Indian investments thread

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
kumarn
BRFite

Re: Indian investments thread

Post by kumarn »

^^^abhi to party shuru hui hai!!
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

hey bhaat ij happening in the market!!
at such a high, where does one invest the new new salary which is to come in todin?
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Archan,

There is nothing wrong in keeping your powder dry if P/E valuations are very high. Find a 5% savings account and let the money keep up with inflation until you are ready. Then you can buy on the dips as happened recently.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

archan wrote:hey bhaat ij happening in the market!!
at such a high, where does one invest the new new salary which is to come in todin?
Apka surplus ka problem hai ? Thoda idhar bhej do. :mrgreen:
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Paging Archan Garu..
SBI stock is split in 1:10 ratio and is quoting currently above 300.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Bhaijaan, As high as mkts are, some stocks still will go up while some will climb down. There is always money to be made/lose in the market :)
Few stocks that I am interested in, with time frame of 3-6 months are

Orient Refract
Rico Auto
Garware Ropes
Wanbury

I have few of them but on very small quantity so planning to replenish my stock.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

VikasRaina wrote:Just sold my holding in Talwalkers which has been languishing in 195-215 range for quite sometime.
Stupid me. Silly me. Idiot me :(
I sold Talwalker at 203 on 9th Oct and within 6 weeks, It has climber 25%. I think Market was just waiting for me to dump my holdings and the upward journey would start.
Thats why I never advice myself to sell stocks and book loses :(( :(( :((

PS: Hello Markets, I am planning to sell L&T. Could you rise up by 30% on this inside information :mrgreen:
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

L&T has been doing well isn't it?
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

VikasRaina wrote: PS: Hello Markets, I am planning to sell L&T. Could you rise up by 30% on this inside information :mrgreen:
please keep posting. It is up by 1.94% todin! :D
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Sold IndusInd bank today @756. Made a killing of 400% in 4 years.
Am planning to buy SBI with this money once SBI is below 300. Also on Radar is Vanati Organics and AllCargo which are next big star on the horizon.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Can one put some kind of an alarm such that a SMS is sent to me once SBI goes under 300? I sold Axis bank at 420 a couple months ago and now its at 480 level. Grrr..
kumarn
BRFite

Post by kumarn »

VikasRaina wrote:Sold IndusInd bank today @756. Made a killing of 400% in 4 years.
Am planning to buy SBI with this money once SBI is below 300. Also on Radar is Vanati Organics and AllCargo which are next big star on the horizon.
selling a 25%+ compounder like IndusInd for a slow grower like SBI with huge NPAs might not be such a wise idea. IndusInd is a multibagger even from this price.
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

Oil at $40 Possible as Market Transforms Caracas to Iran

If oil goes to $40, which firms stands to gain the most? Around the work transportation and utilities have had double digit rallies recently..
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

VikasRaina wrote:
Bhaijaan, As high as mkts are, some stocks still will go up while some will climb down. There is always money to be made/lose in the market :)
Few stocks that I am interested in, with time frame of 3-6 months are

Orient Refract
Rico Auto
Garware Ropes
Wanbury

I have few of them but on very small quantity so planning to replenish my stock.

You need to explain your logic also :?: :D
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Gyan babu, I am paying money to get tips on stocks and fortunately all 100% of them have made money for me till now :)
If I knew, How to select stocks..I would have been running my own BRF meet at my villa
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

ICICI Bank has split 1:5. It was trading over 1700 yesterday, today 362 as of now.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

VikasRaina wrote:Gyan babu, I am paying money to get tips on stocks and fortunately all 100% of them have made money for me till now :)
If I knew, How to select stocks..I would have been running my own BRF meet at my villa
the stock code for Garware Ropes please..
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

archan wrote:ICICI Bank has split 1:5. It was trading over 1700 yesterday, today 362 as of now.
As a proud owner of 3 ICICI shares I will now go an update my portfolio :D
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

archan wrote:
VikasRaina wrote:Gyan babu, I am paying money to get tips on stocks and fortunately all 100% of them have made money for me till now :)
the stock code for Garware Ropes please..
Sorry! I meant Garware Wall Ropes. Script ID on BSE is GARWALLROP
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

kumarn wrote:
VikasRaina wrote:Sold IndusInd bank today @756. Made a killing of 400% in 4 years.
selling a 25%+ compounder like IndusInd for a slow grower like SBI with huge NPAs might not be such a wise idea. IndusInd is a multibagger even from this price.
You think IndusInd still has lot more to offer? I thought it is now a pretty expensive stock.
kumarn
BRFite

Post by kumarn »

VikasRaina wrote: You think IndusInd still has lot more to offer? I thought it is now a pretty expensive stock.
IndusInd is indeed expensive and will remain expensive. This is one stock you can stick to for the next 5-10 years. It should safely multiply 10-15 times in 10 years, which is good enough for me. But that is my style!
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

i am not into stocks , but i wont touch SBI
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Kya Yaar! I will buy INDUSIND once again but only if it comes down to levels of 700.
SBI still is one bank that I want to have in my kitty for investment.

