Bharat Rakshak Forum Announcement

Hello Everyone,

A warm welcome back to the Bharat Rakshak Forum.

Important Notice: Due to a corruption in the BR forum database we regret to announce that data records relating to some of our registered users have been lost. We estimate approx. 500 user details are deleted.

To ease the process of recreating the user IDs we request members that have previously posted on the BR forums to recognise and identify their posts, once the posts are identified please contact the BRF moderator team by emailing BRF Mod Team with your post details.

The mod team will be able to update your username, email etc. so that the user history can be maintained.

Unfortunately for members that have never posted or have had all their posts deleted i.e. users that have 0 posts, we will be unable to recreate your account hence we request that you re-register again.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Seetal

Indian IT Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vivek_v
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 84
Joined: 03 Apr 2011 08:03

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby vivek_v » 20 Jun 2017 22:12

@NRao sir, please don't get me wrong but I am not very clear on what you are trying to convey by quoting my reply.

I have been using DL for some time now though __not__ as anyone who was created new architectural papers or new forms of normalisation/networks but speaking as a user of these techniques and I can assure you that there is nothing "Neural" about neural networks.

It is just a fancy optimisation/approximation algorithms with added stuff for non-saturating (at least less) nonlinearities. I was replying to the post where you have mentioned that knowledge of human brain was needed whereas, actually what's needed is only working knowledge linear algebra, calculus and probability/statistics. Good programming skills and masters degree in computer science won't hurt either. Knowledge of human anatomy is not really required.

KJo
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9445
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 02:54

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby KJo » 24 Jun 2017 01:08

Our so called flagship IT companies are so shameless they go to other countries and commit violations of law.
$1M is nothing. They should be barred from business in the US.

Where is that joker NaMu who talks about ethics when all he did was violate laws and bend them when he was CEO?

New York fines Infosys $1million for work visa violations
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/busi ... 291339.cms

Highlights

Infosys allegedly provided instructions to employees on B-1 visas how to deceive US consular officials
The company denied all allegations
Four years ago, Infosys agreed to pay $34 million (Rs 215 crore) in penalties

prahaar
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2777
Joined: 15 Oct 2005 04:14

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby prahaar » 24 Jun 2017 01:30

KJo, many companies get caught in breach of law.

For example, MS is repeatedly fined by EU for various anti-trust actions. Companies try to maximize their advantage and when they break the law, pay the fine. What is so particularly scandalous about visa fraud fine to an Indian IT company?

http://www.politico.eu/article/antitrus ... oft-again/

https://www.xda-developers.com/report-e ... st-issues/

Do you know the largest mobile device market refuses to respect any international intellectual property regime? They have developed a thick skin, they do not get ashamed. This is a competitive global business, everyone punches in the parts best suited to them.

negi
BR Mainsite Crew
Posts: 12905
Joined: 27 Jul 2006 17:51
Location: Trying to mellow down :)

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby negi » 24 Jun 2017 09:33

kJo's favourite fruitco is a tax theif they owe over 14 billion to EC .

Javee
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2320
Joined: 13 Jan 2003 12:31
Location: NJ

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby Javee » 24 Jun 2017 11:08

Even with boatloads of money they make, fruitco is asking for tax concessions from KA govt. All companies are here to make money, why single out Infy?

In other news, restructuring in my kb, some heads are rolling :(

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 60360
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: Lupine but moderately dharmic

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby Singha » 24 Jun 2017 11:11

met a old colleague who has moved onto a large consulting co in iot/smart cities.
he said some 80 or 90 cities so far have been selected under smart cities.

about 2000 cr will be given to each one. but they say thats nowhere near enough for complete soln, but a start.
very few totally new cities like amravathi AP
a few are new satellite towns like new raipur chattisgarh
the rest are retrofits on top of old cities

things like sewage and water will come from separate funds like swacch bharat

180,000 cr is the initial kitty at 90x2000 ... over 5 yrs ...

