Indian Economy: News and Discussion (Apr 1 2011)

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Economy: News and Discussion (Apr 1 2011)

Post by Arjun »

amit wrote:I'm not interested in your running battles with Somnath on this thread and in others. Yes I've followed them inasmuch that I follow those threads. I've drawn my own conclusions about them but they're not important to the current discussion.
Amitji, and what conclusions might these be? I am curious ! 8)

I happen to be strongly right-wing liberal on economic, political and social issues. Somnath happens to be on the other side of the spectrum on most of these fronts and morover is very vocal in his beliefs. That is a natural recipe for 'running battles' whether with me or with many other posters. So it is very much an ideological divide more than any personal divide. Even here, I would doubt whether he counts me as one of the several who have gotten personal with him on these various 'battles', as you term it.

Btw, GST is neither a right-wing nor left-wing issue, so I have absolutely no reason to take an ideological stance on it. My stance is only that (a) GST is obviously something that needs to be implemented and is of benefit to the country (b) the Kelkar report has indicated a certain growth from 'flawless GST' and the driver of this growth is a whole bunch of factors that Kelkar has outlined, some of which are intangibles like lowered cost of compliance....so while I would definitely not dispute the increase in growth I would not be so certain about the precise quantum of increase - more so when Kelkar keeps using the qualifier 'flawless' GST in his justification for the workings.

As for your other points -

- My contention was that redistribution of taxes cannot DIRECTLY contribute to growth. My post had also mentioned that there are indirect benefits like rationalization in the conduct of business which contribute to growth (Looks like I used the word 'tangential' instead of 'indirect'. If that is what is causing you grief, then my apologies - that was my mistake.)

- As regard your point regarding retail prices, please do spend some time with the Kelkar report. There is a whole chapter that talks of effect of GST on prices, and details out which items would increase in price and which would decrease. Agricultural commodities and services btw are specifically mentioned as ones that would see a price rise.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

somnath wrote:
RajeshA wrote:Probably because India is still so much in the beginning of its retail evolution, that India does not realize the downsides of a fully-developed organized retail market. It is unprecedented joblessness
And this definitive conclusion is based on?

Why dont you go through that ICRIER study - it has the data, the assumptions and the analysis, and critique it..That can be some basis of discussion...Otherwise, "I feel so" (or as one fellow member is so fond of saying "I drove through XYZ and therefore I know how it works") is a bit difficult to base a discussion on...
How about you going through the logic of what I said. It is not about "I feel so". It is about the logic, the common sense. It may be wrong. I don't know. I am not an economist. I just say what makes sense to me. But why don't you point it out to me.

You can perhaps give me a link to the study. I can have a look at it.

But basically I am not interested in the "data". If the data of all the various economists was always right, the world would not be going through one financial crisis after another. So if the economists want to regain trust of the world, who are mostly non-economists, that they are really capable of managing the economy and not just ruining it, how about trying the logic route, instead of the data route.

My claim is that as long as agriculture, mining, construction, cargo-handling, etc. are not heavily mechanized as one sees in the developed world, these industries can take in the jobless. When they get automated to increase efficiency, bring down costs even, then there wouldn't really be any industry left to suck up all the labor in lean times. All I said was, retail should remain one such industry to cushion the impact of joblessness in other areas. Of course the mantra is always, we need to create more industry, retrain labor, make them more skilled, etc. but the growth can just as well be jobless growth.

Instead of giving a few pointers about what I may be missing in my view, you start telling me "data", "data", "data"! Data needs respect, which it doesn't really enjoy at the moment. One variable missing in the data, and you reach all the wrong conclusions.

Give me logic. Data doesn't impress me.
somnath
BRF Oldie

Post by somnath »

RajeshA wrote:You can perhaps give me a link to the study. I can have a look at it.
I had referenced it in the first post on the issue..
I will only reference the most authoritative study on the issue - the ICRIER analysis, commissioned by GOI to study exactly this..
http://siadipp.nic.in/policy/icrier_report_27052008.pdf
(Refer to Page 7 for the Main findings)..
Its not just "data", there is an enormous amount of "logic" too!
RajeshA wrote:It is about the logic, the common sense. It may be wrong. I don't know.I am not an economist. I just say what makes sense to me. But why don't you point it out to me.
About the logic, Amit's made some strenuous efforts to point out, I did (a lot less strenuous :) ) ones..Basically, in a growing (and inefficient) market, efficiencies squeezed out act as an "additive" effect to the market (its true even for slower or stagnant market, but thats a different topic)...
RajeshA wrote:My claim is that as long as agriculture, mining, construction, cargo-handling, etc. are not heavily mechanized as one sees in the developed world, these industries can take in the jobless. When they get automated to increase efficiency, bring down costs even, then there wouldn't really be any industry left to suck up all the labor in lean times
Something similar was quoted by the Left when we started computerisation/ATMs in banks 25 years ago...It went ahead - compare the total employment created in the banking sector since then...It would be similar for retail as well - basically, as the system gets more efficient, there is more surplus, more investments and more jobs are created as a result..
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Arjun wrote:Amitji, and what conclusions might these be? I am curious ! 8)
Like I said what I feel doesn't matter to anyone but myself. And I'd like to keep out those feelings from the discussion.
I happen to be strongly right-wing liberal on economic, political and social issues.
Good for you!
Btw, GST is neither a right-wing nor left-wing issue, so I have absolutely no reason to take an ideological stance on it.
Your instinct is right. GST is too important to be a political issue. However, rather unfortunately it has become a political hot potato. To think otherwise is to be delusional.
...so while I would definitely not dispute the increase in growth I would not be so certain about the precise quantum of increase - more so when Kelkar keeps using the qualifier 'flawless' GST in his justification for the workings.
Actually IMO you are barking up the wrong tree when you try to fix the actual quantum of growth that will come from GST. Kelkar himself gives a very wide range (in terms of GDP growth his range is very wide). The whole idea is that GST will allow pan Indian movement of goods and services without being stopped at state borders. And so resource rich states would benefit as would those whose people are the most entrepreneurial. In short a good tax regime ushered in by GST would act as lubricant by reducing the cost of doing business. After that the actual growth will depend on a host of other factors like global economic condition and such. Suffice to say given the same conditions (do note I dislike the use of latin phrases!) there will be more economic growth in a GST regime than what we have now.

