Mass Rapid Transit in India

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Mass Rapid Transit in India

Postby Singha » 15 Oct 2011 08:49

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... DDLELSMini

6 pix of the trials running. the MG road station looks good from outside, the fittings at a typical airport std (ie far far better than typical IR). time will tell how loads are handled and how efficient it is.

in other parts of BLR the rest of lines construction work seems to be proceeding quite fast - I have seen it in jayanagar ...

some missing pieces of planned puzzle would be
[a] a line from BTM along outer ring road to hebbal and yeshwantpur. unfortunately when the ORR was made, no land was left for this ... I dont think its feasible now which just shows the crap way we do greenfield projects
[b] connect the current terminus of Bypanahalli to Whitefield (why was this not done in first phase itself escapes my logic).
[c] a line from KR Puram along old madras road upto volvo plant in hospet to help the bunch of industries in that belt (same way metro will come to yeshwantpur - neelamangala)

atleast if and when they build the peripheral ring road they got to pull pants up and leave space for dual metro lines overhead or on the ground itself for cheaper construction.
Last edited by Singha on 15 Oct 2011 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 15 Oct 2011 08:50

btw some of the older buildings in MG road are finally being torn down and swank new ones coming up in place. esp evident in the stretch from brigade rd jn to anil kumble circle.

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Postby SSridhar » 15 Oct 2011 13:22

Weren't one or two of them bordering on being labelled 'heritage structures' ?

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 16 Oct 2011 11:15

yes maybe a few would be spared (like the kaveri emporium, church property that houses the hard rock cafe, the deccan herald building...) but quite a few are already gone and replaced. the old bombay store is rebuilt as joyallukas jewelers now. kaveri emporium is badly in need of a refurbishment...it has already had one fire and the place is old and full of flammable stuff.

brigade road has kind of lost its luster....lots of cheap t-shirt shops came up as typically happens when a area loses its vitality..... loads of pubs and their shady type clients, a few NRIs wandering around, cigarette smoke, lack of parking ... not really a family friendly place anymore. church street is unkempt with broken pavements , rats ....

the new "high street" is indiranagar 100ft road .. even though it also has lack of parking and 4th world std pavements generally used to park cars in no parking zones.

btw they have done sensible thing and scapped the proposed HSR from MG road to BIAL which would have been a costly white elephant. instead the normal metro will have a line to BIAL just like most cities like delhi do. lots of construction work is already evident from Hebbal to BIAL..it will be elevated all the way. no sign of any work from Hebbal to MG road yet...

I am looking fwd to when the jayanagar and chikpet metro lines open...finally get to park my car in bypanahalli and then prowl these vast areas to explore and look for deals...there's a lot of cool stuff in the bylanes and hidden coves there.

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Postby Raja Bose » 16 Oct 2011 11:50

Is the Nilgiri's on Brigade Rd still there? Every time I went there I used to love their pies. Every time the old man visited NAL or HAL, he would have standing orders to bring back all the baked stuff from Nilgiris on his flight back.

ChandraV
BRFite

Postby ChandraV » 16 Oct 2011 20:33

Singha wrote:yes maybe a few would be spared (like the kaveri emporium, church property that houses the hard rock cafe, the deccan herald building...) but quite a few are already gone and replaced. the old bombay store is rebuilt as joyallukas jewelers now. kaveri emporium is badly in need of a refurbishment...it has already had one fire and the place is old and full of flammable stuff.

brigade road has kind of lost its luster....lots of cheap t-shirt shops came up as typically happens when a area loses its vitality..... loads of pubs and their shady type clients, a few NRIs wandering around, cigarette smoke, lack of parking ... not really a family friendly place anymore. church street is unkempt with broken pavements , rats ....

the new "high street" is indiranagar 100ft road .. even though it also has lack of parking and 4th world std pavements generally used to park cars in no parking zones.

btw they have done sensible thing and scapped the proposed HSR from MG road to BIAL which would have been a costly white elephant. instead the normal metro will have a line to BIAL just like most cities like delhi do. lots of construction work is already evident from Hebbal to BIAL..it will be elevated all the way. no sign of any work from Hebbal to MG road yet...

I am looking fwd to when the jayanagar and chikpet metro lines open...finally get to park my car in bypanahalli and then prowl these vast areas to explore and look for deals...there's a lot of cool stuff in the bylanes and hidden coves there.

