protect these animals if we, as superior beings, start hunting them?"

The Assam state forest department learnt about Payeng's forest only in 2008 when a herd of some 100 wild elephants strayed into it after a marauding spree in villages nearby. They also destroyed Payeng's hutment . It was then that assistant conservator of forests Gunin Saikia met Payeng for the first time.

"We were surprised to find such a dense forest on the sandbar. Locals, whose homes had been destroyed by the pachyderms, wanted to cut down the forest, but Payeng dared them to kill him instead. He treats the trees and animals like his own children. Seeing this, we, too, decided to pitch in," says Saikia. "We're amazed at Payeng. He has been at it for 30 years. Had he been in any other country, he would have been made a hero."

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes ... s-red-ants

http://www.naturalnews.com/035809_refor ... trees.html
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://asiatic-lion.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... me-in.html

Hope everyone has a pleasant vacation... while matters of importance go around in circles in a holding pattern. :(
Asiatic lion may roar at new home in Kuno-Palpur sanctuary
Daily Bhaskar
http://daily.bhaskar.com/article/GUJ-AH ... 36580.html

The Supreme Court on Tuesday gave the conservation of native wild cat Asiatic Lions a priority over the imported exotic feline African cheetah.

A day after the ministry of environment and forests (MoEF) proposed that it intended to go ahead with the cheetah project in the Kuno-Palpur Sancutary in Madhya Pradesh, which has been prepared for the translocation of Gir lions, SC restrained the Centre from going ahead with the Rs300 crore Cheetah Reintroduction Programme. Put in context, this greatly increases the probability of shifting a few of the Asiatic Lions to Kuno-Palpur Sanctuary in the coming months.

The issue of relocating Cheetah from Namibia was raised during the hearing of the matter on relocation of Asiatic Lions from Gir Sanctuary to Kuno Sanctuary in MP. MoEF informed the forest bench comprising justices KS Radhakrishan and CK Prasad on Monday that it intended to go ahead with African cheetah re-introduction from Namibia within the next two months. Kuno was prepared to accommodate a pride of lions a few years back, but when Gujarat refused to part with any lions, MoEF decided to reintroduce African cheetah there last year.

Senior advocate PS Narasimha, the amicus curiae in the lion relocation case, filed an application seeking a stay on the implementation of cheetah project. The court granted the stay and the matter has been scheduled for further hearing in July after the court returns from vacation.

Narasimha said the proposal for reintroduction of Cheetah "has not been either placed before the Standing Committee of the National Board for Wildlife, nor has there been a considered decision taken in this regard". He stated in an application that "scientific studies show that the African Cheetahs and Asian Cheetahs are completely different, both genetically and also in their characteristics" and the reintroduction of Cheetah was also against the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) guidelines on translocation of wildlife species.

"In fact, the (IUCN) guidelines categorically warn against the introduction of alien or exotic species. The African Cheetah obviously never existed in India. Therefore, it is not case of intentional movement of an organism into a part of its native range," the application stated.

{At this rate an argument can be made that the Ranthambore tiger never existed in Sariska. Why relocate them then?? The Grey Wolf was exterminated from the Yellowstone National Park ecosystem. I cannot recall anyone making the ridiculous argument of why Canadian wolves were used to repopulate the wolf in Yellowstone. I can understand the argument if someone wants to cut down the native Sal forests to grow a plantation of lets say the Norway Spruce tree. In this case, the Cheetah did exist in India in our lifetimes. The MOEF is trying to reintroduce from available populations. The Iranian population of the Asian Cheetah is not available for relocation due to their precarious numbers. There is no residual population of the Asiatic Cheetah left in India that an introduction of African Cheetahs will genetically pollute!! :roll: }

Asiatic Cheetah became extinct in the country in the 1950's. In July 2010, the environment ministry had cleared the proposal to reintroduce African Cheetah to India. The Centre had recently sanctioned first tranche of Rs 1.9 crore to Madhya Pradesh for preparation of the habitat for the animal at Kuno Palpur sanctuary in Sheopur district. Narasimha pointed out that Prerna Bindra, a member of the standing committee of the National Board for Wildlife has 'categorically opposed the Cheetah project, on rational and logical consideration'.

