Indian Economy: News and Discussion (Apr 1 2011)

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Economy: News and Discussion (Apr 1 2011)

Post by vera_k »

Who loses in this scheme?

If investors lose, won't the decision makers in LIC be liable for taking obviously poor decisions? And if this was done on instructions from the Finance Ministry, some of those officials can be prosecuted too. This is the next round of scams that will end up in the courts I think.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

hopefully the Indo-Japanese co-op thing will be like human-elf alliance in LOTR. elfs have high tech but very poor manpower which is declining.
let them provide the work and technology - we will provide the foot soldiers, centurions and horsemen.

together this alliance can take on the sauron's tower glowing with lights across the dark northern steppe.
gunjur
BRFite

Post by gunjur »

Pakistan Q1 exports to India up 3%
Total exports to India between July-September, 2011, stood at $73.871 million. (Pakistan's financial year commences from July 1.)
This is against exports of $71.825 million during the same period of previous year, according to data released today by the Commerce Ministry here.

Major growth was witnessed in exports of construction materials, including cement, which rose from $5.717 million to $10.850 million, a growth of 89.9 per cent.
This was followed by the export of fruits and fruit preparations, which increased from $19.076 million to $22.425 million , a growth of 17.6 per cent.
Is this due to push from govt(increasing imports from pakis) or market driven?
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Marten wrote:
Singha wrote:hopefully the Indo-Japanese co-op thing will be like human-elf alliance in LOTR. elfs have high tech but very poor manpower which is declining.
let them provide the work and technology - we will provide the foot soldiers, centurions and horsemen.

together this alliance can take on the sauron's tower glowing with lights across the dark northern steppe.
Note: This is my opinion and does not apply to manufacturing, only to services (inc. IT, Telecom, Infra).
Unfortunately, the Japanese do not trust anyone, and do not get the Indian style of functioning (where it gets done, but you mostly cannot expect or ask for realistic updates etc. and of course NO one wants to get in by 8.00 sharp at their desks.) Most Japanese earn twice their income through overtime (which is from 5.15 to 8.00pm). This is not available in India, so the underestimation of effort always reflects in people having to put in much later hours at the same benchmarked salaries that the Japanese are willing to pay (given that they benchmark against the non-OT pay). The resulting friction has derailed a few giants and has brought some software acquisitions to their knees.

The acceptance of India's culture by the Japanese is required first and foremost, since the almighty knows India can never conform to Japanese culture. The other thing of controlling all aspects of the business via Japanese rubber-stamps will at some point have to stop; else they will continue wondering why Indians switch jobs so soon and speak back so often! There are major cultural differences that impact the current alliances and unless there is more clarity on what folks expect and some acceptance of realistic targets, the Japanese are not going to enjoy the benefits of cheaper labour without some pain.
Another point of friction is that Japanese staff often supersede Indian staff and go on to get the top posts. Reason offered is that communication with HQ in Japan needs to happen in Japanese and hence the Japanese staff can do this better. Not sure if this is nepotism/chauvinism mixed into one or just the way the Japanese play the game.
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

^^^ I have experienced the same first hand. Our Japanese friends never seem to understand the casual morning approach we have. Anyways there is a lot we can learn from Japanese work ethics... focused lot i tell you.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

vera_k wrote:
Who loses in this scheme?

If investors lose, won't the decision makers in LIC be liable for taking obviously poor decisions? And if this was done on instructions from the Finance Ministry, some of those officials can be prosecuted too. This is the next round of scams that will end up in the courts I think.
The capital used to buy ONGC stock could have been more productively used by LIC lending it to upcoming industrial ventures etc. Once again, government playing with middle class money to appease other sections of society.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

good posts boys. the J's seem to share in the general east asian thing for "control" and "hierarchy" albeit more humane about than our C biraders. their work culture must have been no more liberal than Cheena when they were at the stage of making lower tech goods for khan back in the 30s 40s and 60s when J was known for its cheap household and electrical goods like radios.

still, they finally seem willing to play ball at the macro level given the lack of other options and Cheena pushing them around. Soko is another capital rich country whose manufacturing could benefit from macro level investments and policies by Seoul in favour of India.

the Euros seem more comfortable with using eastern europe and Khan continues to exploit Mehico and central america...plus both these entities EU and Khan come with several riders. khan actually has its own internal underclass of 100 mil to exploit for low cost manufacturing first.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

chola wrote: We do not have world class cellphone, auto or auto parts industries. If we do we would not be running an account deficit. Those industries would be competitive on the world's stage like Japan, Taiwan and South Korea who maintain massive forex surpluses on exactly those industries.

This is why using a depreciated currency is important. Japan, Taiwan and South Korea all developed on a depreciated currency until the day their industries have caught up and were able to innovate.

partly disagree ..

