Indian IT Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
asgkhan
BRFite

Re: Indian IT Industry

Post by asgkhan »

yogendra wrote:
asgkhan wrote:Stayzilla has suspended operations. They want to re-work their operating model. That is gobbleydeegook for fire the fat and become leaner.
Well, that... and more.

https://blog.stayzilla.com/stayzilla-wi ... .d596rbemk
Pranaam Sir.

Good luck with your next venture. May Goddess Lakshmi take a permanent abode in your business.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I was smiling that yogendra uncloaked right after your post.
srikven
BRFite -Trainee

Post by srikven »

yogendra wrote:Thanks for the support, everyone!
Good luck Yogi . For people like me who just think about doing things like what you have done, you are a pioneer indeed. God speed on whatever you are trying to do to reboot. Continue inspiring us
srikven
BRFite -Trainee

Post by srikven »

yogendra wrote:
Manish_P wrote:
Strange day

The same day i read that Stayzilla suspends operations(i work in a somewhat related industry), i see it's founders first post on BRF (a forum i am a follower of)

:)
I have the best people across fields from call centre operations to machine learning. If you have any opening, please mail me at yogi@stayzilla.com.
Yogi. Pl look for an email from srikven at gmaal daat kaam
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

I have great respect for anyone who tries to start something up even if he ends up failing at it.

Without these folks daring to take a risk and try something new, we'd all still be swinging from tree to tree.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/26/technol ... index.html

Indian tech graduates fear America may shut them out
by Rishi Iyengar and Ravi Agrawal
Ayush Suvalka has a lot going for him. He's about to graduate from one of the best engineering colleges in India and has already secured a job with the Bangalore branch of JPMorgan (JPM).

The 21-year-old computer science student isn't planning to spend his career in India's version of Silicon Valley. He hopes the big American investment bank will move him to its U.S. headquarters after a few years.

"It's always been America because the companies, all the big companies, are there," Suvalka said. "The life there is... really amazing." :P
Poor nanha is in for a shock when he gets here.
Melwyn

Post by Melwyn »

TBH most Indian still think like that about US/Kannada/UK etc. Amazing life or Prestige of being there.
I wish CNN had carried the news about the slain Indian engineer a bit more rather than this droll piece.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

^^

Sent saar. Please check.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

KJo wrote:http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/26/technol ... index.html

Ayush Suvalka has a lot going for him. He's about to graduate from one of the best engineering colleges in India and has already secured a job with the Bangalore branch of JPMorgan (JPM).
Ok, from reading the article a bit, his engineering college is the Ramaiah Institute of Technology. First time I'm hearing of this engineering college -- does it have a good program?
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Its pretty reasonably good for the Karnataka scene but calling it best in India is streching it a bit
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Javee wrote:Yogi, like they say, it takes guts to live your dreams admit defeat and reorient back again. Best of luck.

And I agree on the funding difficulties, I faced the same dilemma last year and after thinking it through shut it down. It's difficult, but then, like you/Marten said I know the mistakes I did and learnt from it.
Javee, my advise is to start small and bootstrap. Talking of entry barriers, tech barriers trump all other barriers provided one plays the cards right. That said, there will be ups and downs. Never get funding, not even angel funding, till you have a close to release product to demonstrate. Showing just a prototype using RAD is a recipe for disaster even if the people who get the demo are under NDA.

Unfortunately, the powers that be in India are burocrat heavy who are prone to raise the cost of starting a high-tech business, leave alone being in business.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Yogendra, best of luck. What you are able to do with just 200 people is amazing. One thing we have found the hard way is that it quite difficult to attract talent who are excited to work in companies engaged in businesses higher in the value chain.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 28 Feb 2017 06:54, edited 1 time in total.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

ArmenT wrote:Ok, from reading the article a bit, his engineering college is the Ramaiah Institute of Technology. First time I'm hearing of this engineering college -- does it have a good program?
It has been in existence for a long time now. But as sum says, it is a stretch to say it is one of the best in India. It is a far out statement. :(
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

ArmenT wrote:
KJo wrote:http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/26/technol ... index.html

Ok, from reading the article a bit, his engineering college is the Ramaiah Institute of Technology. First time I'm hearing of this engineering college -- does it have a good program?
Yes, it is known as MS Ramaiah Institute of Tech and it is considered one of the best colleges in Karnataka. Bangalore U is not looked upon well so in that Univ, MSRIT and RV College are considered among the best. From their site.
33rd
Rank in India
1st
Rank in Karnataka among Pvt. Institutions
Industrial collaborations
Avg. Publications Per Year
95%
Placement Percentage
Of course, which rankings they pick, I don't know - all I can say is it is a good place in Karnataka, but I would not say that as far as the whole of India.