"She has pointed out that Rs 300 crore have been allocated for the Cheetah project and the cost of each Cheetah is going to be Rs 2 crore whereas the total budget for Project Tiger is a mere Rs 80 crore for 600 national parks and sanctuaries," it said.

He added that the director general forests/special secretary, MoEF PJ Dilip Kumar had a given 'strong note' against introduction of African Cheetah into India but it was ignored and not even mentioned in any of the proceedings dealing with this project.

It said that the introduction of alien or exotic species is universally shunned by wildlife experts and "in fact countries such as South Africa, Australia are spending huge amount of funds to eradicate and remove exotic wildlife species from wilderness areas or wild habitats".

Narasimha also sought a direction the MoEF to produce before the apex court all relevant records and decisions relating to introduction of cheetah. He said the Indian Cheetah in genetic composition is a different animal than the African Cheetah and a different sub species altogether and "therefore one cannot be introduced in place of the other".
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/channels ... killed-124

:x Such ruffians should be made an example of!! :x
An Assistant Conservator of Forests (ACF) who was allegedly beaten up by revellers on May 6 at Crocodile Valley resort in the Dandeli-Anshi tiger reserve, when he tried to stop them from feeding the crocodiles, succumbed to the injuries at a hospital on Wednesday. Four people, including an assistant executive engineer of an electric supply company, have been arrested.

On Wednesday evening, forest minister C.P. Yogeshwar said a CID probe has been recommended to investigate the death of ACF Madan Nayak. Around 20 revellers from Bagalkot, which included government officials and a police officer, who were having a cocktail party at the resort on the evening of May 6, were feeding crocodiles when ACF Madan Nayak, who was also at the Dandelappa temple nearby with his family, spotted them. He objected to the crocodiles being fed by the revellers, and allegedly had his head bashed in. He was later admitted to SDM Hospital in Dharwad where he died on Wednesday. Surprisingly, the attackers had even filed a case against the officer under the Prevention of Atrocities Act.

News of his death sparked off a road-blockade in Dandeli town by forest staff and a cottage belonging to the owner of the farmhouse where the party was held, was torched. The ACF’s wife Sumathi Nayak lodged a complaint against six people with Dandeli Rural police including police sub-inspector S.R. Nayak of Thikota police station, Bagalkot. She also named Shailaja Nayak, a teacher in Bhagavati high school of Bagalkot district and her mother, Danabai Nayak in her complaint. The two women are absconding, police said.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 157897.cms
CHANDIGARH: The continuing misuse of diclofenac for treating ailing cattle has ensured that the threat to three of India's critically-endangered vulture species remains alive and kicking. Even though the Central government has banned veterinary formulations of this cheap anti-inflammatory drug, unscrupulous veterinarians and cattle herders misuse diclofenac formulations manufactured for human application.

The good news is that even partial implementation of the ban has slowed down rates of decline of white-backed vultures.

This was established in a study anchored by Dr Vibhu Prakash and nine international experts. Dr Prakash leads the BNHS programme for captive breeding of vultures at centres in Pinjore, Assam and West Bengal.
For the study, titled "Effectiveness of Action in India to Reduce Exposure of Gyps Vultures to the Toxic Veterinary Drug Diclofenac," samples from dead cattle were collected from carcass dumps and slaughter houses before and after the diclofenac ban.

The study established that "just after implementation of the ban (in 2005), the proportion of samples with diclofenac were broadly similar. However, prevalence and concentration were both substantially lower in the third survey (in 2008)."

In 7-31 months after the first implementation of the ban, the prevalence and concentration of diclofenac in carcasses of domesticated ungulates available as food for vultures had decreased by about a half.

As a consequence, "the expected rate of decline of white-backed vultures has been reduced by more than half.'' The study stated that white-backed vultures declined annually by 44% between 2000 and 2007 but after the ban, the new estimated annual decline rate was down to 18% per year. However, even a decline rate of 18% annually is too high to sustain a viable population of vultures in the long run, it said.

