Indian Autos Thread -2

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
adityadange
BRFite

Re: Indian Autos Thread -2

Post by adityadange »

I dunno how well Fiat is doing as well
They are not interested in selling cars but only in selling engines. Looking at number of having the 1.3L MJD cars sold in india we can safely assume they are doing fine.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

>>I dunno how well Fiat is doing as well...they have been quiet recently

they have been sleepwalking for as long as I can remember their brand in India.
TKiran
BRFite

Post by TKiran »

Fiat has been selling with the brand name of JEEP. New dealerships have come up.
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

FIAT rule Indian automotive under the Burkha. India's national diesel engine is the FIAT 1.3L multijet.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Heard Maruti/Suzuki's 1.5 DDIS is due, wonder what FIat will do then. But somehow don't like the Monopoly of Suzuki/Maruti in India. They held onto to key technologies, used to import engines and gearboxes till early 2000's, till other manufacturers starting making engines in India. Many of their hits since 2010 are deliberately structurally very weak for more mileage. Making a joke of the fame rules through SHVS. The Indian consumer will be much poorer if other manufacturers pull out saying Indians are only interested in Suzuki and Hyundai, if Mahindra/ Tata don't get the volumes also, we could go back to a situation where it is a seller's market. I feel by this so called Maruti obsession we are creating a situation where we will 2 dominant manufactures in our market who will play take it or leave it. People are being tactically brilliant and failing strategically.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

given the long hours our truck drivers put on the road, in the interest of their health and public safety, its time for GOI to mandate a minimum std for the trucks cabs which should have the kind of features like those prima cabs above - far too often cheap 3rd party cabs are put on to save cost (like the wooden howdah thing on the roof) with hard seats and such.

the 3rd party body shops need to upgrade and truck fleet owners need to be made to pay a little more than using their drivers to the bone
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

SC has issued a judgement today banning of Sale of all BS-3 emission norms vehicles in India from April 1. Apparently, there are close to 824,000 unsold BS-3 stock. Except some huge discounts on BS-3 vehicles over the next 2 days LOL. Good time for anyone looking to buy a vehicle now.
Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) had submitted that the companies had a stock of 8,24,275 BS III compliant vehicles which included 96,724 commercial vehicles, 6,71,308 two wheelers, 40,048 three wheelers and 16,198 cars.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Mostly its not possible to sell now because regn would be next week and after april1 saturday no can do

Some will get sold with bs4 engine swapped in. Rest of car is fine.

Some will get exported to bs3 level markets in afroasia

I dont see cause for end of days panic. Metro cities were already bs4 for long
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

If the discounts are steep, I think its worth buying, for eg, Innova, BS3 was selling 50k cheaper when BS4 was introduced. Now if the discounts are north of 1L, then its better to get it, than the ugly looking Crysta.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Crysta is awesome saar. wish I had one. should be a great vehicle for long road trips with family. or fold up the seats and store cycle and sports gear
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

Try the new Hexa, the only worrying factor is the Tata badge or else i would've been all over it. I checked around, there are no BS3 innovas available, most of them were sold in 2015-2016.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Dyno test after VW cars caught in dieselgate

http://teknikensvarld.se/dieselgate-vol ... ix-456111/

This begs the question it is now clear many of these after market remaps seem to screw emissions. I think we need to fine to fine owners deliberately tinkering with exhausts and remaps screwing up emissions. too many guys are using remps and tinkering with exhaust of thier cars these days. Most of them rich brats.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

^^ This is a known thing, there is a reason why these guys get re-programmable chips. With out exhaust mod, it will be difficult to catch these folks on the road.
KarthikSan
BRFite

Post by KarthikSan »

Javee wrote:Try the new Hexa, the only worrying factor is the Tata badge or else i would've been all over it. I checked around, there are no BS3 innovas available, most of them were sold in 2015-2016.
I bought one of the last few BS3 Innova ZX in TN (Nov'15 model) in Feb 2016 and got a total offer of 50K. The BSIV was only for metros at that time and all Tier2 cities got BS3. I believe they sold out all of them before launching the Crysta atleast in TN.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Singha wrote:Crysta is awesome saar. wish I had one. should be a great vehicle for long road trips with family. or fold up the seats and store cycle and sports gear
Tata Hexa is much better that Chrysta both from driving and riding pleasure / comfort. The looks are slso something to die for. Tata has turned a new leaf and it's new generation vehicles such as Tiago, Hexa, Rigor, etc., are atleast one notch better than competition. They are setling for a discounted price point until they establish themselves as a premium brand.

I got my parents a Tiago and they love it. Much better than i10.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Gentlemards of BRF - What would be your recommendation for a vehicle (SUV or Sedan) in 9-12 Lakh range?
TKiran
BRFite

Post by TKiran »

Go for Scorpio
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

rohitvats wrote:Gentlemards of BRF - What would be your recommendation for a vehicle (SUV or Sedan) in 9-12 Lakh range?
Totally depends on the use case. City use, self drive or offroad use case and requirement on mileage and maintenance. SUV and Sedan satisfy entirely different use cases. There are also cross breeds like Vittara Brezza or Ford Ecosport.