Edit: Wicky chacha says that they have removed the MS part and it's just Ramaiah now. Okay.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Uber engineering chief ousted amid revelations about harassment investigation at Google
Uber’s senior vice president of engineering has been asked to resign after failing to inform the company about sexual harassment allegations at his previous job, according to Recode.

The ride-hailing company hired Amit Singhal for the role last month. He worked directly with CEO Travis Kalanick. Up until February last year, Singhal had worked for 15 years as the head engineer for Google search. Recode reports Singhal resigned from Google amid a sexual harassment scandal.

A female employee at Google reportedly approached HR after an encounter with Singhal, setting off a series of talks between Singhal, Google’s head of HR and Google CEO Sundar Pichai, sources told Recode’s Kara Swisher. Though Singhal denied the claims in the discussions, he reportedly said there were two sides to every story. He resigned within months.

Despite conducting background checks before hiring Singhal, Uber reportedly didn’t know about the situation at Google until Recode approached them this week. Kalanick asked Singhal to resign this morning.

“Having Singhal at the head of an organization under siege over sexual harassment issues when he was not candid with Uber over his departure from Google was considered untenable,” Swisher wrote in her ReCode article.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

proximity to centers of industry definitely helps colleges get better placements vs same college in rural area. in my days nit warangal was always behind trichy and surathkal as more industries recruited from bluru and chennai while hyd was not so industrial. students used to pass out without job, then camp in some metro place with friends or seniors and then get job. or study if they did not get good placement in gate or upsc in first attempt.

rv, ramaiah, scve mysore, pesit, psg , anna, srm, vit, guindy, dayanand sagar et al definitely benefit a lot from bluru and chennai proximity. and all the nits in south as well.

students from san jose state univ surely get access to better itvity placements and internships than say ann arbor or austin...despite the fact these two are far bigger, "proper township" type univs with a vast range of depts and amenities.
but SJSU is right where the meat is :twisted:

same goes for the old DIT and DCE in delhi, names might have changed now.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Looks like President Trump is getting serious about the quality of software engineers coming to this country. Two different engineers questioned at two different airports:
Aussie’s weird immigration interview in the US
Software engineer detained at JFK, given test to prove he's an engineer
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

How we're destroying our cities thanks to rampant corruption involving our pol. leaders,bureauracracy,police,etc. Bangalore is a prime example where the IT boom has really led to "doom" for the city whose infrastructure is now crumbling and burning.

I remember Blr. as a small child,truly a garden city,gentle traffic leafy roads,great parks,wonderful bungalows. They've all almost gone today. Sadly the IT boom has been responsible.the wealth it brought to the city has not been used to plan for its intelligent development. Builders tell me that the number of illegal structures thanks to "wink,wink" attitudes by the administrators/BMC, is massive. Lake beds have been built upon too,nothing has been spared.Whitefield,which 20 yrs. ago was another world,has been over-run by the concrete cancer of "Bengaluru".Bengaluru is doomed as there is little hope that this generation of politicos from all sides are going to do anything to save the city.In fact,they wanted an elevated steel highway solely for the precious backsides of the power elite! This has been furiously condemned by Bangaloreans. I never visited the air show this year,have seen every one since inception,partly becos of the nightmare getting to Yelahanka,finding the right parking zone,a mile away from the base,then being taken to it in a rickety joke of a bus/coach,walking in the heat to finally get to the hangars and chalets,by which time you're really beat.All this with a biz pass!

In the last few decades,many people left Blr.,becos of lung/pollution problems.Children developed asthma from the pollution. The recent incident where a lake caught fire has this dire prediction,which the city fathers and administrators must act on a war footing to save the city.This yr. there is going to be a drought and severe water crisis.

