Know Your India

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
durvasa
BRFite

Re: Perspectives on the global economic meltdown- (Nov 28 20

Post by durvasa »

gakakkad wrote:our literacy is 75 %..most of the present illiterates are older people...by 2020 literacy will be 90% + as the older illiterate population would have passed away..enrolment to primary school is close to 100% now in many states...life expectancy is 67 ...in south and west india it must be 75+...
My apologies for OT but there is a mild groupthink (or accepted wisdom) on BRF that South and West India have reached very high literacy, Income and life expectancy standards while North and Eastern states are way way way way behind.

I don't question that N and E are lagging West and South, but the difference is much smaller than what many here think.

Check Life expectancy table for India states at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In ... y_at_birth. South and West are clearly doing better but 3 out of top 6 states in life expectancy are in North. and I am sure Delhi and most of North East would be above (even excluding Delhi). Average life expectancy of South and west India is no more than 1.5-2 yr above India average and about 3-3.5 years above North and Eastern states. Except Kerala and possibly Punjab, Delhi and Goa, there is no state with 70+ life expectancy as of now.

And while I don't have the ready numbers to share, I am quite sure that as percentage improvement in basic hygiene and literacy levels is faster in North and East (starting from lower levels as shown in literacy chart below) in the last decade, life expectancy gap also is also probably reducing.

And the difference in Literacy levels is even lesser between South/West and North/East India and this gap too is narrowing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_sta ... eracy_rate

Sorry for OT again but I believe that these kind of statements get rarely questioned on BRF. This is especially galling as even the best (top quartile) of our states (South or otherwise) are behind many African countries, Sri Lanka and most Chinese states on these parameters. Even Bangladesh has better life expectancy than not just India but our 'best performing' Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Maharashtra. So we are all in it together.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

Infant mortality rate , maternal mortality rate and U5MR are far better indicators of social development than life expectancy for the following reasons -

1) IMR/MMR data are far more accurate in the Indians context as they are easier to collect..The problem with life expectancy is that most Indian population does not have a birth certificate and more than half of adults above the age of 50 are unsure about there age ..I often encountered patients who were not aware of there age ...60 year old men with grandsons would state there age in 40s ...they did not lie purposefully or anything..but were completely unaware of there age.. So life expectancy as collected from the sample registration sample is irrelevant in the Indian context..

2)IMR/MMR have a relatively lot faster impact ...For instance in 1999 the infant mortality rate was 71 , while in 2011 it is about 42..
My apologies for OT but there is a mild groupthink (or accepted wisdom) on BRF that South and West India have reached very high literacy, Income and life expectancy standards while North and Eastern states are way way way way behind.

the difference is as big as one might imagine ...

look for instance the MMR of the country.. It is 212 /100,000 for India average .... For Bihar it is 261.. for Gujarat it is 148..for kerala it is 78..see the difference ?

http://www.censusindia.gov.in/vital_sta ... 070711.pdf

page 2...

Christopher Sidor wrote:
If we look at all the development indexes we find that we have not progressed much.
look at the IMR in 1999..It was in 70s ..today it is in 40s ...

IMR 1997
http://www.censusindia.gov.in/vital_sta ... 3_No_1.pdf
IMR 2011
http://www.censusindia.gov.in/vital_sta ... 202011.pdf

MMR in 1990s was 500+ ..today it is 212...

who said we have not progressed ? it is just commie polemics to say that we have not progressed despite 9% growth...

Look at any other parameter and we ll have done better..

For life expectancy the data would become accurate only in 2030 onwards because we achieved > 50% birth registration only in 1980s ....the present life expectancy data is useless because a huge proportion of people above the age of 50 are unaware of there age...
Christopher Sidor
BRFite

Post by Christopher Sidor »

Arjun wrote:
Christopher Sidor wrote: Business Today magazine ran a story a few months ago listing the top 10 richest people in India. Guess the percentage among the top 5 who would be classified as resource-barons? 4 out of the top 5 were people who deal with resources. Anil Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal, etc.
If you get down to a proper analysis of Indian and global rich lists - you will find India to be overrepresented in technology, pharmaceuticals & media. Conversely, it is underrepresented in Fashion & Retail, Finance & Food/Beverage. Countries like Russia, Indonesia, Brazil, Australia are the ones dominated by resource billionaires.