We do have a pretty decent auto-parts Industry that does good export business too.. It is projected to grow to 110 bn by the end of the decade.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/india ... bn/673243/

Even though 60% of the cell phones sold in India are imported , local manufacturing is rapidly growing.. We have plenty of Indian companies , which may not yet have reached the quality of samsung or sony ericson , but will eventually do so...

http://www.electronicsb2b.com/manufactu ... uring-hub/

Anyway , the bottom line , there is nothing that can be done in the short term to use a depreciated currency as leverage for making manufacturing more competitive ..So RBI seems to be doing the right thing..

I don't agree at all with the Indian policy makers.. If was doing it , I would have done it differently... But you can't accuse RBI of jumping the gun in this case...they have no other option.. And there interventions are not all that intensive even..
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Singha wrote:still, they finally seem willing to play ball at the macro level given the lack of other options and Cheena pushing them around. Soko is another capital rich country whose manufacturing could benefit from macro level investments and policies by Seoul in favour of India.
From experience with SoKo in Chennai I have to say they are a much better fit. After some early unpleasantness. Somehow the Korea/Tamil fit has been excellent. Culturally we are very similar.

The first thing is the SoKo's have settled in Chennai family and all. There is about 5000 of them in Chennai and they have their own little colony. Their kids go to school here and several Korean restaurants have now opened. Essentially they have come to stay. And Tamils have welcomed them. Both have very similar work ethics and are concerned about being disrespected. Saving face is important for both. Both will work like dogs to save face and earn respect. Both Maha & Andhra have been trying to steal the SoKo groups but there is a reluctance to move from Chennai.

There is still a problem with upper management promotion but a lot more Indians now work high up in Korean companies. It helps that the Chennai portion is often the most profitable part of the Korean conglomerate.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

There were plenty of excellent posts, but some were a little too cynical..
hat is the sort of scale even that cheap plastic toy requires. That particular toy is being manufactured in the 100 million per year range. When you manufacture at such scale you can invest in the very latest technology and QC process.

I don't know much about toy manufacturing ..Been a while since I last played with toys . And take a few years before I have kids who play with toys.. But there are several industries in which Panda cant even dream of matching India.. Pharma for instance..
Reason why Panda has been able to manufacture volumes of stuff is because the gov't has a remarkable ability to mobilise all resources and manpower and get them to work..
ndian manufacturing is too fragmented to deal with such volume. Hence is unable to generate the technology required.
Definitely true in some cases .. Let me tell you something about medical equipment manufacturing. We import 70%+ of high end equipment.. In my dads hospital hardly 15-20% of the high end stuff is India manufactured.

There is no Indian company that manufactures the CT-Scan or the MRI..Though there are a few that manufacture the ultra sound machine ,and the digital x-ray machine..

Now take MRI for instance..Classic example of fragmentation IMHO...

The heart of the MRI machine is the super conducting electromagnet ... That is manufactured by companies of people in India .. In fact I was able to trace a company that supplies this to a leading MRI manufacturing company..

A plenty of coding work for the MRI image acquisition software takes place in India.

Practically all the sub components of MRI can be manufactured in India. Many of these companies supply these components to western manufacturers. Yet no Indian company manufactures MRI..

A side effect of the small scale Industry / cottage Industry IMHO...

There is plenty of lower end stuff in the health care field that needs to be imported.. Take for instance the Piles stapler.. Patent is lend by Ethicon - A fully owned subsidiary of J & J.. The device was pioneered by an Austrian surgeon by the name of Longo..

The ethicon device costs 25k INR ... It is disposable ,single use. Average surgeons charge 50-60k for the operation.. Half the amount goes into the device.. 50-60K is not affordable for the bottom 30% of the Indian populace.

No Indian company manufactures the device.

But there are cheap Chinese clones available for less than 5000 INR..They look exactly like the original. I would rather not use them .I Know a guy who used chinese clones and the gun got stuck intra-op..

ORIGINAL ETHICON STAPLER

CHEAP CHINESE CLONCE

notice how similar they look? Only difference is the chinese language markings in the clone which can be seen the above photo..

Why does not Indian industry too copy ? In some segment it does.. In an exhibition I requested a manufacturer to make some equipment needed for coronary angioplasty.. He is in s segment which would make him easy to make it. He said that even if he makes western quality products , there is no guarantee that they would sell.

Docs would go for Indian products only if they are a lot cheaper than western counterparts. Lot means 1/4 or 1/5th cheaper..that is difficult to achieve...

Companies like J&J (Which has an annual profit of 16 BILLION USD ) have docs in there firm grip.. They ll sponsor free foreign holidays and a lot of goodies for docs like consulting fee , so that docs continue using there products..