Vultures can be virtually eliminated from the countryside even if a small percentage of cattle carcasses have deposits of diclofenac. The study calls for complete elimination of diclofenac as it would be pointless to release vultures bred in captivity into a contaminated environment. Diclofenac has to be replaced by other non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDs) such as ketoprofen. At present, the only veterinary NSAID used in India and known to have low toxicity to vultures is meloxicam, the study said.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://flonnet.com/stories/20120601291006200.htm

The lion-tailed macaque in the Nelliampathy forest in Kerala's Palakkad district...
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/40-la ... eststories
The Maharashtra government believes that 25 tigers are likely to be targeted by poachers from neighbouring Madhya Pradesh.

The Forest Department in Maharashtra says that an advance of 40 lakhs has been paid to the poachers. It's not clear yet who has commissioned the deaths.

Maharashtra has 169 tigers; most of them inhabit three tiger reserves in the Vidarbha region.

"My people will move about in the forests and monitor watering holes and routes leading to those, as they are the most vulnerable", said A K Nigam, Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forest, Western Maharashtra. Mr Nigam also told NDTV Range Forest Officers (RFOs) will meet villagers to get information and publicise awards for clues that could help locate the poachers.

All leave sanctioned for forest guards has been cancelled to ensure there is maximum protection for the tigers.

The alert was issued after a tiger was found dead last month in a poacher's trap in the Tadoba Tiger Reserve at Chandrapur, a 1.5 hour drive from Nagpur.

At the First Stocktaking Meeting of Global Tiger Recovery Programs in Delhi on Tuesday, Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan said that in the last four months, 30 tigers have been killed in India.

Less than a fortnight ago, the Centre had also issued an alert to several states about 'wandering gangs of poachers' who frequent national parks to kill tigers. The Centre has asked states to immediately launch special drives to tackle this threat, including increasing vigil near watering holes, and keeping a close track of tigers who may have wandered outside buffer areas.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

NTPC and AP govt are leading massive afforestation drive across the state

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 791952.ece

NTPC's claims of reducing average temperature by 2 Dec C in last decade in Ramagundam area

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramagundam
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

X post from Nukkad
Singha wrote:we had gone to mutthati-bheemeswari in kaveri shore yesterday for a picnic . ...

the heat was 39C there ...
Had the forest department there made arrangements of artificial waterholes for animals in this drought hit forest?

In gir area, the FD have constructed many waterholes which they regularly fill up during summer.

These waterholes are hot spots for spotting wild animals, especially during nights.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://asiatic-lion.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... st-in.html
Windmills help quench lions' thirst in Gir
21-05-2012
Times of India By Vijaysinh Parmar
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 320739.cms

Lions will have no quarter to complain this summer because of micro-ecosystems that have come into being in Gir forest of Saurashtra. The water pumping windmills set up by the forest department have brought into existence the micro-ecosystems and are helping to keep many artificial water points filled even in the interior parts of the jungle. The lions should not have any problem in quenching their thirst this summer.

Anshuman Sharma, deputy conservator of forests, Gir east division (Dhari), said 29 windmills have been installed in Dhari division. "All 29 water pumping windmills are operational. We will install a few more in the next few days."

He said, "Earlier, water was being supplied in the forest area in tankers. Employees of forest department used to fill the water points. It was difficult for them if the water points happened to be deep inside the forest. They could not go there regularly. Water pumping windmills have been installed at water points which were located in the interior parts of the forest. They are running well without anyone's help and are being constantly monitored."

Sharma informed there were 144 artificial water points for lions and animals in Dhari division. Windmills have been installed at 29 water points. They have created micro-ecosystems around them. Wild animals like to rest there.

Forest officials said a windmill consists of an 18 blade rotor. It has a diameter of 3 metres and is installed on a 10 metre high tower. The rotor drives the connecting rod and the pump. The windmill can pump water from a maximum depth of 30 metre, at an average wind speed of 8-10 km per hour. The approximate rate of pumping under ideal condition ranges from 1000 to 1200 litres per hour. A windmill could be installed on an open well, bore well, pond etc. at a site which is free of any obstacle.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

21-05-2012
Times of India By Vijaysinh Parmar
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 320739.cms
Great!!! :D

I read about shrub forests in Tada where the people in surrounding villages for centuries send their cows during dry season so the cows can graze in the forests. And the villagers bring them back in rainy season.

Unfortunately these forests are facing drought conditions for past few years.