Will centuries from now people visit ",Bengalauru",by then probably called "Bungle-ru",an empty shell like fatehpur Sikri,that magnificent city of red sandstone built by Akbar-the -Great,with the greatetst entrance in the world,the Bulund Darwaza,a city which attracts lakhs of visitors each yr. from abroad,abandoned supposedly because the water supplies ran out.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017 ... table-2025
City of burning lakes: experts fear Bangalore will be uninhabitable by 2025
The illegal dumping of waste mixed with mass untreated sewage in India’s Silicon Valley is creating a water crisis which threatens residents’ health – and is causing the city’s famous lakes to catch fire

Bellandur lake, the city’s largest body of water covered in a thick layer of vegetation, burned for hours on the evening of 16 February 2017. Photograph: Aaditya Sood

Deepa Bhasthi in Bangalore
Wednesday 1 March 2017
On the evening of Thursday 16 February, residents in the south-east part of Bangalore noticed huge plumes of smoke rising into the sky. The smoke was coming from the middle of Bellandur Lake – the biggest lake in the city at a little over 890 acres. They realised the seemingly impossible had happened: the lake had caught fire. Even fire fighters wondered how a blaze in water could be put out.

The fire in the lake burned for 12 hours and left behind a sinister black patch in the centre, according to some eye-witness accounts.

This is the new story of Bangalore – state capital, India’s Silicon Valley, and once upon a time, the “city of lakes”. The reasons why these lakes are able to catch fire begin to explain why scientists at the influential Indian Institute of Science believe Bangalore will be “unliveable” in a few years’ time.

A lethal mix of factors create an environment that merely requires the slightest of triggers for lakes to go up in flames. Untreated effluents pour into the waters from the many industries and homes on its banks, illegal waste disposal takes place on a large scale – often including rubbish which is set on fire – and invasive weeds cover large swathes of the lake in a thick green canopy.

The latest incident is not the first time the lake has caught fire; it happened in May 2015. A few days later, it was in the news again for being covered in snow-like froth, which began to swirl up in the summer wind, engulfing passers-by. The froth was the result of chemical waste dumped in the lake, and was toxic enough to crack windshields, wear the paint off car hoods and exacerbate the severe respiratory issues that have plagued citizens in recent years.

Pedestrians cover their noses as they cross a bridge over a frothing canal, which once carried water from Bellandur Lake to Varthur Lake, in east Bangalore in 2015.

Pedestrians cross a bridge over a frothing canal leading to Bellandur Lake in 2015. Photograph: Manjunath Kiran/AFP/Getty Images
Dr TV Ramachandra, coordinator of the Energy and Wetlands Research Group at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), has been studying the lakes in Bangalore, especially Bellandur and Varthur, for over two decades. He explains that an estimated 400-600 million litres of untreated sewage is let into the lake catchment every day, creating a toxic environment fertile for disasters like the fires and foam.

“The city overall generates between 1,400 and 1,600m litres per day of untreated sewage,” he says. “20-30m litres per day is generated from the apartments in the vicinity of Bellandur Lake. There are several invasive species like water hyacinths growing in the lake, thick enough to walk on. People dump solid waste on top of it. Because of the thickness, it creates an anaerobic environment in the water below, where methane is formed. It creates an ideal environment for catching fire.”

Bangalore's lake of toxic foam – in pictures

He believes there are too many agencies governing the lake, so they all blame each other for such incidents. “The Bangalore water supply and sewerage board should be held responsible for letting the untreated sewage into the water,” he says, adding that the onus should also be placed on the Karnataka state pollution control board for not regulating industries that have been draining their untreated sewage into the lake.

Although the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act and The Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act require action to be taken over such matters, the government has mostly remained silent, while its departments have been passing the buck around. The National Green Tribunal has issued notices to all the agencies involved.

Long before it began its slow and painful death, Bellandur Lake was part of a clever water and irrigation system devised by the founders of Bangalore in the 1600s, giving it the “city of lakes” moniker. The streams formed at the top of surrounding valleys were dammed into man-made lakes by constructing bunds. Each of these lakes would harvest rainwater from its catchments and the surplus would flow downstream, spilling into the next lake in the cascade via storm water drains or raja kaluves. The bodies of water would in turn serve the needs of the population.

An woman walks past contaminated water at a landfill on the outskirts of Bangalore in 2015.