It would be very difficult for Indian comapnies to compete with such behemoths...
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

Theo_Fidel wrote:
Singha wrote:still, they finally seem willing to play ball at the macro level given the lack of other options and Cheena pushing them around. Soko is another capital rich country whose manufacturing could benefit from macro level investments and policies by Seoul in favour of India.
From experience with SoKo in Chennai I have to say they are a much better fit. After some early unpleasantness. Somehow the Korea/Tamil fit has been excellent. Culturally we are very similar.

The first thing is the SoKo's have settled in Chennai family and all. There is about 5000 of them in Chennai and they have their own little colony. Their kids go to school here and several Korean restaurants have now opened. Essentially they have come to stay. And Tamils have welcomed them. Both have very similar work ethics and are concerned about being disrespected. Saving face is important for both. Both will work like dogs to save face and earn respect. Both Maha & Andhra have been trying to steal the SoKo groups but there is a reluctance to move from Chennai.

There is still a problem with upper management promotion but a lot more Indians now work high up in Korean companies. It helps that the Chennai portion is often the most profitable part of the Korean conglomerate.
my daughter's best friend here in massa land is a korean girl.

when we were thinking r2i we checked vael's billabong on ECR and it had a ton of korean kids.

amma/appa is the same in korean -- literally it sounds exactly the same!
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

This govt. should quit or carry out the reforms it is promising. The option to limp till 2014 just because Mamta is not co-operating will prove out to be very costly for the Indian economy in the long run. I hope the current volatility is not going to get worse in the future. A falling Rupee, slowing growth, stubborn inflation, high interest rates, manufacturing sector that isn't growing, rising fiscal deficit, complete policy paralysis are the biggest threat to National Security.

Video Crisis in Europe, ripple in India: Time for austerity?

Crisis in UPA-II, ripple in the economy, time to act or quit!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

is that ethicon stapler thing supposed to go up the musharaff and do its sewing job? what is the diameter of this thing?

my sons school also has a group of korean kids in its hostel wing. must be of some co that might be in somewhat rural area in KT hence the kids are sent enmasse to boarding school. it takes courage for people to come to a foreign land, work in a plant in a ruralish area and send their kids to boarding school. the typical hyper american parent would recoil in horror and not even bring his family over.

my wife also met a korean lady and her kid in a local library and turns out her husband worked for a few yrs in india, returned to Soko, did not like it there and came back again. they live in a typical upper-middle class apartment like us and she said their std of living was somewhat better here...they were looking to stay for good and settle here.

the japanese seem to be somewhat more finicky about all this...though the japanese women I noticed in delhi wearing indian dress and moving around in the metro (could be students of some sort , embassy staff or wives/workers for some cos off duty) looked very delectable to put it mildly and looked like good 'wife material' :mrgreen: someone who has had more interaction and decoded their culture might want to update the mob in the L&M thread on this issue.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

Singha saar , I posted a video in Nukkad ...

mean while

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 180893.cms

Biggest automobile parts hub planned in Gujarat
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

While the Japanese had to rebuild after WW2, their initial industrialization began under the Meiji emperor starting in 1868, when they put town the Samurai rebellion and began to absorb American and European (esp German) technology. By the early 1900s they were already a world power, and defeated the Russian Navy at Tsushima Strait. The IJN had some excellent battleships like the British built Mikasa, and subsequently others they built, culminating in the Yamato class. Effectively, they were half a century ahead of the rest of Asia by then, and no one started bridging the gap until the 1970s - not even the small Asian tiger city states.

Koreans, unlike the Japanese, have a living memory of having been a dirt poor nation. Until the mid 1960s, they were no better than Bangladesh. A combination of a ruthless leader in Park Chung Hee, and an intense cultural desire to outdo the Japanese, who humiliated them, drove them to succeed. They haven't lost the humility associated with growing up poor; any Korean older than about 35-40 has memories of a significantly poorer nation than the modern powerhouse of today. Being as poor as they were, they had to put both men and women to work. The Japanese system on the other hand, is characterized by marginalization of women in the workforce into cliched pretty face roles, with the expectation that they'd become wives and mothers while their salaryman husband slogged long hours.

In the medium term, the Koreans will do better than the Japanese, who seem essentially unable to grasp the gravity of the economic and demographic challenge facing them. Their personal attitudes are probably borne of the enormous lead they held over the rest of Asia for so long. But they're resourceful people with an extraordinary amount of accumulated capital from decades of growth.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Theo_Fidel wrote:

Plenty of SoKos in Bangalore too.