- My contention was that redistribution of taxes cannot DIRECTLY contribute to growth. My post had also mentioned that there are indirect benefits like rationalization in the conduct of business which contribute to growth (Looks like I used the word 'tangential' instead of 'indirect'. If that is what is causing you grief, then my apologies - that was my mistake.)
You miss the point (and, please nevermind what you think Somnath said or not, let your POV stand on its own). GST was never meant to be direct engine to push the up GDP growth. It is meant to ease or reduce the cost of doing business and this would then effect an improvement in GDP growth.
- As regard your point regarding retail prices, please do spend some time with the Kelkar report. There is a whole chapter that talks of effect of GST on prices, and details out which items would increase in price and which would decrease. Agricultural commodities and services btw are specifically mentioned as ones that would see a price rise.
Boss, let's just say I think over my post and do my homework before hitting the submit button. That's why my post count is so low. :)

I think you need to re-read the report's comments on agricultural prices. Let me put it here:
7.27 Further, the terms of trade can also be expected to improve in favour of agriculture vis-a-vis manufactured goods. The prices of agricultural goods would increase between 0.61 and 1.18 percent whereas the overall prices of all manufacturing sector would decline between 1.22 and 2.53 percent. Consequently, the terms of trade will move in favour of agriculture between 1.9 to 3.8 percent.

7.28 The increase in agricultural prices would benefit millions of farmers in India. Similarly, the urban poor will also benefit from new employment opportunities. With regard to the food crops the poor would continue to remain secured through the public distribution system. The prices of many other consumer goods are expected to decline. These include sugar; beverages; cotton textiles; wool, silk and synthetic fibre textiles; and textile products and wearing apparel.
Now you'll notice that Kelkar says the prices of agri goods would increase by a certain percentage point and by this he implies that more money would go to the hands of millions of farmers. That doesn't necessarily mean that you'd be paying extra at the shop. It could also mean that middle men, shop owners and other folks hanging at various parts of the supply chain will have to give more money to the farmers who produce the primary goods. And besides he adds that the prices of many consumer agricultural goods would go down, it is not as if there will be an across the board increase in prices of every agricultural goods.

But again this not the important point which Kelkar makes. The important point is, again that there will be more money in the hands of farmers. And if you do a cursory look at the Indian economy you would find that the biggest consumers who drive consumption are not the suave, sophisticated middle class who know their political leanings but farmers. That's where demand generation will happen and along with the lower cost of capital (which again Kelkar mentions) will result in more consumption because higher demand would be complimented with lower cost of production.

Now with all the above, I would point to an earlier comment which you made, which I didn't agree with:
Cheaper prices is not a given from GST...there are several competing factors at play. For example prices of agricultural goods would go up. There is an an entire chapter in Kelkar's report that focuses on which items would see a price increase and which ones a price decrease. Kelkar himself is not making the claim that average cost of goods will go down as a result of GST.
This is what Kelkar claims:
7.37 To conclude, the implications of a switch over to the ‘flawless’ GST recommended by us are indeed far-reaching. Every stakeholder stands to gain. This has the potential to transform not only the tax system in the country but also the way we organise and do business.
Notice the disconnect, that I was pointing to?

And yes Kelkar also said this:
10.9 The introduction of the GST should be viewed as the last mile in the reform of the indirect tax system of this country initiated in 1986 with the introduction of the MODVAT. The present system of taxes on goods and services is an outcome of a gradual approach to tax reform over the last 23 years. Consequent to this approach, the country has undoubtedly lost out on potentially higher economic growth, higher real wage rates, fiscal consolidation and consumer welfare. All stakeholders other than the oligarchs, both within and outside the system, stand to gain from a swift comprehensive changeover to the GST. The multitude of the poor will gain from this reform measure more than any other stakeholder. To the extent the switchover is staggered, the potential gains from the comprehensive GST would remain unrealised thereby adversely impacting the poor. We therefore, recommend that all taxes on goods and services, whether levied by the Centre or the States, should be subsumed in the GST in the very first year of its introduction.
I'm really appalled by the sheer cussedness of the opposition to GST.

I wonder, is the opposition driven by the oligarchs, whom Kelkar mentions? I can't help but remember things like the Bombay Club from the early 1990s. Is history repeating itself?

Sorry for the long post.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Amit,

Didn't realize the minefield I had stepped into with my comments ! Clearly you feel strongly on this subject....I am also quite surprised to hear that there is active opposition to the concept of GST.

I was reacting to what I saw as faulty logic in Somnath's explanation, but that was a purely technical point and does not imply I am opposed to GST conceptually.

GST and its benefits is a little too 'micro' (in the sense of micro-economics) for my taste - so would not even be up my alley in terms of interest.

I will say that I am far more interested in seeing reforms that directly free up the Indian entrepreneur / open up new industries / are oriented towards ensuring Indian leadership in an industry. So pension reform, labour laws, ensuring Indian dominance in services / manufacturing / agriculture are themes that interest me tremendously....

While one can argue about the precise quantum of growth increase that GST brings in - that is really an academic discussion; & I reiterate that I see no reason why GST should not be implemented at the earliest.
somnath
BRF Oldie

Post by somnath »

Amit,

Good post.A couple of observations though..
amit wrote:GST was never meant to be direct engine to push the up GDP growth. It is meant to ease or reduce the cost of doing business and this would then effect an improvement in GDP growth
In fact it is...GST is akin to incorporating an FTA "within India"..Just as an FTA/RTA is expected to raise overall levels of trade as its primary objective, the primary objective of GST is to push up GDP...If you look at the approach of VK, the "rates" are a derivative of that objective...They have gone about solving for the "simplest" structure, and then arriving at various levels of "revenue neutral rates" and slabs...Of course there is also an assumption (a very fair one), that when growth picks up, tax collections will go up as well, and hence it would yield more taxes, ceteris paribus (using the latin expression :wink: )..
amit wrote:And if you do a cursory look at the Indian economy you would find that the biggest consumers who drive consumption are not the suave, sophisticated middle class who know their political leanings but farmers. That's where demand generation will happen and along with the lower cost of capital (which again Kelkar mentions) will result in more consumption because higher demand would be complimented with lower cost of production
Thats dependent on the product really..So something like autos, which is expected to reap benefits out of GST, isnt really a "farmer" product...But the really critical point is about improving "terms of trade" in favour of the farmer - which directly impacts consumption..