In the 1970s, there were still 285 lakes in the city, making it self-sufficient in its water needs. Today, however, there are just 194 lakes, and the large majority of them are sewage-fed. The rest have been lost to encroachments – by the Bangalore Development Authority, private real estate developers and illegal builders – to cater to the booming housing needs of a city of 10 million.

Bangalore has been subject to unchecked urbanisation in the wake of the IT sector-fuelled economic boom of the late 1990s. The many software companies that sprung up during the dotcom boom attracted hundreds of thousands of skilled IT professionals from across the country, with thousands more people moving from villages and small towns to the city in search of work.

According to studies by the IISc, rapid urbanisation and expansion between 1973 and 2016 caused a 1005% increase in paved surfaces and decline of 88% in the city’s vegetation, while water bodies declined by 85% between 2000 and 2014.

The rise of the IT sector has also created the problem of e-waste in the city: a 2013 report estimated that Bangalore produces 20,000 tonnes of e-waste per year. Although a formal recycling system for e-waste was set up, 90% of it is dealt with through the informal sector, which is harder to monitor. Unaware of the necessary safety measures, some incinerate the e-waste, releasing lead, mercury and other toxins into the air – and dump the rest, allowing pollutants to infiltrate the groundwater.

Dead fish washed up on the banks of Ulsoor Lake in 2016. Photograph: Jagadeesg Nv/EPA
If one lake habitually catches fire, then another throws up thousands of dead fish every other summer. Ulsoor Lake, which doubles up as a picnic spot with boat rides and snack vendors on its banks, saw dead fish floating on its waters last year owing to the pollution caused by untreated sewage and consequent depletion of dissolved oxygen.

The water pollution in Bangalore poses a serious threat to residents’ health and creates a chronic shortage of clean water for people to use. All in all, experts predict a severe water crisis which will make Bangalore uninhabitable by 2025, with residents potentially having to be evacuated.

In the aftermath of the latest fire, I spoke to Aaditya Sood, an IT professional who watched the flames from his 10th floor balcony. He said he had seen the lake being “choked” in the seven or eight years he has lived there. “I have two kids and respiratory issues are a problem,” he says. The toxins from the lake get into the air, according to Ramachandra, noting that the cases of lung-related medical conditions have increased drastically in the city recently.

Is India's 100 smart cities project a recipe for social apartheid?

Another resident, Vandana Sinha, who works for a consultancy firm, says the smoke from the fire almost immediately caused itchiness at the base of her throat. She had heard that seven to eight trucks worth of garbage was being dumped into the lake every night, adding to the lethal combination of pollutants in the waters.

Report after report by expert committees have recommended several short and long term measures for rescuing the city’s lakes. Stopping the dumping of garbage, treating sewage water before it is allowed into the lakes, checking encroachments and slowing the development agenda are top of the list.

In the next three years, if the same rate of development continues, the built up area in Bangalore is expected to increase from 77% to 93%, with a vegetation cover of a mere 3%. Ramachandra is determined to get the bureaucracy to act before it is too late. While the city may not fully cease to exist, without drastic improvement the other possibilities still sound impossibly grim.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

^^
Philip,

Why are you blaming IT?

Any other industry bringing in so much money at such a short time would have produced the same results (pulling in people from all over the places).
Are other cities liveable? Visited old areas of Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Kolkata (the list can go on)? There is no IT there.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

There is an active garbage mafia (yes a mafia even for disposing garbage) in BLR. A couple of years ago when a nearby village near BLR created a raucous due to stanch of the dumped garbage, then several folks came forward and offered their help in setting up huge digesters to convert garbage in to biogas as well as manure. The garbage mafia resisted heavily and I think as usual corruption reigned and no such proposal moved forward even though there was massive lip support by administration. Not fault of IT industries...failure of BLR/KA administration as usual.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Philip wrote:How we're destroying our cities thanks to rampant corruption involving our pol. leaders,bureauracracy,police,etc. Bangalore is a prime example where the IT boom has really led to "doom" for the city whose infrastructure is now crumbling and burning.
Here it is not the IT Boom which is to be blamed. IT boom only brought in more jobs and more money to people in general. That money could have been used wisely by the people who run Bangalore city as well Karnataka state. But they (as a city & state) squandered away the money they got, and I am sure when things get tougher here the "locals v/s outsiders" and "outsiders destoryed this city" mantra would be taken out.