I think, there are two reasons for MG-Brigade area losing its luster. Firstly, the metro construction for 3 years which made the area a complete mess. Secondly, the rise of malls. I am hopeful that the area will regain its luster once the metro is operational.

Kashi
BRF Oldie

Postby Kashi » 17 Oct 2011 16:01

ChandraV wrote:I think, there are two reasons for MG-Brigade area losing its luster. Firstly, the metro construction for 3 years which made the area a complete mess. Secondly, the rise of malls. I am hopeful that the area will regain its luster once the metro is operational.

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer MG Road/Briage/Church Street/ Com street/Ulsoor environs over Indiranagar/Koramangala anyway. Maybe that was a consequence of living near Yelahanka for so long, but always preferred North side of the city.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 17 Oct 2011 20:56

nilgiris is still there, pretty much unchanged. they are slowly getting wiped off the map though by better funded and more polished retailers in same space. they still have hard to find stuff in the spices and chocolates section available nowhere else. and their glass of cold coffee is 40/- vs 75/- for same thing in CCday. Hyerciti in brookefield has better interiors than any store I ever saw in massa.

MTR which is now owned by some norweigan co, is facing a surging attack by their breakaway faction Maiya's - Maiyas retail store, food and presentation beats MTR hands down and he is going to compete in prepared food soon as the non-compete clause ends in a couple years. he is already competing in snacks I think.

I am sure my kids teenage will not have nilgiris and MTR in existence. two other 'old' stores that seem to have adapted to new era and new customers is Sapna book store (successfully expanded out of their gandhinagar GHQ) and M.K.Ahmed Retail. both are expanding across the city.

food world is nearly in the grave.

gangaram's will likely die out too - with just one store in MG road they have no hope of catching the huge mkt here. same for higginbothams.

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Postby SaiK » 17 Oct 2011 21:32

the namma metro could improve on the painting and presentation. just plain and simple white would make it far out.

finish, quality and structural edge sharpness is better on delhi metro, whereas bangaluru one looks crude.

Kashi
BRF Oldie

Postby Kashi » 20 Oct 2011 16:48

Vasu
BRFite

Postby Vasu » 20 Oct 2011 16:53

Good. Looking forward to reading how the first day goes, what glitches faced, what glitches avoided, and how crowds managed etc.

"The trains will be wifi enabled" - damn! Maybe Delhi Metro should consider it now! Actually, for me, wi-fi in the Mumbai locals would be ideal. 8)

sum
BRF Oldie

Postby sum » 20 Oct 2011 16:53

^^ One uber-sekular manager at our place was mentioning about why Puja etc is required for metro and it is only because Hindutva BJP is ruling etc leading to maha arguements between the pro and con groups about this!!

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Postby SSridhar » 20 Oct 2011 17:15

Well done Bengaluru in getting the Metro at last, notwithstanding the lackadaisical governance earlier which delayed the project by several years.

Kashi
BRF Oldie

Postby Kashi » 20 Oct 2011 17:36

I wonder what route will they finally opt for when connecting the Devanahalli airport with Cubbon Road. Will it go via Yelahanka New Town or Jakkur? One possibility could be to run it on a elevated track along the Bellary Road.

Bade
BRF Oldie

Postby Bade » 20 Oct 2011 23:30

Not to be outdone tier-3 cities are catching up too ! Hope to see it all done by 2020.

http://www.kochimetro.org/

http://www.kochimetro.org/images/stories/images/kochi_metro_route_map.jpg

Bade
BRF Oldie

Postby Bade » 20 Oct 2011 23:33

With all the new development along the Bellary road corridor north of Hebbal, it makes perfect sense to extend the metro to BIAL. I never understood the rationale behind a high speed line just connecting to the airport. It is not like even 10% of population flies in and out of B'lr daily or even monthly.

Not having Whitefield, electronic city in the alignment for Phase I :roll: made no sense either. Maybe they will need to rethink and extend all the way to Hosur (with infrequent service) and the eastern line to Hosakote too. I saw many residential complexes all along that stretch from the old Airport rd (varthur) connecting to Old Madras road.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Postby Rahul M » 20 Oct 2011 23:44

metro/LRTS projects in India.

List of the cities in India trying for metro/mono.