he correctly pointed out netz current routing woes are rooted in a fateful decision around 2012 to lay off a HW team that designed our custom fwding engines. so marketing SVP type must have convinced the higher ups that custom hw was passe and to throw in our lot with broadcom for merchant L2 and L3 silicon. trident and jericho. well guess what arista and probably juniper also use the same. people now realized these cheaper boxes might sell but hard to keep margins. so another team was rebuilt for custom Asics and are now working on the next gen. what a sheer waste to throw away the people who knew the ins and outs and could have had it ready by now instead of yrs out. i personally knew of some very a1+ types who were cut in that unexpected round. meantime juniper kept its head and is selling 3 tbps cards vs the 2tbps we huffed and puffed on merchant silicon to fcs.

arshyam
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2708
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby arshyam » 24 Jun 2017 11:29

As always, it's desi companies' fault all the time. So why does the US not just go ahead and debar these companies from the US as KJo wants? Problem solved right, all amriki desis can live life happily ever after with heads held high?

Something to ponder about.

Santosh
BRFite
Posts: 647
Joined: 13 Apr 2005 01:55

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby Santosh » 24 Jun 2017 15:09

KJo probably got outsmarted by some "onsite" variety from Infy/Oil Co. Hence his deep distrust of Indian IT giants :rotfl:

Ankar
BRFite
Posts: 107
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 02:57

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby Ankar » 24 Jun 2017 15:23

looks like we have our very own 'Preet Bharara' type on BRF :roll:

saip
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3328
Joined: 17 Jan 2003 12:31
Location: USA

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby saip » 24 Jun 2017 20:24

negi wrote:kJo's favourite fruitco is a tax theif they owe over 14 billion to EC .

But they are all 'White' companies, no? So they commit no sin. Only the brownies.

KJo
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9445
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 02:54

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby KJo » 24 Jun 2017 21:17

Santosh wrote:KJo probably got outsmarted by some "onsite" variety from Infy/Oil Co. Hence his deep distrust of Indian IT giants :rotfl:


Lol. You wish.

saip, If FrootCo is following the rule then there is nothing to be done. Change the rule. I think the rule is unfair and they've lobbied with the Govt to allow them to pay less tax. Why will anyone pay more if they don't have to?

Ok, so I point out what these crooked companies do and I become a Bharara? Niiiice.
Last edited by KJo on 24 Jun 2017 23:39, edited 1 time in total.

KJo
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9445
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 02:54

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby KJo » 24 Jun 2017 21:19

arshyam wrote:As always, it's desi companies' fault all the time. So why does the US not just go ahead and debar these companies from the US as KJo wants? Problem solved right, all amriki desis can live life happily ever after with heads held high?

Something to ponder about.


If they broke the rule, then it is their fault. Does not matter who it is. There is no law to debar a company so that won't happen. And should not.
This visa fraudsters need to be dealt with severely in any case.
And that goes for Microsoft and others too. I know they do these things also. I used to work for a well known US company who used to post fake jobs. Shockingly the HR lady emailed me confessing it when I applied to an internal "job".

Sabko andhar kar do!

Even with boatloads of money they make, fruitco is asking for tax concessions from KA govt. All companies are here to make money, why single out Infy?

In other news, restructuring in my kb, some heads are rolling :(


That is part of negotiations. KA can say no. Then Froot decides what it has to do. There is nothing wrong in this, it happens everywhere.
Make money, but don't break rules. If you break rules, then pay the price. INFY got off lightly. Other companies that do this need to be cracked down on as well.

arshyam
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2708
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby arshyam » 24 Jun 2017 21:31

KJo wrote:
arshyam wrote:As always, it's desi companies' fault all the time. So why does the US not just go ahead and debar these companies from the US as KJo wants? Problem solved right, all amriki desis can live life happily ever after with heads held high?

Something to ponder about.


If they broke the rule, then it is their fault. Does not matter who it is. There is no law to debar a company so that won't happen. And should not.

Then why ask for this? Just because they are desi?