Lastly, about which states will benefit..
amit wrote:nd so resource rich states would benefit as would those whose people are the most entrepreneurial.
It really depends on where these "states" are today on indirect taxes...If their rates are pegged higher than the blended GST rates, immediately they will tend to lose...Also, states with a concentration of final "assemblies" sourcing a very high component (of the value added) as intermediates from other (lower taxed) states will perhap tend to lose...The Centre has proposed a "cash transfer" for the identified "losers" for a fixed period to help them tide over...Seems that some of the more advanced states (like Gujarat) could lose while Bihar can gain - explains the relative stance taken by the CMs! :wink:

Over the medium term of course, it should balance out...
sugriva
BRFite
Location: Exposing the uber communist luddites masquerading as capitalists

Post by sugriva »

^^^^
Agree with the thought of GST being an internal FTA. Over time there should be more consumption and production leading to an increase in GDP numbers also.
somnath
BRF Oldie

Post by somnath »

Nice one on the impending credit policy by (who else!) Surjit Bhalla...

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/they- ... t/820148/0
The RBI might also want to pause and look at what it has done to date. It has relentlessly raised interest rates in the blind belief that it is the only policy in town. It has stubbornly refused to acknowledge that inflation, especially in a globalised world, can often be supply-determined. If so, then raising the repo rates might look good to the birds, but is not necessarily good policy. All in all, a humble pause, and a wait and watch policy is what will constitute monetary leadership.
Bang on...Was he reading my posts on BRF! :wink:
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... start=1080
Naah, just joking...
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Arjun wrote:Amit,

Didn't realize the minefield I had stepped into with my comments ! Clearly you feel strongly on this subject....I am also quite surprised to hear that there is active opposition to the concept of GST.
No worries boss!

Remember even if the discussion gets a little feisty we're on the same side, that is we want what we perceive to be good for India. :)

Surprised at opposition to GST? You don't have to look far, just browse through this thread (of course I'm not implying your previous posts but those by others).
Last edited by amit on 21 Jul 2011 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

somnath wrote:Amit,

Good post.A couple of observations though..
GST was never meant to be direct engine to push the up GDP growth. It is meant to ease or reduce the cost of doing business and this would then effect an improvement in GDP growth
In fact it is...GST is akin to incorporating an FTA "within India"..Just as an FTA/RTA is expected to raise overall levels of trade as its primary objective, the primary objective of GST is to push up GDP...If you look at the approach of VK, the "rates" are a derivative of that objective...They have gone about solving for the "simplest" structure, and then arriving at various levels of "revenue neutral rates" and slabs...Of course there is also an assumption (a very fair one), that when growth picks up, tax collections will go up as well, and hence it would yield more taxes, ceteris paribus (using the latin expression :wink: )..
Et tu, Brute? :wink:

Somnath I agree with your FTA analogy for GST. However, what I meant by the term "direct engine to push up GDP growth" I meant actual investment in new factories and infrastrucutre et al which can have an immediate impact on GDP numbers.

If you look at the issue from this perspective GST as with the case of FTA just facilitates the conditions which make such investment possible and also creates an economic environment whereby maximum benefit is derived from such investment in terms of its effect on GDP numbers.
Thats dependent on the product really..So something like autos, which is expected to reap benefits out of GST, isnt really a "farmer" product...But the really critical point is about improving "terms of trade" in favour of the farmer - which directly impacts consumption..
Your right about the auto industry but what I was talking about is the macro increase in consumption across the industry. Due to their sheer numbers farmers would, in a situation where they get more money in their hands, outspend the middle class and rich - not on expensive goods like cars but things like cycles, motorcycles, radios, TVs etc. Their total cumulative spending would be much more.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

somnath wrote:
RajeshA wrote:My claim is that as long as agriculture, mining, construction, cargo-handling, etc. are not heavily mechanized as one sees in the developed world, these industries can take in the jobless. When they get automated to increase efficiency, bring down costs even, then there wouldn't really be any industry left to suck up all the labor in lean times
Something similar was quoted by the Left when we started computerisation/ATMs in banks 25 years ago...It went ahead - compare the total employment created in the banking sector since then...It would be similar for retail as well - basically, as the system gets more efficient, there is more surplus, more investments and more jobs are created as a result..
Well the example is not really valid, because it is not a question of losing workers due to more computerization. An industry can grow, as banking did and create more jobs, where employees can do something else. It is about losing out on self-employment opportunities. Banking as such was not one such industry. Retail is.

I am not talking about joblessness as such, but about loss of self-employment in an industry. When lean times come, some industry needs to be able to support all those who become unemployed, or the state has to put the unemployed on the dole! So what is it going to be? One reserved industry or Dole? Where is the income security going to come from?

You're escaping from this choice, by simply saying there are not going to be any lean times. In the developed world, one sees that that is not true. There can be lean times.

You're failing to address the need for an industry which retains some extra capacity for employment at short notice, when the general economy is in recession.

The example is that when one has some reserves, a piggy-bank, money that is to be used only when the times are hard, perhaps when one loses one's job. Then one needs money and one taps into that reserve. Same case with a country. Another example is that of having a reserve army when war breaks out. Then one needs soldiers, and one can tap into this pool.

Where are the "job reserves" for an economy going to be when one needs to tap into it for jobs?