Team-bhp.com is an excellent source for research into automobiles. Find the best one for your needs. Often conventional / popular wisdom wouldn't be the right one. Do your research and test drive multiple vehicles to get a feel for the one you like best.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

For offroading and / or mountain terrain, MPVs are a bad choice compared to real SUVs. Recently visited Sikkim and noticed how Innovas got stuck in snow while 4*4 Sumos and Scorpios navigated up/ downhill snow driving in a much safer manner. Obviously 4*4 SUVs should be the defacto choice for cabs in hilly areas..But many were operating Innovas which are higher priced but poorly suited to the conditions there.

There is a perception that bigger or more expensive vehicles are better regardless of vehicle type.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

Not really, people choose innova for comfort, it puts even the expensive German suv's to shame in Indian conditions. Innova is one of the best mpv's in India today, so don't compare it with traditional Suv's and particularly sumo or scorpio, body roll is legendary. What pisses me off the regular price increases and no innovation from Toyota on this space.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the ecosport does have a raft of safety features, spacious inside but the engine is a bit noisy vs typical honda engines. ours is 4cyl petrol AT @ 18000km in 2 yrs and no problem so far. they have a turbocharged 3 cyl petrol also which is more fuel sippy. its steering column is from RHS country so its ulta to our indian style. seat cushion length is a bit short for long trips...so not super great thigh support

it glides over bumps and holes which would rip the heart out of a sedan. I dont have to clench my butt like in my hcivic....no constipated feeling.

we or rather my wife has driven it at 140km on highway.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

some focus and movement in improving governance at the state level. Not there yet but hope reins supreme

Now, register vehicle, apply for licenses from home

For,those so,inclined here is some mirth :

The governments Vahan website

Click on the Goa state website in the above link. Come on, be brave and sporting, do it.

Ok now, did you not find the result funny :rotfl: ? Oops, I apologise if you didn't. Please don't beat and lynch me. This is the state of many grass roots level e-governance initiatives Am sure, or at least hopeful, that in time this will be sorted.

Oh and if you are still game, click on the 'maharashtra' link. I stopped after these 2.
Last edited by rahulm on 11 May 2017 10:43, edited 2 times in total.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Now that we are, finally, about to unify the country with the GST, can we do away with this silly NATIONAL PERMIT' business to,allow free movement of commercial vehicles in the country ?
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Fist let them permit Indian road tax rather than state road tax. It's really pain in back side to change registration or keep old registration and pay for new state road tax again. Everything takes ages and all the while, you'll have a cop stopping you and many of them don't even know the process of registration change.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

RTOs are up there with Customs and Excise as the most corrupt wings of bureaucracy. Trying to do away with stupid hurdles (which are put there for the express purpose of corruption) will meet with very stiff resistance.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

rohitvats wrote:Gentlemards of BRF - What would be your recommendation for a vehicle (SUV or Sedan) in 9-12 Lakh range?
If you go on longish drives or need to carry people and stuff SUV any day. It's practicality trumps sedan's.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Ka has a huge rto checkpost in attibele near hosur border

Will these go away with GST? Or it awaits a unified national vehicle regn scheme and national road tax to replace state level which states r never going to give up?
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

A RTO, forest or any check post is a den of corruption.

Since we pretty much don't follow laws, I say, 'legislate all these petty laws' away. I don't think it will make any material difference to the status quo (timber will still be transported as it is now, sand will still be trucked, trucks will still be overt loaded, people will still not have PUC's, alcohol will be bought in and taken out of Goa over permissible limits etc etc) I am sure you get the picture.

The difference will be these @$&* check post rent seekers employed at the expense of the public purse will not have the backing of laws to monetise public services for their private pecuniary benefit.

The issue is, existence of rules and laws sets exoectations of probity in the minds of many only to meet with the prevailing harsh ground reality.

Have you seen any shop,in India comply with the 'light and ventilation' requirements of the Shops and Establishment Act ? Get rid of that diabolical thing or implement it. I say, get rid of it. We like our spaces to be narrow,dark stuffy and dimly lit. :rotfl:

Once, the Goa police on the Kiranpani check postnhad the temerity to demand a Rs 100 'tax' from me to drive a MH registered car into Goa. I refused. But, the sheer brazenness of it all boggles the mind.

Legislate footpaths to be market places and strongly encourage all intersections (chowks) to be open shopping malls and all roads to be shared between peds and motor vehicles. Legalise all manner of sentient life both, fair (cattle) and fowl(human) to have first right of way and indefinite right of stay on all roads- at least for Hens :mrgreen: sake.

When we can't or won't (or both) implement our laws it better not to have them.Let's declare ourselves to be lawless -at the very least, pass an amendment that all road and transport laws are 'suggestions which people are strongly encouraged to follow'. at least, this way, there will be consistency and congruence between the statutes and reality.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Reuters India‏Verified account @ReutersIndia
Niti Aayog report recommends lower interest rates on loans, taxes, electricity tariffs for electric vehicle taxis

Reuters India‏Verified account
@ReutersIndia
Niti Aayog report: Limit registration of petrol, diesel cars through public lotteries
I know these are recommendations but while first is a welcome step, IMO second is stupid. They should try to come up with better recommendations.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

So far this NITI Aayog hasn't shown much out-of-the-box thinking. A better dressed (and perhaps better accented) planning commission...