Operating:
1) Kolkata
2) Delhi

U/C (Metro):
1) Mumbai
2) Bengaluru
3) Chennai
4) Jaipur
5) Gurgaon
6) Hyderabad

U/C (Monorail):
1) Mumbai

Proposed (Metro):
1) Kochi
2) Ahmedabad
3) Pune
4) Chandigarh
5) Navi Mumbai
6) Bhopal
7) Lucknow
8) Ludhiana
9) Kanpur
10) NOIDA
11) Srinagar
12) Jammu
13) Patna
14) Indore
15) Guwahati/Dispur
16) Amritsar

Proposed (Monorail)
1) Chennai
2) Bangalore
3) Trivandrum
4) Coimbatore
5) Madurai
6) Trichy
7) Aizawl

Proposed (Pod taxi)

Gurgaon

from SSC.

shaardula
BRF Oldie

Postby shaardula » 20 Oct 2011 23:49

Bade wrote:With all the new development along the Bellary road corridor north of Hebbal, it makes perfect sense to extend the metro to BIAL. I never understood the rationale behind a high speed line just connecting to the airport. It is not like even 10% of population flies in and out of B'lr daily or even monthly.

Not having Whitefield, electronic city in the alignment for Phase I :roll: made no sense either. Maybe they will need to rethink and extend all the way to Hosur (with infrequent service) and the eastern line to Hosakote too. I saw many residential complexes all along that stretch from the old Airport rd (varthur) connecting to Old Madras road.

the ec metro got sidelined because of the elevated highway. with no other space it now has to be u/g.
the thing about the current alignment is that it covers the links that will be there in any useful network of blr metro. additional spurs and loops will have to be added on later.

slow but steady is what i'm hoping for.

Vasu
BRFite

Postby Vasu » 31 Oct 2011 10:41

Japan again Delhi Metro's knight in shining armour

Phase-III of the Delhi Metro’s rail network, work on which is to commence soon, will see a jump in borrowing from the Japanese government’s aid agency, in line with a rise in the cost of construction.

Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) is under pressure to deliver on a major network expansion, but the cost of construction is set to almost double, to Rs 303 crore a km, for each line in the third phase. While the percentage contribution of Japan International Cooperation Agency (Jica) in funding DMRC’s projects is to decrease from 60 per cent in phase-I to 50 per cent in phase-III, the borrowing in absolute terms is set to jump three-fold, to Rs 17,621 crore.

Phase-III is to add 116 km more to the present 180 km. Jica’s contribution was to come down to 40 per cent of the overall project cost of Rs 35,242 crore (initial estimates). However, it has since agreed to fund half the project cost for the third phase, which becomes operational in 2015. “This comes as a major relief and good news for us. This is an indication of the trust the Japanese government has in DMRC’s repayment capacity and sound project financials,” Mangu Singh, director (works) at DMRC told Business Standard. Singh is also the choice for next chief of DMRC when the veteran incumbent, E Sreedharan, retires as managing director on December 31.

DMRC had constructed a 65-km network in phase-I, with an investment of Rs 10,571 crore. Around 60 per cent of this —Rs 6,342 crore — came from Jica, in the form of long-term debt. Of the rest, 28 per cent was provided by the Union government and the Delhi government as equity. In phase-II, while the overall project cost almost doubled to Rs 19,131 crore, Jica’s contribution came down to 49 per cent (Rs 9,374 crore) and the equity contribution from the government went up to 50 per cent of the total cost.

A major reason for the huge jump in per-km cost of construction from Rs 162 crore in phase-I to Rs 303 crore in phase-III is the ambitious plan to increase the underground component in the network, to avoid land acquisition issues. While the underground component accounted for 20 per cent of route length in phase-I and 27 per cent in phase-II, underground lines would account for around 40 per cent of the rail network in phase-III.

DMRC’s annual outgo to the Japanese government on loan repayment is around Rs 250 crore, around 45 per cent of its total annual income. While this outgo is being met by DMRC on its own, it leaves the company with no funds to provide for depreciation reserves. A government official, who did not want to be named, said in the years to come, the company would have to look for ways to restructure its finances.

jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Postby jamwal » 01 Nov 2011 13:30

May be this question belongs in Economy thread, but I'm really curious to know how Japanese will earn profit on these interest rates ?

Theo_Fidel

Postby Theo_Fidel » 02 Nov 2011 01:56

This is a concessional interest rate of 1.5%. Chennai metro got the same rate as well. I don't think they are looking to make money on this loan. There are good people who have done well by us in this world.