KJo wrote:This visa fraudsters need to be dealt with severely in any case.
And that goes for Microsoft and others too. I know they do these things also. I used to work for a well known US company who used to post fake jobs. Shockingly the HR lady emailed me confessing it when I applied to an internal "job".

Sabko andhar kar do!

How nice. Where was this 'equality' in your previous post? It takes some one to call out your nonsense and then these egalitarian notions come out.

KJo
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9445
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 02:54

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby KJo » 24 Jun 2017 22:14

arshyam wrote:
KJo wrote:
If they broke the rule, then it is their fault. Does not matter who it is. There is no law to debar a company so that won't happen. And should not.

Then why ask for this? Just because they are desi?

KJo wrote:This visa fraudsters need to be dealt with severely in any case.
And that goes for Microsoft and others too. I know they do these things also. I used to work for a well known US company who used to post fake jobs. Shockingly the HR lady emailed me confessing it when I applied to an internal "job".

Sabko andhar kar do!

How nice. Where was this 'equality' in your previous post? It takes some one to call out your nonsense and then these egalitarian notions come out.


OK, so you want me to write a thesis with all business rules every time I make a post? No, I won't do that.

When I say INFY is a crooked company, it does not mean that MSFT is not a crooked company. It just means that I am talking about INFY and it's infinite crookedness.

When I say "Pakistanis are terrorists", I don't have to add a rider that "Saudis are terrorists too!". It's just that I didn't feel like talking about Saudis. Samjhe?

My personal experiences have been with INFY/TCS (esp TCS), so I talk about them. First hand experience. I have not had any first hand experience with MSFT's crookedness, but have read about them. I wrote about the other American company that did visa fraud (first hand exp), so I have written about it. That American company is large and has an office in India as well.

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 60360
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: Lupine but moderately dharmic

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby Singha » 24 Jun 2017 23:23

so why dont you go ahead and name that american co , as you readily do with TCS ?

KJo
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9445
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 02:54

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby KJo » 24 Jun 2017 23:31

Singha wrote:so why dont you go ahead and name that american co , as you readily do with TCS ?


I will leave that to others to 'expose' based on what they have seen. My experience of visa fraud has been with that one US ex-employer of mine which I don't want to name here for privacy reasons as it is associated to me on my resume and LinkedIn etc. TCS is not. :) I know for a fact that they do because as I said the HR lady emailed me saying the job was fake so don't bother to apply to it. She was probably new and didn't know that she was putting the company at risk.

There is another large US retail co in my area that always seems to have a lot of jobs and good ones too, but they very rarely call. The company is going down the sundaas and closing stores daily, but their tech jobs are all top notch and always increasing. Something does not smell right.

Whether MSFT does visa fraud or not, I don't know for sure. If you or anyone else knows, they can post about it. My guess is they do, but it's a guess. But I do know Billoo Badshah and other CEOs lobbied (bribed) Congress to make it easier to get cheap labor here so they can benefit. They also lie that "we don't have enough skills in the US" after killing the market (self fulfilling prophesy)

I seriously don't see the reason of taqleef. If I have made wrong assumptions, please do share. My denouncements are regardless of where the company is.

negi
BR Mainsite Crew
Posts: 12905
Joined: 27 Jul 2006 17:51
Location: Trying to mellow down :)

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby negi » 25 Jun 2017 12:49

KJo wrote:saip, If FrootCo is following the rule then there is nothing to be done. Change the rule. I think the rule is unfair and they've lobbied with the Govt to allow them to pay less tax. Why will anyone pay more if they don't have to?

Are you sure you want to argue on these lines ? Rule being unfair ? :mrgreen: You do realize that someone could then on same lines argue that American visa laws are unfair to Indian IT companies and they are technically right for it does make it difficult to carry out business with their model when visa rules get tighter specially when the Visas are given subjectively as against objectively.

