Mass Rapid Transit in India

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
srin
BRF Oldie

Re: Mass Rapid Transit in India

Post by srin »

I have a metro station < 200m from my home, but after it is launched later this month, I plan to only use it as weekend joyride affair - lalbagh, cubbon park (for kids), MG Road and Chinnaswamy.
They have been very clever in avoiding all the IT hotspots in Phase 1. Completely useless for daily commute.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

I didn't think of the political angle there. Could be, let's see.

In other related news, the inspection has been extended by a day.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

srin wrote:They have been very clever in avoiding all the IT hotspots in Phase 1. Completely useless for daily commute.
I don't know what the rationale for the phase I routes were, but planning has not been BMRC's strengths. Even worse, they don't seem to be learning from their mistakes. Phase I issues were well explained by vsunder saar on this thread. Phase II seems even worse given the greater length of the UG tunnels needed, and sheer complexity of locations like Jayadeva, Silk board and KR Puram. And true to form, only the tenders for the construction of the elevated sections has been issued, while the UG ones are still in planning. For example, where will the MG road station or Cantt stations come up? No clarity. Except Shivaji nagar, other station locations are still up in the air, though per this article, the DPR was issued for phase II. Given the amount of time UG sections require, it would have been prudent to start the UG sections a full year or two before the elevated ones. But no, that's not happening and we are condemned to even worse traffic than what it is now. In the IT areas like ORR, the worst is yet to come, believe it or not!

To be fair, I couldn't find the DPR itself on the web. The closest doc I came across was this: http://www.bmrc.co.in/pdf/phase2/phase2forweb.pdf. Not sure if that level of detail is sufficient to get GoI approvals or funding.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

srin wrote:I have a metro station < 200m from my home, but after it is launched later this month, I plan to only use it as weekend joyride affair - lalbagh, cubbon park (for kids), MG Road and Chinnaswamy.
They have been very clever in avoiding all the IT hotspots in Phase 1. Completely useless for daily commute.
This is to be expected unfortunately. Ridership is low in early stages.

The MRTS is supposed to connect to the IT corridor from Alandur. Change-over is required at the multi-level station. Other circumstances have conspired to prevent this so far. But hopefully soon.

This is only meant to be the inner corridor. Not meant for commuting really. From here interchange stations and links to areas like Sriperumbudur, Gudalur and ponneri are planned.
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

Theo_Fidel wrote:
srin wrote:I have a metro station < 200m from my home, but after it is launched later this month, I plan to only use it as weekend joyride affair - lalbagh, cubbon park (for kids), MG Road and Chinnaswamy.
This is to be expected unfortunately. Ridership is low in early stages.

The MRTS is supposed to connect to the IT corridor from Alandur. Change-over is required at the multi-level station. Other circumstances have conspired to prevent this so far. But hopefully soon.

This is only meant to be the inner corridor. Not meant for commuting really. From here interchange stations and links to areas like Sriperumbudur, Gudalur and ponneri are planned.
This is exactly what happened in Delhi. I was really exited and told my relatives that metro will change everything. Not many people took it seriously.
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

How is delhi Ring railway now ? is it being used at all ?
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

by Srin
IT people have their own transportation provided by the companies. Metro is designed for normal business/commuters/tourists/etc. and not for IT.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Rishirishi wrote:How is delhi Ring railway now ? is it being used at all ?
Mostly as a bypass for freight trains skirting Delhi. Too many problems with RR for it to become a part of an integrated transport system in Delhi. Moreover, it doesn't help that it shares tracks with East and South/West bound trains around the NDLS area, so they often have to stand by and let the other trains go past.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

SBajwa wrote:
by Srin
IT people have their own transportation provided by the companies. Metro is designed for normal business/commuters/tourists/etc. and not for IT.
Normal commuters can use BTS BMTC too :D
And no, not all IT companies provide transport. Only large IT shops do, and even there, not everyone uses it.
Check out BTM Udupi Garden, Silk Board, Sarjapur Road, Sony World, Bommanahalli (nowadays worse than Silk Board), KR Puram, Marathahalli et al - look at the Google Maps traffic view at 9:30 am or 6:30 pm. Inner city areas while narrow have flowing traffic, compared to the ORR / Hosur Road areas which have wider roads, but are really congested.
Rohit_K
BRFite

Post by Rohit_K »

Bengaluru metro's inauguration is set for the 17th. A painful :x decade of construction will come to an end.