In any case, not sure what question you are trying to answer out here. Are you saying the 8-9% neo-Hindu growth rate of the last decade was faulty statistics? What percentage of the GDP is constituted by the mining sector? - all these statistics are widely available.
I would beg to differ. Indian top richest men are all resource-barons. All into mining/extracting/refining/etc. We are under-represented in technology, pharmaceuticals and especially media. In spite of our so-called strengths in IT and pharmaceuticals, which incidentally are based on wage-differential and not that much on innovation, we have hardly any IT billionaires. We might have had great IT Service companies, but next to nothing in IT product companies. If we take pharma sector, then also you would find the number of companies involved in generic drug development is massive. Companies which are into drug research and development are less.

The path breaking reforms of 1991 occurred due to balance of payments crisis. Then as now, we were living way beyond our means. It galls me that in spite of the so called 8-9% growth we are still stuck in the same situation. What I am saying that our aim to chase headline growth was wrong. We ended up making high-growth rate as an end on its own. Rather what it ought to have been is a means to end. Instead of chasing double digit growth, we should have chased a decrease in our gini coefficient and emphasis on reducing child mortality+malnutrition. High growth rate ought to have been for us a method to achieve all this. But we thought reverse, we assumed that high growth rate would do all of that.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

^ from the data I posted above:
hased a decrease in our gini coefficient and emphasis on reducing child mortality+malnutrition.
MMR : 1997 = 557/100,000 LIVE BIRTHS.. 2011 :212/100,000 live births ..

IMR 1997 = 77/1000 live births .. 2011 : 40/1000 live births

If this is not plogless , than what is ?

reducing GINI coefficient ? I suppose con parties NREGA was an attempt of that sort ...And what a mess it has been...attempting to re distribute wealth is never a good idea...
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Christopher Sidor: Can you list the top 10 richest people in India and explain why they are called resource barons ? Why would refining or making steel make someone a resource baron ? they have no monopoly over the raw material.

Please provide data to back up your claims on social developmental figures as well.

gakakkad: Please give the person making claims a chance to back it up :)
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Christopher Sidor wrote:I would beg to differ. Indian top richest men are all resource-barons. All into mining/extracting/refining/etc. We are under-represented in technology, pharmaceuticals and especially media. In spite of our so-called strengths in IT and pharmaceuticals, which incidentally are based on wage-differential and not that much on innovation, we have hardly any IT billionaires.
There's no need to have an 'opinion' when its easily quantifiable. Just do the calculations yourself. The Forbes Global list of billionaires has 1226 entries this year - of which India accounts for 48. Go through the list of 48 names and calculate the ratio of IT, pharma and media billionaires. Compare this with the ratios you can derive for the global list based on information on this page: Global Billionaires by Industry. Remember you have to divide the numbers by 1226 to get the global ratios.
We might have had great IT Service companies, but next to nothing in IT product companies. If we take pharma sector, then also you would find the number of companies involved in generic drug development is massive. Companies which are into drug research and development are less.
Sure...but there is a process of evolution the industry needs to go through. Products are starting to happen and India is set to be among the top handful of countries on the products side as well. As for new drug development, India is the leader along with China in whatever little new drug research happening outside of US & Europe.
Last edited by Arjun on 05 Jun 2012 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Christopher Sidor wrote: What I am saying that our aim to chase headline growth was wrong. We ended up making high-growth rate as an end on its own. Rather what it ought to have been is a means to end. Instead of chasing double digit growth, we should have chased a decrease in our gini coefficient and emphasis on reducing child mortality+malnutrition. High growth rate ought to have been for us a method to achieve all this. But we thought reverse, we assumed that high growth rate would do all of that.
The argument you use is basically the Amartya Sen argument - could also call it the SCM argument, after its passionate and incessant defense by a BRF member who no longer participates.

The Jagdish Bhagwati vs Amartya Sen debates are quite famous - you might want to look them up.

Most of those who make this argument ultimately lead to the conclusion that fiscal deficits are unimportant and welfare schemes should be key priority. Which is precisely the reason for the sorry pass India is in. Welfare schemes are absolutely important but ONLY as long as they don't bust the country's balance sheet. A focus on growing GDP will automatically ensure the same growth in welfare spend if one sticks to a prudent fiscal policy.