What developed countries do in such a situation is, they increase public sector funding and start public infrastructure projects using huge Stimulus packages. To some extent it is to kick-start the economy, but more importantly it is to rope in the galloping unemployment rate. Often that is insufficient. Simply because at a time when the focus is on job creation, the industry that gets the money is still tuned to efficiency, and as such employers would not wish to hire so many. So there is mostly jobless growth. If the country, already has an unenviable public debt, such stimulus packages do not really help.

In such a situation of recession, the best thing would be if some industry could suck up the unemployed providing them with work, without any government intervention. As companies are not too keen on taking on workers during this time, the preference should be for self-employment. Moreover, such an industry should not have high demands on the skill-set of the workers, and a basic skill-set should suffice.

Either the state can save itself the burden of stimulus packages, or even if the government decides to intervene, it can fashion the stimulus package more towards the need of encouraging new industries, like green energy, etc. rather than in areas which contribute little to productivity but only to job creation.

As such it is important that there is always a large industry with extra capacity for self-employment generation.

By throwing the retail industry in the lap of organized retail, the state would lose its last chance for having a cushion in times of recession.

So instead of following the model of the various developed countries who have a very poor economic model for the lean times, India should instead opt for a model which caters to both the good and the bad times.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Indian morons are often better that imported morons. NAC has some imported morons!! :D

NREGA is a dogs breakfast of a solution. Legislate in haste and repent at leisure. Pawarful people are stirring the political pot, no?

In this case, since we cannot be bangalored we have been "Drèzed"

Wages of a quick fix
Thu Jul 21 2011, 00:19 hrs

The agriculture ministry has asked for NREGA to be suspended during peak farming seasons of sowing, transplantation and harvesting. NREGA has raised the cost of farming, by pushing up labour costs by as much as 40 per cent. This is particularly problematic in states like Punjab and Haryana where farmers depend on migrant labourers from poorer states in peak time.

It is, of course, difficult for the government to meet the ministry’s request as the act entitles people to employment under NREGA irrespective of the season in which they demand work. But the agriculture ministry’s request raises some fundamental questions about the design of NREGA. The public discussion about NREGA emphasises implementation problems such as leakages and the lack of social audits. However, NREGA also suffers from deeper design problems, where the solution cannot be found in better implementation.

Prior to NREGA, the minimum wage in many states was often actually higher than the market wage. The market clearing wage was the one at which labourer was willing to work and employers were willing to hire labourers. The enforcement of minimum wages was often weak and a feature of unionised labour. The informal sector and non-unionised labour market would often clear at wages that were below those set as the officially designated minimum wages. In that world, while the minimum wage was not a strong feature of Indian labour market regulation, it did not do damage. Workers accepted market wages below minimum wages when they could not do better.

With the launch of NREGA, work was made available at above market prices to many individuals who should have been engaged in improving skills and/or migrating. By paying for digging earth, NREGA took away the incentive for taking the risk of looking for work in the nearest city or in faraway states. It took away the incentive for gaining knowledge about work and the human networks required to find jobs.

Recent newspaper headlines have emphasised the design flaw in NREGA, that it contaminates the ordinary functioning of the labour market in peak season. But equally important, NREGA has the potential of making India’s structural unemployment problem a persistent one by taking away the incentive to improve skills and to migrate. In the long run no country has been able to become advanced without large-scale skills upgrade, migration and urbanisation. Problems related to urbanisation have to be faced and solved.

The lack of migration will have consequences for urban India as well. Labour shortages in low-skilled urban jobs are likely to push employers into more capital-intensive production technologies. On the other hand, a large mass of low-skilled labour will be trapped in a state of dependence on the government and politicians.

Instead of reforming labour laws and improving infrastructure, which could provide higher employment growth, the government enacted NREGA as a quick-fix solution and a vote getter. But NREGA will not solve the problem of unemployment in India: instead it is likely to create poverty traps containing millions of people who are cutoff from modern India.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

India ranked 10th in services exports.

India achieved 10th rank in export of services worldwide, while emerged as the 20th biggest merchandise exporter in 2010, according to a latest WTO report.

In 2009, the country stood at the 12th and 22nd position globally in services and goods exports, respectively.

In value terms last year, India exported services and merchandise worth $110 billion and $216 billion respectively, the 'World Trade Report 2011' said.

India's goods exports went up by 31% in 2010, helping the country to expand its market share to 1.4% from 1.2% in 2009.

According to industry experts, increasing demand for Indian goods in new markets like Latin America and Africa are helping in boosting the country's exports.

"This [improvement in India's ranking] is because our exports are doing reasonably well in new markets like Latin America, Middle East and other Asian markets. We are focusing on these markets," CRISIL Principal Economist DK Joshi said.

Apex exporters body FIEO said that the diversification of India's exports basket are also helping in increasing the shipments.

"Slowly, India's rank is going to increase...," Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO) President Ramu Deora said.

Engineering and petroleum exports contribute about 40% in the total exports. "Earlier, there contribution was low," Deora said.

New Delhi's services exports share in the world exports increased to 3% in 2010 from 2.6% in 2009.

Further the report said, globally China ranked first in terms of merchandise exports followed by the US and Germany. In services export, the US is on the top slot followed by Germany and UK.
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

^^ According to the report India's services exports were $ 110 b, whereas imports were $ 117 b!!! Same fig. is $ 278 b and $ 252 b for China(including HK).

For merchandise exports in calendar year 2011:
  • .........Value($ b) .........% increase
    jan ...........20.6 ...........32.5
    feb ...........23.6 ...........49.8
    mar ...........29.1 ...........43.8
    apr ...........23.8 ...........34.4
    may ...........25.9 ...........57
    jun ...........29.2 ...........46.4

Total ...........152.2 ...........44.0
http://www.wto.org/english/res_e/booksp ... rt11_e.pdf

We can very well achieve $ 280-300 b in exports this calendar year and then the spot would be 17 or 16 this year, up from last year's 20, and could be no. 12 in imports with nearly $ 400-410 b of imports.

Itching to cross $ 30 b one month exports.. :twisted:
Last edited by Akshut on 22 Jul 2011 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

One of the more palatable articles from the racist rag. A grudging respect for the $2 Trillion economy is visible.