http://themetrorailguy.com/2017/06/08/p ... n-june-17/
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

srin wrote:They have been very clever in avoiding all the IT hotspots in Phase 1. Completely useless for daily commute.
We should also understand that Phase 1 was actually planned when Bangalore was totally different. At that point of time (early 2000s) Bayyappanahalli etc. were really outliers. ITPL/ITPB may have been the only IT park which was kind of getting established before that. The other IT hot-beds like the two Beesanhallis, EcoSpace etc came much later. I feel the main problem was that this project was too slow in its execution, and it became a case of "too little, too late".
srikven
BRFite -Trainee

Post by srikven »

For a commute from Kanakapura road to Manyata business park, it takes around 90 min by road now on an average. Does it make sense to take the Metro to Yashwantpur ( or Bayappanahalli ) and take a cab from there to MBP. Any idea on the estimated time from Yelachanahalli to Yashwantpur on the greenline ?
A Nandy
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by A Nandy »

They could have started work in parallel on the ORR stretch if they wanted to. Why this serial plan of execution that only after phase 1 there will be phase 2?

The real reason is that the Congis don't receive any votes from this area. If all the IT people in this area decided to vote en-masse they could swing the elections either way. But that's never going to happen. Meanwhile we get to live and drive in a gutter.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

srikven wrote:For a commute from Kanakapura road to Manyata business park, it takes around 90 min by road now on an average. Does it make sense to take the Metro to Yashwantpur ( or Bayappanahalli ) and take a cab from there to MBP. Any idea on the estimated time from Yelachanahalli to Yashwantpur on the greenline ?
Count the number of stations. Consider 2min per station. Thats the avg speed on current lines as per daily commuters. Give some time for interchanging between lines, boarding-deboarding, tickets etc. And you can get good estimate of total travel time.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

A Nandy wrote:They could have started work in parallel on the ORR stretch if they wanted to. Why this serial plan of execution that only after phase 1 there will be phase 2?

The real reason is that the Congis don't receive any votes from this area. If all the IT people in this area decided to vote en-masse they could swing the elections either way. But that's never going to happen. Meanwhile we get to live and drive in a gutter.
+1. Its majority floating population there and unwillingness of people to exercise right of voting that has kept the area neglected. Technically this should not be the reason for not providing basic civic facilities but thats how it is. Only way is to break down BBMP in 5-6 pieces. Its simply too big to be able to manage such large area. Bangalore is like a big villege run by Villege level mentality politicians. It will never get developed like this.

New thing these ******** have found now is tunnel roads at the expense of 25000Cr. Hope it never goes through.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Byappanahalli to mysore road is apparently 33 minutes. 16 stops.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Metro workers to be felicitated today......
Kochi Metro. A good gesture. They workers (mainly from Assam, Manipur, Orissa and TN as well) all had a bada khana (Kerala style feast) followed by a musical show in Hindi.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Nothing is useless or too little! If the Bengaluru metro prevents a few 1000 vehicles from being on the road, it will help those who really need to use vehicles. It will certainly relieve the pressure on the axis through which it passes.

But if a BRFite is looking for "hop-in at residence,hop-off at work", that is not going to happen anytime soon, unless they move into residences close to a metro station and work close to a metro station. Hopefully, a lot of the real estate folks are planning office and commercial spaces quite close to a station, instead of wherever they find cheap land (and crap roads) in the outskirts. This will lead to better utilization of core areas. Uber type ride hailing also will help tremendously for the last mile connectivity
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

hnair wrote:Nothing is useless or too little! If the Bengaluru metro prevents a few 1000 vehicles from being on the road, it will help those who really need to use vehicles. It will certainly relieve the pressure on the axis through which it passes.
Saar, but we must also check the areas in which the current metro (Phase 1) is going. Most of these areas (CBD), Malleshwaram etc. are already saturated with offices & residential areas. Sure, people staying/working there would get a benefit of using the metro and leaving the vehicles at home. So it may reduce the vehicle density on the "VIP" areas of the city. I don't think these area would see any more influx of large buildings etc. (because the Metro also now goes that way).

But what has also happened is that the areas where a large number of people work (IT Parks like EcoSpace) still remains unconnected to the Metro system. Here people would come with their vehicles, and would continue to choke the peripheral big roads and junctions. A friend of mine is now waiting for the second line to open up. He is willing to catch the purple line to Majestic area, and then go on the Green line to an area near his home (4-5kms away) and then use a bus or auto for last mile connectivity. Currently he uses the company transport which goes through the Outer Ring Road etc. with a transport time of around 2 hrs 15 mins.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

^^^^^^^

150-250 new vehicles are being registered in bangalore every day. (2+4 wheelers)

How is the metro going to sort this out.??

the very people who you think will use the metro are the most likely customers for these new vehicles, no??
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

chetak and sachin, anything is better than the current "nowhere to nowhere" route to Byappanahalli! Other than private vehicles, there are a huge number of invisible, subaltern vehicles that eff up the traffic along trunk routes in bangalore, including share autos, taxicabs etc. Often times, these are the ones who are most reckless in creating stupid jams during peak time. If the metro take out a few 100 of these, as happened in Delhi, it will help

I dont think even a dense Tokyo style mass transit (with multi-modal switches) is going to help with individual grievances. Just saying, we will get some bang for the buck, that is all!