The neo-Hindu Growth rate of the last decade was fundamentally on account of a triumvirate of factors: 1) PVN Rao 2) a government at the turn of the century that believed in good, solid fiscal conservatism combined with economic liberalism and 3) world-class Indian entrepreneurs. Sonia Gandhi, Jean Dreze and her Eurozone imported welfare-state policies - have worked overtime to kill the golden goose.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

i never understood the scm/amartya sen philosophy .(were they the same persons ? :))

to me developmental economics is simble onlee... high growth rate causes rise in income , which leads to better affordability of food ,education and healthcare ...that's all there to it...you can't magically reduce malnutrition without improving income ...you can't improve income without growth...kaamen sense onlee...perhaps absent in some Nobel laureate pee chaddi saabs ...

Yindias Gini index is already of the lower side ...(35 in contrast to 48 of panda and 46 of unkil) ...so I am not sure how more "equality" be brought ...
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

durvasa wrote:Sorry for OT again but I believe that these kind of statements get rarely questioned on BRF. This is especially galling as even the best (top quartile) of our states (South or otherwise) are behind many African countries, Sri Lanka and most Chinese states on these parameters. Even Bangladesh has better life expectancy than not just India but our 'best performing' Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Maharashtra. So we are all in it together.
This is absolute BS.

A failure to look at what one is talking about. Lets take Bangladesh. It suffers from the highest emigration rate on the planet. This mismatch between the birth rate vs the residency rate means that deaths get counted in other countries while Bangladesh gets the benefits of counting the births. It has been pointed out in other reports that what Bangladesh did was use its lack of distance to suppress infant mortality in the first year. This crushing of the infant death rate without a similar effect on birth rate what allows this high number momentarily. But over time the lack of institutional support has caused life expectancy increases to plateau and even reverse in recent years. This has been pointed out many many times before and yet here we are again.

A major reason for Indias poor statistics is due to the futureless detritus of 300 million abjectly poor and abandoned people who did not have a chance due to charlatans who spoke exactly like this for the past 60 years. Here in Kanyakumari district there is tribal population living in the Agasthiamalai preserve of about 80,000 people who have a life expectancy of roughly 30 years and suffer a under 5 mortality rate of 50%. Yet there they live in splendid isolation, noble savage and all. There is another group of about 600,000 such abandoned folks living in the Javadi hills.

The trend lines for India have always been very steady. No wild seesaw whiplash seen. This is due to a patient steady Indian policy. Bangladesh and Nepal in particularly have benefited from a flood of MDG money from Europe over the past 20 years. These 'achievements' were due to free spending foreigners who at one point were pumping in $100 per person in Nepal IIRC. India will be improving its HDI long after these fireflies burn out. Not dissimilar to the TSP TFTA vs SDRE beat down.
durvasa
BRFite

Post by durvasa »

Theo_Fidel wrote:
durvasa wrote:Sorry for OT again but I believe that these kind of statements get rarely questioned on BRF. This is especially galling as even the best (top quartile) of our states (South or otherwise) are behind many African countries, Sri Lanka and most Chinese states on these parameters. Even Bangladesh has better life expectancy than not just India but our 'best performing' Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Maharashtra. So we are all in it together.
This is absolute BS.

A failure to look at what one is talking about. Lets take Bangladesh. It suffers from the highest emigration rate on the planet.
Ignorance is often orgasmic! I will be happy to see that in reality India is doing better than what is shown in records. BD has high but not an exceptionally high emigration rate! http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?t=0&v=27&l=en. Its .157%. There are countries (Mexico,Sri Lanka, Cuba, SA, Syria and almost all Stans) with higher rates

Also, even if we assume that all BD births are counted locally, newborns are immediate smuggled out and forced to live & die outside BD and their deaths not counted in BD census, the impact on life expectancy will be no more than .00157*68 yrs= ~0.1yr or 1 month, still marking BD better than most southern states (and rest of India). Even if the real rate is triple that of official emigration rate, it will still bring BD life expectancy down by about 3 months. However, the reality is different, most of the deaths occur in infancy, childhood (in a developing country) and old age, so emigration of mostly healthy young males (and females) will actually bring down the life expectancy on paper at least.

Let's not give specious argument about 300 mn abjectly poor & abandoned Indians and that other countries get cheep charity dollars. That's an insult to Indian efforts as well as an attempt to cover up our embarrassment for being behind sub-saharan Africa in many parameters.

Of course, our trajectory is up and if no hiccups come our way, we will reach mid-income nations' levels in literacy, health, life expectancy, MMR and other parameters hopefully within next 10-15 years.