As Akshut posted, it is hard to believe but at this rate our export will double by 2014 and be in $600-$700 Billion in exports. In terms of sheer size our 'lack luster' manufacturing sector of 25% is now a $500 billion Behemoth.

http://www.economist.com/node/18986387? ... 7&fsrc=rss
And despite outsiders’ desire for more orderly progress and their endless whingeing about the roads, India’s chaotic model of development has rewritten the rule books. Compared with that of East Asian tigers, it often seems back to front. Services have boomed and manufacturing has stagnated as a share of output (see chart 2), while most people still work informally and live rurally. India has world-class information-technology exporters but imports lots of fridges; it has 15 times more phone subscribers than taxpayers; and in the coming years most Indians are likelier to be connected to a national, biometric, electronic identity-system than to a sewer.

But overall, the formula seems to work. It has yielded rapid growth for two decades and India has sailed through the financial crisis that has battered the West. Growth has transformed living standards and cut poverty (see table), although there is some controversy over how to measure the latter. Middle-class folk say their children laugh when told what it was like before 1991, when phones took years to get, soap burned your skin and red tape suffocated the economy. Back then, the leading founder of Infosys, a big technology firm, has recalled, importing a computer would take about three years and require 50 trips to Delhi to get official approval.
That may be good enough if the foundations of growth are strong enough. Assessing those foundations is not easy to do neatly, but demography, at least, is in India’s favour, with the ratio of workers to dependants forecast to rise until 2030 or so, in marked contrast to China. Over the past decade demography has added about 1.7 percentage points to the growth rate of GDP per person, reckon Shekhar Aiyar and Ashoka Mody, of the IMF. This boost will not get much bigger but it will last for a couple of decades. Better still, because workers save more than non-workers, India’s saving rate is rising towards East Asian levels and should provide more domestic funds for investment. Taken together, more workers and more capital explain about half of the recent growth rates of about 8%, estimates Chetan Ahya, of Morgan Stanley. A recent OECD study put the proportion at three-quarters.
How bad would it be if the Indian economy could grow at only, say, 7% a year rather than 10%? Certainly, the economy would have thinner safety buffers. But in other respects it might not be too shabby. Growth would have to be much slower than that before India’s public-debt dynamics became a worry. The ratio of debt to GDP is 66% and has been falling despite a public-sector deficit of about 8%. The vast majority of the debt is domestically owned, so a wobble from foreign investors would be manageable. A recent improvement in the current-account deficit, thanks to surging exports, suggests that India could be less reliant on foreign funds than in the past. And its reserves of gold and foreign exchange amount to $311 billion.

Might lower growth hurt the banking industry? “Fundamentally the reason why bad debts haven’t built up is because the economy is doing so well,” says the boss of one lender. A slowdown would mean more sour loans, both from infrastructure and property projects and from small firms, he says. Even so, like most bank bosses he does not think there is a systemic problem lurking in banks’ balance-sheets.

Indeed, compared with a fragile world economy, an India on autopilot could chug along quite happily, growing faster than most other countries. The government would carry on acting like a tinkering housekeeper with a habit of pinching loose change. Plenty of new firms would still triumph despite the red tape and most people would be better off. There would be fewer roads and more poor people than there might otherwise be, but the opportunity cost of the forfeited reforms would be a subject confined to scholarly debate. All that would still be a vast improvement on how things once were. Yet it would be a curious finale for the politicians and officials now in power who pushed through the reforms of 1991. Twenty years ago they said the yardstick against which India should be measured was its potential. On that measure, there is much to do.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

70% on the dole. Nice.
Lack of jobs is the real issue.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 52530.html
India will need to spend between 2.5 trillion rupees ($56.17 billion) and 3 trillion rupees ($67.41 billion) on food subsidy and to strengthen its supply mechanism over the next two years as the government prepares to enact a food security law, Food Minister K.V Thomas said.

The law, which will guarantee cheap foodgrains to 70% of India's more than 1.2 billion people, will lead to a likely subsidy expenditure of 949.87 billion rupees during the first year, Mr. Thomas said late Tuesday.

He said India will require around 60 million metric tons of foodgrains for supplies a year under the proposed law. The grains will likely be priced at half the government's procurement costs, Mr. Thomas said.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup! What did I tell you. The growth rate will have to be squeezed to manage inflation & the deficit. Hope all the NREGA backers are thrilled now.

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2011/0 ... t=hs&or=bn
The Indian government, battling inflation, lowered its annual economic growth forecast to about 8.6 percent from about 9 percent earlier.

The Finance Ministry also predicted inflation would remain in the 6 percent to 7 percent range until end of this fiscal year in March, the Times of India reported, quoting a ministry note. Inflation currently is running about 9 percent.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRT to Dreze, he thinks he has the peoples welfare at heart, but he has no love for the nation and does not consider the consequences to the country. It just never enters his frame of reference that he could bankrupt the nation cos he cannot not love the nation. He would be happy if the Indian union were destroyed in exchange for 1 year of rice for all. Snake.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Theo_Fidel wrote:One of the more palatable articles from the racist rag. A grudging respect for the $2 Trillion economy is visible.
As Akshut posted, it is hard to believe but at this rate our export will double by 2014 and be in $600-$700 Billion in exports. In terms of sheer size our 'lack luster' manufacturing sector of 25% is now a $500 billion Behemoth.
http://www.economist.com/node/18986387? ... 7&fsrc=rss
Total Merchandise and Service export by 2015 crosses 1T and the double i next 5 years . Manufacturing also crosses T plus Mark and we are out of woods. The racist rags of Con-mists are fuudus but no fools. They know whats in the offing.All the Yconomic numbers regarding India will strart with cool T.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

^

That could be a reality soon. But the bigger challenge for India is to spend that wealth wisely creating permanent growth and eco-economy instead of wasting it on another round of dole-tapism that INC-gang-of-4 and [sic] secular-commies are trying to create.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Theo_Fidel wrote:70% on the dole. Nice.
Lack of jobs is the real issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRT to Dreze, he thinks he has the peoples welfare at heart, but he has no love for the nation and does not consider the consequences to the country. It just never enters his frame of reference that he could bankrupt the nation cos he cannot not love the nation. He would be happy if the Indian union were destroyed in exchange for 1 year of rice for all. Snake.