Violating a tax law at corporate level is a financial crime , technically speaking Visa frauds are not done by companies but by individuals if you remember filling in any Visa be it US or other country it is individual applicant's responsibility to ensure that application is accurate and does not have false documents , company only sponsors the Visa in strict sense.

arshyam
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2708
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby arshyam » 25 Jun 2017 13:15

KJo wrote:My personal experiences have been with INFY/TCS (esp TCS), so I talk about them. First hand experience. I have not had any first hand experience with MSFT's crookedness, but have read about them. I wrote about the other American company that did visa fraud (first hand exp), so I have written about it. That American company is large and has an office in India as well.

Maybe so, but this is the first time you are naming some amir-khans, that too after much prodding. While we can write a Ramayanam with your past 'writings' about Infy/TCS. It only goes to show this statement is not really true:

KJo wrote:My denouncements are regardless of where the company is.

Vikas
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5764
Joined: 03 Dec 2005 02:40
Location: Where DST doesn't bother me
Contact:

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby Vikas » 25 Jun 2017 13:32

So top mgmt in my KB decides to throw out a number to be achieved and now all of us Monkeys need to chase these numbers.
How, no one knows. Just that we need to do better than last year else...'some of you may lose your job.'
Everyone acts as if just an extra effort would help tide over this gap while whining during daaru sessions.

Who hires these multi million dollar earning top management ppt champions who define targets based upon how it can help them meet their bonus targets. No idea beyond throwing out jazzy words like IoT,Cloud,Automation,Innovation, passion and bigger picture.

Sachin
Webmaster BR
Posts: 6897
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Undisclosed

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby Sachin » 26 Jun 2017 21:20

Santosh wrote:KJo probably got outsmarted by some "onsite" variety from Infy/Oil Co. Hence his deep distrust of Indian IT giants

KJo's experience with TCS folks is an epic story in BRF ;).

KJo wrote:Where is that joker NaMu who talks about ethics when all he did was violate laws and bend them when he was CEO?

This was also done by companies like Vegetable Oil.Co as well. But when the B1 applications started getting scrutinised more, slowly they also started sending "business promotion/sales" chaps on such Visas. I remember reading a sorrowful post of a blogger (from a smaller company) who was caught trying to misuse a B1 VISA. He was detained by the INS folks, locked up for a night at their holding cell and then deported. It was his passport which had the seals and notice that he was deported from the US, and his plans to visit US (and many other countries) took a hit.

Veg.Oil.Co also some how ensured that none of their folks go via Boston airport. The INS folks manning the immigration desks out there were said to be too nasty and either cut short the time of stay in US, or blocked their entry.

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 60360
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: Lupine but moderately dharmic

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby Singha » 26 Jun 2017 21:46

my first trip to usa was on b1 visa for a month of training after i joined nortel - and landed in boston. me and my colleague were sent off to their level2 processing of 'troubling' cases and after some unknown checking they did online and a few queries were let in with a warning that "you gents cannot work here in the sense of getting paid" - this was in 1997 (!) so if INS was on the hunt even then, the abuses of B1 must have started in early 90s itself (!) . could see a few other itvity guys in that dugout, along with the usual assortment of middle east ppl and some flaky looking euros who i would assume had visa less entry but triggered some other red flags @ level1. not really a tough experience but yeah not a great welcome either.

btw my friend was saying his FIL had taken some meds for throat cancer treatment....and this had side effect of wiping his fingerprints out. 2 times he went for tourist visa fingerprinting and both times they failed to take it, finally on 3rd attempt they bounced him up to the consulate and there were somehow able to capture the prints and grant him a visa. never knew of this little angle.

negi
BR Mainsite Crew
Posts: 12905
Joined: 27 Jul 2006 17:51
Location: Trying to mellow down :)

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby negi » 26 Jun 2017 21:54

A lot of people get man handled at Massa border simply because they have literally mango people working in the NSA and and immigration . Nothing wrong with it but the issue is lot of them are not aware of the world outside the USA , their general knowledge about the visitors from abroad is as good as fox and nyt which in any case paint a very cliched picture. Visas were always over subscribed because the addressable business in the USA continues to remain huge , basically if there were no Visa caps each of Indian IT companies would have been close to 4 lakh people each in headcount and at least double their today's revenue already.