Core areas of Bengaluru (I am going to ignore the term "VIP areas", because that is a word with no significance in Bengaluru nowadays) are not dense enough, compared to other world metros or even Indian ones. Heck, even Mumbai does huge redevelopment of core areas, when demand and infra tallies!

Had occasion to go to a lunch meeting with the 800 lb gorilla of Bengaluru office space guy, when he was visiting Trivandrum with his posse. He was saying he is gungho about "redevelopment of core areas" in Bengaluru, in addition to his current "low risk-remote areas" (boonies projects). Had to go with his word, since he has leased the largest amount of office space in India right now. Already "land aggregators" must be working quietly to get this going
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ hnair saar, the current route to Bayappanahalli is nothing close to a "nowhere" route - the crowd has to be seen to be believed! What you said was true when the metro initially ran from BYPL to MG road - it wasn't useful to anyone. But the moment they opened the full line up to Mysore road, the crowd has only kept increasing. Overall, it is a +ve.

Another thing people miss out on is that the metro has the potential to redistribute residences and offices. Lot more people can move to the places on the non-IT side of the city like Vijaynagar, Deepanjali nagar, Yeswantpur, Nagasandra etc. and commute to work in BYPL and Whitefield, etc. Not every one has to crowd Indiranagar or CV Raman nagar and add to congestion there. Is it perfect? No. But it is a start for sure.

In fact, this line has run into another problem - overcrowding and not enough trains/coaches. They didn't anticipate this crowd for some weird reason and did not order enough number of coaches. So the network is stuck running 3 car trains which are grossly inadequate during peak hours. This is before the second line is even open. Only recently was an order for more coaches placed and it will take around 18 months for the deliveries to start.

Ph II will truly help decongest the city, but I don't have much hopes of a quick construction phase. BMRC has done the usual lazy practice of starting with the easier elevated stretches and leaving the underground ones for later. This, despite the delays seen in phase I which had very little UG sections, and the 2nd phase has a lot more UG to be built. Ideally, the time consuming UG stretches have to start well in advance of elevated stretches, but here the UG line's detailed report has no details on station placement, tunnel coordinates, etc. This lack of learning from previous experience is concerning.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

arshyam wrote:Lot more people can move to the places on the non-IT side of the city like Vijaynagar, Deepanjali nagar, Yeswantpur, Nagasandra etc. and commute to work in BYPL and Whitefield, etc. Not every one has to crowd Indiranagar or CV Raman nagar and add to congestion there. Is it perfect? No. But it is a start for sure.
A pal of mine, currently stays close to Vijay Nagar and have been using Metro for quite some time. And frankly, his commute time has been reduced by 20-25 mins. For him it was of extra benefit, as he also had health problems when driving for long distances. As per him, the current bottle neck is the Whitefield to BYPL stretch which is becoming a big mess (with the KR Puram hanging bridge causing more harm than good). To overcome that he has to rely on a MEMU train coming from/going to BWT. So chap now have a WhatsApp group for the MEMU crowd, followed by another one for the Metro crowd where lots of "information exchange" happens ;).

I feel if at least the Whitefield extension of the Bayyappanahalli Metro can be fast-tracked, a lot more improvements can be made. The next bigger mess, Outer Ring Road can be tackled after that.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Any feedback from your friend on how the Whitefield MEMU is working out? There was a plan to run regular EMU service, but that is still born I guess. But at least WFD has the option for a rail connection, ORR has no such hope at all. It's going to become much worse before it gets better :(.

Not running phase I metro up to KR puram was a mistake. That could have addressed a lot of tin factory problems. Better late than never, I guess.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

arshyam wrote:
Ph II will truly help decongest the city, but I don't have much hopes of a quick construction phase. BMRC has done the usual lazy practice of starting with the easier elevated stretches and leaving the underground ones for later. This, despite the delays seen in phase I which had very little UG sections, and the 2nd phase has a lot more UG to be built. Ideally, the time consuming UG stretches have to start well in advance of elevated stretches, but here the UG line's detailed report has no details on station placement, tunnel coordinates, etc. This lack of learning from previous experience is concerning.
Given the shoddy execution of UG section of Ph 1, BMRCL had lot of trouble getting loan for the Ph2. Even now only those parts which are completely aboveground have tendering process finished. The line which has UG section (Bannerghatta-Nagwara) is still to come for tendering. I don't know if they have got loan from some European bank (ECB?) or not yet. Earlier Japanese bank was funding Ph 1 and then the refused to fund Ph 2.