But I do wonder at times, Karnataka had many a good scheme done up years back. They were kind of "pioneers" in many things. They had developed the Bannerghatta National Park way back in the 1960s, when many cities did not even have a "zoo". They had such beautifully maintained gardens (Lalbagh in Bangalore, Krishnaraja Sagar near Mysore) which was kind of a "must see" for any large tourist groups (from KL, TN etc.). They had good museums like Viswesarayya Museum which had working models explaining scientific concepts. And this was all before the IT boom. Which makes me think, the money which came in through IT boom; where did at all go?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

ArmenT wrote:Looks like President Trump is getting serious about the quality of software engineers coming to this country. Two different engineers questioned at two different airports:
Aussie’s weird immigration interview in the US
Software engineer detained at JFK, given test to prove he's an engineer
so whatever terminal MFD they have must have integrated such quizzes into the workflow now to screen people, complete with answers and a bank of questions he can pull up by pressing a button.

but i wonder if TCS implemented that application on a federal contract ? :twisted:
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Sachin wrote:Which makes me think, the money which came in through IT boom; where did at all go?
Perhaps??
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I read of a lot of similar raids but what happens to these people - are they tried and put in jail for corruption or sneak away quietly with a suspension from service or in rare cases dismissal with all their money except the seized assets intact.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Philip sir, while your points about the ecological destruction a beautiful city and mindless development are all valid, did you have to fire from the shoulders of Al-Guardian of all outlets? I mean, they cannot come to India and take a breath in a natural forest, but have to stay inside a drain to be comfortable (if you get my drift). We ourselves post and share these articles and then turn around and :(( :(( on why foreign media writes like this onlee. As a senior poster, I expected better from you sir.

P.S. This year's Aero India was decent w.r.t. traffic, except on the last day. The problem usually (and magnified on the last day) is people's expectation (as you yourself posted) of being able to drive right up to the airfield in their own vehicle, and then turn around and complain about traffic. BMTC ran special AC volvos from all parts of the city and stopped right in front of the main gate of the AFS. Since they were bound for the airport, they could take the dedicated lanes and avoid most traffic beyond Hebbal. So one could have driven to a city bus station like Shantinagar and parked and taken the bus. Much simpler, lower stress, comfortable ride. My point is, criticize all you want, but give credit where due.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Singha wrote:I read of a lot of similar raids but what happens to these people - are they tried and put in jail for corruption or sneak away quietly with a suspension from service or in rare cases dismissal with all their money except the seized assets intact.
Most likely "swalpa adjusht maadi" onlee

P.S. Ref how Mantri mall reopened in no time.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

The cases will go for 15+ years, it goes to arbitration panel, courts and what not. Some do pay the money and get off, others keep prolonging, but IT dept is like an elephant, they never forget.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

The latest Wikileak dump shows the US govt literally spies on its own citizens with backdoors built into US made products (willingly) by major tech manufacturers.
Marten
BRF Oldie
Location: Engaging Communists, Uber-Socialists, Maoists, and other pro-poverty groups in fruitful dialog.

Post by Marten »

Encryption is rendered pointless since endpoints are compromised with full control over the OS itself.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Marten wrote:
Neshant wrote:The only question is when not if the entire database will be stolen... if it hasn't already.
And you base your assertion on? Either you have never seen the inside of a data centre or you haven't been exposed to secure installations. Please elaborate the reason instead of providing baseless opinion.
Ah yes... the secure installation.

Secured with the software & hardware with built in back doors and tapped up the wazoo courtesy of you-know-who.

The latest Wikileak dump of the extent to which the US govt spies on its OWN citizens it out. One can only imagine what effort they put into spying on foreign countries. Only Indian bureaucrats could be dumb enough to engage Microsoft in a technical discussion on how to setup the national biometric ID card.

As I said, its only a matter of time of WHEN not if the entire database will be stolen. Anyone who disagrees has been living under a rock for the past many years.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

A recent Poster on this forum, Yogi, founder of Stayzilla, is in deep trouble

He and his colleague are in police custody, they have been threatened by their politician landlord and have had run in with some media agency

Link : https://www.nextbigwhat.com/stayzilla-f ... issue-297/
Stayzilla founder, Yogi and his colleague Sanchit and their families are in BIG trouble. The company had shutdown earlier, but the goons are threatening them and unfortunately, there has been very little support from the police and other government agencies (rather, they are using their power). Here is a series of events that happened post the shutdown. As we speak, Yogi is in custody.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Various startup CEOs and investors from firms such as Matrix Partners, MobiKwik, Freshdesk and others have come forward to expressed support for Vasupal on social media.