Pity is that they go about planting things and harvesting things in the non agricultural sense. :wink:

No wonder they get on well with diverse cultures. Birds of a feather principle.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

>> Effectively, they were half a century ahead of the rest of Asia by then, and no one started bridging the gap until the 1970s - not even the small Asian tiger city states.

yes folks like mitsubishi and kawasaki were world level industrial houses from before ww2. even in WW1 in which japan sided with the allies, they could send a squadron of destroyers to serve in the mediterranean.

in japan it is alleged even highly qualified women tend to stop working after marriage and instead focus on their hyper intensive schooling, tuition and exam prep system needed to prepare the next gen of slogging focussed munna's :)
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Should investors abandon equities for good?

People exiting stock markets is pretty worrisome. The recent program by govt to encourage investment in equities for people less than 10 lakhs in income should help precipitate this problem to an extent.

What is the opinion of the gurus here, is investing a stock market a good proposition for the long term or is it just a marketing ploy to ensure people remain invested?
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Singha wrote:hopefully the Indo-Japanese co-op thing will be like human-elf alliance in LOTR. elfs have high tech but very poor manpower which is declining.

Not to mention that elfs enjoy a longer life span than most and elvish is a hard language. Now where is Aragorn by the way ? It is high time he shows up.Gondor needs him.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Foreign claims on India — $137 billion due in 1 year.

A rapidly depreciating rupee, dipping foreign exchange reserves and strong financial links with the Euro Zone are pushing India against the wall. The over 20 per cent depreciation of the rupee against the dollar in the last one year has hugely increased the repayment burden of Indian companies.

According to the Bank for International Settlements' (BIS) preliminary data for December 2011, international claims on India, payable within the next one year, are $137 billion.. This is 60 per cent of the total claims of overseas banks on India in non-rupee currencies. This can eat up one half of the $293-billion foreign exchange reserves that India now has. European banks account for over 40 per cent of India's total foreign dues. At $132 billion, this is twice India's liabilities towards the US.

But leaving out the UK, India's Euro Zone exposure is about $60 billion. That is close to 3.4 per cent of India's GDP. Any full-blown crisis in Greece could spill over to the other European nations, posing a risk of capital flight from India.

The immediate impact of capital flight and the depreciating rupee would be more pressure on domestic liquidity, says Ms Sonal Varma, Executive Director and India Economist at Nomura. That also means a higher risk of interest rates moving upwards.

International claims, other than rupee-denominated ones, include trade credit and other borrowings. The data on international claims from the BIS, roughly tally with the RBI's data on non-rupee external debt.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Singha wrote:khan actually has its own internal underclass of 100 mil to exploit for low cost manufacturing first.
Singha ji

Not only manufacturing, even in IT/VITY, a large swath of Midwest has become competitive with India as the salary gap is much narrower between underdeveloped parts of Midwest with the added bonus of much better infra.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

>> even in IT/VITY, a large swath of Midwest has become competitive with India as the salary gap is much narrower between underdeveloped parts of Midwest with the added bonus of much better infra.

indeed. and while the kids of coastal elites might not want to live and work in places like minneapolis or cleveland vs the "buzz" of SF or san diego , there are enough talented people in the midwest to sustain any form of itvity. I was working with a small group of such excellent folks just a few months ago.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Vipul wrote:Foreign claims on India — $137 billion due in 1 year.
According to the Bank for International Settlements' (BIS) preliminary data for December 2011, international claims on India, payable within the next one year, are $137 billion.. This is 60 per cent of the total claims of overseas banks on India in non-rupee currencies. This can eat up one half of the $293-billion foreign exchange reserves that India now has. .
So Govt will now try to negotiate the bond holders with swap of even longer term bonds thus deferring immediate payouts?
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Roperia wrote:Crisis in UPA-II, ripple in the economy, time to act or quit!
This is not correct alll our problems are not because of Mamta. Problem is less with UPA-II than UPA-1. UPA-1 inherited a strong economy and then engaged in wholesale loot through 2g, coal scam etc etc. but through MNERGA, Agri loan wrtie off bought the voters. Now chickens are coming to roost thats all
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Falling foreign exchange reserves, slowing economy and on top a large chunk of payables in the next one year, what can we expect of the the rupee rate vis a vis the $? Would it breach the 60 mark?
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Regarding the Dec 2011 BIS data, I'm not sure what is such a big deal about it. It's merely a reflection of the external debt composition. At any given time, there's a significant amount of outstanding revolving debt. December was about the peak of the Rupee depreciation to Rs.54/$, after which it rose up to Rs.50/$, before falling again to the same level again now. Besides, as the article states, those are revolving liabilities of private companies, not sovereign debt; it is not GoI's liability.

Exchange rate risk is one of the issues affecting foreign currency borrowings, as a tradeoff for lower interest rates abroad. Companies know this, and they'll simply scale back on external commercial borrowings as they rollover their existing liabilities when they become due. External banking entities - especially fragile European ones - have nothing to gain by calling in all the debt - they are better off with a steady stream of incoming interest payments.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

India to pay $11bn for higher voting share in IMF.

