Solar energy in India

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
JohnTitor
BRFite

Re: Solar energy in India

Postby JohnTitor » 29 Dec 2017 12:07

Solar gurus

I'm planning roof top solar panels for a new build in karnataka.

I've been doing some research and I qas told that german panels are superior to indian/chinese panels. However, I've been quoted about 1lac pwr kwh.. apparently indian/chinese panels will being down the cost to 60-70k per kwh. While the difference doesn't seem much, when we arw looking at 3-5kwh worth of panels thw difference is huge.

Is it really worth paying for the German panels? The guy says that defects on the local panels will mean significantly lower power production..

Opinions?

guru.shetty
BRFite -Trainee

Postby guru.shetty » 29 Dec 2017 12:32

I've been doing some research and I qas told that german panels are superior to indian/chinese panels. However, I've been quoted about 1lac pwr kwh.. apparently indian/chinese panels will being down the cost to 60-70k per kwh. While the difference doesn't seem much, when we arw looking at 3-5kwh worth of panels thw difference is huge.

Kwh is a unit of energy. Kw is a unit of power. Not trying to nitpick, but just putting it out there. What you are being quoted is most likely for kw. Also, are your prices post govt subsidies?

Generally, it is not really true that German panels are superior. Some chinese companies make excellent panels too. In the US, a very popular one for residential installations these days is LG, which is korean. The ones on my roof are made by mitsibushi. A reputer manufacturer selling in the US gives 25 year warranty. Solar panels can last a good 40 years. So, my suggestion is to pick a company which gives a good warranty and you think that the company will last for that many years. Warranty is important for both panels snd inverters.

Generally, you need to make apples to apples comparision. A typical solar installation has the following costs.

1. Solar panels. A high quality panels costs around 80 cents per watt for residential systems. Mass procured panels cost 35 cents per watt for utility scaled systems.

2. Inverters. 2 popular types are string inverter and micro-inverters. Costs are very different. When you use what is also different.

3. Hardware costs for instsllation: screws, brackets etc.

4. Labor costs, profits and marketing costs of the installer.

From what I hear, in India, you are looking at $1.5 per watt for the entire setup - if high quality stuff is installed. This is before subsidies. You can then multiply it by your system size.

The place where you install panels can make a huge difference to ROI. In northern hemisphere, south facing roof has best exposure. Depending on your location, you then decide on tilt of panels for max benefit. And shade is a big no-no.

Edit: If roof size is small, higher efficiency panels make sense. ~22% is considered high efgiciency. Regular panels are around 18% efficient. Cheap ones are ~15% efficient. solarpaneltalk.com is a good place for more research.

durairaaj
BRFite -Trainee

Postby durairaaj » 29 Dec 2017 17:20

Just to give a tidbit,
Silicon panels themselves are almost everywhere its same.
The differentiaing factor is the conducting ink/paste/glue applied between silicon and metal current collector.
This is the crucial factor that determines the life of a panel. Even though the current collection efficiency may be similar for both low cost and German ones at the beginning. The aging will bring the significant difference out. The conductivity of the low cost panel will fall rapidly because of corrosion and increase in resistivity under the current collector. But its difficult to get this information from SPV suppliers. If possible ask for warranty for 10 years with respect to Solar cells efficiency.

JohnTitor
BRFite

Postby JohnTitor » 29 Dec 2017 20:56

Thanks guys.

Yes you are right it’s Kw and not KWh

Roof space is about 600-700 sqft so that is about 4 or 5 Kw worth of panels. The 1lac per kw quoted was for everything including installation..

I was told that there are no subsidies for the panels themselves but excess electricity can be sold to the grid.
I believe the warranty is 25 years for the panels, need to confirm if it is for efficiency though

Theo_Fidel
BRF Oldie

Postby Theo_Fidel » 03 Jan 2018 10:29

JohnTitor wrote:I'm planning roof top solar panels for a new build in karnataka.

In Karnataka with relatively benign climate, I would not bother with Panels from Germany. Almost all components, including those from Germany are sourced from the same handful of Asian suppliers. Only final assembly is local. Same is true of Indian panels. Not worth the price premium. defects ar e possible of course. But look at it this way. You will get about 15-20 panels. The savings from going with generic panels is 2 lakhs. Take 1 lakh and put it in bank. Easy warranty if 2-3 panels fail. Other one lakh, Idli Sambhar every day @ Darshini next 10 years. IME if a string or two fails the panels keep generating anyway. You just ignore the failures and let the remainder keep generating.

BTW 4-5 KW is a lot of power for India. In Karnataka High plateau yield 1800-2000 kwh / kw you will get around 8000-10,000 kwh per year. Almost 25-30 kwhr per day. Most Indian houses don't consume that much power during day. Make sure you have the net metering meter correctly installed. I have heard it is tough to get it approved and installed.

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Postby UlanBatori » 03 Jan 2018 10:45

JohnTitor wrote:Thanks guys.

Yes you are right it’s Kw and not KWh

Roof space is about 600-700 sqft so that is about 4 or 5 Kw worth of panels. The 1lac per kw quoted was for everything including installation..

I was told that there are no subsidies for the panels themselves but excess electricity can be sold to the grid.
I believe the warranty is 25 years for the panels, need to confirm if it is for efficiency though

For subsidies I think you should contact the organization called ANNERT (?) I think that is a GOI outfit. They not only give the subsidy, they guide you to local vendors who will handle the subsidy. Yesterday I heard from someone near PkD, Mongolia, about a 2KW system for a residential installation. ANNERT recommended the vendor (I think the vendors offer lousy customer service but that is another matter).

Also comparing solar panels, one should first understand what KIND of solar panels. HUGE difference in efficiency, cost and longevity, depending on whether you have mono-crystalline Silicon, polycrystalline (not as good) or amorphous/flexible sheet (far worse but low lifetime). So mono-crystalline will "cost" more but require less area and be more efficient.

Vips
BRFite

Postby Vips » 11 Apr 2018 06:35

World's largest solar park to come up in Gujarat.

Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani today approved setting up a 5,000 MW capacity solar park at the Dholera Special Investment Region (SIR), which would be the largest such entity in the world after its completion.

The proposed solar power generation project would be set up in 11,000 hectares of land with an investment of Rs 25,000 crore, said an official release.

The project will contribute significantly in achieving Prime Minister Narendra Modi's target of producing 175 gigawatt of electricity through renewable energy sources by 2022, said Rupani.

The chief minister exuded confidence that the solar park would not only provide employment to over 20,000 people, but also open new manufacturing avenues for the entire supply chain in and around the Dholera International City.

ashbhee
BRFite -Trainee

Postby ashbhee » 11 Apr 2018 23:10

Vips wrote:World's largest solar park to come up in Gujarat.

Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani today approved setting up a 5,000 MW capacity solar park at the Dholera Special Investment Region (SIR), which would be the largest such entity in the world after its completion.

This is great, but where are these panels coming from? Are we going to simply import panels from China and install it or are we going to manufacture it?

Return to “Technology & Economic Forum”