Vasupal pointed the deficiencies in the system when a company tried to wind down operations in India. About 90 percent startups fail in the country; however, winding down is a painful procedure which can take up to three years.

“There is no use of having jumped so many hoops to be a private limited company thinking that it will limit individual liability, when people at senior levels in police don’t even understand the difference…or can pretend not to know it,” Vasupal said, in the blog which was saved as draft and published today by his wife.

He remains in custody.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Really sad and scary read. Hope it all works out well soon.

Didnt understand what the landlord/politico/goon was so upset about with regards to vacatin the premises? These are the scariest of the lot which roam all over Bluru
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busine ... 50631.html

Sandeep-Radhika Aggarwal divorce might end in a battle of control of ShopClues

As India immersed itself in the festival of colours on Monday, Sandeep Aggarwal was agonised – not because he doesn’t like playing Holi, but because he was away from what was once his family, his wife and his children.

ShopClues founder, Aggarwal (also founder and CEO of used-car marketplace Droom) is going through a bitter separation with Radhika (they share the second name), who is also the co-founder of the company. This might just be the beginning of a fight of who controls ShopClues.

Aggarwal took to Facebook to vent out his frustration, and alleged that his wife was having an illicit affair.

While Aggarwal didn’t take names, reports are rife that the affair is with her “boss”. Sanjay Sethi is the CEO and co-founder of ShopClues.

Read more

ShopClues’ Aggarwal files defamation case against wife and other co-founder
Keep the faith in Indian start-ups, don't blow the whistle
In conversations over months, Aggarwal has indicated that he is the original founder and brain behind e-commerce firm ShopClues, which is valued at over a billion dollars, and caters to the largely unorganised tier-II, III and IV market.

In multiple Facebook posts (some of them he deleted later) Aggarwal hinted of being short-changed by Radhika and Sethi. In a long Facebook post he bulleted 11 points, two of which said, “… intentionally and deliberately kicking out two other founding team members by collaborating with the current co-founder, (and) calling themselves (Radhika and Sethi) founders now. Changing web history, tempering with Wikipedia and lying in the press, “my co-founder and I founded the company and my husband also joined the company”. These are the lies, gross exaggerations and cheap attempts to mislead the whole world, yourself and generations to come.”

Aggarwal has always maintained that he is the founder of ShopClues, and the divorce might signal the beginning of a battle of control of the e-commerce firm. Soon after Aggarwal put out the post, his public relations team put out a statement: “He lost love of his life, ShopClues, and hardly gets to see kids and that took a toll on his emotions.”

What is worrisome is that though Aggarwal’s involvement in day-to-day operations stopped in 2013, he continues to the largest shareholder in the company. He also claimed in a (deleted) post that Radhika took away his “voting rights”.

In earlier discussions, when things were better between the couple, Aggarwal had said that he had withdrawn from ShopClues because of his insider trading case in the US, in which he had pleaded “not guilty”.

Meanwhile, Aggarwal has reportedly filed a defamation case against the co-founders of ShopClues in the Delhi court.

His Facebook post also hinted that the present co-founders are incapable of running a company that he built. “Stay home mom for six years and prior to that only 18 months as entry level business analyst and straight away getting vice-president’s job from once husband,” he wrote.

In another post Aggarwal wrote, “When people start calling themselves co-founders and start lying about the formation of a company, its history, its vision, and main brain behind it, those people prove themselves how non entrepreneurs they are in their demeanor and that they are at best highly insecure and below average executives who got lucky once.”

ShopClues co-founders did not respond, however, the company’s public relation manager said that she will respond to the HT’s query. Even one of its investors (both in Droom and ShopClues) declined to comment on the developments, and said that it is best in interest of the people concerned to talk.