Again an OT for me as my earlier argument was quite different. am back to lurking mode
Last edited by durvasa on 06 Jun 2012 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

which parameters are we behind sub saharan africa ? that is mainly commie bs onlee...so poverty wallah writes that we are behind sub saharan african and everyone parrots that without knowing the stats..

subsaharan africa has an IMR of 160-200 range...mmr of 500-1000 range...

Of course, our trajectory is up and if no hiccups come our way, we will reach mid-income nations' levels in literacy, health, life expectancy, MMR and other parameters hopefully within next 10-15 years.
many parameters like are likely to come to high income range by that time...for urban India they will 100% come to developed country range...
durvasa
BRFite

Post by durvasa »

gakakkad wrote:which parameters are we behind sub saharan africa ? that is mainly commie bs onlee...so poverty wallah writes that we are behind sub saharan african and everyone parrots that without knowing the stats..

subsaharan africa has an IMR of 160-200 range...mmr of 500-1000 range...

many parameters like are likely to come to high income range by that time...for urban India they will 100% come to developed country range...
Ah! I was counting hours before someone insinuates me to be a commie! :) I am on BRF for last 9+ years, mostly in the lurking mode! Extent of groupthink on BRF these days amazes and, at the same time, saddens me!

Still its a great forum for Paki bashing! Am here mostly for that and maths thread. Please ignore my brief intervention here. Thanks
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Re: Know Your India

Post by gakakkad »

Ah! I was counting hours before someone insinuates me to be a commie! I am on BRF for last 9+ years, mostly in the lurking mode! Extent of groupthink on BRF these days amazes and, at the same time, saddens me!
It is become fashionable to make unsubstantiated claims on brf these days and cry when your chaddi is utaarofied ...

You said that subsaharan africa has better social indicators than India ,something which toilet paper coterie of liberals say ad nauseum ..

Here are the real statistics :

MMR (2008 data)

http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?d=SOWC&f=inID%3A20

Africa total : 580+ /100k live births;
Bangladesh: 340+ /100k live births
India : 230+ per 100k live birth (2008) ..data from 2011 from the SRS website I posted above says it it 212...we have improve almost 10% in 3 yars time...

you want to know what some african countries data ?

angola 610+
burkina faso 560+
burundi 970+
central african republic 970+
Chad 1200+

IMR:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... ality_rate

India: 40s (source already mentioned above) 30 as per CIA *
Bangladesh : 59
African countries: 60-100

before you accuse someone of group thinking ,provide data to support your claims..And when data is given to counter your claims ,accept it rather than downhill ski ..

* As per SRS our IMR is in 40s ,while as per other sources it is in 30s ..Both are correct... SRS is a raw data while other sources give standardized data...

The following article will explain how mortality rates are standardized...

http://www.geo.hunter.cuny.edu/~imiyares/standard.htm

Also note that social indicators of no country are improving as rapidly as that of India...
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Dear D,

It appears you are back in sniper mode, shoot & scoot. A little bit of info is a bad thing.

I hope you understand that there is lies, damned lies and then statistics. Things like life expectancy and MMR and Under 5 mortality are all based on certain methodologies. Take life expectancy, it is measure on a bell curve. Estimates are made for each age group and than the arithmetic mean is the life expectancy. By swaying the Infant mortality part of the curve BD has moved the bell further to the right. This is not a case of better outcomes. One of the ways BD did this was by exterminating all its local tribal populations, many of whom now live in India.