I always wanted to do something like this there... so much to do :(
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

Leave the lions alone or get thrashed
23-05-2012
Leave the lions alone or get thrashed
Times of India By Himanshu Kaushik
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 403540.cms

Respect the king, or get beaten up. This simple rule is one of the key reasons why the Asiatic lion is prospering in its last home in the world-the Gir sanctuary. In the last one year, there have been half a dozen instances where villagers, living in and around the sanctuary, have thrashed up tourists who harassed the king of the jungle.

On Sunday, four youth from Bhavnagar drove near to a mating lion couple in Liliya, which has 28 lions. Safe in the SUV, they thought they would get away with anything until the villagers rounded them up.

"These youth disturbed a mating pair. Seeing the car, the cats ran away from the area. We saw this and when they came out of the area, we pulled them out of the car," said a resident of a nearby village. The youth were let off with a warning.

The number of lions has risen steadily over the years in Gujarat-from just 13 in 1900s to 178 in 1960 to 411 today. "The bonding between the villagers and the lions is very strong. People here have even sacrificed their cattle for the lions," said Mahendrasinh Khuman, a resident of Kankraj village.

Only in March, a local villager was threatened with social boycott by his own people when his relatives got too close to some lions in a field. The guests wanted better photographs of the cats, but this enraged the villagers. "We prefer visitors maintain a distance of at least 300m from the lions," a villager said. "They should be ready for a thrashing if they get up close and personal."

A tourism campaign coupled with under-prepared forest department is leading to such a situation, say villagers. "The area has just one beat guard and a forester manning 28 lions. These lions moved out of the sanctuary in 2000 and have made this area as their permanent home," said Manoj Joshi, president of the Paryavaran Trust. Sunday's incident was the fifth instance of villagers having to intervene to stop tourists harassing lions.

Some villagers and NGOs have made a representation before the district collector demanding more guards.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-18175513
Maharashtra forest guards 'to shoot poachers on sight'

India's tiger numbers have shrunk from 100,000 to 1,700 in a little over 100 years

Forest guards in India's Maharashtra state have been told to shoot poachers on sight to curb attacks on tigers.

"I have given you weapons - use them against those you find hunting tigers," state forests minister, Patangrao Kadam, said he told the guards.

Other officials confirmed the order, but stressed it was "a last resort".

The Wildlife Protection Society of India says 14 tigers have been killed in India since January, with eight of them poached in Maharashtra alone.
But speaking to the BBC's Zubair Ahmed on Wednesday, Mr Kadam did not apologise for his comments a day earlier - anyone sighted inside a sanctuary would be regarded as unauthorised, he said.

Other officials tried to play down his remarks. One forest department official said the shoot-on-sight orders were meant to be in the last resort after all other attempts to stop hunters from poaching had failed.

"The officers are often fired back because they don't fire at hunters properly. They have been told they can take them down in such cases," the officer said.

Mr Kadam had told reporters on Tuesday that the government would recruit 523 armed guards and deploy them in the state's four forests. Forest guards should not be "booked for human rights violations when they have taken action against poachers", the Associated Press quoted him as saying.

The minister said the state would also deploy more rangers and jeeps in the forest and secret payments would be offered to informers who give tips about poachers and animal smugglers.

Maharashtra's chief wildlife warden, SWH Naqvi, said poachers generally hunted tigers at night and encounters between guards and poachers were rare.

"We hardly ever come face-to-face with poachers," he said, AP reports.

Mr Naqvi said the state's offer to pay informers from a new government fund worth about 5m rupees ($90,000) would be more effective in curbing wildlife crime.

"We get very few tips, so this will really help."
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ext ... more-room/

Extinction Countdown

News and research about endangered species from around the world
Extinction Countdown HomeAboutContact
The Last 400 Asiatic Lions Need More Room to Grow–but Where Will They Go?
By John R. Platt | May 22, 2012 | 1

They are mostly forgotten today, but Asiatic lions (Panthera leo persica) once roamed in vast numbers across the Indian subcontinent, Mediterranean and Middle East until overhunting brought them to within a hair’s breadth of extinction. By 1907, when an Indian prince finally banned hunting and protected the last lions, only 13 members of the subspecies remained. Today, after more than a century of conservation, the population of Asiatic lions stands at a high of around 400 animals, all of which live in and around the Gir National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary in the Indian state of Gujarat, just a few kilometers from the Arabian Sea. The animals are now so identified with their sole remaining habitat that they are usually referred to as Gir or Gujarat lions.