This might just be the beginning of a long drawn battle of love, hate and control of one of India’s few billion-dollar startups. What is at stake is the image and reputation of ShopClues.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Sachin wrote:Karnataka had many a good scheme done up years back. They were kind of "pioneers" in many things. They had developed the Bannerghatta National Park way back in the 1960s, when many cities did not even have a "zoo". They had such beautifully maintained gardens (Lalbagh in Bangalore, Krishnaraja Sagar near Mysore) which was kind of a "must see" for any large tourist groups (from KL, TN etc.). They had good museums like Viswesarayya Museum which had working models explaining scientific concepts. And this was all before the IT boom. Which makes me think, the money which came in through IT boom; where did at all go?
KARNATAKA did jack sh*t. LalBagh, Cubbon Park, the major infra and indeed Bangalore itself was when it was MYSORE State and ruled by the King. After independence, it continued and after Karnataka as a state was formed. However, starting mid 80s, it quickly went down the toilet. And thanks to this IT/Vity boom, it has become an organised loot.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I believe BDA did for some good projects like jayanagar. jayanagar is the size of a medium town. their last layout formation was around 2002 with banshankari in SW & HBR and HRBR layouts in north section of ORR. after that the frenzy for monetising land and hunger for money by everyone got so much nothing could make progress. arkavathy went zero.

basavanagudi and malleswaram were two of the oldest planned layouts in india some 100 yrs(?) ago and probably predate the BDA by decades.

I think things really went south from around 2004 (when I arrived on scene) - the pop influx increased from all sides, and builder-neta nexus really took wing to monetize every scrap of land. that was about when ORR and whitefield EPIP was just completed. Elec city was the only real itvity park in town then.

population in city has surely 5X since then in 12 years and vehicles some 20X.

its a megacity hiding under garb of a sheep and ruled by wolves.....devanhalli to hosur is 100km. bidadi to hosakote 70km. all is populated and built up with minimal infra and planning. 7000 sq km is a megacity in any book. megacities need world class rulers and planners not village level robbers in charge. like LA its a patchwork of small towns and villages that aggregated without a central PLAN or CORE(s). LA got around that problem with massive freeways. perhaps Cheen megacities like beijing have both freeways (4 ring roads) and suburban rails. NYC has various trains from all sides.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Isn't Stayzilla CEO a member here?

Travel startup Stayzilla CEO Yogendra Vasupal arrested

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/sma ... 638915.cms
BENGALURU: Travel startup Stayzilla, which announced halt of its operations last month, ran into fresh trouble with its founder and chief executive Yogendra Vasupal taken into custody by commissioner of police in Chennai and locked up in Puzhal prison, a source ET spoke to confirmed.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

vina wrote:
Sachin wrote:Karnataka had many a good scheme done up years back. They were kind of "pioneers" in many things. They had developed the Bannerghatta National Park way back in the 1960s, when many cities did not even have a "zoo". They had such beautifully maintained gardens (Lalbagh in Bangalore, Krishnaraja Sagar near Mysore) which was kind of a "must see" for any large tourist groups (from KL, TN etc.). They had good museums like Viswesarayya Museum which had working models explaining scientific concepts. And this was all before the IT boom. Which makes me think, the money which came in through IT boom; where did at all go?
KARNATAKA did jack sh*t. LalBagh, Cubbon Park, the major infra and indeed Bangalore itself was when it was MYSORE State and ruled by the King. After independence, it continued and after Karnataka as a state was formed. However, starting mid 80s, it quickly went down the toilet. And thanks to this IT/Vity boom, it has become an organised loot.
/OT
And it was Hyder Ali who created Lal Bagh (nominally under Wodeyar at the time) and Cubbon by the Angrez (also nominally under Wodeyars)
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

An interesting tweet about infosys maintaining ATP website.

source - https://twitter.com/bgtennisnation/stat ... 7237540865

sudhakara rao @pattabhivet
@bgtennisnation why ATP website was revamped..IBM is much better than infosys support. website always crash
4:48 PM - 15 Mar 2017
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

I am currently working on 2 projects, medium scale, a bit complicated. Following are the stakeholders.

Business, Developers (vendors/inhouse), testing team, environment management team, BA.

All of the above are in different countries. BA gets the product and requirement list with defects ready for implementation and fix. Dev and testing team are busy playing the blame game. Business is getting frustrated with the constant delays and changes in go-live date.

As a Proj Mgr,I have to step in to ensure that daily defect meeting goes well, vendors are brought in line else they provide a end of day update and disappear doing zilch.

Run the group chat so that focus and pressure is maintained.

I doubt if automation really will work in such complex, semi-complex scenarios.