The government will have to make an additional payment of USD 11 billion towards increasing its voting share in the International Monetary Fund (IMF), once the quota reforms at the multilateral agency are approved, Parliament was informed on Friday.

India's quota share in the IMF would increase to 2.75 per cent from 2.44 per cent once the reforms comes into effect."This increase would require an additional payment of USD 11 billion," minister of state for finance Namo Narain Meena said in a written reply in the Lok Sabha.

He said the cash outflow would be about USD 2.75 billion, around 25 per cent of the total amount."... the balance is in the form of rupee denominated securities that can be encashed when required by the IMF," he noted.

In the 2012-13 Budget, the government has proposed to earmark Rs 56,000 crore in case IMF calls for the payment when the quota reforms comes into effect.The IMF reviews quota shares of member nations every five years and the last such review happened in 2010.

"The quota payment is an international obligation of the government of India as a member of the IMF. With the growth in India's economy, its quota share has also increased reflecting the size of Gross Domestic Product ( GDP)," the minister noted.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Column : Who will answer?

INDIA’S DESCENT
Surjit S Bhalla

Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 0229 hrs IST

In the rooms of darkened shades, The scent of sandalwood pervades. The colored thoughts in muddled heads, Reclining in rumpled beds, Of unmade dreams that can’t come true, And when we ask what we should do, Who? Who will answer?

Ed Ames, Who Will Answer, 1968

This marks the beginning of a new column—India’s Descent. About two years ago, I asked several learned people the following question—did you see the rise of India, from a poor economy to one with a challenging shot at being a global economic power? Everybody was honest, and everyone said no, we did not see it coming. Today, and over the last six months, I have asked the same people, and more—did you foresee the steep descent of India? Universal answer—no. To be sure, the pessimists among us pointed to the possibility that India could be sluggish in the short-term, especially given Greece and Europe. But the steep descent of India into unimaginably retrograde economic policies, and politicians banning (becoming?) cartoons, and the confidence in the Indian economy at the same low level as in pre-reform India of the 1990s—no, not even the worst pessimist got the descent right.

Hence, the need for a new column, one dedicated to explaining India’s descent since 2007. How did it happen? Who were the contributors? What were the policies that made this decline possible? Who will answer for bringing India down so steeply? The long running column No Proof Required will still be written, but when emphasis is on understanding what went and is going wrong, India’s Descent will take over.

India is performing miserably, and way below potential. Now, there are some who argue that India is growing at 6%, when most of the rest of the world has a GDP growth below this level. True—but in a list of 60 economies whose data are published in the back of The Economist every week, India’s industrial production growth, at minus 3.5%, year-on-year in April, is the lowest for an economy outside of Greece-afflicted Europe. Even Great Britain, with industrial production growth at minus 2.6%, performed better than India. In China, the growth rate was 9.3%, in the US 5.2%, and the aggregate for the euro area, minus 2.2%. These figures are for March or April 2012, a full two months before the full onslaught of the crisis in Greece and the eurozone. The last few years we have patted ourselves on the back for doing so well, but it was premature self-praise: it’s time to recognise that we are doing very badly. And begin to ask the question as to why India is in the state it is today. And begin to ask, who will answer?

The second important hole in the full-of-holes defence that India is doing okay, let alone better, is that comparisons of growth rate are made only with reference to potential, or likelihood, and not with reference to an all world or own average. No one hears the Americans saying that GDP growth of 2.5% is great, and better than Europe growing at 0%, or better than the US in the recession year 2009. No—the discussion is around the fact that in previous recoveries, the US grew at something above 4%, while this recovery is registering a growth which is half in magnitude. The higher than recession and higher than Europe is a stupid comparison and no sensible economist or policymaker in the US ever makes that comparison. Why do we do so in India?

So what has caused India’s decline? As readers of my columns know, I believe a large part of the answer lies with the socialist policies engineered by the UPA-1, policies which would embarrass even a Venezuelan Chavez. In the later stages of the UPA-1, the Ms Sonia Gandhi-led government accelerated the decline and the nadir (I hope) was reached by the retrograde, worst-ever fiscal budget 2012-13 presented by the ostensibly able finance minister Mr Pranab Mukherjee. Future articles in this India’s Descent series will explore, and dissect, the contributions of various leaders, political parties, and institutions, to this decline in the life and fortunes of aam aadmi in India.

But for today, I just want to point to three summary conclusions. First, the embarrassing excuse that the Congress party officials and leaders offer when confronted with the facts of their gross misrule. The Congress’s refrain is, what can we do, we are running a coalition government and you know how irrational our own allies are. The first refuge of failed leadership—blame others, and do not refrain from blaming your own allies! Well, there are precious few democracies in the world which do not have a coalition government, and India itself has had a coalition government since 1989. Recall that the most significant economic reforms in India occurred with a non Nehru-Gandhi led coalition government.