Why don't they try to address real problems like the check-post congestion, smoother inter-state transfers, etc.? Or come up with a better self-funding model for cities to fund and improve public transport including metros? There are many such places where a lot of brain power is needed instead of floating these trial balloons on public lotteries - yeah right. Have a lottery and bring back the license raj and 3 year wait for a Bajaj Chetak!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

these border check posts are careful not to bother private cars with out of state plates...i have always crossed into TN and once in AP with no issues as is the law. they make money quietly from taxis and trucks...actually taxis already need some inter state permit which expiry varies from state to state from as low as a few days to a month or so. that RTO post is where a tithe is gathered for the cause and then distributed all around.

near hosur there is one. and on holiday weekends, long tines of southbound taxis will be there getting that permit.

we need all these gone in favour of a central road tax and no direct taxes to state RTOs, center should collect and distribute and vehicle regn & driver license should be universal across all states with uniform tests, tools and process. this will eliminate a massive corruption but howls from state govts deprived of their weekly meat.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Talking about my ES 1.0 Ecoboost- its a delight to do long drives, in 14K in 2.5 years, I would done 3k within chennai city and 11K outside Chennai City. Feels much safer and much more grip in 205 section tyres than my Dad's city.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Singha wrote:near hosur there is one. and on holiday weekends, long tines of southbound taxis will be there getting that permit.
Why not make this process online? It's the simplest thing - vehicle #, reg card/DL#, state, duration. e-pay, print and done. But then RTOs will go out of business, and I mean business in the literal sense.

I once checked the process in Chennai - apparently, you can apply for an out-of-state permit online, but still will have to go to some place in Porur and collect the pass. Defeats the purpose, and will only add to congestion. No govt wants to willingly reduce sticky-ness of their public facing touch-points, this is where orgs like Niti *could* help.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

arshyam wrote:Why not make this process online? It's the simplest thing - vehicle #, reg card/DL#, state, duration. e-pay, print and done.
Because you're making the mistake of coming up with sensible ideas.
rvishwakarm
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rvishwakarm »

Looking for MUV in sub 10 lac range

Confused between Honda WR-V, Maruti SCross & Hyundai Creta(bit higher on price IMHO)!!

To be used for Daily Commute to office ~3Km in Mumbai
Weekend trips, once a month ( all Ghat sections around mumbai, Mum-Pune expressways, goa maybe)

Any recommendations??
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

read the team bhp forums. they will have more car reviewers and in-depth reviews if you search.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

rvishwakarm wrote:Looking for MUV in sub 10 lac range

Confused between Honda WR-V, Maruti SCross & Hyundai Creta(bit higher on price IMHO)!!

To be used for Daily Commute to office ~3Km in Mumbai
Weekend trips, once a month ( all Ghat sections around mumbai, Mum-Pune expressways, goa maybe)

Any recommendations??
I'd suggest you take a test drive. Nothing beats the experience of driving yourself. Ask for atleast 15 20 km drive. Drive in different conditions, traffic, highways, sit for sometime in back seat to see space, under thigh support, seats etc.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Anybody who has been to Goa, should have experienced the disproportionately high taxi fares (robbery) and absence of App aggregators.

The taxi mafia has been successful, thus far, in keeping the App aggregators out and no one, not even the great MP has the cojones to show,leadership and take these goons on.

Mahesh Sardesai has started a campaign to bring App aggregators into Goa but hasn't received any traction from MP.

Instead, the head of th taxi mafia feels,perfectly safe and well within his rights to openly threaten Sardesai and then asks taxi operations to hunt him down.
Responding to Mahesh Sardesai's Change.org petition, general secretary of North Goa Tourist Taxi owners association Vinayak Nanoskar openly threatened the petitioner in a Facebook post through his personal account.

"Mahesh Sardesai, you do whatever you want, but don't try to ruin us. One day, all Goa's taxi owners will come to your home, if you have (one) because bhadwas don't stay with family. So my request to all taxi owners, please search were he stays. Let (us) all we show him how big goondas we are." (sic)
Shouldn't this guy be arrested and hauled to jail for an open and ominous threat and for inciting his fellow goons ? Instead, this goonda roams free. Rule of law !

Pretty much every 'lobby'. In India turns into a goonda operation.

Our politics is designed to protect this interests of goons and disregard the larger common good and progress.

Read it all here Citizen step up fight for app-based taxi service in state

While we bemoan the judicial overreach in our country, what else can we expect when the elected Executive largely panders to interest and lobby groups, wilfully ignoring its duties? Nature abhors a vacuum and Executive apathy is filled by the Judiciary.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

Except for WRV the other choices seems to be diesel which is an overkill for your running. Creta and s cross will not be in sub 10 lakhs. Scross turbolag is your dampner for city. You should also consider Ecosport petrol