RamaY
BRF Oldie

Postby RamaY » 02 Nov 2011 02:23

Japan Govt Bond 10Y rate at 1.01%

^ so Japan is making profit on these loans.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Postby Rahul M » 17 Nov 2011 08:45

kolkata metro map. (credit : IndiansUnite @ SSC-I)

Operational:
Line 1 (blue running N-S): Dum Dum to New Garia - 25 kms with 23 stations

Under Construction:
Line 2 (light green running E-W): Howrah Maidan to Salt Lake Sector V - 14.67 kms with 12 stations
Line 3 (purple from south to central): BBD Bagh to Joka - 16.72 kms with 13 stations

Approved (construction to commence soon):
Line 1 (blue stretch in north): Dum Dum - Dakshineswar (extension)
Line 4 (light blue running N to NE): Noapara - NSCB airport (to be extended to Barasat later)
Line 5 (grey running from north to northern suburbs): Baranagar - Barrackpore
Line 6 (orange running N-S along east): New Garia - NSCB Airport - 32 kms with 24 stations

Suraj
Forum Moderator

Postby Suraj » 17 Nov 2011 11:28

Rahul M: Will they replace the existing Kolkata Metro rolling stock and signaling with more contemporary ones ?

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Postby Rahul M » 17 Nov 2011 11:50

the NS line 1 is run by IR and uses old rolling stock from the last century. those are non AC and in much lesser numbers than required but still quite reliable. till now they have been ordering new rolling stock (called AC coach informally) from ICF perambur and the quality as well as delivery schedule has been horrendous. last I heard all the new AC coaches have been withdrawn after repeated fires and breakdowns, seriously affecting planned service expansion. now there appears to be a new international tender for modern rolling stock.
http://business-standard.com/india/news ... ad/455763/
Railways invites coach makers from abroad
Probal Basak / Kolkata November 17, 2011, 0:23 IST

Will be first-ever global tender by the railways; bids to be opened in January.

To meet the rising standards of modern urban public transportation systems, Indian Railways has, for the first time, opted for a global tender for Kolkata Metro’s coaches.

According to railway sources, both domestic and international companies have shown interest in producing broad-gauge air-conditioned rakes for the metro rail here.

“The project has evinced interest from Bombardier, BEML and some Japanese players. The bids are expected to be opened in January 2012,” said a railway official. The bidding will take place for 14 air-conditioned rakes (each rake constitutes eight coaches).

I expect the older rakes would be gradually phased out.

the EW metro was originally under a DMRC like org called KMRC and opted for meter gauge, so it will have different rolling stock. I have seen their tenders and the signalling system would be a modern one, as you would expect for a new development. KMRC has since been absorbed by IR and placed under RVNL. it will however remain meter gauge while all other metro lines are expected to be broad gauge.

rgsrini
BRFite

Postby rgsrini » 17 Nov 2011 21:49

I think we should consider privatising ICF. At present, ICF has no incentive to innovate and modernize as they have a captive client in IR. This will encourage other companies like L&T, M&M to enter this area. A modern train coach should be reasonably easy to design and manufacture within India by most mechanical engineering/automotive companies. I don't believe we need to bring in foreign manufacturers for this unless they are more cost effective.

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Postby SaiK » 18 Nov 2011 06:34

sum wrote:^^ One uber-sekular manager at our place was mentioning about why Puja etc is required for metro and it is only because Hindutva BJP is ruling etc leading to maha arguements between the pro and con groups about this!!

tell him, why argue shargue? puja is part of sekular life. it is a ceremony to well wish that is all, just like cutting the ribbon etc. if he has problem with puja, then let him not see or attend.

so if he is sekular, he should do all aspects of sekularism. may be he took some masan definition of culture perhaps.

Vasu
BRFite

Postby Vasu » 18 Nov 2011 15:17

My old grad school campus is at Joka, and would love to take the metro there someday!

meanwhile, Delhi Metro continues to grow!

Delhi Metro Phase III to add 103 km to existing network

With work beginning on Phase III of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation, the Central Government has decided to expand the metro network further, and DMRC has already been directed to prepare a detailed project report (DPR) for Phase IV, which is likely to add another 104 km to the metro network, Union Minister for Urban Development Kamal Nath said here on Thursday.

Phase III of the DMRC will be built at a cost of Rs. 35,242 crore, adding another 103 km to the existing metro network in Delhi. Calling it the “largest infrastructure project ever sanctioned in the country,” Mr. Nath said Government is also considering DPRs for extension of the proposed Phase III.