To be honest, today after split, even ICICI was looking attractive :)
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

GoI is offering SAIL shares. What do the jingoes think? one can bid today starting Rs. 83.
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

archan wrote:GoI is offering SAIL shares. What do the jingoes think? one can bid today starting Rs. 83.
PSU stocks are for those who have a lot of excess money and want to lighten their burden :D
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

VikasRaina wrote:Kya Yaar! I will buy INDUSIND once again but only if it comes down to levels of 700.
SBI still is one bank that I want to have in my kitty for investment.

To be honest, today after split, even ICICI was looking attractive :)
Why would any scrip become "attractive" after stock split?

If I cut a pizza into six slices instead of four slices, will it change the quantity of pizza?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Splits and reverse splits affect buying thresholds. For example, a stock with a high price per share might get lower retail interest because it's individually priced high such that retail buyers don't buy them in as much volume. On the other end, stocks effect reverse splits when their price/share is too low, hampering institutional buyers, whose trading algorithms often require a stock to have a minimum price, as a qualitative measure. But yes, seemingly indiscriminate splits may not have much effect.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

My understanding was that if I have Rs 100 to invest and a share costs Rs. 100. I can buy one of it. If its value increases by Rs. 1, I gain Rs. 1.
If the same scrip is split into 1:5, I can buy 5 for my Rs. 100. If the value increase by the same Rs. 1, I earn Rs. 5 for the same amount of investment.
Pretty simplistic. However, gyani jan may please explain how it might be difficult to get the Rs. 1 increase when the scrip value is Rs. 20 instead of Rs. 100.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

All else being alike, a Rs.1 gain on a Rs.100 stock should mean a 20 paise gain on the Rs.20 stock post 5:1 split. If you're seeing Rs.1 move on the latter, you're benefitting from more aggressive price movement on the latter, which may be because of a rush of retail interest in the cheaper per-unit price.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Doesn't WBuffet rubbish this. He has repeatedly refused to split his stocks to prevent speculators from piling on. Last check the BRK.A share is worth a scrumptious $225,000 per share! Heh. 4 shares will make you a millionaire.

Though there is a BRK.B running at ~ $6,000 or so IIRC.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Theo, that's correct. Buffett was against stock splits, but he did give in through the cheaper BRK.B shares.
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

Theo_Fidel wrote:Doesn't WBuffet rubbish this. He has repeatedly refused to split his stocks to prevent speculators from piling on. Last check the BRK.A share is worth a scrumptious $225,000 per share! Heh. 4 shares will make you a millionaire.

Though there is a BRK.B running at ~ $6,000 or so IIRC.
No. BRK.B was split again (at the time of BNSF merger I think). It is "just" $150/share now :D
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

Suraj wrote:Theo, that's correct. Buffett was against stock splits, but he did give in through the cheaper BRK.B shares.
He was forced into doing it because some smart guy ran a mutual fund just to buy BRK shares and charged 1% or 2% management fee. That has pissed off WB and he created B shares to put them out of business

:)
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Ah mutual funds. That's the only way I own BRK myself :)
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

Trivia

In India, right now the most expensive "face value" stocks are

MRF - Rs. 38,050
Bosch - Rs. 20,544
Tide Water Oil - Rs. 19,055
Eicher Motors - Rs. 15,213
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

My MFs are doing well touchwood. In three months I'm up by 27k. Losing some on stocks. I guess that's why the managers expertise is important. Shorted Airtel and Phoenix lamps yesterday. They seem sick to not be able to do half decent in such a good market. If I put that cash I the MF it will likely make up for the loss and then some in a year.
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

Making a lot of money in the last 12-15 months is not a big deal :-)
In fact next 4-5 years (at least) a lot of money can be made in Indian markets.

The real challenge is to handle bear markets and watch your portfolio bleed almost every day :-)

In my portfolio, One of the best stock in the Indian market, HDFC Bank went down by 53% of its purchase price in 2009 :-)

For now, sit back and enjoy the ride....

-- Vamsee
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Vamsee wrote:Trivia

In India, right now the most expensive "face value" stocks are

MRF - Rs. 38,050
Bosch - Rs. 20,544
Tide Water Oil - Rs. 19,055
Eicher Motors - Rs. 15,213
compare to berkshire hathaway series a stock value of 200,000USD :)
Hariprasad
BRFite

Post by Hariprasad »

Guru jan, I'm looking to shuffle my portfolio from debt to equity . This is a ULIP and I can just allocate a portion to equity fund. The total amount shifting will be ~ 80 K. My outlook is to maximize profit for a 3-4 year period.

The market is close to its peak. Should I enter equity now or wait for dips ?
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Vamsee wrote:Making a lot of money in the last 12-15 months is not a big deal :-)
In fact next 4-5 years (at least) a lot of money can be made in Indian markets.

The real challenge is to handle bear markets and watch your portfolio bleed almost every day :-)

In my portfolio, One of the best stock in the Indian market, HDFC Bank went down by 53% of its purchase price in 2009 :-)

For now, sit back and enjoy the ride....

-- Vamsee
Saar, I don't have the jigra for that. That's why before Modi ji came to the fore I never even thought of putting my hard earned money out there. For now it is Namo Namo. Later, let it all go into debt and FDs if the mafia returns to power.