Gus
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7957
Joined: 07 May 2005 02:30

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby Gus » 26 Jun 2017 22:01

Singha wrote:so why dont you go ahead and name that american co , as you readily do with TCS ?


it is the caste system of american company with very less indians, american company with lots of indians, indian company in usa, indian company in india :rotfl:

Yayavar
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4759
Joined: 06 Jun 2008 10:55

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby Yayavar » 26 Jun 2017 22:59

ha ha! poor TCS sneaks in at the bottom. Is INFY higher sub-caste :D

SBajwa
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4492
Joined: 10 Jan 2006 21:35
Location: Attari

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby SBajwa » 26 Jun 2017 23:19

by Singha
my first trip to usa was on b1 visa for a month of training after i joined nortel - and landed in boston. me and my colleague were sent off to their level2 processing of 'troubling' cases and after some unknown checking they did online and a few queries were let in with a warning that "you gents cannot work here in the sense of getting paid" - this was in 1997 (!) so if INS was on the hunt even then, the abuses of B1 must have started in early 90s itself (!) . could see a few other itvity guys in that dugout, along with the usual assortment of middle east ppl and some flaky looking euros who i would assume had visa less entry but triggered some other red flags @ level1. not really a tough experience but yeah not a great welcome either.


I knew several people in 1990s - 2000s who were working with IBM conversion over to Unix, Y2K, etc. Then overnight after year 2000 lots of these became "Java and Web" experts.

KJo
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9445
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 02:54

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby KJo » 26 Jun 2017 23:31

SBajwa wrote:
by Singha
my first trip to usa was on b1 visa for a month of training after i joined nortel - and landed in boston. me and my colleague were sent off to their level2 processing of 'troubling' cases and after some unknown checking they did online and a few queries were let in with a warning that "you gents cannot work here in the sense of getting paid" - this was in 1997 (!) so if INS was on the hunt even then, the abuses of B1 must have started in early 90s itself (!) . could see a few other itvity guys in that dugout, along with the usual assortment of middle east ppl and some flaky looking euros who i would assume had visa less entry but triggered some other red flags @ level1. not really a tough experience but yeah not a great welcome either.


I knew several people in 1990s - 2000s who were working with IBM conversion over to Unix, Y2K, etc. Then overnight after year 2000 lots of these became "Java and Web" experts.


The only reason this scam worked is because there were greedy (and stupid) people on both sides.
Scammy Indian companies presented them as experts to greedy US CEOs who were too stupid to realize that you get what you paid for. But later I realized that these CEOs didn't really care because they would use the 3 year window to loot the company and scoot to another CEO gig somewhere else. Win win for them.

ManSingh
BRFite
Posts: 122
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 17:30

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby ManSingh » 27 Jun 2017 06:03

^^^ I disagree ( we can disagree, I hope ).

I believe Java would have been just beginning to get popular in the year 2000. So what were the Indian and american CEO's supposed to do. What would be the source of Java experts, if you may wish to answer?

Sometimes it is convenient to turn a blind eye just to get the work done. AFAIK, a manager's job ( I am not a manager by any stretch ) is to get the task completed anyhow. Being stingy does not help in any which way.

For starters check the number of Machine learning/Deep learning/data scientist vacancies in USA on glassdoor? Grand total is 100K plus job vacancies. This is predicted to reach half a million jobs in year 2020.

[b]Analytics alone is 300K vacancies right now./b]

Where do you think CEO's of american companies will find "experts" in all such domains?

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 60360
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: Lupine but moderately dharmic

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby Singha » 27 Jun 2017 07:12

UG programs in data science have started just about now in US univs. there will be a long lag before the world has enough ppl trained in these fields trained as in proper years of semester level courses and term projects, not taking a course or two in coursera.

KJo
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9445
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 02:54

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby KJo » 27 Jun 2017 20:02

Google breaks the law and pays a hefty fine. Well deserved.