The second refrain, and pushed by lazy analysis, is that there is policy paralysis in India. This is a sister argument to the blame being put on coalition governments. There is no policy paralysis in India—but it is the case that the paralysis is caused by the onslaught of misguided policy actions taken by the Ms Sonia Gandhi-led UPA-1 and UPA-2. Whether it be populist policies like outlandishly high procurement prices (much responsible for India’s high inflation), or extremely wasteful welfare expenditures, or non-populist and non-sense policies like retrospective tax implementation, there is no paralysis of action, just a commission of very bad policies.

Third is the refrain of some that perhaps an economic crisis will change personnel and policymakers within the Congress party. I subscribe to that view with one correction. India is already in a full-fledged economic crisis, a crisis brought about by the policy actions of the UPA-1 and UPA-2. Like Greece, can we have a referendum on whether there has been gross mismanagement of the Indian economy, please?

The author is chairman of Oxus Investments, an emerging market advisory firm
nawabs
BRFite

Post by nawabs »

^^ Link Please.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

one of the reason for the Rupee decline against the Dollar is that people are reverting back to dollar due to eurozone decline.. Hopefully declining commodity prices will ease things a bit..

there will be several doom and gloom articles published and publication of them is essential.. Gubermint must know that they need a musharraf wooping..

Nawabs OT , but ensure that you take Math/Stats while pursuing masters... one of the reasons why econ/political science people become Jholawalaas is because they have poor understanding of math/stats...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

but will any of this result in the INC being hit with chappals and thrown out on their ear in the next elections ?

I doubt it
- oppn is fragmented , BJP central leadership more or less does what 10 janpath wants, state units of BJP are not under full control
- loose cannons like Mamata continue to do damage
- SP seems more intent on culturally creating a farsi and urdu speaking caliphate in UP than reviving the fortunes of our biggest state and heartland
- NAC continues to be in place, 10 janpath continues to be supreme decision maker in economic matters
- people in 100s of millions will still vote on basis of caste , ethnic and religion based handouts.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Dollar as safe haven is one factor.... Indian economic fundamentals have been weakening for over a year. Bloated current account deficit, fiscal deficit, a complete loss of confidence of the private sector following a series of asinine moves - there does not seem to be a limit to governmental incompetence.

More from India Today From the editor-in-chief:
One can always find comfort in someone else being worse off. Although the rate of growth of the Indian economy has fallen from 8.4 per cent in 2010-2011 to 6.9 per cent in 2011-2012, I often hear defenders of the Government say that at least we are growing, unlike the advanced economies. This is self-deception. We must never forget that India, despite our growing band of billionaires, is a desperately poor country where around 400 million live on less than the Government-defined poverty line of Rs.32 per day. India needs a double-digit rate of growth for decades to pull out of the poverty trap. Whatever spin the Government gives, there is little doubt that the economy is in serious trouble. The rupee fell to an all-time low of Rs.54.46 against the dollar on May 16. The Index for Industrial Production in March showed a decline of 3.5 per cent. The Sensex has fallen to under 16,000. Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee insists that the political crisis in Greece is responsible for the decline in the rupee and Sensex, but the real cause of the economy's plight lies at home. The culprit is the Government. It has halted the engine of India's growth-the private sector.

Policy paralysis was the story of 2011. Bureaucrats were scared of taking decisions for fear of incurring the wrath of an investigating agency. There were great hopes from the Union Budget. Unfortunately, it culminated in damaging attacks on the private sector. The retrospective tax amendment to overturn Vodafone's victory in the Supreme Court was a blot. The decision to impose General Anti-Avoidance Rules (GAAR) on foreign investors was equally controversial, not because it was clamping down on tax havens, but because it gave too much power to the taxman with which even genuine investors could be harassed. Mercifully, GAAR has been held in abeyance but it still hangs like a Damocles sword. The draconian provision of allowing non-bailable warrants for customs violations is reflective of the big brother attitude of the Government.

In April, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) announced a series of recommendations which could potentially destroy India's telecom and media industries, both sunrise sectors in the not-so-distant past. For telecom, TRAI suggested an extortionate reserve price for spectrum. On media, the regulator landed a body blow on broadcasters under the guise of promoting digitisation. The notorious institution of carriage fee charged by cable operators from news broadcasters to carry their channels should have been abolished, not legitimised. TRAI has also put a cap on the amount of advertising to be carried per hour. Even the powerful Mukesh Ambani has not been spared by Government. He is in arbitration with the Government over a dispute related to his KG-D6 gas block. Our cover story, written by Deputy Editor Dhiraj Nayyar, analyses how various policy actions by the Government are pushing businessmen to the wall and choking industries which have been key catalysts for growth in the past decade. "Businessmen genuinely believe that this Government is the most anti-business one in the last two decades. They have begun to openly challenge its non-action," says Nayyar.