But the success in restoring the Gir lion population has brought new challenges to conservation efforts. The lions have outgrown their protected sanctuary and share their habitat with more than 100,000 people who live in the villages surrounding the forest. The lions occasionally kill livestock, enter people’s homes and, very rarely, attack or kill humans. More often, the lions themselves are killed or injured when they come into contact with crude, deadly electric fences built around farms or fall into any of the tens of thousands of roughly hewn open wells in the region. Earlier this month a female lion fell into a well and suffered broken teeth and other injuries. (For more on these wells, see my article in the November 2011 issue of Lion magazine.)

Because there is very little space for the lions to grow into, many conservationists and the Indian government think the smart thing to do is to transfer some of them elsewhere. Such habitat diversification would serve to protect the Gir lions from a catastrophic disease outbreak, fire or other natural event that could wipe the subspecies out—a threat for any species that only exists at a single location. The most frequently discussed destination for translocated lions is the Indian state of Madya Pradesh (MP), where the recently restored Kuno Wildlife Sanctuary contains ample habitat and prey for any relocated predators.

Unfortunately, the idea of moving lions to Kuno doesn’t sit well in Gujarat. Despite the occasional conflicts between humans and animals, the people of Gujarat are fiercely proud and protective of their lions. Many fear that MP will not adequately protect the cats. They may have reason to worry: MP has an extremely poor record of protecting its tigers, with 453 deaths in the past decade. (India’s Bengal tiger population dropped from 3,700 animals in 2002 to around 1,500 in 2011, mostly due to poaching.) The two state governments have been arguing for a few years and relations hit a low point last week when Madya Pradesh’s tourism department started using images of Gir lions on its Web site, even though there are no lions in the state yet and may not be for years to come.

Some lion advocates worry that MP is not serious about conservation. Kishore Kotecha, founder of the Wildlife Conservation Trust of India, which is dedicated to preserving Asiatic lions, says he used to think that some lions should be moved to MP but now he isn’t sure. “Do they really want it for conservation purposes or do they want it for tourism?” he asks. MP, for its part, has invested millions of dollars restoring the habitat of Kuno Wildlife Sanctuary for the flora and fauna already there and says the lions, too, would be fully protected.

Luke Hunter, president of the wild cat conservation organization Panthera, thinks some of the objections to moving lions from Gir may come more from pride rather than science. “Gujarat has done an extraordinary job of saving the Asiatic lion,” he says. “They think no one else can do the job they’ve done, and moving them would just increase the risk to the lions.” But he says the lions have reached the threshold of what they can do naturally at that location and have very little habitat in Gir that they can recolonize.

Hunter, who has two decades of experience moving African lions to new habitats, says selectively removing some Asiatic lions from Gir would not affect the population size in the forest. “We know enough from 20 years of African translocations to selectively remove individuals from Gujarat that would otherwise represent losses or mortalities,” he says. “Whatever lions you remove just creates more space for the remaining animals.” Panthera is not involved in Gir, but Indian experts consulted with Hunter 16 years ago when they first started thinking about translocation.

Hunter says the experience gained in southern Africa, where more than 500 lions in more than 40 different populations have been successfully relocated, shows that any translocation in India has a decent chance of success, especially when combined with the knowledge gained in Gujarat over the past century. “Gujarat needs to be congratulated, but now let’s transfer their expertise and make sure that lions persist in India regardless of how they do in Gujarat. There’s no good argument for not looking at that second or third population site.”

But even as the two states debate the issue, Gujarat is making its own efforts to create a second Asiatic lion population to avoid the risk of any potential catastrophic events. “Gujarat already has started development of another home for lions at Barda Wildlife Sanctuary, which is about 200 kilometers away from Gir,” Kotecha says. As many as eight lions are due at Barda as early as August of this year, after the annual monsoon season.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/animals ... last-lions
The teak forest of Gir is now the sole refuge for a big cat that hunted across swathes of Asia just a century ago. Luke Hunter considers the future of the Asiatic lion.