The new routes under consideration include 5.5 km between Dwarka and Najafgarh (Rs. 1,070 crore), 2.7 km between Yamuna Vihar and Shiv Vihar (Rs. 170 crore) and another 11.5 km between Mundka and Bahadurgarh at a cost of Rs. 1,990 crore.

The tentative corridors for the proposed Phase IV include Yamuna Bank to Loni Border (11.97 km), Janakpuri West to Mukundpur (18.74 km), Mukundpur to Dilshad Garden (17.54 km), Kirti Nagar to Dwarka Sector- 28 (18.17 km), Badarpur to Delhi Aerocity (20.79 km), Lajpat Nagar to Madangir (7.33 km) and Azadpur to R. K. Ashram (8.90 km). The DPRs for Phase IV are likely to be ready within the next 18 months.

“DMRC has been asked to conduct detailed surveys for additional lines from Dwarka Sector- 21 to IFFCO Chowk, Shiv Vihar to Mukundpur and Rithala to Bawana,” said Mr. Nath. With completion of the proposed Phase IV by 2021, the Delhi Metro is likely to cover about 440 km, surpassing the London underground, he added.

More than 18 lakh people travel by the Delhi Metro everyday. “By the end of Phase III, which is expected to be completed by 2016, the Delhi Metro would have a total network of 312 km with a total ridership of about 40 lakh passengers per day,” said Mr. Nath.

There are also plans underway to increase the capacity and frequency of trains on the existing Delhi Metro network. “Presently, about 2,500 train trips are performed with 199 trains comprising 922 coaches. Two coaches have been added to 93 trains already, and supply of additional 212 coaches at a total cost of Rs. 1,800 crore is likely to begin in May 2012,” said Mr. Nath.

Dileep
BRF Oldie

Postby Dileep » 18 Nov 2011 15:45

Magnetic levitation technology for Kochi metro rail mooted

Use of magnetic levitation, as used in the metro rail system in Korea, could be adopted for the Kochi metro project, said the Union Minister of State for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution K. V. Thomas.

He said that E. Sreedharan, Managing Director of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation, had suggested the adoption the technology after the DMRC chief visited Korea recently.

Mr. Sreedharan and the Union Minister had detailed discussions on the Kochi metro project, preliminary work on which has got off to an earnest start already. Mr. Thomas said that the Korean adaptation for Kochi of Maglev, in which there are no wheels, would make the metro project cheaper by about 20 per cent and that the system in Korea needed slimmer pillars than what was now being planned for the Kochi metro project.

This would make construction easier in Kochi considering the narrow roads along which most of the metro rail is planned to run.

The Minister also said that at the time of the first proposal for Kochi metro, the Maglev system was considered to be costlier than the conventional wheeled cabs in the metro systems.

However, the system had been improved upon in the Korean example.

Mr. Thomas also said that the State government was pressing the Union government to adopt the Chennai model for Kochi metro project, in which the Centre picked up 50 per cent of the stakes.

However, the Planning Commission was not in favour of such a model, Mr. Thomas said as he pointed out that more discussions with the Planning Commission were expected over the coming days.

Rishirishi
BRFite

Postby Rishirishi » 18 Nov 2011 19:49

I have traveled on the MAGLEV in Shanghai.

Consider the facts.

It cant make stops at short distances, because the speed is so fast. Have not seen it underground. Is extremely noisy and expensive.

Much better to extend a metro line.
I think the statements are just to keep public happy. Can't be serious.

Theo_Fidel

Postby Theo_Fidel » 18 Nov 2011 20:12

rgsrini wrote:I think we should consider privatising ICF.

It should be considered. But also need money.

Better manufacturing requires some serious investment however. A modern car plant requires and investment of $1 Billion or so in heavy stamping equipment, new tool dies, expensive conveyor lines, parts sourcing, etc. ICF manufactures almost all components in house or is required to do so at other PSU's. If we want better coaches/technology/finish we are going to have to pay for it. A Rs 10,000 Crore investment would do it. That's what it took for the Delhi Metro.

A single DM rake car costs Rs 8 Crore. A full rake of 4 costs Rs 30 Crore. ICF old style rake cars cost Rs 1 Crore or so a piece. LHB is now about Rs 2 Crore IIRC. So ICF makes 8 old style cars and 4 LHB cars for the price of a single DM car. This is the key question - money.