Dreze, along with a host of other NGOs, is a plant to sent to do the very thing that you speak of.

Linking NREGA with the cost of living index will become a major self perpetuating drain and will intentionally suck productive labor out of the system.

The attendant inflation and other cost increasing consequences of the NREGA will act like a sea anchor on the economy to drag it down.

Russia had almost a similiar sceneraio before she broke up. Of course, we will take some years getting there if we tread the path chosen for us by these NAC scoundrels. :)
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Prem wrote: Total Merchandise and Service export by 2015 crosses 1T and the double i next 5 years . Manufacturing also crosses T plus Mark and we are out of woods. The racist rags of Con-mists are fuudus but no fools. They know whats in the offing.All the Yconomic numbers regarding India will strart with cool T.
Careful Prem, lest thou be accused of celebrating too soon and extrapolating unreasonably only by those with superior TFTA comprehensions compared to our SDRE ones. In general, it makes (common) sense to add qualifiers to such projections only, lest it attract the raingawds to the desi parade...

Besides, ain't it a testament to how much the USD has been devalued by fiat that even boor Des is talking trillions only nowadays... /devil's advocate act over.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

Hey people. whats the status of the food security bill ? who is supporting it ? Hopefully bjp et al wont let it pass.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

[
quote="Hari SeldonCareful Prem, lest thou be accused of celebrating too soon and extrapolating unreasonably only by those with superior TFTA comprehensions compared to our SDRE ones. In general, it makes (common) sense to add qualifiers to such projections only, lest it attract the raingawds to the desi parade...
Besides, ain't it a testament to how much the USD has been devalued by fiat that even boor Des is talking trillions only nowadays... /devil's advocate act over
:D
It has already happened many time before and wait is worth to watch it again. After all no good news about Indian econpmy shall go uncondemned till it pass the TFTA mental Hafta of I know best folks. Wonder why any good of India gaining strength makes them uncomfortable. May be belief shattering Indian strength =Indic strength causes so much takleef.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Thought I'd post this. So much for all the PDS and NREGA programs.

We are not going to fix this as long as girl children and women have last priority on food. We need to work more on reforming society and yes that means you and I as well. The men here must be urged to make it a point to eat last privately and publicly. At weddings and parties men should make a conscious decision to eat last. This is something I consciously do, esp. when in a rural society. Examples matter.

SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

A lot comes from the womenfolks themselves. My dad always makes sure we all sit and eat together. I have seen elderly women not wanting to sit and eat with all because, their main focus is if their men and children had enough to eat. Typically, what happens is the children and men end up binge eating not mindful if the women have enough food. The woman willingly make that sacrifice for their children and men relatives. Very sad. Fortunately, my dad and my insistence has almost banished that when we eat. In some family circles, the women are shy to eat in front of others. Seriously. Many have their own reasons. In our community, in the weddings thee is no men first women next concept, I guess it is different in urban vs rural; and different communities.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://www.psfk.com/2011/07/monocolumn- ... ities.html
Monocolumn: India Deregulates Grocery Retail For Bigger Business Opportunities
With global retailers turning the screws and consumers demanding more choice, the Indian government is finally considering removing restrictions on supermarket chains, potentially paving the way for an overhaul of India’s food networks. This is good news for a country where, despite millions of hungry people, large amounts of produce goes to waste.
India may have a healthy growth rate, an expanding economy and ever-growing number of millionaires and billionaires – but food retail largely remains medieval, dominated by small, family-run businesses where customers must select from a limited range of dusty essential groceries mostly kept behind a counter.But with a retail market worth €301bn, many foreign companies are angling to get a slice. Walmart, Tesco and Carrefour all have a presence in India, but can’t operate under their original brands due to severely protectionist Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) laws, instead having to form joint ventures with Indian partners.
“They have all entered through cash-and-carry [wholesale], given that FDI is allowed through this route,” says Anand Ramanathan, a retail expert with KPMG India. “The Indian partner brands tend to look after the front end, while the foreign brand looks after the back end.”
Walmart operates in India as Bharti Walmart, with stores mainly in Punjab state, while Tesco is in partnership with Trent, the retail arm of corporate giant Tata.In recent months, however, there have been encouraging signs that the Indian government is likely to deregulate the retail sector. Earlier in the year, a committee formed to explore deregulation found in favour of it, and the commerce and industry minister Jyotiraditiya Scinda said ministers were preparing to present a report to cabinet.But authorities are aware that any such move would inevitably lead to widespread social tension as the chains will put many small grocery stores out of business, although some say there is enough space for both to exist.“There are indications they will [deregulate] in a phased manner to minimise social unrest,” says Ramanathan. “What’s not clear is when they will do it. It could be in three months, six months or more than a year.”There are enormous benefits to India in doing this, particularly in sorting out supply chain and logistics issues. Currently up to 60 per cent of crops can go to waste, rotting before even reaching the consumer – thanks to a lack of refrigeration and also because produce can change hands up to 12 times before reaching the store shelves.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

SwamyG wrote:A lot comes from the womenfolks themselves. My dad always makes sure we all sit and eat together. I have seen elderly women not wanting to sit and eat with all because, their main focus is if their men and children had enough to eat. Typically, what happens is the children and men end up binge eating not mindful if the women have enough food. The woman willingly make that sacrifice for their children and men relatives. Very sad. Fortunately, my dad and my insistence has almost banished that when we eat. In some family circles, the women are shy to eat in front of others. Seriously. Many have their own reasons. In our community, in the weddings thee is no men first women next concept, I guess it is different in urban vs rural; and different communities.
Saarji, one of the reason is practicality. In most of the homes, food is served while it is being cooked unlike western world. So if the Lady of the house sits along with rest of the family to partake food, it creates Logistics problems in serving and taking care of other needs.
About Girl child not being fed, I can't imagine parents discriminating between kids maybe because this is something I haven't seen or faced (Just like eve teasing or groping).
Abhijeet
BRFite

Post by Abhijeet »

Theo_Fidel wrote:Image
This image is a poignant example of why it is indeed too early to celebrate.

