Indian investments thread

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
rahulm
BRFite

Re: Indian investments thread

Post by rahulm »

ICICI prolly have the best service for NRE and demat (ICICIDirect) accounts.Have been using them for 10 plus years. Tried many other banks. I have had excellent service from ICICI call centres - both for banking and for trading. I have had relationship managers that were very prompt and helpful. All this on the phone from overseas.This is very important for me, as I value low to no friction interfaces in life, I live a wold away from India. However, their fees and charges are prolly among the highest if not the highest.

Bascially, if you are the type who, sitting a world away places a premium on your time and values service then ICICI is prolly the go, however, if you are the personality type that thrives on high friction interfaces, thinks nothing of spending an hour or more at the vegetable market haggling over Rs.1 when buying "ek pau" (250 grams) of chillies and considers the Rs 1 reduction in lieu of your hours worth of time, a proud, crowning glory moment.life defining moment, plenty of other banks with lower costs

ICICI will give very competitive FOREXremmitance rates, if you call your relationship manager and ask him/her for it before commencing the transaction.

PS: I/any of my family dont work for ICICI.

PPS: I do own ICICI stock and am very pleased thus far.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian investments thread

Post by vera_k »

Thanks. ICICI's remittance service didn't look competitive, but will try asking in person.

As an observation, India has very favorable capital gains tax rates at the moment. Not as favorable as the CI obviously, but 10% is not bad at all.