High time countries crack down on crooked companies screwing around with laws to get unfair advantage. :evil:

EU slaps Google with record $2.7 billion fine

European Union regulators slapped Google with a record €2.4 billion ($2.7 billion) antitrust fine on Tuesday, the latest broadside fired at big American tech companies doing business in the region.

The European Commission found that the U.S. tech giant denied "consumers a genuine choice" by using its search engine to unfairly steer them to its own shopping platform.

Regulators said that Google must change its behavior within 90 days or face additional penalties.

"What Google has done is illegal under EU antitrust rules," said Margrethe Vestager, the bloc's top antitrust official. "It denied other companies the chance to compete on the merits and to innovate. And most importantly, it denied European consumers a genuine choice of services and the full benefits of innovation."

Google (GOOGL, Tech30) said in a statement that it tries to show ads in ways that are helpful for buyers and sellers.

"We respectfully disagree with the conclusions announced today," a Google spokesperson said. "We will review the Commission's decision in detail as we consider an appeal, and we look forward to continuing to make our case."

KJo
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9445
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 02:54

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby KJo » 27 Jun 2017 20:06

ManSingh wrote:^^^ I disagree ( we can disagree, I hope ).

I believe Java would have been just beginning to get popular in the year 2000. So what were the Indian and american CEO's supposed to do. What would be the source of Java experts, if you may wish to answer?

Sometimes it is convenient to turn a blind eye just to get the work done. AFAIK, a manager's job ( I am not a manager by any stretch ) is to get the task completed anyhow. Being stingy does not help in any which way.

For starters check the number of Machine learning/Deep learning/data scientist vacancies in USA on glassdoor? Grand total is 100K plus job vacancies. This is predicted to reach half a million jobs in year 2020.

[b]Analytics alone is 300K vacancies right now./b]

Where do you think CEO's of american companies will find "experts" in all such domains?



100k+ vacancies? AOA! Can you provide references for this? Maybe I should have negotiated harder.

"Experts" :lol: Come on Saar. You don't become an expert by doing a 2 month NIIT course or watching a Youtube video. Nothing wrong in doing that to learn and do some work or a foot in, but to call oneself an "expert" is a bit too much. I've done a lot of Java in my career, and I've seen what goes on and how good these "experts" are.

Let's admit it, the ONLY reason is cheaper cost. Nothing else. Then to justify this, US companies :(( that there is no talent here. If you kill the market first, then how can talent come up?

ManSingh
BRFite
Posts: 122
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 17:30

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby ManSingh » 27 Jun 2017 20:20

KJo wrote:
ManSingh wrote:^^^ I disagree ( we can disagree, I hope ).

I believe Java would have been just beginning to get popular in the year 2000. So what were the Indian and american CEO's supposed to do. What would be the source of Java experts, if you may wish to answer?

Sometimes it is convenient to turn a blind eye just to get the work done. AFAIK, a manager's job ( I am not a manager by any stretch ) is to get the task completed anyhow. Being stingy does not help in any which way.

For starters check the number of Machine learning/Deep learning/data scientist vacancies in USA on glassdoor? Grand total is 100K plus job vacancies. This is predicted to reach half a million jobs in year 2020.

[b]Analytics alone is 300K vacancies right now./b]

Where do you think CEO's of american companies will find "experts" in all such domains?



100k+ vacancies? AOA! Can you provide references for this? Maybe I should have negotiated harder.

"Experts" :lol: Come on Saar. You don't become an expert by doing a 2 month NIIT course or watching a Youtube video. Nothing wrong in doing that to learn and do some work or a foot in, but to call oneself an "expert" is a bit too much. I've done a lot of Java in my career, and I've seen what goes on and how good these "experts" are.

Let's admit it, the ONLY reason is cheaper cost. Nothing else. Then to justify this, US companies :(( that there is no talent here. If you kill the market first, then how can talent come up?