What is different about India that makes it such a dominant force in the field of undernourished children? Surely there are plenty of other male-dominated societies -- yet China and Brazil hardly show up in this map. Those darned Chinese are always cooking their stats so they probably have hidden cities full of malnourished kids -- but say Brazil? Or Indonesia? What makes those societies not as susceptible to under-feeding their kids as our devoted to children, putting women on a pedestal Indian culture?
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Indian diaspora tops remittance list
MUMBAI: Just how much do the 27 million global desis, scattered across 190 countries around the world, contribute to the Indian economy? World Bank figures show a dramatic increase of almost 162% in the remittance that India receives from overseas Indians over the last eight years. While India received nearly $21 billion from overseas Indians in 2003, the figure jumped to $55 billion in 2010.

According to S Parasuraman, director of the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, money is increasingly being remitted to India from educated Indians who have temporarily moved out of the country for work. "Those who earlier left the country for the US often settled down there for good and did not send money back home," said Parasuraman. "Earlier, the money coming back to India was largely from poor people who migrated to Gulf countries, and sent a large portion of their income back home," he added. ...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Brazil's per capita income is a lot higher than India. they have a GDP equal to or slightly bigger than India and only around pakistan sized population.

Indonesia is showing up on that map.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

social factors have a good deal more to do with our under nutrtion than per capita. I mean we eat polished rise like basmati. That removes all the essential vitamins. And we have poor cooking techniques. Even Ambani can be mal nourished.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

While we are in tizzy over the Fai/ISI episode and the dangers of Arundhati Roy, will some one out the real charlatans in our midst...
I could not make this up if tried.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Dreze ... l-/820734/

Dreze to PM: ‘PDS witnessing revival’ :rotfl:
Citing a survey of the public distribution system (PDS), former NAC member and economist Jean Dreze has asserted that the PDS system has witnessed an “impressive revival” in the country and has requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to put “the strongest possible safeguards” against the option of cash transfer of food subsidy in the proposed food security law.

“This survey points to an impressive revival of the PDS across the country. The days when up to half of the PDS grain was diverted to the open market are gone. We urge you to ensure that the National Food Security Act includes the strongest possible safeguards against a hasty transition from food entitlements to cash transfers,” wrote Dreze, along with the group of research scholars who conducted the survey, to the PM.
How does he get away with this. Can no one take him down.
If I offered grain instead of cash to my workers they would laugh at me. They always prefer cold hard cash. Lying rigged statistics.

http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... ll/443542/
A study on the Public Distribution System by a team led by National Advisory Council member and economist Jean Dreze found only 18 per cent of respondents in a survey, of 1,227 below-poverty line households over 106 villages in nine states, wanted cash in place of food under the system.

The demand for cash transfers was highest in Bihar at 54 per cent, followed by 34 per cent in Uttar Pradesh and 22 per cent in Jharkhand, where the access to PDS foodgrain was found limited. However, the study finds the purchase of rationed foodgrain was 84 per cent of the full sanctioned quota in the nine states surveyed.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Theo_Fidel wrote:While we are in tizzy over the Fai/ISI episode and the dangers of Arundhati Roy, will some one out the real charlatans in our midst...
I could not make this up if tried.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Dreze ... l-/820734/

Dreze to PM: ‘PDS witnessing revival’ :rotfl:
Citing a survey of the public distribution system (PDS), former NAC member and economist Jean Dreze has asserted that the PDS system has witnessed an “impressive revival” in the country and has requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to put “the strongest possible safeguards” against the option of cash transfer of food subsidy in the proposed food security law.

“This survey points to an impressive revival of the PDS across the country. The days when up to half of the PDS grain was diverted to the open market are gone. We urge you to ensure that the National Food Security Act includes the strongest possible safeguards against a hasty transition from food entitlements to cash transfers,” wrote Dreze, along with the group of research scholars who conducted the survey, to the PM.
How does he get away with this. Can no one take him down.
If I offered grain instead of cash to my workers they would laugh at me. They always prefer cold hard cash. Lying rigged statistics.

http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... ll/443542/
A study on the Public Distribution System by a team led by National Advisory Council member and economist Jean Dreze found only 18 per cent of respondents in a survey, of 1,227 below-poverty line households over 106 villages in nine states, wanted cash in place of food under the system.

The demand for cash transfers was highest in Bihar at 54 per cent, followed by 34 per cent in Uttar Pradesh and 22 per cent in Jharkhand, where the access to PDS foodgrain was found limited. However, the study finds the purchase of rationed foodgrain was 84 per cent of the full sanctioned quota in the nine states surveyed.
Theo Fidel, let me sum up the argument for keeping PDS going as opposed to substituting it with a cash transfer system. I must enter a caveat here. I am merely reporting what some of my contacts/acquaintances among those of a leftist pursuassion say. I have no opinion of my own and hence the hesitation to offer an opinion of my own. I have not done any research.
That said, the argument basically goes something like this. They concede that the public distribution system is ineffective. Not all those who need to be issued a ration card have been given one. On top of it, there is leakage of food grains. Weak though it is, it at least serves the needs of some section of the population.
But by far the biggest advantage is that it operates a closed loop. it is a closed loop in the sense that the Food Corporation of India or the local marketing corporation (In TN for instance, there is TN Civil Supplies Corporation) procures food grains at an administered price and put it out in the PDS system and thereby leave the prices in the market system somewhat insulated from price shocks. Those outside the PDS but needing foodgrains still manage to get some access through the market mechanism at prices that are no doubt high but still manageable.
Introduce cash transfers and by extension, a disbanding of the PDS, ration shops and civil supplies corporation infrastrcuture, you are going to unleash in the market for food grains, a demand side shock that would result in food grain prices skyrocketing.
They are aware of the argument that cash transfer triggers merely a substitution effect in that there is a fall in official procurement demand that is matched by a rise in private demand for food grains (from cash transfers). But the leftists say that this is not as simple as it sounds. Official demand can synchronised as to minimise imbalances between supply and demand in the market place. The State has all kinds hidden powers that can counter the machinations of manipulators in the grain trade. But private demand is by its very nature is unpredictable or at least an illusion of volatility can be created for speculative windfall profits to accrue to private capital. So higher prices in the absence of significant increases in overall food grain availability within the economy is inevitable. So those for whom the PDS is meant will be worse off than before.
Compounding the problem are two other factors. People don't switch their eating habits to suit crop arrivals in the market at different points in the season. It would be nice if people in TN could consume only wheat in May and June, ragi/ maize in the July to December and rice in January to May. But they want rice all through the year. If volatility in prices have to be controlled you need a vibrant market in trade in derivatives of food grains coupled with a wide and efficient network of private storehouse for food grains. So an overall increase in prices is inevitable, as the argument goes.
if in all this some kulak farmers with marketable agricultural surpluses have to settle for lower realisations, 'Why that is unfortunate. But net-net, the society is better off'. Or so the argument goes.
Now don't shoot me. I am just the messenger!
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Nandakumar,