As far as your emigration calculation it is incorrect as that rate you use is only official migration. A recent GOI report estimate the BD population in India alone to be just over 17 million. Some estimates went as high as 22 million. In 1991, the last time BD officially mentioned it the government put out a number of roughly 8.5 million 'missing' people per its census.
http://archiv.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/savi ... t_2008.pdf
The most disturbing part of data problems relates to variations in the estimates
of Bangladeshi populations from different Indian sources. For example, the Governor
of Assam in 1998 gave a staggering figure of 13.2 million Bangladesh migrants in
India. In the same year an official affidavit put up before the Supreme Court of India
estimated a total number of 1024,322 Bangladeshi nationals entered into India with
valid documents but overstayed and did not return back to Bangladesh during 1972-
1998. During the same period over five million Bangladeshi nationals were detected
for entering clandestinely in India and pushed back across the border.3 In 2003, the
then Indian Defence Minister, Mr. George Fernandez reported that on an average
100,000 Bangladeshis enter illegally to India every month (The Times of India, 29th
September 2003). Moreover despite its denial, the 1991 census report of Bangladesh
mentioned about an unique phenomenon of missing population, estimated initially at
10 million and subsequently at 8 million, of whom 1.73 million are Hindus, and 6.27
million are Muslims (Ray, 2002). With these caveats in mind some established
patterns of Bangladeshi migration to India have been discussed in this paper along
with the causes and consequences.
If we go with the BD self confessed estimate of roughly 8.5 million and say that such emigration continued for the next 20 year a minimum of 15 million of a population of 150 million is missing. Most of it over the last 30 years, bang coincidently when its life expectancy spiked. This would mean that the actual migration rate is more like 100 per 1000 not the absurdly low 1.5 per 1000 you posted.

By your own simplistic calculation this would be 0.1x68 = 6.8 years! Not reading this board regularly can really get you into trouble!

And this is just emigration, the shenanigans on infant mortality are equally laughable.

BTW any followup on your sub-saharn africa comment after G saab fisked you? Thought not.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

thought this is the least irrelevant thread for this post

a short film about the Iron Man. He turns 137 today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lfXpyWFNYE

can't there be a thread to discuss/share information about India's freedom struggles & people who took part in it?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

A Hindu woman devotee alights from a boat on the river Yamuna, surrounded by industrial effluent, during Karthik Purnima in New Delhi, India. Photo:PTI
OMG! at first sight I thought snow.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

more investment needed here.. world has advanced so much for us to do this..this must stop!
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Horses, elephants, oxen, buffaloes, dogs and birds at month-long Harihar Kshetra Mela at Sonepur, Bihar. e-paper link
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

i'm prolly spamming this thread. have not logged in a while. cannot post on nukkad. something has changed.
meanwhile this is just brilliant.

never realized bantureethi could be rendered like this. brilliant.

and this is why carnatic will live forever. they nail the tillana and never go out of swara.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

Sickened, disgusted by the frequency of "accidents" in India. Whether it is road accidents, fires in buildings, or drownings of students on an outing. It is happening far, far too often. Yes, accidents happen, as they say, but the same kind, over and over again, with so much loss of life? 5 powerlifters, including a world champ, died yesterday in an idiotic car accident. 4 engineering students drown moronically in a pond in Andhra. Two fires in separate buildings in Mumbai kill a total of 20 people, actually make that 3 fires( there was one in a studio as well, which killed a person).

Indians have among the shortest memories and/or among the least common sense and/or safety intuition in the whole world! And they don't seem to learn from the past.

Accidents are always going to be with us. But the least we can do is to try to minimise and prevent them from occurring over and over( and over and over where India is concerned) again. Where are the campaigns and activists for road, water and fire safety? And why is the media and general public so relatively non-chalant about it, unless of course a close family member is a victim?
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Varoon Shekhar wrote:Sickened, disgusted by the frequency of "accidents" in India. Whether it is road accidents, fires in buildings, or drownings of students on an outing. It is happening far, far too often. Yes, accidents happen, as they say, but the same kind, over and over again, with so much loss of life? 5 powerlifters, including a world champ, died yesterday in an idiotic car accident. 4 engineering students drown moronically in a pond in Andhra. Two fires in separate buildings in Mumbai kill a total of 20 people, actually make that 3 fires( there was one in a studio as well, which killed a person).

Indians have among the shortest memories and/or among the least common sense and/or safety intuition in the whole world! And they don't seem to learn from the past.

Accidents are always going to be with us. But the least we can do is to try to minimise and prevent them from occurring over and over( and over and over where India is concerned) again. Where are the campaigns and activists for road, water and fire safety? And why is the media and general public so relatively non-chalant about it, unless of course a close family member is a victim?
Totally agree. There is no safety awareness/culture in India. My own family members make fun of me because I keep my child in back-seat of the car, preferably in car seat! They refuse to wear seatbelt, saying its not needed, and only keep it close to their chest when policemen are near, as Bangalore cops can fine you for that, and they do. People routinely travel in front seat of car holding their infants in hand! Traffic sense even among the educated IT crowd is sorely missing, given the rash driving one sees even inside IT campuses! Parents don't think twice before giving their cars/scooters to their minor children. Recently, Bangalore cops started a drive to seize vehicles driven by minors without license, and uploaded photos on their facebook page. Was shocked to see 7th/8th grade kids driving two-wheelers in heavy traffic areas! And there was a case where four teenagers below 18 took their cars in midnight for a drive and were racing near electronic city flyover when they crashed and died! Parents claim they didn't know when kids slipped out at night. This is the extent of parenting! Similar cases occured in Hyderabad where multiple teenagers have lost life due to rash driving.