They should really have built KRpuram-Whitefield stretch and Silk board - KR Puram stretch by now. Its beyond reason why could they not launch those two stretched till now. Well at least someone had brains to push ahead ORR line from Ph3 to Ph2A.

And now politicians in BLR have got new avenue to syphon off money in that Tunnel roads which is expected to cost 25000CR initially and may be 100000Cr ultimately.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Koxhi metro starts today. Great work particularly the integrated multi modal transport.

For all the commie infestation KL seems to do quite well in infra and HDI indicators. no?

Kochi Metro inauguration Live updates: PM Modi about to flag off rail service

Wheels of time – a first-hand account of the Kochi Metro

Everything you need to know about the Kochi Metro
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

rahulm wrote:Koxhi metro starts today. Great work particularly the integrated multi modal transport.

For all the commie infestation KL seems to do quite well in infra and HDI indicators. no?
There were plans of HSR in Kerala too, haven't been following it, but no sure if feasibility studies have been done.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Like Hyderabad, Bangalore is more elevated tracks friendly owing to touch rocks of deccan plateau. More the underground section incrementally longer the construction time will be or they need to bring in more number of tunnel boring machines.
Rishi Verma
BRFite

Post by Rishi Verma »

If only modi had wore a lungi - he would have touched many southern hearts..

Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Rishi Verma wrote:If only modi had wore a lungi - he would have touched many southern hearts..
Funny enough, the same argument is often quoted as a reason by "some" as why PM Modi should wear a skull cap..
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

And BLR opens its much awaited and necessary north south green line today facilitating NS EW interchnage. Good stuff

Pune meanwhile is busy eating vada pav and planning festivals and palki's
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

Nice article about opening of the Cochin Metro. Each station has a 'theme', cool. Have to get there and ride it one day! Modi inaugurating the system was quite likeable and readable.

Was in India for 2 weeks recently, riding Bangalore metro a very pleasant experience. Station announcements in Kanarese and English, written notices in Kanarese, English and Hindi. I didn't want to sit down, because standing up allows you to see vistas of Bangalore, and the impression you get is that Bangalore is huge, booming and modern, with seemingly endless expanses of buildings, roads, neighbourhoods, shops, etc. A lot of new tall, but not too tall, buildings can be seen in the distance, were not there in early 2000's, and many not even in 2012. Traffic on roads of course is crazy, but at least for a visitor, has an exhilarating side to it as well, seeing a panorama of the vehicles on Indian roads. And that is now a very rich variety! The variety of cars is not far off from North American levels, and if one includes motorcycles, mopeds, scooters and rickshaws, probably surpasses it.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Its not Kanarese which is colonial term, it is Kannada.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Kashi wrote:
Rishi Verma wrote:If only modi had wore a lungi - he would have touched many southern hearts..
Funny enough, the same argument is often quoted as a reason by "some" as why PM Modi should wear a skull cap..
This is incorrect. Taqiah cap literally means that you fear Allah which automatically means that you are a Muslim who accept PBUH prophet and Allah as your God. This is diametrically opposite compared to wearing a lungi which has cultural significance. This is why Modi accepts Muslim chaddar but never wears skullcap. Mahatma Gandhi never did..he can wear skullcap the day a Muslim president does Shiva or Vaishnava Tilak or Visits a Kali temple and does a Aarti.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

I know, but I like the word "Kanarese" not because it's colonial, but because it sounds better, less harsh. ;-). I hope no Indian or PIO likes something because it's colonial, that would be despicable.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

It is not Lungi. It is 'munT', the white/ivory one. I was half expecting him to show up wearing one. It would have made an impact.

There was great applause whenever the name of E Sreedharan was mentioned. He is THE MAN who made it the best executed metro stage yet. Fastest build up to the longest stretch and under budget too.

The first commercial service will happen at 6:00am Monday. I am planning to take the first ride.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Bleddy lungi dance nonsense :|

It's called mundu in KL (Dileep saar mentioned how it's pronounced), and veshti in TN. Aka dhoti.

Wearing a lungi to a function like this is a great disrespect to it. Thankfully, Modi saar knows better!

Likewise Varoon-ji, kindly give the basic courtesy of referring to a language by it's proper name. It's called Kannada (do note the 'a' at the end :)).
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Please post videos of both.
Rishi Verma
BRFite

Post by Rishi Verma »

<POOF>

Admin note - you are just back from a ban and already busy with one ugly post after another
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Looks like NS line will help me complete my "to do" things in bang, CTR and Vidyarthi Bhavan.