No one is asking for the dismantling of PDS.

It is the absurd claims and refusal to try cash transfer solutions that are annoying. Speaks of an agenda.

Take a look at this report on welfare systems.
http://southasia.oneworld.net/todayshea ... re-of-poor

We spend about $100 billion on welfare programs. Many have estimated much larger numbers. If the bottom 300 million is BPL every single person would get approx $350 per year from this. This works out to about Rs 15,000 annually. A family of 5 would get Rs 45,000 annually. End of poverty right there.

It is not true that PDS grain is cheap. It is the most expensive grain in the world though distributed for free. Many studies have shown that Rs 20 grain then costs us Rs 60 extra by the time FCI & PDS get through with it. So this is Rs 80 grain that is being distributed for free. Would not the poor fools prefer Rs 80 in cold cash.

WRT inflation have you looked at the prices lately. We have raging inflation already. In my town, about 20% of the really poor have no access to PDS due to social issues. Esp. widows (usually w/ children) for some reason have a really hard time getting in. I get at least 2-3 who show up every year begging for help. My relatives tell me in the Thirunelveli area it is often up to 30% of the most destitute poor who are excluded. In essence you are punishing the most poor by inflating their food and diverting grain to the slightly better off. I don't know what to tell you, the situation on the ground is terrible. PDS is indefensible.

Take a look at the map above. Hunger in India has not reduced on jot through all this. Poverty in India has not reduced a jot. PDS was here before the economic boom but it is the boom that has slowly squeezed out the pockets of poverty. Areas with no boom remain starving and poor despite PDS. Despite that the food bill is now targeting an incredible 70% of the population. At some point we must bow to reality.

There is a place for government in stabilizing grain prices/supply. Esp. through the year as you point out. But the PDS does not do this either. Here in town rice supply runs out frequently. Many times only grain available is un-milled wheat. They still buy it, god knows what they do with it. The best way to stabilize grain prices and supply would be to build and operate concrete silos that can store grain for many years without spoilage. No signs of that plan though. We get the most expensive plastic sheets in the world instead.
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

I think that the Sonia Gandhi/NAC crowd is out to bankrupt India by shoving costly but ineffectual programs down the government's throat - destroying our financial independence.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

^ That is what I said in the previous page.

What these so-called e-con-artists are trying to do is to divert Indian wealth to ineffective and inefficient programs so they can complain over "Hindu rate of growth". These ideological ba*tards destroyed first five decades of India with their version of elitism and socialism and then blamed it on "Hindu" rate of growth. And they will do that again.

Our moorkha comprehension mans will write pages and pages on that nonsense.
RamaY wrote: That could be a reality soon. But the bigger challenge for India is to spend that wealth wisely creating permanent growth and eco-economy instead of wasting it on another round of dole-tapism that INC-gang-of-4 and [sic] secular-commies are trying to create.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Financial market volatility can return if macro conditions worsen: RBI

The banking regulator said the possibility of a delayed exit from monetary easing by advanced economies, the sovereign default risks in euro zone and the scope of rating downgrades for major economies may hit capital flows and financial markets in India.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Good article by Vikas Bajaj of NY Times. Yes, that is the way forward for India's exports.. high value, small batch, skilled inputs, strong niches . Given our physical reality (labor, roads, power, ports, general infra , where we can no way match China or emerging asia like Vietnam), that is the strategy that can transcend our limitations. That was one of the reasons why It/vity took off (STPI, no physical movement of goods across boundaries, export oriented, high value addition and moving up the value chain).

The commies and other "union bosses" who threaten "My way or no growth" can suck their thumbs and watch other more dynamic sectors whizz past while they fade into irrelevance.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I disagree. by rights India should be exporting far far more textiles than BD (which no doubts benefits from some EU quotas but still...)
its a labour intensive industry that needs good technology inputs too (chinis have made inroads into those machinery).
we should be developing both such machinery(I heard domestic suppliers were backlogged heavily hence the chinis got a slice) and producing vast amt of textiles for export.

there is NO CORNER of the economic space we should just vacate for others to occupy. India has people in large nos at all levels who need employment, whether its a manual labour who needs to work lifting bales of cloth to a guy working on advanced alloys. we cannot just vacate any seat.

high value manufacturing cannot absorb the 100s of millions less skilled people who right now have no access to such education and will not have for atleast another couple decades. they will generally get a better deal in labour intensive export sites than being worked to death in construction sites. if you look at the size and health of people in construction sites even the men are barely over 5'2" and the women mostly below 5' and frail frames...evidence of prolonged period of low nourishment in childhood and the constant slogging in the heat and dust they have to do six days a week doesnt help.

if there are infra problems they can and have been fixed atleast in the coastal regions like chennai, mumbai, gujarat, around delhi etc. we cannot achieve the commie dream of a factory in every hut with 100% even distribution in india, but we can fix the system enough to permit high levels of growth in coastal and metro zones.