Same thing in some of the resorts/water parks. Rarely see any life guards actively watching near pools/water games.

There was death of sewage workers in Bangalore recently. They don't realize that the gas below is poisnous, and willing to work as long as pay is good, and the civic authorities don't educate them or give them safety gear. The apartment folks who hired them got the blame, while the civic authorities got a free pass!

Majority of these tragedies are avoidable. Just needs change in thinking. When parents don't care for laws or rules and don't appreciate its for their own safety , how will kids learn it?
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

^
Right! And it's if anything, more distressing to read everyday about murders and suicides in India. Absolutely sickening. Again, yes, homicides and suicides occur all over the world, but it's the increasing frequency and number in India, that is horrendous. Where is that Indian spirituality, forbearance, tolerance for hardship, and ability to take a philosophical, holistic view of life? Of course violence is justifiable and necessary in certain situations, like defending your country, fighting terrorists, and infiltrators on the border, retaliating against the enemies' provocations on either border. But because you got only 80% as opposed to 90% on a test, a relationship break up or a "jilt" by someone, a homicide because someone opposed you parking outside their bungalow( as happened in Pune recently)! Shooting a principal because she reprimanded you for poor performance in school( Gurugram) I mean, what the...? Not to justify or glorify the other individual's behaviour in any of these cases! But murder.?. murder, really now. Why on such a short fuse?
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

With the folding up of the general discussion forum :-), I don't know where else to post my query.

There are some really nice sounding, even compelling, Indian TV signal tunes/incidental music. Whether it is Arnab Goswami's Republic TV debate, The Newshour's tune, and the NDTV's( or Undie TV:-)) The Buck stops here, I for one am quite impressed by the theme tune in the beginnings of the respective shows.

My question is, are Indians the 'composers' of these signal tunes, or are they 'borrowed' or contracted to non-Indian developers?

I hope it's Indians, of course! Even for something as relatively minor as introductory theme music, it does display some talent and creativity.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

^ The one I like on NDTV is by the Maestro himself, A R R. This one is amazing composition, usually played when Roy and his team are providing commentary on live election results. Heard it played during other programs as well. I would pay money to buy this one if available.
Pathik
BRFite

Post by Pathik »

Varoon Shekhar wrote:^
Right! And it's if anything, more distressing to read everyday about murders and suicides in India. Absolutely sickening. Again, yes, homicides and suicides occur all over the world, but it's the increasing frequency and number in India, that is horrendous. Where is that Indian spirituality, forbearance, tolerance for hardship, and ability to take a philosophical, holistic view of life? Of course violence is justifiable and necessary in certain situations, like defending your country, fighting terrorists, and infiltrators on the border, retaliating against the enemies' provocations on either border. But because you got only 80% as opposed to 90% on a test, a relationship break up or a "jilt" by someone, a homicide because someone opposed you parking outside their bungalow( as happened in Pune recently)! Shooting a principal because she reprimanded you for poor performance in school( Gurugram) I mean, what the...? Not to justify or glorify the other individual's behaviour in any of these cases! But murder.?. murder, really now. Why on such a short fuse?
Sir, the empathy amongst current gen. Indians is as low as it gets. I have seen cars hoking at bikers who had a minor accident and fallen in the way of the car. They honk so the rider quickly assembles himself and gets out of their way. I have never seen this kind of shocking behavior any where in the world, not even in the animal kingdom. Another worrying trend is youngsters looking for short cuts to make money and choosing careers and jobs accordingly, everything is all about money suddenly. People murdering friends and relatives for land and money is the norm these days, even the police investigate this angle first for any murder. Sadly media and bollywood never sends the right messages and when it comes to discretion and civic duties we fare as poor as some of the worst banana republics on the planet. The current coverage of Sridevi's death by the media is the lowest these people can stoop, makes me wonder what kind of recruitment process the media houses follow to have such people on board. We are seriously short of national idols and those that are far and wide in between like Namo are criticised day in and day out. Shudder to think what kind of childhoods our children are facing and kind of values they would inculcate with all this mess around.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

This has become another whine thread. Not sure why it is so easy for multiple threads to descend like this.