To replace just our existing 30,000 passenger rakes with modern rakes costing Rs 10 Crore a piece would be Rs 300,000 Crore. $60 Billion. (3years of food security bill :roll: ) IR total passenger income ~ Rs 25,000 Crore. IR is essentially broke and can not afford even the RS 60,000 crore to go to LHB rakes which would be a massive massive improvement by themselves.

Sadly the First world is bloody expensive.
----------------------------------------------------------

Maglev is not serious at this phase of our development. Maybe by 2030 or so we can look at a couple of short lines.

One thing the article does not mention is power consumption. 50 MW or so sustained requirement at 500 KMPH. Roughly 2% of Keral power usage today. Not Serious.

RamaY
BRF Oldie

Postby RamaY » 18 Nov 2011 20:58

Theo_Fidel wrote:To replace just our existing 30,000 passenger rakes with modern rakes costing Rs 10 Crore a piece would be Rs 300,000 Crore. $60 Billion. (3years of food security bill :roll: ) IR total passenger income ~ Rs 25,000 Crore. IR is essentially broke and can not afford even the RS 60,000 crore to go to LHB rakes which would be a massive massive improvement by themselves.

Sadly the First world is bloody expensive

Good point TF garu. Assuming 1 crore investment creates 10-15 jobs (posted the basis a while ago in Alternative Budgets thread), we are looking at creation of ~1 million jobs in this area alone. Would INC/NAC do that? Because it would create self-aware middle-class...

To the bolded point, that is true. India needs to develop a robust recycling industry to reduce new mineral dependency.

Rishirishi
BRFite

Postby Rishirishi » 19 Nov 2011 05:02

But isint it possible to run the current trains at satabdi speed (150 km).
In stead of running all those slow night trains, what about running the trains faster during the daytime. would it not be possible to double the ammount of passengers in chaircar trains?

krishnan
BRF Oldie

Postby krishnan » 19 Nov 2011 08:17

will need more tracks..also not all prefer day travel...some like me prefer night travel

Theo_Fidel

Postby Theo_Fidel » 19 Nov 2011 11:23

Rishirishi wrote:But isint it possible to run the current trains at satabdi speed (150 km).

We can not do this safely with present rakes. Things like braking , weight, energy consumption, suspension, coupling become serious issues at such sustained speeds. At a minimum we need LHB rakes.

Yes the idea is, to upgrade existing track slowly to 150-200 kmph speeds, then turn every thing to 8-12 hour trips in chair cars @ twice density. Even night trains will be by chair car. The sleeper system we have is grossly inefficient and, expensive and wasteful by world standards. Esp. for the rock bottom prices we pay. We will have to give it up at some point.

All a question of paisa.

Just for perspective Panda has spent about $400 Billion on its HSR network. This is roughly, Rs 2,000,000 Crore. Its passenger revenues at ~$10-15 Billion is comparable to IR. Gives you an Idea of the chances that money will be paid back.

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Postby Raja Bose » 19 Nov 2011 12:25

^^which means the one last remaining refuge of comfortable travel will be gone too :((

Dileep
BRF Oldie

Postby Dileep » 19 Nov 2011 15:18

Incheon Metro is already building a maglev based metro line. It is NOT the 500kmph TFTA maglev. It is a slower running metro system.

It seems they built a 6.1km line for 1800Cr INR, ie around INR 300Cr/km. Not bad at all. According to E. Sreedharan, this technology will cost less than their own wheel on steel solution.

Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Postby Tanaji » 19 Nov 2011 16:11

Do maglevs consume more electricity than their electrified counterparts of wheel on steel?

Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Postby Yogi_G » 19 Nov 2011 21:01

What about double decker trains? More carriage per carriage and more passengers. Will need massive changes to the overhead electricity lines and all new rolling stock but definitely worth the cost if we can double the capacity in some select high passenger volume routes. We are a nation about to reach 2000$ per capita income and its only a matter of time before we expect more comfort and more "space" than what is currently available in the 3 tier carriages.

I must admit, I got influenced by "Under Siege 2". :mrgreen:

edit: will we need a broader gauge as double decker on current gauges might not be able to high speed curve turns?

Theo_Fidel

Postby Theo_Fidel » 20 Nov 2011 07:23

Amtrak has double decker sleepers with no impact on costs.

Rakes cost more, load to me hauled burns more fuel, facilities need to handle more passengers, steps eliminate some of the advantage, etc. Once you do the numbers double decker is marginal in efficiency. IR has tried double decker numerous times and run into big enough problem that it has essentially given it up.

Return to “Technology & Economic Forum”