Sixteen years ago I hosted a delegation from India to South Africa’s Phinda Private Game Reserve. Led by Ravi Chellam, an expert on Asiatic lions, the expedition tapped into South Africa’s extraordinary expertise in transporting big game. Phinda’s forte was recreating thriving populations of lions that had disappeared decades earlier due to conflict with people.

By the time of our visit, the technique – scientists call it ‘wild-wild translocation’ – was so polished that restoring lions to their former range in southern Africa had become virtually routine.

Ravi’s team left with a wealth of insights into the complex business of rehoming wild lions. This know-how would be critical if their assignment was to have any chance of success.

The task? To establish a new population of the famed lions of India’s Gir Forest, the only members of the species left outside Africa.
In 2010, the lion census identified 411 individuals in Gujarat – though this tally is deceptively high: it included about 150 sub-adults and cubs, many of which will never reach breeding age.
Unfortunately, there is another parallel between India’s last lions and those in Africa: the ubiquitous presence of people and their livestock. Gir lions sometimes take domesticated buffalo and cattle belonging to the local Maldhari people, leading to inevitable conflicts in which lions are rarely the winner.

In the early 1970s, a radical policy was implemented. At the time, there were about 4,800 pastoralists and 25,000 head of livestock within the boundaries of Gir. But between 1972 and 1987, two-thirds of the Maldhari families were moved out of the area.

Though hugely controversial and plagued by long-term problems, this resettlement programme was, nevertheless, pivotal in saving the Gir Forest and its lions.

Livestock compete with native herbivores for food, and this pressure is exacerbated by the local people’s need to cut down trees for cattle fodder and fuel for cooking fires.

Before the resettlement policy, Gir held only 5,600–6,400 wild grazing animals – mostly chital and other lion prey such as wild boar and the larger sambar deer. In 2010, the estimate was nearer 65,000: a spectacular ten-fold increase made possible by the recovery of the forest.

But the human pressures are fast reaching boiling point again. Today, Gir is home to 6,000 people and almost the same number of livestock as in 1970 (herders and their animals have access to most of the conservation area, apart from the National Park at its heart). Another 100,000 people, together with their 95,000 cows and buffalo, live in villages on the forest’s boundaries.

Astonishingly, despite these changes, the lions have managed to establish satellite populations in wooded areas outside Gir, which now hold one in four of the cats. Most fragments of suitable habitat have been occupied, though, leaving fewer options for new prides to establish territories.

Human frailties

This brings us back to Ravi’s 1996 mission. After years of conservation initiatives that have filled Gir to capacity, there is still only one population of wild Asiatic lions. The endangered subspecies has yet to benefit from the translocation techniques learned in South Africa.

Gujarat’s neighbour to the east, the state of Madhya Pradesh, has been readying the Kuno-Palpur Wildlife Sanctuary to receive surplus lions from the Gir Forest, which lies 830km away. Though the reserve covers only 347km2, it is surrounded by a forested landscape 10 times that size, and so represents probably the last realistic hope for Asiatic lions anywhere outside Gujarat.

Madhya Pradesh and the Indian government have spent millions of pounds restoring Kuno-Palpur. As in the Gir Forest, this work has involved resettling villages (a total of 24 were moved), leading to forest regeneration and booming numbers of herbivores. All that’s missing is the lions.

Asiatic ambition

Sadly, they may never roam this reserve. The obstacles are neither biological nor socio-economic – the main reasons why large carnivore translocations are typically so challenging – but political. The state government of Gujarat refuses to part with its lions.

Depending on who you believe, its motives range from fervent Gujarati pride in its enviable record of protecting Asiatic lions, to maintaining its tourism monopoly over these handsome cats.

It’s a high-stakes gamble: small, isolated populations of animals are vulnerable to catastrophes such as disease epidemics. Without doubt, Gujarat has done a remarkable job of rescuing Asiatic lions from extinction – so much so that the felines have outgrown their only home in a century.

Whether their roars will still reverberate through the teak trees of Gir in 100 years’ time remains to be seen.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/gallery ... uri-golman
India's last lions photo gallery by Uri Golman
praksam
BRFite

Post by praksam »

Just happened to see this Documentary about Asiatic Lions. Must appreciate the efforts NatGeo puts in and brings out the best. Worth a watch. Narrated by David Attenborough.