I have always believed that India has grown in spite of the Government, not because of it. It has grown on the energy, skill and enterprise of the Indian people. Now there is anxiety that we may have reached a point where the stranglehold of the bureaucracy, corruption and the lack of infrastructure is proving too much even for this indomitable spirit. I hope the wellknown image of India Shining does not convert itself into India Declining.l
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Singha wrote:but will any of this result in the INC being hit with chappals and thrown out on their ear in the next elections ?
I doubt it
- oppn is fragmented , BJP central leadership more or less does what 10 janpath wants, state units of BJP are not under full control
- loose cannons like Mamata continue to do damage
- SP seems more intent on culturally creating a farsi and urdu speaking caliphate in UP than reviving the fortunes of our biggest state and heartland
- NAC continues to be in place, 10 janpath continues to be supreme decision maker in economic matters
- people in 100s of millions will still vote on basis of caste , ethnic and religion based handouts.
With a moribund BJP national leadership I doubt they can take advantage of the situation. Petroleum prices will have to be increased which will cause further inflation but people may still go for the TINA factor. The buzz in Delhi circles is of Third front which is probably going to be an even bigger disaster economically given its past record.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

+1

third front would be like some of the later mughals or earlier feroze-shah-tughlaq ruler following a longish spell of Aurangzeb rule(INC).

it will complete the job of weakening the republic and give a clarion call to every vulture to tear apart our flesh. imagine Didi as finance minister and the caliph of UP as the home minister.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

NYT : Never Mind Europe. Worry About India.
By TYLER COWEN
Published: May 5, 2012

THE economic slowdown in India is one of the world’s biggest economic stories, but it is commanding only a modicum of attention in the United States.

It may not even look like a slowdown because by developed standards, India’s growth — estimated by the International Monetary Fund at 6.9 percent for 2012 — is still strong. But a slowdown it is: the economy has decelerated from projected rates of more than 8 percent, and negative momentum may bring a further decline. The government reported year-over-year growth in the October-through-December quarter of only 6.1 percent.

What is disturbing is that much of the decline in the growth rate is distributed unevenly, with the greatest burden falling on the poor. If the slower rate continues or worsens, many millions of Indians, for another generation, will fail to rise above extreme penury and want. The problems of the euro zone are a pittance by comparison.

China commands more attention, but Scott B. Sumner, the Bentley College economist, has pointed out it is India that is likely to end up as the world’s largest economy by the next century. China’s population is likely to peak relatively soon while India’s will continue to grow, so under even modestly optimistic projections the Indian economy will be No. 1 in terms of total size.

India also is a potential force for energizing the economies of Bangladesh, Nepal and, perhaps someday, Pakistan and Myanmar. The losses from a poorer India go far beyond the country’s borders; furthermore, the wealthier India becomes, the stronger the allure of democracy in the region.

Why is India’s economic growth slowing? The causes are varied. They include a less than optimal attitude toward foreign business and investment: recall the Indian government’s reversal of its previous willingness to let Wal-Mart enter the retailing sector. The government also has been assessing retroactive taxation on foreign businesses years after incomes are earned and reported. Another problem is the country’s energy infrastructure, which has not geared up to meet industrial demand. Coal mining is dominated by an inefficient state-owned company and there are various price controls on both coal and natural gas. Over all, the country does not seem headed toward further liberalization and market-oriented reforms.

These problems can be solved. More troubling are the causes that have no easy fix.

Agriculture employs about half of India’s work force, for example, yet the agricultural revolution that flourished in the 1970s has slowed. Crop yields remain stubbornly low, transport and water infrastructure is poor, and the legal system is hostile to foreign investment in basic agriculture and to modern agribusiness. Note that the earlier general growth bursts of Japan, South Korea and Taiwan were all preceded by significant gains in agricultural productivity.

For all of India’s economic progress, it is hard to find comparable stirrings in Indian agriculture today. It is estimated that half of all Indian children under the age of 5 suffer from malnutrition.

Another worry is that India’s services-based growth spurt may have run much of its course. Call centers, for example, have succeeded by building their own infrastructure and they often function as self-contained, walled minicities. It’s impressive that those achievements have been possible, but these economically segregated islands of higher productivity suggest that success is achieved by separating oneself from the broader Indian economy, not by integrating with it.

India also has one of the world’s most unwieldy legal systems, and one that seems particularly hard to reform. On the World Bank’s Doing Business Index, the country ranks 132 out of 183 listed countries and regions, behind Honduras and the West Bank and Gaza, and just ahead of Nigeria and Syria. One undercurrent of talk is that the days of “the license Raj” have returned, referring to the country’s earlier subpar economic performance under a regime of heavy government regulation.