You folks might as well start a bojitiv newj thread on India, these posts will be right at home. At folks like me can avoid it going by the name of the thread and not stumble upon such inspiring thoughts first thing in the morning.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

arshyam wrote:This has become another whine thread. Not sure why it is so easy for multiple threads to descend like this.

You folks might as well start a bojitiv newj thread on India, these posts will be right at home. At folks like me can avoid it going by the name of the thread and not stumble upon such inspiring thoughts first thing in the morning.
+1
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Oh dear. Saw this thread and thought there might be some nice info. Like wildlife parks or culture tidbits I didnt know about or some nice nuggets about our country and culture and history We need to do something about this thread. Will discuss but for now guys do try posting some real nuggets about india. From now let's just have positive news ,stories and info here.

Quiz - which is the only wildlife sanctuary in the world which has the hippo, rhino, elephant and tiger in same place.
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Oh dear. Saw this thread and thought there might be some nice info. Like wildlife parks or culture tidbits I didnt know about or some nice nuggets about our country and culture and history We need to do something about this thread. Will discuss but for now guys do try posting some real nuggets about india. From now let's just have positive news ,stories and info here.

Quiz - which is the only wildlife sanctuary in the world which has the hippo, rhino, elephant and tiger in same place.
Is it Sepahijala Wildlife Sanctuary in Tripura,although it's a type of zoo?
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Kaziranga. But happy to be corrected if wrong. Extra marks for correction.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Okay folks. A decision has been taken that this thread will be only positive. Post about the million different facets of India - culture, food, wild life , nature, monuments , personal interest stories , real life hero's , epics, poems etc but everything happy and positive. Any post not doing that will be deleted and persistent violation will get the tough treatment.

Quiz - who is the Indian comic character who's mind works faster than a computer.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Pathik, I want you to post one story about a real life good role model. Not Namo or politicians. Will make all our days and yours too.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Okay folks. A decision has been taken that this thread will be only positive. Post about the million different facets of India - culture, food, wild life , nature, monuments , personal interest stories , real life hero's , epics, poems etc but everything happy and positive. Any post not doing that will be deleted and persistent violation will get the tough treatment.
Thanks for the danda saar.
Akshay Kapoor wrote:Quiz - who is the Indian comic character who's mind works faster than a computer.
Chacha Chowdhury, who else? :)
VKumar
BRFite

Post by VKumar »

arshyam wrote:
Akshay Kapoor wrote:Okay folks. A decision has been taken that this thread will be only positive. Post about the million different facets of India - culture, food, wild life , nature, monuments , personal interest stories , real life hero's , epics, poems etc but everything happy and positive. Any post not doing that will be deleted and persistent violation will get the tough treatment.
Thanks for the danda saar.
Akshay Kapoor wrote:Quiz - who is the Indian comic character who's mind works faster than a computer.
Chacha Chowdhury, who else? :)
ARVIND KEJRIWAL?
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

India seems to be the only country with a confirmed White tiger in the wild

http://nilanjanray.in/pale-tiger/

In fact there are two of them, probably from the same litter!!

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/energy ... 005567.ece

Also Melanistic, Black tigers have been camera trapped in Simplipal Tiger reserve Odisha

Also, a Tigress with a Golden coat/fur was spotted in Kaziranga.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Also some amazing sights in the wild that may only be seen in India

Rumble in the jungle: mother bear fights off Indian tiger- Tadoba Tiger Reserve, Maharashtra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40jgYHfXyb4

Pathik
BRFite

Post by Pathik »

India is the only country in the world to have all 3 of the 4 big cats in wild - Lion, Tiger and Leapord (Jaguar/Panther - restricted to the americas). I would also credit this to the divinity of the animals to choose themselves to be born in this country. Lion and Tigers are vahans of the Devi.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

We also have snow leopards and clouded leopards. Less than a century ago, we also had Cheetahs. The last three were hunted in 1948, by a royal no less.
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

We have black Panthers also in Nagarhole Tiger Reserve.
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Kaziranga. But happy to be corrected if wrong. Extra marks for correction.
No Hippos in Kaziranga!!