Open glassdoor.com. Type analytics. Choose country as United States. Choose the category as jobs( instead of company, interviews option). Click search.

Do let us know the number of vacancies you see. You may do the same for other kinds of jobs.

I can say that there are enough vacancies to justify outsourcing. The motives or reason behind why americans dont take such jobs is beyond me.

It cannot be and is not cost. Indian firms charge between 80 and 150 an hour in usa depending on skill category. There is no reason american firms cant hire americans for half that rate. Offshore rates are around 35 an hour. Still good enough to pay an american.

KJo
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9445
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 02:54

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby KJo » 27 Jun 2017 20:35

ManSingh wrote:
Open glassdoor.com. Type analytics. Choose country as United States. Choose the category as jobs( instead of company, interviews option). Click search.

Do let us know the number of vacancies you see. You may do the same for other kinds of jobs.

I can say that there are enough vacancies to justify outsourcing. The motives or reason behind why americans dont take such jobs is beyond me.

It cannot be and is not cost. Indian firms charge between 80 and 150 an hour in usa depending on skill category. There is no reason american firms cant hire americans for half that rate. Offshore rates are around 35 an hour. Still good enough to pay an american.


I see a high number, but I am skeptical. I have been watching Sears for about 10 years now and wanted to get in there. They always had tons of jobs posted, literally 1000s. Almost impossible to get a call. I then found out that they were not real jobs, they posted them there to look like things were happening. The company is failing but they need to project an image. Just imagine a company with a career page with ZERO listings. Would look Pathetic.
I joined a smaller company with 300 people some years later. They would do the same. The company was failing, but always had a lot of jobs on offer. :roll: Eventually they laid off a lot of people (thank Brophetji) but they always look "vibrant" in their job listings page. I have a friend who is still there and he tells me the internal stories.

The company prior to that would post fake jobs to fool Dept of Labor. The HR lady (a hot young gori) foolishly emailed me back saying the job was for immigration purposes and wasn't a real job.

So let's not let optics fool us. The real number may be much different.

What kind of jobs pay $150/hr to foreign nationals? Let me know and I would like to apply too. That is about $300k/year.
Last edited by KJo on 27 Jun 2017 20:50, edited 2 times in total.

negi
BR Mainsite Crew
Posts: 12905
Joined: 27 Jul 2006 17:51
Location: Trying to mellow down :)

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby negi » 27 Jun 2017 20:42

Cost should not be viewed on per unit/person basis we have architects here in Bangalore who draw more than 100k USD in India , surely company does not pay that kind of money to people because they are cheaper same people could be easily relocated to USA and get much more efficiency and productivity by cutting down on overheads that come with outsourcing. Outsourcing works well when done in an 'organized' manner that is why Indian IT companies add value . If you had 100 positions to fill and you outsourced them to 100 individuals say contractors you will not be able to establish accountability and hence will not be able to ensure delivery of the project now if the same 100 positions were filled via a company or say couple of companies you can now manage the contract and delivery much better , of course assuming individuals are of similar capability.

USA is a huge market much bigger than it's domestic pool can fill , I mean technically speaking a huge chunk of the students passing out of US universities are again H1B holders only . Issue is people often crib because things would have been EASIER had their been no outsiders :) Now that is a point I am willing to concede . Things are easy on the job front there the same company will hire a BS in non computer science in the USA but here we do not hire anyone outside of IITs or a couple of select NITs , that kind of screening is possible because of demand pressure . Here we pride ourselves in those excruciating 8 rounds of interviews whereas the same company will close the same position in the USA after at most 4 rounds of interview and in any case interviews in the USA are chatty . These are hard facts and they hold true for even likes of MSFT and Google .

Now where does USA really have talent and upper hand ? If you are hiring in research or say positions where you need folks with MS and above qualifications that is where USA has a genuinely large talent pool .

ManSingh
BRFite
Posts: 122
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 17:30

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby ManSingh » 27 Jun 2017 20:45

Hmmm, possible that they are fake. I couldn't tell.