ON the positive side of the ledger, the country retains a population with remarkable talent, energy and entrepreneurship. It has worldwide networks of trade and migration, and world-class achievements in entertainment and design, among numerous other strengths. Nonetheless, the previous pace of progress no longer seems guaranteed.

India may not be alone in this slowdown. There is a more general worry that the grouping of disparate giants known as the BRIC nations — Brazil, Russia, India and China — has, for some reason, lost much of its previous momentum. Last year Brazil grew at only a 2.7 percent rate, down from 7.5 percent, and Chinese and Russian G.D.P. growth are slowing too, to an unknown extent and duration. In the past, many countries engaged in catch-up growth have suddenly slowed and hit plateaus, although economists do not have firmly established theories as to when and why this happened. In any case it remains a real danger.

In the short run, we often focus on headlines, elections and fights between personalities and political parties. But the world is shaped by deeper structural forces, such as resources, technologies, demographics and economic growth rates. We ignore India’s troubling trends at our peril.

Tyler Cowen is a professor of economics at George Mason University.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

If some of the recent gober mint actions are taken into consideration , they are desperately trying to get back to socialist era. Like there recent views on land acquisition..And there new policy on telecom and cable tv .. These are intended to be disastrous..

A third front is highly unlikely .. Don't right of the NDA just yet ... In 2009 , India had a spell of very rapid growth for 7 years. Savings rates were all time high.. (35%+ in comparison to 24% in 1999) .. That is what helped CON party regain power ..Voters did not understand , the rapid growth was a result of the policy of the preceeding governments .. Never the less CON party reaped the benefits of NDAs good work.

This time around growth is slowing. The savings rate and the investment rate have reduced. Investment/savings gap does not look good. Inflation has been massive.. (it was very moderate in 2009) ..There is a massive discourse against UPA corruption in various popular media .

So truly it ll lead to disastrous electoral results..
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

Vipul wrote:Foreign claims on India — $137 billion due in 1 year.

A rapidly depreciating rupee, dipping foreign exchange reserves and strong financial links with the Euro Zone are pushing India against the wall. The over 20 per cent depreciation of the rupee against the dollar in the last one year has hugely increased the repayment burden of Indian companies.

According to the Bank for International Settlements' (BIS) preliminary data for December 2011, international claims on India, payable within the next one year, are $137 billion.. This is 60 per cent of the total claims of overseas banks on India in non-rupee currencies. This can eat up one half of the $293-billion foreign exchange reserves that India now has. European banks account for over 40 per cent of India's total foreign dues. At $132 billion, this is twice India's liabilities towards the US.

But leaving out the UK, India's Euro Zone exposure is about $60 billion. That is close to 3.4 per cent of India's GDP. Any full-blown crisis in Greece could spill over to the other European nations, posing a risk of capital flight from India.

The immediate impact of capital flight and the depreciating rupee would be more pressure on domestic liquidity, says Ms Sonal Varma, Executive Director and India Economist at Nomura. That also means a higher risk of interest rates moving upwards.

International claims, other than rupee-denominated ones, include trade credit and other borrowings. The data on international claims from the BIS, roughly tally with the RBI's data on non-rupee external debt.
Lot of PE investment is actually assured return debt and plug has been pulled/is being pulled on lot of such investments by PE investors like DE Shaw & Clearwater.

Having said that, some amount of Rupee depreciation was required to keep us competitive
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

I am trying to estimate the BoP for India in 2011-12 and project for 2012-13. Can somebody correct the figures:-

Merchandise Imports and Export for 2011-12 = US$ 488-300 Billion = USD (-) 188 Billion. For 2012-13 it is projected to be again (-) USD 150 to 200 Billion

Service Imports and Export for 2011-12 = US$ 70-? Billion = USD (+) ? Billion. For 2012-13 it is projected to be again (+) USD ? Billion

Net Repatriations for 2011-12 = US$ 55 Billion = USD (+) 55 Billion. For 2012-13 it is projected to be again (+) USD 50-60 Billion

Travel and Education Imports and Export for 2011-12 = US$ ?-? Billion = USD (+) ? Billion. For 2012-13 it is projected to be again (+) USD ? Billion. Normally it is equals out-???

Foreign Investments & Interest/Divident Received less Repayments of loans & Interest/ Divident paid for 2011-12 = US$ 50-? Billion = USD (+) ? Billion. For 2012-13 it is projected to be again (+) USD ? Billion

Rough estimate is that BoP can be plus or minus USD 50 Billion which is a very large variation of USD 100 Billion. But then difficult to predict Crude Oil prices, foreign investment, world economy and Rupee Depreciation.