The foreign national won't get $150. His/her company would. General rule is 50% margin for companies based in India. Rest 50% for the employee.
Also $150 per hour billing rate would be a niche skill like full stack architect etc. Most common programming jobs are billed between 80 and 95 per hour.

KJo
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9445
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 02:54

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby KJo » 27 Jun 2017 20:52

ManSingh wrote:Hmmm, possible that they are fake. I couldn't tell.

The foreign national won't get $150. His/her company would. General rule is 50% margin for companies based in India. Rest 50% for the employee.
Also $150 per hour billing rate would be a niche skill like full stack architect etc. Most common programming jobs are billed between 80 and 95 per hour.


Even for $95/hr, what kind of jobs are these? What vendor companies? The number seems high to me, but I am not aware of the rates now.

ManSingh
BRFite
Posts: 122
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 17:30

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby ManSingh » 27 Jun 2017 21:01

Standard java, C programming. Nothing out of the ordinary. Companies that you despise will be included in the list.

KJo
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9445
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 02:54

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby KJo » 27 Jun 2017 21:09

ManSingh wrote:Standard java, C programming. Nothing out of the ordinary. Companies that you despise will be included in the list.


I despise only crooks and thieves. If these companies stop doing that as their business model then no one will despise them.

I find your numbers hard to believe. Why would anyone pay someone from a foreign country (with all legal hassles) something like $95/hr when they can pay far less here and attract more people into programming jobs? People here aren't stupid like many in India think. IT did not make sense because everything was getting shipped outside, so didn't appear to have long term future.

negi, I've done case interviews during Yem Bee Yay recruiting and trust me, they weren't "chatty".

SBajwa
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4492
Joined: 10 Jan 2006 21:35
Location: Attari

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby SBajwa » 27 Jun 2017 21:27

Data Scientists aka Hadoop, big data, etc. All it means is to keep all of your logs (web logs, phone logs, etc) into "Big Data Hadoop" . I call it "Junk Data". Then data science means how to filter out this data to get some meaning out of it. for example

"How to capture terrorists based on their messages" aka irregular chatter.
"How to suggest items to specific users " aka Linkedin.com and amazon.com suggests stuff based on your past likings.
and so forth!!

Data Science is all going to grow because of enormous amount of data that we have around us. Telephones, game consoles, cars, planes, any gadget, refrigerators, televisions, factories data, medical data, etc. they all have data that Data Scientists will analyze and figure out various ways in future!

It is because of Data Science that Uber, Google and Amazon is successful!

ManSingh
BRFite
Posts: 122
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 17:30

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby ManSingh » 27 Jun 2017 21:54

KJo wrote:
ManSingh wrote:Standard java, C programming. Nothing out of the ordinary. Companies that you despise will be included in the list.


I despise only crooks and thieves. If these companies stop doing that as their business model then no one will despise them.

I find your numbers hard to believe. Why would anyone pay someone from a foreign country (with all legal hassles) something like $95/hr when they can pay far less here and attract more people into programming jobs? People here aren't stupid like many in India think. IT did not make sense because everything was getting shipped outside, so didn't appear to have long term future.

negi, I've done case interviews during Yem Bee Yay recruiting and trust me, they weren't "chatty".


Again, like I said. 95 is not a person cost. It is a company billing rate. As someone pointer out earlier, cost can not be factored on a per person basis.
Regarding the fact that you don't believe in my numbers. Well it's your choice. I am not bluffing. Can't say more here.

Prasad
BRF Oldie
Posts: 6576
Joined: 16 Nov 2007 00:53
Location: Chennai

Re: Indian IT Industry

Postby Prasad » 27 Jun 2017 22:08

negi wrote:Now where does USA really have talent and upper hand ? If you are hiring in research or say positions where you need folks with MS and above qualifications that is where USA has a genuinely large talent pool .

Of predominantly overseas students in many many sectors. In many sectors americans just dont enter. How many stem graduates are americans?


Return to “Technology & Economic Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests